Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728
Results 2,701 to 2,723 of 2723

Thread: Blatchford | Neighbourhood Master Plan | Discussion/Rumours

I'd rather C2E than work!

I deleted my post below as CBC has now reported the mayor has changed his position and stated "You've persuaded me to take a second look at this building and see whether there's an opportunity to be creative in a way that honours the history, but also maybe brings some partners to the table to cover the cost," Iveson said during the meeting of the executive committee".

http://bit.ly/2PJXcGr
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 28-08-2018 at 02:05 PM.

^This. Why was this not decided before the new streets and utilities were laid out? "OK, so what stays" would be pretty much the first question when designing something like this.
    There can only be one.

Just read that Donald Luxton flew to here to talk heritage and history and preservation to council. We need stronger rules like Vanocuver does in regards to heritage buildings.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

^^^Specifically he said on TV interviews after the meeting however that he thought the Aviation Museum was enough, and this would cost taxpayers $20m (how I'm sceptical...the land with Norquest could just be swapped and nothing immediately needs to be done with the hanger).
    www.decl.org

C2E Long Term Contributor
    Last edited by IanO; 10-10-2018 at 09:39 AM.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I know this project has had (and continues to have) its problems and disappointments, but I remain optimistic. I am certain there is a market for new homes with this type of location. Currently the only option for those looking to buy a new house anywhere close to downtown is to purchase a skinny house in an established neighbourhood, which usually costs at least $700k. If they can sell brand new three bedroom rowhouses/duplexes/etc for around $500k I think they will have people lining up to purchase.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

C2E SME

And that's my biggest concern: price-point hurting the marketability of the development. I think people are going to get sticker shock when they start releasing pricing.

Perhaps my sense of cost is skewed, but I have seen prices on new duplexes and triplexes in my central neighbourhood that are quite reasonable given their location. Without purchasing and demolishing an existing house I imagine their prices would be even lower. Blatchford is on my radar, and I look forward to seeing what pricing will be.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    I am certain there is a market for new homes with this type of location. Currently the only option for those looking to buy a new house anywhere close to downtown is to purchase a skinny house in an established neighbourhood, which usually costs at least $700k. If they can sell brand new three bedroom rowhouses/duplexes/etc for around $500k I think they will have people lining up to purchase.
    There are lots of 3BR duplexes, brand new, for sale at the 450-520 price point in central areas like Bonnie Doon, Forest Heights, Ritchie, etc. I can't say they'll win any design awards, but there are some nice ones. Yes, skinny SFH is usually 650K and up, depending on the neighbourhood. They seem to have no problem selling at those prices.

Given the price of the land, utilities, and the design level that the city will accept, I think a rowhouse/townhouse is going to be 600K in Blatchford and up.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    I am certain there is a market for new homes with this type of location. Currently the only option for those looking to buy a new house anywhere close to downtown is to purchase a skinny house in an established neighbourhood, which usually costs at least $700k. If they can sell brand new three bedroom rowhouses/duplexes/etc for around $500k I think they will have people lining up to purchase.
    There are lots of 3BR duplexes, brand new, for sale at the 450-520 price point in central areas like Bonnie Doon, Forest Heights, Ritchie, etc. I can't say they'll win any design awards, but there are some nice ones. Yes, skinny SFH is usually 650K and up, depending on the neighbourhood. They seem to have no problem selling at those prices.

Given the price of the land, utilities, and the design level that the city will accept, I think a rowhouse/townhouse is going to be 600K in Blatchford and up.
    Brand new in Bonnie Doon for $450-520k? Can you send me some links? I'm honestly curious as I've recently undertaken a house hunt with my wife and have never come across something like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    And that's my biggest concern: price-point hurting the marketability of the development. I think people are going to get sticker shock when they start releasing pricing.

Price will be key, for sure. I hope the prices won't be as high as you fear.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

Really?

Because all I have heard from the builders that are going through the builder selection process is that the numbers in their proformas don't make this viable on their end. I don't think we can say it is happening until there is an occupied unit...and we are still a long way from that.

C2E Long Term Contributor

My understanding was that they had over 20 interested parties, that's healthy.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by gizmoformayor View Post
    brand new in bonnie doon for $450-520k? Can you send me some links? I'm honestly curious as i've recently undertaken a house hunt with my wife and have never come across something like this.
    mls:
    E4131333
    e4126119
    e4125998/e4126303
    e4118211
    e4131612/e4126744
    e4131177
    e4128421
    e4123046
    e4128216

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    My understanding was that they had over 20 interested parties, that's healthy.
    I haven't spoken to all 20, so maybe there is a lot of enthusiasm I am not aware of.

But the ones I have spoken to were interested...to receive all the information. And now that they have it, they feel the numbers do not work for them.

C2E Continued Contributor

Land swap leads to tentative city deal with NAIT to move on to Blatchford

https://globalnews.ca/news/4539506/e...and-swap-nait/

....and, if the city were smart, they would allow developers to start building student housing and apartments on airport land as well. Put they're pie in the sky ideas in the trash can and wake up to reality.

If the city were smart, they'd extend the Metro lone to the final NAIT location and start building around there. Get the people used to taking transit instead of waiting until it's partly built up and people are getting set in their ways.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    If the city were smart, they'd extend the Metro lone to the final NAIT location and start building around there. Get the people used to taking transit instead of waiting until it's partly built up and people are getting set in their ways.
    Very good point - But this city is not very smart

This land NAIT swapped must be the land where the Ralph Klein Campus was going to be built on the east side of Gateway south of ellerslie rd. I hope so because this should get developed, it’s an eyesore when you come into the city. A very large weed patch. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    This land NAIT swapped must be the land where the Ralph Klein Campus was going to be built on the east side of Gateway south of ellerslie rd. I hope so because this should get developed, it’s an eyesore when you come into the city. A very large weed patch. I could be wrong though.
    I hope your right. That could easily see commercial development. A single larger NAIT campus will be more efficient to operate and maintain in the long term.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Does NAIT have plans for any other new buildings for their Blatchford Space? Their new building on 118 Ave is really nice. Not sure why the construction fence is still up but I hope it’s gone before permanent snow comes. The landscaping surrounding the building is one of the best parts. Also love the coloured LED lighting in the atrium.

Anyway... they’ve moved as Far East as possible so now they’ll expand to the west boundary into Blatchford. Hopefully we hear news of some plans soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Ah yes, Klein Kollege. Glad that never came to pass.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728