Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Annoying Driving habits in Edmonton

Default Annoying Driving habits in Edmonton

Has anyone noticed any bad driving habits in Edmonton? I've lived in Edmonton for about 5 years now and have been noticing some annoying driving habits. Two common bad driving habits:

1) Lack of Signaling
    When i first started learning to drive, one of the first things that i learned was to signal for a lane change. I see other drivers that don't signal EVERYTIME I drive. It seems either 75% of people in Edmonton never learned how to signal or they seem to have a defective signal lights. I just don't understand why people don't use it? Is it hard to turn on/off a signal light?
    The signal lights are there to signal to other drivers about what you are about to do. Many times, i see drivers cut into other lanes without signaling and causing accidents or "close-call" incidents followed by raging car honks. Short signaling is just as bad. If people are going to signal for 1 second, they may as well not signal at all. Signaling requires time for others to react to what a driver is about to do.
    I always get a good laugh when i see people who don't signal for a lane change (and cut in front of other cars without warning) but they'll signal in a lane where they have to turn. This is a big brain twister to me. Why would someone not use a signal to change lanes while putting others safety at risk but use it on a turn-only lane? Who are they really signaling to in a turn only lane? i mean other drivers would assume they are turning even if they didn't signal on a turn-only lane but they cant assume that on a lane change...

2) Slowing down before signaling
    Some drivers don't have any problems signaling, they just have an annoying habit of putting a very late signal. This drives me nuts when drivers suddenly slow down in front of me with little warning and signal after they've come slowed down to turn. Is it really that hard to figure out that reversing other of this procedure can cause alot less stress to other drivers and prevent less collisions as well. Solution is simple, turn on the signal light first. This gives others a fair warning about what you are about to do so i can slow down or w/e in order to prevent and rear-ending accidents.

I, personally, will always try to avoid these bad habits in order to attempt to persuade others by my actions on the road. This little rant is not to point fingers at anyone specifically, this is something i want drivers to take notice of on the road to increase driving awareness. With little effort on these very simple tasks, i feel that we can make the roads of Edmonton much safer.

I hope others will post other annoying driving habits in this forum in order to promote driving awareness. Thanks

C2E Long Term Contributor

*** yawn ***

I'm sure we've already got like a dozen topics on this in just the Rant section alone.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 25-06-2010 at 08:53 AM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ find the topic, and post it, and I'm sure a crafty mod will merge the topics.

I'd rather C2E than work!

annoying bad driving habits in Edmonton is really nothing new and it has been like this for several years now.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Annoying habit: Inability to merge. Both in traffic and in forums. Case in point: this thread.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    *** yawn ***

I'm sure we've already got like a dozen topics on this in just the Rant section alone.
    way to dismiss someone for their valid concerns. if you can't be bothered why respond?

Anyway, my most annoying one is when I'm walking. The little walking dude is green and someone turning right coasts right in front of me when I step on the curb. That's when they get a boot to their vehicle, or whatever heavy object I might be carrying

Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    Anyway, my most annoying one is when I'm walking. The little walking dude is green and someone turning right coasts right in front of me when I step on the curb. That's when they get a boot to their vehicle, or whatever heavy object I might be carrying

Yeah, no kidding.

Top_Dawg has now adopted defensive walking techniques.

A couple of months ago Top_Dawg was on a 100 ave & 116 street right under the Lemarchand.

The light turned green and he almost completed crossing north.

A young poodle driving a SUV west along 100 ave was signalling a right hand turn onto 116 street.

Top_Dawg was directly in front of her and she hardly even slowed down.

Just continued as if he wasn't even there.

Top_Dawg had to run and jump up on the curb.

And then he realized that she was driving into the sun.

Still, they should pay more attention - she was completely oblivious to him walking on the road.

Almost killed poor Top_Dawg.

C2E SME

Personally I dislike how aggressive drivers are in general in Alberta. It's like it's a race out there and points are awarded for position. If you, god forbid, let someone in in front of you you'll lose valuable points! Even if you change lanes and there's a solid 4-5 car lengths between you and the car behind you in the lane you changed in to, many drivers here take that as a personal offense. How dare that person intrude upon MY lane!

I drive fairly quickly, however I have no problem letting someone in when they signal and make a decent lane change. But as others have mentioned, it can be very frustrating when you do that and the other person instead of taking the opening, slows down further or just doesn't take it. But I suppose given that most drivers would rather cut them off than let them in, they have reason to be cautious.

Interestingly, the only two actual vehicular accidents that Ewan McGregor was involved with on the Long Way Round were in Calgary, and he was quite outspoken at the time that drivers in our fair province were far and away the worst he had encountered in terms of aggressiveness and courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Personally I dislike how aggressive drivers are in general in Alberta. It's like it's a race out there and points are awarded for position. If you, god forbid, let someone in in front of you you'll lose valuable points! Even if you change lanes and there's a solid 4-5 car lengths between you and the car behind you in the lane you changed in to, many drivers here take that as a personal offense. How dare that person intrude upon MY lane!

I drive fairly quickly, however I have no problem letting someone in when they signal and make a decent lane change. But as others have mentioned, it can be very frustrating when you do that and the other person instead of taking the opening, slows down further or just doesn't take it. But I suppose given that most drivers would rather cut them off than let them in, they have reason to be cautious.

Interestingly, the only two actual vehicular accidents that Ewan McGregor was involved with on the Long Way Round were in Calgary, and he was quite outspoken at the time that drivers in our fair province were far and away the worst he had encountered in terms of aggressiveness and courtesy.
    Haha, Marcel, as an avid motorcyclist and currently living in Alberta, I've seen that show and remember that quote. I know not a knock on every driver in the province but funny just the same considering where they rode in the world.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Pedestrians are losers too. I *never* see people even look before crossing the street. With heads hung low, staring at the ground, they just go. I swear they think "if I can't see it, it can't hurt me."

At any proper crossing I'll always stop for a pedestrian, but a little eye contact, and perhaps a smile and a wave to thank drivers for not running them down would go a long way to build some mutual respect in society.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Pedestrians are losers too. I *never* see people even look before crossing the street. With heads hung low, staring at the ground, they just go. I swear they think "if I can't see it, it can't hurt me."

At any proper crossing I'll always stop for a pedestrian, but a little eye contact, and perhaps a smile and a wave to thank drivers for not running them down would go a long way to build some mutual respect in society.
    ^ so true... these people would be eaten alive in any other major city...Paris, NY, Mexico, Rome...they'd just be plowed mercilessly...they owe their lives to living in Canada..

My personal driving pet peeve is when you're driving on the passing lane, someone from the right lane just moves to your lane to supossedly pass the vehicle ahead of him, only to slow down at the same speed of the car he intended to pass, thus slowing down the entire left lane...i see these maroons every day...i wish they'd be hit by lighting or mauled by a pitbull..i hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by CigarHippo View Post
    ...i wish they'd be hit by lighting or mauled by a pitbull..i hate them.

That's a classic CH !

C2E Hard Core Contributor

ITT: people who think bad driving is somehow localized to Edmonton. no way could there be just as many bad drivers in other cities and you only choose to notice Edmonton drivers cause a) you dont get out much, b) different driving styles automatically = bad or c) your just trolling.

My pet peeve: Drivers who blindly pull out of a side street and right in front of you, then have the discourtesy to amble along in front of you. Meanwhile, you check your mirror and see nothing behind you for a couple of blocks. Can't these imbeciles wait until you drive by, then pull out safely.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Not so much a bad driving habit... more a bad parking habit. When you think about it it's such an easy concept to grasp. PARK BETWEEN THE LINES STUPID I watched a member of the welding truck society takes 2 spots the other day. Meanwhile 3 spots away from him was another double spot parker. What the ????????
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

FYI I've drove in Vancouver, Toronto, and Saskatoon many times.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    My pet peeve: Drivers who blindly pull out of a side street and right in front of you, then have the discourtesy to amble along in front of you. Meanwhile, you check your mirror and see nothing behind you for a couple of blocks. Can't these imbeciles wait until you drive by, then pull out safely.
    This happens to me quite often. And they don't pull out blindly. I know they see me coming yet pull out anyways and force me to step on the brakes or change into the next lane. I say if you are going to pull out into the lane accelerate so the oncoming driver doesn't have to step (or slam) on the brakes or take evasive manoeuvers.

grish

when I saw the heading I though: "What do the Edmonton drivers do that other drivers don't?" Then I started reading the original rant and others that follow and thought: "Is that it? I guess some Edmonton drivers are guilty of this, but this is not a unique flaw. Not by a long shot. Is this really worth ranting about as an Edmonton trait? Perhaps a general "annoying driving habits" is more appropriate."

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

I totally agree. Of course there are bad drivers around the world but there does seem to be a unique type of aggression in Alberta. It's the only place I have driven where people will actually speed up when they see you signal to attempt to change into "their" lane.

ahhh....this is a classic here in Edmonton
    Haven't seen this done so frequently as here... i've driven for extended periods of time in two dozen major cities and only here this is done constantly, which adds to the almost iron clad theory that Edmonton has some of the worst drivers in the world..seriously.

same as the "if I nose out ,you will let me in, if you don't let me in you're a Richard's Cranium" syndrome

This is related to the situation where a driver coming along a freeway sees a vehicle coming in from a merge lane and absloutely refuses to move out (if safe to do so) to allow the merging driver a smooth entry onto the freeway. Another RC variant.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Or stopping at a red light meters behind the stop line. Stop at the stop sign, if there
    are sensors in the road stopping way before may not trigger a cycle of green.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Here's a new one: stopping on the wrong side of the LRT barriers, or under the barrier, hoping it doesn't come down.

Someone's gonna get a Darwinian award for that one of these years.

Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    Or stopping at a red light meters behind the stop line. Stop at the stop sign, if there
    Haha, I see this so often: a vehicle - usually a big ol' pickup truck - stops way past the line, blocking the crosswalk, missing the sensor completely, and sits there for ten minutes wondering why the light doesn't change.

Brilliant.
    Strathcona City Separatist

Another stop line farce, usually on a side street adjoining a major road where no lights are installed, is how far back the stop line is painted from the intersection. In most cases stopping at the stop line will give you no view at all of what's coming along on the major road. So you have to creep forward well beyond the line if you're to make a safe entry.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Left turns from side streets onto major roads one lane at a time.

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    Not only that...I often see cars stopped at an instersection 10 or more feet behind the car in front, which has the effect of blocking access to the turning lanes for the cars behind them.

This also seems to be a western habit.

Here's another one. Drivers who, on a green, intending to make a left turn, barely get into the intersection when reasonably three average cars could be accommodated in that space. The timid fellow then waits for an inordinately huge gap in oncoming traffic before proceeding with his left turn, which then leaves a longer queue waiting for the next green. Talk about create congestion.

And another one, though not that frequent, but something I had never witnessed before coming to Edmonton. Two drivers coming from oppoosite directions who stop for a chit chat in the middle of the road. True, I've only seen this on residential streets, but a habit is a habit and who's to say a busier thoroughfare would be off limits to them? Still, could be worse. They might whip out their cellphones and do the same.

Ya want another bonehead play? Thought so. When I've driven in the city centre, I've noticed vehicles parked with their flashers on while they wait to pick someone up from work, oblivious of their proximity to a bus stop or even the fact that they're in a no-parking zone.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E SME

Another stop line farce, usually on a side street adjoining a major road where no lights are installed, is how far back the stop line is painted from the intersection. In most cases stopping at the stop line will give you no view at all of what's coming along on the major road. So you have to creep forward well beyond the line if you're to make a safe entry.
    Yeah I hate to brake it to you (pun intended!), but that's proper driving practice. You stop at the stop or signal line, and then advance slowly while observing traffic and ensuring it is safe to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by howie
    Here's another one. Drivers who, on a green, intending to make a left turn, barely get into the intersection when reasonably three average cars could be accommodated in that space. The timid fellow then waits for an inordinately huge gap in oncoming traffic before proceeding with his left turn, which then leaves a longer queue waiting for the next green. Talk about create congestion.
    And again, that's proper and safe driving technique. Only a single vehicle is supposed to proceed in to an intersection to turn left at a time, in general terms. A yellow light is not intended as a "mini-left hand turn" signal phase. Of course in practice a second vehicle being past the signal stop line and proceeding on the yellow isn't a big deal, however people take this to an extreme with a third or even fourth vehicle entering the intersection well after the light turned yellow and often even red.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 29-06-2010 at 08:05 PM.

^ Until coming here, I hadn't seen stop lines marked so far back as not to be able to see approaching traffic on the major road. Not proceeding until safe to do so is only common sense. Maybe Edmonton has a surplus of drivers without that basic trait.

On signalled intersections, the sheer width of many intersections here would make the one car at a time scenario a little ridiculous. It merely induces backups. Again one's own common sense would tell you what is a reasonable time and space factor, and I agree some do make stupid assessments on that count by diving into the intersection after yellow and sometimes on red. Poor driving technique again.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Addicted to C2E

And another one, though not that frequent, but something I had never witnessed before coming to Edmonton. Two drivers coming from oppoosite directions who stop for a chit chat in the middle of the road.
    This is very common in small towns, but I have yet to witness it in Edmonton.

Top 10 dumbest moves drivers need to stop making | Driving
    http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/top...to-stop-making

I totally agree. Of course there are bad drivers around the world but there does seem to be a unique type of aggression in Alberta. It's the only place I have driven where people will actually speed up when they see you signal to attempt to change into "their" lane.
    I usually leave myself ample room to the vehicle in front of me...been a good driving habit I picked up as a teen. Sometimes I'll have someone in the next lane beside me start speeding up and after some 20+ years of driving I know the intention is to cut me off to get into the buffer zone ahead of me. This is when I'll speed up and not let them in. I have received lots of shaking of fists and middle fingers because of it. Yeah, I'm the jerk.

These people have such entitlement issues that if they used their signal light then I would gladly ease off the gas and give them room. But nope - I'm the prick because I don't want to get cut off. It's like using a signal light, instead of being law, is merely a suggestion in this province.

Partially Addicted to C2E

I was the victim of a classic Edmonton-lane change Friday night. Driving north in the far right bus lane on 97 St., just north of 122 Ave., I see a pickup in the center lane right next to me veer into my lane, I hit the horn, bam, my Santa Fe now has $5400 damage. I nearly get creamed at least twice a week in this city, seems to gets worse every month. In the past five years I've had two cars written off (red light runner then a stop sign runner) and now this. Sickening really.

Quote Originally Posted by Norender View Post
    I was the victim of a classic Edmonton-lane change Friday night. Driving north in the far right bus lane on 97 St., just north of 122 Ave., I see a pickup in the center lane right next to me veer into my lane, I hit the horn, bam, my Santa Fe now has $5400 damage. I nearly get creamed at least twice a week in this city, seems to gets worse every month. In the past five years I've had two cars written off (red light runner then a stop sign runner) and now this. Sickening really.
    That really sucks. I know in the last 3 days I've seen what seems like more stupid behavior than normal on the roads. Just even today coming home from work, a guy in a pickup truck just about rear ends me, then tries to pass on the right, where the lane is just ending, then pulls back behind me, and slows way down. Not to mention drifting in and out of his lane on the Whitemud.

Time to buy a dash cam.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Besides the fact that no matter how fast you drive, someone will try to pass, my two major annoyances are drivers who begin their turns and then signal. What's the point? I hate it when I stop at a red light, and the vehicle behind me comes to a stop, practically touching my rear bumper. If someone hits him/her from behind, I'll be hit as well.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Major annoyance: Drivers who pull out from a side road right in front of you when there's a good clear stretch of empty road behind you.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Not just an Edmonton thing but an overall Albertan thing - I've noticed more and more people overtaking on solid lane markings of the highway, especially younger drivers.

Every driver should know that you are only allowed to overtake the car ahead of you if there are broken lane markings, so I have to wonder who is teaching people how to drive these days.

I encountered this just the other day while I was driving north on Hwy 44. Some young chick tried me on a solid line in the 80 km/hr zone just north of the Yellowhead. I simply sped up and pointed to the line out the window. That was to no avail so I simply gunned it until another string of cars coming the other way finally forced the twit to cease her overtake attempt.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Major annoyance: Drivers who pull out from a side road right in front of you when there's a good clear stretch of empty road behind you.
    Oh how did I ever forget about this one. Yes, especially when they pull in front of you and then take their sweet time to even get up to the limit.

For the love of Gawd people, use your freaking turn signals. I am NOT a mind reader. Oh yeah, don't get me started on your merging abilities.

Not just an Edmonton thing but an overall Albertan thing - I've noticed more and more people overtaking on solid lane markings of the highway, especially younger drivers.

Every driver should know that you are only allowed to overtake the car ahead of you if there are broken lane markings, so I have to wonder who is teaching people how to drive these days.

I encountered this just the other day while I was driving north on Hwy 44. Some young chick tried me on a solid line in the 80 km/hr zone just north of the Yellowhead. I simply sped up and pointed to the line out the window. That was to no avail so I simply gunned it until another string of cars coming the other way finally forced the twit to cease her overtake attempt.
    1. Responding to someone's bad driving with bad driving of your own doesn't help matters. If someone wants to pass, let them pass. Even if it is illegal and/or unsafe. Accelerating to try to stop them from passing you just makes the situation more unsafe as the person trying to pass is now spending more time in the wrong lane at a higher speed. If someone's bad passing judgement leads to a collision, you don't want it to happen anywhere near you.

2. I think this is a "truth in traffic signalling" problem. In the same way that speed limits are broken by a substantial fraction of drivers (a majority in some places) because they are usually set below the design speed of the road (usually by 10-20 km/h, but sometimes by as much as 30-40 km/h), I suspect that passing on solid lines has become more common due to situations like that on highway 44, where the road is painted with solid lines despite the fact that one can clearly see far enough ahead to pass safely. This should never happen.
    Last edited by Titanium48; 01-07-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    Besides the fact that no matter how fast you drive, someone will try to pass, my two major annoyances are drivers who begin their turns and then signal. What's the point? I hate it when I stop at a red light, and the vehicle behind me comes to a stop, practically touching my rear bumper. If someone hits him/her from behind, I'll be hit as well.
    Yes, you could be hit in that situation, but it won't be your fault and it won't be a very hard hit (unless the driver two cars back was really speeding, in which case an extra meter wouldn't help anyways. More annoying to me are the drivers who insist on leaving over a car length in front of them at a red light and thereby block access to turn lanes. I'm all for safe following distance, but at 0 km/h, any time you choose corresponds to a distance of 0 m.

I get annoyed when people don't use the de-acceleration lanes to slow down, instead braking on the regular lane, and then no longer braking once entering the de-acceleration lane (to turn left or right), especially when no one is in that lane already and there is plenty of lane to do so.

While i empathize with your situation, why is it classified as a "classic Edmonton lane change?" Stupidity is everywhere not just Edmonton, and stupidity also move to Edmonton from elsewhere...
    I guess, in your eyes, only in Edmontonian would do that, and we're the only ones that get into accidents right?
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 01-07-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post

1. Responding to someone's bad driving with bad driving of your own doesn't help matters. If someone wants to pass, let them pass. Even if it is illegal and/or unsafe. Accelerating to try to stop them from passing you just makes the situation more unsafe as the person trying to pass is now spending more time in the wrong lane at a higher speed. If someone's bad passing judgement leads to a collision, you don't want it to happen anywhere near you.
    I should have stated that the attempted overtake was happening just as when the 80 kph zone was ending and 100 kph max was going into effect, so I started speeding up to match that. Besides she was driving a puny lil econobox that could never catch up to my turbocharged beast hah!

2. I think this is a "truth in traffic signalling" problem. In the same way that speed limits are broken by a substantial fraction of drivers (a majority in some places) because they are usually set below the design speed of the road (usually by 10-20 km/h, but sometimes by as much as 30-40 km/h), I suspect that passing on solid lines has become more common due to situations like that on highway 44, where the road is painted with solid lines despite the fact that one can clearly see far enough ahead to pass safely. This should never happen.
    Solid lines are often there for a good reason. On this stretch of Hwy 44 its because of busy and unsignalled intersections to acreages, golf courses, industrial areas and what not.

There are a huge number of areas on this provinces highways that make no sense with the solid lines.

I have learned to completely ignore them. I pass when it safe. be it a solid line or not. ive seen WAY too many slotted lines that are unsafe to pass on as well so its not just the solids that need looking at.

There's very likely a good reason for all those solid lines. Too bad you think your better than everyone else and the rules don't apply to you himser. Hope th RCMP catch up with your unsafe driving. Passing on a solid is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    There's very likely a good reason for all those solid lines. Too bad you think your better than everyone else and the rules don't apply to you himser. Hope th RCMP catch up with your unsafe driving. Passing on a solid is dangerous.
    It can be. if the solid should be there. it can also be dangeriou to pass on a slotted if the slotted line should not be there. Lines are not brick walls. (how many places in this city do not have lines at all? mot arterial roads here have at least one section with missing lines.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    While i empathize with your situation, why is it classified as a "classic Edmonton lane change?" Stupidity is everywhere not just Edmonton, and stupidity also move to Edmonton from elsewhere...
    I guess, in your eyes, only in Edmontonian would do that, and we're the only ones that get into accidents right?
    Because I see boneheaded moves like this on a constant, well daily, basis in Edmonton ... along with redlight running, u-turns in intersections (I nearly hit a motocyclist last week who did this on my green light, and when I honked due to the near miss he gave me pursuit), a very high percentage of drivers not using signal lights, and, something that happens ALL of the time: people veering into lanes without checking ... Edmonton drivers are notoriously horrible, my 49 years of living here along with travelling to numerous places elsewhere in North America verifies that. And the 'stupidity' that's moved here from other areas are also Edmontonians, regardless of their roots.

And, no, obviously not 'only edmontonians do that' and, obviously no, we're not the only ones who get into accidents ... but we have a consistently terrible track record in this city and it seems to be getting worse. I'm calling it as I see it from experience. Perhaps you disagree, But everybody I know who drives, here and elsewhere, agrees with me. But I admit, it seems to be an Alberta thing.

I swear the best drivers in Western North America are from the Kootanies in BC. Alberta is terrible. did a 8,000km road trip once. and in 2 week of driving.. i could tell we were back in Alberta.

Default Memo to: City Hall and EPS, Photo Radar is not policing

I truly believe that the reason we have such bad drivers is directly related to the lack of a significant police presence on our roads.

You can drive for days in this city and not see a police officer on the road. At the police station the parking lot is full of cruisers.

Traffic duty is looked down upon by the rank and file. We need the police chief to recognize that pulling over bad drivers often leads to secondary offences, such as: lack of insurance, no drivers licence, warrants for arrest, stolen goods, drug offences etc.

Here is what happened when the city of Peoria IL increased traffic enforcement

Over a three year period (1994 through 1996), Peoria experienced significant reductions in violent crimes, property crimes and traffic crashes. How did they do it? New leadership brought traffic enforcement back to the forefront as a valued way of doing business . . . and got results.

Traffic Enforcement Results 1994-1996
    Traffic Citations Issued - Increased 24%
    Officer Initiated Activity - Increased 28%
    Custodial Arrests - Increased 16%
    DUI Arrests - Increased 11%
    Traffic Crashes - Decreased 21%
    Citizen Generated Calls - Decreased 6%
    Part One Crime Index - Decreased 12%
    Violent Crime - Decreased 10%
    Property Crimes - Decreased 12%

Prior to the appointment of Superintendent Kelly, traffic enforcement was not emphasized as an important law enforcement tool. Responsive patrol strategies were the accepted strategy . . . wait until it happens, then we'll respond. Peoria Police Department was not the only agency to use a responsive strategy. Some agencies still use it today as their primary enforcement strategy.

Superintendent Kelly operates differently. Proactive traffic enforcement combined with community oriented policing and problem oriented policing has resulted in significant improvements of traffic and crime trends within Peoria.

Because the two strategies were used back-to-back within the same city, a unique opportunity to compare them emerged. Superintendent Kelly had a wealth of data to use (both prior to his appointment and after), but no one to effectively interpret or report on the statistical findings. Kelly re-energized the Office of Strategic Planning, hiring Ron Henson to manage the Office and provide statistical analysis of the data. To make the analysis meaningful and timely, the computers and software were upgraded and improved. The strategy, personnel and support changes set the stage for The Peoria Experience.

Report from the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/enforce/peoria/
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I've seen a lot more traffic enforcement in edmonton over the last 12 months than I've seen in 10 years combined. Times are changing with EPs

The city of Peoria IL was probably too busy harassing people who dare to criticize the mayor so other enforcement numbers probably went down.
    http://www.pjstar.com/article/20140416/News/140419123

As for following too close (tailgating) it is somewhat Darwinianly enforced. If you follow too close you are far more likely to run into someone, you will be found liable and your insurance goes up. If you give enough room you have a chance to avoid running into the person in front.

What that article didn't mention was stopping on ramps, if there is an acceleration lane there is pretty much no need for you to ever stop as you can match speed with the freeway find and opening and merge.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    The city of Peoria IL was probably too busy harassing people who dare to criticize the mayor so other enforcement numbers probably went down.
    http://www.pjstar.com/article/20140416/News/140419123
    What has that to do with driving habits or enforcement?

Because I see boneheaded moves like this on a constant, well daily, basis in Edmonton ... along with redlight running, u-turns in intersections (I nearly hit a motocyclist last week who did this on my green light, and when I honked due to the near miss he gave me pursuit), a very high percentage of drivers not using signal lights, and, something that happens ALL of the time: people veering into lanes without checking ... Edmonton drivers are notoriously horrible, my 49 years of living here along with travelling to numerous places elsewhere in North America verifies that. And the 'stupidity' that's moved here from other areas are also Edmontonians, regardless of their roots.

And, no, obviously not 'only edmontonians do that' and, obviously no, we're not the only ones who get into accidents ... but we have a consistently terrible track record in this city and it seems to be getting worse. I'm calling it as I see it from experience. Perhaps you disagree, But everybody I know who drives, here and elsewhere, agrees with me. But I admit, it seems to be an Alberta thing.
    It's everywhere my friend. Stupitidy is not an isolated Edm phenomema. Give yourself a good check!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Police are a finite resource if they are wasting their time enforcing the mayor's wishes they can't be doing the jobs they should be doing. It is a matter of setting priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Police are a finite resource if they are wasting their time enforcing the mayor's wishes they can't be doing the jobs they should be doing. It is a matter of setting priorities.
    Can you be specific what wishes are from the Mayor? As far as I know, radar traps do not use EPS and I don't think anything was significantly different with past Mayors or Police Chiefs regarding the number of officers on the road doing traffic duty.

speed traps (laser/radar) still use EPS. It's the photo-radar that doesn't, its usually a commissionaire security guard that does that.

EPRT - it seems EPS has listened to you, they seem to once again have a traffic division that's actively being used.

Hopefully. I actively sent out the Peoria experience from an AMA article and other examples including Toronto's Red Flag Days where the police clamped down on traffic violations on the Don Valley Parkway (parking lot) such as passing on the shoulder or tailgating etc. and 70% of the drivers pulled over had secondary offences. I sent letter to two acting police Chiefs in the past. Maybe I was just one more concerned citizen that at the time, there was not a single active police officer on proactive traffic duty.

It's everywhere my friend. Stupitidy is not an isolated Edm phenomema. Give yourself a good check!
    Yessir, but there's a very high percentage of driver stupidity (not 'Stupitidy' btw) in Edmonton ... And give myself a check? Nice try amigo.

I get what you may be implying though ... Edmonton's 'the' up and coming city in North America. We need to quash any negativity associated with this city, regardless of any truisms that may exist. I mean I actually coined new local word! Perhaps it's not very original, like California Lane Change (God forbid, those thin-skinned Californians must be in an uproar), but I hear ya lound and clear ...

Now, time to shake the dust off and go give myself a good check

Drivers that spot a pedestrian approaching in a view obstructed area at the last second at what is not a marked crosswalk and do not stop on a screeching dime because some jogger wants to run across the road and not break stride.

Yeah that jerk was me today, I kept going, you, apparently being aware of Darwinism stopped. Thankfully.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^ Sadly I agree with your sentiments. Sometimes I wish I had two attachments to my mirrors, large rubber arms with an open hand that would slap the pedestrian that walks into traffic without looking or concern. Some of these Darwin fodder do not realize that you cannot stop 1500 kg's moving at 50 km/h on a dime especially in winter. You come to a screeching halt to save their life and they don't bother to look up past their hoodie and texting. You tap the horn and they give you the finger even though they were in the wrong.

Almost witnessed an accident yesterday. Dumb teenage girl stopped at a stop sign but doesn't look left or right before proceeding to a left turn. An oncoming truck steps on break to avoid hitting them. Then they stop at another stop sign and does exactly the same thing and another oncoming truck also steps on his break to avoid hitting them. So dangerous. I hope there's no third strike for them on their way to where ever they were heading to.

I hate it when people call collisions accidents. I think fewer than 10% of collisions were accidental. Most occur because someone did something stupid.

It is considered accidental if it's not intentional I believe and very few people would intentionally hit another car...

Then why does 30% of the population drive around texting?

That's a conscience choice to drive dangerously.

I see "collision", "incident", & other blame-neutral terms far more lately.

EPS uses "collision" in their news releases.

http://www.edmontonpolice.ca/News/MediaReleases.aspx
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

And for the record, I quit calling them accidents a few years ago too. Simply put, most can be avoided by good driving habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Simply put, most can be avoided by good driving habits.
    Hear, Hear!!

most people who text and drive believe that they are not included in the subset of people who will get into an accident from texting and driving.

Quote Originally Posted by lazymonkeygod View Post
    most people who text and drive believe that they are not included in the subset of people who will get into an accident from texting and driving.

And every drunk doesn't believe they're gonna kill someone that night.

I don't understand where this is going...

Quote Originally Posted by lazymonkeygod View Post

Nope I believe in grandfathering, texting was legal for many years prior to an arbitory law was created lol jk

Quote Originally Posted by Swillv8 View Post
    Nope I believe in grandfathering, texting was legal for many years prior to an arbitory law was created lol jk
    Distracted driving laws have been a part of traffic code long before in the form of "operating a motor vehicle without due care and attention".

I could not find the older Alberta law but I found the BC version that was in force before the distracted driving laws that had to more clearly define what activities are allowed and which are not allowed while operating a motor vehicle.

BC Section 144(1)(a) MVA Careless driving prohibited

144(1) A person must not drive a motor vehicle on a highway
    (a) without due care and attention,

(b) without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway, or
    (c) at a speed that is excessive relative to the road, traffic, visibility or weather conditions.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) (a) or (b) is liable on conviction to a fine of not less than $100 and, subject to this minimum fine, section 4 of the Offence Act applies.

Here is the newer Alberta law of 2011
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...teddriving.htm

Here's one we see somewhat regularly, the last time was driving West on 16A, at the bottom of a somewhat blind hill a lady stops in the fast lane to make a left turn onto a Range Road even though there's enough room on the median to get out of the flow; evasive manoeuvres ensue fortunately 16A is not too busy at the time. Imagine this happening at night or during a snow storm . . .

A few nights ago I witnessed a nasty case of Douchebag Supreme between two trucks. I was driving south on 50th street in Beaumont coming down the hill at around 9 pm, traffic was light except for two 3/4 ton trucks ahead of me, both in the right lane. Apparently the white one in the front wasn't going fast enough (he was going the speed limit) so douche in the darker, company truck pulled out from behind him, romped on the gas and passed, cutting him off in the process because he then pulled in front of the white truck very quickly. Of course, the light they were approaching turned red in the meantime so massive braking was needed for both to avoid a collision. Nobody turned right at the light so as I'm approaching I'm thinking "wtf was the point in that?". Then buddy in the white truck decided to turn right but instead of just simply turning right, he went around the other truck on the left and drove in front of him, probably to make eye contact and flip him the bird. I didn't blame him. The best part is that there was NO traffic whatsoever, if douche wanted to pass him all he had to do was simply pass him on the left, but instead he pulled the "my balls are bigger than your balls while in my steel fortress" act. I honestly thought I was about to witness some serious road rage if one of them stepped out of their vehicle.

My only mistake was not remembering the name of the company on the side of the truck as I would have just loved to make a phone call or better yet drop by their office. Tells you how smart the dummy was, driving dangerously like that with company name and phone number plastered on the side.

My god people are idiots in this province.
    Last edited by Kitlope; 12-07-2014 at 06:52 PM.

I have telephoned a few companies when their cube vans with their name emblazoned across the side have been driving like nuts on the roads. I talk with the owners who appreciate the call from one business owner to another that their employee is acting badly. One told me that this was his third complaint for the same employee and like baseball, 3 strikes...

On another occasion I witnessed a one ton from my lumber supplier. The guy was doing about 90 on Yellowhead and 107th with his left foot out the window, resting on the mirror. His boss told me that they hired him two days before and that day will be his last.

I am encountering more and more people who turn right on a red light without stopping first. I come close to getting run over this way almost every day since I've been walking to work.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I am encountering more and more people who turn right on a red light without stopping first. I come close to getting run over this way almost every day since I've been walking to work.
    My wife who works frequently downtown said the same thing, she uses transit and walks. Last Wednesday she was nearly run over by a guy on a cell phone who ran a red straight through. Missed by about 2 feet she just saw him coming and slammed into my wife's colleague who was driving home. The entire font-end was smashed-in and bent sideways. If that imbecile hit my wife, someone else, or a group crossing they likely would've all been dead, no skid marks whatsoever. The attending officers figure he was doing around 55k, based on the damage during downtown rush hour with pedestrians and turning vehicles everywhere.

"Must get in front" mentality when it comes to cyclists, ie. passing while approaching a red light or stop sign. Must save so much time for some people...

"Must get in front" mentality when it comes to motorists, ie. passing while approaching a red light or stop sign. Must save so much time for some people...

Some people never learned anything from 'The tortoise and the hare'.

More and more drivers can't seem to find their own lanes and veering into the next lane into another vehicle.

I guess they think the lines are used to follow the road?

Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post
    More and more drivers can't seem to find their own lanes and veering into the next lane into another vehicle.
    Cell phones.

Cell phones.
    Regular Edmonton Drivers...... cell phones are not even necessary for this to happen.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

A fool on his 2 wheel deathmobile decides to squeeze between my 5 ton and the car at 1 o clock on my right missing me by inches. Had he miscalculated, his brains would have painted St Albert Trail at 60 KMH. I have driven all over this country in my 26 years driving professionally and Edmonton has the WORST drivers of any city I have ever driven in. Period. Artificial low speed limits,bad roads and poor drivers and photo radar that does NOT reduce speeding.. Yep..That's Edmonton.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

This is what I've learned so far after today's rush hour road rage:

If you're driving on fox drive and suddenly a car driving on the bus lane needs to get into your lane, rather than changing into the lane behind you where there's plenty of room, speed up and squeeze between you and the vehicle a half a car length in front of you. Then when you honk at his stupidity, he just waves his finger indicating I was in the wrong.

Yep. Edmonton at it finest.

Quote Originally Posted by Himser View Post
    Cell phones.
    Regular Edmonton Drivers...... cell phones are not even necessary for this to happen.

Agreed. I have yet to see a cellphone in their hands when this happens.

Oh, and I have noticed more and more twats smoking reefer while driving lately.

When's the fine on that going to start?

Three people going the wrong way on one-ways yesterday:

An older rav4 on 111st by the High Level who genuinely might have been lost.
    An older Camry on 111st by the UofA hospital who was definitely shortcutting.
    A raptor racing down Victoria Promenade who was definitely an *******.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Three people going the wrong way on one-ways yesterday:

An older rav4 on 111st by the High Level who genuinely might have been lost.
    An older Camry on 111st by the UofA hospital who was definitely shortcutting.
    A raptor racing down Victoria Promenade who was definitely an *******.

Was the Raptor in the bike lane ?

That would be too funny.

I've noticed an alarming increase in people running red lights. I see at least one every day. It's almost an epidemic.

Well, as per my post a month ago ($5400 damage due to an Edmonton Lane Change) I've had four more close calls in the past 10 days, exact same issue. The second last one occured a block north of where my first accident occurred. Today a young lady nearly took me out as she was attempting to merge on the Henday a good 40 meters before the merge lane ended, totally oblivious to my presence. Terrible drivers in this city, makes one paranoid.

^ and probably 30 km/h below the speed of traffic too right?

^ Nope, I had just merged from Henday onto Hwy 14 Eastbound, inside lane (apologies as I had just technically got onto 14), she was merging early onto 14 from Henday southbound, full throttle, did not even glance at me, not even when I honked. It was very obvious how she tried to rush into my lane as I clearly recall observing how much further the dashed line of the merge lane ran eastbound from her attempted entry spot. I'm quite astute about ensuring mergering traffic can get in safely.

And I can't even blame her for cellphone use.

First One is Always Free

For me the most annoying thing is the slow cars in the centre lane on the QE2. What ever happened to slower traffic staying right. These slower cars in the centre lane are creating a traffic hazzard as they force other drivers into both lanes around them. That centre lane is supposed to be the intermediate passing lane.
    Slow driving in the centre lane is actually causing the rest of the traffic to be slower and more congested. It forces large semis into the left primary passing lane. Again causing congestion, delays and issues.

^ It had been awhile since I've driven the QE2 but, due to my vacation, I've driven it on four occasions in the past three weeks ... it's not just the centre lane but the far left lane has been hijacked by slow drivers too. I know the speed limit is 80kmh for quite a stretch, but when it goes back to 110 there are far too many lunkheads puttering along at 100 or 110 in that lane, oblivious to knowing that this is the 'fast' lane. When did this start happening?

Yes that puttering along at the speed limit is so annoying.

The next one that refuses to signal,I'm going to infest his or her arm pits with hoards of fleas.

^^ Especially annoying in the fast traffic lane as there will always be drivers going at least 10kmh above the posted limit on the highway. If drivers followed the proper etiquette the traffic will flow much better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast