Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Annoying Driving habits in Edmonton

C2E Long Term Contributor

If trucks are about to turn from QE2 to the Henday westbound then they have no choice but to use the center lane - the first 2 or 3 lanes to the right are for Gateway Blvd. Though why they use the center lane all the way from Leduc, I have no idea.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

From Leduc to Edmonton the fast lane is often the right lane. Additionally people coming off the Yellowhead and turning south on the Anthony Henday will immediately take the middle lane whereas the right hand lane doesn’t disappear until the Whitemud overpass. (Those taking the middle lane facilitate easier merging at the next overpass, but they are leaving the right hand lane near empty and increasing conjestion in the middle and left/passing lane.) Same issue for north bound traffic.

I guess it all works as is - just like speeding. People drive according to the perceived conditions and that seems reasonable.

Also I regularly see people turn onto roads and either directly or near immediately take the left lane and then drive for blocks and blocks before making a left. People come up behind them and have to pass on their right. (Not a big deal because cars often slow the left lanes for turns but in driving and improving traffic flows consistency and predictablity improve safety.)

On Whitemud north of the river people will get into the far left lane and stay there for the several km to the Terwillegar off ramp with vehicles passing them on their right the whole way. Again not a big deal but such practices just mean that passing on the right will occur as a response. It’s simple cause and effect with speed being the old chicken and egg issue.

In Europe I saw huge signs indicating how many km ahead it was to the merge point of the third/right-hand lane merging left. Simple. So if a driver merged onto the highway and the sign indicated that it was for example 5 km until the right-hand lane would disappear, the slower driver could just stay there and stay out of the way of the faster traffic in the other two lanes.
    Last edited by KC; 10-02-2019 at 01:11 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Nine years old, this thread. Nothing changes.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

So today this is what I think I saw:

Stopped for a red light. Heard a person laying in their horn. Turned out that the guy laying on his horn was making a right hand turn to go west on the four lane (2 ea way) road I was on.

The right-hand-turner seemed to be laying on his horn because another driver coming across the intersection towards him, also turned to go west and took the lane against the centre median, forcing the guy making a right to turn to take the curb lane. I even saw this guy lay on his horn a second time as the other driver drive on. (Like the people that think they own the street in front of their houses, I guess he thought he owned both the curb lane and the centre lane for turning.)

8 Things to Remember about Turning Right on a Green Light

Thing #7: Which lane should you turn into?

Legally when you turn right, you’re required to turn into the right lane;
    and any left-turning vehicle is required to turn into the left lane.

However, if after you turn ...”

https://drivinginstructorblog.com/in...-green-lights/
    Last edited by KC; 13-02-2019 at 10:04 AM.

C2E SME

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ason-1.5028016

Now, I'm not dumb enough to think this is anything but an election ploy, given the timing. But there's some stuff in there that actually makes good sense to me:

The government will prohibit the use of photo radar in speed transition zones starting June 1.

Municipalities will also be prohibited from placing the devices on multi-lane highways, like Anthony Henday Drive in Edmonton, without having documented traffic data to justify them.
    Good. The city of Edmonton's listing of the highest volume locations for photo tickets handed out are invariably on major freeways like the Henday, where the accident rate vs. traffic volume is absolutely tiny. Photo radar should be concentrated at high injury collision locations, which are generally going to be arterial intersections with perpendicular impacts. Hopefully this will put an end to the city's practice of putting concealed photo radar trucks on overpasses to catch decelerating traffic as it enters the city. That practice is straight up BS and strictly about generating revenue, not improving safety.

Never had this issue before and can’t even recall seeing it in past years but this year I’ve encountered it many time, maybe a dozen times, and that’s driving in the city, during the day, with highbeams turned on. (At first I wrote off some as a design change where cars with four lights all get turned on but as extra bright but still low beams. Others as dirty HID lights but many have been clearly the standard old high beam headlights.)

And of course there’s the folks in pickups driving in a fog on clear days.

So the snow is disappearing and the motorcycles are coming out onto the roads.

It seems like common sense to consider the threats to their safety but nonetheless hope the riders get educated on the basics:

They themselves are just getting back to riding

Most vehicle’s blind spots are worse than ever due to road spray covering the side and rear windows and much of the windshield perimeter.

The sun’s still low on the horizon and bright sunlight can still reflect off snow and ice.

Regular drivers don’t expect them on the road this early in the spring melt.

Pedestrians are also coming out in full force.

Basically there are lots of factors making their little motorcycles much harder to see.

Would there be a way to incentivize the system to encourage better driving, especially during severe road conditions, rush hours, etc maybe only on designated roads?

Something that would reflect the differing societal costs bad driving can create when accidents occur and create massive havoc and grid lock on the roads. Maybe a surcharge on all accident related fines that occur during rush hour. Just like signs indicating speeding fines doubling in construction zone, remote activated and time activated signage could highlight the atypical or timely nature of the risk and put the thought in the mind of the driver at that moment. Maybe on certain roads and freeways double any fines during rush hours or when severe road conditions warnings are released.

Right now you get your drivers license and then pay a nominal fee every few years to renew it. If you have certain driving offences you pay fines and get demerit points and risk various lengths of suspension. Then there’s some defensive driving course that can be taken to reduce demerits. So the risks now are license suspensions and possible insurance increases, repair costs etc. Accident free driving can keep insurance rates down so that’s a huge incentive.

From Seth Myers:

A motorist in the UK was arrested after he crashed his car while swerving to avoid an octopus he claimed to have seen on the road.

Officials became suspicious when they couldn't find any squid-marks.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

8 Things to Remember about Turning Right on a Green Light

https://drivinginstructorblog.com/in...-green-lights/

^^^ If the idea is to reduce road congestion due to collisions, in addition to trying to prevent them from occurring we should address what happens afterwards. There is another sign used in BC we need to bring here: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2886...7i16384!8i8192

Anyone who fails to move driveable vehicles off the road immediately following a minor collision should receive an additional ticket.

Should bring back vehicle safety inspections, especially brakes, anything older than 5 years.

Some cars on the road are so rusted out, missing lights, have mismatched tires etc. I still remember going to the Safety Inspections with my father in the 1970's.

I would support that when you go for a drivers licence renewal, you have to watch a 45 minute safety and driving update video. Anyone who pulls out their phone and texts during the video gets a private lecture...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 22-03-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Yep, an "updates" video and written test every 5 years at licence renewal time would be great. So would periodical inspections - how about registration lasts 2 years instead of one but in exchange you have to do it in person with the vehicle and get at least a visual safety check?

Bald tires, illegal lifts, illegal tints, non-functional signals or lights should all be instant failures that have to be fixed before you get stickers.
    There can only be one.

I have always found it odd that while anyone trying to bring a vehicle here from outside of the province has to have a comprehensive inspection done (which a vehicle can fail for minor defects that are not significant safety hazards), the province will happily register vehicles that have spent 20 years and hundreds of thousands of kilometers here with no evidence whatsoever that they have been properly maintained.

Somewhere in the middle, where all vehicles are required to have a basic safety and emissions inspection periodically but some tolerance is given for minor problems, would be good.

When I moved to Ontario back in the 80's I had to have my new car inspected that was built there 8 months before.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Just as an eyeball estimate, I think the percentage of cars that are over 20 years old on the streets of Edmonton must be very small. I know cars can become dangerous well before that, but it's usually a question of proper maintenance. So, yes something along the lines of the U.K.'s M.O.T. test would be in order here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...cked-at-an-mot
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Old fogeys see 1 or 2 and then flap off...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

“failing to maintain the center of the lane”

Three drivers charged in connection with fatal crash on Anthony Henday Drive – Edmonton Journal

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...y-henday-drive

C2E SME

So the guy who got killed was driving like an goof. Can't say I am surprised. Even with the limited information available when the death was announced, it was pretty apparent the guy was driving way too fast. Otherwise how does a motorcyclist get killed in a rear-ender on a 60' wide freeway? He was on a sport bike that can stop and turn on a dime. Perhaps the SUV driver did something dumb as well, but it seems the primary blame falls on the guy who got killed. Drivers can't be expected to monitor their rear view mirrors constantly in case someone going 200 km/h wants to go around them.

Shame that a girlfriend and kid were left behind, but thankfully no innocent bystanders were seriously injured or killed. Maybe his goof friends will go to a track next time.

Here's the original article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...rage-1.5059027

The comments from his girlfriend and friends were telling, in that they were trying to minimize his culpability and blame it on the driver of the SUV. As a motorcyclist myself I can sympathize with that, because the average driver on the road really is a menace to everyone else on it. And again, maybe the SUV driver in this situation made a mistake. But the reports coming out now make it pretty clear that this guy was endangering himself and everyone else on the road by driving like an i d i o t, and he ended up paying the ultimate price for it.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 17-04-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    nope. drivers still speed, tailgate and road rage constantly. nothing has changed !

Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    nope. drivers still speed, tailgate and road rage constantly. nothing has changed !
    Every year we add a group of new novice drivers and if we train everyone as we’ve always trained them, what is occurring that will create change?

Today:

I saw two commercial vehicles in the left-hand lane of the Anthony Henday pretty much matching the speed of the cars in the right-hand lane. Then a frustrated driver in another commercial vehicle raced ahead in the right hand lane to then weave his way between and around these other two drivers. Totally unnecessary, messed up and unpredictable driving of all involved.

Early today, another two drivers passed me on my left on the Whitemud but then moved in front of me and then slowed down because the traffic ahead was slowing which was obvious and they could have just floated in behind me had they bothered to lift their eyes to see the road ahead.

Also today, an ambulance came up behind several of us and I slowed and pulled to the side but the guy behind me then passed me and then suddenly pulled over after he - finally - saw the ambulance about to pass me. (This happens fairly often and I suspect that a lot of drivers never look in their mirrors and/or have their radios on so loud that they can’t even hear an approaching siren. Would that be considered distracted driving?)
    Last edited by KC; 24-04-2019 at 11:14 AM.

So today I look in my mirror and see an approaching police car (lights flashing but no siren). So I move to the right and start to slow down to come to a stop. It’s mid block. So what does the driver behind me do? Gives me the horn.

So, here someone has a driver slowing down for no apparent reason and the first thing they think is that the other driver doesn’t know what they are doing and so is deserving of a horn blast.

What they really f’ing need to do is look in the mirror - both literally and figuratively.

Moreover, three other vehicles in the left lane made no attempt to move over at all and ended up lined at the stop light with no vehicles to their right - because I’d slowed that lane down and got honked at for doing so. The cop needed to make a right at the intersection so I presume that they were similarly clueless as to the police even having come up behind them.
    Last edited by KC; 06-06-2019 at 03:45 PM.

^The amount of times I see people in this city NOT moving over for an emergency vehicles is astounding. Get out of the way!

If I'm not mistaken, it's the law to move over to the right lane when an emergency vehicle is approaching, no?

KC, you made the mistake of actually looking in your mirrors to be aware of traffic around you.

Most Edmonton drivers aren't even aware that stick on the left side of the steering column is to let other drivers know that you wish to turn at the next intersection.

They think it's just decorative.
    ... gobsmacked

^^ Maybe part of the problem are drivers blasting their stereo sound system in their vehicles. There is a reason why deaf people are not allowed to drive.

I've seen fire trucks with its sirens on riding the bumper of a clueless driver. Even when the firefighter uses the blaring truck horn, the driver still does nothing. And yes, it would also help if drivers use their mirrors once in a while.

C2E SME

I think it's mostly people being clueless and totally unaware of their surroundings. And even if they do notice the emergency vehicle, it seems a lot of people freeze. But I mean, it seems like the majority of the population can't figure out how to merge on to a freeway, so it's no surprise they can't figure out that you should get out of the way of a bright red fire truck.

As far as deaf drivers go, I think North Guy66 is incorrect. I don't think that there is a blanket ban on people without hearing being able to drive in Canada or Alberta. They might have to jump through some additional hoops and do some testing, but I don't see any evidence that there's an outright prohibition on deaf drivers.

https://hearingsolutions.ca/can-you-...if-youre-deaf/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234