Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chateau Lacombe | Redevelopment

Default Chateau Lacombe | Redevelopment

Unidentified buyer pays $47.8M

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...534/story.html

Any chance the new owner will modernize the exterior? Hotels always seem to be the last thing to get renovated/retrofitted.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Long Term Contributor

The interior is being renovated floor by floor and is almost complete.

I wonder if the new owner will pursue the condo tower on top of the parkade...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

gee.. the airport is closing and its still worth 48 mill....

go figure!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    gee.. the airport is closing and its still worth 48 mill....

go figure!
    this is the chateau lacombe, not the chateau louis...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

ooo MY BAD!!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    The interior is being renovated floor by floor and is almost complete.

I wonder if the new owner will pursue the condo tower on top of the parkade...
    All-new or, like most hotel renos, are the rooms just getting new paint/wallpaper and bathroom fixtures?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^from what I could tell, they looked pretty bare...
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Edmonton’s Chateau Lacombe sold

he Crowne Plaza Chateau Lacombe hotel in downtown Edmonton has been sold for $47.8 million to an unidentified buyer.

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/Edmo...671/story.html
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^from what I could tell, they looked pretty bare...
    Damn I was hoping for some red-flocked wallpaper and Spanish style wrought iron lamps ala Vegas 1966.......LOL

Edmonton developer have bought this hotel.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...megadrop_story

Definitely needs a bit of work. Hope they get to it!
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesC View Post
    As long as they do not "Courtyard" it up vis a vis the Marriott Airport i'm game for that! We do not need a circular stucco stack in the core.

Ditch the beigy curtainwall for a colour that is more in tune with the 21st century something perhaps in a smoky silver glass, and work on the exterior of the parkade please!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    As long as they do not "Courtyard" it up vis a vis the Marriott Airport i'm game for that! We do not need a circular stucco stack in the core.

Ditch the beigy curtainwall for a colour that is more in tune with the 21st century something perhaps in a smoky silver glass, and work on the exterior of the parkade please!
    smokey silver glass? how seventies' basement den and bar scene...

^ what colour would the glass at Epcor tower be called?

Not a mystery buyer...Google tells us this:

Kevyn Frederick is the buyer of VOIPUS. http://www.voipus.ca/

http://www.leducrep.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2720431
    http://www.bellaveragreen.ca/community/grandopen.html

Of more interest is this project - but the web says it will be in "Situated in the heart of the city of Edmonton, Alberta, Victory Green is being developed by Voipus Developments" and later states Terwilliger...: http://www.victorygreen.ca/ so who knows. I have no idea who this developer is.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 21-08-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Checking out the website, it's easy to tell it will be built out in the 'burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

Yeah those in glass houses ken....Like Medwards said what colour is the Epcor????

silverburn, silver mist, silver ghost, grey poupon??? What colour would you like to see it besides matching your avocado or harvest gold bar fridge.
    Of all people I expect better from YOUR posts....

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Checking out the website, it's easy to tell it will be built out in the 'burbs.
    According to the website 111th Street and Ellerslie Road.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I've never been able to understand the appeal of "urban living" way out in the middle of nowhere. That location isn't even within convenient walking distance of the proposed Ellerslie LRT station:
    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...lrt-study.aspx

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    I've never been able to understand the appeal of "urban living" way out in the middle of nowhere. That location isn't even within convenient walking distance of the proposed Ellerslie LRT station:
    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...lrt-study.aspx
    To meet density requirements for new suburban neighbourhoods the developers have to plop down condos in their otherwise single-family neighbourhoods. Not sure what the appeal is either...those condos are not urban by any definition, and I would venture a guess that those condo residents are still highly dependent on automobiles for mobility...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Yeah those in glass houses ken....Like Medwards said what colour is the Epcor????

silverburn, silver mist, silver ghost, grey poupon??? What colour would you like to see it besides matching your avocado or harvest gold bar fridge.
    Of all people I expect better from YOUR posts....
    i'm glad you both caught the irony...

the epcor glazing is actually pretty clear (it has some blue) and the spandrel glass could be called "slate" for lack of an actual "colour" and it was/is intended to complement the perceived colour of the glazing which will tend to pick up the colour of the sky (much as manulife appears blue even though its curtainwall is actually green)...

what i was tying to point out is that you can't - or shouldn't - pick glazing colours to be "in tune with the current decade" when you are picking things that could take a decade to complete and will be there for a century after that. because if you do, you're likely to end up with avocado or harvest gold appliances... i'm of the school that believes some things should be selected to be "timeless" rather than trendy.

i wasn't picking on "smokey silver" per se but the choice of "smokey silver" - or anything else for that matter - simply because it's currently perceived as being "in the moment". that's the fastest way to building something that will be out of date before it's trendy. i'll pick the glazing and details used in lever house half a century ago over half of the choices made since (many of which are now being "recoloured" and not just reclad not to look so period).

The joke is on you Ken as when I said "Smokey Silver Grey" I was specifically thinking of the Epcor tower. Sooooo if you think it's a dated colour you had better run down to Rona and start picking out colour samples for the upcoming reclad

Edmonton doesn't need another blue tower like Manulife or Commerce Place. and the Chateau Lacombe does need some sort of exterior updating it still screams 1966 when it opened. But one that isn't that is so trendy that it will be out of style in 5 years. A couple of examples I can think of are the exterior of the former Woodwards Store and ECC and the former Park Square office block just below the hotel that they converted into condo's.

Perhaps I should have used the term "stylish" instead of "trendy" so that I didn't confuse you.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

The joke is on you Ken as when I said "Smokey Silver Grey" I was specifically thinking of the Epcor tower. Sooooo if you think it's a dated colour you had better run down to Rona and start picking out colour samples for the upcoming reclad

Edmonton doesn't need another blue tower like Manulife or Commerce Place. and the Chateau Lacombe does need some sort of exterior updating it still screams 1966 when it opened. But one that isn't that is so trendy that it will be out of style in 5 years. A couple of examples I can think of are the exterior of the former Woodwards Store and ECC and the former Park Square office block just below the hotel that they converted into condo's.

Perhaps I should have used the term "stylish" instead of "trendy" so that I didn't confuse you.
    i could buy "stylish" instead of "trendy" and probably wouldn't have complained about a request for just that. as for the example of not being trendy that i quoted:

photo by howard digital/architecture by som. still occupied by its original tenant 58 years later.

Agreed poor choice of words on my part and yes something like that, Is is timeless and will not date.

Now back to your Harvest Gold or Avocado bar fridge........

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Edmonton doesn't need another blue tower like Manulife or Commerce Place. and the Chateau Lacombe does need some sort of exterior updating it still screams 1966 when it opened.
    But it WAS built in 1966. And it has the style to match.

Retrocladding rarely works really well. At best it creates an anonymous functional thing like the Devonian and the old Professional Building, Intact or whatever. At worst, there's Park Place and the central library.

I think it should just be kept to its 1966 exterior. Or rip it down, and build something else.

(I am deliberately ignoring all the Edwardian brick-heaps that were reclad to pseudo-streamlined or post-war modernist in the 1935-1965 period, but the point is the same. Most of these have either been ripped down or restored to their original exteriors.)

Let's look at recladding for the sham it is.

I think it's sad that people think that just because it looks like it was built in 1966 it needs to be refurbished.

I like the look of it, asside for a good cleaning (and maybe sprucing up the parkade) it is an interesting and significant looking building.

I walk past it every day and just today thought how awesome it still looks against the bright blue sky. It could use a freshening up, perhaps replacing the glazing, but not a wholesale reclad.

The whole entrance/parkade is constrained by the circumstances of location but could use a little modernizing & streamlining just for efficiency's sake.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I would enjoy a good touch up. Replacing the glass and cleaning the rest would do wonders. And of course recladding the parkade is a must.

While on topic, I feel the exact same way about the CN tower. Update the glass (black glass against the white would look awesome), clean the rest, reclad the parkade, and you've got one sexy, timeless building.

Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    Edmonton doesn't need another blue tower like Manulife or Commerce Place. and the Chateau Lacombe does need some sort of exterior updating it still screams 1966 when it opened.
    Retrocladding rarely works really well. At best it creates an anonymous functional thing like the Devonian and the old Professional Building, Intact or whatever. At worst, there's Park Place and the central library.
    The Intact building looks awesome thank you very much

Intact looks very nice, if entirely anonymous and a little bland. For better or worse, it doesn't have a tenth of the character it used to have.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Intact looks very nice, if entirely anonymous and a little bland. For better or worse, it doesn't have a tenth of the character it used to have.
    Definitely for the better. There's no doubt whatsoever in my mind about that.

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

Just saw a picture of the old Professional Building for the first time; it really had some character to it. The frontage and street interaction was pretty awful though.

Overall, I think the redevelopment was necessary for that part of Jasper Ave.

But it WAS built in 1966. And it has the style to match.

I think it should just be kept to its 1966 exterior. Or rip it down, and build something else.

(I am deliberately ignoring all the Edwardian brick-heaps that were reclad to pseudo-streamlined or post-war modernist in the 1935-1965 period, but the point is the same. Most of these have either been ripped down or restored to their original exteriors.)

Let's look at recladding for the sham it is.
    More psuedo speak as per usual

The fact is the Chateau Lacombe is not a b-class office block that both the former Professional Building (Intact) or the Devonian Building are, It is one of the city's "better" hotels. If they have spent the dosh to redo the interior floors then they need to update the exterior as well since thats what everybody see's first either as guests pulling up to the door or Edmontonians who have seen no change exterior-wise their entire lifetimes. You can only make a first impression once and as it stands that first impression is not what I would call overly positive.

If and that is a big IF the reclad is done in a sensitive manner it can be a success without creating just another faceless tower on the skyline. it all comes down to $$$ "You gets what you pay for"
    The Original exterior is dated, tired, bland, whatever, it needs something hopefully a clean functional style that won't date like last weeks milk. Even if they keep the 60's International style curtainwall they can use a slightly more contemporary colour than faded that biege/orange/pinkish tone whatever that colour actually is.

As for your suggestion of ripping it down and replacing it, That doesn't solve anything either as the possibility of it being replaced by some sort of monstrosity like the Edmonton Delta South just increases by about 1000%.

You seem to playing both sides of the fence calling for a retention of it's period 1966 style yet you call any remaining Edwardian structures (original,reclad, or restored ) "Brick-heaps" sounds like a contradiction to me. Something truly old at least for Edmonton is a heap yet a tired looking 44 year old hotel that needs some sort of facelift is an architectural wonder that should be kept as is at all costs.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

^darrell, I wan't really serious about ripping Lacombe down.

OK, here, without the pseudos, here's all I want to say, and I do mean it:

Once a building is up, don't reclad it. Its look represents something of the age it was built in. Keep it. Or rebuild from scratch. But don't fake the everlasting now.

And why, you may ask? For a very simple reason. That's how history accumulates.

Internal renovation to keep the systems up to date is a different matter altogether. (Although here the real purists will argue it's the same.)

^darrell, I wan't really serious about ripping Lacombe down.

OK, here, without the pseudos, here's all I want to say, and I do mean it:

Once a building is up, don't reclad it. Its look represents something of the age it was built in. Keep it. Or rebuild from scratch. But don't fake the everlasting now.

And why, you may ask? For a very simple reason. That's how history accumulates.

Internal renovation to keep the systems up to date is a different matter altogether. (Although here the real purists will argue it's the same.)
    Point taken but use your sarcasm icon!!!! but while I agree that recladding doesn't work in all cases I think the Chateau Lacombe needs something. Keep the exterior as is but change the colour too something less dismal stale would be a better word. I'm not asking for something garish but a neutral timeless colour that keeps the "swinging sixties" asthetic of the design while looking fresh. But it all comes down to how much the owners are willing to spend. The problem with Edmonton is more often than not it's done on the cheap and cheap is how it looks. Like the neighbouring Park Square tower yuck.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Posted by bicycles on SSP:

chateau lacombe hotel / residential project, edmonton

from: http://www.endallelliot.com/endall_e...u_lacombe.html

^yup, the 'wing shaped' residential tower proposal.

Would LOVE to see this go.
    www.decl.org

Unsurprisingly (given recent news about a certain Leduc condo complex), the Chateau Lacombe is up for sale yet again: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...588/story.html

Looks to be about 165m to top of mech or there abouts.
    www.decl.org

Partially Addicted to C2E

Looks great!! Can't wait to see more detailed renders. It would be so prominent from the South Side!!!
    edmonton - madrid - edmonton
    @BrettSMcKenna

Keep in mind this proposal was 2 owners ago I believe.
    www.decl.org

Wow, I love the concept of the second tower. It reminds me of a modern interpretation of a flatiron building.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Reminds me of a modern interpretation of flouting a grandiose design in an effort to inflate the price before selling a project to a two-bit operator who'll wind up in bankruptcy.

I hadn't seen that rendering and now it hurts to see it.

Would. Love. That.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Partially Addicted to C2E

Another proposal which will be nice to look at every once in a while, but with no hope of ever being built.

Well, thank God that Hargate doesn't own the Lacombe anymore. If they built that 2nd tower, it likely would have fallen over into the river valley!!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Oh? Dishy know you were a geotech
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

What I would like to see from anyone who buys the Chateau is complete clean up of the parkade structure. Personally I think it would be nice if they could mount some sort of mural that could dress up a very very prominant view from the river valley. As for the tower I would hope they could at least clean it up/even as simple as a fresh paint job. To me the design is fine but the exterior is looking a bit tired and needs some sort of refreshing.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

this hotel need a lot of work inside and outside to make it 3 or more star.

^they have recently completed interior renos to all of the rooms, but yes, the lobby/rest/conference needs some love.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I noticed this link in the Journal this evening.
    Sale of Chateau Lacombe to close in January

Hopefully they can bring this hotel back to its upper-end prominence. It's been looking a bit long in the tooth. Maybe that rumored 2nd tower could get going.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

What I would like to see is a reskin of the tower and especially the parkade structure. I would like to see something that pays tribute to the buildings original architectural features but yet modernizes the building. Also a it has been discussed, I think the new owners are going to have to find ways of adding new features that other highend hotels have.

^as one of our city's most iconic pieces of architecture, i would be against a reskin unless it retains the look.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Well just looking at a couple pictures of the tower, (even though I've never been a fan of lots of glass), how about keeping the long vertical strips that go the length of the building but removing the concrete panels on the tower and replacing those with glass.

As for the parkade I don't think that needs to remain the same in regards to it look, especially because it's just a parkade.

PLEASE reskin the parkade.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

it is a very attractive building.. and has much more class and character than most in edm. If we reskin everything to make them look like yaletown glass condos edm will be even more boring.

^the whole thing please, it's got to be one of the most dated looking things on the skyline (and not dated in a good way)

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    PLEASE reskin the parkade.
    The parade face is the PERFECT spot for an LED wall or simple light show treatment!

C2E Continued Contributor

Re-Skin would be nice as long as they don't go to crazy with the steel and glass. I think the Telus tower'S and The Coast (which I thought was being turned into apartments) need to be re-skinned way more than any other buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    ^the whole thing please, it's got to be one of the most dated looking things on the skyline (and not dated in a good way)
    One of the most elegant and subtle beauties out there.

(http://www.chateaulacombe.com/interfaceFiles/ext.png)

Also, found those photos I was referring to.

(http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/...ne1967-001.jpg)

(http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/...ne1967-002.jpg)

(http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/...ne1967-003.jpg)

(http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/...ne1967-004.jpg)
    www.decl.org

^This and the CN tower are two of my favs...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

agreed on both fronts... and on both fronts it's a shame people can't see past the mismanagement and ill-fated rouge to see what's really there. they both have a timelessness and they're both unique - one almost round and the other the only building i know with two convex and two converse building faces. in another twenty five years losing either of them would feel like losing the tegler does today.

^^

thanks IanO - every once in a while it's nice to remember the good old days when i wasn't the only one wearing a dark suit with a white shirt and tie...

^ one of two you know of...

And people get mad at me for comparing Edm to Paris.. lol
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 17-12-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Whatever is done.. I want the history of this being a CP hotel recognized and celebrated. This fact alone puts it in the same class as some of Canada's TOP hotels.

It would be awesome to have this delivered into the fairmount fold.

C2E SME

I think my overall opinion is that if the hotel character can remain, but also that some minor alterations can be made to highlight its uniqueness instead of the building looking tired/dated. The vertical strips on the building must remain and have to be potentially rehabilitated/cleaned to look new again. The windows I'm assuming need to be completely replaced with new energy efficient windows and the brown panels on the tower should be at the very least cleaned or somehow modified to maintain the architecture but not to look dated and tired. I do wish something different could be done with at least the facade of the parkade though. It is definitely in poor condition and needs a whole lot of rehabilitation.

The interior of the Lacombe back when it was a CP hotel was really awesome.

Of course this was also awesome!

From http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=6309

While the Chateau Lacombe badly needs an update it must retain its classic "swinging 60's style" much like the CN tower that went up in the same era.

Much like the former but redone Sheraton-Caravan (Holiday Inn Express) it needs a update but it also needs to keep the the original style that it was built for.

Downtown needs to keep its past alive while advancing and the classic 60's architecture we have such as the CN Tower, Chateau Lacombe, and "Sheraton-Caravan" evoke another very prosperous time in Edmonton's history that we should not eliminate in our current boom.

Keep its great classic style and basically just "make it "new" avec 2013 again.
    Retro works in this day and age.
    Last edited by NielCole; 17-12-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Other CP hotels built in around the same time.

Chateau Lacombe...new owner, new manager (Richard Wong from Sutton Place), independent again

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...264/story.html

C2E SME

^well hopefully this is the beginning of a return to high quality.

Addicted to C2E

I am happy to hear of this development . I think that a local owner wanting to make this a flagship establishment will be a great benefit to the city . It looks like he is choosing an excellent manager . This bodes well.

C2E SME

I wonder what kind of money they have to hopefully fix/renovate the parkade face that looks onto the river valley?

Great to hear that it was Mrdjenovich who bought the place. He'll definitely make this the flagship of his hotel chain business even though it won't be a Nova-branded property. This place is definitely going to get the TLC it needs and deserves.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Nova is a lower grade brand IMO, Chateau Lacombe deserves better.
    Aside: is Mrdjenovich related to the lovely boxing lady Jelena?

^ Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want this to become a Nova hotel. I'm glad that they're going the boutique route with this.

Yes, Jelena is his daughter.
    Last edited by ScottieA; 29-04-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Nova might target a different segment, but I think they've got the chops to run this well. Only time will tell I suppose.

C2E Posting Power

I bet it won't be branded as Nova. Just like big hotel chains, there are some that have different names for the different hotel levels. I'm sure it will just be Chateau Lacombe and probably on their letterhead it will have a small font "Part of the Nova Hotel Company" or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    I wonder what kind of money they have to hopefully fix/renovate the parkade face that looks onto the river valley?
    I wish.

Quote Originally Posted by jmart81 View Post
    I bet it won't be branded as Nova. Just like big hotel chains, there are some that have different names for the different hotel levels. I'm sure it will just be Chateau Lacombe and probably on their letterhead it will have a small font "Part of the Nova Hotel Company" or something along those lines.
    Exactly. I suspect we will see some significant investment in the tower, rooms already renovated... more public spaces.
    www.decl.org

Love the potential here. I wonder what changes are being proposed?

I visited a friend who was staying there recently. The bathroom in the suite was was in bad shape with rusting plumbing. The room itself felt kinda staid.

Apart from that I'd say the parkade and the land east of it needs the most work.

I wonder if the rumored 2nd tower would be still in the works?

It will need significant work. I wish we knew the dollar amount being invested in this project.

C2E Continued Contributor

^

agreed on both fronts... and on both fronts it's a shame people can't see past the mismanagement and ill-fated rouge to see what's really there. they both have a timelessness and they're both unique - one almost round and the other the only building i know with two convex and two converse building faces. in another twenty five years losing either of them would feel like losing the tegler does today.

^^

thanks IanO - every once in a while it's nice to remember the good old days when i wasn't the only one wearing a dark suit with a white shirt and tie...
    i used to work at the Chateau Lacombe in the late 70's and have nothing against it...still like the way the inside looks, but on the outside i have always thought it, along with the CN tower, were two of the uglier buildings in Edmonton..... sorry guys.
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

Nice article by Hick on the recent history of the Chateau Lacombe, and Richard Wong's revamp efforts:
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/06/1...on-hotel-saved

I hope the food improves just a little bit at LaRonde. It's pretty good, but for the price it's not great. The view, however, is amazing, but some better food would make it the best restaurant in the city.

I like visiting the pub there (again there's a great view), but it needs a serious updating, because the atmosphere is unfortunately very dated and drab.

La Ronde has to be a logistic nightmare.. To be Honest I think they should lease it out to a chain and do away with the revolving track...

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I hope the food improves just a little bit at LaRonde. It's pretty good, but for the price it's not great. The view, however, is amazing, but some better food would make it the best restaurant in the city.

I like visiting the pub there (again there's a great view), but it needs a serious updating, because the atmosphere is unfortunately very dated and drab.

Mr. Oil,

Are you alluding to Reflections Lounge up top ( attached to La Ronde ) or Bellamy's Lounge on the main floor.

Top_Dawg was at Bellamy's last year just before Christmas.

It still seemed to be all right.

He's drank in a hell of a lot worse.

Never been to Reflections.

La Ronde has to be a logistic nightmare..
    Howzat? La Ronde has everything that needs water and electricity in the centre and only that outer radius with tables revolves. Don't need elecrical outlets or running water there.

Sides' - tis such great fun going to the bathroom then having to walk 359 of 360 degrees to find your table! Would have been an ideal location for the restaurant scene in Mrs. Doubtfire.
    ... gobsmacked

^ Everything that goes up also needs to come down in one form or another... Restos are also very water intensive. The cost of electrically pumping up all the water up the structure also should be noted. That and the rotating infrastructure and it's maintenance is another cost.

Gut the space, tear out the revolve and put in a great lounge/tapas place something more condusive to smaller corp functions that can be rented out to groups. Then put a great high profile resto on the mainfloor where it has street presence.

Gut the space, tear out the revolve and put in a great lounge/tapas place something more condusive to smaller corp functions that can be rented out to groups. Then put a great high profile resto on the mainfloor where it has street presence.
    That's a terrible idea. Thank god you aren't in charge of the renovations. The revolving view is far and away the #1 most attractive thing about the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Are you alluding to Reflections Lounge up top ( attached to La Ronde ) or Bellamy's Lounge on the main floor.
    I was referring to Bellamy's Lounge.

It could use some love.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    That's a terrible idea. Thank god you aren't in charge of the renovations. The revolving view is far and away the #1 most attractive thing about the place.
    if your most attractive feature is a piece of 1970's camp.... then I think you are in trouble

I don't see any amazing restos advertising their amazing 4 foot wide revolving track. Tacky dated and cheesy is my 2 cents...
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 17-06-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Keep the revolving restaurant for these reasons:
    1. may cost even more to remove than to maintain; if nobody likes the revolving then just shut it off
    2. today's tacky is yesterday and tomorrow's cool and trendy - so don't remove and reinstall on the whims of what's trendy or not

Revamp the menu, get a top-notch chef in there.
    Turning it into a KEG or a Cactus Club is acceptable too.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 17-06-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Keep the revolving restaurant for these reasons:
    1. may cost even more to remove than to maintain; if nobody likes the revolving then just shut it off
    2. today's tacky is yesterday and tomorrow's cool and trendy - so don't remove and reinstall on the whims of what's trendy or not

Revamp the menu, get a top-notch chef in there.
    Turning it into a KEG or a Cactus Club is acceptable too.
    Revolving restos cost a fortune to build and there is nothing wrong with the one at the CL. It needs a makeover that is all - likely the kitchen and food services areas as well. The menu needs to step it up big time as does the team cooking it. Perhaps a change in Chef and Management are in order. La Ronde (and the rest of the hotel) should point to and return to its French concept roots - the Chateaubriand must stay on the menu as its is immensely popular and not served elsewhere in this City. It will be interesting what is really done to improve food and average as this is key to prominence. Any hotel can paint and replace mattresses. This remodel needs to reach into the "soul" of the hotel and the hearts of Edmontonian's to be successful. It best be done right - as half measures will fail and with it will go the trust and support of patrons.

See this dinner menu from the QE in Montreal as the direction La Ronde could go if there is the will: (Page 2 makes me drool)

http://www.fairmont.com/queen-elizab...e-menu-may-13/
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 17-06-2013 at 06:58 PM.

East side of the hotel is fenced off now, looks like a reno is on its way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    East side of the hotel is fenced off now, looks like a reno is on its way.
    It's been fenced off since the end of July without much of anything happening.
    Last edited by etownboarder; 02-09-2014 at 07:50 PM.

^ I pass by this hotel every day so I'm fairly certain you don't know what you're talking about.

Bellboy told me that the asphalt in front of the hotel is going to be torn up and replaced. That section of the hotel with conference rooms and such are still open.

Well I was there for a booty call one evening and the parking lot on the west side of the building was indeed fenced off, that was the end of July. So nearly 6 weeks ago now. You can drive by it all you want, but I was blocked from driving through because of a construction fence... So maybe you're the one who's wrong.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast