Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839
Results 3,801 to 3,806 of 3806

Thread: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

Grandin Fish and Chips is a lifesaver for a Celiac. Dedicated fryers for GF fish and chips are great. And like the front mini-patio space.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    A lot of people like familiarity. They can be confident of the meal they are about to get. Walking into the unknown is out of their comfort zone.
    Nothing like visiting New York, San Francisco, Rome, Tokyo and the like and tracking down a KFC & McDonalds so you have a place to eat.
    As I am sitting this evening in a restaurant at 11 PM on the Piazza di Santa Croce, looking at the stunning Basilica of Santa Croce in Florence, Italy...

No McDonalds in sight. Amen
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

A lot of people like familiarity. They can be confident of the meal they are about to get. Walking into the unknown is out of their comfort zone.
    Nothing like visiting New York, San Francisco, Rome, Tokyo and the like and tracking down a KFC & McDonalds so you have a place to eat.
    I am sure the McDonalds in those places do not only serve locals. When you are in a hurry or on a budget, you might quite possibly go there.

There are many great (and expensive) restaurants in these cities, but unless you are on an unlimited expense account you will probably not go to most of them. Of course, there probably are some great and not so expensive places there too, but they are not always easy for travelers to find or sometimes you just want something familiar.

Are you suggesting that inexpensive places are hard to find? I've never had a problem in any of those cities. Sure, if you want to play it "safe" and just go for the global chains, you can find them easily but you'll probably go past a number of local, affordable places to get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    As I am sitting this evening in a restaurant at 11 PM on the Piazza di Santa Croce, looking at the stunning Basilica of Santa Croce in Florence, Italy...

No McDonalds in sight. Amen
    Some experiences are worth spending some extra money on however some are just gussied up tourist traps. Some reviewers gets a free meal or a free stay and so writes up ahead review in exchange. Or the reviewer, travel agent gets kickbacks from the restaurant or whatever.

All these tourist “must see”s or “must do”s in some reviewer’s book - a book subsidized by the freebies the author received just cause travelling suckers to drop excessive amounts of money in some locale.

Worse, such frivolous spending drains away our domestic earnings and kills our domestic jobs.

Are you suggesting that inexpensive places are hard to find? I've never had a problem in any of those cities. Sure, if you want to play it "safe" and just go for the global chains, you can find them easily but you'll probably go past a number of local, affordable places to get to them.
    Well its not the 1920's anymore and travel is not only an unhurried pleasurable experience for the landed gentry, although some still try to take this approach with varying degrees of success. If you have the time to spend, you can find some great out of the way places. I had a day on one trip last year that was not too busy so I did exactly that, but I also had three airports in five days, so that was the exception. If food is your only or a major focus, I am sure you can track down many great places, but it is not the only reason for traveling or even the main reason for many people.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839