Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5455152535455
Results 5,401 to 5,497 of 5497

Thread: West Edmonton Mall | Renovations

Can't wait! Best clothes of the top 4.
    www.decl.org

C2E Long Term Contributor

Look folks, all I am saying is that I would like a city that has great street-fronting retail, walkable streets, urban experiences and if you don't, fine, but having WEM suck up many, MANY stores that could be providing these opportunities is troubling to me. If we want a city of only malls and drive-thrus at the expense of urban mainstreets, this will be a pretty sad place to be.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Just because we acknowledge the fact that WEM is now & will continue to be the retail location with the biggest pull in Edmonton doesn't mean we're all in on car-burbia.

It's not a case of WEM taking opportunities from Downtown, it's Downtown continuing to provide few opportunities for retail outside of fast casual dining.

Where were all these sour grapes & faux outrage when the SJP shoe store was announced in WEM?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Continued Contributor

This new rogers centre was supposed to bring lot more retail into downtown. Well, it hasn't. In fact, some well known shops in downtown have closed.

so what will drive families to shop in downtown? certainly not the fact that people still have to pay to park in downtown on a saturday.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

honestly, its a case of either WEM/southgate or not at all....

Exactly.

If you're catering to the right demographic, Old Strathcona can be a viable entry point, but otherwise it's WEM & Southgate all day long.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Look folks, all I am saying is that I would like a city that has great street-fronting retail, walkable streets, urban experiences and if you don't, fine, but having WEM suck up many, MANY stores that could be providing these opportunities is troubling to me. If we want a city of only malls and drive-thrus at the expense of urban mainstreets, this will be a pretty sad place to be.
    You make a lot of assumptions about what the rest of the people on this board want, just because they are excited about a potentially very large space in WEM for a store that's a huge win to get in Edmonton. This post also is hypocritical of so many other posts you have made. For example: You want street-front retail, but have been beyond opposed to Dynalife moving out of Downtown - despite the fact that it's been pretty much proven to be a requirement for continued and improved healthcare, and anecdotally proven that many of those staff aren't actually contributing to spend in Downtown currently and the move creates tons of opportunity for new retail opportunities.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Seems extremely logical that Uniqlo would open in WEM first. I would bet the vast majority of the Edmonton population has never even heard of Uniqlo, so best to open where they will get the most exposure, foot traffic and attention. Doesn't mean they can't open stores in other areas (downtown!) in the near future if they find success at their WEM location.
    Twenty one, thirty one, and seven twenty-seven.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

In theory Uniqlo's main demographic should favor a central urban location but this is Edmonton after all and not Asia.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by glendroid View Post
    Uniqlo coming soon near the ice rink. Old Murale spot.
    Love Uniqlo, guess I will continue to buy online.
    Buying online from Canada is only available through the USA online store. How would that be a smart move as compared to shopping in your own City?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    This new rogers centre was supposed to bring lot more retail into downtown. Well, it hasn't. In fact, some well known shops in downtown have closed.

so what will drive families to shop in downtown? certainly not the fact that people still have to pay to park in downtown on a saturday.
    Agree but not so much on the cost but the time limitations and hassles.

I’d say the economic downturn has to factor in on the Rogers impact as well as downtown accessibility.

Nonetheless it’s been a long time since we’ve chosen to make a dedicated trip downtown to shop. Equal and more convenient choices are mostly available elsewhere without the hassle of driving downtown.

The cost to park downtown never enters my mind. Didn’t when I lived closer to downtown and did a lot downtown (1970s & 1980s). Just as the idea that a shopping trip my span lunchtime and we may have to stop for lunch. Just not considerations on our part. To me it’s the time, hassle and stop and go traffic to get downtown that means I’d rather drive a freeway to another perimeter quadrant than head for the centre.

Downtown residents can support their downtown businesses where their convenience beats their having to make a trip into the suburbs. However, downtown residents are more asset and space constrained/efficient so will likely buy fewer items. (Fewer yards, fewer garages, fewer workshops , fewer basements, fewer redundant rooms needing furnishings, fewer exterior roofs, walls, etc needing maintenance...). Maybe they’ll buy fewer but more expensive items.
    Last edited by KC; 10-06-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Well you're the one in charge of the DBA. Where is the business plan to address what you're promoting? How is progress being measured or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Agree. I’d say the economic downturn has to factor in as well as downtown accessibility.

Nonetheless it’s been a long time since we’ve chosen to make a dedicated trip downtown to shop. Equal and more convenient choices are mostly available elsewhere without the hassle of driving downtown.

Downtown residents can support their downtown businesses where their convenience beats their having to make a trip into the suburbs. However, downtown residents are more asset and space constrained/efficient so will likely buy fewer items. (Fewer yards, fewer garages, fewer workshops , fewer basements, fewer redundant rooms needing furnishings, fewer exterior roofs, walls, etc needing maintenance...). Maybe they’ll buy fewer but more expensive items.
    This last line is not true and census data informs us of that. But no question downtown residents buy clothes and the staples of life including furnishings.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    How is progress being measured or is it?
    I think this is the metric that matters to potential new retail:

https://www.retailcouncil.org/resear...-centre-study/

Agree. I’d say the economic downturn has to factor in as well as downtown accessibility.

This last line is not true and census data informs us of that. But no question downtown residents buy clothes and the staples of life including furnishings.
    Sorry I continued to edit.

Downtown residents simply won’t buy as much furniture unless they happen to change it out more frequently. My house has 3 fricken near redundant living rooms (a living room, a family room and a basement recreation room). I also have a deck with a gazebo and another fricken living room under it.

My ideal house was a large bungalow with a large living room and at most one very small rec/family room . Unfortunately I ended up buying the standard Edmonton house. This I would guess drives some added quantity purchases in the burbs. Also there’s yard care products. We’ve bought a lot of trees and shrubs and flowers over the years.

Clothing may be another matter. However even there I’d wonder if downtown residents maybe travel more and maybe buy more clothing in other cities. My nightmare travels are those made up of going to another city and spending my vacation days trapped in women’s clothing stores as my spouse and family or friends look for things that are somehow unobtainable at home.
    Last edited by KC; 10-06-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    How is progress being measured or is it?
    I think this is the metric that matters to potential new retail:

https://www.retailcouncil.org/resear...-centre-study/
    Interesting info.

Also interesting that they count anchors but don’t provide a count of the stores. Diversity today would interest me more than near any anchor tenant.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Uniqlo coming soon near the ice rink. Old Murale spot.
    Love Uniqlo, guess I will continue to buy online.
    Can't support Edmonton unless it's downtown eh? Not surprised.
    Instead of an urban location Downtown or on Whyte, we get another store choosing WEM. Wonderful.
    Awhh are you surprised the biggest mall in north america and Edmonton's #1 Tourist attraction and shopping center would get Uniglo? I'm going to support Edmonton workers by shopping there. Maybe you can get over yourself and 'every thing must be downtown or I stick my nose up at it' that gets plastered in a passive-aggressive fashion that we've all become all to accustom to around here.

Plenty of free and easy parking and easy access to and from the area by all by way of freeways and main thoroughfares. Simple.

Posting for Impact and because i'm mesmerized

One of Edmonton's most walkable areas if you judge everything by 'walkable' walk scores! https://www.walkscore.com/score/8882...nton-ab-canada

Think how WEM will fare once LRT goes out there. It will be a busy train. See you there downtowners. lol

is the Bay next to drop out of downtown?
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

and why should people have to pay on saturdays to park downtown? city should be paying customers to come downtown.

i don't have to pay for parking when i go to west edmonton mall, southgate, south common, kingsway etc.
    It's heaven and hell!

One of Edmonton's most walkable areas if you judge everything by 'walkable' walk scores! https://www.walkscore.com/score/8882...nton-ab-canada
    And there’s more as half or more of the surrounding neighbourhoods have nice long grassy treed walkways. To the south there’s walkways nearly all the way to the Callingwood West Edmonton Village (if that’s what it’s still called). There’s a couple footbridges over the freeway. (Too bad the freeways don’t have sidewalks or trails down to the river valley).

and why should people have to pay on saturdays to park downtown? city should be paying customers to come downtown.

i don't have to pay for parking when i go to west edmonton mall, southgate, south common, kingsway etc.
    The malls own the parking. Downtown retail mall owners could easily buy more parking and then offer it for free.

And ECC has turned space that used to be retail into parking. So cut down on available space and then complain that nobody shops there because there's not as much retail available in an easily accessible, climate controlled space. Not everyone gets a thrill out of walking 4 blocks in the the middle of winter to get from one store to the next. You don't want to walk more than 2-3 blocks to pick up some groceries.

In a city as vast as ours area wise, why can't we have both? I personally don't shop at WEM despite living a 3 minute drive from it but I can see why Uniqlo would pick them to open up in our city.

Not everyone wants the "urban experience", there's a lot of people who like to stick close to home. My parents for instance, who live in the SE, don't travel further than Southgate to do their shopping. Having suburban shopping centres is not going to make the Edmonton core regress to the dark times we remember 20-30 years ago. Striking a balance is important.
    Edmonton is a very exciting place to be right now.

The world’s largest parking lot is located in Edmonton, Canada at the West Edmonton Mall and boasts over 30,000 parking spots!

https://twitter.com/ASIpavingBoston/...11098937368578

The downtown largely did itself in.

It had the street fronts and instead of embracing street access it walled much of it off. The downtown urban experience today is largely a replication of the suburban mall experience where you get indoors and walk the malls.

As for WEM sucking up opportunities, the downtown has had 40 years, 4 decades, to match and outdo WEM. WEM being a mall that hasn’t done much in 30 years compared to a much more transformed downtown. It should be troubling that the downtown interests still haven’t been able to effectively compete against a near stagnant entity.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    The world’s largest parking lot is located in Edmonton, Canada at the West Edmonton Mall and boasts over 30,000 parking spots!

And all free, no strings attached
    Last edited by Drumbones; 10-06-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Interesting that City Centre gets more traffic than Southgate but Southgate has twice the sales. Both only have 1 department store anchor: The Bay ... but Southgate is actually a full sized department store. That said the smaller retail stores at Southgate are many, varied and stores people actually would shop at. Only WEM and Londonderry have 2 major anchors: Simons and the Bay. And the Bay at WEM, like Londonderry, Downtown and Kingsway pales in comparison to the Bay at Southgate. So Southgate is strong because of the full size Bay, and breadth of smaller shops and there is nothing near to compete. The only hope for CCM is for the Bay to abandon Kingsway and refocus on downtown. With all the changes at Kingsway and having shopped at the Bay there - it is suffering. The question for the Bay is where is it better to be: Downtown or Kingsway or to close both and walk like Holts did? Or maybe with Holts gone this is an opportunity for the Bay to establish a flagship downtown.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 10-06-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post

And all free
    Built into the prices. Nothing is free. Ever.

And there’s more as half or more of the surrounding neighbourhoods have nice long grassy treed walkways. To the south there’s walkways nearly all the way to the Callingwood West Edmonton Village (if that’s what it’s still called). There’s a couple footbridges over the freeway. (Too bad the freeways don’t have sidewalks or trails down to the river valley).
    You don't need to follow the freeway to get to the river, the footbridges over the whitemud you are talking will take you to the river.

Interesting that City Centre gets more traffic than Southgate but Southgate has twice the sales. Both only have 1 department store anchor: The Bay ... but Southgate is actually a full sized department store. That said the smaller retail stores at Southgate are many, varied and stores people actually would shop at. Only WEM and Londonderry have 2 major anchors: Simons and the Bay. And the Bay at WEM, like Londonderry, Downtown and Kingsway pales in comparison to the Bay at Southgate. So Southgate is strong because of the full size Bay, and breadth of smaller shops and there is nothing near to compete. The only hope for CCM is for the Bay to abandon Kingsway and refocus on downtown. With all the changes at Kingsway and having shopped at the Bay there - it is suffering. The question for the Bay is where is better to be or to close both and walk like Holts did? Or maybe with Holts gone this is an opportunity for the Bay to establish a flagship downtown.
    Big difference is the traffic at southgate is actually there for shopping, the traffic at city center is cutting through to get to their workplace, school or connecting transit service, or finding lunch, and few may shop.

Or maybe with Holts gone this is an opportunity for the Bay to establish a flagship downtown.
    Bwahahahahahhaha.

Southgate is the Bay's Edmonton flagship location & has been since before the Bay moved to the old Eaton's space. They'd never move it Downtown, nor would they try to run two flagship level stores in a market the size of Edmonton.

Big difference is the traffic at southgate is actually there for shopping, the traffic at city center is cutting through to get to their workplace, school or connecting transit service, or finding lunch, and few may shop.
    This.

I "visit" CCM every day or two on my way to/from work or running errands. I literally can't remember when I bought something other than food Downtown.

Even the flight from malls to Power Centres a la South Edmonton Common demonstrates that people are willing to settle for the epitome of car-centric consumerism: scattered big-box anchors across vast parking lots interspersed with clusters of semi-related retail and services, again scattered across vast parking lots. Drive-park-drive-park-drive-park. I call them Parking Malls. We've become conditioned to accepting that retail "experience", and for younger generations that's mostly all they know now.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Or maybe with Holts gone this is an opportunity for the Bay to establish a flagship downtown.
    Bwahahahahahhaha.

Southgate is the Bay's Edmonton flagship location & has been since before the Bay moved to the old Eaton's space. They'd never move it Downtown, nor would they try to run two flagship level stores in a market the size of Edmonton.
    All bay stores in edmonton are d.u.m.p.
    i find it hilarious that southgate is our "flagship" bay. In other major canadian cities, it would resemble nothing more than a zellers.
    look at bay stores in calgary and compare to ours.
    It's heaven and hell!

Agreed, all Bay stores in Edmonton suck. However, the one at Southgate sucks slightly less than the rest of them.

Yep!

recent renos to the main floor of the bay at southgate has helped a lot.

The 2nd and 3rd levels need a makeover so it doesn't look like it's stuck in the 70s

I "visit" CCM every day or two on my way to/from work or running errands. I literally can't remember when I bought something other than food Downtown.
    Exactly, most people view downtown as a place to work, play and eat but certainly not a shopping destination.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post

The 2nd and 3rd levels need a makeover so it doesn't look like it's stuck in the 70s
    Have you been in the elevator at the Southgate location? It's like stepping back in time to the 70s, almost like a time capsule.
    Edmonton is a very exciting place to be right now.

it's not just calgary's Bay stores that are better than Edmonton's. The bay stores in winnipeg are on par with calgary's.
    for some reason the Bay doesn't really give a hoot about the edmonton stores. it's like they have no pride.
    when i see that their stores have no decent makeover or continual investment in it, it tells me that their days are numbered here.

oh well, i guess it's a good store if you want an XXL orange and green shirt missing a button, that's on rack sale lol
    It's heaven and hell!

C2E Posting Power

it's not just calgary's Bay stores that are better than Edmonton's. The bay stores in winnipeg are on par with calgary's.
    for some reason the Bay doesn't really give a hoot about the edmonton stores. it's like they have no pride.
    when i see that their stores have no decent makeover or continual investment in it, it tells me that their days are numbered here.

oh well, i guess it's a good store if you want an XXL orange and green shirt missing a button, that's on rack sale lol
    Wonder where the pisser is at the DT YYC location? Try the 5th floor in the back corner....that entire floor is a gutted scene from a horror or post-apocalyptic movie......

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Even the flight from malls to Power Centres a la South Edmonton Common demonstrates that people are willing to settle for the epitome of car-centric consumerism: scattered big-box anchors across vast parking lots interspersed with clusters of semi-related retail and services, again scattered across vast parking lots. Drive-park-drive-park-drive-park. I call them Parking Malls. We've become conditioned to accepting that retail "experience", and for younger generations that's mostly all they know now.
    Hilarious!

I think this job ad confirms the uniqlo wem rumour:

https://ca.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=0...e602&from=serp

"UNIQLO West Edmonton Mall - Hiring FT/PT Sales Associates"

Interesting that City Centre gets more traffic than Southgate but Southgate has twice the sales. Both only have 1 department store anchor: The Bay ... but Southgate is actually a full sized department store. That said the smaller retail stores at Southgate are many, varied and stores people actually would shop at. Only WEM and Londonderry have 2 major anchors: Simons and the Bay. And the Bay at WEM, like Londonderry, Downtown and Kingsway pales in comparison to the Bay at Southgate. So Southgate is strong because of the full size Bay, and breadth of smaller shops and there is nothing near to compete. The only hope for CCM is for the Bay to abandon Kingsway and refocus on downtown. With all the changes at Kingsway and having shopped at the Bay there - it is suffering. The question for the Bay is where is better to be or to close both and walk like Holts did? Or maybe with Holts gone this is an opportunity for the Bay to establish a flagship downtown.
    On their way to the funicular!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XW0W7j...ature=youtu.be

Well, just wait. Everywhere I look I see the preceding modernist style reappearing. A few more years and the world will embrace the return of the 1970s

Impeccable 1972 time capsule house — 33 photos

https://retrorenovation.com/2014/01/...e-san-antonio/
    Last edited by KC; 10-06-2019 at 08:06 PM.

sorry, ian. some constructive critisism. (sorry for the long post)

city hall and enablers like you are advocating a downtown for people who just want to live just downtown. there's a snob factor to suburbia. (and that's shown via how much more difficult the city is making to access the core. more in next paragraph) dt doesnt have the critical mass of residents to support what you want. and with so much greenfield that's easily developable, i'm afraid the issues will continue.

the reality is for dt edm to thrive it needs suburbia. but combine (mostly useless) bike lanes (which, by the way look ugly af with the cheap looking concrete barriers, lol), a slow af lrt valley line being built, multiple access woes with the current lrt line with long waits at intersections and a lot of suburbia wants to avoid going dt now. plus, it's not clean, half dead trees, numerous social disorder issues and the problems just compound themselves. (it just doesn't feel safe. and people just want to feel safe)

and (with respect) where are you as the downtown cheerleader?

you've subscribed to the new urbanist agenda which only calls for people to bike, walk or take a slow train to get to their destination. you should be advocating for FAST, easy access to the core both via public transit and vehicles. the valley line is the prime example of everything wrong. the dba should be shocked the travel time from west edmonton will be 35 MINUTES!!! that is utterly unacceptable. but because it's "low floor" where anyone can "hop on/ off" with the $10 latte, you think it's fine. time is money, and why would i the dreaded suburban resident want to take the slow train. i'll just take my car the mall. and also avoid the disaster that will be the intersections to get to dt.

and why isn't the dba doing more about the social disorder? crickets. the boat has got to be rocked, because the ongoing political correctness around the issue will only keep people away. plus the general cleanliness level remains a lot to be desired.

i love thriving dt's and i want edmonton to have one, too. but it's such an uphill battle and, frankly, i, as a suburban resident, don't feel welcome there anymore.

so, don't be surprised if retailers set up at wem or that holts is leaving. dt doesn't have the critical mass. the city has ruined access and social disorder concerns dictate where private biz goes. simple.
    Last edited by thatguy; 10-06-2019 at 09:04 PM.

^ i live downtown to...get this...drive to other parts of the city easier (the plethora of food options located centrally is a bonus)

morning commutes out to capilano is bliss.

back to wem: finally stepped into the winners the other day - by far the best one in the city (since we were comparing the bays across the city)

Officially confirmed on the WEM website:

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post

Wonder where the pisser is at the DT YYC location? Try the 5th floor in the back corner....that entire floor is a gutted scene from a horror or post-apocalyptic movie......
    Downtown Calgary Bay rumoured not doing well. Not sure it would close, but that's the rumour.

That bathroom is a ridiculous location.

Southgate Bay does very well, best location in Edmonton and on par with Chinook. Kingsway Bay recently got some love, I like the design.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post

Downtown Calgary Bay rumoured not doing well. Not sure it would close, but that's the rumour.

That bathroom is a ridiculous location.

Southgate Bay does very well, best location in Edmonton and on par with Chinook. Kingsway Bay recently got some love, I like the design.
    if southgate is on par with chinook, then how come chinook looks so much better.
    our southgate elevator still has wood panel from 1970.
    It's heaven and hell!

Calgary downtown Bay is in a gorgeous building, but yea, the interior leaves a lot to be desired as well.

I think the one in WEM just lacks space....it's a bit tight in there and layout needs an update

Surprised to see Louis Vuitton full and with a line out the door on a Tuesday afternoon. Obviously a smart move to get out of downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Surprised to see Louis Vuitton full and with a line out the door on a Tuesday afternoon. Obviously a smart move to get out of downtown.

There won't be lines once the novelty wears off....

Kate Spade and Tiffany had line ups before too

There won't be lines once the novelty wears off....

Kate Spade and Tiffany had line ups before too
    What novelty???

LV has been operating in Edmonton within the Holt Renfrew store for many years. They have their clients. Now they get way more exposure at the WEM.

The novelty of having a retailer where the customers really are as opposed to where some people feel that they should be.

Mackage is also opening up at WEM as per the mall's website. Clearly, high end retailers see a market especially that Holt is closing down, I suspect that we may see more stand alone luxury stores at WEM over the next few years unless either Nordstrom or Saks (The Bay) decides to make a move to fill the gap that Holt is leaving behind.

Ps. Uniqlo will be a multi level store.

Ps. Uniqlo will be a multi level store.
    Thats is interesting. Are they cutting through the floor below? What is down there now ... or was located on the ground level?

Uniqlo will locate in a second-level retail space at West Edmonton Mall spanning just over 17,000 square feet according to lease plans, in a strategic location overlooking the mall’s indoor skating rink called the ‘Mayfield Toyota Ice Palace’. Uniqlo will occupy three retail spaces formerly occupied by Murale, Laura and Browns Shoes. Shoppers Drug Mart-owned beauty concept Murale appears to be in the process of shuttering its last stores. The former West Edmonton Mall Murale unit included about 3,000 square feet of retail space with an additional 2,665 square feet on an upstairs mezzanine level. Laura recently relocated to a new retail space at West Edmonton Mall, vacating its 10,300 square foot space next to Murale and across from the mall’s busy Lululemon and Zara stores.
    https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...-edmonton-mall

Ahh, that upper floor in Murale was left over from when it was Evelyn Charles Salon.

The 17,000 sq/f sounds big, until you look at some of their stores in Ontario which are over 30,000 sq/f.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

SJP is open

Quote Originally Posted by chinpokomon View Post
    When I was in Melbourne last year at their big Suburban mall all the high end stores had lineups to get in them. Gucci, LV, Burberry, Chanel, Prada, Hermes etc. I think its just to build hype but also they like to offer one on one customer service so they don't like to have more customers than staff. I mean you can't even get a keychain for under $300 at LV. a Keychain. insane.

SJP is open

Now I don't know about the market - but what those shoppers have on their feet look nothing like what's being sold in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyYeg View Post

What novelty???

LV has been operating in Edmonton within the Holt Renfrew store for many years. They have their clients. Now they get way more exposure at the WEM.

a lot of new stores in edmonton have line ups.
    Miniso had line ups
    plethora of stores in Wem had line ups
    new restaurants have line ups

but once you give it a month, the lineups go away....hence once the novelty wears off

I can bet you uniqlo will have a massive lineup opening day.

SJP is open

Now I don't know about the market - but what those shoppers have on their feet look nothing like what's being sold in the store.
    It's almost as if women would wear different shoes for different purposes. Should people wear formal wear when shopping for a tux?

The LV boutique at Holt's performed very well from what I've heard. This is why they decided to move into their own space.

More luxury brands are said to be in talks to open nearby as well. With the closure of downtown Edmonton’s Holt Renfrew next year, brands such as Gucci are expected to be targeted by West Edmonton Mall landlord Triple Five Corporation to open standalone units. As high-end brands are added, West Edmonton Mall is creating something of a ‘luxury wing’ similar to that of Toronto’s Yorkdale Shopping Centre. Louis Vuitton is such a strong brand that experts say that it could seal the deal for other high-end brands looking to locate nearby.
    https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...l-store-photos

Trying to catch up to Chinook Centre. They have those stores. Now chinook is going to add 2.3 million sq. ft.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 16-06-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Trying to catch up to Chinook Centre. They have those stores. Now chinook is going to add 2.3 million sq. ft.
    I don't think they have a Gucci

Gucci is in The Core.

I am guessing you have some information no one else has. If Chinook added 2.3 million sq ft of retail to the 1.4 million it now has that is 3.7 million. Can you provide a link to your information source?

Time to change the title of this discussion to "West Edmonton Mall...What's new"

^ to be fair...renos are still kind of going on

Phase 1 seems to have gotten a small facelift but looks like another 3 years before anything else will happen...

I am guessing you have some information no one else has. If Chinook added 2.3 million sq ft of retail to the 1.4 million it now has that is 3.7 million. Can you provide a link to your information source?
    there's not enough stores to fill an extra 2.3 million square feet. That has to be a typo. Unless they are adding residential and hotels etc that add up to that number.

C2E SME

It says "retail and mixed use space", which would imply multi-unit residential and/or offices in addition to the retail.

CF Chinook Centre is currently working on designs to add 2.3 million square feet of retail and mixed-use space.[6][7][8]
    Bolding mine.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    CF Chinook Centre is currently working on designs to add 2.3 million square feet of retail and mixed-use space.[6][7][8]
    Bolding mine.
    Last I heard, Chinook was adding residential and commercial buildings and possibly a hotel. Their goal is to have it as a fully inclusive community (kind of what WEM had planned before Triple5 realized they dont have any money).
    Very little of the addition would be retail - although I am sure they will add some as that mall is CROWDED!

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamEDM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Bolding mine.
    Last I heard, Chinook was adding residential and commercial buildings and possibly a hotel. Their goal is to have it as a fully inclusive community (kind of what WEM had planned before Triple5 realized they dont have any money).
    Very little of the addition would be retail - although I am sure they will add some as that mall is CROWDED!
    LOL dont have money??? tell that to this stupid bulkhead reno they are doing after only have it done 5 years ago

So what would be the highest net profit margin retailers now? or sales per lease dollar?

So what would be the highest net profit margin retailers now? or sales per lease dollar?
    Apple.

What was supposed to be a Triple Five project is now a joint venture. Everyone who's surprised, raise your hands. Sign a contract, don't follow through, get the city to cut your required contribution in half.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

It is entirely on coe property so will be city owned so why not.

Because Triple Five signed an agreement to replace the bridge. The only reason it is there is to provide access to the mall. But, signed agreements don't mean anything. They know that the city will cave like a house of sand.

The delayed hearing, initially planned for last September, was to hear an appeal from the mall on its requirement to pay for the replacement bridge within a set timeline, as outlined in a development permit condition.
    Much like Katz knows the city will give him $10 million for the plaza even after getting a brand new, $600 million arena for his private business. Must be nice to get the taxpayers to pay for the building you need in order to run your business.
    Last edited by kkozoriz; Yesterday at 10:01 AM.

The Journal story says that the overpass was damaged. I heard that it was not structurally sound and was removed.

Which is why Triple Five was required under the agreement to pay for the replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Which is why Triple Five was required under the agreement to pay for the replacement.
    I guess that begs the question..." Who approved the final inspection? "

Well...

The pedway over 170 Street near 87 Avenue has been demolished. The footbridge is the mall’s responsibility and according to area Councillor Andrew Knack, WEM had originally planned on doing some refurbishment work to bring it back up to good condition.

However, assessment work determined refurbishing the existing bridge would be far more expensive than replacing the bridge altogether. The mall made the decision to go ahead with the demolition.

According to Knack, a permit to demolish the bridge was issued by the city with the condition that it be replaced. However, Knack said the mall is currently planning to appeal the condition to replace the bridge to the Subdivision Development Appeal Board.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4354756/w...ll-footbridge/

Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5455152535455