Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Capital Boulevard - 108st | under construction

C2E SME

Well there may be an Impark there now but keep our fingers crossed and the direction that the downtown core is moving in we might actually see something fill that space sooner than later.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

So I driving downtown yesterday and am very glad to see that construction has been happening along the entire 108st all the way to 104 ave. As well I noticed that they have poured the curbs for the first central feature on the block closest to the Legislature.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    So I driving downtown yesterday and am very glad to see that construction has been happening along the entire 108st all the way to 104 ave. As well I noticed that they have poured the curbs for the first central feature on the block closest to the Legislature.
    Although nice to see work, it would also be nice to see progress that doesn't advance at a glacial pace. The block closest to the leg was pretty much done last year. It has taken them all summer so far to pour that 'central feature'.

This and the federal building have to be the slowest project going.

Throw the undercutting second rate contractor that is doing the jasper ave/central station overhaul and you get a great picture of government managed construction projects. Its taken them 3 months just to get the pavement off the top!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Although nice to see work, it would also be nice to see progress that doesn't advance at a glacial pace. The block closest to the leg was pretty much done last year. It has taken them all summer so far to pour that 'central feature'.

This and the federal building have to be the slowest project going.

Throw the undercutting second rate contractor that is doing the jasper ave/central station overhaul and you get a great picture of government managed construction projects. Its taken them 3 months just to get the pavement off the top!

...so you haven't been inside Central then, huh?

Not to mention they've also taken out the center medians and the big ugly green shelters/utilities boxes, had to string up additional lights, work around the constant stream of pedestrians, etc.

...so you haven't been inside Central then, huh?

Not to mention they've also taken out the center medians and the big ugly green shelters/utilities boxes, had to string up additional lights, work around the constant stream of pedestrians, etc.[/QUOTE]

I was speaking to the above grade work. Seems rather slow for some demolition work.

^because there is more to it than just ripping off a layer of asphalt.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I go through that tunnel every day on my way to work. I have no wish for them to sacrifice safety in the interests of providing more of a view for their above grade work. Right now, it looks like going through a mechano set and I can only wonder what's above my head.

Also, I have a view from my office of the above ground stuff and they seem to be making decent progress on it. And I speak as someone who is impatient to be able to traverse that area on foot without playing in traffic.

Eve

Point taken.

C2E SME

Actually they have picked up the pace on 108st considerably from last year. I agree it was glacial at best but now it looks like they are actually trying to get all of it done at a reasonable rate.

C2E Long Term Contributor

It appears as though it should be completed by the end of the 2012 season... which is what they intended.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

C2E SME

I don't know what to say about the federal building but I think I feel safe to say that if they had worked a bit, or actually a whole lot harder last year on the roadway they wouldn't have been behind schedule this year.

C2E SME

I saw the new traffic light at Capital Boulevard and 100 Avenue. Quite impressive.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

Not a great pic, but you can see the new light installations along Capital Blvd., looking good.

C2E SME

Here are a few pictures I took the other day of the progress on Capital Blvd.

C2E SME

Oh by the way too. Can someone change the thread name to something more like Capital Boulevard/108st. | Under Construction

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Looks awesome so far, never thought I would say this, but those are some sexy light standards lol.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Agreed. Looks fantastic. I look forward to seeing more nice streetscapes develop downtown as projects move forward like the arena and Jasper Ave.

Looks like the 108 Street / 100 Ave intersection is now finished, with re-paving on 100 Ave completed and the swanky new traffic lights up and running, too. Can't wait for 100 Ave to be open again!

I just wish they threw some extra labour at this for it was to have been completed this fall all of the way to 104ave, but given that they might have another month or so left this season, it is a shame that we will have yet another project so far behind.*

*yes I recognize rain pushed this back to some degree.
    www.decl.org

It's too bad all the frontage along 108st is so recessed and dark. What an uninviting strip. I sure hope operators in those buildings start making use of the improvements they've been given.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

That is the hope/intent.
    www.decl.org

^^ The patio at Good Earth is a great example of what can be done. Nicely landscaped - very inviting.
    ... gobsmacked

^Public House's new patio will add to the st. as will the planned Norquest Expansion.
    www.decl.org

Be better if Public House lowered the fence though. Fence mind you, not bar.
    ... gobsmacked

Dialogs expansion should also help some, and also remove some parking.

This thread needs to be merged with http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=24974
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^That thread is in regards to the digital sign and the development of those lots. This is a different project.

C2E SME

This thread is about the entire 108st all the way from the Legislature to MacEwan.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    It's too bad all the frontage along 108st is so recessed and dark. What an uninviting strip. I sure hope operators in those buildings start making use of the improvements they've been given.
    They may in fact have plans to rennovate; how do you propose every business achieve this while construction of this street is currently active? Do you have a magic wand we don't know about?

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    They may in fact have plans to rennovate; how do you propose every business achieve this while construction of this street is currently active? Do you have a magic wand we don't know about?
    I do. It's quite impressive. /sarcasm

Are some of them going to renovate? If you are aware of any plans in place, let us know. It's fair to assume that over time it can and will happen, however until that happens I'm lamenting that we'll have a great street with no interaction from area tenants. Mostly pointing out how up until recently there's either been very little foresight into this kind of thing or planning restrictions forbade tenants from doing so.

highlander

The street is starting to look very good. It's too bad that they didn't make more drastic improvements to the intersections, though. Bulbs at intersection wouldn't take away any driving lanes or legal perking spots. And I wonder at the narrower sidewalks/wider carriageway at the mid block crosswalk/feature locations. Sure the feature takes some space, but at least on the completed block there is no parking in that section so there's really just one extra-wide lane in those locations.

C2E SME

I think the blocks south of Jasper will be largely complete, and I hope that the block between Jasper and 102 will be done before winter. Still, a change for the better.

Looking forward to Canada Day 2013, with Capital Boulevard largely complete and the Federal Public Building renovated.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think the blocks south of Jasper will be largely complete, and I hope that the block between Jasper and 102 will be done before winter. Still, a change for the better.

Looking forward to Canada Day 2013, with Capital Boulevard largely complete and the Federal Public Building renovated.
    I would hope that the province and the city use the new areas to it's utmost by even having programing and events take place in the new spaces.

I also wonder what kind of spaces for bicycle parking is going to be provided along 108st.

No bike or vehicle parting is to be provided
    This is a walking area
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

highlander

Right.
    Besides the parallel parking that lines both sides of 108st, you mean?

And the 60% of the whole right-of-way dedicated to cars?

No bicycle parking? Please tell me this isn't the case.

highlander

I don't think that there is any in the design, but that might be for the better. If it were designed in it would have been a rack taking up the still limited pedestrian space.
    As an afterthought it will likely be on-street, taking whole former parking spots.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    As an afterthought it will likely be on-street, taking whole former parking spots.
    Which would be perfectly fine with me. Hmmmm which were the councillors that were pushing for the bike rack spots on Whyte ave.

C2E SME

I'm sure that there could be provision for bike spaces at many locations. They wouldn't take up too much space.

One thing I saw in Ottawa (Byward Market) was a bike rental station. I'm sure these could catch on here in the future.

My guess is there will be bike parking, but as with most projects, street furniture is installed last.
    www.decl.org

do any of the buildings along the stretch have plans to retrofit their bases for retail/shops?

There are a bunch of paving stones set up on Jasper Ave at 108 Street, which I can only assume are for 108 Street. Hopefully at least the paving of the whole stretch from 99 to 104 Ave gets completed this year, even if the centrepieces don't. None of the fancy new streetlights have been installed yet, either.

C2E SME

How about north of Jasper ave? How much further have things progressed?

C2E SME

I think the block north of Jasper has the concrete poured, and the 102-103 Ave/Norquest block has sidewalks poured, when I walked by there last Thursday.

First One is Always Free

Angry

It very likely is the case. I work a block over, on 107 street, and when my building re-did its exterior it also eliminated the bicycle parking that used to be outside of the building. Which is a pain in the posterior, let me tell you! I petitioned the city to put up those circle/slash lockups but they said no. I petitioned the building to put the rack back, or just relocate it somewhere convenient, no dice there either. They put the bike rack in the parking garage under the building but won't give anyone access to the parking garage unless they qualify for a car parking spot. After trying to explain, numerous times, that the reason I want to park my bicycle is so that I don't HAVE to drive, and utterly failing, I gave up. Now I lock it to the lovely decorative benches outside with which they replaced the racks.

^ Dumb moves by both the city and your employer. Unfortunately, the lack of action from the city doesn't surprise me. It took years to get any bike parking at all at Churchill square, and it is still inadequate for major events. Hopefully the fancy new islands in the middle of 108 St won't come at the expense of space for bicycles (both for riding and parking).
    Last edited by Titanium48; 09-10-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bibliophreak View Post
    It very likely is the case. I work a block over, on 107 street, and when my building re-did its exterior it also eliminated the bicycle parking that used to be outside of the building. Which is a pain in the posterior, let me tell you! I petitioned the city to put up those circle/slash lockups but they said no. I petitioned the building to put the rack back, or just relocate it somewhere convenient, no dice there either. They put the bike rack in the parking garage under the building but won't give anyone access to the parking garage unless they qualify for a car parking spot. After trying to explain, numerous times, that the reason I want to park my bicycle is so that I don't HAVE to drive, and utterly failing, I gave up. Now I lock it to the lovely decorative benches outside with which they replaced the racks.
    Contact DECL to help you navigate the city...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Ridiculous. The hypocrisy is astounding. All this studying and preaching about moving away from cars on one hand, then they completely crap the bed with the other. Either build bike infrastructure or don't and move on to something else.

C2E SME

I walked along 108 Street and found:

(1) 100 Ave-Jasper has all the bricks down on the street, except around the island in the middle.

(2) Crews were laying bricks from Jasper-102 Ave.

(3) The pavement from 102-103 Ave was being jackhammered and taken away.

(4) All sidewalks were poured, except for 103-104 Avenue. I anticipate that this segment will be done next spring.

C2E SME

Taken on Sunday Oct 14, 2012

^great photos. I'm am very excited for this street.
    www.decl.org

pavers in, sanded and tamped all the way to 102
    amazing to watch how they do this

^This seems fast, but I guess pavers are the last things to go in.
    www.decl.org

from the concrete base up all steps mechanized
    Spread sand,level with fall,tamp, pick up and place a 4 x 4 foot cluster of pavers. sand and brush in crack fill sand and done
    all machines

Addicted to C2E

Love seeing this street evolve over the last year on my way to and from work!

Are they perhaps trucking to get it done before the frost sets in?

hope that they are at l;east opening up the 102 and south legs of 108
    This has really impacted some of the business' as well as traffic

Hope they are giving some thought to having those traffic control fixtures changed to something other than black boxes mounted on new brushed silver poles.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    Hope they are giving some thought to having those traffic control fixtures changed to something other than black boxes mounted on new brushed silver poles.
    I agree...I was along 108 heading for lunch yesterday and had a good look at the changes. There are some disconnects like the one you point out.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverWalker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    I agree...I was along 108 heading for lunch yesterday and had a good look at the changes. There are some disconnects like the one you point out.

I just fired off an inquiry to Traffic Operations asking if these are temporary. They are usually pretty good getting back. When I receive an answer I will post.

Chrome and black look good together...

I am more worried about the old wooden Light posts.... I hope they are replaced with trees!?!?!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Chrome and black look good together...

I am more worried about the old wooden Light posts.... I hope they are replaced with trees!?!?!
    Drool....At least those are attractive. Someone has got to have something available that are more into the late 20th century than those black fixtures that they are using.

^ what black fixtures are you guys talking about? Is there a picture somewhere?

I really hope that this, and the LRT, bring some life into this area. Interesting to see Capital place in the photos. I used to live there, it always amazed me that there was all this development west of 109 (Railtown, Oliver, and similar), but that these "warehouse" lands are pretty much a wasteland. If anything I would have thought east of 108 should have been more desirable (as closer to the core for urban living).

C2E SME

Well I think 109st. was always sort of the divider, west of 109 was residential and east of 109 was commercial industrial. Now that the downtown is changing that divider, even though still there is less noticable, especially once this pedestrian orriented street gets fully developed.

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    ^ what black fixtures are you guys talking about? Is there a picture somewhere?

The first picture in post 251 shows the new street brushed aluminum poles with a standard black traffic control fixture mounted on it.

They look pretty good. I don't get the complaining.

^^ Thanks.

^Looks good to me too. Ah well, matter of opinion.

C2E SME

Well I had a quick look on a google search for pictures of traffic lights and you have two options basically, black as we have it there right now or yellow. If it is a choice between those two colours I'll pick black. I could be wrong but I don't doubt there must also be some sort of regulations governing the designs of traffic lights, especially the face of the lights.

^ Agreed. Edmonton's black traffic light backgrounds look much better than Calgary's Big Bird yellow on any type of pole.

More delays:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...886/story.html

The grand pedestrian-friendly Capital Boulevard being created on 108th Street from MacEwan University to the legislature has also been held up by scheduling conflicts and weather.

Although it was supposed to be finished this year, it probably won’t be done until the middle of next summer, said Paul Szczepanski, head of arterial roads design and construction.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Middle of next summer? wtf.
    www.decl.org

^They've been working 7 days a week on the roadwork. I'm guessing it's everything else that will take time...always the finishing details
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Too bad, it would have been nice if they could have completed this project this year. Although I'd really like to know why it will take all the way till next summer. Are they going to wait till mid to late spring before starting up again?

highlander

They haven't even started north of 103 Ave, so I'm not at all surprised.

Last time I went by 108 Street, a few of the lights on the fancy new light fixtures had been installed. Looked very sexy! Hopefully they can at least finish a good portion of them this year for the winter.

When will they do the (inteirm) opening of the Jasper to 102 ave stretch ?
    Enough already

Frpom what I saw today - the section from 100-102 avenues, while not finished, looks as if it could be opened to traffic until work resumes in the Spring.

Unless, more work will be undertaken still in this construction season.
    ... gobsmacked

Drove thru this street from Jasper turning towards the building with the dome, currently covered with tarps. I think it will look awesome in the summer.

^ also known as the Legislature...

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Oh sorry lol. I'm new. The legislature would probably look iconic along that street. Does Capital Boulevard have the potential to be like Robson in Van?

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Oh sorry lol. I'm new. The legislature would probably look iconic along that street. Does Capital Boulevard have the potential to be like Robson in Van?
    At this point no... there really isn't any retail on the street. But give it time. We'll have to see if these streetscape improvements encourage a newfound retail presence on 108 Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    At this point no... there really isn't any retail on the street. But give it time. We'll have to see if these streetscape improvements encourage a newfound retail presence on 108 Street.
    Never say never but never.

Robson is so different for so many reasons.

108st does have the chance to become an elegant and somewhat active street though... but more importantly a wonderful linkage and nod to its ends.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

So anyone see any work resume on this project yet?

Negative. Likely a few more weeks.
    www.decl.org

Looks like some electrical work going on today. Backhoe and HydroVac truck across from Norquest.

rectangular black stone pylons falling like dominos

C2E SME

?? oh?? do tell, what exactly is happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    rectangular black stone pylons falling like dominos
    Criptic postings **** me off so just come out with what your going on about did something break that shouldn't have or what?

Administrator *

I think he's talking about the bollards along the curb. I have already noticed a few of them are not quite vertical.

Cryptic eh ?
    Sorry to once again offendi

Ya quite a few have been damaged. While I like the clean look of the dark granite bollards, I think they may need some reflective tape so motorists and cleaning crews can see them in the winter when buried by snow.
    www.decl.org

or just put steel bollards with granite paint and see how driving improves.
    www.decl.org

how good would it be to have all the buildings fronting 108th have their first few floors retrofitted to house retail. Then it would not only be a nice street, but actually offer something along it.

Or.... just food truck it up.
    www.decl.org

^Food truck boulevard destination/attraction. Pleasant odors of freshly prepared foods wafting through the corridors of downtown.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

i thought it was meant to be a dignified boulevard, a mall of sorts to the legislature - the idea of food trucks along it devalue it - That is a personal opinion of mine.

While food trucks are a good idea the problem is that they can move, leaving the street with a dearth of retail. Should we not include dining choices in the arena district simply because we could fill it with food trucks?

C2E SME

I think that the changes on 108 Street will be organic, much like 104 Street.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think that the changes on 108 Street will be organic, much like 104 Street.
    Hopefully with all the momentum downtown Edmonton is now experiencing, it won't take as long as 104 street has. It's taken a really long time since the new street design of 104 street to get to where we are today.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast