Thread: Figure Skating is not a sport, its an "art recital!"

C2E Continued Contributor

Thumbs down Figure Skating is not a sport, its an "art recital!"

Here's even more validation that figure skating is a joke. Former world champ Elvis Stojiko says it's become an "art recital."

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/...yhoo&type=lgns

Elvis Stojiko, one of the few straight men's figure skating champs called last night's judging a joke. He says it now an "art recital" now that the judges are placing more emphasis on the artistic instead of awarding points on the jumps.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/...yhoo&type=lgns

Yesterday's men's figure skating was a perfect example of why figure skating is a POPULARITY contest, and not necessarily a sport. The Russian nailed a QUAD and came in SECOND. The American didn't even attempt a Quad and won on "artistic" merit. This is the first time since the 1994 Olympics that the men's gold medal winner did not attempt a Quad. WTF??? The other night the Russian skater stated bluntly, men's figure skating is all about the Quad. So where's the consistency? That's why figure skating cannot be a true sport because there's too much subjectivity.

There is too much subjectivity and too much emphasis on crap like "artistic merit!" Sure, you have subjectivity in football, hockey, etc. But the difference they use video replay to get it right. Its not up to some judge that marks according to how he feels that particular day!

In Guantanamo (Banned)

...I'm guessing this is yet another event that Canada wont be "Owning the Podium" in then?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    The Russian nailed a QUAD and came in SECOND. The American didn't even attempt a Quad and won on "artistic" merit. This is the first time since the 1994 Olympics that the men's gold medal winner did not attempt a Quad. WTF??? The other night the Russian skater stated bluntly, men's figure skating is all about the Quad. So where's the consistency? That's why figure skating cannot be a true sport because there's too much subjectivity.
    He didn't 'nail' it. Landed, yes. Nail, no.

I don't see how the judging system can be viewed as less of a joke than the subjective nightmare it used to be.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Being hetrosexual or gay does not make you masculine or feminine, there are both types of men in both groups.

I think the shift in rules was to open the sport up to men who don't have the strength to do the more masculine jumps. I don't like it, and I appreciate Elvis speaking up (regardless of whatever his sexual orientation is).

The Russian wasn't robbed because he knew the rules, but the people who changed the rules have lost an audience, which is sad given the recent good publicity with the hockey players.
    Last edited by moahunter; 20-02-2010 at 08:25 AM.

I can appreciate the difficulty of the Quad, but it shouldn't be the only criteria for winning Gold. If a skater does Quad's all day it doesn't mean he should win, there is other criteria for figure skating that play in effect as well.

In football, a touchdown is a touchdown, its worth 6 points regardless of "artistic merit!"

There should be more quantifiable standards in figure skating, not based on some guys emotions!
    The other criteria is not criteria, its subjective artistic merit. Thats not a sport. Its a game.
    This ******** display should be removed from the Olympics ASAP!!!

Judges in figure skating mark according to their "feelings!" They change what is required to score points.

What a freakin joke!
    Last edited by Cardinal Fang; 20-02-2010 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    In football, a touchdown is a touchdown, its worth 6 points regardless of "artistic merit!"

There should be more quantifiable standards in figure skating, not based on some guys emotions!
    The other criteria is not criteria, its subjective artistic merit. Thats not a sport. Its a game.
    This ******** display should be removed from the Olympics ASAP!!!

Judges in figure skating mark according to their "feelings!" They change what is required to score points.

What a freakin joke!

Here's what I find a problem with figure skating and it's been a problem for a long time. When it comes to figure skating any skater can skate a clean skate, but how they skate it how the performance should be judged.

If the American skates flawlessly using Junior men's skating techniques and does some artsie fartsie ruitine, is it worth a gold over another skater who takes technical skills to the max and maybe lands a little wobbly?

did the Russian actually fall during his quad? No.
    Was his performance more difficult? Yes.
    did he also skate with some artistic abilities? Yes.

Did the American's buy that gold medal for lycasek? hmmm.....

Any activity that claims to be a sport SHOULD NOT encompass subjective criteria that change on a moments notice as part of their scoring system. And the way you dress and the way you look SHOULD NOT factor into that equation either.

SPORTS DO NOT HAVE COSTUMES!!!!!!

In football, hockey, etc, the players wear uniforms. DOES not matter which ones have pretty colors.

Hahaha 'Artistic Merit'

Thats the most subjective piece of it all. How can one put a number on artistic merit? Thats what seperates art and sports. Sports has stats, art is based on feeling.

Hahaha.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

I'd rather C2E than work!

The whole argument on the matter is rather subjective. I don't think it necessarily comes down to 'artistic merit' but having a program that milks the new marking system for extra points.

Is it better or worse than the old system? Stojko might have won a lot of gold, but we also had issues such as Sale and Pelletier.

As for the 'is it a sport' that can hardly be focused on just figure skating. Half the summer olympics would be gone. What about snowboarding and the half-pipe? Execution of flips, etc, on the moguls?
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I discovered a secret for watching figure skating a few years ago: mute the tv, and put on the music of your choice - Johnny Cash, Kanye, The Ramones, Tiesto, whatever.

There's no need to try to time it, or to pick anything appropriate. Just put it on shuffle and hit play, and more often than not whatever is playing will fit the performance.

It can be pretty hilarious, but it makes claims of artistry kindof dubious.