Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 29697576777879
Results 7,801 to 7,879 of 7879

Thread: Valley Line LRT | Downtown to Millwoods | Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Thanks, the one reasonable response here. The route from Millcreek Ravine to Low Level bridge is very poor.
    and yet, its no different than getting to the dear old footbridge, except, turn left and follow 98avenue to the low level.
    As stated the route to the old footbridge involved no dismounts, no road crossings, no navigation and was a continual stretch on the same trail. All you had to do to find the old footbridge is essentially follow the one trail.

I literally had to go on google maps a couple times just to figure out how to get from Millcreek ravine to the Low Level bridge.

In anycase the new bridge was supposed to be Finished in 3-4years, Its over 3years already, and the bridge spans aren't even in place. This project, and particularly the bridge is going at a snails pace. I doubt the bridge is open to pedestrian traffic anytime next year.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

If you can find your way to the old footbridge, and can't find your way to the lowlevel bridge from there, you have other issues. You don't need to take a different route. You follow the same route. Go over the footbridge above connors road, slide past the muttart, and over the footbridge across 98 avenue. You are now where the LRT bridge is (where the footbridge was before). Turn left. You are now at the low level bridge. No dismounts, no level road crossings, in fact, its the same friggen route, except you turn left to go to the low level bridge. It really amazes me as a guy who claims to know the river valley well, that you had to google map how to get from the LRT bridge to the low level bridge.

Either you are not reading what I'm writing, or purposely being daft because your point as been whittled to nothing and you are grasping for straws.

The pedestrian bridge will likely open when the rest of the bridge is ready and it's not a massive construction zone. for your safety.

yee god.
    Last edited by Medwards; 17-09-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

If you can find your way to the old footbridge, and can't find your way to the lowlevel bridge from there, you have other issues. You don't need to take a different route. You follow the same route. Go over the footbridge above connors road, slide past the muttart, and over the footbridge across 98 avenue. You are now where the LRT bridge is (where the footbridge was before). Turn left. You are now at the low level bridge. No dismounts, no level road crossings, in fact, its the same friggen route, except you turn left to go to the low level bridge. It really amazes me as a guy who claims to know the river valley well, that you had to google map how to get from the LRT bridge to the low level bridge.

Either you are not reading what I'm writing, or purposely being daft because your point as been whittled to nothing and you are grasping for straws.

The pedestrian bridge will likely open when the rest of the bridge is ready and it's not a massive construction zone. for your safety.

yee god.
    Why would I or anybody on Earth currently take the exact same route to the old foot bridge, which isn't there, and is one "massive construction zone" just so they can double back 1km to take the low level bridge?

Are you stating that cyclists should be expected to detour this amount just to take the low level bridge?

Obviously that's an inane route to take. I was describing the exact route, the most direct route possible (which is a mess) from Millcreek Ravine to Low level bridge. Not one that traverses hills, valleys and a huge backtrack..

But keep arguing.
    Last edited by Replacement; 17-09-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

What's so dreadful about the route I posted in 7797? Seems pretty straightforward to me. Goes from MCR to LMRP, over the LLB, EZPZ.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    Video update recorded a couple of days ago:

Good job, lad - I just wish you had started from Connors Hill Road due to all the detours.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    What's so dreadful about the route I posted in 7797? Seems pretty straightforward to me. Goes from MCR to LMRP, over the LLB, EZPZ.
    The route involves several busy road crossings. With these being arterials and drivers that don't even want to stop for pedestrians at these crossings. With stubborn drivers that refuse to stop for a cyclist crossing unless they dismount and get on their knees and say please..

Try it sometime. Nobody likes that route, just that its the one Google maps recommends and its the "easiest" route currently possible, which isn't saying much.

How do you get from MCR to the Low Level or the LRT bridge without crossing arterials?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Great video .

Holy sh-t! TransEd has a lot of work ahead of them.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

yee god.
    Why would I or anybody on Earth currently take the exact same route to the old foot bridge, which isn't there, and is one "massive construction zone" just so they can double back 1km to take the low level bridge?

Are you stating that cyclists should be expected to detour this amount just to take the low level bridge?

Obviously that's an inane route to take. I was describing the exact route, the most direct route possible (which is a mess) from Millcreek Ravine to Low level bridge. Not one that traverses hills, valleys and a huge backtrack..

But keep arguing.

Why would anyone? Because you wanted a route that avoided level crossings and complained about the direct route so I offered a reasonable alternative that met your conditions, and hey, its the route you used to take to the footbridge....

I think you really just want to read your illlogical complaints.

The route to the old footbridge was the same one that you claimed was good before, but now it "traverses hills, valleys and a huge backtrack" as if the 500 meters was such a big back track on a bike.... but that route was fine when the old footbridge was there, and will be fine again when the new footbridge under the LRT bridge is back...
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

C2E SME

I wonder how much of the downtown section can be completed before winter hits. It would be so nice to have the dowm with a little bit less construction, especially at the churchill navel dry dock.

How do you get from MCR to the Low Level or the LRT bridge without crossing arterials?
    From MCR you go up the hill, to the overpass crossing Connors road, then you go down the valley and end up just west of the Muttart greeneries buildings, you go around those, turn right, and then this brings you to another overpass to get to where the old bridge or new bridge will be. zero actual road crossings due to the two overpasses.

yee god.

But keep arguing.

Why would anyone? Because you wanted a route that avoided level crossings and complained about the direct route so I offered a reasonable alternative that met your conditions, and hey, its the route you used to take to the footbridge....

The route to the old footbridge was the same one that you claimed was good before, but now it "traverses hills, valleys and a huge backtrack" as if the 500 meters was such a big back track on a bike.... but that route was fine when the old footbridge was there, and will be fine again when the new footbridge under the LRT bridge is back...
    Hey its all good. But its not all the same. As stated the zip back to Low level, from where the Cloverdale bridge was, is around 1km. Its also not a route I like. Its often dark, heavily treed and with blind bends and undulations. Some people love those in the river valley, some like trails that offer more visibility. Still, its a detour. But its certainly doable and you are correct it involves no actual road crossings. I've avoided the area during construction. From google Earth the construction area is taking up what used to be the junction for trails to several directions. I suspect theres a different access now given that the junction is fenced off. Have to check it out sometime. Have you been lately?

In anycase I apologize and you are correct that the route is viable if one doesn't mind the added length.

Can't wait for the new footbridge to be there.
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-09-2019 at 10:46 AM.

From MCR you go up the hill, to the overpass crossing Connors road, then you go down the valley and end up just west of the Muttart greeneries buildings, you go around those, turn right, and then this brings you to another overpass to get to where the old bridge or new bridge will be. zero actual road crossings due to the two overpasses.
    and to get to the low level, its the same route, plus turn left to go the low level bridge which is about 500 m away.... but apparently this is toooooo hard for you? When I said you should use this route you complained about the hills, the valley, etc...

My god.

yee god.

But keep arguing.

Hey its all good. But its not all the same. As stated the zip back to Low level, from where the Cloverdale bridge was, is around 1km. Its also not a route I like. Its often dark, heavily treed and with blind bends and undulations. Some people love those in the river valley, some like trails that offer more visibility. Still, its a detour. But its certainly doable and you are correct it involves no actual road crossings. I've avoided the area during construction. From google Earth the construction area is taking up what used to be the junction for trails to several directions. I suspect theres a different access now given that the junction is fenced off. Have to check it out sometime. Have you been lately?

In anycase I apologize and you are correct that the route is viable if one doesn't mind the added length.

Cross both footbridges like you normally would and then You just follow 98th avenue to low level... Please stop making this out to be more horrible than it is. Yes, its a bit of a PITA, but its for the long term benefit of the city as a whole, and eventually that old footbridge needed to be replaced anyways as it was nearing the end of its life span. Yes the junctions are closed, but the footbridges over 98 are still open ,and you can follow 98 to low level. About 500 meter away, or 2 minutes on a bike, if that.

https://goo.gl/maps/KjWGSG3eJLNBXx7c8
    Last edited by Medwards; 18-09-2019 at 11:02 AM.

yee god.

But keep arguing.

Cross both footbridges like you normally would and then You just follow 98th avenue to low level... Please stop making this out to be more horrible than it is. Yes, its a bit of a PITA, but its for the long term benefit of the city as a whole, and eventually that old footbridge needed to be replaced anyways as it was nearing the end of its life span. Yes the junctions are closed, but the footbridges over 98 are still open ,and you can follow 98 to low level. About 500 meter away, or 2 minutes on a bike, if that.

https://goo.gl/maps/KjWGSG3eJLNBXx7c8
    I already apologized and said you were right. Again, sorry, thanks for the suggestions.

sincerely

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Nice shots. I like the 2nd from the bottom showing Encore right in the middle.

Nice shots, Paul.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Taken September 19, 2019

Valley line construction
    by Paul Smolik, on Flickr

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction

Valley line construction
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

95 Avenue is really starting to take shape.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Connors Road is NOT starting to take shape. WTF is taking so long?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Hard to say. There is that section in between the two retaining walls that they have been digging down and as you can see in my first picture of that little section it doesn't appear they will be ready for the switch over in traffic. Once the switch of lanes they can of course start clearing and pouring the track base.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

If they're moving traffic at the top of Connors Road next week, they can work on the top part of the LRT. Otherwise, I think it's going to be another month.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Hard to say. There is that section in between the two retaining walls that they have been digging down and as you can see in my first picture of that little section it doesn't appear they will be ready for the switch over in traffic. Once the switch of lanes they can of course start clearing and pouring the track base.
    It looks as if the wild life corridor under the road is taking an inordinate amount of time to construct.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E SME

The construction has been slow, and I wonder if the LRT will be held back with the construction of the other half of the wildlife tunnel.

East of 97st on 102 ave. the excavation was quite deep. so I walked over one day to take a look. a massive storm water holding tank is being constructed. I will grab my better camera and head over there to get shots.The other area of interest is the line beside Winspear. the vibration isolation being installed is quite visual interesting. They are basically building a tub, then installing isolation dampeners inside then poring concrete inside that space.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Flood abatement would be very prudent to protect the tunnel given the way rain seems to be more intense nowadays.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    East of 97st on 102 ave. the excavation was quite deep. so I walked over one day to take a look. a massive storm water holding tank is being constructed. I will grab my better camera and head over there to get shots.The other area of interest is the line beside Winspear. the vibration isolation being installed is quite visual interesting. They are basically building a tub, then installing isolation dampeners inside then poring concrete inside that space.
    Actually if you go back to my shots a couple posts back I have some pics of the work east of 97st.

Beginning of the tunnel under 95 St

Shots of the river valley bridge

C2E SME

The bridge girder was placed over Wagner Road last night.

C2E SME

Beginning of the tunnel under 95 St

Shots of the river valley bridge

Do you mean the opening of the tunnel? I thought the tunnel was already dug through?

why this part of the tunnel has yet to be even formed is beyond me it shouldnt take that long as this was the starting point and the tunnels themselfs have been done for over 1 - 2 years already why are they drawing this out for so bloody long???

no need to rage post. The tunnel has been dug through on both ends and the dig was completed a long time ago, there's just a lot more more to do than just dig a tunnel though, before it's ready for LRT.

More from the river valley bridge construction

C2E SME

Flyover construction at 98 Avenue and Argyll Road: http://transedlrt.ca/advisories/

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Flyover construction at 98 Avenue and Argyll Road: http://transedlrt.ca/advisories/
    83 St. and Argyll?

http://transedlrt.ca/advisories/argyll-road-closure/

C2E Continued Contributor

98th Street in November is what the cat was referring to:

http://transedlrt.ca/advisories/98-avenue-road-closure/
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

C2E SME

Both.

Both.
    Ah, makes sense now. Thanks...

C2E SME

Awww, I thought it was going to be a very long flyover. lol

Transforming Edmonton had a recent update but it's been gone since yesterday.
    http://transformingedmonton.ca/takin...east-update-3/

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its another thread obviously but if Scheer gets elected he wants to put a freeze on all non existing infrustucture. Wonder what this will mean for the future of WLRT?

He said he would honour current commitments. So nothing.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

All the funding for the WLRT isn't in place yet.

All that needs to happen is for Kenney to cancel the provinces share and the federal money would go <poof>.

C2E SME

I think the city should fight like hell if funding for the LRT is cancelled.

C2E Continued Contributor

Thanks SDM. Was wondering how the bridge across the NSR was going to be built. 5 M deck sections added at a time. 6 months, so March or April 2020. It does seem to be coming together quickly. Still unsure if they will meet the Dec 2020 deadline.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

I think the city should fight like hell if funding for the LRT is cancelled.
    I happen to think that it (WLRT) is a poorly planned, poorly routed, colossal waste of tax payers money, and needs a significant review.
    The idea is (or should be) to get people going downtown from the western "burb's" (on a daily basis) out of their cars by providing a better alternative...Without screwing up the rest of us that are going elsewhere in the same area.
    This glorified streetcar is not going to do anything to meet these ideals and I am vehemently opposed to it in it's current form.
    The target market wants a quick, efficient transfer from the Lewis Estates/WEM/Meadowlark transit centers to the core, and if built as such?
    It will take lots of cars off the road.
    A meandering streetcar full of the miscreants that seem to inhabit the Jasper Place area is going to drive these well intentioned "burbians" back into their cars as soon as their month long pass expires.
    It will also completely screw up north-south traffic on 142, 149, and 156 St... for all of us that just need to transit through the area on a regular basis.
    If this gets sidelined (and re-designed) I am not shedding any tears.
    This line should be built as a high floor/high speed/limited access conduit to the CBA.

At least at this point.

What we are trying to do here is inject a coercive influence onto people that drive when they would do otherwise...given a better solution.
    I am a construction guy, I need to drive.
    You can always build out the "hip(ster)py train" using the ample medians that exist on 107 and 111 Ave's at some point in the future.

The obvious (87 Ave) alignment needs to happen... that or go down the 100 Ave easement and through the forbidden (McKinnon) ravine...then dig up Jasper to tie into the high floor system.

C2E SME

We’ve planned this for 10 years.

"We've"???

No, the famously intransigent Transportation Planning Department has be forcing their ideas onto Edmontonians.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

How come this discussion is taking place in this thread instead of the WLRT one?

Quote Originally Posted by OJR View Post
    How come this discussion is taking place in this thread instead of the WLRT one?
    All threads on c2e eventually meet at the Downtown for everyone thread

Because its not c2e if you dont derail a topic at least once a year

It's really all the same line anyways...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I began this topic of WLRT funding here because of Andrew Scheer's campaign promisse to freeze future infrustructure funding. Cat is correct Valley line has begun from concept to build stage for 10 years. Its the largest infrastructure project in my city, where I live. Like it, mix it, hate it, this is not going away. Live iwth it. Adapt. Move on. Valley Line (imo) is good for my city. However I'm on record of Valley line's route to be from the UofA 87th Ave/Hawrelak Park/87th West to Lewis farms. it would have been cheaper and made more sense but this is good as well. WLRT has 2/3rds of the funding in place. The balance to finish the project remains uncertain. Politics.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It's really all the same line anyways...
    Where's my like button?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    When it's done it will all be one line but the valley line is being built as two seperate projects, otherwise the would have started construction on the western leg already.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    "We've"???

No, the famously intransigent Transportation Planning Department has be forcing their ideas onto Edmontonians.
    Exactly.

Traffic flows be [email protected]#d, we need to save the world!!!
    A myopic viewpoint to curry to at this particular point in our time line.
    You can't just turn 60+ years of learned behavior and improper development practices off by "flicking a switch".
    That is what the current administration seems to be looking for.
    People always point to the European situation as an exemplar of the "ideal" and for Europe (who never experienced the '50's-'60's explosion of "car culture" seen in N/A) it works just fine. If you've never been there, you'll never understand the population density that supports the various rail systems in use. You'll most likely never understand the difference in the approaches taken in regards to TOD. This is something that they've been doing since the 1800's...we are only just dipping our toes in the shallow end of a very deep swimming pool at this late date.

It appears (to me anyways) that we are being pulled from the "kiddie pool", getting dragged 100 feet, and being unceremoniously thrown into the deep end, with no water wings provided.

Worse yet, the life guard (I.E. the policy maker) seems to be too busy with his new romance to realize that some people are going to drown on his watch and that others are going to have a quick dip, then get out of the unsanitary waters ASAP.

Rome was not built in a day.

A primarily RAPID system is the proper approach to effecting inculcated habits.
    The rest can come as attitudes change.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Iron; 15-10-2019 at 03:32 PM. Reason: clarity

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    When it's done it will all be one line but the valley line is being built as two seperate projects, otherwise the would have started construction on the western leg already.
    Wearing your devil's advocate hat again I see.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    "We've"???

Exactly.

Traffic flows be [email protected]#d, we need to save the world!!!
    A myopic viewpoint to curry to at this particular point in our time line.
    You can't just turn 60+ years of learned behavior and improper development practices off by "flicking a switch".
    That is what the current administration seems to be looking for.
    People always point to the European situation as an exemplar of the "ideal" and for Europe (who never experienced the '50's-'60's explosion of "car culture" seen in N/A) it works just fine. If you've never been there, you'll never understand the population density that supports the various rail systems in use. You'll most likely never understand the difference in the approaches taken in regards to TOD. This is something that they've been doing since the 1800's...we are only just dipping our toes in the shallow end of a very deep swimming pool at this late date.

It appears (to me anyways) that we are being pulled from the "kiddie pool", getting dragged 100 feet, and being unceremoniously thrown into the deep end, with no water wings provided.

Worse yet, the life guard (I.E. the policy maker) seems to be too busy with his new romance to realize that some people are going to drown on his watch and that others are going to have a quick dip, then get out of the unsanitary waters ASAP.

Rome was not built in a day.

A primarily RAPID system is the proper approach to effecting inculcated habits.
    The rest can come as attitudes change.

My 2 cents.

Yesterday's pics from the ECC pedway

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I am not well versed in the mechanics of transit construction but it seems like this road has been closed for a long period of time with not much movement. Would it not be wise to prioritize closing a street downtown for the shortest time necessary?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Hasn't it been like 2 years since this road was ripped up? Obviously I don't fully understand the construction process here, but has there been a lack of labor dedicated to this stretch as this seems ridiculous to me?

Relocate utilities, pour concrete, lay track, pave road? What am I missing here in my ignorance?

Your observations are correct. There is no reasonable explanation why a street would be ripped up for more than 6 months. All too often, it appears that companies close the roads in several places with a flurry of work and then almost abandon them and eventually get around to actually starting work.

It is the juvenile equivalent of grabbing all the toys in the room and only playing with one.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E SME

Why can’t the contractor put up protective tarps during track and station construction downtown? It seems to work in Bonnie Doon or Mill Woods.

C2E SME

Also, I hope the 95 Avenue construction is nearing completion.

Most of the underground work is now complete in this 2 block section however there are still some power conduits being installed. The bulk of work is now in the section between 97st and 101 st. Track bed is being installed between 101 and 99st. along with the side walks. The section between 98st and 97st is about 60% complete. They are working on the vibration isolation by Winspear. the section by ECC pedway is last on the list but I noticed that one section is the laydown and fabrication area. Most of the manpower is in the section between 101st and 97st. The section east of 97st is the storm water retention tanks and that should be finished later this year. so will probably see the track laid next summer.

Yesterday's pics from the ECC pedway

Just want to say, to you and all others, that I really enjoy your picture updates. Keep 'em coming!

EDMONTON, AB – October 17, 2019 – Starting on or about the end of October 2019, Light Rail Vehicle (LRV) train testing will begin on the train tracks at 66 Street, between 38 Avenue and 34 Avenue. To get to the testing area, the LRV will move from the Gerry Wright Operations and Maintenance Facility on 75 Street and 51 Avenue, and will return after each testing session. Some testing may occur overnight.

Testing is done to verify the movement of the LRV, functionality of the system with the LRV and to do a post-delivery check of the LRV. This is the start of LRV testing and will continue until the Valley Line opens.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

4 blocks whoa. But I guess each segment of track will be tested many times at ever increasing speeds.

They will eventually test the whole dang thing before it opens (including the signalling system) so don't worry.

C2E SME

At least the cars can get tested.

Finally - an update by Transforming Edmonton

http://transformingedmonton.ca/takin...east-update-3/

Taken this PM

C2E SME

Looks like a switch track going in!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Can't wait to ride this thing.

C2E SME

The flyover girders have gone up above the CPR between Davies Station and Argyll.

Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 29697576777879