Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Southgate Centre

April 02, 2019
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 0725320 Blk D Lot 4A

To construct interior alterations to a CRU in an existing shopping mall, #919, ''Chachi's'', Southgate Mall. New finishes, new plumbing, new electrical, new equipment, new sprinklers, new fire alarm devices.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Here is Chachi's, which is taking over Joey's in the food court

The Sweet Jesus space is still available

The space next to LEGO is still up for grabs

Other updates

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Big Comfort is now closed. Wonder what will take over the old Sears now?

Other news:
    Chachi's is now open in the food court.
    Sweet Jesus is still empty, not sure what's happening with this.
    Purdys is moving across the hall into the space next to Lego.
    Jack & Jones is coming soon to the location next door to Poppy Barley.
    RW&Co is now open.
    There are 2 empty spaces near Guest Services.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

One of those spaces near guest services was Calendar Club. I lucked out and went into the store in the first hour of them clearing some stuff out. They had two rows of stuff that was all $5. I spent just under $90 for over $700 in merchandise. Got a lot of Christmas shopping done that day. $50 LEGO sets for $5, a Game of Thrones Risk set normally $90, just $5. They were supposed to put the rest of the store on for $5 according to one of the employees there, but when I showed up that day it was pretty much empty. Ditching high-priced stuff that cheap never made sense to me, as the company wasn’t going out of business, and they had other stores that could sell it.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Le Chateau (near the food court) will be moving into the former Calendar Club space.
    Purdys last day is today, will reopen in the new space on Sept 7.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 25-08-2019 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Wrong chocolatier

Heat torch believed to be responsible for Southgate Centre fire

Damages are estimated to be $1 million

CBC News · Posted: Sep 08, 2019

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...orch-1.5275507

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

not surprising... if it's a commercial building it's almost always a roofer or a plumber.

if it's a residential building it's almost always a smoker.

and there's almost never a fire extinguisher when/where it's really needed.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    not surprising... if it's a commercial building it's almost always a roofer or a plumber.if it's a residential building it's almost always a smoker.and there's almost never a fire extinguisher when/where it's really needed.
    Interesting there was no fire watch. Usually there is supposed to be a 2 hour fire watch at the end of the day. Looking after a rebuild where an extension cord caused the fire. (On the roof). But your assessment is right, roofers, plumbers and smokers. When its a restaurant it is almost always in the exhaust system. places that don't clean the system properly or remove the grease traps to get more ventilation. Was asked to rebalance an exhaust fan on the commercial kitchen at a south side restaurant. got up on the roof to speed the fan up. walked into about a 2" deep lake of old cooking grease. Called a friend at the fire dept, don't know what happened but sure enough 2 months later there was a fire. Thankfully the fire was contained to the roof and restaurant.

Menchies go bye bye

Purdys new location

lululemon relocating to a bigger space in the old Purdys

Big empty space a couple of spots south of Guest Services

Jack & Jones now open

Crepeworks replacing Sweet Jezus

More food court updates

Huge space available south of the food court

I think that was the other frozen yoghurt place, Tutti Frutti.

The new Purdy’s looks better than the old spot, and gives Lululemon the space to expand (their spot, Purdy’s and Lids, which is also closed).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

With Apple choosing not to open a location downtown in the Ice District, which was long ago in the plans, I wonder if they’ll take over the space Lululemon was in which Apple had originally had the option to lease after the former athletics store closed there years ago. The Southgate Apple Store is in really sad shape with terrible HVAC not designed to handle the heat all the networks and computers create. They’ve been cramped for space for years and this would give them the opportunity to both expand and revamp their current space with one of the new style stores.

Apple wasn't considering downtown were they? Wasn't that just a list by the DBA of "Business we want downtown"
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    With Apple choosing not to open a location downtown in the Ice District, which was long ago in the plans, I wonder if they’ll take over the space Lululemon was in which Apple had originally had the option to lease after the former athletics store closed there years ago. The Southgate Apple Store is in really sad shape with terrible HVAC not designed to handle the heat all the networks and computers create. They’ve been cramped for space for years and this would give them the opportunity to both expand and revamp their current space with one of the new style stores.
    No, because Lululemon isn't vacating that space, they're expanding it (into Purdy's and Lids).

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Apple wasn't considering downtown were they? Wasn't that just a list by the DBA of "Business we're entitled to downtown"
    Fixed that for you

Thanks for the apt correction
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Apple wasn't considering downtown were they? Wasn't that just a list by the DBA of "Business we want downtown"
    They were once upon a time interested in ICE District which is why they didn’t expand their tiny footprint in Southgate When they had the opportunity. The Southgate store is designed to do around $40m annually in sales and was doing around $90m in 2015 when I left. I imagine now they’re doing $110-115m but they’re having to lease offsite storage for inventory cause the back of house is far too small for everything that goes on back there. I’m shocked the current stores haven’t moved to larger locations given the opportunities for retail spaces where they are located. Maybe they’re still considering a 3rd store in the city and will keep the WEM and Southgate stores in theIr current footprint.

I'd wager we'll see some movement in the Apple Stores in town once their newer concepts & ideas for retail filter on down to their lower tier markets like Edmonton. They've had a couple starts & stops thanks to their changing of the guard at the top of retail a couple times, but I could see them moving into a far more prominent space in both malls to bring in their "town square" model which wouldn't fit in their current spaces.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

What happened to the fancy knife store, is it gone already ?

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I'd wager we'll see some movement in the Apple Stores in town once their newer concepts & ideas for retail filter on down to their lower tier markets like Edmonton. They've had a couple starts & stops thanks to their changing of the guard at the top of retail a couple times, but I could see them moving into a far more prominent space in both malls to bring in their "town square" model which wouldn't fit in their current spaces.
    I don't think WEM or Southgate have the exterior "town square" frontage that Apple is desiring. WEM is a concrete fortress with a roadway around the mall base and same with Southgate. If City Centre was "opened up" with new direct access to stores on the exterior and an open air spine in the mall - it may be a preferable location for Apple depending on the configuration. Manulife might also have some potential where Holts is right now. At least there would be the visibility and presence that we see in other Apple stores.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    At least there would be the visibility and presence that we see in other Apple stores.
    But no customers & that's the real pickle.

Anywhere can renovate & adapt, especially for a retailer/tenant with the pull of Apple, far easier than changing the shopping patterns of a million people who have shown they'd sooner shop just about anywhere rather than Downtown.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Bingo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123