Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
Results 2,101 to 2,171 of 2171

Thread: Whyte Ave/Old Strathcona Retail Discussion

I'd rather C2E than work!

Huh, I walked past the other day and they had signs of a sale, but I thought it said "25th Anniversary Sale" or something like that, not "going out of business." I guess it's both. Also, I had no idea Minty owned the store.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Yeah, in their old location (currently The Situation), you would often see him up in the little booth/office that overlooked the store. He typically just sat up there, only occasionally going down, even if people were obviously loitering. Which is odd, because at Warp One, you couldn't look at a comic for more than three seconds before hearing "We ask here that you can read the first page, but then buy the book and read the rest at home" with that trademark smirk .

C2E Long Term Contributor

Todd Cleaners moves out of Strathcona location amid contamination battle

This is across the street from Wild Earth grocery
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Well... that's a bit scary for anyone living nearby. If the chemicals have gone across the road they're likely at the properties right beside the cleaner.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

The front of Re:Grub was totally defaced with graffiti when I drove past yesterday. They are closed for renovations.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

They’ve been closed for renovations for awhile... but are they actually renovating? I hope they just remain closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    They’ve been closed for renovations for awhile... but are they actually renovating? I hope they just remain closed.
    Your hopes will be fulfilled....
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I don’t think anything has been done inside Re:Grub. I don’t think it’s just closed for a renovation, more likely closed for good.

ReGRUB had lines around the block when it first opened, but I think the notion of $12 for a sundae was always gonna be short-lived. I recall it being pretty dead every time I walked by there after a point- I only went in there once, as it's typically out of my way (ie. I wouldn't be around when I was in the mood for dessert).

And then with that Choco17 or whatever it's called opening up literally right around the corner... they probably saw the writing on the wall, with that place's franchise and bigger location, and went "WELP that's it".

Though they announced at first they were gonna be back, that might have just been a lie or wishful thinking.

They served overpriced burgers and milkshakes there. There’s not really any crossover between there and Cacao 70, which is a chocolate/brunch place.

It's still dessert. And, I mean, Cacao70 serves chocolate EVERYTHING, including some fancy milkshakes. There's absolutely some crossover.

Rush Bowls is coming soon to the old Remedy space.
    The New Everest Indian restaurant will be opening any day now next to Mike's Famous.
    Gama Cafe is now closed in the dental building east of 109 St.

Job No 308389644-001
    Description: To install (1) Fascia On-premises Sign (CHINA BBQ)
    Plan I Blk 68 Lot 11
    Applicant: LED PROS
    Create Date: 3/15/2019 3:56:11 PM

The old space that once occupied Hanaichi Express, Sultan’s Kitchen and La Shish.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Work being done in the former Marble Slab Creamery on Whyte. Anyone know what’s going in the space?

I looked it up, and it’s a place called “Ripe Tomato.” They bill themselves as “the best Neapolitan pizza in Alberta.” Pretty ballsy opening up less than a block away from Famoso.

I looked it up, and it’s a place called “Ripe Tomato.” They bill themselves as “the best Neapolitan pizza in Alberta.” Pretty ballsy opening up less than a block away from Famoso.
    Also with that other place opening a few doors down from Famoso in the Raymond Block.

Yeah, that’s not Neopolitan pizza, though (which is what Famoso has). Blaze pizza is pretty much like a pizza version of Subway; quite similar to Love Pizza downtown. With that said... that’s a lot of pizza places in a small area (plus Royal Pizza 2 blocks south).

Pizza is good for soaking up beer in bellies and dollars from wallets.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I am always up for good pizza. Thanks!

The leasing signs for the space east of Malt + Mortar are gone, replaced by security warnings.
    O'Byrne's is closed for renovations.
    Huge lineup outside of Yelo'd!

O'Byrne's reopening in May

Spotlight Cabaret has replaced O2's. Apparently the owner is the 2X4 Guy.

Iruka is now a Chinese burger joint.

Francois Le Roi is now closed as per Sharon Yeo

Yeah, been closed for awhile; I think it was closed before Valentine’s Day. Not shocking, as that’s not a busy pedestrian spot, and the branding of the store looked really weak. With this, and Sanctuary gone, as well as at least one vacancy on the second floor, that building is pretty empty now.

The little plant shop is moving from their 2nd floor space at 10462 82 ave into 8116 gateway blvd.

Ah, I thought they were just advertising in the old chocolate place, but I checked their site and sure enough they’re moving there in the summer.

Chapters has been closed for two days at least. Flood? Fire?

I walked by on Thursday and they were posting the notice saying something about “unforeseen circumstances” forcing them to close for the day. Not good hearing that it was more than a day.

I see heating vents pointed towards the door-probably a flood. My apartment got hit from windy runoff, too.

Bottega has closed for a renovation according to a half dozens colour 8x11 printouts in the entrance way door and window. Any news?

Any word on Chapters?

It’s open, and has been for at least a few days. We were in there on Sat, and I completely forgot to ask about the closure.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Bottega has closed for a renovation according to a half dozens colour 8x11 printouts in the entrance way door and window. Any news?
    Closed.

So now I we know that SugarlashPro is going in the old BMO building on 108 street.

https://edmontonsun.com/news/local-n...-eyelash-queen

Not something I’ll use, but her business sounds fantastic.

Blaze Pizza is now open in the Raymond Block

I walked by tonight around 8 and it was packed!

Looks like Five Guys should be open very soon. There was a cleaning crew in there cleaning the windows and wiping down the fridge/freezer.

Did a visual inspection tour of Old Strathcona today, mainly pointing out what's new, what's coming soon, what spaces are available for lease, or what's being renovated.

I find the pot lottery to have caused a big problem with empty spaces around Whyte Ave. So many spots are sitting vacant because the tenants lost out on the lottery to open a pot shop. Right at Whyte and Calgary trail you have the old DQ and Orange Market spots, as well as the spot beside Malt & Mortar. It’s frustrating.

C2E SME

Although maybe better it happens now than latter. The amount of cannabis vendors that could have been out there if not controlled would have probably forced some to shut down eventually due to the lack of enough clients to make a decent profit.

Did the new Bottega in Old Strathcona shut down or are they actually closed for renos?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Spent a little time on Whyte this past weekend, Gotta say it's looking a little sad, lots of vacant spaces, quite dirty and graffiti everywhere. Does not bode well for Edmonton's only real destination shopping and entertainment street.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    Did the new Bottega in Old Strathcona shut down or are they actually closed for renos?
    Closed. The signage has been removed from the building.

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Spent a little time on Whyte this past weekend, Gotta say it's looking a little sad, lots of vacant spaces, quite dirty and graffiti everywhere. Does not bode well for Edmonton's only real destination shopping and entertainment street.
    Was there on Sunday night and I thought the opposite. Great vibe, very busy and lots of new shops/restos (mind you I haven't been in the area for a while so there may be quite a few things that are only new to me)
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Has anyone checked out Spotlight Cabaret? It was rockin' by Sunday noon.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    Closed. The signage has been removed from the building.
    Sad. I always had good meals there.

There are also the empty CRUs in Station on Whyte. Coming to the market in the not too distant future are the spaces in the Trax condos next to my building.

Calgary's premiere ice cream Made By Marcus coming to Edmonton

While Edmonton has a number of excellent ice cream, gelato and sorbet alternatives, there can never be too much ice cream in this city. That’s why I am pleased to learn that my favourite spot for ice cream in Calgary, Made by Marcus, is opening in Old Strathcona by the end of June.

Made by Marcu
    s will be at 10426 82nd Ave. NW. The hours will be 12 p.m. to 11 p.m., seven days a week in the summer. Winter hours are 12 p.m. to 10 p.m

https://edmontonjournal.com/life/foo...ng-to-edmonton

It’s opening up behind Cacao70 (you can access it from the front, through the little alleyway to the east of Cacao70).

^ Thank you. I googled the address and thought it was the old Tutti Frutti location.

Five Guys will open on Friday. They were doing some training in there tonight.

DangerKat Waffles, coming soon with sweet and savoury waffle wraps in Old Strathcona, at 8115 101 Street

I think that address may be off a little - that’s the A&W on Whyte.

I went for a walk today and found Jill Stanton painting the DangerKat Waffles storefront. The address is 8116 101 st, and is just tucked behind the Xhale club, in the little parking lot there. It doesn’t look like it’ll be a large space, so I’m guessing more of a grab-and-go place. Not sure when they’ll open.

I went for a walk today and found Jill Stanton painting the DangerKat Waffles storefront. The address is 8116 101 st, and is just tucked behind the Xhale club, in the little parking lot there. It doesn’t look like it’ll be a large space, so I’m guessing more of a grab-and-go place. Not sure when they’ll open.
    Going to be a difficult location given it's not on a major stroll. They are going to have to put out exceptional food offerings, given it looks like a grab and go concept. They will need well tuned social media skills to tap into the minds, hearts and tummy's of their focus market.

https://www.instagram.com/dangerkatwaffles/

Yup, but once it’s known, it could be a destination place. Drive down East Whyte around 8 pm on a warm weekday and you’ll find more people in front of Yello’d than the rest of East Whyte from 99 st to Gateway. Those aren’t people strolling by, those are people who went there. Maybe DangerKat can be the same; it was certainly smart of them to put a bright mural on the building (that’s what I noticed when looking around).

A bit too far to be considered part of Whyte Ave, but Kind Ice Cream opened in Ritchie yesterday. I got there about 1:30 and it was quite busy (almost everyone had babies/toddlers with them), but I saw video of massive lines in the evening. I think they should be happy for their first day. The ice cream was delicious, and they have fresh waffle cones as well.
    Last edited by Gord Lacey; 13-06-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Rocket Fizz will be opening somewhere in Old Strathcona. I'm guessing it will be open in the same place where other candy shops have come and gone.

Accent Lounge has closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I'm guessing it will be open in the same place where other candy shops have come and gone.
    Not this time - Cinnaholic is in that space.

'Accent Lounge has closed.'

Sold and will reopen, but uncertain about the concept. I really liked Accent, but it was tired.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

From what Top_Dawg experienced Accent was snooty.

The food was sh*t.

And everything was way overpriced.

Five Guys will open on Friday. They were doing some training in there tonight.
    Just tried it, pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    From what Top_Dawg experienced Accent was snooty.

The food was sh*t.

And everything was way overpriced.
    Glad I didn't waste my money trying the place LOL.

Yeah, same with Top_Dawg.

Top_Dawg was dragged there on a corporate function.

So there was no skin off his balls.

LOL

City News video:

More shops and restaurants are opening up storefronts in Edmonton back alleys.

https://twitter.com/CityNewsYEG/stat...60780599410688

Cool. Whyte Ave - historic, yet a step ahead.
    ... gobsmacked

Dangerkat Waffles is now open in Old Strathcona, accessible through the alley behind the Cat Cafe (10111 82 Avenue)

instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dangerkatwaffles/

The Little Plant Shop that’s moving into the old chocolate space on Gateway has their grand opening this Saturday (June 29).

^Excited for this!
    www.decl.org

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122