Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Edmonton's Late and Great Businesses... your memories please!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Can anyone tell me the former name of the Comfort Inn at 100 ave and 105 st. We had friends in town last weekend on business and met them there. All week I have been racking my brain. Top of the fifth street hill on the right, for years and years. Please help.

Renford in on Fifth.

Now home of the absolute rock bottom bar in E-chuck - The Dopeside Pub.

Does anybody remember Tilt's arcade across the street back in the early 80s ?

Glory Days !!
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 06-12-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks TD but before that even, like 50s, 60s, and 70s

Top_Dawg vaguely remembers there was a hotel but not exactly on that lot.

It was immediately to the east where that four story condo sits.

Good question as to its name.

Top _Dawg forgets.

It was ' something Motor Inn ' .

Holy **** that waz a long time ago !

Not the Greenbrier ?
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

No, the Greenbriar was where 102 street turns into 100 avenue.

Later became the Econo-Lodge.

Good ol' Greenbriar.

Top_Dawg spent over two decades getting shytfaced in there.

We used to go to the bar for drinks whenever there was a snowstorm
    The view of the traffic on the slippery hill was entertaining
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Black Bull Pizza on 102 St where Hawkeyes Too is now. Best Hawaiian Pizza ever. Is the Black Bull located north of the Mayfield Inn the same people?

Downtown movie followed by Black Bull Pizza remains one of Top_Dawg's greatest memories from when he was just a pup.

And yes, Top_Dawg has heard that the Black Bull in Mayfield was opened by one of the original brothers that held the downtown location.

One of the wall mirrors in Hawkeye's bar still has a large image of a bull and matador etched into the glass.

When Top_Dawg tells people that the image is from when the place was Black Bull Pizza they look at Top_Dawg like he's a ****** fossil.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I have a vague recollection of a hotel of some sorts by the then Chateau Lacombe. If I recall this had about 2 floors with parking at grade underneath or something like that. Is that the one you mean? Maybe it's still there
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

It's the Comfort Inn. It was something else for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    It's the Comfort Inn. It was something else for decades.
    One of these days I'll think of it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^I'm still trying to figure out the name of the dive hotel occasionally I stayed at in the late 1970's on 109th street. It would have been about where Save on Foods is located now. It was adjacent to the A&W. It's possible I'm the only one on this board that goes back that far. Does anyone else here know what I'm talking about?
    Last edited by envaneo; 07-12-2013 at 12:10 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^I looked at the Henderson's Directory for 1953. It doesn't list the A&W, so I can't tell what would be next to it. It does list 2 apartment buildings (I assume). Picton Apartments at 10216-109 Street and Rosslyn Court at 10238. In between was Blanchett Neon and Subway Motors.

http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibl...62.47/285.html
    http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibl...62.47/286.html

This is pretty much the only photo I could find on Google (it was taken in 1961):

https://hermis.alberta.ca/paa/PhotoG...bjectID=A11188
    Last edited by TerryH; 07-12-2013 at 01:13 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^Thank you so much! That's the hotel I used to stay at in between moves. I recall on the top floor West side cold rainy weekend afternoons. This adds a lot of closure. I think room rents were something like $8 night. I stayed there 1979 and 1980 couple of times. I remember it being a little bigger maybe 3-4 stories. But that was a long time ago. The building behind it was an empty lot when I lived at this hotel. I didn't even know the Peal directory existed. What did you do Google the address? Thanks again Terry!

^I can't recall how I found the Peel Library site. Probably by a link from another site. Like the Our Future/Our Past site, they have a collection of scanned newspapers and reference books. What the Peel site has is that one can scan for keywords to help find a story or article in a paper.

I saw a webpage that mentioned the directory was in existence until 1987, when privacy laws forced its closure. Too bad, as that was a great reference guide. I wonder if the 1954 to 1987 ones will be scanned or if the Peel project was just a short term one that only came about by extra funding.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Nice job though, the long building is the "Hotel" I stayed in. Its kind of like the Transit hotel on Fort Road kind of a thing. For some reason the building in 1980 seemed much bigger to me then what it is in this photo. The 7-11 is there today right across the street

I can see where privacy laws towards the end of the Peel library run would have been important enough to shut it down. To me its a forward thinking move back in 1987's time because privacy laws were not so much as controversial as they are today.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Another Late and Great business is Xentel. I don't know if any of you remember them but they were a fundraising company, here in Edmonton first known as Great Western Entertainment, then iMark solutions. They folded their operations here in Edmonton almost a year ago. They organized events like "Old timer hockey challenge", "Magic n' Miracles," and the fan favorite "Baseball Bonanza." BB sponsored the July first Canada Day fireworks.

Default A blast from the past

Can anyone remember the name of a restaurant on Jasper Avenue , in the 1960's, where you had to go downstairs to get into it - AND you could have your tea leaves read there? My teenage girlfriends and I used to think that was very special. It was down toward the Strand Theatre, I think....

American Dairy Lunch
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

^Later became Ciro's Restaurant. Here's a facebook photo of the Strand Theatre Building probably from 1955 or 1956:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

That reminds me. Back in the 70s, one of the department-stores downtown, probably The Bay, Eaton's, or Woodwards, had a little fast-food stand on the second floor. If you were taking the elevator up, it was right there in front of you as you got off.

As I recall, it was NOT an Orange Julius, but sold stuff in that general vein. Hot dogs, milkshakes, etc. I think there also might have been a sitting area.

Would anyone happen to remember what it was called, and/or what store it was in?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Brown Bager?

It may have been the Bay. When I was in Calgary, the downtown Bay had a snack stand on the 2nd floor, next to the escalator. They had hot dogs and fruit drink fountains. Used to always get the peach drink. In Edmonton, I used to buy some snacks in the basemen of the Bay back in the 70s. Always a package of corned beef and one individual size each of Cheddar, Gouda and Edam cheese. It also used to have a ticket area. I recall buying Eskimo Knothole Gang tickets to sit in the stands at the north end zone at Clarke Stadium. Not sure what other tickets they sold.

TerryH, I'm being a little picky but it was the Woodwards Knothole Gang and the seats were on the South Side of Clarke Stadium.

^Oops. Yeah, you're right, Ralph. It's been many a year since I bought a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ Brown Bager?
    Hmm. Doesn't quite ring the bell, but it was a long time ago.

Terry's desciption of the stand at the Calgary Bay sounds very similar to what I'm recalling. Though I'm not sure if it was the Bay that had the place in Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60 View Post
    TerryH, I'm being a little picky but it was the Woodwards Knothole Gang and the seats were on the South Side of Clarke Stadium.

Yeah, mocked and disparaged by the cooler pups as the ' Cornhole Gang ' .

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    ^ Brown Bager?

Terry's desciption of the stand at the Calgary Bay sounds very similar to what I'm recalling. Though I'm not sure if it was the Bay that had the place in Edmonton.
    If it wasn't the Bay could it have been either Kresge's or The Met. Both had lunch counters as I recall but can't remember if any of them had two levels. I too have fond memories of the hot dogs and milk shakes served at these type of lunch counters. Always was a treat during Saturday shopping trips downtown.
    Last edited by edTel; 28-04-2014 at 12:37 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Brown Bager?

The Brown Bagger was on the East side of The Bay (Edmonton) beside the exit doors. The burgers they had were similar to the $1 burgers 7-11 used to have. It was a good place to grab a cheep lunch, until Joe's cafe in the basement of the boardwalk opened.

^ Brown Bager?

The Brown Bagger was on the East side of The Bay (Edmonton) beside the exit doors. The burgers they had were similar to the $1 burgers 7-11 used to have. It was a good place to grab a cheep lunch, until Joe's cafe in the basement of the boardwalk opened.
    If the Brown Bagger was on the main floor, then I don't think it's the same place. The place I'm thinking of was on a higher floor.

edtel:

I recall it as being in one of the "Big Three" department stores(The Bay, Eatons, or Woodwards). I'm not even sure if I went into Kresge or the Met.

Does anyone recall if Eatons had more than one floor?

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    ^Later became Ciro's Restaurant.

Wasn't Ciro's closer to 101 Street?
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

^I can't say if they moved but that Facebook photo, from the Vintage Edmonton group, shows it at the Strand between McBain Camera and the theatre entrance. I tried looking for Ciro's but there's pretty much nothing out there.

First One is Always Free

I just stumbled onto this thread.

I have one that nobody will probably remember. It was a little Chinese food place called Richards Restaurant close to the corner of 63rd Ave and 104 St.
    I was a kid and I was allowed to order dry ribs all for myself. That's probably why I remember it.

Also I noticed some conversation regarding Studio 82. Again as a kid, I remember riding my banana seat bike (I think we called them Mustangs) to studio 82 to watch all day matinee cheesy monster movies. Popcorn boxes were flying around and the floor was sticky. Always a fun time.

Lastly, there used to be a Drive-In where Southgate now is. I recall being able to see the movies from our kitchen window. I think it was called the South Side drive in.
    There was also a Pacific 66 beside our house, now a Petro Can.

Smile The Wonderful 70's and 80's

Shakey's and their awesome fries at Centennial Mall. The Corkscrew on 142 street and Stony Plain road with the great bar downstairs. Goonies on 149th and Stony Plain road, Tiki Tiki, Hanigan's Hamburgers, and my all time favourite had to be Buffalo Bill's by the Chateau Louis off Kingsway that had the massive Oak Barrel booths.
    What I miss the most is Drive In theatres and the Car Hops at A&W.
    We have a lot to be proud of in this city and our rich history of unique places is definitely one.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I remember the Corkscrew. It was on the NW corner of of SPR and 142nd I believe and i think I went in there once. Thanks for bringing that to my memory.

A long list of old businesses and associated articles here to trigger some memories...

http://www.lastlinkontheleft.com/e006bus.html

excerpt:
    edmonton - the herzog files - business enterprises

"Selected articles about Edmonton's business enterprises from Lawrence Herzog's online columns
    at the Edmonton Heritage Council and Real Estate Weekly websites.

--- Index --- "...

My mother used to mention American Dairy Lunch and just now in a search for it, I came across the above link:
    As far as American Dairy Lunch goes, found this:

"The building is a representative example of an elegant pre-World War I apartment building, which has maintained the full integrity of its historic design and fabric. The Westminster Apartments had a long association with the Spillios family beginning in 1948 when George Spillios, a leader in Edmontons Greek community and proprietor of the citys well-known American Dairy Lunch, purchased the building. It was the beginning of nearly 50 years of family ownership."

http://yegishome.ca/news/2004/11/18/...s-2004-plaques

~
    Last edited by KC; 03-12-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Default Sha Na Na's

Quote Originally Posted by DJTeK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Wizard View Post
    ok I know of you...Aggie spoke often of you
    HAHA! Wow .. Aggie.. not a name I've heard in a while. Man I miss Na's.. was a great time!
    Will?
    Holy Bleep!
    Not sure if you remember me.... Dave... I was a bouncer there back in around '86. I dated Delight for a while. Also worked with Fab and Curtis.
    Do you happen to know Aggie's last name? It would be awesome to get in touch with her again.....

Quote Originally Posted by JPRandall View Post
    Shakey's and their awesome fries at Centennial Mall. The Corkscrew on 142 street and Stony Plain road with the great bar downstairs. Goonies on 149th and Stony Plain road, Tiki Tiki, Hanigan's Hamburgers, and my all time favourite had to be Buffalo Bill's by the Chateau Louis off Kingsway that had the massive Oak Barrel booths.
    What I miss the most is Drive In theatres and the Car Hops at A&W.
    We have a lot to be proud of in this city and our rich history of unique places is definitely one.
    I remember Shakey's quite well. Ate there too often in my younger years.
    We always ate their pizza. One of the good ones gone. SIGH

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I remember Sha Na Na's, we would go dancing there during week nights. If I recall it was located in a basement where the Devonian building is now Jasper and 112th street. That was 25 years ago.
    Last edited by envaneo; 05-01-2015 at 02:16 PM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Sha Na Nas was in the Ellis building north of the Devonian.
    https://goo.gl/maps/xANAR

I went there once in the early 90s - it was a sad, desperate place, reminded me of Gas Pump as of the past couple of years.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Thanks, I recognize the building. Your right it was a bit of a dive but it had cheep beers and for the most part they stayed away from Rap and Hip-hop (not saying anything wrong with that kind of music). Sha Na's was the last of my dancing days.

A colleague of mine still lives in the apartments above the Gas Pump. Never been in that one, although the bouncer there was a roomie with another colleague of mine. Circa 2004, something like that.
    Last edited by envaneo; 05-01-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Sha Na Nas was in the Ellis building north of the Devonian.
    https://goo.gl/maps/xANAR
    Yup, Top_Dawg remembers it well.

And before that there was a lounge in there called Jonathan's.

Quite upscale for its time - opened up by Corky Levin of The Steak Loft & Lucifer's Lounge that burned down circa 1978. ( Across Jasper Avenue from the MacDonald Hotel for those not here back then or still swirling around in Baghdad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I went there once in the early 90s - it was a sad, desperate place, reminded me of Gas Pump as of the past couple of years.
    Sad ?

Desperate ?

What you talking about SDM ?

The Gas Pump iz awesome.

And gonna get better.

It was sold again recently and the new owners are starting a big renovation there later this month.

That's good to know re: ownership change and renovations. Last time I was at the Pump a couple of years ago it was full of gangsta thugs and the type of women you've lovingly referred to as "warthogs".
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I remember the Coffee Cup and I once went on a date to Ali Baba's. two other great places were the Tuck Shoppe and Zorba's at the university...Oh, and the Hide-a-Way cabaret in the basement of the Ambassador hotel (I think). Met my husband there on a flashing coloured dance floor.

Square Pizza Shack.

Never had one, always wanted one.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Used to have breakfast/coffees at the Coffee Cup Inn 97th and Jasper before going to the jobsites 60s and 70s. it had round porthole style windows.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Anyone remember Checker lunch?

Last edited by Drumbones; 16-04-2015 at 03:34 AM.

Anyone remember Checker lunch?
    envaneo I found this old picture of you walking in to the checker lunch. lol

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Rats the secret is out. ops

First One is Always Free

The Purple Onion 104 St, just south of Whyte. The only nightclub I've ever been in. I can't stand bars and clubs...but that will always be a fond memory to me.

Naked on Jasper: a great cybercafe with really decent coffee.

Is it too early to mention Future Shop?

Purple Onion. I rode a Harley back then and picking up chics there was a breeze. Oh, the good old days! Sold my last Harley in 1999. All downhill since.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I remember the Purple onion on Stony Plain Road in the 90's. The building was actually painted purple but it had got a bad rep as a biker hangout during its shelf life. The only club that I really liked even though it was a bit grimy was Sha Na Na's, covered elsewhere in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Leafs Fan in Edmonton View Post
    The Purple Onion 104 St, just south of Whyte. The only nightclub I've ever been in. I can't stand bars and clubs...but that will always be a fond memory to me.
    Their old radio ads from the late 80s...

"Purple Onion. Where the north side goes to the south side to party."

I think that's the only time I've heard a club frame its identity in such regionalist terms. Not sure why they were doing that. Were there lots of people on the north side who wanted to go clubbing on the south side, but were intimidated by all the highbrows at a regular south-side club?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ If I recall the Purple Onion was on White Ave beside where Tim's is now, empty lot where the bikers meat in the summer?

Nope. West side of Calgary Trail southbound about a block south of Whyte.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I vividly remember their Stony Plain Road location though, never went in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Nope. West side of Calgary Trail southbound about a block south of Whyte.
    Yeah Kitlope, it was where The Pint is today.

Oh PO you were glory.
    Is Rosie's still around there? The by mila pub closed a few years ago.

PO then Rosies for karaoke
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Rosie's was great. I used to go to their 124th street location all the time in the '90's all the time.
    Last edited by envaneo; 24-07-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Oh PO you were glory.
    Is Rosie's still around there? The by mila pub closed a few years ago.
    Yes the Old Strathcona location is still open AFAIK

^ If I recall the Purple Onion was on White Ave beside where Tim's is now, empty lot where the bikers meat in the summer?
    Speaking of bikerish hangouts, I was never sure if Tin Lizzie's was the name of the upstairs strip club in Old Strathcona, or the dive bar downstairs. I went to the former once or twice, never the latter.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I lived on 80th Ave a few blocks away from the arena on 109th but that was in the early 1980's. I don't like the South Side. I'm mostly a North end kind of guy.

^ I lived on 80th Ave a few blocks away from the arena on 109th but that was in the early 1980's. I don't like the South Side. I'm mostly a North end kind of guy.
    Same here for being a North side guy, or, more specifically, downtown.

As for Whyte Avenue/Old Strathcona, I went through phases...

Late 70s/early 80s, I thought it was a dismal and depressing backwater. Why would anyone wanna go there when they could hang out downtown?

Mid-80s to about the early 90s(the onset of revitalization), I thought it had become a pretty cool place, and totally bought into its self-projected image as an artistic hub. The Fringe, Princess Theatre, etc.

By the mid-90s, hanging out there was more a matter of convenience and habit. I had gone there a lot in my university days(for obvious reasons), and continued that after I graduated, because I was still hanging out with quite a few people who lived in the area.

By the late 90s/2000s, I was totally sick of the place, especially the "trendy" area between the Strath and 109th. I disliked both the jumped-up artsiness of the area(despite having bought it hook line and sinker before), and the influx of drunken truck-nutz that came in around that time. I moved away shortly after the Canada Day riots, and except for the odd screening at the Princess, try to avoid the place whenever I'm in town.

CBC Radio this week was talking about the past businesses on Jasper Avenue. Though, I'm not sure if a podcast is available.

Some trivia on KFC...

"In 1965, Sanders moved to Mississauga, Ontario to oversee his Canadian franchises and continued to collect franchise and appearance fees both in Canada and in the U.S. Sanders bought and lived in a bungalow at 1337 Melton Drive in the Lakeview area of Mississauga from 1965 to 1980.[27]"
    Source:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post
    The Cafeteria on the 10th floor of the old City Hall overlooking Churchill Sq

The old variety stores downtown
    Woolworths, The Met, and Zellers in the Tegler Building with the old style lunch counters,

Kresges in Westmount

The Malt Stop in the basement of the Bay on Jasper Ave
    The animated Christmas windows at the Bay along Jasper Ave, which were shipped to Toronto years ago

Having a Harry Rosen in Edmonton Centre
    The huge trees's in the Garden Court of Edmonton Centre, then "The Heart of the City" their jingle not mine, A photo of it was featured in a 1976 article on Edmonton in National Geographic

The fantastic old Eatons store before the Ghermizians got there hands on it.......

The frustration of buying anything at Consumers Distributing, those damned stupid little pencils..........

The original Southgate centre court fountian with the one that shot up 30 feet to the skykights, with the large square pool with the bridge and the BEST Santa's Village in the city,

Woodwards Food Floors, and $1.49 days, period. especially back to school.

The tacky old Centennial Mall Woolco where all the farmers from west of the city came to shop while in town. though it did have a Shakeys Pizza!

Goose Loonies, on the southside and Scandals Nightclub in the Sheraton-Caravan Hotel ( Now the Holiday Inn Express)with the phones that you could call other tables to hit on people...... so 1980's

The local KFC/Burger King Drive Inns with the best milkshakes in town

More Later........
    Last edited by KC; 27-08-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Comic Castle, it was on the corner of Whyte and 104. It had a store front across the street from Army and Navy, but the had the whole basement full of back issues. At one point they sublet a corner of the basement to a sports card store and had a too scale TARDIS. After the boxing day fire that destroyed Antiquarian Books and seriously damaged the original Wee Book Inn and Comic Annex next door, the same owners moved the Wee Book Inn to the store front while keeping the the comic stores in the basement. After the new Wee Book Inn was rebuilt the comic store remained on both floors for five more years till it was closed due to increasing rent. They had a closing out sale and a copy of Spider-Man number 1 that survived the Annex fire and was priced at $1000.00 was sold for $500.00. The remaining stock after the closure as moved to Amazing Stories in the basement of the Wee Book Inn next to Beaver Hills Park on Jasper Ave

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I mostly went to Warp 1 in the '80's-90's. Was Comic Castle before or after Dark star across the street?

Anyone remember SuperClef?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Shakey's pizza!!!
    Heh, I have one of their pizza pans. Inherited from someone who 'acquired' it.

I'll mention Turnbull Motors but will note bias since it was run by my father-in-law.
    Loved the all you can eat pizza days at Shakey's (west end), and the bare bones cafeteria style eating area.

As for Turnbull, my father bought a NewYorker there in the 70s. I actually just saw the car again about 5 years ago outside a garage sale in the neighbouring neighbourhood. The guy asked my last name and took me out to the car to show me my dad's name on a Bill of Sale or something that was still with the car. It probably still had the Turnbull Motors emblem on the trunk.
    Last edited by KC; 14-10-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Can anyone tell me the former name of the Comfort Inn at 100 ave and 105 st. We had friends in town last weekend on business and met them there. All week I have been racking my brain. Top of the fifth street hill on the right, for years and years. Please help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Top _Dawg forgets.

Well Drumbone,

yesterday Top_Dawg bumped into a friend who remembers it.

You are absolutely right and Top_Dawg's memory did fail him somewhat.

It did sit where the Comfort Inn is today, not where the condo is.

The name of it was either Midtown Motor Inn or Midtowner Motor Inn.

Top_Dawg can still vaguely remember the sign.

^ Would that be the location of the Ambassador Motor Inn? Back in the late 1980s it was known as the Ambo by my punker friends who went there for gigs.

First One is Always Free

I remember years ago working off 50th and the Yellowhead, there was a fantastic burger spot that was in a bus - this was over ten years ago. Is it still around?

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    ^ Would that be the location of the Ambassador Motor Inn? Back in the late 1980s it was known as the Ambo by my punker friends who went there for gigs.
    No, the Ambassador was the name of what is now the Day's Inn on 106 street between Jasper and 100 ave.

The basement had a big azz tavern where punk bands played up until the early 90s.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I remember years ago working off 50th and the Yellowhead, there was a fantastic burger spot that was in a bus - this was over ten years ago. Is it still around?
    I'm close to the area and I haven't seen it.

Not Ambassador, not Midtown but has me racking my brain again.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    No, the Ambassador was the name of what is now the Day's Inn on 106 street between Jasper and 100 ave.

The basement had a big azz tavern where punk bands played up until the early 90s.
    Punk bands? More like blues bands because it was across the street from the old Embers. I don't recall seeing a lot of punk type people. Although most of the bands played Saturday afternoons. Hobbits was my old stomping grounds. Wes is still around but i don't know about Bruce.
    Last edited by envaneo; 06-01-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Are you thinking 66st and Yellowhead? The Motoraunt was/is just north of that corner.

^ "was". Motoraunt closed down a few years ago. Previously they were at Jasper Ave and 112 St when it used to be a parking lot (is now Allard Block with Joey, 7-11, Who Cares, etc).

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I can't remember what the parking lot was before Joey's got there.

It was a near vacant lot forever, with Motoraunt parked on the far north west corner of it.

And before that it was Miller Motors, a Dodge-Plymouth-Chrysler dealership.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Does anyone remember the Gold Nugget gas station on the corner of 156 and 95th Ave in the West end?

First One is Always Free

Top _Dawg forgets.

Well Drumbone,

yesterday Top_Dawg bumped into a friend who remembers it.

You are absolutely right and Top_Dawg's memory did fail him somewhat.

It did sit where the Comfort Inn is today, not where the condo is.

The name of it was either Midtown Motor Inn or Midtowner Motor Inn.

Top_Dawg can still vaguely remember the sign.
    I believe the Comfort Inn Downtown was the Midtowner back when it first opened...it went through a few other changes before becoming the Renford on 5th, then the Garden City Inn, before Choice Hotels bought it in 1999 and it became the Comfort Inn (I worked there from February of 2000 till July of 2005, and heard a few of the old stories about the pub down in the basement and other craziness...)

i stumbled across this thread when googling Silk O Lina! my mom used to take us there in Southgate Mall, back in the day. she'd slap my grubby little hand whenever i tried to touch the various fabrics...

so many things i remember. someone above mentioned the Ambo being a punk rock venue, and i remember this as well. it didn't last long like that, maybe from 1989 to 1991 or so. it was usually small local bands that played there, and on other nights they had a DJ spinning alternative music.

there was a 1950s themed place in Southgate mall... it was called Nifty Fifties and i think it was in the location of the former Zumburgers. also in Southgate we had World of Pets and a toy shoppe called Hans Christian Anderson, which mostly had puzzles and games i think. and there was a hobby store called Leisure World, and Erica's Deli. Erica's was located by the library for many many years, but Southgate raised the rent and they had to close up shop. not to mention the funky accessories shop called Bojangles.

downstairs at the Woodward's in Southgate, i think there was a lunch counter where we bought malts in the summer. the food floor had an international food section where you could sometimes buy chocolate covered ants and iced gems (still available in the UK). at the deli counter they sold "chocolate mis-shapes" which were ultra-cheap imperfect chocolates in nondescript bags. and the Bay in Southgate had a t-shirt decal shop, where we got our various rainbow and unicorn t-shirts! upstairs at the Bay was a candy counter where we got florals gums (aka "soap candy") and blue whales jelly candy.

one toy shop i miss a lots is Kites and Other Delights, and also Elephants Never Forget.

up on 109th street and 72nd avenue was the 24-hour Sunshine Donuts and Fudge (formerly Tropic Sun Fruit & Nut, i believe). i spent many a late night there. and i remember Sir Donut in several locations including Old Strathcona.

on Whyte Ave and 104th Street, there was a great little pharmacy (maybe called Sterling?) which sold New York Seltzer in stubby glass bottles. i haven't had any since about 1986, and i do miss it.

downtown we had Quintessence in Edmonton Centre, which was an awesome but expensive gift shop. i think they lost a lot of merchandise from theft because of their location by the side doors. they kept staff on the floor to try to discourage thievery, but unfortunately the store didn't last long. my friends and i spent too much time at Rigoletto's on Rice Howard Way, where we nursed coffees to have a place to hang out inside from the cold after high school classes.

down further on the south side was Venezia's Pizza. my mom had some for a work lunch and insisted we should try it once. we didn't eat out often when i was a kid, so getting pizza from a full-price restaurant was a big occasion. it was by far the best pizza i have ever eaten. i can still taste the fresh herbs used in the sauce!!!

in the 1980s we had a brief explosion of grocery mega-stores, including Food Giant and Food Barn(? not sure of the name).

i remember a furniture shop by the name of Friendly Bears. i think it was a small mom-and-pop place that mostly sold wooden furniture.

there was a bar on the north side called the Greenhouse ("the Greenhouse, the Greeeeeeeenhouse. take it to the limit - tonight!").

i was just looking up an old shop called Triangle TV and Organ Sound Service, which is showing as active in google even though it closed 20 years ago!

of course, i can never forget the Gainers meat packing plant and their strike.

over the summer we used to get refillable pop bottles from someplace called Happy Pop. they had some similar pop flavours to Pop Shoppe including Lime Rickey, but they also had a flavour called Giggle that was yellow.

So Top_Dawg and one of his old wing men were going down memory lane yesterday.

Top_Dawg is wondering if some of C2Es old farts remember the indoor roller skating facility ( Rollerdome ? ) that was downtown back in the mid 70s.

Eons ago, when Top_Dawg was just a pup, his obedience school took his grade on a recreational trip to this roller skating rink.

Top_Dawg vaguely recalls the interior had the smooth concrete roller skating oval, equipment rental desk, a snack bar and seating lounge, and some old pinball / arcade games strewn about.

Even at his young age, Top_Dawg recognized that the place was a total pussy magnet for any guy who could half assed roller skate.

It seems to Top_Dawg that it was somewhere around the Grand Hotel. Was it maybe where the Greyhound Station was built ?

Later of course it relocated to a derelict warehouse somewhere in that crack ghetto of walk-ups towards Stadium LRT station.

Does anybody remember exactly where it was downtown ?

Did that building get re-purposed ?

Is it still standing today ?

Totally tangential, but the roller rink in Sherwood Park was repurposed into the toy factory where those wooden-based, powder-coated-wires-with-beads toys are made that are a fixture in every doctor's office.

(The summer I turned 16 I worked on the finishing line. Good times.)
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Top_Dawg is wondering if some of C2Es old farts remember the indoor roller skating facility ( Rollerdome ? ) that was downtown back in the mid 70s.

Eons ago, when Top_Dawg was just a pup, his obedience school took his grade on a recreational trip to this roller skating rink.

Top_Dawg vaguely recalls the interior had the smooth concrete roller skating oval, equipment rental desk, a snack bar and seating lounge, and some old pinball / arcade games strewn about.

Even at his young age, Top_Dawg recognized that the place was a total pussy magnet for any guy who could half assed roller skate.

It seems to Top_Dawg that it was somewhere around the Grand Hotel. Was it maybe where the Greyhound Station was built ?

Later of course it relocated to a derelict warehouse somewhere in that crack ghetto of walk-ups towards Stadium LRT station.

"Later of course it relocated to a derelict warehouse somewhere in that crack ghetto of walk-ups towards Stadium LRT station."

I think this must be the 'locale' I visited - as I went once and never returned.

However, I did frequent the tavern in the back of the Mayfield Hotel for elbow exercises and smoke inhalation training (what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger right). It's now called "DoubleTree by Hilton" as if that will legitimize its past.
    Last edited by KC; 15-09-2016 at 10:51 AM.

The latter was where I saw the Dead Kennedys play.

I believe it was in the old Etons warehouse about where the Stantec JW towers are now.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wasn't this where the Save On foods is adjacent to Borden park?

^^

Thanks BalancedOP.

Yeah, to Top_Dawg's recollection it was right about there.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

The Rollerdome was on the (southwest) corner of 104 Avenue and 103 Street. They tore it down when they built the Greyhound Station. So the Rollerdome stood where the north end of the Greyhound Station stood until recently. I believe it was still there when SportsWorld was built over off 82 Street near the LRT tracks north of 112 Ave. SportsWorld was way cooler. I remember going there sometime between 1978-1980 -- satin shorts and all. I think it either moved, or they opened a second location, in the west end north of 118 Avenue around 152 Street.

Thanks bornandraised.

Except for the satin shorts part of course.

Good memory.

I still remember listening to Careless Whisper by Wham at SportsWorld in late 84 or early 85. I had a crush on a girl classmate as I was 11 years old and I think we tried to "dance" to the song while Rollerskating. Just wild.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^^ I lived in Riverside Towers in 1979 I don't remember SportsWorld.

Anyone have a photo of the building?

There used to be a Sears near the traffic circle on 118 Ave. and 101 St. or Princess Elizabeth Ave. Does anyone know if the building itself is still there?
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    There used to be a Sears near the traffic circle on 118 Ave. and 101 St. or Princess Elizabeth Ave. Does anyone know if the building itself is still there?
    It was on 118 Avenue around 103 Street -- I am guessing roughly across from the little strip mall that houses ABC Weddings. I believe NAIT had retro-fitted the building and used it for a while, but I'm nearly positive it's now been demo'd as there are a lot of new buildings in that area. I remember shopping at "Sears Park Plaza" as a kid, around 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by bornandraised View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    It was on 118 Avenue around 103 Street -- I am guessing roughly across from the little strip mall that houses ABC Weddings. I believe NAIT had retro-fitted the building and used it for a while, but I'm nearly positive it's now been demo'd as there are a lot of new buildings in that area. I remember shopping at "Sears Park Plaza" as a kid, around 1974.

Not positive, but I believe that is referred to as "Building L" on the NAIT Campus map. Also not really in touch with whether it is still in use, but it used to be for engineering studies.

http://www.nait.ca/97571.htm

And I think it was always known as "Simpsons-Sears", not as "Sears." (although it became Sears with the move to Kingsway Garden Mall.)
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

^You are correct Jaybee.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast