Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637
Results 3,601 to 3,623 of 3623

Thread: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

I'd rather C2E than work!

The irony is if the owners on The Common ignored the blogger's negative review, no one would even know it existed. I never heard of Let's Eat Yeg until this incident went semi-viral last week.

It's also quite the backhand to all the Edmonton restaurants that existed before them. "Things weren't cool before WE came along. You should be thanking us for single handedly making the Edmonton food scene "cool"".

yeah, no ego there at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    The Common friends and owners all seem like douchey trust fund kids.
    Hipsters/Millenials/What-have-you-done-for-me-lately/Curly end moustache wearing douches. All the same pile of ****...oh well....they'll figure out soon how to do business the hard way....
    or when they fail, they'll have mommy and daddy rescue them like nothing happened.
    Parents shouldn’t help their kids?

Not when they're being obnoxious and entitled, no.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

There is fine dining or "must try" out there presumably. One wouldn't know it from this thread.
    this thread has kinda evolved from 'must try' to 'where did so-and-so go out for supper last night'
    Actually it’s mostly turned into you and Replacement being childish twats. And that’s being kind. I generally can’t stand some of IanO’s posts but I don’t need to post dozens and dozens of posts every week going after him when I can just keep my opinion to myself. You should both try it sometime. I’m not saying you can’t disagree with him but most of the time you’re just picking a fight. When you have something of value to contribute, go ahead, but really just try to grow up and stfu already. The rest of us really don’t care about your drama.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by ajs
    I find this particularly humorous since on other C2E board threads an argument for all the Downtown strum and drang is that visitors to Edmonton will of course want to enjoy our urban experience. Well, cities that are interested/invested in tourists have restaurants/nightclubs/night spots that know how to provide quality service. We are seriously lacking in this regard.
    I've long found this to be an Alberta-wide trend. Whether it's cultural, or due to a strong economy or what I don't know. But I'm generally surprised at how much better customer service is at food and drink establishments outside Alberta.

Definitely a strong economy. I noticed a sharp drop last decade in the service industry in terms of quality of service... It's so much easier to find a higher paying job elsewhere, then to rely on low wages and random tipping.

C2E Long Term Contributor

You don't really notice it until you travel to places where the service industry is more vital to the area. We went to Indianapolis, Portland and service was Japan like.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post

There is fine dining or "must try" out there presumably. One wouldn't know it from this thread.
    this thread has kinda evolved from 'must try' to 'where did so-and-so go out for supper last night'
    Actually it’s mostly turned into you and Replacement being childish twats. And that’s being kind. I generally can’t stand some of IanO’s posts but I don’t need to post dozens and dozens of posts every week going after him when I can just keep my opinion to myself. You should both try it sometime. I’m not saying you can’t disagree with him but most of the time you’re just picking a fight. When you have something of value to contribute, go ahead, but really just try to grow up and stfu already. The rest of us really don’t care about your drama.
    Anybody could think there was irony contained in this post. So good to hear nothing has changed and you are the same as always..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Service sector jobs here seem entitled. People expecting good tips, who show up for work more for the spending time with coworkers than actually serving the customers and being attentive to them. So that establishments often feel like mini social clubs and that by being a patron you are interrupting their social time. A few were even attired in the kind of dress one would expect for prom. Like overdressed for work in Ellerslie, Edmonton.

This dynamic is why I kind of avoid establishments like this. It was the case at Chop as well. A bunch of Ken and Barbies flirting with each other and paying more attention to that then clientele. Fortunately we got a waitress who seemed less involved in that and that was more attentive.

The interesting thing is that hiring on "looks" seems to be very much a thing in the Bar and Restaurant industry and yet is it really established this is what most customers want? I actually find that the rude service and lack of attentiveness is sometimes associated with those that think they are beautiful and gods gift to the world. They often seem a bit aloof or arrogant. I prefer friendly.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs
    I find this particularly humorous since on other C2E board threads an argument for all the Downtown strum and drang is that visitors to Edmonton will of course want to enjoy our urban experience. Well, cities that are interested/invested in tourists have restaurants/nightclubs/night spots that know how to provide quality service. We are seriously lacking in this regard.
    I've long found this to be an Alberta-wide trend. Whether it's cultural, or due to a strong economy or what I don't know. But I'm generally surprised at how much better customer service is at food and drink establishments outside Alberta.
    Agreed, can count on one hand how many times I've received poor service in the States, yet on the other hand - I don't really give a crap about the service. We choose places for the food and drink and as long as I get it in a timely manner - I'm ok with that....plus for whatever reason - when I'm with the wife - we always get good service...I find servers judge clients based on the first 3 seconds of interaction - if the customer gives off a bad vibe - than it's over. So we walk in with smiles and only good things happen....

Anecdotally, I feel as if I've received better service in Calgary restaurants/bars (perhaps a more competitive market?) but I'd agree that on the whole Alberta needs to improve it's service game.

My sense is that private distribution of legalized pot will (in the short term) mean a notable increase in tourist traffic to Alberta/Edmonton. The time for service improvements is nigh.

The interesting thing is that hiring on "looks" seems to be very much a thing in the Bar and Restaurant industry and yet is it really established this is what most customers want? I actually find that the rude service and lack of attentiveness is sometimes associated with those that think they are beautiful and gods gift to the world. They often seem a bit aloof or arrogant. I prefer friendly.
    You can have both. I've received excellent service from competent and attentive servers. And they were also very attractive!

Man do ever love The Hallway Cafe in City Hall. Fresh, flavourful, educational.

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

The educational aspect of scoring drugs for desert or appetizer?

Assuming Top Dawg is away I can't resist.

Is that the special balsamic dressing or did somebody cut their finger shredding some veggies?

I'll behave now.

So what did Sonic Death Monkey do for lunch today?
    He went to Care-It Deli on 104 St downtown.
    Turkey chili was alright but not a hint of spicy at all.
    Vietnamese sammich was good although you can get better versions at actual Vietnamese eateries.
    Friendly staff.
    Very little indoor seating, which means this primarily caters to takeout.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Love CareIT. Viet or Cubano for me.
    www.decl.org

Cool.

Do they pull your pork like Subway ?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I noticed in the old Shoppers Drug Mart location yesterday 114th/Jasper, something called "Green Moustache" opening soon, anyone know what this is about?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E SME

Checked out DOSC for some breakfast this morning. Had a chai latte and their "sober cat breakfast", which was a small omelette, thick cut bacon, chicken sausage, toast and marinated tomatoes. It was very good. The portions were pretty small, but for $10 that was to be expected, and the menu did say "mini omelette". Really nice presentation and the service was also good. Their market menu had a good mix of things to choose from. Including a $88, 9 oz, Japanese Wagyu rib eye. It was very tempting to have a $100 steak and eggs, but common sense prevailed.

I was there just before 9, so it started fairly quiet as the market was just getting going. By the time I left the cafe portion was filling up. It's such a huge space, but I think they've done a good job in dividing it up in to separate areas so it won't feel as empty if there's only a dozen or so people in the cafe. I left pretty impressed, the people behind this obviously know what they're doing and put a lot of thought in to it. Hopefully they make a go of it.

C2E Posting Power

Anyone been to the "Shoeless Joe's" out in the Park? Looking forward to trying it in a few weeks....

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^^I popped in last week just to take a walk around the space and liked what I saw. Definitely seems much more well-conceived than the Burg.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

^Getting great reviews from people I've talked to, particularly the brunch/market day menu, and the cocktails. I've had dinner there for soft opening, it need to be tweaked but had potential. The latte I had was great.
    www.decl.org

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637