Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
Results 2,101 to 2,121 of 2121

Thread: City Centre Mall | Renovation | Under Construction

Opened today!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Took a quick gander around the new Shoppers.
    The expanded grocery is very nice although not quite at the level of a Loblaws or Superstore.
    Huge pharmacy too.
    One critique - stairs???
    And another - the NW entrance will be a shoplifting magnate.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Surely there's an elevator

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Took a quick gander around the new Shoppers.
    The expanded grocery is very nice although not quite at the level of a Loblaws or Superstore.
    Huge pharmacy too.
    One critique - stairs???
    And another - the NW entrance will be a shoplifting magnate.
    If it's a shoplifting magnet, it'll be mitigated to avoid making shoplifting magnates.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Sorry! What I meant to say is that shoplifting in the NW corner is inevitable due to a lack of checkout space. Other than that plus the stairs instead of escalators, this is an impressive store.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

I'm sure there are a few security cameras in the area.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by realkevbo View Post
    Surely there's an elevator
    They are likely relying on the one directly outside of their doors.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Well if that's the case, I suppose this place doesn't open outside mall hours then...

C2E Hard Core Contributor

There is an elevator inside, right next to the stairs, I'm pretty sure. (I went inside very briefly to check it out yesterday... the windows are a huge improvement over the bleak basement space.)
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Where's the lifestyle posters?!? I kid, I hope it stays this way. Looking forward to checking it out, happy to have a post office above ground.
    www.decl.org

Talk about night and day. Looks like a real downtown.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Elevator inside as confirmed above. Just had a tour and I love how it changes the feel of that corner.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I hope City Centre gets a better tenant mix along with that rumored reno. Right now, even Londonderry has a more attractive tenant roster and only 1 Shoppers.
    After WEM, Southgate, and Kingsway...(no order intended) As they are all ahead of ECC.

I post ECC at a "par" with Londonderry. Londonderry wins somewhat for a better Winners store, and having a Army & Navy. ECC wins for a nice pedway with a Tim Hortons with a view while waiting in line.
    I would mostly agree with your assessment and would add they did a very good job with the renovation to Londonderry, not so much with the City Centre shuffle everything around renovation, where many things are in different places, but otherwise much the same. However, the new food court in City Centre is an improvement. Londonderry has some vacancy, but if they can fill that in the next year or two they will come out ahead of City Centre.

However, I don't know if it is as much about ranking different malls against each other as it is about ranking them currently vs. in the past. I think all the other malls have or are trying to move ahead, City Centre seems to be pedaling furiously but not getting anywhere or evn falling back.

They lost some good store and really need to get some better stores to replace them, rather than just convert the empty space to parking.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Where's the lifestyle posters?!? I kid, I hope it stays this way. Looking forward to checking it out, happy to have a post office above ground.
    Let's hope that the Shoppers Drug Mart doesn't have creeps hanging out and looking in.

^Doing what?
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Sobeys had the covers over the windows because of creeps looking in at night.

I doubt that is the reason. What would be happening in Sobey's or Shoppers that is so secret?
    www.decl.org

.. or that interesting.

I suppose if that was the real problem they could have got blinds or something. I suspect it was a "business" decision to plaster the windows with ads, which I dislike and I think creates a perceptual barrier for many customers. Anyways, the Sobeys store is no longer there, I think partly because of a number of poor business decisions, by people who were not quite as smart as they think they are.

C2E SME

^but the decision makers probably studied business at the UofA or somewhere like that and they were told that those massive posters were the in thing so how could they have been wrong?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

I think it's one of those things that people just don't think about to any degree, unless asked/forced to. When you point out how important it is to be able to see in/out of buildings to provoke a more welcoming feeling on the street, most people will come around. And it's one of those things that once you notice it, you notice it EVERYWHERE. Every strip fall is festooned with that junk. Sometimes I wonder why they even bother building them with windows.

Corporate decisions and design decisions are often mandated...
    www.decl.org

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122