Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow and the city Streets

Not only are the streets not getting plowed, but it appears people refuse to shovel their sidewalks.

Coming home from work, I get off the bus and every 2nd house had not shovelled their walks for days since the snowstorm.

I can understand if it was fresh snow and they're waiting for the snowfall to cease, but it's definitately not fresh snow. It has been sitting their for days.

I guess people think that if the city doesn't clear the snow on their streets, why should they clear their sidewalks?

Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post
    Not only are the streets not getting plowed, but it appears people refuse to shovel their sidewalks.
    One of my next-door neighbours has shovelled only once this whole winter. Once.

When walking by, I just walk on the road. The snow's a lot more packed there.
    Ut libet.

I'd rather C2E than work!

our area (Westmount) done beautifully today
    THANK YOU !
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I've been walking to the bus stop this week. Most neighbors have been clearing the sidewalk, or made a decent attempt in a reasonable amount of time. At the corner, the sidewalk in front of the house, and the side walk adjacent to the house was not
    cleared. I left a note saying please clear your side walks. Next day the sidewalk in front of the house was cleared, but the side adjacent was not cleared. I called by-law. It is clear that many people simply do not know what they are responsible for.
    As a side note, the city is 'asking' people not to park on the road as they will be clearing the streets. My neighbor has 6 cars, 2 are always on the street. Why does the city not put up those signs 'telling' people not to park on the streets, otherwise
    you'll get a ticket.
    People respond much better when it hit's their wallets.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    How are these contractors paid?
    Not enough.
    Seriously.

Doing snow removal is NOT a money-making venture. The cold is hard on iron - things break very easily. All it takes is running across a raised water valve or manhole and breaking the circle is going to be a very expensive repair. Yes, it does happen.

Fuel, operator (remember, straight time for the machine - OT for the operator), blades (yes, blades need to be replaced regularily), insurance, WCB and an owner is not left with much (if anything) for profit.

If you think snow removal is a worthy operation I suggest you go out and purchase a $200K CAT 140 and give it a go. The local paving operations that put their iron out on the streets are only doing it to keep some of their summer talent busy during the winter. The machines are not out there to make money. Snow removal is a break-even operation at best. That, my friend, is why local contractors are hesitant to put their iron out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    our area (Westmount) done beautifully today
    THANK YOU !
    Yup!

And kudos to the nice city worker in the pickup truck with a plow who cleaned up the back alley by my garage after I had finished tunnelling to the garage door. I wasn't leaving snow in the alley but I did have to push lots to the opposite side which churned things up a bit. He was pass by and stopped to level it out again for me. Very kind!

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by ut_libet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post
    One of my next-door neighbours has shovelled only once this whole winter. Once.

When walking by, I just walk on the road. The snow's a lot more packed there.

We must have the same neighbor.

My father, who is 81 years old, has been going out everyday to clear the snow off his sidewalks and driveways for the fear that someone will call bylaws and fine him.

I told my dad about it. He's not too happy that he's the only one clearing his sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by soycd View Post
    Not enough.
    Seriously.

Doing snow removal is NOT a money-making venture. The cold is hard on iron - things break very easily. All it takes is running across a raised water valve or manhole and breaking the circle is going to be a very expensive repair. Yes, it does happen.

Fuel, operator (remember, straight time for the machine - OT for the operator), blades (yes, blades need to be replaced regularily), insurance, WCB and an owner is not left with much (if anything) for profit.

If you think snow removal is a worthy operation I suggest you go out and purchase a $200K CAT 140 and give it a go. The local paving operations that put their iron out on the streets are only doing it to keep some of their summer talent busy during the winter. The machines are not out there to make money. Snow removal is a break-even operation at best. That, my friend, is why local contractors are hesitant to put their iron out there.
    Er . . . I only asked HOW these contractors were paid, not how much. i.e. a negotiated fee, a standard fee set by the City, a take it or leave it price?

Regardless of the remuneration there's many of them, notice I don't say all of them, doing a half-assed job. I don't doubt there's heavy wear and tear on equipment, but you'd think that this would have been figured into the original tenders for the services rendered.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Not enough.
    Seriously.

That just reads like a list of poor excuses for doing a half-a$$ed job.

Quote Originally Posted by andy8244 View Post
    That just reads like a list of poor excuses for doing a half-a$$ed job.
    I see you are limited in reading comprehension. Keep your chin up, things can only get better for you.

Er . . . I only asked HOW these contractors were paid, not how much. i.e. a negotiated fee, a standard fee set by the City, a take it or leave it price?
    It's an hourly rate, howie. And yes, there is more wear and tear on the equipment due to the cold.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

It's an hourly rate
    , howie. And yes, there is more wear and tear on the equipment due to the cold.
    ...That explains a lot.

The city privatized the snow removal system quite a few years ago because of there not being enough work to make it worth while. However, the city has also expanded its road system quite a bit since that time - with the Henday, etc. - so I wonder of revisiting having the city do it themselves is in order?

Quote Originally Posted by e5realestate View Post
    The city privatized the snow removal system quite a few years ago because of there not being enough work to make it worth while. However, the city has also expanded its road system quite a bit since that time - with the Henday, etc. - so I wonder of revisiting having the city do it themselves is in order?

I'm pretty sure that the Henday falls under provincial responsibility.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

When I first came here all such services were handled by the City and the province in their own jurisdictions. The job was done properly, a much better service all around, IMO. Put it under "the good old days".
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

It's an hourly rate, howie. And yes, there is more wear and tear on the equipment due to the cold.
    ...That explains a lot.
    Please explain the sacastic remark. Are you insinuating that snow removal equipment shouldn't be hired out at an hourly rate? Please expand on your comment and share with the board how you think the snow should be moved.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    The city needs to use the 72 hour street ban. If you're parked on a main street, you will be towed.

Snow removal in this city is abysmal.
    Disgraceful at best.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    The city needs to use the 72 hour street ban. If you're parked on a main street, you will be towed.

Snow removal in this city is abysmal.
    Disgraceful at best.

My neighborhood has not been touched since the last snowfall, and this weekend we're experiencing another dump and still nothing.

I was talking to someone who moved here from Halifax a few years ago, and she said that whenever the snow fell, it would be cleaned immediately.

I don't want to hear the song and dance that just because a city meets a certain size that snow removal is treated differently. Snow removal is snow removal.

And besides, based on how our snow is being cleared, I highly doubt it's scratched the surface of our budget.

Not enough.
    Seriously.

Is a grader the right tool for the job? Perhaps the city should be mounting plows on the front of all of the sanding trucks, like you see on the highways.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

"Edmonton stores selling out of snow shovel"

...I guess folks are just sick of waiting for the city to get it's ***** in gear?

Retailers order snow shovels in early August. They look at last years sales and add 10-15 % to their order. The same goes for any other snow removal equipment. Enviro Canada says this snow is a 20 year event. It's a crap shoot when it comes to ordering seasonal merchandise in these parts.

"Edmonton stores selling out of snow shovel"

...I guess folks are just sick of waiting for the city to get it's ***** in gear?

We have a snowblower, but there are times when we just want to shovel the sidewalk.

I was looking for the Toro Electric Snowshovel and saw that Home Depot had them on sale this week. I was going to get one, and saw that the shovels were all sold out.

I will still get one when they become available, but for next season. I doubt I'll see any more anytime soon.

Unless someone has seen a bunch at the hardward stores, I'm probably out of luck .

I ordered a 20 inch blower from Pointe West Honda on Wednesday. They had 18 that where expected this coming Thursday,but I am sure by now they are all spoken for.

I just phoned the home depot.

All snowblowers sold out across Alberta.

They won't be getting any new shipments until August or September.

Hopefully I'll be able to find my shovel next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by e5realestate View Post

I'm pretty sure that the Henday falls under provincial responsibility.

Fair enough - maybe a bad example. But it is undeniable that we have expanded our road system over the last 10 years. I just wonder when the last time they looked at its feasability given the new reality of the road system we have now.

My missus and I have been shovelling snow twice a day on our driveway and sidewalk. We do the neighbours' either side of us sidewalks, too (they reciprocate). Hey, it's a good workout.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

My missus and I have been shovelling snow twice a day on our driveway and sidewalk. We do the neighbours' either side of us sidewalks, too (they reciprocate). Hey, it's a good workout.
    Me too!

Of course we had to buy a corner lot (shakes head). But, it's good fresh air and a mild workout.

If anyone needs a snow shovel, you can have mine for a mere $500.00.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Our residential steets in Avonmore were plowed on Friday. The City crews did a good job but as the snow continues the lanes are getting narrower.

My concern is the arterial roads that are getting narrowed. Places like the 63 ave underpass, an entire lane is piled with snow as is a merge lane on Yellowhead at 60th ave. The big windrows are blocking the vision of drivers an the narrow or non-existing lanes are creating additional hazards.

We got rear ended today at the Boonie Doon traffic circle. The Conners road was slick and rutted SE bound (clean the opposite direction) but I don't fault the City, the young lady without her licence was driving too fast and too close for the conditions. I'll have a chat with her mothers insurance company on Monday....
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Our residential steets in Avonmore were plowed on Friday. The City crews did a good job but as the snow continues the lanes are getting narrower.

My concern is the arterial roads that are getting narrowed. Places like the 63 ave underpass, an entire lane is piled with snow as is a merge lane on Yellowhead at 60th ave. The big windrows are blocking the vision of drivers an the narrow or non-existing lanes are creating additional hazards.

We got rear ended today at the Boonie Doon traffic circle. The Conners road was slick and rutted SE bound (clean the opposite direction) but I don't fault the City, the young lady without her licence was driving too fast and too close for the conditions. I'll have a chat with her mothers insurance company on Monday....

Oops!!!

Glad you're okay though.

The only concern is that since her daughter was not authorized to drive, the mother's insurance policy may decide to only pay up to $200k (if you're damage exceeds that: $190k for BI and $10k for property damage) because of the Absolute Liability laws in Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    Not enough.
    Seriously.

Is a grader the right tool for the job? Perhaps the city should be mounting plows on the front of all of the sanding trucks, like you see on the highways.
    This is not effective is removing the hard pack that collects on the side streets. Graders are a must as they can push the snow further off the road where a simple plow only pushes it aside.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Our alley (105/106st) got done saturday and is infinitely better.... it appeared as though all downtown alleys were being done.

great work!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Our alley (105/106st) got done saturday and is infinitely better.... it appeared as though all downtown alleys were being done.

great work!
    The alleys get some priority because the garbage trucks have to be able to get through.

All north central alleys were done in the past 48 hours, assumable to accomodate garbage & recycling trucks.

My street is still a mess but I don't care.. that's why I have a 4WD truck. They started grading the streets in Parkdale but had to move back to arterials when the snow started again.... And after seeing the massive piles of snow left once the streets are graded I actually wish they'd just leave it alone!

Some of the windrows are higher than cars and makes entering street dangerous. Hope the snow lets up and gives time for the crews to haul it away.

As I type this, there is a 45 ft moving van stuck at the corner of our street. This leaves me only one entrance/exit to our street. I can only imagine how badly he is chewing up the street.

Dashing through the snow: Edmonton grader operator charged with drunk driving

EDMONTON - An operator of snow-removal equipment in Edmonton has been charged with drunk driving.
    Police say several concerned citizens called in last Thursday to say a large grader was being driven erratically on Yellowhead Trail — one of the city's main thoroughfares.
    Reports indicated the grader was swerving in the lanes and driving on top of snow piles on the side of the road.
    Police eventually stopped the operator who was working for a private firm contracted by the city to help clean up the streets.
    Edmonton has been hit with more than 75 centimetres of snow in the last 10 days.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/can...113951544.html

This may explain some things...

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Dashing through the snow: Edmonton grader operator charged with drunk driving

EDMONTON - An operator of snow-removal equipment in Edmonton has been charged with drunk driving.
    Police say several concerned citizens called in last Thursday to say a large grader was being driven erratically on Yellowhead Trail — one of the city's main thoroughfares.
    Reports indicated the grader was swerving in the lanes and driving on top of snow piles on the side of the road.
    Police eventually stopped the operator who was working for a private firm contracted by the city to help clean up the streets.
    Edmonton has been hit with more than 75 centimetres of snow in the last 10 days.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/can...113951544.html

...It doesn't get any better.

It seems to happen almost every year. Shovel breaks and the back-up is so badly worn it's toast . . . good old plywood and a stick (third quarterback).

Strolling though Crappy Tire the other day, they had out all the hoes, rakes, hoses, sprinklers, etc.

I should rake the walks, the neighbours would have a good chuckle.
    Last edited by Frank Wilson; 18-01-2011 at 02:26 AM.

This person is a "professional" heavy equipment operator? YIKES!

Sure glad he did not damage any vehicles, and hopefully no pavement etc.

EPS made an attempt to pull-over immediately, but there was nowhere for him to do so.
    Last edited by Frank Wilson; 18-01-2011 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wilson View Post
    This person is a "professional" heavy equipment operator? YIKES!

Sure glad he did not damage any vehicles, and hopefully no pavement etc.

EPS made an attempt to pull-over immediately, but there was nowhere for him to do so.
    He fortunate nobody was killed never mind vehicles or pavement.

C2E Long Term Contributor

They are doing a great job downtown these days at snow removal, but WHY OH WHY are they grading during RUSH HOUR at 730-8 this morning? Cars were backed up all around the Leg.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^ I disagree. 104 Avenue into downtown and most of SPR not done this morning. Would that not be one of the major thoroughfares into downtown?

I noticed city hall approved discussions about a new arena yesterday and yes, I'm all for one but...

How about a new snowplow too?
    Last edited by PJC; 18-01-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Changed 104 St to 104 Ave so the post makes sense...

Strolling though Crappy Tire the other day, they had out all the hoes, rakes, hoses, sprinklers, etc.
    I saw that, too. It's ridiculous.

It was -20 and snowing all week, we still have a good 8 weeks of winter left weather, and all the stores have their spring/summer stock out.

Not only are snow shovels hard to come by, but I couldn't even find a sled or crazy carpet anywhere... Toys R Us and Wal Mart have their kiddie pools and slip and slides out, though.

He fortunate nobody was killed never mind vehicles or pavement.
    Indeed, true.

Fortunately, most drivers give heavy equipment a wide berth. DWI fatalities almost always involve excessive speed, unless pedestrians are in the wake. Luckily for the operator and other folks, Yellowhead for the most part is a non-pedestrian thoroughfare.

I saw that, too. It's ridiculous.

It was -20 and snowing all week, we still have a good 8 weeks of winter left weather, and all the stores have their spring/summer stock out.

Not only are snow shovels hard to come by, but I couldn't even find a sled or crazy carpet anywhere... Toys R Us and Wal Mart have their kiddie pools and slip and slides out, though.
    It does seem weird, not logical.

I cannot recall, do they have snow shovels/blowers, salt, ice scrapers, etc. all out in July?

I saw some kids sledding the other day with their slip n' slide. Maybe they got fed-up and just wanted to have some fun.
    Last edited by Frank Wilson; 18-01-2011 at 12:06 PM.

This is the worst I think ive ever seen the roads since I have lived in Edmonton. The amount of ruts on main roads is insane. Ive seen 4 people spinout today and do a complete 360 when trying to change lanes but a huge rut or whatever you call it down the middle between the lanes caused the spinouts.

I think I will get my suspension checked out after winter is over lol

Nothing like more snow than we've seen in 30 years to liven things up.

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
    This is the worst I think ive ever seen the roads since I have lived in Edmonton. The amount of ruts on main roads is insane. Ive seen 4 people spinout today and do a complete 360 when trying to change lanes but a huge rut or whatever you call it down the middle between the lanes caused the spinouts.
    Nearly spun out myself doing a careful lane change on 75 street

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
    Nearly spun out myself doing a careful lane change on 75 street
    99 Street and 34 Avenue have been really bad for that due to the big ruts. When everyone, including giant 4X4s etc, is going 30-40km/hr, you know the roads are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Nothing like more snow than we've seen in 30 years to liven things up.
    We kind of like it, good ol' fashion winter.

We're into snowshoes, cross-country, winter camping, etc. For us, much better than having the tween's coming down with a case of cabin fever: mind-numbing video games, and facebook.

Last weekend at Elk Island we saw a Lynx take-down some hares, later two large Barred owls gently wafted by; great stuff.

Here's a question that I am wondering about. The C of E website says that the 'blading' process in residential areas leave a base of 5cm [ which is approx 2 inches ]. Why don't they go right down to the pavement ? How much more time and money would be spent to remove any 5 cm ?

Last weekend at Elk Island we saw a Lynx take-down some hares, later two large Barred owls gently wafted by; great stuff.
    I am envious that I did not go out. Great to see wildlife

Today Council is discussing new bylaws for parking bans but they don't bother to enforce the ones they have.

After 17 straight days of snow fall, they never call an official Snow Route Ban. Instead of being able to plow all the main streets as promised in 48 hours, it took them nearly a week.

They also have 72 hour on street parking restrictions that they don't enforce either unless citizens call them in. The police do not need the citizens to call. Several years back the police chief told all the officers to put notices on all cars they suspected of parking too long in their divisions. Three days later they ticketed and towed all remaining cars. They not only filled the impound lot but had to rent another 5 acre lot to store all the cars.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

PRT, you must admit that this amount of snow is highly abnormal, what is with your hate for the Edmonton transportation department?

After 17 days of snow totaling more than we've had in more than 20 years I'm impressed it's gone as well as it has. I'm also heartened that they are moving to quickly evaluate where the problems are.

Yes it could have gone better but we have to recognize that the last couple of weeks are even remotely typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    PRT, you must admit that this amount of snow is highly abnormal, what is with your hate for the Edmonton transportation department?
    If you read my post on Jan 16, I do give them compliments as well.

Our residential streets in Avonmore were plowed on Friday. The City crews did a good job but as the snow continues the lanes are getting narrower.
    If you read my post I am supporting the transportation department while Council dithers. There are two bylaws that have been on the books for years. One, the snow route ban and second the 72 hour parking limit. If both of these are put into action and enforced, city crews would have a far easier job

See my other supportive post of the Transportation Department on the other thread

Jan 09, 2011

After the recent significant snowfall, should a snow route ban be called?

This bylaw was debated and approved with good reason by previous City Councils and all the signage was put up on bus routes and major arterials and collector route to remove parked vehicles after significant snowfalls.

Removing the cars benefits all Edmontonians:
    1. easier plowing and removal
    2. streets get cleared faster
    3. this snow fall and previous packed snow can be plowed
    4. derelict cars can be towed
    You can help by calling 311 or email your Councilors [email protected] to ask them to initiate a snow route ban.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...uncillors.aspx
    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...ow-routes.aspx
    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...now_route1.pdf

Can I ask you Hilman why you "hate" me and blindly criticize me without understanding what I have written???

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

My apologies PRT, you have complimented the city but in fairness, most of your posts are rants against them. I think considering the amount of snow, they are doing just fine.
    Last edited by Hilman; 19-01-2011 at 01:05 PM.

I think that the city should just modify the snow route ban rule. If it snows more than 2 cm, a snow route parking ban is automatically declared for 72 hours. If the road hasn't been cleared, and you park in a snow route, you get towed to a cleared street.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I think that the city should just modify the snow route ban rule. If it snows more than 2 cm, a snow route parking ban is automatically declared for 72 hours. If the road hasn't been cleared, and you park in a snow route, you get towed to a cleared street.
    2 cm is bit low. I'd say 10cm.

^ I picked an arbitrary number

Would there be any reward for those neighborhood's that moved their vehicles for the last 2 weeks and did not see a crew so far?

Quick to punish and slow to reward.

Even if they banned vehicles on all city streets today the city just doesn't have the equipment or the resources to do the job.

But, they can debate a half billion for an entertainment center!!!!
    They can toss money into a so far, losing venue - Indy racing.
    They can close the municipal airport without any concrete plan to garner revenue for the property within the normal life span of the taxpayers.

To me, it's a matter of priorities.

These things are probably all viable but not in the order in which the city chooses to deal with them.
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand;they listen with the intent to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    My apologies PRT, you have complimented the city but in fairness, most of your posts are rants against them. I think considering the amount of snow, they are doing just fine.
    The 7 foot pile of snow coupled with the 6 inch ruts lets me think otherwise.

If the city is incapable of handling such a large job then it shows a number of concerns.

1. They never planned for the boom to end, thus killing growth and stability. We outgrew our resources and now we're struggling to keep up to even mundane duties like snow removal.

I hate people who say 'I told you so', but, I said that'd happen, and it did.

2. Their inability to handle basic civic duties show that City Council is quick to throw money at bad solutions. That makes me scared about the future arena and the LRT. Glorified Field of Dreams scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dawg View Post
    Would there be any reward for those neighborhood's that moved their vehicles for the last 2 weeks and did not see a crew so far?
    Perhaps you don't know what a snow route is. It's not every street in the whole city. It's probably not even the street you live on, unless you live directly on a bus route.
    Quick to punish and slow to reward.
    I fail to see how this even makes sense. They tow vehicles when plows are in the area to a street near by that's already been cleared.

Even if they banned vehicles on all city streets today the city just doesn't have the equipment or the resources to do the job.
    Right, because they clear the SNOW ROUTES first. Its a SNOW ROUTE ban. Not every street in your local neighbourhood. And every street doesn't get plowed until there is more than 10 cms. Once their is a 10cm base, they will bladed it to 5 cm or less. Its not to the pavement. That is a big waste of money and effort for every single cul du sac in this city.

But, they can debate a half billion for an entertainment center!!!!
    They can toss money into a so far, losing venue - Indy racing.
    They can close the municipal airport without any concrete plan to garner revenue for the property within the normal life span of the taxpayers.

To me, it's a matter of priorities.

These things are probably all viable but not in the order in which the city chooses to deal with them.
    What's wrong with debating an important civic entertainment complex? I don't think our councils needs to spend every minute discussing how to clear your cul du sac more efficient. If anything, they should spend more time working on how to turn Edmonton into a more sustainable city.
    The problem is some sprawl dwellers think their little bitty side street deserves more priority than the main roads in this city.

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post

I hate people who say 'I told you so', but, I said that'd happen, and it did.
    Did your magic crystal ball also forecast record snowfalls? When was the last time you saw this much snow in such a short period in Edmonton?

I think the city has handled the roads really well, despite mother natures best attempts. I get around just fine, and I don't even have 4x4, AWD or even winter tires... Perhaps you should go to winter driving school

Rubbish Medwards. You are debating facts with your usual fiction.
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand;they listen with the intent to reply.

Which fiction? The record snow fall? The fiction about snow routes first? Or do you really mean - Oh snap! Medwards is right again and I have no rebuttal!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Haha

Just today the city moved to remove noise bylaws to get the equipment moving 24 hrs a day.
    Duh!

BTW, there was no record snowfall last year and we had the very same problem with residential snow clearance.

Rubbish Medwards! Who are you trying to snow?

Ya, in case you have not been paying attention, Council changed the bylaws and budget for snow removal since last winter.

Did you take the last year off? Maybe too much snow up the %#$%#$%

Equipment has always been able to move 24hrs/day, it just wasn't able to do so in residential areas. Why? So you and yours truly can sleep at night. But, this has been quite the snowfall (as you can see if you look outside for a few minutes), in fact, a record setting snow fall...so they need to get in there whenever they can.

Your rubbish, is again, debunked. Customer # 103423042345 now served.

So again - I'm still waiting for your rebuttal to your unsubstantiated claims above. Submit whenever you can
    Last edited by Medwards; 19-01-2011 at 07:20 PM.

I saw a truck in our neighborhood where the major bus routes are. It is so bad that it is literally down to half a lane where it was once a extended wide 2-lane street.

Our residential street still not plowed and the ruts are so bad that cars fear their struts are going to get ruined.

So much for the promise from the city that the residential streets will get plowed. Actually it's probably better they don't. Our windrows are so bad it blocks the sewer line to the drain that it ices over so bad it causes a skating rink.

Can't wait for the snow to melt though. This will be interesting.

^ the city claims every street was plowed in December...

But again - the majority of our snow fall has occcured this month (January), and the city hasn't had the chance with the repeated snow fall, to hit all the low-use residential side streets and cul du sacs (yet). Now that the snow has stopped, they are making their rounds again after first clearing the busier roads and bus routes.

I don't blame them though, they've had multiple major snow fall events in just a few days time.

But some are ready to take pitchforks to city council, forgetting just how much snow as fallen....

Ya, in case you have not been paying attention, Council changed the bylaws and budget for snow removal since last winter.

So again - I'm still waiting for your rebuttal to your unsubstantiated claims above. Submit whenever you can
    The snow is still a problem on all thoroughfares not just residential.
    What are you asleep or living in a trance?
    Most streets are just barely passable with one or more lanes blocked with snow.

Where have you been?
    Don't you go outside?
    Do you drive anywhere?

It took me 40 minutes to travel downtown today because 142 street is still blocked at roughly 100 ave closing 3 lanes into 2. That's been going on for 8 days now!
    The fact is we can't move the snow, we don't have enough equipment and the regulations prevents us from taking emergency action when it's needed. ( until today when council moved to common sense, DOUBLTLESS BECAUSE OF ALL THE COMPLAINTS)
    Did you ever consider the number of man hours lost to these inefficiencies because some people are incapable of thinking outside a very tiny box?

You really need to get outside a bit more!

What roads are you travelling down? Sure, there's places where the snow has been piled and its cut down a turning lane or made a few lanes a bit more narrow. Do you expect this city to have the capacity to remove 2 feet of snow from every single road in this city to a snow storage site within 48 hours? I'm not willing to pay for the taxes that it would require to have such a workforce and fleet on call.
    A spokesperson for the city of edmonton streets clearing team said there single biggest hold back is ... cars parked in the street!

We have had snow every day since the beginning of the year... I'm not sure what you expect. The main roads get cleared reasonable well, and then another large snowfall occurs, they get plowed reasonable well, and its continues snowing. This is not a normal occurance here in Edmonton. You're being unreasonable.

Snow & Ice Control

About the Program
    Residential Blading Schedule
    The information below was updated as of 3 pm on Wednesday, January 19 (covering activities taking place on Wednesday, Jan. 19). It will be updated again on January 20.

Please note: In the event of inclement weather, the schedule may change depending on conditions on priority routes. Should equipment be reassigned temporarily, crews will pick up exactly where they left off once the priority work has been completed. Residents are reminded that blading creates a level snow pack on the road; the equipment does not take the snow down to bare pavement.

Completed Neighbourhoods (as of Wednesday, January 19):
    Abbottsfield, Alberta Avenue, Ambleside, Athlone, Avonmore, Bannerman, Beacon Heights, Bellevue, Bergman, Blackburne, Blackmud Creek, Boyle Street, Callingwood North, Callingwood South, Cameron Heights, Canon Ridge, Carlton, Central McDougall, Clareview, Cromdale, Cumberland, Delton, Dovercourt, Downtown, Ekota, Fraser, Glastonbury, Grovenor, Haddow, Hagmann Estate Industrial, Hermitage, Hodgson, Homesteader, Hudson, Kameyosek, Kenilworth, Kernohan, Lee Ridge, Lymburn, MacEwan, Magrath Heights, McCauley, McQueen, Meyonohk, Michaels Park, Montrose, North Glenora, Oleskiw, Oliver, Ormsby Place, Ottewell, Overlanders, Oxford, Parkdale, Pembina, Prince Charles, Prince Rupert, Queen Mary Park, Richfield, Richford, Riverdale, Rossdale, Rundle Heights, Rutherford, Satoo, Sherbrooke, South Terwillegar, Spruce Avenue, Strathcona, Tamarack, Terrace Heights, Terwillegar South, Terwillegar Towne, The Grange, The Hamptons, Tipaskan, Tweddle Place, Virginia Park, Wellington, Westridge, Westwood, Woodcroft

Scheduled Neighbourhoods (to be started January 20, 2011)
    Argyll, Bearspaw, Belmont, Belvedere, Beverly Heights, Britannia Youngstown, Canora, Carter Crest, Casselman, Crestwood, Dechene, Donsdale, Eastwood, Ebbers Industrial, Elmwood Park, Ermineskin, Gariepy, Glenora, Glenwood, Gold Bar, Greenview, Hairsine, Hazeldean, High Park, Highlands, Hillview, Hodgson, Inglewood, Jamieson Place, Keheewin, Kilkenny, King Edward Park, Kirkness, Leger, Mayfield, McCleod, Meadowlark Park, Miller, Newton, Ritchie, Sifton Park, Steinhauer, Tawa, Twin Brooks, West Jasper Place, West Meadowlark Park, Westmount
    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...e-control.aspx

Even Yellowhead lanes are narrowed down to 6 feet in some places. I was beside an 18 wheeler WB just past 82nd avenue today and the outside lane narrowed down to less than a car width. Going the opposite way was not much better, the outside lane as YH passes under Fort Road was filled with snow.

This is the Trans-Canada highway and we cannot keep the lanes clear???

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post

Not to nitpick, but that photo is in a subdivision with double attached garages and driveways. you would need to have more than 4 vehicles (two in garage, two in driveway) before you had to park on the street. seems like overkill. I notice a lot of people fill their garage with 1000$ worth of junk and boxes, and then leave their $30K car out on the driveway/road.
    cars/vehicles that have not moved since summer can be called in to 311 and declared as abandoned. there's a motorcycle across the street from us hidden in a snowbank.

as mentioned elsewhere, Edmonton has some of the lowest taxes in the country. you get what you pay for.
    clearing is better in sherwood park and beaumont/leduc but they have large industrial base to collect taxes from and keep residential taxes down. st albert has good clearing, but their taxes are very high. a good incentive for the creation of a single municipality!
    I agree, can't wait to move out! lol I totally understand what you mean. But my roomates have quads and bikes. After my toolbox and all my tools and camping equipment, there's no place left for cars. That's why I'm buying my own house next summer lol.

That's a good point on the taxes. We get what we pay for.

But to top it off that garage has some serious design flaw because my little ranger doesn't even fit in lol. My roommate's mini cooper fits with roughly 4" of clearance front and back.

Even Yellowhead lanes are narrowed down to 6 feet in some places. I was beside an 18 wheeler WB just past 82nd avenue today and the outside lane narrowed down to less than a car width. Going the opposite way was not much better, the outside lane as YH passes under Fort Road was filled with snow.

This is the Trans-Canada highway and we cannot keep the lanes clear???

What's even worse is that there are cars parked on the street where those narrow roads lie. Makes me wonder if people do that so that they can get a nice insurance settlement claim.

Another thing is that I wonder if our "snow budget" really is being used up.

I wasn't aware that it cost $60 million dollars to push snow out of the way.

What roads are you travelling down? Sure, there's places where the snow has been piled and its cut down a turning lane or made a few lanes a bit more narrow. Do you expect this city to have the capacity to remove 2 feet of snow from every single road in this city to a snow storage site within 48 hours?
    <Snipped>
    You're being unreasonable.
    Yeah, I'm unreasonable all right.
    The snow removal is blunted with nowhere to put the snow because the dump area is under sized and filled up with the first snowfall.

Second, what 24" on snow? (You are exaggerating) That would be 60cm!
    Utter nonsense!

I'd like to see where that happened in the first 48 hours of our snowfall?

What about the ban on machines during the crisis? (council should have acted - it did not until just yesterday!)

What about taking the private contracters off standby so that when we needed them they had made other arrangements?

What if this snow fall turns out to be a weather trend for the foreseeable future?
    People can't get out of their homes to go to work.

We had a very similar situation last year with even less snow.

- Call in the Army!
    Last edited by Old Dawg; 20-01-2011 at 10:38 AM.

What roads are you travelling down? Sure, there's places where the snow has been piled and its cut down a turning lane or made a few lanes a bit more narrow. Do you expect this city to have the capacity to remove 2 feet of snow from every single road in this city to a snow storage site within 48 hours?
    <Snipped>
    You're being unreasonable.
    Yeah, I'm unreasonable all right.
    The snow removal is blunted with nowhere to put the snow because the dump area is under sized and filled up with the first snowfall.

Second, what 24" on snow? (You are exaggerating) That would be 60cm!
    Utter nonsense!

I'd like to see where that happened in the first 48 hours of our snowfall?

What about the ban on machines during the crisis? (council should have acted - it did not until just yesterday!)

What about taking the private contracters off standby so that when we needed them they had made other arrangements?

What if this snow fall turns out to be a weather trend for the foreseeable future?
    People can't get out of their homes to go to work.

We had a very similar situation last year with even less snow.

- Call in the Army!
    Hysterical Dawg is hysterical.
    Last year wasn't even remotely close to this amount of snow in the city.

So in attempt to think about this rationally here are some points:

• Snow removal this winter has not been adequate.
    • This is not a normal snowfall, in fact it's been over 20 years since we've seen this amount of snow.
    • However, the city road maintenance manager has said their snow removal capacity was lean even for a normal year.
    • Also, the city has not shut down, the majority of people are still making it to work (late) and services are struggling along as the road crews work as fast they can.

My thoughts are that we shouldn't budget for 20 year events but neither should we just barely be able to handle an average year. This means Council needs to address the issue and authorize the resources for this. It also means we should be considering proper snow routes where cars are towed if they're blocking those routes.

What I find annoying are Councillors and others acting like the city administration and crews are at fault. The administration works with the budget, resources, and mandates Council gives it. Right now we've starved that department of resources and are paying the price.

Finally, Edmontonians and certain Councillors need to recognize that demands for increased services and lower taxes aren't compatible. St. Albert has cleared their snow. St. Albert also has substantially higher taxes. In fact the majority of cities being mentioned as clearing their snow quickly have higher taxes than we do.

[/QUOTE]Hysterical Dawg is hysterical.
    Last year wasn't even remotely close to this amount of snow in the city.

So in attempt to think about this rationally here are some points:

• <snipped>
    Finally, Edmontonians and certain Councillors need to recognize that demands for increased services and lower taxes aren't compatible. St. Albert has cleared their snow. St. Albert also has substantially higher taxes. In fact the majority of cities being mentioned as clearing their snow quickly have higher taxes than we do.[/QUOTE]

Currently, the city has several projects on the go that could substantially increase taxes without bringing in any additional revenue.

Telling taxpayers that there is no additional funding for road maintenance on one hand and then negotiating a new ice arena and entertainment center with the other hand is disingenous at least.
    Again underwriting the Indy races , already running in the red by millions is disingenous.
    The ring roads, the Public transportation, the community multimillion dollar sports centers etc etc.

Whoa Nelly !

Let's get our priorities under control before berating the taxpayer for wanting reasonable city services.

Lastly as pointed out:
    "Last year wasn't even remotely close to this amount of snow in the city."

I fully agree and "the city" couldn't handle that either!
    Somebody needs a wake up call!

Apparently, not Old Dawg!

Snow & Ice Control

About the Program
    Residential Blading Schedule
    The information below was updated as of 3 pm on Wednesday, January 19 (covering activities taking place on Wednesday, Jan. 19). It will be updated again on January 20.

Please note: In the event of inclement weather, the schedule may change depending on conditions on priority routes. Should equipment be reassigned temporarily, crews will pick up exactly where they left off once the priority work has been completed. Residents are reminded that blading creates a level snow pack on the road; the equipment does not take the snow down to bare pavement.

Completed Neighbourhoods (as of Wednesday, January 19):
    Abbottsfield, Alberta Avenue, Ambleside, Athlone, Avonmore, Bannerman, Beacon Heights, Bellevue, Bergman, Blackburne, Blackmud Creek, Boyle Street, Callingwood North, Callingwood South, Cameron Heights, Canon Ridge, Carlton, Central McDougall, Clareview, Cromdale, Cumberland, Delton, Dovercourt, Downtown, Ekota, Fraser, Glastonbury, Grovenor, Haddow, Hagmann Estate Industrial, Hermitage, Hodgson, Homesteader, Hudson, Kameyosek, Kenilworth, Kernohan, Lee Ridge, Lymburn, MacEwan, Magrath Heights, McCauley, McQueen, Meyonohk, Michaels Park, Montrose, North Glenora, Oleskiw, Oliver, Ormsby Place, Ottewell, Overlanders, Oxford, Parkdale, Pembina, Prince Charles, Prince Rupert, Queen Mary Park, Richfield, Richford, Riverdale, Rossdale, Rundle Heights, Rutherford, Satoo, Sherbrooke, South Terwillegar, Spruce Avenue, Strathcona, Tamarack, Terrace Heights, Terwillegar South, Terwillegar Towne, The Grange, The Hamptons, Tipaskan, Tweddle Place, Virginia Park, Wellington, Westridge, Westwood, Woodcroft

Scheduled Neighbourhoods (to be started January 20, 2011)
    Argyll, Bearspaw, Belmont, Belvedere, Beverly Heights, Britannia Youngstown, Canora, Carter Crest, Casselman, Crestwood, Dechene, Donsdale, Eastwood, Ebbers Industrial, Elmwood Park, Ermineskin, Gariepy, Glenora, Glenwood, Gold Bar, Greenview, Hairsine, Hazeldean, High Park, Highlands, Hillview, Hodgson, Inglewood, Jamieson Place, Keheewin, Kilkenny, King Edward Park, Kirkness, Leger, Mayfield, McCleod, Meadowlark Park, Miller, Newton, Ritchie, Sifton Park, Steinhauer, Tawa, Twin Brooks, West Jasper Place, West Meadowlark Park, Westmount
    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...e-control.aspx
    Is there difference between South Terwillegar and Terwillegar South?
    They are both listed as completed? or maybe done twice??
    Don't see Riverbend or Brander Gardens on either listing.

Probably they are slated for April.
    What else is missing?

La Perle is missing.

I want an efficient, city-wide lrt-system, as well as interesting places and neighbourhoods for it to stop in. Let's get out priorities straight; why do my taxes have to be wasted paying for silky smooth, pot-hole free roads, in the summer, and roads free of any snow within hours of a snow fall, in the winter. It's simply disingenuous when the LRT system is not fully built out, and the city hasn't devoted sufficient resources to encouraging and developing high density, walkable, and interesting neighbourhoods.

Or, perhaps, it's about allocating scarce resources among several competing priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg

Currently, the city has several projects on the go that could substantially increase taxes without bringing in any additional revenue.

Telling taxpayers that there is no additional funding for road maintenance on one hand and then negotiating a new ice arena and entertainment center with the other hand is disingenous at least.
    Again underwriting the Indy races , already running in the red by millions is disingenous.
    The ring roads, the Public transportation, the community multimillion dollar sports centers etc etc.

Whoa Nelly !

Let's get our priorities under control before berating the taxpayer for wanting reasonable city services.

Lastly as pointed out:
    "Last year wasn't even remotely close to this amount of snow in the city."

I fully agree and "the city" couldn't handle that either!
    Somebody needs a wake up call!

Apparently, not Old Dawg!
    Where did they say there is no more money for road maintenance? Do you feel all the city revenue should be put into road maintenance?

[QUOTE=Medwards;343976]

Do you feel all the city revenue should be put into road maintenance?
    Yes I do and whatever is left over should be used to subsidize big business ventures!

... ask a silly question...
    Last edited by Old Dawg; 20-01-2011 at 05:00 PM.

^ the majority of the city disagrees with you.

No silly questions have been asked. Only silly responses to real questions at this point.

^ the majority of the city disagrees with you.

No silly questions have been asked. Only silly responses to real questions at this point.
    I don't know where you get your stats but mine came from City hall where they have registered more than 5000 calls about the snow situation. (So far...)
    None of them are complimentary BTW.

I wonder how many folks agree with me that didn't call in?
    Hey, that could be one of those hypothetical "majorities" you keep refering to.

Looks like fact beats snark again!
    Last edited by Old Dawg; 20-01-2011 at 05:03 PM.

[QUOTE=Old Dawg;344000]

Yes I do and whatever is left over should be used to subsidize big business ventures!

The only things on your list that's a big business venture is the arena proposal (not approved or funded) and the Indy. I'm with you on the Indy but it amounts to tiny amount of money compared to the snow removal budget. Henday is a provincial P3 and the vast majority of the LRT funding was Federal and Provincial.

5000 calls means we should spend all the citys money on snow removal?

5000 calls = majority some how in a city of 750,000? Are you envision Edmonton?

Here's some facts: http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents...zen-panel.aspx

[QUOTE=Paul Turnbull;344039]

The only things on your list that's a big business venture is the arena proposal (not approved or funded) and the Indy. I'm with you on the Indy but it amounts to tiny amount of money compared to the snow removal budget. Henday is a provincial P3 and the vast majority of the LRT funding was Federal and Provincial.
    Paul, you do realize that this "money" is all coming out of the same pocket ?
    It's you and you and you.
    At the risk of being the Grinch here , all I want to do is make sure that we the "taxpayers" get a decent use of the dollar we so willingly give over to people who , according to this forum, have no respect for us at all.
    I have never willingly sent money to anyone that call me silly or stupid or old or any other derogatory remark they can dream up to stop me asking pertinent questions.
    This holier than thou, the City can do no wrong, attitude here is wearing a bit thin for old Dawg the taxpayer.
    I want answers and I want truthful answers not just the doctored up ones tossed out here as partial truths and worn tritisims.
    I suggest you do the same.

Perhaps if you dropped the city is always doing everything wrong mantra that you carry around, others might be more delighted to share in your views.

You gleefully ignore the fact that this city is under a record snow fall. You seem to think that this snow fall amount is something we regularly get. We have had more snow fall in 15 days than we normally do all year. But yet, here you are crying foul...

Give it a rest. Get your parked vehicle off the road so maintenance crews can clear your street when they can get to it.

(By the way, there is south terwillegar, and Terwilligar south. They are 2 different areas... Check the ASP/NSP of the city...)

For the amount of snow we have got in the last 2 weeks, I think the city has done a really good job of keeping the main roads passable.

If I was dicator though, I would've shut the city down for 2 days after that large dump and had a snow route ban, allowing crews to get as much work done as quickly as possible before sending everyone back to work.

It was quite the snow fall after-all, it will take awhile to clean up.

We do that too but my neighbor has gone to warmer climes for the next two months. I have done my garage pad twice since it snowed and I have no where else to put the snow. I am glad I have a 4x4 and driving the back lanes and side streets have been no problem. I know it's a good workout but my back is beginning to feel it's not.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Paul, you do realize that this "money" is all coming out of the same pocket ?
    It's you and you and you.
    At the risk of being the Grinch here , all I want to do is make sure that we the "taxpayers" get a decent use of the dollar we so willingly give over to people who , according to this forum, have no respect for us at all.
    I have never willingly sent money to anyone that call me silly or stupid or old or any other derogatory remark they can dream up to stop me asking pertinent questions.
    This holier than thou, the City can do no wrong, attitude here is wearing a bit thin for old Dawg the taxpayer.
    I want answers and I want truthful answers not just the doctored up ones tossed out here as partial truths and worn tritisims.
    I suggest you do the same.
    Of course I do, however complaining to the City of Edmonton about how the Federal or Provincial governments choose to spend your money is pointless. The City has only it's own budget and it's own responsibilities to work with. They certainly can not divert funding provided expressly for major capital projects by other levels of government.

I definitely don't feel the City can do no wrong. The snow removal system does need work but administration and council are caught between an electorate that cry havoc over any tax increase and complain bitterly about any service withdrawal. Over the past decade the city has trimmed the snow removal budget to the extent that is barely able to handle a regular year let alone an exceptional one.

What I'm looking for are constructive solutions that recognize the realities of municipal financing. What I'm tired of are trite, knee-jerk attacks from people who apparently have never taken the time to actually read the city's budget documents or have a clue as to which levels of government they should be complaining to. If you think the City can trim money from existing programs and projects make sure the projects you suggest are ones the City is actually funding.

I'm tired of constant complaining and few offered solutions. To that end my proposal to the City would be to enact parking bans and snow routes and then raise the snow removal budget enough to purchase and maintain a larger fleet of our own equipment. Pulling a number out my 'hat', how about an extra $10million per year. That still puts us $10million behind Ottawa but then they get a lot more snow than we do. Ceasing to fund the Indy could cover a third of that and I'm willing to take a tax increase to handle the rest. Not to say that if someone can up with way to find the money without raising taxes I won't go for it.

I would also suggest instead of budgeting year to year they budget snow removal over a multi-year period. Winter is a fickle beast and some years require almost now snow removal and others (look out your window) require a lot more.

Finally, I would suggest that complaints of triteness from someone who refers to themselves in the third person wear a little thin.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

great work!
    The alleys get some priority because the garbage trucks have to be able to get through.
    Garbage is picked up at the front of houses in my neighbourhood, and they are still unplowed. The snow is over a foot deep, lots of ruts, and it will be a disaster once it warms up this weekend.

After 17 days of snow totaling more than we've had in more than 20 years I'm impressed it's gone as well as it has. I'm also heartened that they are moving to quickly evaluate where the problems are.

Yes it could have gone better but we have to recognize that the last couple of weeks are even remotely typical.

I have lived here almost all my life, born here, studied away for a while. The last time there was a snowfall like this, it did not take 2 weeks to start to even make a dent in removal. Face it. The city has not planned well for snow removal. It is the same story year after year. We get six months of winter. Is it so difficult to allocate resources to deal with this?

And just in case I was seeing the past through rose coloured glasses, I asked others, including my parents, if they remember snow removal being as bad as it has been the past half decade. The answer was a definite no.

the city claims every street was plowed in December...
    A lie. My neighbourhood definitely was not plowed.

Thank you, city, for the services we received for the $3800 my family paid in municipal taxes.

Perhaps if you dropped the city is always doing everything wrong mantra that you carry around, others might be more delighted to share in your views.

You gleefully ignore the fact that this city is under a record snow fall. You seem to think that this snow fall amount is something we regularly get. We have had more snow fall in 15 days than we normally do all year. But yet, here you are crying foul...

Give it a rest. Get your parked vehicle off the road so maintenance crews can clear your street when they can get to it.

(By the way, there is south terwillegar, and Terwilligar south. They are 2 different areas... Check the ASP/NSP of the city...)

For the amount of snow we have got in the last 2 weeks, I think the city has done a really good job of keeping the main roads passable.

If I was dicator though, I would've shut the city down for 2 days after that large dump and had a snow route ban, allowing crews to get as much work done as quickly as possible before sending everyone back to work.

It was quite the snow fall after-all, it will take awhile to clean up.
    Uggghh, I keep hearing about this "record" snowfall. The two back to back (+ all the other snowfall in January) was not a record snowfall, not even close really for the month of January. Yes, it's more snow then we have seen in awile but well within the realm of what could happen in a winter city. Also, we get on average 123.5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton - see 1/3 of the way down) cm of snowfall per year so the 50-60 we have gotten this month is nowhere near the "normal we get all year" you proclaim. I'm actually somewhat grateful for it as perhaps we can get meaningful improvements to the snow removal here as it is an issue EVERY SINGLE FREAKING YEAR!!!. Also 5000 calls is an enormous # of calls. How many people are upset and don't know where to call? How many don't drive. Yes there are 750K people, but the number of households is maybe 200K. 2.5% of the population calling to complain IS statistically significant. People are upset and they should be given the poor job the city has done.
    Last edited by accountingsucks; 20-01-2011 at 11:37 PM.

the city claims every street was plowed in December...
    A lie. My neighbourhood definitely was not plowed.

Thank you, city, for the services we received for the $3800 my family paid in municipal taxes.
    Ditto.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

As per CBC Edmonton's Facebook page, we had 46 cm of snow up to January 17 or 37% of our yearly snowfall average. We usually get about 20 cm a month (0.67 cm/day) compared to 2.71 cm/day this year, with most of it coming over the last week or so. So in fact, it is a record snowfall as we have only had more in 4 other years in 40 (and we are less than 2/3 through the month).

Other Big Snowfalls in January as per CBC:

A snow update from CBC Edmonton Meteorologist Stephanie Barsby: at the Edmonton International airport so far January 2011 has recorded 45.6 cm (as of 11 PM, Jan 17).
    I looked back at the month of January as far as 1970 and here are some other big January snowfalls months.....
    1999 with 46.6 cm
    1994 with 80.4 cm
    1982 with 71.7 cm
    1974 with 61.2 cm
    1971 with 55.9 cm
    Last edited by Hilman; 21-01-2011 at 01:39 AM.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast