Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
Results 2,001 to 2,060 of 2060

Thread: Whyte Ave/Old Strathcona Retail Discussion

I'd rather C2E than work!

So it's a convenience issue then. In my experience some of the best places are slightly inconvenient. It's almost as if part of the charm is that it's a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    So it's a convenience issue then. In my experience some of the best places are slightly inconvenient. It's almost as if part of the charm is that it's a challenge.
    It reminds me of the old Yogi Berra quote, "Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded". Places that are popular are going to have parking problems at busy times.

A few weeks ago I spent what seemed like a painful eternity circling around the parking lot in West Edmonton Mall looking for an elusive spot and there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I don't just mean close to the door, but even at the very, very edge of the lot. I have also had some frustration at South Edmonton Common on occasion finding a relatively decent spot.

Fortunately, I live close to Whyte Ave so I don't have to worry about parking in the area too much. I do park in the area occasionally (generally on the way to or back from somewhere else further away) and haven't had too much trouble finding spots, but usually that is not at the busiest times.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    When I need to go to Whyte for something I never seem to have trouble parking. Then again, I have no problem walking from residential or circling a block a couple times if necessary. It can't always be slap-you-in-the-face easy. Plan ahead, give yourself 10 minutes extra and don't assume you're going to get a George Costanza perfect spot right infront of the store/restaurant you're headed to.
    Same as I opt for the residential streets. I rarely pay for parking too unless a "must". For the farmers market I park all the way on 85 avenue. If we're talking about street parking then that is a matter of how busy it is, seeing that turnover is tied to the meter's existence and charges. I remember talking to the City and OSBA about having meters charge more and hopefully have the money from those meters go directly to area maintenance and improvements (didn't happen) in the new ARP.

I don't think the original dialogue on a "lack of the right retail) is tied directly to the immediate availability of street parking (or free parking). Unless parkades are to be built in new buildings that offer commercial customer parking which is years away and will not be "cheap". The urban condition of the area and the older buildings doesn't allow free or extremely convenient parking. The City lot outside the Keg, for instance, has tied to it the requirement to provide public parking.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Though what we will find in the area is that residential street parking will become increasingly limited to visitors, which is a result of the area's success. How to deal with this (residents and businesses, customers alike) will need to be further addressed... beyond the supposed transit and cycling improvements - higher meter rates and more meters.

Direct routes from some further transit stations to Downtown & Whyte could take a lot of cars out of the parking mix. We always hear about how Rossdale could be like Granville Island...well...Whyte Ave is kind of our Granville Island. Why don't we market it as a destination with ETS rather than just saying "take transit". Have a direct, un-numbered route shuttling people like what is done for FolkFest or Heritage Days. Hell even just from South Common with 4 or 5 stops near hotels would work. Everybody I've ever known who was staying at one of those hotels on Gateway has said there was nothing to do around the hotel.

What ever happened to that late-night bus pilot to Southgate Transit Centre? Why aren't there any to University, Bonnie Doon, Downtown, South Campus, WEM, etc?

Sorry for the rant.

What, you mean this?

Route 1

West Edmonton Mall Transit Centre to Downtown.
    Route 4

Lewis Farms Transit Centre to Capilano Transit Centre.
    Route 8

Mill Woods Transit Centre to Abbottsfield Transit Centre.
    Route 9

Eaux Claire Transit Centre to Century Park Transit Centre (South LRT replacement).
    Route 512

Downtown to Clareview (Northeast LRT replacement).

https://webdocs.edmonton.ca/transit/...ap_Feb2017.pdf

No. I mean dedicated routes. Not routes that just happen to go past/through. Tourist routes, not commuter routes.

There's late night routes that go to
    University, Bonnie Doon, Downtown, South Campus, WEM, etc?
    . The routes in my post are the Lane Night OWL routes. Check the link for the map. They run until 3 am

We don't have enough tourist trade to support dedicated tourist routes. We're not LA or NYC or San Francisco.

I had no idea there were late night routes actually operating. Never hear anything about them.
    Last edited by Alex.L; 23-08-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Won't be long now until parking in residential areas around Whyte won't be possible either. I see the city making those street "residential permit parking only" like they did around the football stadium, university and other busy areas in town. I lived not far from the football stadium long ago, and the permit parking on the streets kept expanding further and further away because people would park further away to be outside the res permit streets. The parking issue doesn't get addressed, people find an alternative by parking further away, and then that option is taken away by permit parking streets.

You would think with the cost of parking in the lots, they might be able to add a 2nd level to some of these lots to expand. The poorly-managed parking lots that are in terrible shape and haven't been repaved in a decade are pathetic for how much they charge. This is both around Whyte and downtown. But that's a whole other issue.

Need Capital Line to run 24 hours everyday so tourists (in the downtown hotels) and citizens can get to Century Park and get the early 747 Bus to the Airport. Otherwise there is no public transport to airport for flights in time for the bank of flights leaving at 0530-0730 ... the busiest time of day. This is a MUST HAVE.

Final planWhyte Land Use Study to be released today; will post when available.

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Won't be long now until parking in residential areas around Whyte won't be possible either. I see the city making those street "residential permit parking only" like they did around the football stadium, university and other busy areas in town. I lived not far from the football stadium long ago, and the permit parking on the streets kept expanding further and further away because people would park further away to be outside the res permit streets. The parking issue doesn't get addressed, people find an alternative by parking further away, and then that option is taken away by permit parking streets.
    I haven't heard anyone in the community raising this as a possibility.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Released PlanWhyte items in August 28th agenda outline: http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/m...doctype=AGENDA

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Need Capital Line to run 24 hours everyday so tourists (in the downtown hotels) and citizens can get to Century Park and get the early 747 Bus to the Airport. Otherwise there is no public transport to airport for flights in time for the bank of flights leaving at 0530-0730 ... the busiest time of day. This is a MUST HAVE.
    That makes sense. There are lots of people in the trades up that early as well. Maybe when the new NETG is built the city will look into it.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    I haven't heard anyone in the community raising this as a possibility.
    I live in the area and am ambivalent about it, but if this issue comes up I think all hell will break loose. First of all, Whyte Ave is not like the areas around the stadium where a large number of people descend once or twice a week for events at certain times of the year. Whyte Ave has people coming 7 days a week, probably 12 hours a day. Also, no LRT stadium right in front of it. There is limited parking already and the merchants will be furious, as this will probably end up driving (no pun intended) a lot of customers away. If any city councilor is stupid enough to push this, I hope you are reading this - be warned the backlash will be fierce.

Residential neighbourhood parking permits and on-street parking restrictions usually (if not always) come with at least a 2hr maximum visitor parking restriction with restrictions only being between 8 or 9am until 5 or 6pm. My buddy's place by Southgate has this for LRT park & riders. Again, for this we're talking years and years away.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Residential neighbourhood parking permits and on-street parking restrictions usually (if not always) come with at least a 2hr maximum visitor parking restriction with restrictions only being between 8 or 9am until 5 or 6pm. My buddy's place by Southgate has this for LRT park & riders. Again, for this we're talking years and years away.
    Whether its next week or years away, the backlash will still be fierce. Whyte Ave is retail, bars and restaurants that draw people from other parts of the city, not an LRT park and ride zone or a neighborhood close to a big special event venue.

Lots of kooky ideas percolating up from the city administration lately that city council has had to rein in - I wouldn't be surprised if some ***** at city hall was pushing for this hard.

I'm not sure why a "fierce backlash" would occur from local residents that would guarentee them a spot in the neighbourhood by limiting Whyte Avenue patrons parking on their street for free and for as long as they want?The City just released its plan to update the Strathcona ARP which calls for greater density and fraffic of all kinds in the Old Strathcona area. So something inevitably will be done about the free on-street residential parking to improve parking turnover, local resident use, etc. What that will look like and when is dependant on the community's interest and their voicing of their interest or concerns to council.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    I'm not sure why a "fierce backlash" would occur from local residents that would guarentee them a spot in the neighbourhood by limiting Whyte Avenue patrons parking on their street for free and for as long as they want?The City just released its plan to update the Strathcona ARP which calls for greater density and fraffic of all kinds in the Old Strathcona area. So something inevitably will be done about the free on-street residential parking to improve parking turnover, local resident use, etc. What that will look like and when is dependant on the community's interest and their voicing of their interest or concerns to council.
    The backlash would come from the businesses in the area. As for the residents, I suspect like me they don't care that much about it. Most apartments and condo's have their own parking off the street, so it would only be an issue for people with several vehicles or like one of my neighbours who I notice has had his motorcycle parked in front of his place for the last month - not sure why, maybe not enough room in the garage (they do have one).

Anyways, people come and go to Whyte Ave through out the day and the evening so it is not the same thing as a huge number of people all coming to a special event all at the same time say from 5 to 8 pm or park and ride where people are going to park there for a longer time. Some people come to Whyte Ave for an hour, some for two or three hours, others maybe a bit longer. Its more of a solution looking for a problem at this point in time. Perhaps those who work for the city like to do this sort of thing too much, but I think it would be better if they focused their attention on solving some more current problems.

C2E Long Term Contributor

There is a ton of parking in and around Whyte, never had an issue.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Wow, some strong opinions in here about parking .

I think we can all agree, though, that the rickshaw riders all need to die. I live near the Fringe Festival, and you would not believe how annoying "Would you like to go for a RIDE, sir? Would you like to go for a RIDE, sir?" gets when you hear it on repeat every time you walk close. They're worse than the "Sir? SIR? For you!" people at the malls!

I went into the Gummi Boutique shortly before they closed, and the girl told me they were just moving west a bit- the new location will be more suited to them, as the current one has a back room that is ENTIRELY too big for what they need. The new place will have cheaper rent, and they'll be able to have ice cream, since the owners of that building don't ALSO own the ice cream stand "What's The Scoop?" We also pretty much agreed that the location for the GB isn't very good- it's a retail spot shoved in amidst several eateries and bars, so there's little crossover traffic on that side- the fact that the spot was a "Kiss Of Death" for any retailer taking over that space for a couple of years should have been a sign. Whyte is MUCH busier for casual passers by just a block or two up.

Where exactly is Gummi opening?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Not sure- even their Facebook doesn't say. It's just further up Whyte than they used to be.

Mist is so very close to opening
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The DQ space is being reconstructed - to what, no idea.
    Remedy has shut down, presumably getting ready for a move to Raymond Block.
    The space next door to Malt & Mortar is now available for sublease.
    Cacao70 is having a soft opening today, not sure if/when a grand opening is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Cacao70 is having a soft opening today, not sure if/when a grand opening is happening.
    So, the DQ space was up for a pot store; they didn't win the lottery, but are apparently going to go medicinal, as is the old Orange Market space across the street. This annoys me, as I think the rules for medicinal and recreation stores (200m away from each other) should be the same. I believe the space next to Malt & Mortar was also supposed to be a pot store, but they didn't win the lottery either, which explains why it's a sublease.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

The Dominion Hotel has now finished renovations, is now sitting empty and waiting patiently for tenants.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    So, the DQ space was up for a pot store; they didn't win the lottery, but are apparently going to go medicinal, as is the old Orange Market space across the street. This annoys me, as I think the rules for medicinal and recreation stores (200m away from each other) should be the same. I believe the space next to Malt & Mortar was also supposed to be a pot store, but they didn't win the lottery either, which explains why it's a sublease.
    I could be wrong but I thought I heard Shoppers Drug Mart was going to have a manopoly on medicinal majaruana.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

No, not a monopoly.

First One is Always Free

Yes, many of the spaces that were leased were potential cannabis locations, but many of them have not been approved. My understanding was that the old DQ was going to me a marijuana "experience" store (whatever that means).
    I would guess that the National Access Cannabis folks are likely going medical, as that is their background and likely the back up plan if they don't get a license.
    Updates on cannabis retail store licenses approved, etc is here https://www.edmonton.ca/city_governm...-received.aspx
    Three stores have been approved for Old Strathcona, a few have appealed.

Remedy will be an anchor tenant in Raymond block.
    Passionate about small business, community & mature neighbourhoods. ED @ Old Strathcona Business Assoc.

Looking over my list posted in the pot thread there doesn't seem to be any surprises as to who was approved, and who wasn't, for the stores around Whyte. A few of the rejected ones have appealed, though looking at where they are I'm surprised some of them are appealing, especially The Green Room which is across from a park and would be covered by the 200m buffer for 2 other applications.

Here's a color-coded map showing the pot store applications, and their status:
    https://fusiontables.google.com/Data...cddNI#map:id=3

28 applications are from Kerry Rempel.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

First One is Always Free

Thanks for this Gord!

Here's a color-coded map showing the pot store applications, and their status:
    https://fusiontables.google.com/Data...cddNI#map:id=3
    Passionate about small business, community & mature neighbourhoods. ED @ Old Strathcona Business Assoc.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    28 applications are from Kerry Rempel.
    Yup, those are all the Liquor Depot applications - he's their VP.

BTW what do y'alls think of that NB road adjacent to Calgary Trail? There's plans to get rid of it.

What will they turn it into? I find it pretty much a waste of space to be honest.

Some vacant spots up for grabs in Old Strathcona

Next door to Blackbyrd

former KEG

NW corner of Whyte/108 St

Some of these will be tricky to find tenants for- old banks have a REALLY distinct, fortress-like set up that isn't really conducive to retail. The Keg location is a block away from the strip and VERY large- a total nightmare for any restaurant without a pre-set fanbase. Almost everything else around here is a super-cheapy thing, like a dollar store or No Frills.

Looks like the last one has already been sold. Curious to know who bought it, and if there are any specific plans for the site already.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

C2E SME

The ideal thing I'd love to see would be to see it levelled and a new multi use two or three storey built in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    Looks like the last one has already been sold. Curious to know who bought it, and if there are any specific plans for the site already.
    Beljan bought the old Scotia on 108th street, so you know they will do something cool with it.

The only tricky part of an old bank building is the vault. One of the new pot shops chose an old bank building specifically because it had a vault. Back in the days when OA Computers was getting into the Internet biz (as OANet), they had a data center in the basement of the Royal Bank that used to be at Jasper and 105 St.

But that's a better site to just rubble and rebuild.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

First One is Always Free

The approved permit is for Urban Sparq Hospitality for a cannabis retail store.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post

I guess they'll keep the bank vault to lock up their weed at the end of the night

Quote Originally Posted by Cherklass View Post
    Pretty sure the former BMO isn't going to be a cannabis store.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

First One is Always Free

According to the city of Edmonton's website where cannabis applications are listed it is: https://www.edmonton.ca/city_governm...-received.aspx

9 Mark Fitton 10806 82 Avenue NW Approved

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    Pretty sure the former BMO isn't going to be a cannabis store.

Yeah, looks like the cannabis store permit for that area is the old Strathcona Registry spot - 10806 82 Ave. The bank is 10802 82 Ave.

Also worth noting is that the City of Edmonton now has a Cannabis Retail Sales Location overlay on maps.edmonton.ca. It shows all the buffer zones based on schools, parks, libraries, and currently-granted applications. Pretty neat, and it's a lot easier to view than when I was manually making circles around the maps to create my list of possible locations of shops based on the applications in the Whyte Ave area.

Also interesting to note is that should that project go ahead in the parking lot on 80 ave and 104-105 streets, a pot shop could open there. It's far enough away from all the parks/schools and other stores in the area.
    Last edited by Gord Lacey; 30-10-2018 at 10:31 AM.

First One is Always Free

Thanks for clarifying that Gord. I forgot that used to be the registry.
    Yeah this map is really helpful https://maps.edmonton.ca/map.aspx?lo...is%20Locations

And, if you're referencing the Scona Parking lot site, yes it could have cannabis retail too. That isn't even likely going for rezoning until the New Year, but will have 23 commercial retail units, so lots of opportunity.
    I was told by someone at the city that the likelihood of any of the applications in the core heritage area getting approved were slim, due to the park, library and schools.

Yeah, looks like the permit for that location is the old Strathcona Registry spot - 10806 82 Ave.

Also worth noting is that the City of Edmonton now has a Cannabis Retail Sales Location overlay on maps.edmonton.ca. It shows all the buffer zones based on schools, parks, libraries, and currently-granted applications. Pretty neat, and it's a lot easier to view than when I was manually making circles around the maps to create my list of possible locations of shops based on the applications in the Whyte Ave area.

Also interesting to note is that should that project go ahead in the parking lot on 80 ave and 104-105 streets, a pot shop could open there. It's far enough away from all the parks/schools and other stores in the area.

I was told by someone at the city that the likelihood of any of the applications in the core heritage area getting approved were slim, due to the park, library and schools.
    Yeah, there wasn't a whole lot of space that was open right along Whyte Ave. It looks like the "best" place to have a shop along Whyte would be The Buckingham building. It's the most central location that wouldn't be covered by any of the other exclusions. I wonder whether the owners realize that?

Tim Hortons is undergoing a renovation. Opens Nov 24 or so.

Looks like the Frozen Yogurt shop by 104th closed at some point. That’s kinda sad, but I really haven’t gone there in at least two years, I bet. It just got a bit too pricey and I was always around the wrong times.

Tutti Fruitti. My son is still upset about it. The building has new owners (Beljan), so I'm not sure if their lease was up or not. I honestly have no idea how they made money there; we went in often, and were usually the only people in there. That space is HUGE; it goes waaaay back to where the (disgusting) bathroom was, and could go a bit further as well.

Cally's Teas also closed; I believe Cally retired.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Cally went bankrupt.

Did she? Well, that's too bad. As much as I liked supporting her (for the small amount of tea I bought), it took FAR too long to buy anything in the store. You want to get 3-4 different kinds of tea? It would take about 20-30 mins to get the tea, measure it out, package it up, weigh it, write it down on the receipt, and then pay for it. I expect that turned a lot of people off from shopping there.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Yes. Feel bad for her given she’s hardly in her 20s anymore. I don’t know if she really fully knew what she was doing. Her business plan must have been weak as she didn’t change anything even when things weren’t going well and hadn’t been going well for a long time. Heard staff went a while without pay but that’s just here-say. ****** deal but if you aren’t going to do what you need to in order to make money, you best close before you really lose EVERYTHING.

Yep, feel bad for Cally too. Used to shop there when she was located on 99th Street.

Likely was paying much higher rent on Whyte, but didn't adjust her business plan to account for higher cost-of-doing-business.
    ... gobsmacked

Wash n' Dry laundromat next to the Brick and Whiskey is closed and moved out. That stretch of retail is incredibly useful. Important even.

Aw, nuts- Gummi Boutique will not be reopening after all- it's gone for good. I just asked on their Facebook page, and they said "We are not reopening in Edmonton after all".

I asked why, so we'll see if they respond. I'd bet anything it's because of the extraordinary rents.

Edit: They responded- "We decided to amalgamate our stores into one location and focus on that and our online store. Super concentrated Gummi goodness!"

So basically they figured it wasn't worth the cost .
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 04-12-2018 at 12:52 AM.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021