Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter City Strategy - Fall in love with winter again

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^ 1+ . Heated sidewalks would almost make the construction chaos worthwhile. Icy sidewalks and crosswalks have been the bane of my existence this winter. If the technology could be proven, we could consider it for other pedestrian places like the major sidewalks near the University and on Whyte Ave (spots here are particularly bad).

Eve

C2E Long Term Contributor

The Victoria park oval was incredible today. Lots of skiers as well.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^^Heated sidewalks = district heat. That's more likely a reality sooner in the ECCA redevelopment plans.
    www.decl.org

The trails for X-Country in Victoria are decent right now for those interested. I do wish, as always, pedestrians would respect ski trails more.
    www.decl.org

Default New Zealander spends his holidays in Edmonton, building an igloo.

Though this story could fit in here.

"A New Zealand man who has spent the past five weeks in Edmonton found a unique way to spend his time.

Daniel Gray and his girlfriend Kathleen Starrie came to Edmonton from New Zealand to spend the holidays with Starrie's family. Never in a million years did Gray think he'd end up spending his time building an igloo."

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/new+...240/story.html

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Though this story could fit in here.

"A New Zealand man who has spent the past five weeks in Edmonton found a unique way to spend his time.

Daniel Gray and his girlfriend Kathleen Starrie came to Edmonton from New Zealand to spend the holidays with Starrie's family. Never in a million years did Gray think he'd end up spending his time building an igloo."

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/new+...240/story.html

I was just clicking around on tumblr, and came across this. 148,992 notes or reblogs in 3 days.

These guys have probably drawn more exposure than all the other "winter city strategy" events combined - That said, although it gives their names, it doesn't actually mention Edmonton in the post.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

MOONLIGHT SNOWSHOE AND LANTERN TOUR (Family)
    $20/person

Snowshoe by moonlight from the John Janzen Nature Centre to Fort Edmonton Park. A naturalist will be your guide, helping your family discover the wonders of nature at night along the River Loop Trail. We'll enter through the palisade gates of the Fort and meet a costumed interpreter who will help you explore the Fort at night. Finish the evening around the fire with hot apple cider and a horse-drawn wagon ride to the Train Station entrance. Dress warmly.

NOTE TO PARENTS:

• Snowshoes may not fit children under 7 years of age.

• Snowshoe walk is 1 kilometre and may not be suitable for all children.

• One adult must register with child(ren).

Course # Date(s) Time

478700 Fri. Feb. 1 6:30 - 8:45 pm

478701 Fri. Feb. 1 7:30 - 9:45 pm

478702 Fri. Feb. 8 6:30 - 8:45 pm

478703 Fri. Feb. 8 7:30 - 9:45 pm

http://www.fortedmontonpark.ca/learn...s/courses.aspx
    www.decl.org

Super fun event

Saturday, February 23 at 8:00 pm

This year, Latitude 53 welcomes members and guests back for the second annual Parka Patio party! Celebrate winter in the city with our celebration of light—with outdoor heaters, warming drinks, music and snacks, and a silent art auction to support the future of contemporary art in Edmonton.

Presented in collaboration with Edmonton's WinterCity Strategy team and with music by Easy Love, Parka Patio 2013 is all about light. Be inspired by the returning sun and the stars and come shining. As well as a silent art auction, look for three one-night-only installation art projects by local creators.

Tickets are available now for $12 in advance (or $10 for members at the gallery), or $15 at the door.

http://www.latitude53.org/parka
    www.decl.org

Break on the ice

Lunch hours can be a lot more active for downtown workers thanks to the free skate rentals being offered by the City of Edmonton. On Thursdays and Fridays from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., pick up a pair of blades and enjoy gliding around the City Hall ice rink. The complimentary skate and helmet rentals are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Ice skating can be a fun addition to your fitness repertoire: according to Glamour.com, a 150-pound person ice skating at moderate intensity for 30 minutes will burn 250 calories.

When: Thursdays and Fridays, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. until Feb. 22

Where: City Hall

Admission: Free

Information: 780-442-5311, or edmonton.ca
    www.decl.org

Last 2 days to check out Ice on Whyte

http://www.iceonwhyte.ca
    www.decl.org

Parka Patio Party - Feb 23

www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

What's Happening on the Square

Sunday Swing 'N' Skate

City Hall and City Hall Plaza

Sundays in January & February

1:00 - 4:00 p.m.

The swing is coming back to City Hall, with the triumphant return of the Sunday Swing 'N' Skate!

Fabulous local bands play live music of the era in City Hall, with dance demos (and free lessons) from the Sugar Swing Dance Club. And if the great outdoors is more your thing, we'll be pumping the live music out to the skating rink on City Hall plaza, so that you can skate to the beat!

Music, dancing, and free skate rentals, who could ask for anything more?

Here's a sneak peek at the line up:

February 10 C-Jam Big Band

February 17 Billie Zizi and the Gypsy Jive

February 24 River City Big Band

Winter City Saturdays

City Hall and Churchill Square

Shop local, play local!

Visit Edmonton's Downtown Market (relocated from 104st to City Hall for the winter months) and Churchill Square from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. to enjoy:

- Free skate rentals (limited availability)
    - Drop-in family street hockey
    - Ice sculpting in the Churchill Square ice menagerie
    - Giant winter chess
    - Warming tent and fires
    - Music

http://www.edmontonarts.ca/eac_proje...urchillsquare/

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Parka Patio Party - Feb 23

Tickets are reportedly selling fast.
    www.decl.org

(http://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_r...kate_-_Web.jpg)

Take a twirl around the City Hall rink with your special someone this Valentine's Day. Skate or dance to the sounds of 1970s and ‘80s. Roast bannock over an open fire, or enjoy a cup of hot chocolate from the Kids in the Hall Bistro. Free skate and helmet rentals will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Date: Thursday February 14, 2013
    Time: 4-7pm
    Cost: Free

Please note: Poor ice conditions or severe weather may result in the cancellation of this event. Call 311 for the most up-to-date event information.
    www.decl.org

Hit up the Silver Skate Festival on Sat and Sunday. Truly one of the better family events in this city with a lot of great on site activities.

Sunday we participated in the winter triathlon, fun but very sore today.
    www.decl.org

Sat night we checked out Illuminite. Very well run, great little event and fun Ice bar at Cask and Barrel.
    www.decl.org

Just read this post about ice buildings. Seems like something we should be able to manage here. There's more pictures and explanations in the article.

http://gizmodo.com/5989259/13-ridicu...gs-made-of-ice

Implementation might be challenging, but what a great idea.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...459/story.html
    www.decl.org

I'm looking at the picture and wondering how it will work for pedestrians. When a bicycle approaches do I have to step aside to the icy patch? (Bicycles routinely play little power games on winter sidewalks.) As it is, there are large parts of the year where I have to avoid going outside because the sidewalks are too icy and dangerous.

Eve

Let's get some ideas going for 13/14 winter...

1. What about a community winter olympics: snowshoeing, x-country, skating, etc?
    2. Snow fort building competition
    3. Outdoor patio party
    4. A winter light night where people are encouraged to light up significant buildings, places etc.
    5. A guide of the top 10 things to do this winter.
    www.decl.org

Two words:
    snowball fights
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

how about a literal "skate park" as in skating on paths, then down to the traditional pond skating area, maybe an area with agility markers and obstacles and stuff?

Red Bull Ice Race. Run this down McDougall Hill Road from Hotel Mac to the Low Level Bridge.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

In the vein of winter patios, one way to foster that habit and build the winter patio culture would be for someone (I have no idea who, mind you), to hold a contest challenging bars and restaurants in the city to come up with a signature Hot Edmonton drink. Tasting and voting events could be held throughout the city on various patios throughout the winter. Maybe we get a few flair bartenders in the mix?

A new cocktail creation specifically meant to be enjoyed on a winter patio in Edmonton. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Two words:
    snowball fights
    Two more words...

Liability nightnmare
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Red Bull Ice Race. Run this down McDougall Hill Road from Hotel Mac to the Low Level Bridge.
    x2 Please.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E SME

One thing they have to push for is the cleaning and maintaining of multiuse trails so that cyclists can use these year round.

I also like the idea of better bus shelters so waiting for a bus isn't such an unpleasant experience when it gets really cold.

More restaurant patios allowed to use heaters to keep people coming out later and later into the winter.

Enough outdoor activities that will keep people outside as much as possible.

And on a sidenote. A new slogan for our winter city and everything that we be doing here could be "Edmonton, the hottest place in winter"
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

The multi use trails are cleared and cleared well.

Speaking of winterizing patios...

http://www.thegridto.com/blog-post/f...ng-themselves/
    www.decl.org

Is there regulatory stuffs that would prevent those solutions? Just curious because I'm always amazed at what is forbidden because of regulatory stuffs.

I have a lot of sympathy those those restaurants whose seat count is artificially reduced in the winter.

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Two words:
    snowball fights
    Two more words...

Liability nightnmare
    So treat it like paintball with controlled access, waivers and mandatory full face helmets? Or would that just kill the spontaneous fun?

x2 Please.
    Yes, but be ready to find a different sponsor if Red Bull doesn't bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    Two words:
    snowball fights
    Two more words...

Liability nightnmare
    So treat it like paintball with controlled access, waivers and mandatory full face helmets? Or would that just kill the spontaneous fun?
    I'm fairly certain there have been flash mob snowball fights in other cities.

C2E Continued Contributor

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

This is a new book coming out in early November. Embracing our winter and writing about it. Looking forward to getting a copy.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Sorry, 16 degrees today, window still open ....

Damn, sure there's great worth to this thread - but just AINT GOING THERE personally yet.

Denial is good.
    ... gobsmacked

Me, I've been taking advantage of the cool temperatures and non-icy sidewalks to get some walking in. I love autumn, but worry about mobility during winter.

Eve

I just want to post these thoughts from our new mayor as they fit here and serve as inspiration and on how to change perception of our changing seasons.

The first slide of my presentation asked a simple question: “Why Edmonton?”
    The presentation explained why Sarah and I choose to raise our family here, out of all the choices we had in Canada.
    Edmonton has an extraordinary education system from kindergarten to the PhD in nanotechnology. The arts scene is fantastic, unpretentious and accessible. Housing is still relatively affordable, at least relative to other Canadian cities. The river valley, sports and recreation, the romance of the dark seasons and the vibrancy of the bright ones compelled us to stay and build our family here.
    The bolded being an ethos I was born and raised with here. Raised in a Northern Euro tradition that embraced instead of avoided the changing seasons. Winter just means different activity and finding it and finding the wonder. But the "romance" of it, that's a special thought. The classic reframe to turn those dark nights into a different kind of feeling of moonlit nights, glowing streetlight orbs, flakes coming down, and the wonder that is always being outside night or day in the winter. The quiet contemplating solitude of winter nights being unmatched.

I've always viewed the changing seasons as looking at different parts of being, for a lack of words in a ying yang kind of way. With each season invoking different thoughts, expressions, pace, acceptance.

Something about Iveson. How often do you see public figures that seem so real, like all of us. He's a guy you feel like having over for coffee and discussing anything from politics, philosophy, to great novels, or how about them damned Oilers..
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-10-2013 at 10:11 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

www.decl.org

Is part of the strategy clearing the ice -- not just the snow -- off the sidewalks in the major business areas? Didn't think so.

Eve
    (who took her life in her hands crossing the street for a coffee on Sunday)

Ditto. The first snowfall of the year is all it takes to put the lie to any "active transportation strategy" in this city. But please, more articles in the newspaper about how local weather presenters need to change their language when delivering the forecast. Boosterism run amok.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    Is part of the strategy clearing the ice -- not just the snow -- off the sidewalks in the major business areas? Didn't think so.

Eve
    (who took her life in her hands crossing the street for a coffee on Sunday)
    try yes, but very challenging and complex due to responsibility... but yes, it was something we spoke to/about much
    www.decl.org

What bugs me about the Winter Strategy is less the ice which I know is a complex problem both technically and politically, but the attitude of "if you're not enjoying being outside, you are a lazy deadbeat". There's a post in one of the previous winter strategy threads where an indoor garden was proposed. It was slammed not because of the cost but because it would encourage people to spend time indoors during winter. Pedways, ditto.

Winter Strategy in and of itself is fine. I love winter. I like the snow and know what footwear to wear. I even like the cold (I only do up my coat when it gets below minus 20C). But as an older person, potential falls on random patches of ice scare me. So when the ice hit on Sunday, I went into a kind of grieving that the careless neighborhood walks I am used to are probably done for the season unless the underlying ice melts and dries and replaced by ordinary snow. It's not a good time to show me videos of people doing sports I don't do when I'm robbed of the one activity I do enjoy.

Not everyone even enjoys the cold and that should be OK. They should not be criticized by the Winter Strategy group for preferring to spend time indoors where it's warm and looking forward to the end of winter (cold, shovelling, etc.). And I'm afraid I've seen the committee cross that line all too often.

Eve

^ Indoor garden?!

Muttart?!

'Not everyone even enjoys the cold and that should be OK. They should not be criticized by the Winter Strategy group for preferring to spend time indoors where it's warm and looking forward to the end of winter (cold, shovelling, etc.). And I'm afraid I've seen the committee cross that line all too often.'

We have promoted a ton of things to do indoors to 'escape' the winter... the strategy's main focus is to compliment that with ideas on how to 'embrace' the winter, principally with outdoor activities or mixed.
    www.decl.org

Winter Strategy in and of itself is fine. I love winter. I like the snow and know what footwear to wear. I even like the cold (I only do up my coat when it gets below minus 20C). But as an older person, potential falls on random patches of ice scare me. So when the ice hit on Sunday, I went into a kind of grieving that the careless neighborhood walks I am used to are probably done for the season unless the underlying ice melts and dries and replaced by ordinary snow. It's not a good time to show me videos of people doing sports I don't do when I'm robbed of the one activity I do enjoy.
    I don't know how well the wheeled walkers, like this one from Walmart would be able to deal with snow, but it might help with balance on icy, cleared side walks, plus you get someplace to put light groceries and always have a dry place to sit on with you. A big improvement on those old shuffle walkers. I know I'll get one when I eventually need the help (Maker willing I survive that long).

I think even if you get around well enough in the summer, these chairs should be claimable against health plans when you get older for winter time walking; they're a helluva lot cheaper then hip surgery.

^
    You can also buy garments with built-in hip protection from Hipsaver.ca.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    ^
    You can also buy garments with built-in hip protection from Hipsaver.ca.

Another idea that saves the city the bother of actually doing what we pay it to do, would be to buy one of these.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=co...w=1138&bih=631

I've seen people with those walkers. My normal walk is a fast, long stride. Those devices can't accommodate that or allow full aerobic activity.

You don't have to be a frail person to worry about slippery sidewalks. In fact, a fall could turn me into someone who needs those walkers.

Eve
    (already waiting for spring)

or..

all the hipsters are getting one.

I have a pair, and I've never even had an issue with ice on sidewalks/roads.

I've been thinking of those. Do they do hard sheer ice also? I guess you get them at a place like MEC?

Eve

I've been thinking of those. Do they do hard sheer ice also? I guess you get them at a place like MEC?

Eve
    Glad to hear you're too vigorous for one of the walkers.

You can get DryGuy Grip on Traction Spikes fror $14.95 from Canadian Tire.

If Canadian Tire is out of stock, you can get the Dakota Grip Ons from Marks for $19.95.

^
    Also, I've seen people motoring along pretty good with hiking poles. This one from Canadian Tire is $19.99 has adjustable height, a built in flashlight, and one of its tips is meant for snow and ice. Between the pole and the shoe spikes, you should be able to stay stable on all but the iciest surfaces. Good luck!

Just as having the right tires on your car is important, having the right tires on your feet is also important. A couple of years ago I bought a pair of black leather Pajar boots: they are dressy, warm, and have had extremely few slippage issues.

http://www.pajar.com/us_en/othello-boca.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    In the vein of winter patios, one way to foster that habit and build the winter patio culture would be for someone (I have no idea who, mind you), to hold a contest challenging bars and restaurants in the city to come up with a signature Hot Edmonton drink. Tasting and voting events could be held throughout the city on various patios throughout the winter. Maybe we get a few flair bartenders in the mix?

A new cocktail creation specifically meant to be enjoyed on a winter patio in Edmonton. Thoughts?
    Hey guys...remember this post from September? I think someone must be watching this forum...

^long in the works actually as part of the winter city strategy.

Mulled wine wins hands down. Looking forward to this one
    www.decl.org

I figured it wasn't just stolen straight from the pages of C2E, but found it funny that the same idea could be had by numerous people and be so similar right down to some of the wording.

I, for one, can't wait to sit on a winter patio and enjoy a signature Edmonton hot drink.

Is there a date and time for that?

Patience grasshopper...
    www.decl.org

^
    Cactus Club patio would make a nice spot for this

^no no... outside outside... think winter patio party with parkas... similar to the one we held last year at Public House.
    www.decl.org

Alberta Hotel, Sherlock's (simply because it's a bit sheltered), O2's on Whyte would be pretty slick, Black Dog of course, Public House, The Pint DT, Central, etc. Virtually anywhere with a big, open and visible patio is what I'm getting at.

^better... they will be working with somewhere to host it.
    www.decl.org

I notice Madison's left all of their patio stuff out. Pretty sure last year they packed it up over the winter.

Fantastic turnout last night for the Winter City launch.

www.decl.org

Month by month guide of events/activities

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...ents_guide.pdf
    www.decl.org

Month by month guide of events/activities

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...ents_guide.pdf
    Thanks, handy to know what's coming!

Cold? Dark? Must be time for tourists to embrace winter in Edmonton

BY BILL MAH, EDMONTON JOURNAL

A new tourism campaign acknowledges Edmonton gets cold and dark, but urges potential visitors to deal with it and discover the city’s charms in winter.

“We’ve decided to play on the fact that we’re north and we’re cold and we need to celebrate that as opposed to apologize for it,” said Maggie Davison, vice-president of Edmonton Tourism, a division of Edmonton Economic Development Corp.

The concept of celebrating the cold, snow and dark is part of Edmonton’s winter city strategy, which encourages embracing the season instead of just enduring it.

The tourism campaign, which launched Friday and runs to March 31, will tell the city’s winter story to visitors and residents with paid advertising, social media and a new website, winterinedmonton.com, which will be an information hub for shopping, culture, activities and dining.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...015/story.html
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

They really should have an outdoor Santa Claus parade leading up to the tree light-up.

^ Ha, someone's reading my posts!

Edmonton’s indoor Santa Claus parade should move outdoors: organizers

Organizers for Edmonton’s indoor Santa Claus parade, Jingle On, said they hope to move the parade outdoors in the coming years to keep the event inline with Edmonton’s winter city strategy.

“I would love for this parade (to move outside),” said Katharine Hoy, the producer for the annual Jingle On Indoor Santa Claus Parade. “That is something we need to think about.”

This year’s event, which was held Dec. 1 at the City Centre mall, was Hoy’s fourth time organizing the parade and while spectators stayed warm inside, she noted she would like to see Santa Claus hit the streets of Edmonton.

“We say we are a winter city, so I think maybe in a couple of years we may have a real outside Santa Clause parade like they do in cities like Toronto,” she added.

“I would love to see an outdoor Santa Claus parade. I think Edmonton is ready for one. But in the mean time, this is what we are doing to keep the Christmas spirit alive.”
    The parade should happen the same day as the tree light-up in Churchill Square

It would be cool to see it start indoor and end outdoor at the xmas tree light up

Off to Aurdeys (again)

Back (reason for edit) $21 all in - check the podium to the right as you walk in.
    Last edited by McBoo; 04-12-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    ... gobsmacked

^^Picked one up on the weekend at Royal Bison Art & Craft Show. Makes a great gift.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Cactus Club patio is open tonight!
    www.decl.org

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 15-12-2013 at 05:24 PM.

C2E SME

It would be so nice if Rice Howard Way could see activity for winter patios. It's really too bad that there isn't a good restaurant in that multi level patio next to Sherlock Holmes on RHW.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Sabor Divino owner rumoured to be working on something
    www.decl.org

How about an artificial hot springs or outdoor hot pool - see this thread:
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=4107

Please and thank you
    www.decl.org

New Apple iPhone 5s Holiday Ad 'Misunderstood' was filmed in Edmonton.

Gran's house is on Ada Boulevard. Notice the ETS sign in the first scene.
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

Snowshoeing is awesome around Edmonton and there is also a snowshoeing series http://theyeti.ca/ which is holding a couple of races west in Parkland county.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Expect a rather large announcement about a winter thing in 2014.
    www.decl.org

Expect a rather large announcement about a winter thing in 2014.
    Are we talking world's biggest snowshoe large? Turning Telus Field into an outdoor rink large? Metropolis Festival 2.0 with a music component large?

I'm just dreaming, but I want to know more.

Conference...
    www.decl.org

I'll wait for details.

Star Trek convention?

^shrug why not

C2E Super Addict

Conference...
    Alberta Quilters Guild?
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Jokes on you this time expat. I'll have you know it is the INTERNATIONAL Quilters Guild coming our way. Perhaps you've been living under a rock but recently the globally read IQG blog named Edmonton one of the world's top 50 quilting destinations. And there are rumours the IQG are scouting locations for their new television commercial.
    Edmonton, top 50 with a bullet. Yeah baby!

Busting Some Myths

Winter in Edmonton is Better than You Might Think!
    Myth: We Live in a deep freeze for 6 months of the year.
    Reality:

Edmonton has on average:

4.2 days in the year when it is colder than -30C.
    The average temperature in January, our coldest month of the year is -11.7C.

Source: Environment Canada

Myth: Winter is a dull and boring time in Edmonton.
    Reality:

One third of Edmonton’s public celebrations take place during winter months. Last year these events attracted more than 100,000 people.

In winter you can, among other things:

Take in one of our many winter festivals
    Take in the Lunar New Year Firecrackers Parade
    Enter a deep freezer race
    Skate and toboggan
    Rent a segway and go for a ride in the river valley
    Celebrate at outdoor winter parties
    Cross country ski on our city’s 50 km of groomed trails
    Hit the slope at one of our four downhill ski hills
    Myth: You should always take wind chill into account when you dress for going outside in winter.
    Reality:

If we design our city spaces to block wind and capture the sunlight (as recommended in Edmonton’s WinterCity Strategy), we won’t have to worry so much about wind chill.

Myth: Edmonton’s Festival Season happens in the summer months.
    Reality:

As Canada’s Festival City, Edmonton boasts vibrant, exciting festivals year round.

Our winter festival season includes:

Deep Freeze
    Ice on Whyte
    The City of Light/ La Cité en Lumières and Flying Canoe Adventure Walk
    Canadian Birkebeiner Ski Festival
    Lunar New Year Extravaganza
    Silver Skate Festival
    Global Visions Film Festival
    Expanse Movement Arts Festival
    Myth: Bad winter weather forces our airport to close often.
    Reality:

Winter has the potential to become one of Edmonton’s biggest assets: providing a quality of life and competitive advantage for Edmonton.

The winter season is a novelty for the majority of people in the world: we could offer tourists ‘exotic’ cold weather experiences like ice bars and hotels, ice canoe races, winter weddings or snow camping.
    The winter season offers businesses here the opportunity to excel in certain areas, such as cold weather construction, or winter fashion design.
    Myth: Going outside in winter puts you at risk of getting sick.
    Reality:

You’re more likely to become ill if you stay inside most of the time.

Myth: Edmonton is ugly in the winter.
    Reality:

Look around!! Winter provides a gorgeous backdrop in many parts of our city: the river valley, the Alberta Legislature, the Muttart Conservatory, and in every park and most back yards. It’s not difficult to look around and find beauty during the winter months.

Myth: It is a given that outdoor street life will disappear in winter.
    Reality:

We have outdoor patios at some businesses year round in Edmonton, with more opening every year. If designed properly - to capture the sun and protect people from the wind – sitting at an outdoor patio on a sunny winter day is one of life’s great experiences.

Myth: Ideally we should create summer-like sidewalk conditions after every snowfall.
    Reality:

There’s no question sidewalks must always be safe to walk on, especially for those who have mobility challenges. But clearing all public walking surfaces down to the pavement isn’t always necessary. A thin layer of smoothed snow can be easier to navigate and allow for new forms of active winter transportation (kick-sledding or skiing). And piles of clean snow in public spaces, provide great play opportunities for children of all ages.

For more information:
    Susan Holdsworth

Title WinterCity Strategy Project Manager
    Telephone
    780-496-3664

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...ome-myths.aspx
    www.decl.org

This is the time of year when Edmonton really needs more happening - March is the month when people start to snap because the winter weather gets really tiresome, and April is the worst month of the year if it doesn't warm up. Last year we got snow right up until April 30th and everyone in the city nearly lost it.

We are OK up until the end of February. We need some events in March-April.

^I agree, but I personally don't mind March/April because by the end of March I'm already starting to grow things in the greenhouse for spring. And sorting and purchasing seeds starts in February.
    www.decl.org

(http://static.squarespace.com/static...6/?format=500w)

January 28 - 30, 2015
    Shaw Conference Centre
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Call for Field Trips and Presentations

We are excited to announce the Call for Field Trips and Presentations!

Call for Field Trips:
    We invite local groups to submit ideas for Field Trips for delegates!

Deadline is May 9, 2014!

Call for Presentations:
    We want to hear about your new research and best practices, creative projects and initiatives, and bold ideas that will shake-up the way we've traditionally done things in a winter city. How are you using winter as an asset?

Deadline is September 8, 2014!

Further details are online at www.wintercitiesconference.com

Contact Us

Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 780-436-0983 ext. 223
    www.decl.org

The WinterCity Office is proud to announce that The City of Edmonton is the
    recipient of a national urban planning award. The Canadian Institute of
    Planners (CIP) has awarded an *Award for Planning Excellence – Merit Award *in
    the category of *City and Regional Planning *for the WinterCity Strategy
    and Implementation Plan.

The Award for Planning Excellence recognizes projects for “their
    excellence, innovation, impact on the profession, implementation potential,
    and overall presentation”.

We would like to thank the very hard-working volunteer members of the
    WinterCity Advisory Council and the four Working Groups, our partners, and
    all of our winter champions. Together we are a building a great winter city.

The award will be presented at the CIP 2014 Conference in Fredericton, NS,
    July 9 – 12, 2014. Simon O’Byrne, co-chair of the WinterCity Advisory
    Council, will be in Fredericton to receive the award on our behalf. More
    information about the award can be found here:
    http://www.cip-icu.ca/web/la/en/pa/C...C/template.asp

Cheers,

The WinterCity Team.

--

*Isla Tanaka*
    WinterCity Office
    Community Initiatives
    City of Edmonton