Page 68 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18586465666768697071 LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,800 of 7044

Thread: Valley Line LRT | Downtown to Millwoods | Under Construction

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Trees will grow though, what bugs me is they are spending money on concrete trackbed, when ballast and ties would work fine. The money they spent on the trackbed could have been used for more bridges or tunnels.
    How would you use that in a 'barrier' free design?

Trees will grow though, what bugs me is they are spending money on concrete trackbed, when ballast and ties would work fine. The money they spent on the trackbed could have been used for more bridges or tunnels.

Every try crossing raised travks with your bike?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

If you look at the north east LRT you have a bike path right beside the rails, no fence. All you need is a higher curb, or low median to keep cars from slipping into the rails in the winter. We don't need to overbuild like they already did on the south portion with high medians, the post and chains on a concrete railbed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5505...7i13312!8i6656

If you look at the north east LRT you have a bike path right beside the rails, no fence. All you need is a higher curb, or low median to keep cars from slipping into the rails in the winter. We don't need to overbuild like they already did on the south portion with high medians, the post and chains on a concrete railbed.

There is almost no concrete rail bed on the LRT.
    How would the NELRT leg support the integrated urban style of the SELRT?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Closeups of the new river valley LRT bridge

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

You know I was just thinking the other day how the NE leg has a completely different set of safety controls....

https://goo.gl/maps/PYHAiBatdc62

This is the pedestrian path to cross the tracks. Basically relies on common sense (unfortunately if you have tunnel vision, and your ears plugged in with bass earphones, you'd run the risk of getting hit by a train).

The new lines have weird zig zags in the paths, crossing arms for pedestrians, and multiple gates. Overkill imo.

Common sense doesn't seem to be common anymore though

C2E SME

Unfortunately, people don't always pay attention. Look at the person who was killed at Belvedere last week.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

Looks like the north cofferdam is done (no more concrete block): http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...s-construction

Administrator *

First three cantenary poles have been installed!!

Valley Line - First catenary poles!!! by Chris Vazquez, on Flickr

C2E SME

I imagine that the track isn't too far away at this point. Also, I read (on Twitter) that the center girder at Whitemud is being replaced (at the P3's expense) because it doesn't meet standards.

Administrator *

^ Yup, Just came across this on TransEd’s Twitter. I guess the Whitemud bridge will be delayed quite a bit.

. @lochlincross @cityofedmonton @doniveson @YEGMayorOffice The girder at Whitemud is being removed because it did not meet TransEd’s quality standards. It is being recast, at no cost to the City or taxpayers.
    https://twitter.com/yegvalleylrt/sta...250303488?s=21

C2E Hard Core Contributor

A bridge delay? That's a first.

C2E SME

Two bridge delays if you count the concrete block in the North Saskatchewan.

C2E SME

Once the tracks are in place on 66st. I hope that they can start getting the roadway fixed up again and brought to its final configuration. BTW it appears they are finally getting the rest of the concrete walls up. The one section I wonder when they will switch traffic over is near the future Wagner station. Part of the final configuration for the road has been complete for months now, but the other part hasn't been worked on from the train tracks to Roper Rd much yet.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

I'm guessing that the traffic will be switched to the west side when the LRT overpass is completed over the west side, next to Davies station.

Churchill Interchange

Used with permission
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^Hub and heart (transit, culture, arts, events)
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I imagine that the track isn't too far away at this point. Also, I read (on Twitter) that the center girder at Whitemud is being replaced (at the P3's expense) because it doesn't meet standards.
    I was wondering when this would come up. They had the two sections completed, and looked like the equipment was getting ready to move them in place, and then they slowly started dismantling one of the sections. Almost nothing left of it now.

C2E SME

For anybody who’s around Mill Woods (66 Street, 31-38 Avenue), they’re installing the struts to hold up the railway track. Tracks aren’t too far away.

1st train soon to be on its way!

@yegvalleylrt
    www.decl.org

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

For anybody who’s around Mill Woods (66 Street, 31-38 Avenue), they’re installing the struts to hold up the railway track. Tracks aren’t too far away.
    You mean ties?
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    1st train soon to be on its way!

@yegvalleylrt
    Boing
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

C2E SME

^^ They're black in colour. I think the ties are concrete.

C2E SME

It appears that the entire route south of Wagner station will have concrete ties, probably no ballast.

Curious why all the trees along 102 avenue next to the mall and TD tower were chopped. They were spindly little guys. Don't think their canopies were impacting anything...

C2E SME

My guess is that they were deemed small enough that it would be easier to cut down and replace afterwards to facilitate construction rather than struggle and work around.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

The ION LRT in Kitchener-Waterloo is testing their Flexity's now, looking for a late 2018 opening. They are almost the same as ours, just with 5 modules instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCuupq09ZWY

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Curious why all the trees along 102 avenue next to the mall and TD tower were chopped. They were spindly little guys. Don't think their canopies were impacting anything...
    All new landscaping.
    www.decl.org

I really think that having this line on the surface will be incredible for public perception of Edmonton. While the current LRT tunnel is fantastic for moving people, it simply gets people from A to B without exposing them to any views of Edmonton. When this line is built, it will expose all riders to much more of the valley, chinatown, downtown, Oliver, 124th briefly, etc. They might actually be shown some of the urban fabric that is missed in the utilitarian LRT tunnel.

I know it seems silly, but there are an awful lot of people who don't stray from their day to day regular activities, and who don't really know anything about 90% of Edmonton. If transit becomes a viable and even somewhat desireable, reliable option it can only help us move away from the whole 'Boiler Room of Canada' perception that we've been stricken with for decades.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1803/43070144331_33beb0d3d5_b.jpg

By Me

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    I really think that having this line on the surface will be incredible for public perception of Edmonton. While the current LRT tunnel is fantastic for moving people, it simply gets people from A to B without exposing them to any views of Edmonton. When this line is built, it will expose all riders to much more of the valley, chinatown, downtown, Oliver, 124th briefly, etc. They might actually be shown some of the urban fabric that is missed in the utilitarian LRT tunnel.
    The Valley Line plus the other existing lines all pass through the city's greatest natural asset, the river valley. I can think of very few mass transit lines in other cities that offer this level of natural scenery. Other than the brief exposure at McKernan/Belgravia you really don't get to see the residential fabric of the city. The new Valley Line will do that quite nicely.

To you both, BINGO!

This will expose as much as connect people to places, things, views that they might not otherwise experience.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    The Valley Line plus the other existing lines all pass through the city's greatest natural asset, the river valley. I can think of very few mass transit lines in other cities that offer this level of natural scenery. Other than the brief exposure at McKernan/Belgravia you really don't get to see the residential fabric of the city. The new Valley Line will do that quite nicely.
    Absolutely. Having ridden the Capital Line for a long time it's so noticeable how many people look up from their phone/paper/book/conversation to gaze at the river valley when the train passes from Grandin to University. The rest of the trip is just a commute. That 45-60 seconds is a nice little reprieve.

When visiting other cities in the world I will sometimes just hop on a bus or tram to get a perspective and flavor of the neighborhoods where people live and get beyond the popular touristy destinations. It's a cheap way of going on a tour and the Valley Line LRT will be a great way of doing that and the city should market it to tourists. One of my favorite things to do in Toronto is to ride the Queen & King street car lines from end to end, they both go through some amazing neighborhoods.

I wish Edmonton Symphony would do this for Edmonton - Youtube Link

Imagine both inside and outside views of the crossing of our fantastic river valley. I think it would go viral.

Stole from reddit:

"the a commute" includes the surface parts, it's the same on the bus. Elevated is different, but for the valley line it's mostly in industrial areas unfortunately.
    There can only be one.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    When visiting other cities in the world I will sometimes just hop on a bus or tram to get a perspective and flavor of the neighborhoods where people live and get beyond the popular touristy destinations. It's a cheap way of going on a tour and the Valley Line LRT will be a great way of doing that and the city should market it to tourists. One of my favorite things to do in Toronto is to ride the Queen & King street car lines from end to end, they both go through some amazing neighborhoods.
    Likewise for me as well, except for the complete opposite. I send the wife and kid shopping and I hop in a cab and ask to go to the seediest part of town to go on a local "dive bar" tour.....drink my *** off, get into a few arguments with the locals, pour myself into a cab and back to the hotel. Scariest city I've done this in was Philly.....dive bars to the exponential degree.......

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Likewise for me as well, except for the complete opposite. I send the wife and kid shopping and I hop in a cab and ask to go to the seediest part of town to go on a local "dive bar" tour.....drink my *** off, get into a few arguments with the locals, pour myself into a cab and back to the hotel. Scariest city I've done this in was Philly.....dive bars to the exponential degree.......
    Ha! You are describing the immersive tourist experience where the visitor is an active participant rather than a passive observer. I heartily approve.

I have on occasion just jumped on buses at random without really knowing where I'm going. A bit risky though depending on the city...

I know it seems silly, but there are an awful lot of people who don't stray from their day to day regular activities, and who don't really know anything about 90% of Edmonton. If transit becomes a viable and even somewhat desireable, reliable option it can only help us move away from the whole 'Boiler Room of Canada' perception that we've been stricken with for decades.
    Definitely agree with this and whenever I am in a city with good and varied public transportation I prefer using this. This allows me to enjoy the view, different modes of travel, different perspectives, and the experience being preferred to driving.

But the view is amplified with overhead rail like Skytrain (which I love so much) and things like Seabus which provides variety. (why I also think we need the gondola here).
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

One of our U2's already has the fleet number 1001, so why does the flexity train on its way have the same fleet number? (I don't know how to post pictures, sorry.)

sigh.... montreal for the win:

https://rem.info/en/albums/rem-architectural-renders

separated from traffic, fast frequency. future generations of edmontonians will ask why the leaders of today didn't build something like this here, as the slow valley line trundles along. but, hey, at least it's 'urban'.

Unfortunately the Transportation Department, the mayor and various councilors think the Dublin model of slow trains running along a street is a great model. Not a system that will get you from Mill Woods to downtown quickly and efficiently.

Montreal uses Alberta equalization money while opposing our pipelines (Energy East) to build a superior mass transit system. Gold.

Exactly right. So nice of us. Also. ^^It takes longer, seems like a bigger city. Status symbol achieved regardless.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Slightly off topic but I'm not a fan of cutting down 18 old trees in Glenora for phase 2 of lrt. I know that's another thread. This isn't a NIMBY movement, residence just feel the trees shouldn't be sacrificed for phase 2 for lrt and even though I don't live in the area, i agree with them.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Construction update - river valley and Muttart LRT station

North of 98 Ave

South of 98 Ave

Grading back to surface

Someday, my lad, all this will be an LRT station!

Heading up the hill to Connors

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

@ianoyeg
    Does anyone know if the Muttart stop has any special architectural features that pay homage to the pyramids? Or is it simply a bus stop like feature?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Apparently every stop along Valley line will be themed to the area somehow, although I can't find a supporting link to that. Translation: more opportunity to commission public art

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post

separated from traffic, fast frequency. future generations of edmontonians will ask why the leaders of today didn't build something like this here, as the slow valley line trundles along. but, hey, at least it's 'urban'.
    Calgary, Ottawa, And Montreal's newest proposed lines are models of competent, and effective light rail systems.

Edmonton's is a model of a low-budget showpiece.

Isn't there lots of issues private/public and usage concerns and high costs with the Montreal line...?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E SME

Nice shots, SDM.

Default Toronto has a problem... will Edmonton ?

Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

I'll reserve judgement on the Montreal line being an automatic win until its seen what the actual price tag is and what they come up with once the Montreal based construction corruption is done with it.

That said our line should always have been elevated and if Vancouver, in a subduction zone opted for that format it should have been a no brainer here.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I'm not an engineer but that's why a CBTC signaling system works there and not here.

https://925freshradio.ca/news/390128...ng-big-reveal/

I have very serious fears about how painfully slow this train is going to be. No one's going to appreciate how "urban" the train is when they're putting around barely faster than a bus and judging by how poorly the TOD plans for the Capital line have worked out and the absurd overreaction to the Hollyrood Gardens proposal I don't think the line is going to lead to virtually any of the densification the city hopes an "urban" line can bring.

I think there's a very real chance that in ten years time we'll look back at this and realize how stupid we've been.

I share the concerns, and wish for a faster line, but as I've stated before the claims that busses run DT from MWTC in say under 40minutes are frankly fictitious. Its around 45mins on a good day. So this train is a little faster and its still not a given that it will be 38min run. Hoping for something like 30.

The pluses for Millwoods residents anyway is increased volume moving downtown, more frequency, a more direct line than the current milk lines that deviate all over and thankfully closure of Millgate terminal and also not having to go through Lakewood terminal. Just riding a more direct route is positive to me.

ETS imo is also not getting enough credit for the vastly different system they will be rolling out. So much more efficient than the present bus lines and system.

I'm happy about all this and it coincides nicely with my retirement from jobs and automobiles and looking forward to not having the expenses of a vehicle anymore.

I also feel its healthier not to have a vehicle.

I am ecstatic about the line, even if it isn't what was preferred.

As much as I love elevated this line will be nice in certain stops just to get off the train and walk quickly to wherever, Muttart, Quarters etc, on level ground,

Did half of the bridge over Whitemud disappear? I swear both sections were done, now I only see one.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

This line is going to be as slow as Nait.

Beats walking I guess.

At least walking does not cost $138,000,000.00 per kilometer...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Valley line has the same signaling issues?

^If I recall correctly a fair amount of the slowness of the Metro Line north of Churchill is by design. The city experimenting with being more "urban". :-/

Yes, route selection was delayed so long by the COE that GM gave up reserving a ROW for the LRT and then they meandered towards NAIT with a poor route with slow tight turns for a line they want to make into a core 'express' route to St. Albert. Bonus points for screwing up 112th Ave and the Capital line scheduling to boot! Well Done COE!

The Metro Line "urban" experiment is a complete failure. Walking is indeed faster and more reliable.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 06-07-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I share the concerns, and wish for a faster line, but as I've stated before the claims that busses run DT from MWTC in say under 40minutes are frankly fictitious. Its around 45mins on a good day. So this train is a little faster and its still not a given that it will be 38min run. Hoping for something like 30.

The pluses for Millwoods residents anyway is increased volume moving downtown, more frequency, a more direct line than the current milk lines that deviate all over and thankfully closure of Millgate terminal and also not having to go through Lakewood terminal. Just riding a more direct route is positive to me.

ETS imo is also not getting enough credit for the vastly different system they will be rolling out. So much more efficient than the present bus lines and system.

I'm happy about all this and it coincides nicely with my retirement from jobs and automobiles and looking forward to not having the expenses of a vehicle anymore.

As much as I love elevated this line will be nice in certain stops just to get off the train and walk quickly to wherever, Muttart, Quarters etc, on level ground,
    As per: https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/Ro...General%20.pdf the "maximum scheduled one way Travel Time (for timetable purposes), between 102 Street Stop and Mill Woods Town Centre Stop, in either direction [is] not to exceed 32 minutes".

Just googled mapped the same current ETS transit service

ETS #15 Mill Woods Town Centre 31 min (11 stops) 1 min late · Stop ID: 1542

"Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit."

Exactly, roughly over 30 minutes not at rush hour in 2018 with our current population and car traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Just googled mapped the same current ETS transit service

ETS #15 Mill Woods Town Centre 31 min (11 stops) 1 min late · Stop ID: 1542

"Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit."
    The google link you just cited gives me 46mins. Anytime I've taken any of the routes from MWTC-DT its around 40-45mins. Including the 15. The schedules as cited are optimistic. Any traffic load whatsoever and the 15 doesn't make those time tables in actuality.

The 15 is also a low frequency bus running every 30mins and has poor connections at MWTC. It in fact leaves as some of the connecting busses are arriving at station. (complained about this many times) The reality is if you're taking the bus DT from MWTC that its on the 8, and not the 15. The 8 being more of a milk run.

That said I take the bus DT in peak hours, The busses are very impacted by those traffic loads, and that's when the majority of people commute. Who cares if the 15 can get DT in 35mins with absolutely no traffic at 10;45 am with hardly anybody catching the bus at that time?
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-07-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Using that same map if you want to be Downtown for work at 9:00am on the #15 it can be between 35-45 minutes... maybe. That's if you can fit on the 1st bus you want to get on and you don't get stuck in a little rush hour traffic or weather dependant.

I take the #8 from Bonnie Doon area and it's 15ish minutes to Downtown, sometimes was 20ish minutes to get to MacEwan when I went to school. That's at rush hour. I never took the #15 from the mall because it was always full. The #8 was no better but at least I can fit on.

Yes we could jump in a Time Machine and buy more articulated buses, hire more drivers, design dedicated bus lanes or que jumps and bus-orientated traffic signals... but a variety of changes are coming to all ETS services.

Quote Originally Posted by stevester View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

As per: https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/Ro...General%20.pdf the "maximum scheduled one way Travel Time (for timetable purposes), between 102 Street Stop and Mill Woods Town Centre Stop, in either direction [is] not to exceed 32 minutes".
    I was just going off memory. So 32mins, and "not to exceed" This seemingly means it could be faster than that but must meet 32mins.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Valley is more Urban then Capital and even Metro. Metro runs on part of the Capital line. Maybe that's why there's a 20 minute wait after 7pm.

Valley is more Urban then Capital and even Metro. Metro runs on part of the Capital line. Maybe that's why there's a 20 minute wait after 7pm.
    Meaning the Valley Line will be slower because? The Metro Line is not the same system.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Valley line isn't even built yet. I have no idea what kind of signaling it will have, we'll have to wait and see. As for low floor being slower then regular LRT, I don't know that either.

Hope. Valley line will be running "line of sight" with tram style signals at intersections into indicate "stop" or "go" or to tell driver switching to the other track. Line of sight means no signals (moving block or static block) at all. The driver drives line speed, and can crawl right up to the back of another train ahead. The tunnel might have some signaling but it's short anyway. Line of sight works were speeds are limited - in this case top speed will likely be 60 km/h.
    ETS Trolley Buses - 1939 to 2010 - R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
    Hope. Valley line will be running "line of sight" with tram style signals at intersections into indicate "stop" or "go" or to tell driver switching to the other track. Line of sight means no signals (moving block or static block) at all. The driver drives line speed, and can crawl right up to the back of another train ahead. The tunnel might have some signaling but it's short anyway. Line of sight works were speeds are limited - in this case top speed will likely be 60 km/h.
    Interesting. First I heard of this. How does this work in snow storm/rainstorm/fog conditions? Do they just slow right down to a crawl if they have a 5 meter visibility?

Also, wanted to mention that I'm actually quite impressed now that I'm seeing the Valley line in construct phase. I didn't realize how this portion of the project actually has grade/vehicle separation on almost all key junctions. Whether that be the jump over 66st, still being in the air until the north side of Argyll, coming around Conners Road so that there is no impact to teh flow of traffic, cutting across Mutart but not impeding traffic, jumping back up on the South side of 98th ave so that traffic isn't impeded and then keeping the line above grade right through the bridge and into the jasper tunnel.

They didn't need to do much a bridge or tunnel south of Bonnie Doon perhaps north of it too and I'd be happy

I hear you that they could always do more grade separation...but to be honest, the majority of the at grade crossings are in residential neighborhoods where this is not just appropriate but the right choice. The big Delta's here being: 34th Ave, Roper Road, Whyte And the Bonnie Doon Traffic circle.

And even of those 4, I'd say Whyte is probably the only real concerning one.

Not saying it's perfect but much, much better than I originally envisioned. Also doesn't look like the DT surface line will be much of a bottleneck (considering ppl have easily navigated around the current 102nd outate).

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

ETS has been using line of sight signaling on Metro for quite awhile now:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...says-1.3193732

I was looking for the retired C-Train (2066) that was spotted at Bissel Yard, only for it to be gone and this in its place! Welcome home!

Seven short rail cars with six accordion style joints, this above ground LRT will be able to make tighter turns than the existing LRT.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Administrator *

Girders installed at Davies Station:

Valley Line LRT - Davies Station by Chris Vazquez, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post

I was looking for the retired C-Train (2066) that was spotted at Bissel Yard, only for it to be gone and this in its place! Welcome home!
    T.O. waiting years for cars and ours starting delivery years ahead of time. Gotta like that. 😀

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Seven short rail cars with six accordion style joints, this above ground LRT will be able to make tighter turns than the existing LRT.
    Existing cars have a circular floor plate at the "joint" area especially by the longer side seats for priority seating since the beginning.

I forget what the seating capacity is for a train/car the size of the image above, under a 100?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Existing cars have a circular floor plate at the "joint" area especially by the longer side seats for priority seating since the beginning.

I forget what the seating capacity is for a train/car the size of the image above, under a 100?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexity_Freedom

Capacity 135–251 depending on configuration

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Thanks.

Will something like that even fit at the Jasper place LRT station?

^ Thanks.

Will something like that even fit at the Jasper place LRT station?
    Pretty sure they are making a separate station for the trains

No, Edmonton's 7-segment trains should carry about 275 each, so two linked in tandem would carry about 550. The stations are all being designed for that length (about 84m).

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ Thanks

^ Is that 275 number at peak or off peak?

One segment from cab to door looks like its going to hold 12 passengers max so that could be abt 40 for a 7 segment car. Each segment holds 12 people. Seats are raised off the floor on their own pedestal. Peak hour of course there will be more. passengers. There's no way just from the photos on this thread I've seen of the cars interior, that a 7 segment car like that is going to hold 275 people. I could be wrong but that number seems pretty off to me.

So basically are you saying that the train pictured above is 84m?

No, the train above is about 42m long. Two of the trains run together would be about 84m long.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Makes more sense, thanks

C2E SME

One train of 550 people translates into about 10 full transit buses. If a train can save 10 minutes to Mill Woods, that's great.

The slow street cars take as long as a bus and slower than a real LRT. problem is that the slow streetcars have fewer seats so people have to stand for 30 minutes or longer especially if they are going from Millwoods to WEM. Not a comfortable transit experience.

Even on that strange gondola plan across the river, every passenger gets a seat and not packed in like sardines.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    The slow street cars take as long as a bus and slower than a real LRT. problem is that the slow streetcars have fewer seats so people have to stand for 30 minutes or longer especially if they are going from Millwoods to WEM. Not a comfortable transit experience.

Even on that strange gondola plan across the river, every passenger gets a seat and not packed in like sardines.
    Ever ride the Capital line during peak hours?

To be fair a 30 minute travel time from Mill Woods to Churchill station wont be too bad. For example, a full ride from Corona station at peak to Clareview empties out at Belvedere station due to the park and ride there.

There's no way a 7 car segment as pictured above is going to hold 275 passengers, not even at peak. Two 7 car segments, maybe at peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post

I'd like to see where they unload and put it on it's trucks(wheel sets)

C2E SME

My guess is that the CN train could make it as far as 75 Street (near the Davies Station).

My guess is that the CN train could make it as far as 75 Street (near the Davies Station).
    There is a spur that still runs toward DT and stub ends at the Coliseum...

The new train is to be installed at Bonnie Doone so the public can crawl all over it. Very excited.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Page 68 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18586465666768697071 LastLast