Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marmot Basin

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Marmot Basin

Marmot Basin ski resort received over 60 cm of snow over the past 48 hours and is ramping up for a busy weekend of skiing.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...613/story.html

I've also noticed Marmot teaming up with Sunshine Village, which strikes me as a very clever cross-promotion.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Long Term Contributor

^cannot wait to get up there.

Ski Cams

http://www.skimarmot.com/conditions_webcams.html
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

go time!!

they give you free skiing on your birthday
    Last edited by DTrobotnik; 24-11-2011 at 03:42 PM.

sunshine marmot cards are good too
    http://www.skibanff.com/liftpasses/s...-marmot-cards/

Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    go time!!

they give you free skiing on your birthday

Sucks when your birthday is in the middle of July.

Tell me!

My Vancouver crowd who crow relentlessly about Whistler note that Marmot has neither glam nor glitz but always add, `but, hoot, that`s a nice mountain.`

Then they come back, every year.

Believe me, I and my couch know!
    ... gobsmacked

Great new lifts.
    Short lines.
    Nearly zero no-skill tourists.

<3 Marmot
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

And the quaintness of Jasper as a real getaway from it all... Love it
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    If by quaint you mean run-down and not a decent hotel room to be found, you're right. Jasper really needs some serious investment in their lodging.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Really enjoy skiing at Marmot, and enjoy the overall feel of the town of Jasper. But the past 2 winters we have ended up going to Banff for our group ski trip (3 couples) because we can get condo-style accommodation that will allow all of us to be together and has a common area to hang out in.

Jasper only has individual hotel rooms.

The Jasper Park Lodge is my favorite hotel in either Banff or Jasper.

It's expensive, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    If by quaint you mean run-down and not a decent hotel room to be found, you're right. Jasper really needs some serious investment in their lodging.
    I dont disagree with you there... and actually would say that is the one thing that is pretty embarrassing there.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Marmot Basin ski resort received over 60 cm of snow over the past 48 hours and is ramping up for a busy weekend of skiing.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...613/story.html

I've also noticed Marmot teaming up with Sunshine Village, which strikes me as a very clever cross-promotion.
    I believe the Sunshine owners have shares in Marmot as well....which is why you see the cross promos, sunshine-marmot cards, etc.

Can't wait to get there too...good bang for your buck hill, and almost no lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I dont disagree with you there... and actually would say that is the one thing that is pretty embarrassing there.
    What do you mean by "decent"? For me, a hotel room is a place to sleep between going out for dinner on Friday night and heading for the hill Saturday morning. The only things I care about a clean bed and a modicum of peace and quiet. They could use some more rooms though, I've stayed in Hinton a few times due to lack of reasonably priced rooms in Jasper.

^they are generally very dated and many needing full renovations.

I agree many of us see it that way, but a lot of tourists and non skiers who come up would like a much better experience than many of the rooms can currently give them.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    [What do you mean by "decent"? For me, a hotel room is a place to sleep between going out for dinner on Friday night and heading for the hill Saturday morning. The only things I care about a clean bed and a modicum of peace and quiet. They could use some more rooms though, I've stayed in Hinton a few times due to lack of reasonably priced rooms in Jasper.
    Consider it from the point of view of a Japanese tourist who likely spent many many thousands to fly halfway across the world, only to find that their room at the Amethyst is a sh*thole and the bathroom hasn't been renovated since the early 60's.

Jasper's Marmot Celebrates Pair of New Lifts

The official grand opening of the lifts is on October 10th. They also mention there is now a sales centre in town where you can buy lift tickets and book lessons.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

www.decl.org

99 cm in the last 7 days!!!

C2E SME

Yeah, I really don't get why they didn't just extend the new chair to the bottom of Caribou and remove that chair altogether. I assumed that's what they were doing and was surprised as heck when I saw that the chair didn't go all the way down. Not a huge deal but it left me scratching my head. The "flow" on that side of the hill is going to be really goofy, with people skiing Kiefer's Dream and Caribou Knoll and then cutting hard right to make it back over to Paradise Express, if it's even possible.

Did they also leave the old Paradise Triple as is? That's a lot of lift capacity to one spot. I thought it was being moved down to replace the old T-bar, which appears to be the case looking at their lift status online. Goofy that their trail map still shows it.

edit: ah, this one doesn't: http://www.skimarmot.com/poster-map.pdf
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 29-11-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    They also mention there is now a sales centre in town where you can buy lift tickets and book lessons.
    About freakin time!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Yeah, I really don't get why they didn't just extend the new chair to the bottom of Caribou and remove that chair altogether. I assumed that's what they were doing and was surprised as heck when I saw that the chair didn't go all the way down. Not a huge deal but it left me scratching my head. The "flow" on that side of the hill is going to be really goofy, with people skiing Kiefer's Dream and Caribou Knoll and then cutting hard right to make it back over to Paradise Express, if it's even possible.

Did they also leave the old Paradise Triple as is? That's a lot of lift capacity to one spot. I thought it was being moved down to replace the old T-bar, which appears to be the case looking at their lift status online. Goofy that their trail map still shows it.

edit: ah, this one doesn't: http://www.skimarmot.com/poster-map.pdf
    The load station is where it is due to restrictions by Parks Canada. Marmot is limited in the amount of capacity they can have from the base and a high speed quad would have pushed them over.

The old Paradise Triple is now the School House Triple and the t-bar is gone. The new Paradise Chair has it's unload/drive station where the old Triple unloaded. Both CRE and the new Paradise chair are top drives.

What an odd restriction. I understand regulating and restricting things that actually have environmental impact, like water and sewer systems, parking lots, building footprints, overall resort size, and even total number of lifts, but what is the difference between a lift that starts at the base and one that starts 100 m further up?

Marmot has revamped their web site and on first blush is seems very nice. I especially like the part where they have 62cm total snowfall already.

http://www.skimarmot.com

Awesome news, can't wait
    www.decl.org

Right now it sounds like our training this weekend may be on skis. In the last 15 years of patrolling I think we've only done that two or three times.

Marmot needs to become a resort with ski-out hotels. I love the mountain but Jasper is a dump.

^I'd love a ski-in/out there, but welcome to a national park... cannot see it happening now. Jasper definitely needs a comprehensive round of renos and investment, but personally, I like the feel of it as is. Something about it.
    www.decl.org

Being in the park it's very unlikely we're ever going to get hotels on the hill.

As for investment they've been spending like mad the last few years putting in the new lifts and they're not done yet. The rumour mill includes putting a lift to the peak or adding a lift in the Whistler Creek side.

Creekside would be awesome.

So long as they are not expanding their footprint at the base, i'd love to see a lodge with accom... not condo craziness, but a mid sized hotel.
    www.decl.org

I wish they were allowed to open in the Summer - for some DH riding action... like kicking horse or many other BC resorts do...

Would there be enough demand?
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I would imagine there's a lot of ecological concerns regarding downhill mountain biking in the summer there. I agree though, that would be fantastic. As it is most of the DH resorts are 6 hours away from Edmonton. As far as demand goes, I have no idea. Most of the times I've been to Kicking Horse or Silver Star it seems like the summer mountain biking would at best break even or help pay for KH's gondola operations to serve weddings at Eagle's Eye. It's not a big sport, and given the nature of it (moderate to severe injuries are pretty much an inevitability), I doubt it ever will be. Whistler is really the only place I've ever seen with DH where you could legitimately call it busy.

As far as the town itself, personally I much prefer it to Banff. Yes the hotel stock is getting pretty ragged, but there have been a couple new ones built in the past few years and hopefully some of the existing ones will be renovated or rebuilt in the near future.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 31-10-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Yeah with a few new or reno'd hotels Jasper would be more of a destination...but I still love it as is.

There are some new hotels in Hinton though. Too bad the hot springs aren't open in winter.

C2E Posting Power

I am sure a hotel would never happen at Marmot. Its in a park and some of the area is environmentally sensitive. Getting some fixed up hotels in Jasper would help, since a bunch of them are getting pretty rough.

I was in Banff last week and Norquay already opened! Wish I brought my gear!

Improving the hotels in town would help a lot. The irony is that current Marmot shareholders are also for the most part the hotel owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    There are some new hotels in Hinton though. Too bad the hot springs aren't open in winter.
    Another reason why Radium and Banff > Jasper
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ The Banff hotsprings are overcrowded and don't even have real geothermally heated water in winter, although they're still nice after a day of skiing.

C2E SME

I was at Radium a month ago, and thought it was kind of a joke. The main pool was barely even warm. Ended up crammed in to the small hot tub off to the side with a bunch of dudes. Awesome.

Marcel, did no one start a "Thiu lack of heat is caused by fracking, earthquakes, Global warming, Obama,..............!"
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Looks like Marmot is off to a great start this year. 123 cm snowfall already and all lifts but the Knob open. Kind of wishing my new skis were in so I could try them out instead sticking with the rock skis this weekend.

http://www.skimarmot.com/mountain-report

I just got back from a weekend of skiing. The hill was awesome and the weather great!

We took the Magicbus. $265 for transport two days skiing and hotel.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Currently dumping at Marmot. 10 cm as of this morning. 20 more is forecast for the townsite, the hill could get more.

I thought Saturday was the best day Marmot would have all season and then Sunday happened. By Sunday morning 29cm had fallen overnight, 39cm in 24 hours and 70cm in 48 hours. It was one of those mornings that pays for all the work that goes with volunteer ski patrol (the first aid, the digging out fences, packing toboggans, etc). First run down Show Off was knee to thigh deep of some of the best powder I've ever skied. It's the rare day when you get face shots at Marmot Basin!

For all the skiers and riders out there, Marmot is awesome again after a couple months of drought. The base is solid, the rocks are covered, and the snow is great.

Tons of snow still up here with 5 new overnight.
    www.decl.org

Tons of snow still up here with 5 new overnight.
    Just in time. Last weekend they had a freeze/thaw going that was leaving things a little rough in the mornings and starting to open up some bare patches. This weeks snow will help carry them through to the end of the season.

And also make my last patrol weekend, next week, much nicer.

Today was even better... Tons of shallow powder.
    www.decl.org

Marmot has released it's 2013 Long Range Plan to the public:

http://www.skimarmot.com/mountain/lo...e-plan-details

Looks like the next few years of work focusses on increased snow-making, chalet upgrades, increased parking, and glading of a few runs. No mention of any new lifts however they do mention they are participating in two wildlife studies in advance of their 2016 Long Range Plan being finalized. I expect at that point they will have to do something with the Knob Chair as they're essentially nursing it along now.

Was my first patrol weekend this season and if you're headed up be prepared for some sketchy conditions. There are some good spots but it's pretty much guaranteed you'll catch some rocks somewhere. They got 7cm last night, which will help, but they need a couple of big dumps to really improve things.

Thanks for the heads up, off to LL Sat.
    www.decl.org

I never ski early in the season... if I have to deal with rocks I want it during spring sking when i'm out in jeans and a T
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Hey Paul have you been up to Marmot in the last week or so? I'm planning on going this weekend and am looking for a heads up on conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Hey Paul have you been up to Marmot in the last week or so? I'm planning on going this weekend and am looking for a heads up on conditions.
    I was there until Wednesday. Things were improving however last night they got 36 cm so this weekend should be pretty good.

40cm of new reported... yummy.
    www.decl.org

I am off for the weekend in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I am off for the weekend in two weeks.
    Two big dumps in the last two weeks. Conditions are now officially awesome.

5 days till i take the magic bus out

For those interested, Marmot's long range plan.

https://www.skimarmot.com/mountain/l...Plan%20website
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Thanks. Surprised to not see any mention of replacement of the Knob Chair. I thought that was on the drawing board would be done fairly soon since the chair is falling apart.

Thanks. Surprised to not see any mention of replacement of the Knob Chair. I thought that was on the drawing board would be done fairly soon since the chair is falling apart.
    From what I've heard that's still a few years out as they have a fairly major impact studies to do first if they want to put a chair to the peak.

Had my first patrol weekend and Marmot is doing great for the first week of December! The storm that hammered us dropped 80 cm on them. While this caused some problems, like avalanches in the lower area, they've got it all stabilized now and most of the mountain is open. Currently closed are Eagles East, Rock Gardens, Charlie's Bowl, Thunder Bowl, Cornice, Peak, Caribou Knoll, and Upper Basin. There were even fresh tracks to be cut in some places.

Headed up this weekend but I can't ski like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUCyjpKAy6I

Early conditions look fantastic.
    www.decl.org

I was up last weekend and they were extremely good for the last weekend of November. Pretty much everything was open except Knob, Eagle's East, Caribou Knoll, Thunder Bowl, and Cornice. Lots of twigs to watch out for but overall pretty good. Hopefully they don't get a December drought because now they need snow to pile onto the base.

C2E SME

Revelstoke was pretty good last weekend, as well. Good coverage, anyways, and fairly good tracks on Saturday before it got pounded out by the teeming masses. Sunday was meh, though. The North facing areas had hardened up somewhat as there was a pretty big inversion over the weekend and temps were close to above freezing even in the shaded areas. The South facing areas got completely blasted by the Sun, and will be a nightmare once the temps drop and things harden.

As always, it doesn't much matter how much base a resort has, once they've covered up most of the rocks and small trees. It matters how good the top foot or two is. Looks like some systems are coming through later this week. Hopefully that continues and we don't see constant freeze/thaw cycles like we did all last winter. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Marmot was heavily inverted as well. Morning temp at valley bottom was -19 and the top the Paradise was 0. High on Saturday at the top to Paradise was +12.

The drought has ended.

Nice piece on avalanche control at Marmot. These are the people I'm working with when I volunteer up there.

http://alberta.ctvnews.ca/video?clip...ylistPageNum=1

So for the first time I can remember Marmot is closing early. New closing date is April 24th.

In the past they've stayed open even when the entire lower mountain wasn't skiable as there were decent amounts up high. I was up this past weekend and the upper mountain is going fast:

Low snowfall all year led to a very thin base. They've had consistent above zero temps now for a few weeks and now it's not even dropping below zero at night.

Here's hoping el nino is done by next winter.

So for the first time I can remember Marmot is closing early. New closing date is April 24th.

In the past they've stayed open even when the entire lower mountain wasn't skiable as there were decent amounts up high. I was up this past weekend and the upper mountain is going fast:

Low snowfall all year led to a very thin base. They've had consistent above zero temps now for a few weeks and now it's not even dropping below zero at night.

Here's hoping el nino is done by next winter.
    Yikes, I am heading out there this weekend. Looks like it will be a lot of chalet time!

Kokanee Freeride will be on so there should be a good party at mid. Also, once they're softened up, the runs off the Ridge chair should be alright.
    Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 18-04-2016 at 12:14 PM.

^ Is the majority of the mountain quite hard-packed most of the AM?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    ^ Is the majority of the mountain quite hard-packed most of the AM?
    Anywhere it was below freezing overnight was hard in the morning but that where that was varied. Saturday the lower mountain was softened up by 10 or so, the upper by 11, but the Ridge only softened up up high where it got more direct sunlight.

Sunday there was an overnight inversion and the day get pretty hot. The the upper was soft first thing in the morning with the lower softening up my mid morning. Ridge softened up noon and was reportedly pretty good skiing in the afternoon. Knob is only opening if it's hardened up and closing as soon as it starts to soften.

Tickets are 40% off until closing.

Closing just in time. Apparently Marmot has a bear roaming the mountain today.

Late opening this year. Now pushed to November 23rd. Looks like there's lots of snow on the upper mountain but the warm temps have held back snow making on the lower mountain.

C2E SME

Yeah, seems most mountains are in the same shape. A lot of the interior BC ones have been getting pounded the last few days, so that's good. Sunshine's elevation really helps them out, although I've heard the riding conditions there are really questionable. I was planning on doing a day of touring at Highwood Pass next weekend, but I'm wondering if it's going to be worth the drive. That's pretty high as well, so hopefully there'll be enough snow.

Marmot this past weekend was the best snow I have skied there in years... amazing stuff.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg
    www.decl.org

Was in Fernie this weekend. Tons of snow but it was too warm.

C2E SME

Fernie is screwed long term. Too low elevation wise. For comparison, Marmot Basin, Louise and Sunshine have bases 2000 feet higher. Panorama, Kicking Horse and Revelstoke have similar base elevations, but they have 4-5,000 feet of elevation gain to the top, while Fernie only has realistically about 3k (Polar Peak hardly counts).

I dunno, I'm probably just bitter because I tore my ACL January 30 and it basically hasn't stopped snowing since.

^ Fernie does have an elevation problem. They will always get at least occasional great snow, but the season will get shorter and the inconsistency will continue to get worse as more of the big snowfalls become big rains. People will hesitate to plan a trip there in advance, as there will always be a significant risk of terrible conditions. At higher elevation resorts you can hope for powder but still expect to have some fun even if it hasn't snowed in a while. Like the trip to Marmot we planned two weeks ahead and got lucky when we left 10°C in Edmonton on Friday afternoon (March 3) and arrived to 50 cm of fresh snow at the hill on Saturday morning.

In the long run I think Marmot is going to do quite well being able to stay open into April where the BC areas like Revy and Big White are finding their seasons shortening.

Marmot on track for November 10th opening this year:

C2E SME

Nice, I can hardly wait to test out my fancy new ACL! Looks like it's going to be a good start to the ski season. I'm just hoping for some consistency in temperatures and snowfall this year. Seems like the last couple have been really all over the map, with mid-winter rain events, multi-week droughts, and so on.

They're hoping for a better year as well after last year. Of note, they're intending to open Tres Hombres this year, snow permitting.

I am interested in these items from their long-range plan.

Parcel GT (Proposed) is 59.9 ha in size and located south of the existing leasehold boundary,
    and below the Eagle East/ Rock Gardens area. The boundaries were selected to avoid potential grizzly bear den sites. Development of that area would occur to support activities associated with Nordic skiing (classic and skate), snowshoeing and a teaching/ snowpark area for children. Development to support these activities may include, Nordic ski and snowshoe trails, a magic carpet, chairlifts, a tube park, ski terrain modification, and warming facilities. Details concerning development of the area will be advanced in a subsequent long
    range plan.
    • Parcel GU (proposed) is .08 ha in size and is set aside for a potential upper lift terminal on
    the Marmot Peak area. Subject to future approval from Parks Canada and following completion of the three-year mountain goat study, Ski Marmot Basin may propose using this site if terrain or other factors preclude construction of the upper terminal within the Ski
    Marmot Basin lease. The matter will be addressed in a future long range plan.
    www.decl.org

Marmot Basin is teasing some 'exciting news' later today and noting 'something big is coming'. Wonder if it is related to Paul's comments above on intending to open Tres Hombres, or something more substantial.

https://twitter.com/MarmotBasin/stat...61297404157952

Marmot Basin is teasing some 'exciting news' later today and noting 'something big is coming'. Wonder if it is related to Paul's comments above on intending to open Tres Hombres, or something more substantial.

It's possible although I hope it's about replacing the Knob Chair. It's the oldest running lift on the hill and on it's last legs.

^ That is what I am hoping for as well. New lift with slightly lower, more accessible base running higher up a bit higher on the peak. We shall see.

Why would they announce the replacement of the knob chair now? That is something that they would have to do in the summer. There is no way that is going to happen in the winter. I think that announcement would be made near the end of the year.

Now if they have already done the work, that would have been one well kept secret.

It's possible although I hope it's about replacing the Knob Chair. It's the oldest running lift on the hill and on it's last legs.
    I wonder if those things are related. Wasn't management proposing giving up the lease to the Tres Hombres area in return for some other concessions from Parks Canada, including a new Knob chair that actually goes to the summit? Threatening to allow skiers into the otherwise unused area might be a way of applying some pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Why would they announce the replacement of the knob chair now? That is something that they would have to do in the summer. There is no way that is going to happen in the winter. I think that announcement would be made near the end of the year.

Now if they have already done the work, that would have been one well kept secret.
    Stop being reasonable.

My Knob comment was more wishful thinking as I have some inside knowledge and know it will be a year or two before a call is made on that. The delay on it has to do with a wildlife (goats) study that needs to be completed.

In the end it was Tres Hombres. Now I'm curious as to what they've named the runs.

87 was opened three years ago with the bottom half of 88. They weren't named, I think, and I always called them New Knoll. I had the chance to ski the top of 88 once with an avalanche control crew but it was pretty intimidating. Very narrow, steep entrances. Looked really nice after that though. Looking forward to trying out the rest. Hopefully we get the snow for it. On the upside I know they've hired extra AC/Patrol for this so they should be able to get it open once the snow is there. In the past they wouldn't have had the staff to do proper avalanche control.

C2E SME

Nice, wasn't even aware of that area. Haven't been to Marmot much these past 5-10 years, been doing a lot more Golden/Revy or mechanized. Looks right up my alley... next season. Stupid ACL.

The new area was mentioned on Global News tonight.

So how do you get out of that area and back to a lift?

^ It will connect to the same ski-out trail as Caribou Knoll, which is already a bit of a push to get out of.

Nice, wasn't even aware of that area. Haven't been to Marmot much these past 5-10 years, been doing a lot more Golden/Revy or mechanized. Looks right up my alley... next season. Stupid ACL.
    I'll go test it out for ya.

^ It will connect to the same ski-out trail as Caribou Knoll, which is already a bit of a push to get out of.
    The trail from Tres to the Knoll is pretty fast. So fast they had to take out more trees as it was pretty sketchy blowing down it. From the Knoll back to No Show can be done on skis without too much effort but boarders may be walking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast