Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 2,201 to 2,279 of 2279

Thread: West LRT | Downtown to Lewis Estates | Conceptual Discussion About Approved Route

C2E SME

Well I think its perfectly fine to discuss the route as the city has decided. There are some good things they have decided upon and there are a few things that need to be reviewed for sure. As I mentioned before, the other thread was created to discuss other route options and I think that is where the routes such as Health Sciences/87th should be discussed and debated. Personally I may like that other route option but I don't think this thread needs to have that discussion. Issues here should really focus on tweaks to the proposed line, grade separations, etc... That's my two cents on that anyways.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Long Term Contributor

alley Line West LRT stops and stations names released
    April 25, 2018

The City of Edmonton’s Naming Committee has announced the approved names for the 14 street-level stops and two elevated stations along the future Valley Line West LRT extension:

Alex Decoteau Stop
    Norquest Stop
    MacEwan Arts/112 Street Stop
    The Yards/116 Street Stop
    Brewery/120 Street Stop
    124 Street Glenora Stop
    Grovenor/142 Street Stop
    Stony Plain Road/149 Street Stop
    Jasper Place Stop Glenwood/Sherwood Stop
    Meadowlark Stop
    Misericordia Station
    West Edmonton Mall Station
    Aldergrove/Belmead Stop
    Lewis Farms Stop

The stop names were primarily chosen based on location to support passenger wayfinding. The Alex Decoteau Stop pays tribute to Alex Decoteau, who joined the Edmonton Police Service in 1911, becoming Canada’s first Indigenous police officer. The Yards/116 St. Stop is a historic reference to the CN Rail Yards that previously operated in the area.

As part of the City Planning Branch, the Naming Committee approves names for municipal facilities, new neighbourhoods, parks and roads. This name selection process involves input from City administration and consultation with Citizen Working Groups along the Valley Line route.

The 14 km Valley Line West extension is the second stage of the Valley Line LRT, an urban-style 27 km line that will operate between Mill Woods in southeast Edmonton and Lewis Farms in west Edmonton.

The project team is reviewing the preliminary design completed in 2013, and working to be procurement-ready later this year. Once procurement begins, the Valley Line West LRT Project will take approximately one year to select a contractor and another five years for construction.

For more information:
    edmonton.ca/valleylinewest

Media contact:
    Cory Sousa
    Principal Planner
    Naming Committee & Addressing
    780-496-6226

Jennifer Villeneuve
    Acting Communications Advisor
    Valley Line West
    780-508-9167
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Once again I will voice my displeasure at the / names knowing that it will not make any difference. I wish they would just pick one. Add the cross streets to the map and be done with it.

^concur.

Love that they chose Alex Decoteau as the stop name and of course The Yards!
    www.decl.org

Some of them are a miss (e.g. Stony Plain/149 St, MacEwan Arts, Glenwood/Sherwood) but the rest are fine with me.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^concur.

Agreed. Names like those give the surrounding areas a more tangible identity which locals and tourists can identify with. Even just using the neighbourhood name will make a difference for places like Grovenor, Belmead, etc. since I bet if you asked 100 Edmontonians where Grovenor is they'd look at you like you have 3 heads.

Good grief. We can't even have simple/easy to read/speak names for our stops/stations on our tram/streetcar line.

They should shorten the hyphenated names
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

This reminds me that there was at least 1 opening on the naming committee last year. Missed opportunity for all.

www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I hope our "transportation department" realizes Edmonton is a winter city, and those 2 bike lanes will be optimized for about 6 months of the year. Yes there is a small segment of our population that bikes even in the winter. And why do we need 2 bike lanes? Its not like we're going to have bumper to bumper bikes traffic on one lane.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

A lane for each direction?

Despite your opinion, there is a growing group of cyclist that use 102 avenue year round, and they have been using 102 ave for a lot longer than bike lanes have existed

We need two bike lanes because bikes in the bike lanes will be going two different directions. with only one lane it would be difficult to pass each other.

Especially if there are cargo bikes or family bikes or trailers or adaptive bikes or trikes involved.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I hope our "transportation department" realizes Edmonton is a winter city, and those 2 bike lanes will be optimized for about 6 months of the year. Yes there is a small segment of our population that bikes even in the winter. And why do we need 2 bike lanes? Its not like we're going to have bumper to bumper bikes traffic on one lane.
    I hope that citizens realize that Edmonton is an evolving, young, inclusive and active city that needs a more balanced modal offering. If you incentivize the vehicle over other healthier, less expense options, you create a cycle that does not beget a people friendly city.
    www.decl.org

I really, really, really dislike these stupid hybrid names. Why can pretty much every other station in the world get along with a single name but people ehre are too dumb to remember where they stops are?

Why do they have to say stop after every station name? So freaking annoying we know it is a stop no need to tell us that.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

I hope that citizens realize that Edmonton is an evolving, young, inclusive and active city that needs a more balanced modal offering. If you incentivize the vehicle over other healthier, less expense options, you create a cycle that does not beget a people friendly city.
    But let's keep expanding the city outwards without providing adequate bus service to compensate, thereby making the roads more congested. And then let's make those roads worse by enforcing ludicrous speed limits and an overabundance of bike lanes. That'll work!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I appreciate all of that but 2 bike lanes in any case is a bit overkill. As I indicated there is a segment of the cycling community that bikes all year around, i get that. Personally I think its reckless behavior, to ride a bike in the winter, but that's just me.

The Way We Move, in this city is predominantly by car/suv/truck/bus etc. I don't know where you all are from but I actually live here in Edmonton, for 40 years in fact. I can count (even in summer) how many times I see bike riders peddling around during the day, on one hand. Maybe I'm speaking to bike enthusiasts here I don't know. Now, I don't own a car. I take public transit. But if the render above is any indication of the finale word on the subject, this city (transportation wise) is going to be in trouble. I'll stick with the bus and Capital line thanks. Just saying

^concur.

But Ian there are no Yards there. How does that help?
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Why do they have to say stop after every station name? So freaking annoying we know it is a stop no need to tell us that.
    There's a difference between a stop and a station. A station has integrated connections to the bus system. A stop is more basic. It's like referring to Stadium by name but it's called Stadium Station.

Wagner will be a station, not a stop.

^concur.

But Ian there are no Yards there. How does that help?
    References the former rail yards.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm sure Glenco meant stations.

Having names at each station is important so people will know where they are. I'd opine that 80% of LRT riders have earbuds in their ears and can't hear the announcement "Stadium station," etc. but can see the red digital scroll at the end of each car.

So they're naming it after something that isn't there? Isn't that contrary to their whole "We must have two names for the stations" that they're doing? Isn't that why Bay got changed?

^^^Which we should have used to reserve a ROW for a LRT corridor. If we'd had any foresight as a city we'd have done so.

Just call it Oliver Square 'Stop' FCOL.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Bay/Enterprise station for example.

Or when the Coliseum gets demolished, then what are we going to call it 118th Street station?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Oops, I meant Bay/Enterprise square.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    There's a difference between a stop and a station. A station has integrated connections to the bus system. A stop is more basic. It's like referring to Stadium by name but it's called Stadium Station.

Then no need to say stop every time. Designate stations as transit hubs and leave it at that.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo
    I appreciate all of that but 2 bike lanes in any case is a bit overkill.

You don't seem to appreciate that bikes can travel both East and West, for some reason. In any case, the lanes are already present on 102 Avenue, and are well used. Are you honestly proposing a single 3-4 foot wide lane to handle bi-directional bike travel? That's quite frankly idiotic and would lead to tons of collisions between bikers. You know, like the problems we're already having on the High Level Bridge.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 25-04-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post

Then no need to say stop every time. Designate stations as transit hubs and leave it at that.
    It's just specifying which is which for the press release. People will just call it by name and leave off the stop or station. I still refer to Bay station as Bay, dropping the Enterprise Square. Strangely, people seem to know which station I'm talking about.

the routing has been decided it is getting built as is. Move on.

Yeah, these hyphenated, lengthy names are crazy. What's the point of a street numbering system if we totally ignore it?

102 ave bike lanes? Yep, lots of use, well worth it. (and I don't even cycle)
    ... gobsmacked

Funny how we have buses with three number routes and 4 number bus stops.

Central
    Bay
    University
    Belvedere
    all works

What if we call Belvedere station
    Belvedere-129th Ave-east-of-Fort-Road, across-from-where-the-old-glue-factory-was...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

the routing has been decided it is getting built as is. Move on.
    Whaaat. Sounds like you have a bee in your bonnet.

Stop and stations are different things

But who the frig cares. It is an uber expendive sloth streetcar to a golf course community with fancy hyphenated names...

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

That "golf course community" has a substantial amount of families, immigrants, immmigrant families, young teens and kids, downtown office workers, mall workers, mall visitors... and how do I know this? Becuase I take the bus out that way. Lots of people transfer or carry thrugh West Ed Transit Centre off to Lewis Estates to get home at rush hour (yes especially), but also late at night on some of the last buses of the night that carry a lot of people over 40 and those working the last shift at the mall home.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

If you live outside the AHD circle, you don't deserve heavily subsidized public transit. Period. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    If you live outside the AHD circle, you don't deserve heavily subsidized public transit. Period. Full stop.
    what about outside the inner ring road? Do those areas deserve it? They were once far flung suburbs too. Or even simply outside the downtown core? I mean, Jasper Place was a whole separate town once.

Why? Those outside the Henday pay the same mill rate as those inside the henday. Your answer should be interesting. With Edmonton's spreadout workforce, sometimes it doesn't make sense to live centrally, when you work on the fringes.

C2E SME

The new communities have a higher population density.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Guess I'm screwed too by this logic as I live in the Orchards area...

Do explain.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    The new communities have a higher population density.
    Higher than Terrace Losa or Callingwood? Please provide source for your claim.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo
    I appreciate all of that but 2 bike lanes in any case is a bit overkill.

You don't seem to appreciate that bikes can travel both East and West, for some reason. In any case, the lanes are already present on 102 Avenue, and are well used. Are you honestly proposing a single 3-4 foot wide lane to handle bi-directional bike travel? That's quite frankly idiotic and would lead to tons of collisions between bikers. You know, like the problems we're already having on the High Level Bridge.
    Yes bikes can travel in any direction. I travel around this city a lot on lrt/bus on a daily basis and I occasionally see bike riders on the paved wide "walking trails" from Clareview station to Stadium. A single 3-4 foot bike lane is nonsense. This isn't the 80's-90's where in the core (for example) courier bikes were common place. Maybe that's before your time. What I'm getting at is The Way We Move <(I'm surprised nobody got that reference)is predominantly by car/truck/suv/ev and bus. The render Ian posted above has car traffic going one way, a rather large shoulder on the left of the image and 2 bike lanes. I occasionally see bikers get on the LRt, maybe 1-2 times a week during my commute 3-4pm. First of all the bike lanes are in the wrong location. They should be closer to the tram tracks so cyclists can board at each station without negotiating with traffic in their way. One bike lane. Its' not like we're seeing hundreds of cyclists or even dozens for that matter on bike lanes at the same time.

^ We're not Beijing for example, and as a City, we're no where near as in this image even during peak hours. Meanwhile we're sacrificing a lane of traffic to accommodate the needs of a very few. It really doesn't matter what my opinion is, the City does what it wants. There I got that off my chest.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I should have stated a small segment of the population.

Those wide "walking trails" are multiuse trails intended for bike use, and yes they are well used. YOu don't need hundreds of cyclists to make lanes wide enough to pass on worthwhile. Not only for passing, but for riding together. "Single file" is nonsense when riding with a friend or especially with a child. Lanes wide enough for two with an opposing bike lane for passing is a bare minimum - not to mention that no matter how they configure the lanes they need to be wide enough to fit a maintenance vehicle.

Why would bike riders want to get on the slower tram? yes, cyclists use transit sometimes for multi-modal trips or in case of a flat but it's far from a large market. People downtown walk to the bus or the train.
    There can only be one.

^ We're not Beijing for example, and as a City, we're no where near as in this image even during peak hours. Meanwhile we're sacrificing a lane of traffic to accommodate the needs of a very few. It really doesn't matter what my opinion is, the City does what it wants. There I got that off my chest.
    And we would never get to higher levels of cycling if we don't allocate any space for it. It's not like 102ave (or 103ave) are heavily used by cars either. Other than line-ups to turn onto 109st in the evening rush you could easily fit all the traffic in each direction into one lane.
    There can only be one.

That is one bike lane. Snow clearing will occur. This is well known. Bike-friendly weather is more than 6 months - could say at least 8 - and I think it's not always well below zero for 6 months of the year. Multi-modal road/traffic design is common in most cities and successful in many northern cities. Designing for the future and projected densities and new development in the area.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Those wide "walking trails" are multiuse trails intended for bike use, and yes they are well used. YOu don't need hundreds of cyclists to make lanes wide enough to pass on worthwhile. Not only for passing, but for riding together. "Single file" is nonsense when riding with a friend or especially with a child. Lanes wide enough for two with an opposing bike lane for passing is a bare minimum - not to mention that no matter how they configure the lanes they need to be wide enough to fit a maintenance vehicle.

Why would bike riders want to get on the slower tram? yes, cyclists use transit sometimes for multi-modal trips or in case of a flat but it's far from a large market. People downtown walk to the bus or the train.
    Exactly.

On my commute from Clareview to Stadium I see very little bike use on those multi use trails, and I ride the lrt on the right side facing the multi use trail on a daily basis. I see folks walking their dogs, joggers etc. and an occasional bike and often nobody. And as the LRT Capital line emerges to the Quasar bottle depot heading South I see even the odd shopping cart being pushed around. My whole position here is, do we really need 2 bike lanes at the expense of another lane for cars etc? Like I said Edmonton is not Beijing. My city (Edmonton) is a winter city from November to March so correction, that's 5 months of the year. Thanks to global warming. The multi use trails are well maintained. However in the case of Ian's offered image above, I can see one bike lane in that image, shorten that left shoulder and then there would be enough room for car traffic in both directions. It makes everyone happy. I'm probably the only poster here that takes the LRT from Clareview to downtown, so perhaps this goes over most heads here reading this. I've been taking this route from the year 2000-2018. I speak from experience.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    That is one bike lane. Snow clearing will occur. This is well known. Bike-friendly weather is more than 6 months - could say at least 8 - and I think it's not always well below zero for 6 months of the year. Multi-modal road/traffic design is common in most cities and successful in many northern cities. Designing for the future and projected densities and new development in the area.
    In Beijing, yes. Its a slight exaggeration on my part. The multi use trail I ride by is well maintained. Occasionally I see people ride bikes in February from 4505 137 Ave to 50th street. We haven't had a lot of -20 but as a resident of this city, that -20 with a wind chill can translates into -25+ often. I don't know where you live, but a -18 temperature can have a wind chill of -25 at any time of day in the winter. I never go by the temperature in winter, I go by the wind chill right of the /. Designing for the future is all fine and well and when autonomous vehicles arrive here 10-20 years out, will also have an impact on my community. My city council for the most part are smart people and know the score, but sometimes they make decisions that give me pause as in Ian's posted render above. I'm not sure how much input individual councilors like Nickle or Henderson had on this render (if any) but imo the location of the bike lane is wrong and sacrificing a 2nd lane for automobile traffic for 2 bike lanes is folly.

And I've been riding that multi-use path from Downtown to Stadium for 13 years. I also speak for experience. I've experienced the path getting more and more busy over the years. I've experienced it get busy as it gets extended and more people have a safe, car-free route to downtown. I've actually experienced IT, so I know that it's can be too busy to travel at speed on summer afternoons, and that the 118ave crossing is far from ideal and that it ends at 66st so there's no safe route to attract riders from further north.

As you walk/take transit around downtown you may notice that there are 4 traffic lanes on Jasper, 4 extremely lightly used lanes on 103ave, and 6 traffic lanes on 104ave when they're not blocked off for Ice District Construction. Motor Traffic has lots of lanes, you don't need to cry for them.
    There can only be one.

I'm beginning to wonder if envaneo has been on 102 avenue before, especially west of 103 street. Scroll down to the downtown stops on this booklet to see why the alignment for the bike lanes was chose. 102 avenue really should be a no-auto corridor, except for local access west of 103 street.
    https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/Ro...estBooklet.pdf

Jasper Ave and 104 avenue are the main east-west roads.

The removal of one bike "lane" as you put it would mean the installation of it elsewhere, which would mean the removal of either a row of parking or another traffic lane. Car lanes are not being sacrificed. They are being repurposed for another mobility use. If traffic on 102ave was heavy, then I could agree with you.

It is not -18 in Edmonton from November to March. Dedicated infrastructure in one of our most dense neighbourhoods, paired with frequent transit like the LRT means designing for a future of the neighbourhood that is less reliant on a personal car and moves more people more efficiently.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

And I've been riding that multi-use path from Downtown to Stadium for 13 years. I also speak for experience. I've experienced the path getting more and more busy over the years. I've experienced it get busy as it gets extended and more people have a safe, car-free route to downtown. I've actually experienced IT, so I know that it's can be too busy to travel at speed on summer afternoons, and that the 118ave crossing is far from ideal and that it ends at 66st so there's no safe route to attract riders from further north.

As you walk/take transit around downtown you may notice that there are 4 traffic lanes on Jasper, 4 extremely lightly used lanes on 103ave, and 6 traffic lanes on 104ave when they're not blocked off for Ice District Construction. Motor Traffic has lots of lanes, you don't need to cry for them.
    Maybe you ride at a different time of day. I'm riding by it at 3pm and, oh wait, I saw one cyclist on my way into work about 3pm peddling North this afternoon. There is no multi use trail from Clareview to Belvedere. And I'm mainly talking about shared bike lanes/lrt, not bike lanes in general. Oh btw I don't drive a car. I just commute by ETS. So in this we can agree to disagree and move on.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm beginning to wonder if envaneo has been on 102 avenue before, especially west of 103 street. Scroll down to the downtown stops on this booklet to see why the alignment for the bike lanes was chose. 102 avenue really should be a no-auto corridor, except for local access west of 103 street.
    https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/Ro...estBooklet.pdf

Jasper Ave and 104 avenue are the main east-west roads.
    Thanks for the link. I have a copy of this. I was just reacting to the render Ian posted above.

Geotechnical have been drilling test holes along the route. Were along 104 avenue today on 107 street.

New WLRT Valley Line video... interactive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPtA...ature=youtu.be
    www.decl.org

Ahh yes a great simulation. Simulations are great. Look how well they looked for the NAIT line, the SLRT line, then, when you apply reality, you get what we have - a **** poor system.

The eternal optimist.
    www.decl.org

Because I call it as I see it? Because I care about how the system will function, and see glaring holes in it? unlike you, i'm more concerned about function over "OMG this streetcar will look so hot downtown, who cares about function" - IanO likely.

C2E SME

My guess is that the Valley Line will run something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jwDWYvL0aU

Similar in appearance but ours will be more efficient and faster. The ROW will make a big difference.

C2E SME

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

A friend of mine sold her house on 156/95th Ave to the City ~ 5 years ago. She wasn't sure why coe wanted the property but she received nearly half a mill for it. She thought it was for lrt expropriations.

Hilarious! Another case of going from bad to worse. They’re going to chop down all the boulevard trees in an area that has been obviously shortchanged on getting any at all for many decades now. Some of the approaches to WEM, an important tourism asset for the city, have looked like crap for 40 years. (Eg Not a single boulevard tree or shrub has ever been planted to beautify, let alone just hide ugly concrete walls along 178st.) Now they are going to do the same along the approach to another tourism asset (the zoo) where first impressions matter.

Root cause: Councillors aim to save mature trees along LRT route

“about 500 on 87th Avenue between Meadowlark Road and the Lewis Farms Park and Ride. “

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...-lrt-1.4711802

Last edited by KC; 19-06-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Hilarious! Another case of going from bad to worse. They’re going to chop down all the boulevard trees in an area that has been obviously shortchanged on getting any at all for many decades now. Some of the approaches to WEM, an important tourism asset for the city, have looked like crap for 40 years. (Eg Not a single boulevard tree or shrub has ever been planted to beautify, let alone just hide ugly concrete walls along 178st.) Now they are going to do the same along the approach to another tourism asset (the zoo) where first impressions matter.

“about 500 on 87th Avenue between Meadowlark Road and the Lewis Farms Park and Ride. “

Do you even live here anymore? This route goes no where near the zoo at all.

Magnoblade is oddly correct, the line heads north at 156th street, some 20-30 blocks away from the zoo...

It's hard to phantom that LRT construction would need to remove trees? Really?

Probably a typo on the address. This is one of the problems with LRT, it tends to denude the route of existing mature trees as they widen or alter the ROW.

I was very upset when they built the SLRT extension from HUB to UofA Hospital when they took out a bunch of mature trees to the SW of 114th and 87th Ave that were outside the construction area for no reason. They put in a modern park made of concrete. Typical COE, destroy anything old and put in substandard new.

Posted in 2014
    In 2004, mature American elm trees, bushes and other trees cut down needlessly even though it was not in the construction zone.
    The area was then relandscaped and a barren park was its replacement.
    Location 114st, 87th Avenue Edmonton AB 2004

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

Now what the location looks like. A sterile , boring, shadeless and barren concrete plaza

UofA Park on Flickr

Probably a typo on the address. This is one of the problems with most any type of contruction, LRT, PRT, GRT, Skytrams, Gondolas, subways, streetcars, etc..., it tends to denude the route of existing mature trees as they widen or alter the ROW.
    Fixed for accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post

Tourists arrive and visit both the mall and the zoo. What is the main route in between? 87th Avenue.

Similarly the airport is no where near the city but it affects visitor’s first impressions of Edmonton, as does the route into Edmonton. Think back to the decades of zero enhancements and the visitor views of industrial fencing, heavy equipment, pipe yards, etc.
    Last edited by KC; 19-06-2018 at 08:32 AM.

They never told us that urban-style meant cut-down-all-the-trees, did they?

With each new negative to the current route there's more and more reason to step back and take a new look at the whole thing. The cost/benefit ratio takes another hit every few months. if it's not negative yet it will be soon.
    There can only be one.

Tourists arrive and visit both the mall and the zoo. What is the main route in between? 87th Avenue.
    Similarly the airport is no where near the city but it affects visitor impressions of Edmonton.
    Maybe you shohuld have been more clear then when explaining that then....... As for that 87th ave hasnt really had many trees to begin with down that stretch of road for the longest time.

Probably a typo on the address. This is one of the problems with most any type of contruction, LRT, PRT, GRT, Skytrams, Gondolas, subways, streetcars, etc..., it tends to denude the route of existing mature trees as they widen or alter the ROW.
    Fixed for accuracy.
    No, not as much. Especially gondolas and elevated systems.

It is one reason gondolas are built to access nature parks and cross rivers.

Or Siemens H-Bahn in Dortmund

please apply that to an urban setting now, in a limited space ROW like the ones you pictured in your first post.
    Last edited by Medwards; 19-06-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Concept designs show a train running down tracks in the middle of a tree-lined street with heritage homes.
    In reality, that urban-style LRT didn’t fit, several Glenora residents told council’s executive committee Monday.
    Instead, LRT planners have designated 1,120 trees for destruction, including all the mature American elms that currently line Stony Plain Road. LRT designers are also planning to take out roughly 20 homes, several of them dating back to the early 1900s, said residents.
    The numbers were revealed in Monday’s report to committee. There was little to no mention of these impacts at the series of open houses held about the project.
    “We’ve been duped, basically,” said resident Walter Pavlic, calling on council to find an alternative, even if it means losing lanes for traffic. A city plan to replace the trees with 1,800 small saplings is not adequate, he said.
    (bold mine)
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca..._autoplay=true

SPR will already be down to a single lane of traffic both ways through Glenora. Don't know where they'd 'lose' any more traffic lanes there.

Similarly the airport is no where near the city but it affects visitor impressions of Edmonton.
    Maybe you shohuld have been more clear then when explaining that then....... As for that 87th ave hasnt really had many trees to begin with down that stretch of road for the longest time.
    And that is really interesting. I’ve seen boulevard trees being replaced in older neighbourhoods such as around Whyte Avenue, read articles of the City repeatedly replacing the same trees in front of some businesses almost every year for years. However, the routes to a major city attraction and revenue generator for the city (in decades past) received no beautification efforts. This wasn’t the case for a few years, it’s a multi-decade curiosity.

In terms of trees and landscaping and hiding deleterious views, 170th street north of the mall was abysmal for years and is just mediocre to the south of the mall, 178st north of the mall is several blocks of high concrete sound abatement walls, 87 th Avenue to the west was devoid of trees for decades and as you indicated, even now there is hardly anything in terms of planting’s along that main route.

They never told us that urban-style meant cut-down-all-the-trees, did they?

With each new negative to the current route there's more and more reason to step back and take a new look at the whole thing. The cost/benefit ratio takes another hit every few months. if it's not negative yet it will be soon.
    They may plant more trees and in half a century it will look great. They may plant a lot more shrubbery and end up far further ahead. I think that may be the case around WEM. For some reason zero effort was put into enhancements along the future route so there’s little to remove and if they actually do put in trees etc then that will be a first.

The irony is that for strategic, financial, cost/benefit purposes the opportunity to enhance the mall and the Edmonton experience is long gone. Now effort and resources will be expended to the benefit of an old has-been mall long surpassed by numerous other developments.

And that is really interesting. I’ve seen boulevard trees being replaced in older neighbourhoods such as around Whyte Avenue, read articles of the City repeatedly replacing the same trees in front of some businesses almost every year for years. However, the routes to a major city attraction and revenue generator for the city (in decades past) received no beautification efforts. This wasn’t the case for a few years, it’s a multi-decade curiosity.

In terms of trees and landscaping and hiding deleterious views, 170th street north of the mall was abysmal for years and is just mediocre to the south of the mall, 178st north of the mall is several blocks of high concrete sound abatement walls, 87 th Avenue to the west was devoid of trees for decades and as you indicated, even now there is hardly anything in terms of planting’s along that main route.
    If you ever go look at google maps you can actualy see that major trees basicly stop after 149th street heading westward basicly only the inter core of the city has major tree lined anything it makes no sense

my neighbourhood has tree lined streets, and back alleys... I'm in the SW (Ambleside), neighbourhood started around 2008...

please apply that to an urban setting now, in a limited space ROW like the ones you pictured in your first post.
    That only worked when you entirely closed the street from all car traffic.

Not realistic in WLRT

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223