Page 76 of 79 FirstFirst ... 26667273747576777879 LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,600 of 7878

Thread: Valley Line LRT | Downtown to Millwoods | Under Construction

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    Immediately east of 97 st they have dug down a lot ! Any idea why ? The tracks will be at grade a few blocks east. Moving utilities perhaps ?
    Water retention tank.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Did it have to be so deep ? Why not tie into existing infrastructure ? I would have assumed that ideally there would be nothing under the tracks. Now in the future if any work needs to be done on the retention tanks it could impact the trains. Usually things are moved out of the way of tracks.
    I was really surprised to see that excavation, especially when you see some of he track bed further east is almost at grade. I'll take a look at Trans Ed website to see if there is anything there.
    Thx

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

All this rain has got to be affecting their progress. The long term forecast doesn’t look much better.

C2E SME

East of 97 Street, the Quarters Station is being built.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

100 Street intersection updates

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

One thing that I like seeing is the sidewalk construction on Connors Road. This is a much-needed access to the river valley.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    All this rain has got to be affecting their progress. The long term forecast doesn’t look much better.
    It's slowing everything down..on the whole construction isn't the best in Edmonton right now, unless you're a huge company with lots of inside work.
    Animals are my passion.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    One thing that I like seeing is the sidewalk construction on Connors Road. This is a much-needed access to the river valley.
    Which side is the sidewalk going on.

C2E SME

The inside (south side) of Connors Road.

Wasn't there always a sidewalk along the southside of Connors Road?

edit: Meant northside of road. Doh!
    Last edited by Medwards; 05-07-2019 at 03:48 PM.

C2E SME

From what I recall there was only a sidewalk on the northside, hillside.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Google Maps confirms there was a sidewalk on the northside of Connors Road.. nothing on the uphill side.

C2E Continued Contributor

Uh oh spaghetti-O's - just see that Bombardier has laid off 550 workers in Thunder Bay - isn't that where they're making our trains?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I saw that too and was wondering

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Uh oh spaghetti-O's - just see that Bombardier has laid off 550 workers in Thunder Bay - isn't that where they're making our trains?
    No Kingston
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Full Bombardier lay off is here.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/bombardier-layoffs-thunder-bay-1.5206009

I think our cars have already been built waiting to take delivery. I hope.

Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Well if they're made in Kingston - which I don't think they are - why would you be "hoping" that they were made already?

Administrator *

Our trains are being made in Kingston, not Thunder Bay. The whole reason they are laying off is because they have no more orders to fulfill. Don’t worry, this doesn’t affect us at all.

Good...one less obstacle that our group needs....could care less if Bombardier went bankrupt after our order was filled....

Intersection at 100 St has the bricks being laid. Hopefully with decent weather they’ll open up a week early like 101 St.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

I will have to go for another photography session if I have the time.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

^me too

Lets get at 'er boys...chop, chop

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I still think we should have bought our cars from Siemens. The Avenio types of cars would have been great here and we have had a good relationship with Siemens in the past.

https://new.siemens.com/global/en/products/mobility/rail-solutions/rolling-stock/trams-and-light-rail/avenio.html

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

These photos that SDM and others are posting here on this project are awesome. Thanks for posting them boys, keep up the good work.

Yikes, looks like our fearless leader 'ol Kenney wants to put the brakes on Calgary's Green Line.....which is good since we lost our SuperLab - Sh*tkicker town can lose something as well........

Yeah, the Green Line has become a major, divisive issue down there.

As for the Valley Line cars evaneo - that wasn't the city's decision. The decision was that of the P3 consortium that won the bidding.
    ... gobsmacked

Expect Valley West to also be on the chopping block.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Yeah, the Green Line has become a major, divisive issue down there.

As for the Valley Line cars evaneo - that wasn't the city's decision. The decision was that of the P3 consortium that won the bidding.
    Thanks. I didn't think that the City had anything to do with the Valley line cars contract. As for Calgary's Green line its proposed to be a $7b project. We have funding in place already for WLRT don't we?

We HAD funding in place.

Bit hard to find $1.04B in Provincial money from the climate leadership plan now that we have no carbon tax, climate leadership, nor plan.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...nton-1.4887712

The projects are made possible through the NDP's climate leadership plan, which "some folks" would like to see cancelled, Notley said."If we listen to them all of this construction would be stopped," Notley said. "We don't agree with that approach."
    "Some folks" are now running Alberta.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I was never a fan of this carbon tax repeal scheme of Kenney's. It was revenue neutral. Even Jim Prentice was thinking about a made in Alberta carbon tax solution. Its in his book.

All that R&D work gone to waste. So then is WLRT line axed? Is Blatchford not far behind?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I will have to go for another photography session if I have the time.
    Earlier this afternoon with a few minutes to spare...

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I was never a fan of this carbon tax repeal scheme of Kenney's. It was revenue neutral. Even Jim Prentice was thinking about a made in Alberta carbon tax solution. Its in his book.

All that R&D work gone to waste. So then is WLRT line axed? Is Blatchford not far behind?
    The LRT is still 2/3’s funded by the municipal and federal governments. Edmonton should fight this if the Valley Line LRT gets axed!

C2E SME

^^ One thing I like about the new intersections is that the sidewalks have better wheelchair and walker access with the streets.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post

The LRT is still 2/3’s funded by the municipal and federal governments. Edmonton should fight this if the Valley Line LRT gets axed!
    Thanks. The _Cat.

Better to build with 2/3rds of the existing funding in place then just let the WLRT languish waiting for the rest. Besides if there is a new (fingers crossed) federal administration, then chances are they could make up the difference as the line is being built.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Great photo above. One for city archives for sure.

The WLRT plan calls for a storage facility at the western terminus. A bit hard to include that if you can only build 2/3 of the line. You could expand theoretically expand the new SE storage faility but it's already under construction and changes would have to come out of the budget for the SE line.

Drove the hole length of the new line. quite impressed by the amount of work the last few months. the new station on 75st is going to be spectacular. the few slow section line Connors hill and the bridge now seem to be moving along. 100st may be open in a week or 2.

C2E SME

I just hope they can finish paving at a couple south side intersections that could be opened very soon.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Apparently the 100st work is ahead of schedule.
    www.decl.org

One intersection ahead of schedule, the entire line a year behind.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    The WLRT plan calls for a storage facility at the western terminus. A bit hard to include that if you can only build 2/3 of the line. You could expand theoretically expand the new SE storage faility but it's already under construction and changes would have to come out of the budget for the SE line.
    Then build half but that would take it to about Jasper Place terminal

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Apparently the 100st work is ahead of schedule.
    Which is quite impressive considering the rainy weather. A lot of the flyover girders by Davies Station are also up, and the first concrete was poured for the Bonnie Doon traffic circle intersection.

The question remains if the SE yard has space to allow those addition trains to be stored and maintained there. If not, the city would either have to fund the expansion itself or go to the province and feds for a cost sharing which would take time. They can't just tack it onto the existing contract without opening a huge can of worms.

C2E SME

I have to admit that I have been pleased to see lots of the concrete track bases south of Bonnie Doon in poured and in place already. If they can get certain stretches completely finished, minus maybe the actual cantenary lines, it would go a long ways in public relations in regards to not having as many construction sites and delays on the southside.

They now have all the bridge spans south of the Wagner station in place so it would be nice to finish the curbs and roadway on 75st to its final configuration and let traffic better there again.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The question remains if the SE yard has space to allow those addition trains to be stored and maintained there. If not, the city would either have to fund the expansion itself or go to the province and feds for a cost sharing which would take time. They can't just tack it onto the existing contract without opening a huge can of worms.
    Shouldn't there be enough room for all LRT low floor cars along both Valley and WLRT in the Gary Wright maintenance facility currently under construction? If a car breaks down along WLRT, why not dispatch a team from Mitchell? I'm sure Valley/WLRT has overflow track built into the design for emergency like Capital...right?

How are they not going to have ice dam problems on the tracks in winter time with the way they are pouring the concrete right up to the rails at same elevation? Plus in Millwoods I'm seeing areas where hills could easily lead to pooling areas. Much like roads experience when the road surface is not appreciably elevated.

Are we doing a surface rail build out with no thoughts to this being a winter climate or one that is predisposed to really bad storms and intense rains?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    How are they not going to have ice dam problems on the tracks in winter time with the way they are pouring the concrete right up to the rails at same elevation? Plus in Millwoods I'm seeing areas where hills could easily lead to pooling areas. Much like roads experience when the road surface is not appreciably elevated.

Are we doing a surface rail build out with no thoughts to this being a winter climate or one that is predisposed to really bad storms and intense rains?
    Track snow clearing equipment, drainage installed in median slabs and LRV mass should take care of it

Shouldn't there be enough room for all LRT low floor cars along both Valley and WLRT in the Gary Wright maintenance facility currently under construction? If a car breaks down along WLRT, why not dispatch a team from Mitchell? I'm sure Valley/WLRT has overflow track built into the design for emergency like Capital...right?
    There might be space, there might not be. It depends on how much space they've allocated. The plan has always been that there would be a storage yard at the western end of the Valley Line so there may not be additional space beyond a small amount of expansion.

On a related note, there's plans for another storage facility just south of the Henday when the LRT gets down there.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Would be nice if somebody here more mobile then me could get some current photos of Gary Wright maintenance facility.

Just asking

Quote Originally Posted by Payment Certificate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Track snow clearing equipment, drainage installed in median slabs and LRV mass should take care of it
    In our snow freeze thaw conditions what prevents any drainage getting clogged like most drainage does in the winter? Additionally how much can be quickly drained. Some of the line experiences dips and elevation changes. Pooling and ice build up could occur one would think.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Looks like the rain didnt slow them down this is good now if we can only see the bridge over the river taking shape that would be great

C2E SME

I took a look at 95 Avenue, and it looks like some parts of it have been leveled in preparation for paving (e.g., 91-92 Street)

C2E SME

The North Saskatchewan LRT bridge is coming along. I imagine that we'll see the bridge being built in the fall.

C2E SME

Glad to see this intersection complete, so I guess the next intersection they will move to is 97 street? The other two intersections that need to get work have little to no traffic on them so those should hopefully get done afterwards but hopefully too, just as quickly. I wonder though when they will work on the avenue between the completed intersections.

Indeed, 97 is up next. We are being told that they are aiming to have nearly everything but the stations done by end of year in the Downtown.
    www.decl.org

They are doing a lot of sub surface ground prep by the Winspear. there is some geotec cloth down today so it looks like a they are about to bring in the gravel for the train lines. all the conduit is installed and the sidewalks have been removed. this section may be done sooner as well. be interesting to see how the monthly parking is affected for the Fed building north entrance.

www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Excellent photos Ian, thanks.

First One is Always Free

Update of the rainy Millbourne/Woodvale today:

Updates of the Muttart and river crossing. One of the construction dudes told me that the new station will be located SW of the Muttart Conservatory, and should begin construction later this year.

C2E SME

I saw some paving at the Bonnie Doon Traffic Circle today. Also, I read a tweet that 95 Avenue could be open from 85-87 Street this weekend.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

TransEd had a "Picnic on the Pavement" party on Saturday to celebrate the opening of 95 ave (one-way westbound) from 85-87 street, but the street isn't actually open yet. I was able to run on the sidewalk this morning, though. I didn't get to the party before it was closed down due to torrential downpour, so don't know what (if any) details were shared, but from what I saw on one of the news reports, even one of the neighbourhood curmudgeons was grudgingly almost complimentary.

I have to say, as a resident of Strathearn (and LRT supporter), the last few weeks have been great - TransEd is pouring sidewalks, doing some paving, erecting forms for the trackbeds, etc. I know all that underground stuff had to be done, but it was a long time of no visible progress. I'm starting to feel cautiously hopeful that they really will re-open 95th Avenue not too much later than originally promised

C2E SME

The end of the Bonnie Doon Traffic Circle: http://transedlrt.ca/advisories/bonn...configuration/

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Rip. I always liked the Dooner traffic circle.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Why would they make a map with North to the left?

Why would they make a map with North to the left?

Because under Trump, the south has gone to the right?

The lack of right turn from 83 nb to 90 eb is odd.

Not really, given that you are turning from a SE road to an E road. If there was a right turn, you'd really have to crank those wheels! Not a great idea, especially during heavy traffic.

C2E SME

Not to mention the potential congestion waiting for the LRT.

How will the LRT congestion be any different there than at 82 st and 113 ave or on 112 av and 84 st? Does not seem to be a problem at those locations

C2E SME

I guess time will tell. I imagine that some traffic can detour through 86 Avenue and 79 Street.

C2E SME

Probably the logic is that if anyone wants to go east they will take 82 Avenue. It will definitely take a bit of getting used to, especially those who wish to go to Vimy Ridge School.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Probably the logic is that if anyone wants to go east they will take 82 Avenue. It will definitely take a bit of getting used to, especially those who wish to go to Vimy Ridge School.
    The bingo here. Which makes complete sense and the first thing I thought of. In some instances there is really no need to provide redundant egress.

C2E SME

There will be a Vimy Ridge School Access off of 83 Street.

You are doing an awesome job with the updates SDM! Thank you for doing this.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

'Please keep coming': Downtown cafe concerned about construction road closure

The Nook Cafe in downtown Edmonton is asking its customers to keep visiting the small business as road closures for LRT construction make access a challenge.
    The intersection at 97 Street and 102 Avenue will be closed to traffic for the next four weeks.
    There are no access points to the cafe for people heading north on 97 Street, and the business is voicing concern that it could hurt their business in the long run.

^ Does the City actually give a rat's about this sort of thing?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Nope. When they ripped up 99th street and Scona Road, they could have cared less that businesses were hurt by the year long closure by a sloth like contractor
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Nope. When they ripped up 99th street and Scona Road, they could have cared less that businesses were hurt by the year long closure by a sloth like contractor

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Lol.

Sucks for the businesses now, but it’ll be better for them later.

Yeah, I mean look at how much better things got for Harlow, The Bothy & Call the Kettle Black after the bridge construction on 102 Avenue a few years back.

Oh.

Wait.

They're all closed due to the reduction in street traffic making their businesses unsustainable.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2571518/a...avenue-bridge/

Medwards thinks that is fake news.

I had talked with affected business owners and these construction closures are murderous to small businesses. My wife used to manage a bookstore in the Highstreet and I helped in the store on many occasions so I have first hand knowledge of the importance of walk-in traffic, parking availability and the like. I remember when the landlord changed the parking lot, adding a few reserved signs for the professional offices above. Suddenly customers complained about having to park more than a block away, people came to pick up orders and did not come in. When we called them, we were told that they came, found no parking and went home. We would ship their order by courier at our cost or I would drive to their house and drop it off.

Retail business often survives on less than a 10% net profit. Cutting your walk-in traffic by 50% for an entire year, a season or even just a month can kill even the most resilient business. When businesses close, especially small independently owned restaurants, cafe's, retail shops etc., someone's dream of owning a small business dies. Many will never be able to do it again and the financial effect can be devastating..

Remember, while business are affected by the construction, their rent does not go down, their staff need to be paid unless they are forced to layoff people. Also the COE still demands that the business pay their property taxes. The COE makes little effort to protect businesses or offer compensation during the closures.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 07-08-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Wait until you see the insanity later this month when they rip out the intersection at Scona Road and Saskatchewan Drive to take away the dedicated lane that that construction created in order to take out the centre island and put in new lights to make the turn off of Scona Road onto Saskatchewan Drive a complete right angle one.

You can't make this kind of stupidity up....

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Isn't TransEd in partnership with the ETS/City of Edmonton and what exactly did the Groat road bridge closure have to do with Valley line?

In the end, it all boils down to good/cheap/fast choose 2 and you would choose 2 and complain about not getting 3, just read your signature. Advocating for good/fast/cheap

Medwards thinks that is fake news.

I had talked with affected business owners and these construction closures are murderous to small businesses. My wife used to manage a bookstore in the Highstreet and I helped in the store on many occasions so I have first hand knowledge of the importance of walk-in traffic, parking availability and the like. I remember when the landlord changed the parking lot, adding a few reserved signs for the professional offices above. Suddenly customers complained about having to park more than a block away, people came to pick up orders and did not come in. When we called them, we were told that they came, found no parking and went home. We would ship their order by courier at our cost or I would drive to their house and drop it off.

Retail business often survives on less than a 10% net profit. Cutting your walk-in traffic by 50% for an entire year, a season or even just a month can kill even the most resilient business. When businesses close, especially small independently owned restaurants, cafe's, retail shops etc., someone's dream of owning a small business dies. Many will never be able to do it again and the financial effect can be devastating..

Remember, while business are affected by the construction, their rent does not go down, their staff need to be paid unless they are forced to layoff people. Also the COE still demands that the business pay their property taxes. The COE makes little effort to protect businesses or offer compensation during the closures.
    Thanks for the completely unnecessary trivial anecdotal recollection. Amusing read, but im not disagreeing that businesses are affectsd by road closures from construction. I agree. There is definitely some hardship upon those businesses especially if they rely on customers coming from the road.

Im disagreeing with your idea that the contractor was a sloth. Good/fast/cheap. We choose good and cheap. Thats what was supplied.
    Last edited by Medwards; 07-08-2019 at 12:03 PM.

C2E SME

It looks to me as if they’ve added iron on the north side of the North Saskatchewan bridge in preparation for the LRT bridge.

Just walked by the site. The Nook is still pretty accessible. and if some of their clientele comes from the Fed building it should be easier now since the road is closed to traffic and you are not going to get run over.

Quite noisy on that corner now though with the LRT and Winspear construction started.

C2E SME

Well lets just hope they will be just as quick with this intersection as with the other two that they have done. I wonder if they will try and complete any of the sections berween the intersection anytime soon?

I am quite curious how long it will take for everyone to get used to the elimination of the traffic circle.

C2E SME

So I had to check out the new intersection in action on Friday and it seems ok to me. Not all of it was fully open yet, such as the free flow lane from connors to 83st. I saw 1 car a bit confused what lane to be in going through the intersection but otherwise it seem fairly smooth sailing so far.

C2E SME

My guess is that 90 Avenue traffic will pick up too.

Intersection is bad right now, paving not completed, and going through north from Connors road would bottom out a lot of vehicles. Fortunately I spotted the multiple hazards. Terrible signage as well. Take an exit, any exit...its a guessing game.

A lot of the LRT line the adjacent roads are in such awful condition that just closing them might be preferable. Or warnings of deplorable road conditions. By no means is any of this what people would even reasonably expect of an in city construction zone.

C2E SME

Looks like things are moving along, slowly but surely.

Page 76 of 79 FirstFirst ... 26667273747576777879 LastLast