Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,200 of 2201

Thread: West LRT | Downtown to Lewis Estates | Conceptual Discussion About Approved Route

I don't see anyone claiming half the price, but if you consider that maybe the whole proposal for a new LRT bridge with tunneled approaches for the Central Loop pretty much exists to get west-end valley-line riders to the U from the west end without an additional transfer you can just trade one for the other and call the 878ave route a half-billion dollars saved.

And 20 minutes faster to boot.
    There can only be one.

^
    No one answered my question upthread; do high floor and low floor LRT share the same rail gauge? Many decades from now, could you run a low floor spur over along 87 avenue, to the U of A, and have people transfer to high floor? Or could you have build additional high floor stations at West Ed and Lewis Estates, and run the 87 ave / U of A as a high floor line? I know its pie in the sky, and the other city zones would come first, but the ROW will still be there twenty years from now to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    There is absolutely no way it would be half the cost. Period
    Where are you getting that someone said half the cost? Period?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    It could be, but rest assured 87th Ave route would still need to be elevated over 170th and there would be an uproar about traffic elsewhere that would drive costs up as well.
    Actually, there wouldn't be much of uproar, because the route makes sense, and goes straight the university. There would still need to be the elevated 170th street, and 178th, and Henday too.

Were most of you just not aware of LRT discussions prior to 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    ^
    No one answered my question upthread; do high floor and low floor LRT share the same rail gauge? Many decades from now, could you run a low floor spur over along 87 avenue, to the U of A, and have people transfer to high floor? Or could you have build additional high floor stations at West Ed and Lewis Estates, and run the 87 ave / U of A as a high floor line? I know its pie in the sky, and the other city zones would come first, but the ROW will still be there twenty years from now to use.
    Same gauge but the platforms are different heights. The overhead wire would be at a different height. Essentially, you can't run them on the same track.

^

The reason is that gauge doesn't really matter. Low floor can run the same guage as high floor, or a different gauge all to its own.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    It could be, but rest assured 87th Ave route would still need to be elevated over 170th and there would be an uproar about traffic elsewhere that would drive costs up as well.
    Actually, there wouldn't be much of uproar, because the route makes sense, and goes straight the university. There would still need to be the elevated 170th street, and 178th, and Henday too.

Were most of you just not aware of LRT discussions prior to 2010?
    No I remember it, but it just stands to reason that the further along these plans get the more issues arise and the more negative public image they are open to. Things tend to reach a fever pitch right before funding is secured or shovels hit the ground. Since the 87th route didn't get to that point, the memory and perception of it are likely being seen through rose-coloured glasses to a degree. I'm not taking a stance on it here, I'm just saying that even with all the planning that was done on it, a specific cost and design was never locked down. Even if it had been, it's likely that the NIMBYs would have come out again and caused delays and cost overruns.

If you refer to the studies done prior to 2008, I would consider what envaneo is saying to be relatively true. The cost per KM was higher, but the route is much shorter, and the ridership estimates higher, and travel time shorter. Also the disruption to the communities was much less.

When you don't tunnel or elevate, you expropriate land, still have to deal with utilities above and below...

City Administration has brained washed many of the citizens into believing that anything but ground level is super expensive, and not worth even considering, however, one only needs to look at the cost of the skytrain in Vancouver, or the WLRT leg in Calgary to see that city administration is trying to pull a fast one. What's even more telling about the misleading city administration is when asked to do a cost comparsarion, they don't give actual costs

Option A: $
    Option B: $$
    Option C: $$$
    By 2010 they had costs for each route but none were over 1.1 billion. Any alterations to THEIR PLAN was given the "That will cost $200 million more" mantra.

We were told that low floor was cheaper but not how much. Now the cost is 2.2 billion.

They will blame the increase on the delays but funny, in 2010 we were in an oil boom. Now in a bust we should get some discounts, NO????
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^

The reason is that gauge doesn't really matter. Low floor can run the same guage as high floor, or a different gauge all to its own.

In Edmonton's case they both run on the same gauge. Catenary height isn't much different, since the high-floor lines can be low as in the tunnel or high as when crossing major streets.

To make the change from low to high floor you would need to raise the platform height including extending stairs and elevators on above-grade stations, extend them to the 5-car length they would need, and and change out the power transformers and contact wires if the voltage is significantly different. Our high floor is 600V, I can't recall what the Valley Line will be but I've read that 750V and 1500V are more common than 600V for new systems.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    ^

In Edmonton's case they both run on the same gauge. Catenary height isn't much different, since the high-floor lines can be low as in the tunnel or high as when crossing major streets.

To make the change from low to high floor you would need to raise the platform height including extending stairs and elevators on above-grade stations, extend them to the 5-car length they would need, and and change out the power transformers and contact wires if the voltage is significantly different. Our high floor is 600V, I can't recall what the Valley Line will be but I've read that 750V and 1500V are more common than 600V for new systems.
    Thanks for the info; I never event thought of the differing power requirements between low floor and high floor trains. So a future 87 avenue line would either have to be low floor to the U of A, with a transfer to the high floor Capital/Metro line, or you would have run it as a high floor line to Meadowlark and have them transfer to the low floor line station at Meadowlark. And that assumes the Lewis Estate to Meadowlark leg can handle the increased traffic. Either way, not going to happen any time soon.

You could convert to high floor but it would be a bit of a process, either a year or more bus substituted, or a painstaking long process allowing cross-platform transfers that move west one station at a time might work depending on where crossovers are.

As big of a job as conversion would be I think it would make more sense to do that than to either dead end the high-floor at Meadowlark or build a low floor spur with a transfer at Health Sciences.
    There can only be one.

My plan was to run the high floor from Health Sciences to WEM and the low floor line would run down 104 ave to 124 st, north to 111 ave, west to 142 street (major stop at Westmount, another TOD location), south to 107 ave, west to 156 street and south to a transfer station as Meadowlark.

Not as disruptive, better coverage and more TOD opportunities along 124 st and 111 ave and at the traffic circle at 107 ave & 142 street.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.5...ae9729!1m0!3e0

Alternatively, you could turn west on 95 ave to 178 at and then south to Callingwood. Move the WEM station closer to 178 street and eliminate the 184 street stop

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.5...e136ba!1m0!3e0

Note: Express bus currently runs from WEM to South Campus. New transit strategy aims to improve that service, similar service. This bus line utilizes the Fox Drive bus ROW. Improvements could be made for the route along Whitemud Drive.

http://webdocs.edmonton.ca/transit/route_schedules_and_maps/future/RT133.pdf

20-30 minutes.
    Last edited by GenWhy?; 04-04-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quick question, how does the city plan to get the Valley/Whatever Line over the NSR on the West? Any potential to double the current Capital Line Bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by reecemartin View Post
    Quick question, how does the city plan to get the Valley/Whatever Line over the NSR on the West? Any potential to double the current Capital Line Bridge?
    Ha ha. It's a dog's breakfast. CoE preferred route is over another bridge beside High Level. Discussion about it here:
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...LRT-Strathcona

The Valley Line West doesn't cross the river.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    The Valley Line West doesn't cross the river.
    Sorry, turns out I'm talking about the Centre LRT

Another Valley Line question: Do they plan to run 2 car trains from day 1 or only once ridership grows?

Another Valley Line question: Do they plan to run 2 car trains from day 1 or only once ridership grows?
    That's a good question. We have 26 cars on order. So 13 for northbound, 13 for southbound. Supposed to be 5 minute headways for a ~30 minute run, at peak as per the P3 contract, so that means 6 consists per direction, 2 car trains would be 12 cars northbound, 12 cars southbound. Leaves only 2 cars. Could be a 2-car consist at one end doing the turn-around.

So... possible to do 2 car consists. Leaves no cars in reserve though. Can't expect them to do all the maintenance off hours, plus there will be breakdowns, crashes etc. Even then, two full cars is only 550 passengers. Not the numbers we're used to with our high floor lines.

C2E Posting Power

L,l
    Am I the only seeing this? It's clear this guy is writing a paper or article on our systems wth his incessant questions......he's doing the same thing over on SSP. Shut this guy down and DON'T answer any more of his questions......

Take your tin foil hat off mac. You're a paranoid fool

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    L,l
    Am I the only seeing this? It's clear this guy is writing a paper or article on our systems wth his incessant questions......he's doing the same thing over on SSP. Shut this guy down and DON'T answer any more of his questions......
    My feelings exactly - I think your analysis is spot-on.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    I think you're the one with the blind-spot Donald...your data are being mined under your very nose by somebody far, far away with no substantive connect to Edmonton, let alone Alberta...

Quote Originally Posted by OLM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    L,l
    My feelings exactly - I think your analysis is spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by OLM View Post
    I think you're the one with the blind-spot Donald...your data are being mined under your very nose by somebody far, far away with no substantive connect to Edmonton, let alone Alberta...

Interesting. So... one, interesting first assumption ( with added oppositional/defensive views...), two, “it’s clear” means full acceptance of the point, three, if so, why the seemingly natural opposition and hostility?

Are the questions and answers of no value to Edmontonians? If so, yes it’s wasting people’s time.

However as anyone asked Reecemartin ?

Reecemartin, why the questions? Do you live in or around Edmonton?

I’m back
    A google search find a Reecemartin posting on a Toronto forum. Again, without more information, so what? If it’s the same person they even used their same username. If so and it’s the person’s actual name then that doesn’t seem very nefarious to me. It’s the internet, that’s how it works.

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...18819/page-104
    Last edited by KC; 09-04-2018 at 06:20 AM.

I'm kind of amazed at the hostility here, seems to me my questions aren't so unreasonable given that I can't find this kind of info very easily on the City or TransEd Websites.

Why I'm asking:
    -I spend about half my time in Vancouver half in Toronto at University right now have a deep interest in both their transit systems: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf4..._as=subscriber
    -Upon graduation I am seriously considering a move to Edmonton and hence I am curious about the transit etc. (maybe I should reconsider given the discourse here....)

Lastly, I'm a transit nerd for gods sake I love following projects etc hence I am just curious! Isn't that why everyone is on here? SSP seems to kind of suck for Edmonton Transit so I came here.

In response to the consists sounds like they may run 50% two car trains? Kind of strange given the difference in size but, seems crazy to have half the trains as reserve.
    Interesting fact that relates to why I asked, in Toronto the Eglinton vehicles are actually only single cab since they are planned to run 2 or three car trains from day one (30 m vehicles though).
    Last edited by reecemartin; 09-04-2018 at 09:17 AM.

I'm kind of amazed at the hostility here, seems to me my questions aren't so unreasonable given that I can't find this kind of info very easily on the City or TransEd Websites.

Why I'm asking:
    -I spend about half my time in Vancouver half in Toronto at University right now have a deep interest in both their transit systems: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf4..._as=subscriber
    -Upon graduation I am seriously considering a move to Edmonton and hence I am curious about the transit etc. (maybe I should reconsider given the discourse here....)

Lastly, I'm a transit nerd for gods sake I love following projects etc hence I am just curious! Isn't that why everyone is on here? SSP seems to kind of suck for Edmonton Transit so I came here.

In response to the consists sounds like they may run 50% two car trains? Kind of strange given the difference in size but, seems crazy to have half the trains as reserve.
    Interesting fact that relates to why I asked, in Toronto the Eglinton vehicles are actually only single cab since they are planned to run 2 or three car trains from day one (30 m vehicles though).
    Yeah, maybe don’t consider that move to Edmonton. We are a pretty petty and hostile place. Lots of great people but nothing like the city I knew as a kid.

Oh and OLM, maclac, please provide us with your real names and any conflicts of interest or vested interests you may have. .

Just kidding.
    Last edited by KC; 09-04-2018 at 09:31 AM.

At least as it seems now the West LRT should be fully funded and moving ahead. Edmonton will actually have a pretty impressively extensive LRT system upon completion of this line and can move to doing some of the extensions etc.

Another question (I have many), with regard to the Smart Card system being designed by VIX what is the plan for the Valley Line? Will it open with the system? Any idea if they are doing readers on LRV's or will they be at the stops?

Odds are pretty good that nobody here knows any actual details surrounding a lot of the questions you're asking. I might suggest compiling a list and emailing 311 or the contact listed on the Valley Line page on the city's website.

At least as it seems now the West LRT should be fully funded and moving ahead. Edmonton will actually have a pretty impressively extensive LRT system upon completion of this line and can move to doing some of the extensions etc.

Another question (I have many), with regard to the Smart Card system being designed by VIX what is the plan for the Valley Line? Will it open with the system? Any idea if they are doing readers on LRV's or will they be at the stops?
    These are really great questions, and the important ones that address the system as a whole, the working parts outside the line itself. I usually e-mail Trans Ed for answers to my parents questions who live along the SE Line. With implementation of the smart fare system to be in place by 2020... you'd hope it will be set up and integrated from day 1. I'm still waiting on a response from the City and Trans Ed.

The fact that many of your questions cannot be answered even by folks following this project rigorously is a testament to the grey area and complexity of a system not fully... communicated. Also the Internet is a bubble and a non-reflection of the City as a whole. I was in Vancouver recently and talked to a woman from New Jersey who no only heard of Edmonton, but said "it's very up and coming". She knew lots about Edmonton, and her friend from Hawaii was blown/away/confused/impressed. This transit line will completely transform the city.

Keep asking questions, Reece.

C2E Posting Power

Naw....no foil hat for me.... I guess my BS sniffer is a lot more acute than yours....

reecemartin, please ignore the one or two negative people on this thread. I love your interest in our city and our mass transit system. I too am a transit nerd and have studied transit systems around north america and further for many many years as a hobby/self interest.

And even if you were writing a paper on our LRT system - who cares? You are seeking information - that's half the premise of this website, is to provide information about the city of Edmonton to others inside and outside that might be seeking it. I see no reason to shut you down for asking questions. OLM and maclac should apologize.

reecemartin, please ignore the one or two negative people on this thread. I love your interest in our city and our mass transit system. I too am a transit nerd and have studied transit systems around north america and further for many many years as a hobby/self interest.

And even if you were writing a paper on our LRT system - who cares? You are seeking information - that's half the premise of this website, is to provide information about the city of Edmonton to others inside and outside that might be seeking it. I see no reason to shut you down for asking questions. OLM and maclac should apologize.
    “Clearly” OLM and maclac aren’t even Edmontonians and are just trying to bring down people’s impression of the quality of our city’s people...

C2E SME

So what if someone is asking questions, this is still a free country.

C2E Continued Contributor

There’s a couple arrogant people with little intelligence on this board that like to troll, I would just ignore it. If a person wants to do research on mass transit or the public perception of it, then why not go to message boards where the demographics range widely? I have no problems with curiosity, and nor do 99 percent of people here. So ask away Reece.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I have a question. Are all Valley line train platforms the same size?

Thanks
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    There’s a couple arrogant people with little intelligence on this board that like to troll, I would just ignore it. If a person wants to do research on mass transit or the public perception of it, then why not go to message boards where the demographics range widely? I have no problems with curiosity, and nor do 99 percent of people here. So ask away Reece.
    savage but true

If by size you mean length than yes they should be slightly longer than the maximum train which would have a max length of 84 m.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Thanks. So that means that each platform could hold up to 4 LRV cars right?

No it does not.

I'm not sure if you know but they aren't using the same LRV's as on Edmontons current LRT network. They are using 7-segment low floor LRVs each of which is 42m long. So the maximum train length is 2 cars....

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

No it does not.

I'm not sure if you know but they aren't using the same LRV's as on Edmontons current LRT network. They are using 7-segment low floor LRVs each of which is 42m long. So the maximum train length is 2 cars....
    Yes because they are 2 different systems

I'm trying to wrap my head around the station stops. For example, the Jasper place station from Stony Plain Road to 100A ave is ~ 87m. Enough room for 3-4 cars. Even if the WLRT advances the station a block South between 100A and 100th Ave (taking out that strip mall,) is ~ 83m is enough room for 3 cars.

I don't see how the Jasper Place transit stop can have 2 tracks unless the 2 tracks are going to merge into one track at the station from SPR and 156th street. But its early yet. That much we know.

How do you figure 87m is enough room for 3-4 42m long cars?

2 cars = 84m
    3 cars = 126m
    4 cars = 168m
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Oops, I meant 2 cars, my bad.

Either way if the Jasper Place transit station is going to hold only 2 cars there's no accounting for peak hour capacity unless off peak is one car. Its a tram, then in LRT name only.

2 cars as in 2 seven-module cars? Or 1 7-module car... which I think is measured at 30.m metres with capacity of just over 275 people. As per the info I got from Bombardier on the Flexity Freedom. Trying to re-wrap my head around what we're getting.

2 cars that are 7 modules each (so 14 modules total)

also the capacity data given is for like a very comfortable full. During rush hour on the capital line, the amount those cars are full are above the "comfortable" amount that is being used for the statistics for the valley line. (Sorry if my wording is confusing I wasn't sure how to say this haha)

I'd not consider a train where 2/3 of the passengers are standing to be "comfortably full". Only 80-some seats for 250 passengers.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Oh I assume over 275 at rush hour. Ok I re-read everything.

Platform Length: 84 metres
    1 Flexity 7-module Car Length: 30.8 metres

Platform capacity allows 2 7-module cars at over 550 "comfortable ridership capacity". Correct? Running at a max of 5-minute frequency at peak time?

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I'd not consider a train where 2/3 of the passengers are standing to be "comfortably full". Only 80-some seats for 250 passengers.
    On a train for any duration. Comfortable, as a regular transit user. On a bus for over 10 minutes... not comfortable. Packed anything, however, is agonizing. Just like in a car in gridlock.

23m U2 and SD160 cars are comfortable up to about 130 of the 160 service load, after that you're brushing up against backpacks and to/away from the doors can be a pain. Not like it's so horrible even at 160, though. 200+ after an esks game is another story.
    There can only be one.

max of 5 minute frequency during peak time as of the current intended functionality. frequency can be increased in the future but there will be higher traffic impacts. I personally don't consider people all standing to be uncomfortable, having been pushed onto trains when living abroad, but I can understand the concerns regarding capacity. Council was ensured at the council meeting by admin that frequency could be doubled if ridership was much higher than expected, but that this would require more cars to be ordered, require increasing the electricity to the line, and that traffic would be further impacted. Admin said there is nothing in the design of the line itself that would not allow for increased frequency. cheers.

The Valley Line has about half the maximum capacity of the Capital line.

The Valley Line has about half the maximum capacity of the Capital line.
    just wondering if that includes the whole 3 car long nait train?

Given that the 3 car line is technically the Metro & the article mentions 5-car consists on 5 minute headways, I'd wager not.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4095116/e...-lrt-capacity/

With 30m vehicles it could be possible to get 3 cars into an 84m platform if the front/rear doors are far enough from the end of the car. otherwise a design that requires a 84m platform for just 60m of vehicle seem excessive.
    There can only be one.

Given that the 3 car line is technically the Metro & the article mentions 5-car consists on 5 minute headways, I'd wager not.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4095116/e...-lrt-capacity/
    ahh. yeah. capital line cars are definitely not every 5 minutes lol. from what i recall its usually 2 capital line cars followed by a 3 car nait car, and there is usually some 7-10 minute gap between some of them, while others are 4-5 minutes apart. kinda chaotic right now.

Well all the Valley Line estimates are predicated on the assumption that this time, the third time, they'll actually pull off their whole timing/signalling schtick, despite them showing they learned nothing from the first try (SLRT), or at least didn't apply anything they did learn on their second failed attempt (Metro).

I'm not nearly so confident.

true enough! I guess we will see in 2020 when SValley opens up. Hopefully everything works out. I feel this system may be more flexible that the metro or capital.

I'm just glad I gave up on my whole car-less Edmonton experiment a couple years ago so I can avoid ETS as much as possible.

^CoE has big plans for getting you out of that car, noodle. Gridlock everywhere. Take the (slow, packed in like sardines) train... or else!

Nah, because I have the good sense to live centrally & work anywhere but. I drive against the gridlock, not in it. It'd take a level of buffoonery that even CoE Administration couldn't muster to screw up my reverse commuting.

That's good. I did a reverse commute years ago. Lived DT and worked in the west end. Smooth sailing.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Ha...I did the same thing years ago...lived on 121 Street...worked out west.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...I normally HATE memes...but this one is perfect for the topic. Slow service and planned congestion!
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Oh I assume over 275 at rush hour. Ok I re-read everything.

Platform Length: 84 metres
    1 Flexity 7-module Car Length: 30.8 metres

Platform capacity allows 2 7-module cars at over 550 "comfortable ridership capacity". Correct? Running at a max of 5-minute frequency at peak time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    With 30m vehicles it could be possible to get 3 cars into an 84m platform if the front/rear doors are far enough from the end of the car. otherwise a design that requires a 84m platform for just 60m of vehicle seem excessive.
    Again 5 segment cars are 30 meters, 7 segment cars are 42......

The only conceivable way of getting a longer train would be to order a single long LRV

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So in other words at peak hour its going to be like a wagon train with trains backed up from 156th street to 149th street heading West? Also what about vehicle traffic on SPR heading East at the SPR/156th street intersection? How are 2 lanes of Eastbound traffic going to merge into one lane Eastbound?

tough luck according to the city. everyone will be riding LRT instead, remember.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Pardon my rough sketch here so, is the train going to merge from 2 tracks into one as in my sketch here?

Vancouver, Toronto etc have natural barriers to growth that do wonders for driving up desirability and real estate prices in certain areas. Of course, sometimes man can duplicate natural effects.

C2E SME

One of the worst things about Edmonton's traffic are the four-lane roads in the older neighbourhoods. Traffic definitely sped up when Fort Road was widened.

I think the city is going to have a hell of a surprise when traffic spills over to collector routes like 142 Street and 95 Avenue.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

142 is not a collector. It's an arterial by any definition.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    savage but true
    oh, i know; it's just awful...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

Exactly...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Correct. There are 2 types of roads as defined by the City of Edmonton: Collector and local. I got an education about this when we did the Jasper Ave. Make over survey.

Judging by how their performance, late, overbudget, ignoring many citizens, I wouldn't advise on trusting their material. See what other cities do and form opinions based on best practices.

Enough about the rant, I still think it should go over or under 149th up to the curve down 156th Street.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What about the 2 lanes of traffic heading East along Stony Plain road at the 156th street intersection? What's going to happen with them?

They'll be backed up, just like the rest of the routes going eastbound from the west end headed for the core.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That's if Stony plain road is a for lrt (tram) only to 156th street. Eastbound traffic before the 156th street intersection will need to be routed North on 156th street to 107 if non lrt/tram commuters want to go to the core etc.

Who's hair brained idea was this?

This will be forever known as "Mandel's Folly" or "Mandel's Revenge"?

Rather than building this line south down 156 street, they should continue the line heading West on Stony Plain Road to Mayfield Common, or beyond that. But then have a line from Lewis Estates and West Edmonton Mall to head East to South Campus.

With that they can have a stop at the Valley Zoo

The routing has been decided it is getting built as is. Move on.

^ thank you
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Just like the route was decided in 2008, things can and will change. Discuss at will.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    ^ thank you
    ^ you're welcome

Carry on... just don't hold your breath. Meanwhile I will check this thread again when we're done dreaming about route changes and arguing about low floor vs high floor LRT *eye-roll*
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

C2E SME

There are probably some people in Edmonton who will drive no matter what. If an LRT train can take 550 people every five minutes, one traffic lane will take about 300 cars, or perhaps 400 people.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I forgot we are pass the dream phase of this line. We can't bring up anything that would benefit it or can't change it what so ever. The blueprints are printed and concrete is on the way. Just deal with the problems to come.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Just like with the Nait line. City of Edmonton still hasn't figured out what option to go with at Glenrose.

Quote Originally Posted by Brody View Post
    I forgot we are pass the dream phase of this line. We can't bring up anything that would benefit it or can't change it what so ever. The blueprints are printed and concrete is on the way. Just deal with the problems to come.
    There's bringing up problems, and there's beating a dead horse.

Just like the route was decided in 2008, things can and will change. Discuss at will.
    Having problems letting go?
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E SME

There is the other thread created to discuss different routes and ideas for WLRT.

Typical Edmonton, accept mediocrity... and move on. It's no wonder our mass transit system causes fits of laughter from parts that understand what real transit is like. Enjoy the modal shift to transit not happening at all. Enjoy Edmonton continuing to have the lowest transit usage for major cities in Canada.

So discussing the plan that will actually be built, not daydreaming for 10 years about an alternate reality, is accepting mediocrity?

Well, given that the current plan is mediocre at best, kinda?

Yes, if the plan is mediocre.

And It's not quite a done deal yet.
    There can only be one.

By focusing on a former route like Health Sciences->87th you're also kind of accepting mediocrity because your solution is very unlikely to be built. So if you shifted your focus to the *real* route and the issues that come with it, those efforts would be moving us away from mediocrity rather than essentially spinning your tires and hoping for a miracle. Unless you're actively lobbying council to reconsider the routing, of course.

Talking about it 87th routing at this point is basically yelling into the void is all I'm getting at. I don't really see it as a productive use of anybody's time. Voices have been heard, stances have been solidly entrenched. Any time any conversation happens about West LRT it gets sidetracked by 87th route chatter from the same voices. There is no news on the 87th route, so we don't need to keep hearing about it.
    Last edited by Alex.L; 16-04-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Having problems letting go?
    The city bureaucracy has decided, the city knows best, do not question the city. They are omni impotent.

Yes. They did the Metro line so flawlessly. Shall I mention some of the other perfectly planned projects?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I think Dave was making hyperbole here.....

No, sarcasm. If it was a billion times better, that would be hyperbolic sarcasm.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast