Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

Thanks. I actually saw that place before and thought about going there.

I assume the fake titties in the face are included with your meal...

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Hmmm, that's a good question. I think the idea about the fake titties in your face is that you pay for it through a nice fat tip. Normally I consider myself ot be a fairly generous tipper, 20% usually... but lastnight the chic got a lousy 10%.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Kai is supposedly akin to a Joey Tomatoes or Earls so I am not surprised about the mammary-enhanced waitresses. Not that I would complain about that, mind you...
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Yea, the food is pretty much what you would find at Joeys Tomatoes or Earls... and I honestly think I would have had a better quality meal (and less expensive) at either of them too.

SDM,

Thank you for using the term mammary enhanced as opposed to the objectifying term that has been repeated in five of the above posts.

(Junior high) locker room colloquialisms for (female) body parts are not necessary and I find them objectionable.

No offense DebraW, but in this situation, where they (female servers) purposefully use their breasts (and at least a few of them weren't even real) to get tips, I will use the words that are best used to describe the women who are objectifying their own bodies for monetary gain... and in this case, "fake titties" fits perfectly.

No, sorry that is a cop out.

Perhaps those women are using what they got (by real or by fake means) but that does not mean that anyone has to perpetuate objectifying terms.

Also, there are times and places for certain terms (however apt) and IMO and with full knowledge that I am overwhelming in the gender minority here on C2E and a thread about "must try" restaurants is not the right place.

I'd rather C2E than work!

re:"the rice looked/tasted like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for about 4 hours" - Kai
    I'm always surprised when a good Asian restaurant doesn't serve perfect rice. I have my own rice favourites (Rooster Brand), but whatever the particular brand or style of rice, an Asian restaurant has to get the rice right. Especially one with higher prices. To say it's a staple of Asian cuisine doesn't begin to describe it.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-02-2009 at 08:13 PM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

^ To say the least perfect rice at an Asian type restaurant is a "must do".

The best ambiance, decor or service will not make up for poor food especially for something that as you wrote is a staple.

Default Edmonton Food Google Map

I've been working on mapping out all the good food/restaurant places in Edmonton - if you have anything to add, pm me or if you can figure out how to collaborate, the map is open.

http://tinyurl.com/allansfoodmap
    (full address below here)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...sa=0&msid=1017
    70900881526875329.00043fba3811ea2d8056a&z=11

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Just to add to the comments about Kai, I went there with a friend last night (Saturday). I got chow mein with beef and shrimp. The chow mein was obviously not fresh at all. There was a reasonable amount of beef and shrimp though, but not many veggies actually. Overall I thought for $16 it was fairly reasonable in comparison to the $10-12 something similar at Wok Box would cost.

The decor is most definitely phenomenal. And personally I didn't mind looking at the wait staff , but maybe that's just me (I'm sure it's not). A very young, well dressed crowd was there, and I ran in to a few people I hadn't seen in years. So I had a good experience in that respect.

My friend though ordered a rib eye, and it was a sad joke. $34 for what looked like a piece of meat you would get at a Smitty's. The presentation was nice enough, but I wouldn't have paid half that. There's really no excuse for how sad that steak was.

So like I said, the decor and atmosphere is fantastic, one of the nicest in Edmonton. The food is pretty mediocre. If Hardware Grill or Characters are a 9 or 10, Keg is a 7 or 8 and Earls is a 6, they'd be a 4 or 5. Unfortunate in the extreme, I was hoping for so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Hit Sabor last night...

atmosphere - 9/10 - beautiful space, inviting, warm, and the piano is wonderful.
    service - 9/10 - friendly, knowledgable, respectful
    food - 8.5/10 - we shared italian sausage in a ragu which was delicious, had 1 beef tenderloin in cream and veggie sauce cooked perfectly, and 1 lobster/jumbo shrimp taggliatelle.

ordered a nice bottle of red

$150 with tip and well worth it IMO

had no room for dessert but will be back as it looked yummy
    Restaurant review:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Life/...108/story.html
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post
    (Junior high) locker room colloquialisms for (female) body parts are not necessary and I find them objectionable.
    You'll live.

I also think it's just as important for a person to not be so easily offended about trivial things like juvenile language, just as it is important for people to attempt to refrain from using that type of language where they might be in a position to bother someone. Know what I mean?

Anyway, I think I'll give Kai a whirl sometime.

^quite honestly, stay away from the expensive entrees and stick with drinks, appies and possibly noodle bowls.

I think it would be a perfect place for appetizers and drinks, but not a meal... too expensive, and not high enough quality for what you pay for. But I guess they have to pay their interior decorator somehow...

I don't know... why would I want to go someplace that can't put together a proper entree and give them money for appies and drinks? I'd much rather give my money for appies and drinks to a place that knows how to put together a complete menu!

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    You'll live.

I also think it's just as important for a person to not be so easily offended about trivial things like juvenile language, just as it is important for people to attempt to refrain from using that type of language where they might be in a position to bother someone. Know what I mean?

Anyway, I think I'll give Kai a whirl sometime.
    Thank you, I am aware that I will live and I never posted I was offended but that I found it objectionable nor did I ask that the term be removed.

What is not being recognized is that just because I was the only one who bothered to comment does not mean that there were not others who were offended. (And that those who were offended might just not bother to return to this site or that they did not want to be subjected to comments like "you'll live".)

I have given Kai "a whirl" and my comments are in this thread. I would also concur with lat there are far better places to go for appies and drinks that can also do a complete menu. Hooters comes to mind, their burgers and wings are good and the "eye candy" is there as well.

Blue Pear is a must try in my books. Which is why I booked reservations for my SO and myself this Friday night and cannot wait!

and the "eye candy" is there as well.
    Not even close. Kai had one of the most attractive staffs I've seen at a restaurant in Edmonton recently, although on the very young side. Hooters is a sad joke in Canada.

What I don't get, at the risk of continuing this foray into off topic land, is why it's perfectly acceptable and in fact in vogue to frequent establishments, whether they be restaurants or bars or clothing stores or whatever based on the attractiveness of their decor, but morally reprehensible and/or repugnant to do the same based on the visual appeal of the staffing. Save your tut-tuting for someone else. You like light fixtures, I like T&A. Neither of us is the better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    and the "eye candy" is there as well.
    Not even close. Kai had one of the most attractive staffs I've seen at a restaurant in Edmonton recently, although on the very young side. Hooters is a sad joke in Canada.

What I don't get, at the risk of continuing this foray into off topic land, is why it's perfectly acceptable and in fact in vogue to frequent establishments, whether they be restaurants or bars or clothing stores or whatever based on the attractiveness of their decor, but morally reprehensible and/or repugnant to do the same based on the visual appeal of the staffing. Save your tut-tuting for someone else. You like light fixtures, I like T&A. Neither of us is the better for it.
    ahem... uh.. raz... you just equated women to light fixtures...

edit: although I see the point you were making, one is an inanimate object and the other is, well... not.
    Last edited by lat; 08-02-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Funny how this thread has now been dominated by Kai when I started a separate thread on it just a few days ago.

Has anyone else tried the private dining room at L'Azia in CCW entitled the Wine Room?

Had a private lunch there a few weeks back with some heavy hitters and was impressed (as were they).

The room is in the front, behind the reservation desk, closed off by curtains and circled by the restaurants wine collection (hence the name).

You get personalized and very attentive service, the food was excellent (which did surprise me as L'Azia has been sporadic IMO) and there is only an additional charge of $35 dollars. (I think that is what the charge was, I was not paying.)

A place to consider if you need privacy, the Creperie is not your style and you want centrally located downtown dining.
    Last edited by DebraW; 08-02-2009 at 10:13 PM.

^Haven't seen that but i am always less than impressed with L'azia unless you go for brunch.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

The new L'Azia in City Centre does look nice... but I wish they would've either use the front entrance, or moved to a new location not attached to the mall. Oh well!!!

Had a private lunch there a few weeks back with some heavy hitters and was impressed (as were they).
    Did they have a picture of Mike Tyson on the wall? Throw up some maracas and they'd have some movers and shakers, too!!

Haha, but srsly the menu on lazias website look hawt.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Wardair, please refrain from acronyms such as srsly. Vowels are your friend and make it much easier to understand.

i believe Sabor is having an open house tonight for those interested... some wine and appys.

might want to call though as i am not sure if it is open or rsvp
    www.decl.org

At long last the night of our Grand Opening Open House has arrived!!!

Come down to SABOR DIVINO RESTAURANT AND TAPAS CAFE and celebrate our official Grand Opening!!! We will be serving cuisine tasters all night, as well as offering the latest Reserve releases from PKNT wines.

This is a fantastic opportunity to sample the divine food, drink, and atmosphere Edmonton is raving about!!!

Date:Tuesday, February 10, 2009
    Time:5:00pm - 10:00pm
    Street:10220 103 ST NW
    City/Town:Edmonton, AB
    Source: Facebook Invite

How does Lazia downtown compare to the Northside? I've been to the Northside one and it has always been quite good. Isn't it a family chain and affiliated with another bar or restaurant?
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

I usually go to the downtown one but have been the one in Christies Corner as well. More or less the same although I think the N one is larger.

some restaurants i recently tried out that i liked:

free press bistro: 104th street west side, south of jasper. not bad, they have some good meat and a nice interior. it feels somewhat cozy and the staff is really nice. they have good sandwiches i think.

route 99 diner: 99th street and 87th avenue. by far one of the best 1950s nostalgia places i've been too. retro décor fills the place and a big jukebox is near the door. the staff is pretty good and the place feels cozy, like a neighbourhood hangout. where people from the neighbourhood bump into each other, i liked that. they had a good selection of food and overall it was pretty good quality. i'd recomend it.

will try out some more soon.
    ----

What type of food does Route 99 have? Is it mostly greasy burgers and fries, or home-cooking? I bought a house at 98 st and 83 ave recently (not moved in yet), so I'd be interested in checking it out if the food is decent.

Gord

C2E Continued Contributor

Tried KAI last night...

Atmosphere is awesome...

Girls are for the most part hot (plastic and all)

Food...Yeah not that impressed...Moxies style at double the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    What type of food does Route 99 have? Is it mostly greasy burgers and fries, or home-cooking? I bought a house at 98 st and 83 ave recently (not moved in yet), so I'd be interested in checking it out if the food is decent.

Gord
    think 60's diner

both
    www.decl.org

Thumbs up Blue Pear Restaurant!

Blue Pear Restaurant is a must, must try restaurant.

Food = fantastic!

Attention to details = phenomenal!

Service = professional, warm and GREAT!

Ambiance = cozy, elegance that has a nice clean, crisp edge.

WOW = does not say enough or it all.

To the question of Route 99 Diner:

It's Diner food....freaking fantastic diner food that I love. It's exactly what a diner should be - go in and have some simple yet fantastic food and enjoy a good cup of joe.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post

Gord
    Ian pretty much said it. Basically the sixties fifties memorabilia sort. Burgers, milkshakes, fries, sandwiches, sodas, etc. The food is pretty good, and even if you don't like it, it's pretty cheap. I don't see why you wouldn't like it, it's pretty good.
    ----

Anyone else been to the wildflower in the last 2-4 weeks?

I was there about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

I've been thinking about trying the Wildflower... how was it?

I enjoy it. The food is fresh and original. Service is always fantastic and they have a great wine list too!

Wildflower is one of the better new establishments in the city in terms of food, decore, and service.
    www.decl.org

I have had to sit on this one for a while
    We were there two weeks ago as two couples.
    Nice decor, interesting menu and wine list. We were surprised at the minimal "by the glass" selection however we all found somethaing that we all enjoyed.

We were very surprised at the "you can stop talking as I am here to speak to you" in your face attitude from our server. Any restaurant that we have been to will afford an appropriate moment to intercede in conversation. This was after the drink order was lost or forgotten.
    Two of the four appies were incredible the others forgettable. (orders lost or forgotten again).
    Our server then seemed to disappear.... Manager stops by to ask how our evening was going. Then goes to find server.....

Three servers then delivered the mains. Rack of lamb was incredible, Venison likewise, the third ok and the fourth was a disappointment. To have Ahi Tuna cooked beyond the way people used to do pork is just not right.

We were informed that the menu was changing so wrote the meal off as a do over later. Maybe it was a full moon or no moon evening. Overall we were dissapointed with what should have been a great evening.
    One of our foursome recently and very aptly said "Well, it was surreal"
    We will be back if we hear things improve

I am assuming you're talking about Wildflower Blueline?

^^ interesting for the service was one of the most impressive things when i was there.
    www.decl.org

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

A couple of options for a quicker meal.

I regularly lunch at Buccas and Pastas (http://bucasandpastas.com/) on the west end. Excellent food at a good price. The decore is basic diner, and it's not a large place. You'll regularly find people lined up out the door at lunch hour, but don't let that stop you. Service is fast, and the majority of people are doing takeout. They have a half dozen pastas and a half dozen sauces all laid out in front of you at the counter, and you ask for whatever mix you would like. All pastas and sauces are made on site.

Another quick meal favorite is Three Amigos Mexican restaurant in Duggan (no website, but here is the VUE Weekly review http://www.vueweekly.com/article.php?id=8618). We've dropped in here a few times on Saturdays, and it is rarely busy. The owners are very friendly, and all of the food is fresh and made to order. I highly recommend the "Ultimate Amigo" platter. It has a good portion of everything on the menu (it was three trays worth of food last time we went).

[quote=danimalrex;169513]A couple of options for a quicker meal.

I regularly lunch at Buccas and Pastas (http://bucasandpastas.com/) on the west end. Excellent food at a good price. The decore is basic diner, and it's not a large place. You'll regularly find people lined up out the door at lunch hour, but don't let that stop you. Service is fast, and the majority of people are doing takeout. They have a half dozen pastas and a half dozen sauces all laid out in front of you at the counter, and you ask for whatever mix you would like. All pastas and sauces are made on site.
    [quote]

Buccas and Pastas is a favourite of mine too. (Especially since Sceppas closed.)

I love the tomato pesto or the regular pesto and have taken home their sauce many a time. Being across from West Division means that there are often EPS personnel in there. Their tiramisu and lattes are darn good as well!

Sorry , yes the Wildflower

Default Famoso

Another vote for Famoso. I like the format where you can place your order and then hang out wherever... part bar, part restaurant. Great pizzas!

Went to the 109 street bistro on Friday night and thought it was great. The atmsophere is always as good as the food.

C2E Continued Contributor

My wife and I tried Bistecca on 111st near 23 ave lastnight.

What a great meal and the service was amazing aswell.

This is what we had and our take on it.

Appetizer's.
    -Grilled freshwater prawn and sardine fritter (Very good and well presented)
    -Alberta bison carpaccio (Damn tasty)

Mains.
    -Beef tenderloin wrapped in pancetta (cooked rare and it was a 10 out of 10)
    -Elk osso bucco (my wifes first time having elk, and couldnt get enough, she loved it)

For dessert we shared a simple Lemon ''sorbetto'' (sorbet), it was just the thing after the hearty meal.

I highly recommend you try it.I dont think you will regret it.The portions were also very well sized...We will be back!!!

http://www.sorrentinos.com/locations/aromacentury.html

Best Thai - Thai Orchid
    Best Chinese - Pearl River
    Best Italian - Pazzo Pazzo
    Best Greek - Koutiki
    Best Pizza - Famoso
    Best malaysian - Tropika
    Best Steak - Chop
    Best Bar Food/Comfort Food - Original Joes
    Best Teppanyaki - Japanese Village
    Best Burgers - Red Robins
    Best Sushi - Kyoto
    Best lebanese - Parkallen

Has anyone been to that Lebanese place on 118 Street just off Jasper... It's in the same building as Suede. Mmmmm, so good.

grish

I have. It was a resounding MEH. Really nothing special. I am sure there are better ones in Edmonton.

Really? You didn't think it was anything special? Maybe they were having a bad day...

grish

Nothing to want to make a special trip to try again. I was there a couple of times because of being nearby and the company I was with wanted to go there. It wasn't anywhere near a wow, just a middle of the pack restaurant.

Best Thai - Thai Orchid - Bua Thai
    Best Chinese - Pearl River - Sai Woo
    Best Italian - Pazzo Pazzo - agreed
    Best Greek - Koutiki - agreed
    Best Pizza - Famoso - agreed
    Best malaysian - Tropika - I suppose but it isnt that great
    Best Steak - Chop - red ox inn
    Best Bar Food/Comfort Food - Original Joes
    Best Teppanyaki - Japanese Village - agreed
    Best Burgers - Red Robins - Earls or Garage
    Best Sushi - Kyoto - Furusawa
    Best lebanese - Parkallen - agreed
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Escondido View Post
    I have to recommend my favourite pizza place. We order from here regularly and always enjoy.

New Way Pizza - Serves pizza with whole wheat dough that tastes amazing! They have neat combinations and amazingly low prices. I really recommend their Hawaiian pizza and Jalapeno Cheddar dip. This restaurant is pick up or delivery only. 13128 66 Street NW, 478-6200.
    What?? New Way at least *used* to deliver. I've never even been to their location and I've had it several times.

(oh wait, post I was replying to is really old. Never mind)

Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    Another vote for Famoso. I like the format where you can place your order and then hang out wherever... part bar, part restaurant. Great pizzas!

They seem to have switched to a more traditional "Please Wait To Be Seated" system in the last few weeks, which I find kind of sad. Dunno if it's permanent or only at certain times.

I could never pick a favorite pizza place. There's more than one kind of pizza, so there has to be more than one kind of favorite.

Greasy: Chicago
    Authentic Italian simplicity: Famoso
    New York style (greasier, but thin crust): Tony's Pizza Palace
    Super healthy: New Way on the north side, Terwillegar on the south.
    Weird: Funky Pickle
    By the Slice: Funky Pickle
    Last edited by graham; 29-03-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    Nothing to want to make a special trip to try again. I was there a couple of times because of being nearby and the company I was with wanted to go there. It wasn't anywhere near a wow, just a middle of the pack restaurant.
    Do you have any suggestions for other Lebanese/Middle Eastern places in the city that are better at the same price?

(I hear Parkallen is great but they are a whole different concept, much more expensive.)

Surprised to read your comments because I have always found La Shish absolutely delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by graham View Post
    They seem to have switched to a more traditional "Please Wait To Be Seated" system in the last few weeks, which I find kind of sad. Dunno if it's permanent or only at certain times.
    At peak periods, you have to expect to wait for a table. If they're all full, you can't expect them to snap their fingers and create more tables for you.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by graham View Post
    At peak periods, you have to expect to wait for a table. If they're all full, you can't expect them to snap their fingers and create more tables for you.
    I don't think you understood what I meant. Previously, even when horribly busy, it was still essentially "free table? Go grab it." More like a pub or fast food place than a traditional restaurant.

Now they have a list, a line, and a sign. If they're really busy (in the sense of running around serving customers) you could wait 10-15 minutes even with empty tables when before you could just sit down, go order, and get your food much faster.

Alberta Health Services has information online on all restaurants in the Edmonton area.
    You can see if any restaurant has any type of health violation, etc at www.capitalhealth.ca/restaurantinspections

^

First One is Always Free

Food = fantastic!

The Blue Pear is indeed a little treasure. I think its owner used to be head chef at Jack's Grill a few years back. It definitely stacks up as one of Edmonton's finest.
    Have you tried the Unheardof? Another little Jem is Manor Cafe in Highstreet...
    Don't ever take investment advice from someone who is still working for a living!

^love the manor...
    www.decl.org

Pradera Cafe and Lounge at the Westin has its new menu well under way and it is quite fantastic. We broke away from the corporate crap and the lunch/dinner menu is now all creations from our own culinary team. Pretty much everything is made in house. I highly recommend popping by and trying it out.

My favourites:

Cajun-spice rubbed prime rib
    Rabbit confit spring rolls
    Blackened Halibut
    Soy Chocolate Mousse
    Sweet potato pecan pie

^out of principle i cannot go back... i miss the Carvery too much
    www.decl.org

It's gone, dude. It's unfortunate but the sad truth.

If it helps, our two dining room waiters have been there since the Carvery days and still provide some of the best service in the City.

harpist?
    www.decl.org

Haha, not on a regular basis like back in the day.

But a friend of mine from the U who works as an operator at the hotel is indeed a harpist that studies under the ESO's principal.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk E-Town View Post

Food = fantastic!

The Blue Pear is indeed a little treasure. I think its owner used to be head chef at Jack's Grill a few years back. It definitely stacks up as one of Edmonton's finest.
    Have you tried the Unheardof? Another little gem is Manor Cafe in Highstreet...
    Have tried Unheardof (and probably most restaurants in the city!).

Going to Ernest's the Dining Room @ NAIT for dinner tomorrow and cannot wait. A great gem as well.

MylesC, Is the restaurant pre symphony do-able time wise, say in at 6 out by 7 (ish) on a Staurday ?

Definitely! You'll easily be in and out before doors at the Winspear open.

I'd also say it's a better bet than Eastbound on a concert night is something is going on at the Citadel. I went there one evening at 4:15/4:30pm with my family - we had to be quick as I had to be at the Winspear by 6 - and we were told they were full with reservations. Not a single person seated in the place. I asked what time they started holding seats as it would be good to know...I'm the evening concierge at the Westin and I send people here, blah, blah....all of the sudden they said, oh, we can fit you in.

No thanks...

thx ! we will book a res. and try it on our next occasion

High Level Diner - Very good all round food, tasty and healthy, fantastic bread pudding made with cinnamon bun dough..

Happy Garden - in Parkallan, very good Szhechuan, been there for years and years. Really good food!

Here's some of my favourite Dim Sum places - Dynasty just off Whyte, Golden Rice Bowl - prices have gone up a bit, Chai For Tea - West end, just off Stony Plain Road & 175

Origin India - Whyte Ave - very good buffet, fresh & tasty naan, beautiful restaurant - they have a take-out window too!

Sicillian Pasta Kitchen - Saddleback Road - really tasty escargot

Tony's Pizza - 96 street, 111 Ave in Little Italy - Great pizza that they hand throw, so you get a show too!

Dadeos - Whyte ave Cajun Diner - it's licensed so don't bring your kids, but the po-boys and sweet potato fries are incredible!! Good, solid cajun food at fantastic prices.

Brewsters - Really good blueberry beer, fantastic patios for summer!
    Last edited by jennjenn; 17-04-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Adding Dadeos! And Brewsters!

Don't forget about the Sicillian Pasta Kitchen that is downtown on 113st and Jasper ave as well...

grish

Never been to Sicillian Pasta Kitchen in the south, but I've been to the one on Jasper about 3 times total. Was pretty good, but I don't if it is any better than, say, Spaghetti Factory.

I wonder why you single out the far south location instead of just saying "Sicilian Pasta Kitchen". Do they have different menu? Is one better than the other?

Never been to Sicillian Pasta Kitchen in the south, but I've been to the one on Jasper about 3 times total. Was pretty good, but I don't if it is any better than, say, Spaghetti Factory.

I wonder why you single out the far south location instead of just saying "Sicilian Pasta Kitchen". Do they have different menu? Is one better than the other?
    I've tried both, and I had a good experience at both, but a better experience at the southside one... I really enjoyed their escargot, but for a more homemade experience I like Il Forno. Not the most expensive Italian place in the city, but still really good and friendly.

grish

on topic of good italian pasta... for just really good quality pasta--The Pasta Pantry in Sherwood Park. YUM!!! And they do great take out.

jennjenn

Here's some of my favourite Dim Sum places - Dynasty just off Whyte, Golden Rice Bowl - prices have gone up a bit, Chai For Tea - West end, just off Stony Plain Road & 175
    Dynasty has been closed for a few months because the landlord wants to upgrade the building. That's why the Antique Mall is gone too.

Rumour has it that a new Dynasty will open where the China Palace used to be on Whyte ave. It's kitty corner to Humpty's and Scona Cycle. That would be excellent!
    Last edited by North Guy66; 17-04-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jennjenn View Post
    Origin India - Whyte Ave - very good buffet, fresh & tasty naan, beautiful restaurant - they have a take-out window too!
    Thank you, thank you and thank you.

I asked about the quality of their food in the Origin India thread but people here were too busy ooohing and aaaahing about the takeout window to answer that question.

Partially Addicted to C2E

The BF and I walked by Karma tonight and it was open! We tried it out and weren't disappointed! The food was quite good, better price point than Khazana's or Hawali's and fairly good ambiance. Excellent service. Definitely worth a visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    The BF and I walked by Karma tonight and it was open! We tried it out and weren't disappointed! The food was quite good, better price point than Khazana's or Hawali's and fairly good ambiance. Excellent service. Definitely worth a visit!
    great to hear... since it is across the street and all!
    www.decl.org

New dim sum restaurant called Unforgettable on 7219-104 st. The owners used to run Chili Hot Hot.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Life/...889/story.html

I'll check it out.

High Level Diner - Very good all round food, tasty and healthy, fantastic bread pudding made with cinnamon bun dough..

Happy Garden - in Parkallan, very good Szhechuan, been there for years and years. Really good food!

Sicillian Pasta Kitchen - Saddleback Road - really tasty escargot

Tony's Pizza - 96 street, 111 Ave in Little Italy - Great pizza that they hand throw, so you get a show too!

Dadeos - Whyte ave Cajun Diner - it's licensed so don't bring your kids, but the po-boys and sweet potato fries are incredible!! Good, solid cajun food at fantastic prices.

Brewsters - Really good blueberry beer, fantastic patios for summer!
    I'm not a beer drinker but was in Brewsters a few weeks ago and had exactly, that, a Blueberry beer. It was awesome! Brewsters is a great place to go, under-rated I think and the patio would be fantastic in summer. I will definitely be back.
    We are all the same, just different...

grish

did brewsters at meadowlark shut down?

Don't know grish but the location at Meadowlark is still showing on Brewsters' website.
    We are all the same, just different...

Not as recent as last weekend.

grish

good. I just saw some activity near that building about a month ago. I was bussing by and so didn't get a good look.

Default An Irishman In Italy

We went to Cafe Sorrentino's on Sat for luinch
    Yummy + great interior
    Would add it to your list
    http://www.caffesorrentino.com/

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Also went there recently. They got off to a bad start, giving me sprite that was really just soda water (no syrup), but after that it was good. They gave us a bean-tortilla/green-dip starter for free (not sure if that's going to always be the case or if it's something they're just doing for now) which I didn't like but probably others would.

Had butter chicken, na'an bread, and bazmati rice for $23(+tax+tip), enough to feed two with leftovers, and this was definitely all very good. Better than Haweli, which is where I usually go for Indian food. And I think a bit cheaper too (I recall this same combination being closer to $30 there).

Props to Culina Highlands, the former Bacon. Unfortunately, I never got to Bacon but love this spot. Great ambience and wine list along with an imaginative menu.

In fact, that whole corner, with a new coffee shop next door, La Boheme and a book store/coffee shop on the other corner and the antique shop across the street make this a very interesting hideaway.

More of this, please.

Last time I was at south a few months ago I was talking to the staff who indicated that the restaurants are no longer affiliated and are under different ownership.

I think they have a similar but not identical menu.

I've likes south more for the food, downtuwn for the location..

Quote Originally Posted by Mercucio View Post
    Props to Culina Highlands, the former Bacon. Unfortunately, I never got to Bacon but love this spot. Great ambience and wine list along with an imaginative menu.

In fact, that whole corner, with a new coffee shop next door, La Boheme and a book store/coffee shop on the other corner and the antique shop across the street make this a very interesting hideaway.

More of this, please.
    exactly! Highlands is one of the places i would consider if i left downtown with a big reason for that being this corner.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    New dim sum restaurant called Unforgettable on 7219-104 st. The owners used to run Chili Hot Hot.

I'll check it out.
    Fantastic, thanks NG66! I really liked Chili Hot Hot as it had good prices and was pretty authentic, but I wondered where it went when Kai's moved in. Now I have a new dim-sum place to try, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Thank you, thank you and thank you.

I asked about the quality of their food in the Origin India thread but people here were too busy ooohing and aaaahing about the takeout window to answer that question.
    You're most welcome! I don't understand why it isn't jumping in the restaurant part, I went on a Wednesday night at about 6-ish and it was almost empty. People must only know it for it's takeout window, but the restaurant itself is so much more. It can really give New Asian Village, Haweli, and Khazanna's a run for the money.

So South-siders, if you're looking for dinner with no wait, don't go to the Gateway restaurants that are always jammed to the rafters, head to Whyte for some really fantastic Indian food.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post

I'll check it out.
    Fantastic, thanks NG66! I really liked Chili Hot Hot as it had good prices and was pretty authentic, but I wondered where it went when Kai's moved in. Now I have a new dim-sum place to try, cheers!
    dont't forget to try the 'birds nest' on 100ave/105st... quite good
    www.decl.org

Cafe de Ville - 124st/102 ave

Had not been there in a few years and was quite impressed once again. We had crab corn cakes to start with the most yummy house rolls (think croissant). A cocktail de ville for her with 2 glasses of red for me. Duck and Chicken stuffed with boar bacon were our mains with creme brulee to finish at around $100. Good value, great setting, nice place to walk around pre/post.

4/5
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

We go to Maurya Palace on Victoria Trail a lot. I like it better than New Asian Village anyway - the owners and staff are incredibly friendly and they have a whole bunch of kinds of beer there too. I think the buffet is nightly.
    Our other fave is Route 99 diner, a few blocks south of Whyte. Their hashbrowns are shredded and grilled and their coffee is nice and strong. All day breakfast - the three most beautiful words in the English language...
    Best eggs benny - smoked salmon benny at Madison's Grill in the Union Bank Inn.

First One is Always Free

Oh and best burger - Devaneys Irish Pub on 88 Ave in Bonnie Doon (used to be O'Connors). Try the loaded Devaney burger - bacon, cheddar, bbq sauce and onion rings. Classic.
    I used to love the peanut butter bacon burger at Prince Albert's in London, ON, but haven't seen anyone serving it here.

Quote Originally Posted by heatheregger View Post
    peanut butter bacon burger

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast