Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wildrose

I'm sorry but the last comment buts me right off the wildrose. R&D is huge and should be supported by gov't.

Wildrose is nothing more than a protest party that attract the far right.

I'd rather C2E than work!

one thing is a big concern for me about wildrose that they do support the right to bear arms , just like america does. this right to bear arms will increase crimes in canada.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

^ meh.. arms is a federal area... they can be as pro arms as they want... they have no control.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Then per the polls, most Albertans are far right. People will say its just protest, but I guarantee that as more Albertans start hearing more of the type of quotes I copied above (like the $2 billion for big corporations to pump air into the ground), the WildRose will gain in support not lose it. This is tricky for the PC's, how do they reply without offending their base?

I think much of their mandate resonates with fiscal conservatives far more than the fat and bloated PC party. I expect there are some bureaucrats right now and civil servants sitting on bloated empires who have had no oversight for decades who are getting worried, the winds of change are blowing. Even if WildRose does end up disappointing, for example if they don't succeed in transforming our health care into European style two-tier, we still need the clean out / change.
    Last edited by moahunter; 26-06-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Then per the polls, most Albertans are far right. People will say its just protest, but I guarantee that as more Albertans start hearing more of the type of quotes I copied above (like the $2 billion for big corporations to pump air into the ground), the WildRose will gain in support not lose it. This is tricky for the PC's, how do they reply without offending their base?

I think much of their mandate resonates with fiscal conservatives far more than the fat and bloated PC party. I expect there are some bureaucrats right now and civil servants sitting on bloated empires who have had no oversight for decades who are getting worried, the winds of change are blowing. Even if WildRose does end up disappointing, for example if they don't succeed in transforming our health care into European style two-tier, we still need the clean out / change.
    Carbon capture is mostly a scam but that doesn't mean you burn the house down to put out a kitchen fire. Do you honestly think the oil companies would police themselves for environmental problems and do you think they'd act accordingly?

Considering that BP skirted every bit of regulations, Exxon never really paid for the Valdez, and Syncrude was responsiblle for killing those ducks; putting blind faith in the industry is a bad idea.

The polls are only favourable because there's no centrist option.

C2E SME

I think the PC's have reacted to the Wild Rose growth in popularity with things like modifying the oil and gas royalty structure. With the PC party moving slightly to the right and the improvement in the economy, the Wild Rose Alliance will have some success, but not enough to defeat the Tories in the next election. In fact, I think the Liberals might have success in ridings where the PCs and WRA split the vote.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

yesterday at wildrose meeting suggesting policies, they did vote to defeat the motion about right to bear arms because they doesn't want to be labeled as guntoting rednecks.

other thing about developing nuclear power is also defeated , but they support by allowing workers to opted out of unions. examining a provincal police force similar what ontario have.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...461/story.html

^
    That's funny. According to Smith's speech the other day, the PC's were too 'left' for Albertans. Now the have to backpedal again to try and not alienate people.

Default Embracing the Centre

We have how "second", "centre party" (note centre in Alberta is right of where it is elsewhere in Canada as the polls show us):

She also announced “the door is closing” on any Progressive Conservative MLAs looking to cross the floor to Wildrose, insisting the party won’t parachute in anyone once it starts nominating candidates in the fall.

Ms. Smith said members of the Wildrose Alliance have learned the lessons of grassroots movements before it – including the Reform and Canadian Alliance parties – and have generally opted for more moderate, big-tent policies that appeal to a wide swath of Albertans and are necessary to form government.

“That shows a level of sophistication I didn’t actually expect to see this early on. I know that young parties go through growing phases,” Smith told reporters.

“I thought it might take a couple of years for us to be able to develop that kind of maturity,” she added. “You can’t just bulldoze ahead with ideas that don’t have popular support.”
    Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Wil...#ixzz0s63VZJTX

The PC's have gone too far left under Ed, and IMO all the signs are, they are going to pay a heavy price.
    Last edited by moahunter; 27-06-2010 at 04:54 PM.

Ok... The Wildrose went from interesting.. to SUPER annoying and visionless...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...088/story.html

PS Daniel... kill the US Republican Conservative Pearl thing... it's so meh.

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 10-02-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Of course they'll put the new Royal Alberta Museum on hold, they seem to hate Edmonton.

C2E SME

I would like to see the assumptions that the Wildrose makes with the natural gas, oil and exchange rate (Assumptions: $99/barrel crude, $3.00/GJ natural gas, $1Cdn=$0.986US). I could see the dollar being lower than par if the U. S. economy takes the next step in recovery (it's hovered below par since September). West Texas Intermediate Crude has rebounded to $99.05, while Brent Crude was $117/barrel. The CIBC price forecast for natural gas in 2012 is $3.25/GJ.

Wildrose stinks. Redford is a cretin. Raj may be slightly insane.

Seriously, I don't know who to vote for. I want to see PC ousted, even if only to show them they aren't invincible. But geez, what a sorry lot.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Of course they'll put the new Royal Alberta Museum on hold, they seem to hate Edmonton.
    That's why if Smith and Wildrose win a majority, I would seriously consider moving away from Alberta.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Wildrose is hard to trust and their platform is not clear, Tories did good job with economy but same old government since 1971. for Liberals, they have tried for years to unseat Tories but always fail each time. NDP, I cannot trust because they still secretly supporting union.

The Wildrose makes it hard for me to not vote PC, out of fear of what would happen if they somehow managed to get elected.

C2E SME

Wildrose playing politics with numbers:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Wildr...014/story.html

Partially Addicted to C2E

Out of the main parties (PC/Lib/NDP/WR) I honestly think Danielle Smith would be the biggest train wreck and the worst for the province. I will admit, backing off of the social issues was smart for the WR party, but I seriously fear what they might do if they were to win power.
    The best I can hope for is causing the right to split in some ridings letting more Liberals/NDP into power.
    (Just to be clear, I realize the provincial NDP/Liberals are a massive joke, but it would be nice to see a leftie challenge to the Conservatives.)
    edmonton - madrid - edmonton
    @BrettSMcKenna

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^I'd like to see that too. I do not support a party being in power for more than 40 years. We could use some new, fresh ideas. But I do like Redford (more so than Stelmach and Klein) and I think she would be a strong, smart leader.

My ideal situation would be a minority PC government with the Liberals or NDP as a strong opposition, ensuring some compromise in policy that Alberta hasn't seen before. I would like to see the Wildrose morph into a Libertarian-esque party, as opposed to their current rural vs. urban divisive platform. If they can exist as a 3rd or 4th opposition party (sans MLA Guy Boutilier), I'm fine with that. But the rhetoric they are spewing doesn't give me much hope that they'll bring some new, creative ideas to the table. As for the Alberta Party... well aren't they just adorable!!!
    We would share and listen and support and welcome, be propelled by passion not invest in outcomes. We would breathe and be charmed and amused by difference. -Alanis Morissette

Quote Originally Posted by CalanTheHobbs View Post
    ^I'd like to see that too. I do not support a party being in power for more than 40 years. We could use some new, fresh ideas. But I do like Redford (more so than Stelmach and Klein) and I think she would be a strong, smart leader.
    That's sort of my view. I want a change / don't think its healthy for one party to be in power for so long. Realistically though, a left wing party can never win in Alberta today, this is a fiscally conservative province, most people aren't going to vote for increased taxes, especially not when incomes are so high here.

The WildRose is the only alternative that could gain power one day, I too hope they morph into something a bit more appealing to more people. Danielle was IMO a step in the right direction (away from the soical conservative / farming stuff), but the decisions / ill guided interference on Edmonton issues like the Muni are disapointing, and the RAM stuff is just mean.
    Last edited by moahunter; 13-02-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Danielle Smith trying to seduce E-town again, it seems

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...339/story.html

Despite being a Calgarian, Smith said she is proud of Edmonton, specifically mentioning the Fringe Festival, the University of Alberta, Heritage Days and Grant MacEwan University. She even grudgingly gave respect to the “young guns” of the Edmonton Oilers.
    Hopefully she'll be just as proud of the new infill development that will replace her beloved City Centre Airport!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

So Danielle Smith will still support Allan Hunspergers candid post on his blog from June 11 2011 in regards to gays can "choose not to live the way they were born"

Does this mean that he thinks that any Canadians who were born Black, Asian, Hispanic, Physically or Mentally Handicapped, or whatever else that humans who are brought into this word as. Can "choose how they are or act differently due to how they were born?"

I knew I was attracted to boys when I was in GRADE 1 (6 years old) it's not something I decided or checked off on a list before I was born making that "a choice" Its how the humans are!

As Lady Gaga since we were all born that way.

Our huge pool of genetic diversity on a planet of 7 Billion unique and different people is NORMAL.

I certainly hope that this bigoted nutbag wakes up and realizes that it is the year 2012 in one of the most socially advanced nations on the planet and that his opinions are out of step with the vast majority of Canadians in opinion and totally opposite what is in our Constitutional Rights.

If he wants to have voter support for this, May I suggest he learn to play the Banjo and move to some backwater American State and try running for office there since due to their politics and behind the times social issues he would probably be far more accepted and supported for posting out of date comments like that.

Perhaps someplace like Mississippi, Alabama or rural Texas would be a better location to run for a public office and "preach attitudes" like that.

Rather than trying to get into office by running in a riding in one of Canada's most diverse, artistic, and socially advanced cities like Edmonton.

GOD has a plan alright and it is to let people like Allan Hunsperger or Danielle Smith to get voted in.

This is the 21st Century perhaps she needs to be subjected to time travel back to an era where just being a female she would be denied rights to vote, Forced to submit to having to act accordingly to "traditional values" and be unable to speak her mind and live the way she would want as a human being.

Rear of cart, meet front of horse:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-policies.html

The Wildrose Party may reconsider some of the more controversial policies that didn't seem to resonate with Alberta voters, Leader Danielle Smith said on Tuesday, one day after her party won 17 of 87 seats in the provincial election.

Despite trailing in the polls throughout the election, the Progressive Conservatives under leader Alison Redford won 61 seats, propelling the party to its 12th consecutive majority government. The Wildrose will now become the Official Opposition.

"The fact of the matter is there are certain policies that clearly Albertans didn't want to see implemented," Smith told CBC Calgary news anchor Nirmala Naidoo. "I have to take that under advisement and I think our members will too."

Smith admits that issues like conscience rights, her questions about climate change and the Alberta firewall may have given undecided voters "some pause" as they made up their minds in the final days of the campaign. She said the party will likely have some serious discussions about these policies during the annual general meeting this fall.

For some voters, choosing a party with only four MLAs and a leader with no experience in the legislature may have been too risky, Smith suggested.

Its clear now.. Danielle is simply after power and is not a policy wonk...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Given Smiths rethink on WR policies today a few things that happened during the campaign strike me as odd.

1)During the debate her screwup that consultining WR member's on issues was the "same thing" as consulting Albertans.

2) Her response, "somebody call the police then" to the criticisms and accusation of hate voiced by Hunsperger.

3) Her inaction on properly addressing concerns about WR representatives statements and attempts to dismiss the comments or downplay the significance while critiquing Redfords decision making on an ongoing basis. Danielle Smith was presented with one crucial issue that needed immediate resolving during the campaign and she failed miserably to resolve it. Its quite clear she made it worse with her attempts to pander and defend.

4) During the Edmonton debate Smith was roundly booed several times for her stance on Climate change and Science. She didn't care, didn't flinch, and was unwavering in her stated opinion. She remained steadfast in her position assuming she had it all right, science, or public consensus be damned.

Now post election, after voter preference has clearly been voiced Smith is suddenly looking at what voters constituents were saying all along. Why wasn't she listening before?

This strikes me as a leader that would be responsible to the people of Alberta about once every 4yrs and that would cater to WR agenda the rest of the time.

As an Albertan I was offended when Smith was brushing off concerns about her candidates. Concerns that were being voiced by many. I'm more offended now that only the actual vote gets her attention.

As stated above only power matters to this person. At the time she thought she had it, and thought she was a shoe in to win the election she was far less willing to listen. Ugly. Just ugly.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-04-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Since she was not supported by urban voters in any larger city in the province besides Medicine Hat she totally missed the fact that most Albertans do not think they "live" in the early 1900's or want too along with her homophobic, ethnic "superior" type, firewall candidates representing them.

Also it's time to get Redford to change the provincial slogan licence plates on our cars since "Wild Rose Country" has been totally sullied by Smith and her Mississippi, Alabama attitudes.

It's time we change to the proposed "Strong and Free!" here we come!

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    Since she was not supported by urban voters in any larger city in the province besides Medicine Hat she totally missed the fact that most Albertans do not think they "live" in the early 1900's or want too along with her homophobic, ethnic "superior" type, firewall candidates representing them.

Also it's time to get Redford to change the provincial slogan licence plates on our cars since "Wild Rose Country" has been totally sullied by Smith and her Mississippi, Alabama attitudes.

You're not the only one that feels a little put off by that extremist party adopting the "wild rose" name. I felt like whiting that name out on my licence plate. Wouldn't want to give the wrong impression.

I made the comment as well that Medicine Hat is the only city in all of Alberta to elect Wildrose. (well Calgary did as a couple of them snuck through but..) Doesn't leave a very good impression on perspectives in Medicine Hat.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

You're not the only one that feels a little put off by that extremist party adopting the "wild rose" name. I felt like whiting that name out on my licence plate. Wouldn't want to give the wrong impression.

I made the comment as well that Medicine Hat is the only city in all of Alberta to elect Wildrose. (well Calgary did as a couple of them snuck through but..) Doesn't leave a very good impression on perspectives in Medicine Hat.
    I do not hold it against the citizens of "The Hat" as they will probably be pulling it over their eyes as the rest of the province looks at them perhaps as being a tad out of date in regards to certain issues..

Its politics. never jump on a bandwagon unless you know what the ride is actually going to be. I thought Calgarians were really going to support Wildrose and was quite suprised that they did not engulf them the way I thought they would.

Most Albertans realized that if you want to be a "Global" destination you need a Global attitude. Homophobic, Ethnic, and Enviromental issues are global. thats what makes Canada such a beacon compared to the vast bulk of this planet we live in the 21st Century not the 1800's

WRP wanted to step back into the time machine far too many ways.

This is not "Back to the Future" it is the present........

Perhaps we should all start emailing Redford in regards to changing the plates after all because they now make me ill!

Now post election, after voter preference has clearly been voiced Smith is suddenly looking at what voters constituents were saying all along. Why wasn't she listening before?
    She couldn't just turn her back on the parties policy book on issues like global warming or conscience rights, and pretend they didn't exist, or change the policies on the fly. WR is a young party, it will need to moderate some of its rough edges, and present a more moderate social vision, if it plans to take power next time.

While disapointing for WR support to collapse in the last week, this is still objectivley a big victory - the left wing wasn't able to gain anywhere near this many seats (NDP and Liberals). WR are the official opposition now, and have a chance to present MLA's with more experience at the next election. They say it took Loughead a couple of elections to get it right, it will be interesting to see if WR can do the same.
    Last edited by moahunter; 25-04-2012 at 10:55 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Yeah, the question is whether the Wildrose is a long-term growing cancer in Alberta politics, or if they're a permanently marginalizable outlet for movement conservatives/"Calgary School" types who effectively make the PCs better through "addition by subtraction".

It should be a fascinating dance to watch in the years ahead.

I think if Redford's government can manage to get a small surplus in the 2 years leading up to next election, Wildrose will have a far tougher time getting support next election.

She couldn't just turn her back on the parties policy book on issues like global warming or conscience rights, and pretend they didn't exist, or change the policies on the fly. WR is a young party, it will need to moderate some of its rough edges, and present a more moderate social vision, if it plans to take power next time.

While disapointing for WR support to collapse in the last week, this is still objectivley a big victory - the left wing wasn't able to gain anywhere near this many seats (NDP and Liberals). WR are the official opposition now, and have a chance to present MLA's with more experience at the next election. They say it took Loughead a couple of elections to get it right, it will be interesting to see if WR can do the same.
    Pretty sure the path to the future isn't paved with "The Hat" and Didsbury and Fort Macleod type thinking.

Maybe future of Alabama.

I'm more than happy to live in a city thats at least a 100 miles from any place that elected WR.

Should be interesting to see how an intolerant, insular, judgemental party "moderates" their rough edges.

More like just better looking sheep clothing next time round and hope to fool people round 2.

Nenshi raises a concern: Will the PCs govern like the party they should be, or govern like the party they used to be in order to woo back all those Socred-style rural Southern Alberta constituencies that went Wildrose?

Now, though, Nenshi has a special concern. He's worried the city will be ignored as the PCs focus on winning back local Wildrose ridings.

"The result of the election is absolutely a shift toward a more urban PC party," he says, "but will they realize it and start acting that way?"
    [...]

Redford will surely agree that recapturing Wildrose seats is a PC priority over the next term.

If that means over-coddling rural ridings that hem Calgary, there could be big trouble with city hall.
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...520/story.html

They say it took Loughead a couple of elections to get it right, it will be interesting to see if WR can do the same.
    The main difference though is that Lougheed's PCs were seen as the centrist and urban alternative to the right-wing rural Socreds at a time when both Edmonton and Calgary were rapidly growing to 1/2 million people each.

Be interesting to see how the WR shadow cabinet performs.

Yep, I have suspicions - but they deserve a chance to prove me right or wrong.

Nenshi is upset that outlying jursidictions refuse to come to the table to develop a master plan. Funny that Stelmach forced the many metro Edmonton communities to finally cooperate on regional planning but didn't wield the stick in Calgary.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Nenshi raises a concern: Will the PCs govern like the party they should be, or govern like the party they used to be in order to woo back all those Socred-style rural Southern Alberta constituencies that went Wildrose?

Now, though, Nenshi has a special concern. He's worried the city will be ignored as the PCs focus on winning back local Wildrose ridings.

"The result of the election is absolutely a shift toward a more urban PC party," he says, "but will they realize it and start acting that way?"
    [...]

Redford will surely agree that recapturing Wildrose seats is a PC priority over the next term.

If that means over-coddling rural ridings that hem Calgary, there could be big trouble with city hall.
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...520/story.html
    I think the PC just have to worry about the support they have. Even if they lost 10 seats next election they still have a majority..

They don't need every seat in the province and we all should want a health opposition.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 25-04-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Agreed -- I'm personally happy to let those Southern rural conservative districts be represented by a party that better suits their ideological preferences. Redford should just cut bait, but it'll be interesting to see if her party and caucus will make attempts to reabsorb those interests into the PC coalition.

^ I doubt she will.. she knows that she has to remain more center.

If the libs didn't run on a campaign of increasing taxes I would say that they should absorb the libs.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Yeah, the question is whether the Wildrose is a long-term growing cancer in Alberta politics, or if they're a permanently marginalizable outlet for movement conservatives/"Calgary School" types who effectively make the PCs better through "addition by subtraction".

It should be a fascinating dance to watch in the years ahead.
    It's up to Ms. Redford and her party. Hopefully they will embrace the centrist voters that came over from the Liberals and NDP and let the right wing nuts go. If they can do that and avoid any major screw-ups the Wildrose party will stay what they are now - a home for right wing extremists that is only electable in the rural south.

I think if Redford's government can manage to get a small surplus in the 2 years leading up to next election, Wildrose will have a far tougher time getting support next election.
    Perhaps, they need to stop the scandals / taking being in government for granted as well. It will be interesting to see what the MLA pay review finds, and what the PC's decide to do after that (especially if it recommends an increase in pay).

C2E SME

For many years, it seemed that the provincial Tories could get away with anything. Ralph Klein could have an outburst at a homeless shelter, endless incidents of pork-barreling to the favorites, the fear that Steve West cast over the public service. These were endless incidents of bullying where cities and regions were divided.

When Ed Stelmach became premier, his reform of royalties gave rise to the Wildrose. I think the media was largely responsible for driving Stelmach out, but the past two leadership conventions and Monday's election proved that the voice of the people was stronger than the voice of the media. For years (even decades), Alberta Report, the Sun Media and other right-wing publications wrote their stories, and it seemed that the PCs would defer to the loudest voice.

In many ways, I am glad to see the Wildrose relegated to a regional party, even if they are the official opposition. Their voice has largely been silenced in the cities.

^ his rise of the royalties... It was the rise in royalties that the public asked for! it was OUR increase OUR!!

The term "bozo eruption" may well go down as the most memorable thing to come out of this election.

I don;t know.. burning lake of fire, bus tits and her ability to magically make science questionable are strong contenders as well

don't forget the caucasian advantage...

The term "bozo eruption" may well go down as the most memorable thing to come out of this election.
    Yes, and the ironic thing is, it was Smith herself who put that phrase into play, by bragging about how there weren't going to be any such eruptions, mere hours before the first one hit the news.

Plus, the phrase got linked with the $1000 deposits, even though I don't think those were intended to silence nominated candidates like Hunsperger and Leech, but rather those who failed to win nominations, lest they start bad-mouthing the party afterwards.

But you ended up with a lot of people going "See, Smith admits that the only reason her candidates aren't saying stupid stuff is because she's got a gag order on them".

PC got to beware of wildrose in 2016 because once Danielle Smith have gained experience in legislative assembly , wildrose will have a good chance to win maybe minority government ??

Sounds like another one here:
    http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

How to further p*ss off the people of urban centres.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post

Yeah, I watched him on CTVNews about a 1/2 hout ago. Obviously he needs to sit on his front porch and just play his banjo if he thinks "City Folk" lack common sense. So what are his thoughts on all the northern rural ridings (except one in the N.E) of Alberta who voted for the PC instead of the WR Hillbilly party. Are all the rural voters in the rest of the province lacking common sense too?

He makes Jed, Granny, Jethro and Ellie-May Clampett look far more sophisticated and worldly then himself here in 2012. And that "progressive TV family" still lived in the "modern" era of the 1960's......

Obviously he still watches reruns of Gunsmoke, or All in the Family thinking they are progressive shows.....All in the Family was progresssive way back in the 1970's

He needs to leave Timewarp, Southern Alberta and hit either Calgary or Edmonton to see what life in the 21st Century is like. But he probably cannot find a place to park his horse and buggy.

Danielle Smith really has attracted the "winners" the WRP. Maybe that is why they chose that name since its initials WRP can be used to hide the word "timeWaRP"

"I think that these social issues that came up during the last week and the PCs ability to exploit them, caused some concern in the voters within urban areas, at least, because they didn't really understand the issues, they didn't really understand that there was an aspect of free speech, " said the Cardston-Taber-Warner MLA-Elect.

UNQUOTE

Nice try with the free-speech red herring. Nobody was denying free speech. Hunsperger and Leech were free to say what they wanted. And the electorate was equally free to decide that's not what they wanted to vote for.

And I wonder how the King Of Cardston would have liked it if Hunsperger had said that Mormons were gonna burn in hell?

People are entitled in regards to free speach. And that is why Leech and Hunsperger were wiped off the map in their ridings because the majority of voters did not agree. But to have another "bitter loser" continue the debate on the results is just typical. Sure they lost but they became the official opposition in the Legislature. At least Smith will do what she and the WRP feel they need to do in regards to being the opposition.

He was just spouting about how urban voters were stupid on tonights news by not supporting "them"That is a way too American type attitude in a Canadian election.

My family is descended from Americans on my moms side ( I have 2 distant dead ancestors that have signed the Declaration of Independence, John Adams and John Quincy Adams) And the way Canada is in regards to political attitudes is decades ahead of the great Republic to the south.

If they want to spout off in regards to attitudes, intelligence or what ever in regards to what voters want (obviously not them) there is a whole wack of States between the Rockies and the Eastern Seaboard they would probably fit right into.

My brother is a "born again Christian" and as he ages he dropped the "I" will burn in a lake of fire" aspect of who I am years ago. He is more concerned about his life, mortgages, vacations and raising my niece and nephew etc etc etc just like any other "normal" people on the planet.
    Rather than trying to convert them to The Holy Grail. LOL.

WRP lost and they need to deal with it instead of insulting voters who are allowed to vote for who they want to agree with and the majority obviously did not agree with them....LOL.
    Last edited by NielCole; 25-04-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    PC got to beware of wildrose in 2016 because once Danielle Smith have gained experience in legislative assembly , wildrose will have a good chance to win maybe minority government ??
    At this point, I would bet money against that scenario. Wildrose is now locked into one particularly conservative region of the province, and will have a very hard time shedding the baggage that repelled so many voters elsewhere.

The only way I could see Wildrose possibly making a comeback is if the Tories get an even worse rap for corruption and authoritarianism than they had this time around. Maybe if they order all farmers to surrender their land to the power companies immediately, and vote to repay themselves all the money, with interest, from the no-meet commitees, Wildrose could make some hay with that.

Even then, Wildrose would probably need to elect a Muslim drag-queen as leader in order to convince liberal voters that they are no longer the party of Hunsperger and Leech.
    Last edited by overoceans; 25-04-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Perhaps the Wildrose Party will start showing "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" at their rallies to gain support... It was on the Victoria station last night on Satillite......It should show them that even rural Australia in 1994 is still way ahead of them!

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post

OMG.

Thats priceless.

I'm actually overjoyed with this statement from this elected official because he's one of the bozo's that actually got elected.

I think a whole bunch or urban dwellers should go to the leg and heckle aholes like this. Being that were from the city and all and don't understand the issues good enough out here in the hicks..

WR, never stops being great comedy. The gift that keeps on giving..
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-04-2012 at 08:10 PM.

^ Yep, I'm just waiting for other yaps to pipe up with similar gems.

They might as well rename themselves the Kamikaze Party while they've got their 15 minutes.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Next thing is they will try to rename Alberta to Appalachia. Anybody know how to retune a banjo?

I saw that CTV story, and I loved Danielle's lame attempts at saying "no comment" to Gary Bickman's comments.

Actually, the link has quoted a bit of it:

Wildrose Leader Danielle Smith was not willing to address the issue on Wednesday and said she could not comment on a question that was not sent to her before the interview.

"I think if you want me to comment on something, you have to share it before hand. I don't know the context of the statement so I'm going to have to look at the context of the statement," said Smith.
    Good God, woman...and you want to be the leader of our province???

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I saw that CTV story, and I loved Danielle's lame attempts at saying "no comment" to Gary Bickman's comments.

Wildrose Leader Danielle Smith was not willing to address the issue on Wednesday and said she could not comment on a question that was not sent to her before the interview.

"I think if you want me to comment on something, you have to share it before hand. I don't know the context of the statement so I'm going to have to look at the context of the statement," said Smith.
    At least she was recycling all the campaign posters in her riding. That is the only thing she is "clued into" at the moment...LOL.

Does she do all her "grunt work" in a skirt all the time? Even my mom mentioned it seems a tad odd that its always a skirt and heels no matter where she is or what she is doing. Must be tricky to mow the lawn in heels.

Especially the bolded part. Not at all being a controlling nag she wants to reinvent protocal. Maybe the press should be informing her of soft lobbed questions as well.
    Oh wait, they are, and her and her classmates still screw up the questions.

Maybe just starting reading scripted cue cards..

So far the cue cards she seems to be reading are stating.

Smile,

Look pretty,

Say someting inept.

C2E Posting Power

Wow indeed. Did we ever bite the bullet not electing these morons to be our government......We would be the laughing stock of the country...

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeman View Post
    Wow indeed. Did we ever bite the bullet not electing these morons to be our government......We would be the laughing stock of the country...
    Had that happened all the "firewalls" would have been put up by BC, Saskatchewan, NWT, and probably even Montana to keep us locked in.

I saw the CTV story and the quote doesn't do it justice. She did not handle that question with even a modicum of poise. She looked extremely flustered and defensive. I can't believe we were however close the pollsters claimed we were to electing her as our leader.

EDIT: The link has a video of the story in it. Definitely worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post

"I think that these social issues that came up during the last week and the PCs ability to exploit them, caused some concern in the voters within urban areas, at least, because they didn't really understand the issues, they didn't really understand that there was an aspect of free speech, " said the Cardston-Taber-Warner MLA-Elect.

UNQUOTE

Nice try with the free-speech red herring. Nobody was denying free speech. Hunsperger and Leech were free to say what they wanted. And the electorate was equally free to decide that's not what they wanted to vote for.

And I wonder how the King Of Cardston would have liked it if Hunsperger had said that Mormons were gonna burn in hell?

Simply put, in my case with the Wildrose, I was gonna vote for them but on election day realized just how right wing they are and how much the right love to bust unions. So **** that.

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post

I saw the CTV story and the quote doesn't do it justice. She did not handle that question with even a modicum of poise. She looked extremely flustered and defensive. I can't believe we were however close the pollsters claimed we were to electing her as our leader.

EDIT: The link has a video of the story in it. Definitely worth watching.
    Oh yeah she was NOT a happy camper in the newsclip. She is under fire yet again for some of her candidates odd, cynical, moralistic, anti-everything views and she is already on the defense 24/7 and has not even made it up to Edmonton.

She obviously needs to meet with these political dinos and tell them to shut the f up until they actually appear in the Legislature. As Bickman is now the lastest embarrasement for her in his ignorant attitude about urban voters.

This will be a very interesting 4 years if this continues. If so the NDP will be the next opposition as the WR is doomed to be cast out as a bunch of backward, redneck, rural bigots who have no idea how to live in the 21st Century.

I can understand Smith's refusal to reply to the question about Bickman's remarks during the course of the interview. I think any politician would want time to examine such remarks before making a comment about them, especially when the person you'd be criticizing is one of your own MLAs.

^ A simple "no comment" would have sufficed instead of tearing the reporter a new hole.

C2E SME

One thing said earlier, I will agree that the oil royalties belong to Albertans, even if it doesn't make the oil companies and Wildrose happy.

Looking at Danielle now, I think she's lucky to win the seats she did on Monday night. Her reputation and that of the Wildrose are known to the public.

C2E SME

I think the Wildrose found out on Monday night is that many Albertans don't have time to pick fights. Quebec has tried this for about 35-40 years, and it has failed miserably. Alberta has prospered because it has worked hard.

according to reports that support Quebec independence from canada is at low about 30%. proves that many quebecers is sick and tired of this talk since 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    One thing said earlier, I will agree that the oil royalties belong to Albertans, even if it doesn't make the oil companies and Wildrose happy.

Looking at Danielle now, I think she's lucky to win the seats she did on Monday night. Her reputation and that of the Wildrose are known to the public.

I heard many alaskans does get oil royalites much more than we did got one time $ 400 in 2005.

take a look at the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Permanent_Fund

^ A simple "no comment" would have sufficed instead of tearing the reporter a new hole.
    Mileages vary, I guess. I didn't really think she was "tearing the reporter a new hole". At most, she was a bit testy with him, by way of uttering what amounted to a "no comment".

If he did in fact show her the interview on his cell phone, I suppose she could have commented. There didn't seem to be much in the way of context to change the meaning of his words.

I'm surprised noone other than CTV has reported this. Maybe Wildrose is yesterday's news already.

Though she was positive and exuberant in her speach on Monday night in regards to only winning 17 seats and becoming the official opposition in the legislature. Smith is obviously on her way to being a rather hard*ss if she get asked about things she is (perhaps) unaware off.

Her tone and body movement in the story says alot. She is obviously frustrated over the lack of support shown by the vast majority of the provinces voters and to have another member of the WR start up another verbal embarrassment set her on edge.

The same clip was shown on the CTVCalgary station exactly in the same way. And that "was supposed" to be her stronghold of electoral support.

Looks like she is in for a very long 4 years if members the WR don't reign in their odd "we are better than you because we are rural, straight and caucasion" comments. Shame Bickmann won because already he is embarrasing Smith, his constituents and the province. Sounds like he would rather be a politician in certian places on the globe where politicans rule with an iron fist.

Though she was positive and exuberant in her speach on Monday night in regards to only winning 17 seats and becoming the official opposition in the legislature. Smith is obviously on her way to being a rather hard*ss if she get asked about things she is (perhaps) unaware off.

Her tone and body movement in the story says alot. She is obviously frustrated over the lack of support shown by the vast majority of the provinces voters and to have another member of the WR start up another verbal embarrassment set her on edge.

The same clip was shown on the CTVCalgary station exactly in the same way. And that "was supposed" to be her stronghold of electoral support.

Looks like she is in for a very long 4 years if members the WR don't reign in their odd "we are better than you because we are rural, straight and caucasion" comments. Shame Bickmann won because already he is embarrasing Smith, his constituents and the province. Sounds like he would rather be a politician in certian places on the globe where politicans rule with an iron fist.
    I'm thinking that Bickman must really hold Smith in contempt, to put her on the spot by uttering the very same sorta comments that, according to the emerging consensus, cost Wildrose the election.

Either that, or he's all-mouth-no-brain, and thought he was really making a helpful contribution to the party's rebuilding. But watching the video, he doesn't strike me as a complete *****.

He will qualify as "All mouth no brain" by labeling urban voters as "not understanding certain issues" Bickmann basically comes across as if you did not vote for us you are stupid. Voters in Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge, Red Deer, Grande Prairie, and Fort McMurray placed their votes on people who are far better at coming across as "moderates" So they got the votes even if alot of voters did not want another PC Dynasty. We had no choice, I know I voted strategically to prevent it.

If he is saying that "we" do not understand issues, he does not understand what "democracy" or "issues" in the 21st Century are. Smith had better just keep him as a backbencher on the opposition side or she will have to deal with even more idiocy foaming out of his mug.

I'm sure even the very conservative residents of Cardston-Taber-Warner do not want to be embarrassed by being represented yet another "Better than you MLA" because i'm "rural" wingnut.

This guy will need a very tight leash.
    Last edited by NielCole; 26-04-2012 at 10:53 AM.

This guy will need a very tight leash.
    This has got me wondering what the rest of the Wildrose caucus is going to be like. Is it all a bunch of disgruntled middle-aged guys with a rhetorical style similar to Bickman? Could be a fun four years.

WRP (at least Smith and Bickman) also shows a complete lack of understanding of the whole Leech and Hunsberger situation. It's not that anyone was challenging their freedom of speech, it was voters exercising their freedom to vote for non-bigots. I like how Bickman defends them by saying,
    "Noone was attacking anyone else, they were stating things that were obvious."

While Smith may not be a middle-age male doofus she obviously is going to be surrounded by them. She better riegn them in or the NDP will be replacing her in 2016. Alberta may be "Conservative" with a smaller "c" but this is not a province of totally homophobic, racist, farmers who want to run the place as if it was 1912.

I makes me wonder what the other 15 WR winners are like in their attitude.

WRP (at least Smith and Bickman) also shows a complete lack of understanding of the whole Leech and Hunsberger situation. It's not that anyone was challenging their freedom of speech, it was voters exercising their freedom to vote for non-bigots. I like how Bickman defends them by saying,
    Yeah, the lake of fire. Totally obvious. That's right up there with two and two equals four.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Yeah, the lake of fire. Totally obvious. That's right up there with two and two equals four.
    I agree,

Obviously WR is incapable of "doing the math" Albertans voted back 61, 4 NDP, and 3 Liberals PC's Leaving only 19 for the Wildrose.

To them people who do not tolerate candidates like the WR are "stupid, inexperienced" voters.....

Danielle "You Can Just Call Me, Martha" Smith is going to be busier than a New York City dog walker for the next 4 years
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

I can't wait for a Wildrose MLA to introduce a private member's bill in the Legislature.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    I can't wait for a Wildrose MLA to introduce a private member's bill in the Legislature.

what bill is that ??

The man behind Hunspergergate...a PC guy who spread the link on twitter. Oh, and he gives good reasons for posting it anonymously!

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...an-hunsperger/

HAH! I could just imagine what that could be,

No short pants on anybody
    No ROCK,Dance, Pop music
    No Long Hair
    No Tattoos
    No Dirty "Words" ie Gay, Multi-Cultural, Same-Sex rights, Freedom
    No ignoring the WR anymore.
    No "young people" (ie anybody under 70) voicing their freedoms of opinion.
    No thinking it is the 21st Century in the land called Alberta.
    Curfew at 8 pm for everybody on a work or school night unless you are at Bible camp (will be extended to 9pm for prayers)

The man behind Hunspergergate...a PC guy who spread the link on twitter. Oh, and he gives good reasons for posting it anonymously!

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...an-hunsperger/
    WOW obviously "The elders" such as Leech, Hunsperger and Bickman have no concept of how what they say, post or think (if posted) will come back and bite them on the *** in politics today.

wildrose MLA should tell every MLA in legislative as saying Wildrose be disbanded for good lol

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post

wildrose MLA should tell every MLA in legislative as saying Wildrose be disbanded for good lol
    The only way that would happen if all the WR bigots were the official opposition in "The Eternal lake of fire" instead of the Legislature.

But i'm sure they will be treated as such anyways....LOL.

Paul Hinman who is very first leader of Wildrose party says .....I didn’t have to pay anything back. I never received any money for the no-pay committee ... after going back through 30 paystubs and looking at every one of them, (I saw) I always sat on four-to-six committees ... I was very lucky and prayers were answered and I didn’t owe anything,” he said.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/04/25/i-dont-owe-hinman

Someone needs to sit down with Bickman and find out what the issues are that city folks don't understand. That should provide us with a few more laughs.

"They don't understand that conscience rights aren't supposed to apply to them, just those gays and whores, not us fine, upstandin' white folk."

C2E SME

Looking back to the 1970s and 1980s, it looked like many of the Socreds joined the ranks of the PCs, and their influence eventually moved the party to the right. The Wildrose grew as the PC party moved towards the centre.

For now, I think the Wildrose will stay the course, but if they falter, this may happen again.

^ If you look at the origins of the Wildrose, they formed from a coalition of fringe right-wing parties, including the Socreds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_Alliance_Party
    The Alberta Alliance was a right wing provincial political party in Alberta, Canada. Many of its members were former supporters of the now-defunct Canadian Alliance federal political party and its predecessor, the Reform Party of Canada. Members also joined from such other provincial fringe parties as the Alberta First Party, the Alberta Party and Social Credit. Alliance supporters tended to view themselves as "true conservatives", and believed the Progressive Conservative government of Premier Ed Stelmach to be out of touch with the needs of Albertans.
    Paul Hinman was elected the party's leader at a leadership convention held on November 19, 2005.
    On January 19, 2008, the party voted to change its name to the Wildrose Alliance Party when it absorbed the unregistered Wildrose Party of Alberta.

While Smith may not be a middle-age male doofus she obviously is going to be surrounded by them. She better riegn them in or the NDP will be replacing her in 2016. Alberta may be "Conservative" with a smaller "c" but this is not a province of totally homophobic, racist, farmers who want to run the place as if it was 1912.

reigning them in would go against fundamental party values... so yes Danielle reign them in so we can call you a hypocrite

reigning them in would go against fundamental party values... so yes Danielle reign them in so we can call you a hypocrite
    Good reply!!!! LOL.

I'm surprised noone other than CTV has reported this. Maybe Wildrose is yesterday's news already.
    Now the Journal has the story, several days later:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...514/story.html

Future Wild Rose slogans.

Wildrose... Come join us in our flat earth party!

Wildrose.. vote for use or burn in a lake of fire alongside the other heathens

Wildrose... We aren't your fathers political party... we are your great great granddaddys!

I think they need to fire Danielle.

The Wildrose will not fire Danielle
    (since none of them will look good with rubber tire boobs on the next campaign bus, Unless in 2016 a old codger "stick shift" mistake appears)

Wildrose is so far back in time they haven't even invented fire anyways......
    They are too busy still swinging from the tree's screaming ooh ooh ooh ooh...

Wildrose - You don't understand what we're trying to say and it's your fault for listening to what we actually say instead of what we mean.

Hmmm, kind of hard to fit that slogan on a bumper sticker.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast