Thread: NAIT to be largest Tech School

never answered e-mail

Default NAIT to be largest Tech School

NAIT to become Canada's largest technical school

10-year, $750 million expansion plan announced

The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) unveiled details of its $750 million campus expansion plan that will make it the largest technical school in Canada, and one of the largest in North America. It will include consolidating NAIT's eight Edmonton-area operations into two main sites the existing main campus and a new campus in south Edmonton, a student village including a residence and the Centre for Oil Sands Applied Research.

The 10-year-plan, to be completed in 2016, will increase NAIT's annual training capacity by nearly 50 per cent from 65,000 to 95,000 students. Increasing NAIT's annual enrollment will play a key role in addressing Alberta's critical shortage of skilled workers.

HIGHLIGHTS

Construction on the new south-side campus will begin after NAIT acquires the land. The new campus will cover at least eight hectares.

The number of spaces available at NAIT's Grande Prairie location will increase from 278 to 1,000 and there are plans to build student housing.

A Centre for Health and Wellness available to students and the public at the north-central campus could be completed as early as 2009. Among other services, it will include a fitness centre, aquatic facilities and a health clinic.

Visit www.nait.ca for more details on NAIT's expansion plan

potential sLRT expansion comment in 3....2.....1....
    Shameless Urbanophile

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by onishenko
    hahhaa.....BINGO
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

How about connecting both campuses?

Nait->Kingsway->Royal Alex->GMCC->Downtown->Uni->Uni South Campus->.....->Nait South Campus->Nisku->Airport...

Great line!

At the same time, we could build the wLRT too. wem-> meadowlark->zoo->university->downtown->NELRT

Don't get me going on the HUGE need for a Zoo LRT stop... ...*cough*....

But yes, the NAIT to NAIT line is the 'bee's knees' (?).
    Shameless Urbanophile

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Don't get me going on the HUGE need for a Zoo LRT stop...
    Won't happen given its location. It......just.....won't....
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Hey, if the Souch campus on Gateway Blvd closes down for good, then imagine what could be done there! Re-align Calgary Trail over it, build that tunnel down to the Walterdale, build a Walterdale II, etc...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

You don't need that campus to shut down to re-do the N/S access to DT...

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    You don't need that campus to shut down to re-do the N/S access to DT...
    True, but by bringing C-Trail over across to Gateway, we just need to build one tunnel instead of two separate ones!

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

My point is that there are crappier buildings behind and in front of NAIT, and a lot of vacant land in front of NAIT (south of the campus)....

So back on the NAIT Campus.... Ralph Klien Campus, eh? And this will be south of Ellerslie and W of QE2 I imagine? Isn't that where Grant Mac said they'd do their expansion Campus aswell?
    Shameless Urbanophile

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    My point is that there are crappier buildings behind and in front of NAIT, and a lot of vacant land in front of NAIT (south of the campus)....
    Yeah, I'm all for bulldozing that entire stretch too!

156723902-003
    07-May-2015
    11940 - 109 STREET NW
    Plan 5518NY Blk 8 Lot 1
    101 - AIRPORT ROAD NW
    Plan 9220135 Blk 6A Lot 2

To construct interior and exterior alterations to an existing General Industrial Use / educational services building, "NAIT Het" Expansion - Hanger 4.

PCL CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT INC, TONY

Hmm... appears to be quite a ways north of the NAIT campus.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

highlander

I've heard that the "Souch" campus programmes will eventually be consolidated to main campus. NAIT now thinks that a single transit-accessible campus is a big asset.

^I find it disapointing when schools or universities expand outside of the downtown / inner city. Sure, NAIT could perhaps build cheap and dirty on greenfield, but not good urban / city planning. Students add vibrancy to the city, and where vibrancy is needed most is in the core. Hopefully will all be consolidated one campus, would be neat to have a downtown or quarters NAIT campus though.
    Last edited by moahunter; 19-05-2015 at 01:19 PM.

highlander

^^^ The whole Westwood bus garage is supposed to be handed over to nait after the new NE garage opens on fort road, and this is right behind it. it's far from their big buildings on Princess Elisabeth Ave, but they have programs that need horizontal space too. Remember Tony Caterina's truck-driving welders as a argument against NLRT?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^I find it disapointing when schools or universities expand outside of the downtown / inner city. Sure, NAIT could perhaps build cheap and dirty on greenfield, but not good urban / city planning. Students add vibrancy to the city, and where vibrancy is needed most is in the core. Hopefully will all be consolidated one campus, would be neat to have a downtown or quarters NAIT campus though.
    If there was ever a school that made sense to have remote campus', it is NAIT.

That said, I am glad if the centralize everything. Would it be strange to have an ironworking tower in the middle of the City to learn the trade on (like the at Souch)...or would it be really interesting?

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

NAIT needs to be on a patch of land that they can thoroughly control without worrying about the aesthetics and density fetishists. Many disciplines require training facilities that require buildings that wouldn't satisfy on either standard.

Eve

highlander

I don't know that they couldn't satisfy, although the price would probably be too high.

Precisely. To create an architectural marvel to host some of the industrial faculties would price them out of the business. And those buildings have to be durable.

Not all of the buildings, you understand. But there are large buildings where the requirements are simply capacious and durable.

Eve

Did someone just mis spell south when writing souch and nobody said anything? Souch?
    be offended! figure out why later...

No misspelling. http://www.nait.ca/48524.htm

Souch Campus

7110 Gateway Blvd.
    Edmonton, Alberta T6E 0E6
    Phone: 780.378.1000
    NAIT Waiward Centre for Steel Technologies

Programs Boilermaker
    Ironworker
    Ironworker/Metal Building Systems Erector
    Structural Steel and Plate Fitter
    Welder
    Services
    Eve

highlander

I was curious...
    Wikipedia says:

NAIT’s new Souch Campus opens on Edmonton’s south side. The campus is named in honour of Dr. Stan G. Souch, who served an 18-year term as NAIT’s fourth president

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    Precisely. To create an architectural marvel to host some of the industrial faculties would price them out of the business. And those buildings have to be durable.

Not all of the buildings, you understand. But there are large buildings where the requirements are simply capacious and durable.

Eve
    That is totally BS. Any space can be architecturally pleasing, including a big giant warehouse.

Of course not every thing can be a "marvel", but I'm not sure anyone has ever demanded that, just an effort put in.

You know, the longer I'm here listening to all the kvetching about various buildings, no matter what their purpose or price points, yes, I do think that what I'm saying is not total BS.

Eve

You know, the longer I'm here listening to all the kvetching about various buildings, no matter what their purpose or price points, yes, I do think that what I'm saying is not total BS.

Eve
    Get annoyed if you want, the majority of it is because people care about the City and the City (and it's residents) have a history of under selling it's own value and that certainly shows up in the architecture.
    I view the discussion as a positive force to continually improve things and move them forward.

As a former student at Nait (4 years of apprenticeship and 2 years of full time technology), it is a campus that needs that push and investment. The main portion is a horrible mish mash of roads, parking and buildings on their last life cycle. Forget the far east portion that was torn down (an old grocery store repurposed as classrooms or something).
    Compare that with the two newest buildings, where they weren't built as bare bones structures (though the Spartan center is pretty cold aka modern!) and some landscaping was put in with trees, etc. and it's a much better environment.

Your negativity is no better than anyone else's.

Whatever!

Eve

Whatever!

Eve
    Great discussion! Thank you for discounting my experiences over my 6 years at NAIT!

I have spent way more than 6 years working and studying. I've worked in places that won architectural awards. Generally, their HVAC sucked (including one that won awards because of their "innovative" HVAC) or there were insufficient power outlets to run what was going on inside, or their "creative" roof structures whistled loudly every time the wind blew.

I lived in a city with very proud architecture (Calgary) and noticed that the fanciest architecture was only active during office hours. And the real action was in shabby buildings with no architecture to speak of.

A city is the people and their purposes. It's to provide housing and entertainment and to create stuff. So, yes, I do put purpose above architectural preciousness.

I listen here to people criticizing building for homeless people because it has the wrong colour of siding. No praise because the building fulfils an important purpose.

Frankly, I don't doubt that there are shortcomings on the NAIT campus. There always are when people are trying to get stuff done and financed. And where buildings last for any length of time and hence become the "wrong" architectural choice for today.

I'm not going to apologize for wanting buildings to be fit for their purpose even if that doesn't mean a glass and steel palace. I don't apologize for my "negativity". I happen to enjoy Edmonton because of the diversity of enterprises and standards.

Eve

To speak on Dan's point, I don't think that buildings at NAIT have to be architectural marvels but that old part just looks and feels like going back to high school. That has to be depressing in my opinion.