Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
Results 2,101 to 2,182 of 2182

Thread: City Centre Mall | Renovation | Under Construction

Opened today!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Took a quick gander around the new Shoppers.
    The expanded grocery is very nice although not quite at the level of a Loblaws or Superstore.
    Huge pharmacy too.
    One critique - stairs???
    And another - the NW entrance will be a shoplifting magnate.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Surely there's an elevator

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Took a quick gander around the new Shoppers.
    The expanded grocery is very nice although not quite at the level of a Loblaws or Superstore.
    Huge pharmacy too.
    One critique - stairs???
    And another - the NW entrance will be a shoplifting magnate.
    If it's a shoplifting magnet, it'll be mitigated to avoid making shoplifting magnates.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Sorry! What I meant to say is that shoplifting in the NW corner is inevitable due to a lack of checkout space. Other than that plus the stairs instead of escalators, this is an impressive store.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

I'm sure there are a few security cameras in the area.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by realkevbo View Post
    Surely there's an elevator
    They are likely relying on the one directly outside of their doors.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Well if that's the case, I suppose this place doesn't open outside mall hours then...

C2E Hard Core Contributor

There is an elevator inside, right next to the stairs, I'm pretty sure. (I went inside very briefly to check it out yesterday... the windows are a huge improvement over the bleak basement space.)
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Where's the lifestyle posters?!? I kid, I hope it stays this way. Looking forward to checking it out, happy to have a post office above ground.
    www.decl.org

Talk about night and day. Looks like a real downtown.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Elevator inside as confirmed above. Just had a tour and I love how it changes the feel of that corner.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post
    I hope City Centre gets a better tenant mix along with that rumored reno. Right now, even Londonderry has a more attractive tenant roster and only 1 Shoppers.
    After WEM, Southgate, and Kingsway...(no order intended) As they are all ahead of ECC.

I post ECC at a "par" with Londonderry. Londonderry wins somewhat for a better Winners store, and having a Army & Navy. ECC wins for a nice pedway with a Tim Hortons with a view while waiting in line.
    I would mostly agree with your assessment and would add they did a very good job with the renovation to Londonderry, not so much with the City Centre shuffle everything around renovation, where many things are in different places, but otherwise much the same. However, the new food court in City Centre is an improvement. Londonderry has some vacancy, but if they can fill that in the next year or two they will come out ahead of City Centre.

However, I don't know if it is as much about ranking different malls against each other as it is about ranking them currently vs. in the past. I think all the other malls have or are trying to move ahead, City Centre seems to be pedaling furiously but not getting anywhere or evn falling back.

They lost some good store and really need to get some better stores to replace them, rather than just convert the empty space to parking.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Where's the lifestyle posters?!? I kid, I hope it stays this way. Looking forward to checking it out, happy to have a post office above ground.
    Let's hope that the Shoppers Drug Mart doesn't have creeps hanging out and looking in.

^Doing what?
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Sobeys had the covers over the windows because of creeps looking in at night.

I doubt that is the reason. What would be happening in Sobey's or Shoppers that is so secret?
    www.decl.org

.. or that interesting.

I suppose if that was the real problem they could have got blinds or something. I suspect it was a "business" decision to plaster the windows with ads, which I dislike and I think creates a perceptual barrier for many customers. Anyways, the Sobeys store is no longer there, I think partly because of a number of poor business decisions, by people who were not quite as smart as they think they are.

C2E SME

^but the decision makers probably studied business at the UofA or somewhere like that and they were told that those massive posters were the in thing so how could they have been wrong?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

I think it's one of those things that people just don't think about to any degree, unless asked/forced to. When you point out how important it is to be able to see in/out of buildings to provoke a more welcoming feeling on the street, most people will come around. And it's one of those things that once you notice it, you notice it EVERYWHERE. Every strip fall is festooned with that junk. Sometimes I wonder why they even bother building them with windows.

Corporate decisions and design decisions are often mandated...
    www.decl.org

CX Grandin sales center has moved into the "pop-up" space across from ATB.

There's also an interior design company that moved into the former jewelry store space across from McBain camera.

Really weird tenant mix these days in CCM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post

There's also an interior design company that moved into the former jewelry store space across from McBain camera.

That usually means a mall has reached as low as you can go - only thing it’s good for is a walking track when the weather outside is ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post

That usually means a mall has reached as low as you can go - only thing it’s good for is a walking track when the weather outside is ugly.
    It's far, FAR from as low as it can go. Go to Bonniedoon or an equivalent an examples of 'as low as you can go'.

C2E SME

I'm sure that City Centre Mall will get more shopper traffic once the SE LRT opens.

277272535-001
    08-May-2018
    10200 - 102 AVENUE NW
    Plan 0221698 Blk 1 Lot 1
    10222 - 102 STREET NW
    Plan 9920847 Blk A

To construct interior interior alterations for lobby renovation to an existing hotel. Delta Centre Suite Hotel, City Centre Mall

T.E.P. R-O-W CO-ORDINATION INC., ED

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    277272535-00108-May-201810200 - 102 AVENUE NW Plan 0221698 Blk 1 Lot 110222 - 102 STREET NW Plan 9920847 Blk ATo construct interior interior alterations for lobby renovation to an existing hotel. Delta Centre Suite Hotel, City Centre MallT.E.P. R-O-W CO-ORDINATION INC., ED
    This is already well under way. The rendering have it looking very fresh and white - a drastic difference from the dark finishes they used to have. Should blend in nicely with the brightness of Hudson's Bay

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post

It's far, FAR from as low as it can go. Go to Bonniedoon or an equivalent an examples of 'as low as you can go'.
    Bonniedoon has its future know and has one ..... the future is now at CCM and the future sucks.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamEDM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    277272535-00108-May-201810200 - 102 AVENUE NW Plan 0221698 Blk 1 Lot 110222 - 102 STREET NW Plan 9920847 Blk ATo construct interior interior alterations for lobby renovation to an existing hotel. Delta Centre Suite Hotel, City Centre MallT.E.P. R-O-W CO-ORDINATION INC., ED
    This is already well under way. The rendering have it looking very fresh and white - a drastic difference from the dark finishes they used to have. Should blend in nicely with the brightness of Hudson's Bay
    Is the render available to the public?

They've been working on the west elevator near Hudson's Bay for quite a while now, and all I hear these days are crickets. Anyone know when that will finally finish?

C2E SME

Two buildings that will help with how busy the mall will be is, Encore as well as the Ice district residences.

Coming soon, any day now...

Supposed to open Monday.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Supposed to open Monday.
    Doesn't look open yet. The shelves/fridges inside appear to be stocked though.

Olly Fresco's is not open yet...but any day now.
    Konz is not long for this world. Haven't been there yet though.
    Still no word on what will happen to the Subway space. It's been nearly 6 months now.

And...Olly Fresco's is open! It's a soft opening, mind you.
    Also there are a couple of empty spaces next to Fatburger.

^Nice addition to ECC. Will directly compete with Sunterra however, although maybe they're different enough and far enough apart.
    www.decl.org

Are they still building things in the upper food court? Last time I was there (probably early 2017), it looked pretty full, almost as far as it could go.

^That's where Olly Fresco's is located. So yes.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    ^Nice addition to ECC. Will directly compete with Sunterra however, although maybe they're different enough and far enough apart.
    Yes, it is a nice addition. I was a little bit skeptical at first about the third floor, but the nice thing is it is brighter and has more room. They do compete somewhat, but I think they are probably far enough apart and perhaps different enough to allow for both.

And...Olly Fresco's is open! It's a soft opening, mind you.

Some coworkers of mine were raving over the quality and selection today. I haven't been (I brown-bag it, 9 times out of 10), but I'll check it out at some point.

There's more employees then customers the way everyone was going on about wanting this opening this is sad soft open or not

First One is Always Free

Some coworkers of mine were raving over the quality and selection today. I haven't been (I brown-bag it, 9 times out of 10), but I'll check it out at some point.
    Stopped by on opening day and was a bit disappointed. Buffet is dominated by fried items. Prepacked wraps/sandwiches look pretty mediocre. Salad bar is about the same as Sunterra but more expensive. Hopefully it improves as they settle in. It's great to see more vibrancy on that floor.

June 21, 2018
    281523185-001
    10025 - 102A AVENUE NW
    Plan 1194TR Lot A

To construct interior alterations to mall kiosk. Mr. Pretzel (C225)

Renovations to the Delta Hotel entrance are now completed. Looks much better than before!
    West elevator still not finished but they were testing it out today.

^indeed, MUCH better.
    www.decl.org

Renovations to the Delta Hotel entrance are now completed. Looks much better than before!
    West elevator still not finished but they were testing it out today.
    Is it still branded as a Delta?

Indeed.
    www.decl.org

If you want some bad news?
    Eveline Charles has shuttered their beauty salon c/w with a sign saying to visit their west end location.

C2E SME

Eveline Charles has shuttered their beauty salon c/w with a sign saying to visit their west end location.
    Too bad considering more upscale clients coming to the area with the new residential towers being built nearby.

Really..well businesses are saying taxes are high downton, can't say I blame her

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Indeed.
    I ask because there is some fluidity in the global hotel market right now given Accor bought out Fairmont and are looking for expansion in the North American market. I don't know whether the MacDonald was actually owned by Fairmont or was a privately held hotel that choose to stay with the group purchased by Fairmont and be operated by Fairmont but the website shows Accor now. Maybe someone on here has some intel on that and what Accor may be thinking as it re-brands or co-brands the Fairmont group into the Accor stable of hotels. The old Presidents Club which I am member of with Fairmont is being merged with Accor (which I am also a member) and I might have not noticed the changes were it not for an email mail-out. Ripe with cash Accor will be looking to buy and build - and I hope Edmonton gets something new operating before 2026.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Really..well businesses are saying taxes are high downton, can't say I blame her
    I know property taxes have gone up a lot.

How about leasing rates?

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

I know property taxes have gone up a lot.

How about leasing rates?
    I don't know, I'll ask her the next time I see her..we go way back. She's a damned hard worker..maybe she wants to but back?
    Interesting timing..

Looks real good. I used to cut through there from the elevator and parkade at times. Wonder if I’m still allowed. ( I resemble the homeless. lol )

Next they need to do something about the exterior entrance of the Delta plus the surrounding parkades. Not to mention Cocoa's.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

The entire exterior is pretty gross except for the recent Shoppers addition.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    The entire exterior is pretty gross except for the recent Shoppers addition.
    Yep. Given the proximity, with some proper investment and modernization, CCM could tie nicely into the Ice District and the whole could be greater than the sum of its parts. Currently, it just sticks out like a sore thumb. Especially the Hudson's Bay and the parkades along 103 ave.

The interior design place is now closed and boarded up.
    Pinstripes has had a "closing soon" sale for several months now!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Pinstripes has been closing for years. Perhaps they are on a month to month and no one has taken the space.

I noticed the Evelyn Charles Academy on the third floor. Was that always there, in addition to what they had on the pedway level, or is that new? I honestly can't recall.
    www.decl.org

I think it's been there for a while but today noticed the pedway level Evelyn Charles is all covered up.

^Ya, that's what I mean. Did they move or was the Academy always there?
    www.decl.org

The Academy has always been there.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Why has Shppers Drug Mart got 2 locations in City Centre mall? I think i know my answer: Is it because there's a phase 1 and phase 2 of City Centre Mall?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Why has Shppers Drug Mart got 2 locations in City Centre mall? I think i know my answer: Is it because there's a phase 1 and phase 2 of City Centre Mall?
    They're owned by separate franchisees. ECC was previously two separate malls - ECC West was Eaton Centre, and ECC East was Edmonton Centre. Eaton Centre had a Shoppers Drug Mart, and Edmonton Centre had a Value Drug Mart. The two malls merged into ECC sometime in 2001, and Shoppers took over the Value Drug Mart in 2005.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Two separate franchises, makes sense. I knew ~ ECC West/Eaton Centre etc. I thought both malls were the same, just phase 1 ECC was phase 1, and phase 2 Was ECC West. Thanks for the history
    Last edited by envaneo; 11-07-2018 at 12:35 AM.

C2E SME

I wonder if the Shoppers Drug Marts were there back in the days of Edmonton Centre and Eaton Centre.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I wonder if the Shoppers Drug Marts were there back in the days of Edmonton Centre and Eaton Centre.
    SDM was in Eaton Centre. There was no SDM in Edmonton Centre - it had a Value Drug Mart instead (which eventually became a SDM after the malls merged).

Wasn't there a London Drugs on the lower lever of Edmonton Centre at one point?

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Yes, London Drugs opened its first Alberta store at Edmonton Centre in 1975. I'm not sure when it turned into Value Drug Mart.

There is a Bitcoin machine now located on pedway level by Thomas Cook Exchange.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Is that in the Pedway where Tim's is?

I'm intrested in Bitcoin. I might be able to afford 1 % of a penny

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chinpokomon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Yes, London Drugs opened its first Alberta store at Edmonton Centre in 1975. I'm not sure when it turned into Value Drug Mart.
    I remember London Drugs in City Centre mall in the early 1980's on my way to Royal Trust (RBC) located across from Coles.

^^Yes.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Good to know, thanks

I doubt I'll be buying bitcoin anytime soon. At ~ $8K CND for 1 coin?

C2E Posting Power

$8,000? Last time I looked I saw $14,000 USD for a coin.....

You can buy whatever amount you want. Doesn't have to be a whole coin.
    www.decl.org

Just like Bre-X or magic beans, sure to be a fantastic investment
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by nick5150 View Post
    Pinstripes has been closing for years. Perhaps they are on a month to month and no one has taken the space.
    Pinstripes is not closing. Instead they are rebranding as "Labels".

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122