Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,600 of 3815

Thread: Air Service Development, Routes, and carrier conversations

Yes, YEG is very much a regional airport these days. A glance at their flight board is indicative of such. In comparison, YYC offers a strong breadth of USA direct flights and has been building out their international direct ( Frankfurt, London, Mexico City, Tokyo, Beijing, etc.) with success. What I don't get is why Edmonton metro with only a couple hundred thousand less people than Calgary metro is so subservient to them and is relegated to a feeder airport for Calgary for pretty much everything, including to places in Western Canada. If anything Edmonton should be a focus city in its own right and act as a conduit for Northern Alberta to a broader array of destinations direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    do not be concerned about YYC - they will be fine. It’s YEG that’s in trouble.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I agree with your comments. The only correction I would add is that the Calgary metro area is only about 80K larger than Edmonton. That is what frustrates me the most about the airport situation. We are basically the same size.

I'd rather C2E than work!

2016 Census Metropolitan Areas. Calgary 1,392,000 and Edmonton 1,321,000. It's that close.

C2E SME

Edmonton really needs to get cracking as a region. Sure, we have over 1.3 million people, but we have more work to do to work as a region.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Continued Contributor

Pretty tough for YEG to recover as both major national airlines have their hub and feeder business models firmly entrenched and international carriers are just reinforng that model by their route decisions.

Default YEG-SFO direct

Looks like Air Canada tossed us a bone...I think this would be there 1 and only transborder direct from Edmonton.

Air Canada Expands its North American Network with New Transborder Routes starting Spring 2018

NEWS PROVIDED BY
    Air Canada 07:00 ET
    SHARE THIS ARTICLE

• Toronto to Omaha and Providence
    • Montreal to Baltimore and Pittsburgh
    • Vancouver to Sacramento
    • Edmonton to San Francisco

MONTREAL, Nov. 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ - Air Canada today announced several new non-stop year-round transborder routes will begin Spring 2018 from Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton and Vancouver. All new flights are now available for purchase.

"We continue to strategically expand our already extensive North American transborder network to offer the only services from Canada to Sacramento, Omaha, Providence, and flights from additional Canadian airports to Baltimore, Pittsburgh and San Francisco," said Benjamin Smith, President, Passenger Airlines at Air Canada. "As the largest foreign carrier serving the USA, we are pleased to offer customers even more non-stop travel choices between Canada and the US, as well as the ability to conveniently connect onward through our extensive global network at our Canadian hubs on North America's Best Airline as rated by Skytrax."
    All flights are timed to connect conveniently with Air Canada's global schedule, and provide for Aeroplan accumulation and redemption, Star Alliance reciprocal benefits, and for eligible customers, priority check-in, Maple Leaf Lounge access at mainline Canadian airports, priority boarding and other benefits.
    Vancouver-Sacramento Daily May 17, 2018 Year-round Air Canada Express 76
    seat CRJ-705/900
    Edmonton-San Francisco Daily May 1, 2018 Year-round Air Canada Express 76
    seat CRJ-705/900
    Toronto-Omaha Daily May 1, 2018 Year-round Air Canada Express 50-
    seat CRJ
    Toronto-Providence Daily May 17, 2018 Summer seasonal Air Canada Express 50-
    seat CRJ
    Montreal-Baltimore Daily May 17, 2018 Year-round Air Canada Express 50-
    seat CRJ
    Montreal-Pittsburgh Daily May 17, 2018 Year-round Air Canada Express 50-
    seat CRJ

Today's new routes complement Air Canada's previously announced new non-stop international services beginning 2018: Vancouver-Paris; Vancouver-Zurich; Vancouver-Melbourne, originally planned as winter seasonal now operating year-round starting June; Toronto-Shannon, Toronto-Zagreb; Toronto-Porto; Toronto-Bucharest; Toronto-Buenos Aires; Montreal-Tokyo-Narita; Montreal-Dublin; Montreal-Bucharest; and Montreal-Lisbon.
    About Air Canada
    Air Canada is Canada's largest domestic and international airline serving more than 200 airports on six continents. Canada's flag carrier is among the 20 largest airlines in the world and in 2016 served close to 45 million customers. Air Canada provides scheduled passenger service directly to 64 airports in Canada, 60 in the United States and 98 in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia, Australia, the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America and South America. Air Canada is a founding member of Star Alliance, the world's most comprehensive air transportation network serving 1,300 airports in 191 countries. Air Canada is the only international network carrier in North America to receive a Four-Star ranking according to independent U.K. research firm Skytrax, which also named Air Canada the 2017 Best Airline in North America. For more information, please visit: www.aircanada.com, follow @AirCanada on Twitter and join Air Canada on Facebook.

SOURCE Air Canada
    Related Links

www.aircanada.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    Pretty tough for YEG to recover as both major national airlines have their hub and feeder business models firmly entrenched and international carriers are just reinforng that model by their route decisions.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Edmonton-San Francisco
    Daily
    May 1, 2018
    Year-round
    Air Canada Express 76
    seat CRJ-705/900
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I agree with your comments. The only correction I would add is that the Calgary metro area is only about 80K larger than Edmonton. That is what frustrates me the most about the airport situation. We are basically the same size.
    What frustrates me is every one who connects anywhere ex-YYC when they start in YEG.

Very interesting about SFO with AC. For some reason in my head i had thought if AC was to rejoin the trans-border market from YEG it would have operated Chicago or LAX to start. SFO is great option as well and a route we didn't have at the moment.

16:10 Departure YEG-SFO Arrive 18:10
    11:50 Departure SFO-YEG Arrive 15:35

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    The timing is pretty lousy for anyone looking to connect on either side.

We'll take it, I guess.

Excited for this. Haven't been to SFO but great option to US, Central America or Asia.
    www.decl.org

Damn, this would've be handy earlier this year when I went to SFO. Had to go through SeaTac and Portland on the way down. Seatac only on the way back up.

3 hours with this new flight, over 5+ going through seatac, and that's if you can minimize the time between connections.

Sweet. Love SFO - great BART service to the bay area - and (this is sweet) express bus service from the airport to Napa.
    ... gobsmacked

Yes threw us a bone. Nice of AC to do that.

It's no Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card for sure, but SFO is a big hub for trans-Pacific flights, so will add some choice and therefore competitive fire to that market.
    ... gobsmacked

Also connect us to Silicon Valley.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

It's not as simple as comparing metro populations though. What makes money for the airlines is when passengers are willing to pay for first-class or business-class fares, and also when they are willing to pay more for a seat because they are buying it at the last minute. All of those scenarios happen more frequently with business travel than leisure travel. Given the number of head offices and national offices located in Calgary, I think it's safe to say that the airlines generate a lot more profit margin from the average Calgarian flier than they do from the average Edmontonian. So the Calgary market gets catered to.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Interesting from Air Canada and in my view indication of a new strategy at EIA courtesy former YHZ CEO Tom Ruth.

Less aggressive route incentives for foreign carriers (evidenced by no Interjet MEX flight among others), with the aim of boosting yields on AC/WS and encouraging AC/WS to add routes slowly and surely.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the strategy Ruth used at Halifax considering Halifax's relatively significant AC network. We will see if this leads anywhere here at YEG.
    Last edited by AAAAE; 29-11-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Would be a positive if Tom Ruth can formulate some sort of relationship with WS and AC . It remains to be seen if this comes to pass and we get actual results.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    It's not as simple as comparing metro populations though. What makes money for the airlines is when passengers are willing to pay for first-class or business-class fares, and also when they are willing to pay more for a seat because they are buying it at the last minute. All of those scenarios happen more frequently with business travel than leisure travel. Given the number of head offices and national offices located in Calgary, I think it's safe to say that the airlines generate a lot more profit margin from the average Calgarian flier than they do from the average Edmontonian. So the Calgary market gets catered to.
    The facts of the latest Census show the difference in Calgary and Edmonton jobs by industry. And the professional and engineering jobs numbers of Calgary over Edmonton are not large enough to warrant the spread in business seats that you are suggesting. Edmonton has strengths as well. Calgary is strong because PWA were moved there and out of all the ashes we see WestJet emerge at YYC with its major HUB. Another airline could be established at YEG and grow and disrupt the market and build a significant major HUB at YEG. It’s about investment and perhaps some passion.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...our-and-travel

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    The facts of the latest Census show the difference in Calgary and Edmonton jobs by industry. And the professional and engineering jobs numbers of Calgary over Edmonton are not large enough to warrant the spread in business seats that you are suggesting. Edmonton has strengths as well. Calgary is strong because PWA were moved there and out of all the ashes we see WestJet emerge at YYC with its major HUB. Another airline could be established at YEG and grow and disrupt the market and build a significant major HUB at YEG. It’s about investment and perhaps some passion.

PWA moving was a tragedy that was inflicted on Edmonton by Peter Lougheed using government funds to move it while the Edmonton business community did nothing - much the same as many members of the business community complain all the time but still connect ex-YYC .....

PWA moving was a tragedy that was inflicted on Edmonton by Peter Lougheed using government funds to move it while the Edmonton business community did nothing - much the same as many members of the business community complain all the time but still connect ex-YYC .....
    I was told, back in the day, that when PWA management was asked- responded that a city with one versus two airports made fopr a better headquarters.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    I was told, back in the day, that when PWA management was asked- responded that a city with one versus two airports made fopr a better headquarters.
    This problem obviously goes a long ways back. I have a feeling Lougheed was looking to give something to Calgary at the time and would have probably moved it anyways. As I recall, after the EdTel debacle in the early 80's (that was Lougheed sticking it to this city also) voters here started to tire of the PC's and sent them a stern message.

I wish our business community could stand up for our city a bit more on this issue and send the airlines a strong message too. I realize the airlines can be a bit inflexible, but in the end customers do actually have some clout, perhaps more than they realize.

What message would you like them to send & how would they do it?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    What message would you like them to send & how would they do it?
    Good question. Maybe 10, 15 or 20 of Edmonton's largest airline customers call the Presidents of Air Canada and Westjet and say we need better service.

If no meeting, a nicely but firmly worded letter published in a newspaper or two (or three) might get the message across. It would need to be a united/coordinated effort, so probably something the city would need to be involved in. I don't know if this would actually happen (I think the big corporate types may be chickens), but after years of whining it might be time to step things up a bit.

The movers and shakers can beg and plead all they want, but the ultimate judge is the number of paying passengers.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Thank you Air Canada! Wow I never thought I would ever say that.
    Seriously though, we have to use these flights for the airlines to give us more. There are very few things that bother me more than Edmontonians who connect in Calgary.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post

And they built a maintenance hanger at YXD to ensure that it would remain open.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

That arrival time from SFO works out well for anyone connecting on Icelandair to KEF and beyond (18:25 departure) or KLM to AMS (17:35 departure).

I know, I know, its a hassle to recheck luggage and go through security again.

There are airlines chomping at the bit to have more presence in Canada but the Feds won't allow them. If we could get past that maybe Edmonton could be a hub for say Emirates or Cathay Pacific or any number of possibilities. Our location would be very good for Europe to Western USA. Asia to USA or Europe etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    There are airlines chomping at the bit to have more presence in Canada but the Feds won't allow them. If we could get past that maybe Edmonton could be a hub for say Emirates or Cathay Pacific or any number of possibilities. Our location would be very good for Europe to Western USA. Asia to USA or Europe etc etc.
    It has never made sense for someone from Edmonton to fly south, wait, perhaps transfer planes and then fly back over Edmonton to go to Europe.

It would make much more sense if the Europe flights originated south of Edmonton, stopped here and then continued on, but somehow that seems to much to ask - perhaps time is more precious for Calgarians than for us. More, likely the Canadian airlines have never really thought it through very well and don't realize it makes sense.

I wish I could say large corporations were infinitely wise, but that is obviously not the case as one of the airlines had a previous experience with bankruptcy. Sometimes it takes the customers clearly and strongly pointing out the absurdity of things and some persistence to get corporations to go beyond their "well we have always done it this way and it seems to work for us" mentality.

If we don't stand up for ourselves, guess what - no one else likely will.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...it is not just the Feds...bi-lateral agreements are also sticking points...

...it is not as simple as you think That is one of the goals of the Airshow...to show Edmonton as a market...but that is a small part of a lot larger picture...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Default NAFTA Airlines

WestJet CEO Gregg Saretsky has already signaled an interest in using the prospective Delta-WestJet JV as a door to cooperation with Aeromexico (and other Delta global partners, for that matter). Aeromexico is 36%-owned by Delta, which effectively added Mexico City, Monterrey and Guadalajara to its North American hub network of Atlanta, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New York JFK, Salt Lake City and Seattle when it launched the US-Mexico transborder JV. WestJet, with its roots as a point-to-point LCC, is just starting to develop a hub-and-spoke network fueled in part by feeder traffic from its WestJet Encore regional subsidiary.
    If the WestJet-Delta JV launches in 2019 as planned, Delta will at least add WestJet-base Calgary to its hub network. But Canada’s second-biggest airline, which will start taking delivery of Boeing 787-9s in 2019 and has its eyes on transpacific flights to China, surely will continue to build its presence across Canada, including in Vancouver and Toronto.
    http://m.atwonline.com/blog/nafta-airlines
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

United is looking to grow pretty rapidly over the next couple years. We will have to wait and see, but United was a much bigger player at YEG once upon a time. Maybe this is the thing that gets us some routes back (Chicago).

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ds-turbulence/

Quote Originally Posted by Base View Post
    United is looking to grow pretty rapidly over the next couple years. We will have to wait and see, but United was a much bigger player at YEG once upon a time. Maybe this is the thing that gets us some routes back (Chicago).

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ds-turbulence/

Just remember: United Breaks Guitars
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Another thought I had was with Alaska gaining more and more Embraer 175 aircraft, while decreasing their Q400 fleet over the next little while.

https://worldairlinenews.com/2017/12...rtage-lessens/

It would make sense that we would eventually see the Embraer 175 on the flights to and from Seattle. The seat count is the same on these two aircraft but the Q400 is a little more cramped, doesn't have the premium product, and is of course a bit slower. Maybe something to look forward to?

So Westjet will be announcing their summer 2018 schedule revisions on Monday. Any guess about changes for YEG?

Hopefully we see some frequency upgrades but I think any new route adjustments would be considered a surprise.

Going to try out the KLM flight to Amsterdam this year. Then a 24 hr layover and on to Johannesburg. Anybody flown with KLM able to tell me how it is?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Mla View Post
    Going to try out the KLM flight to Amsterdam this year. Then a 24 hr layover and on to Johannesburg. Anybody flown with KLM able to tell me how it is?
    we've done the klm direct to amsterdam a couple of times now and would fly with them again in a heartbeat...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Awesome service, I've flown business 3 times and economy once.

So Westjet will be announcing their summer 2018 schedule revisions on Monday. Any guess about changes for YEG?

Hopefully we see some frequency upgrades but I think any new route adjustments would be considered a surprise.

Hopefully more than once a week YEG to LGW direct.

Any word on when Icelandair will be resuming service?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Awesome service, I've flown business 3 times and economy once.
    Amsterdam is one of the most connected airports in the world. We are very fortunate to have so many one-stop connections through AMS to points beyond.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post

strange......for the last few rotations when I land with CMA ......there has been an Icelandair plane sitting just around back behind the fuel tanks ....land at 540pm.....I am not seeing things....lol

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post

strange......for the last few rotations when I land with CMA ......there has been an Icelandair plane sitting just around back behind the fuel tanks ....land at 540pm.....I am not seeing things....lol
    Icelandair service resumes in March.

Went with KLM last year to Amsterdam. They were on time and I made my connection flight. Service was just fine but then I'm not a particularly demanding passenger. I'm not tall either and I felt very cramped, leg wise and seat wise. That was the least room I had every had on a plane. I feel real sorry for tall people who have to endure cramped spaces like that. The plane seemed old and a bit shabby. It got all it's passengers there in one piece so that's the main thing. While waiting for my connecting flight in an older part of the airport there was just this gawd awful stench. A lady I set next to while waiting for my plane said she fly's from that area about once every 3 month and it's the first time she had been there when there was a smell. I was pretty overpowering, like a sewer. Would I fly with them again?. If I were to compare the KLM plane to the last long distance plane I flew (Air Canada) I would pick Air Canada hands down. Plane more modern, more room, just all round more comfortable.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

My wife's returning on March 21, via Icelandair. Dunno if that's the first day of service, but it was literally the first day where a 1-stop flight itinerary from Stockholm was available when we were booking her ticket at the beginning of the month.

Hopefully this is the last or second last round trip we need to buy for her.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I don't think this video has been posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNqg...ature=youtu.be

Was part of the 2017 summary here.

http://flyeia.com/news/edmonton-inte...and-16-million

Thumbs down

Well, Westjet seems to have added a number of flights .. to Calgary

These are all the flights they added in Calgary. I haven't seen anything else for Edmonton so far.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ns-of-recovery

Looks like they added Paris. Through Halifax. They have a seat sale on it already for under 700 return during peak summer travel.

WestJet enhances Edmonton summer schedule

Edmonton's largest airline continues to provide region with the most seats, flights and destinations
    CALGARY, Jan. 29, 2018 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced that it has again enhanced its schedule and connectivity out of Edmonton International Airport (EIA) to key business and leisure destinations in Canada and the U.S., adding 23 weekly flights.
    "WestJet continues to invest in Edmonton and Northern Alberta with increased service, connectivity and frequencies," said Brian Znotins, WestJet Vice-President, Network Planning, Alliances and Corporate Development. "As the largest airline flying out of EIA, we are providing schedules to key business destinations like Calgary and Fort McMurray while giving local leisure travellers the opportunity to visit destinations like Las Vegas on a schedule that fits their own."
    Details of WestJet's increased service from Edmonton:

• Edmonton-Calgary, from 77 to 86 times weekly (12 times each business day).
    • Edmonton-Vancouver, from 49 to 58 times weekly (nine times each business day).
    • Edmonton-Kelowna, from 48 to 49 times weekly (seven times daily).
    • Edmonton-Fort McMurray, from 24 to 25 times weekly.
    • Edmonton-Saskatoon, from 19 to 20 times weekly.
    • Edmonton-Las Vegas, from 10 to 11 times weekly.
    • Edmonton-Los Angeles from six to seven times weekly (once daily).

This summer, WestJet will operate an average of 62 daily flights from Edmonton International Airport. In the past 10 years, WestJet has increased capacity out of EIA by 52 per cent and now accounts for 73 per cent of the capacity out of the city, measured in available seat miles.
    "The increase in number of non-stop flights per week between Edmonton and these select markets is great news for EIA and our passengers," said Tom Ruth, President and CEO, Edmonton International Airport. "WestJet continues to show leadership in air service offerings in Edmonton, and we are proud to grow as partners together."
    http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1315

According to the Herald Swoop will start off with two B737-8s. Initially not a great threat to Fair airlines.

Informative video about the new strategy/direction of Flair Airlines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98DiTfAsMeU

Edmonton's largest airline continues to provide region with the most seats, flights and destinations
    CALGARY, Jan. 29, 2018 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced that it has again enhanced its schedule and connectivity out of Edmonton International Airport (EIA) to key business and leisure destinations in Canada and the U.S., adding 23 weekly flights.
    "WestJet continues to invest in Edmonton and Northern Alberta with increased service, connectivity and frequencies," said Brian Znotins, WestJet Vice-President, Network Planning, Alliances and Corporate Development. "As the largest airline flying out of EIA, we are providing schedules to key business destinations like Calgary and Fort McMurray while giving local leisure travellers the opportunity to visit destinations like Las Vegas on a schedule that fits their own."

• Edmonton-Vancouver, from 49 to 58 times weekly (nine times each business day).

This summer, WestJet will operate an average of 62 daily flights from Edmonton International Airport. In the past 10 years, WestJet has increased capacity out of EIA by 52 per cent and now accounts for 73 per cent of the capacity out of the city, measured in available seat miles.
    "The increase in number of non-stop flights per week between Edmonton and these select markets is great news for EIA and our passengers," said Tom Ruth, President and CEO, Edmonton International Airport. "WestJet continues to show leadership in air service offerings in Edmonton, and we are proud to grow as partners together."

Fingers crossed that once the WestJet 787s arrive Edmonton will get one for an international flight to somewhere.

Asia would be nice. My wife flies out to SGN through NRT in a few days to see the family. Of course it's all the rigamarole through YVR again. It's that or drive her to Calgary where YYC of course has direct non stop flights to NRT and PEK. With our populations being close, CMA 2016- Calgary 1,392,000 Edmonton 1,321,000, how did we end up being second fiddle, we are the Capital after all. Now that's a long story. I wonder if Westjet has noted how many customers on those flights to YVR continue on to Asia and beyond. It must be a large percentage. Direct non stop to Asia could cut down on a lot of flights to YVR and some to YYC. That would lower their numbers slightly though. It's gotta happen soon, ever notice how many Asians there are now? I'm not a fan of coming through YVR as I've had an occasional issue there, even been strip/cavity searched. Talking to a pilot afterward he said very many people were that day for some reason. Now that was a pain in the a s s. Turned me off to going so I'm just staying home, Sonny Boy and I. She can go by herself. I think she prefers that anyway, doesn't have to worry about dragging us guys around over there. They will be celebrating their new year. I'm sure hoping for a non stop flight out of here soon. I told her next time go through YYC and we'll just drive her down. If you can't lick em join em I guess.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 30-01-2018 at 04:31 AM.

Looks like Air Canada is launching twice daily flights to Kelowna (year round) and Victoria (seasonal) starting July 2, 2018. All flights look to be with the Q400.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2018...ting-July-2018

Route and frequency Flight Departs Arrives
    Edmonton-Kelowna – year-round AC8395 YEG-YLW Edmonton at 08:40 Kelowna at 08:59
    AC8403 YEG-YLW Edmonton at 16:05 Kelowna at 16:24
    Kelowna-Edmonton – year-round AC8394 YLW-YEG Kelowna at 09:30 Edmonton at 11:51
    AC8404 YLW-YEG Kelowna at 16:55 Edmonton at 19:16
    Edmonton-Victoria – seasonal AC8095 YEG-YYJ Edmonton at 08:40 Victoria at 09:40
    AC8053 YEG-YYJ Edmonton at 16:00 Victoria at 17:00
    Victoria-Edmonton – seasonal AC8086 YYJ-YEG Victoria at 10:10 Edmonton at 12:55
    AC8088 YYJ-YEG Victoria at 17:30 Edmonton at 20:15
    Last edited by DClan; 30-01-2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

First SFO, now these ....

Is AC playing footsie with us?
    ... gobsmacked

Weird. New destinations. AC-3, WS-0.

To me whether it's the Westjet frequency announcements or the AC new routes. Flair and the ULCC threat has a lot to do with this to the benefit of YEG. Not only will Flair be serving us well but it's forcing the other players to throw more non-stops our way.

Fingers crossed that once the WestJet 787s arrive Edmonton will get one for an international flight to somewhere.
    The modest increase in Fort McMurray flights is not that impressive - I think Calgary has now leap frogged ahead of Edmonton on this route, but the increase to Vancouver, Las Vegas and Los Angeles is good.

Asia would be nice. My wife flies out to SGN through NRT in a few days to see the family. Of course it's all the rigamarole through YVR again. It's that or drive her to Calgary where YYC of course has direct non stop flights to NRT and PEK. With our populations being close, CMA 2016- Calgary 1,392,000 Edmonton 1,321,000, how did we end up being second fiddle, we are the Capital after all. Now that's a long story. I wonder if Westjet has noted how many customers on those flights to YVR continue on to Asia and beyond. It must be a large percentage. Direct non stop to Asia could cut down on a lot of flights to YVR and some to YYC. That would lower their numbers slightly though. It's gotta happen soon, ever notice how many Asians there are now? I'm not a fan of coming through YVR as I've had an occasional issue there, even been strip/cavity searched. Talking to a pilot afterward he said very many people were that day for some reason. Now that was a pain in the a s s. Turned me off to going so I'm just staying home, Sonny Boy and I. She can go by herself. I think she prefers that anyway, doesn't have to worry about dragging us guys around over there. They will be celebrating their new year. I'm sure hoping for a non stop flight out of here soon. I told her next time go through YYC and we'll just drive her down. If you can't lick em join em I guess.
    I can't imagine very many Edmontonians on the flights to Calgary are just flying there as the final destination. With security and all that, it's probably faster just to drive to Calgary. I am sure they are chock full of people going there to get connecting flights. It's always disappointing to see flights added to Calgary, it shows the airlines don't respect Edmonton much. Instead of adding more direct flights here as the market grows, they are still trying to funnel more through Calgary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I can't imagine very many Edmontonians on the flights to Calgary are just flying there as the final destination. With security and all that, it's probably faster just to drive to Calgary. I am sure they are chock full of people going there to get connecting flights. It's always disappointing to see flights added to Calgary, it shows the airlines don't respect Edmonton much. Instead of adding more direct flights here as the market grows, they are still trying to funnel more through Calgary.
    With respect to the Calgary flights, they're doing what makes sense for them financially, nothing more nothing less. The moment they think it's more profitable to offer direct flights they will. Indeed, they already are as evidenced by recent announcements.

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    With respect to the Calgary flights, they're doing what makes sense for them financially, nothing more nothing less. The moment they think it's more profitable to offer direct flights they will. Indeed, they already are as evidenced by recent announcements.
    Oh yes, the almighty market - except the flaw with that argument is there is really very little competition. It is almost a monopoly.

That would be a duopoly.

Swoop is selling tickets now, starting in June.

YEG to hamilton and abbotsford.

Prices are similar to Flair. Flair might be a bit cheaper when on sale.

No mention of WJ on the website.

So that's probably the end of mainline westjet serving those routes.
    There can only be one.

Someone said something about Icelandair decreasing to four flights per week when they return and staying at that reduced level for the entire summer.

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post
    Someone said something about Icelandair decreasing to four flights per week when they return and staying at that reduced level for the entire summer.
    Not a bad outcome really - maintains the service while presumably improving profit for the airline. It's not really a reflection of the YEG market as much as it is a reflection of how rapidly Icelandair is expanding and the new route bump/subsidies they are seeing on many many routes. The YEG route is more mature and this level of service would seem to represent a continuing equilibrium without the new route incentives and novelty demand. Not to mention a bit of a bump in Europe yields for other airlines at YEG.

We got a new flight! We got...Air Canada Rouge YEG to LAS Daily for the winter season Oct 28/18 - Apr 30/19
    https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2018...ts-Next-Winter

I guess I'll put my champagne bottle back in the fridge.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

We got a new flight! We got...Air Canada Rouge YEG to LAS Daily for the winter season Oct 28/18 - Apr 30/19
    Any new flight is good news. Air Canada has been showing some love to Edmonton recently. All positive.
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Baby steps folks baby steps

If they want to give us love, how about year round for a metro over 1.4 million and stop chauffeuring us to Calgary.

Every flight they add is a chance for us to prove ourselves.

We been proving ourselves with this airline for how many decades now? The end result of it... a flight to Calgary. I gave up on them decades ago and wont come back to them. Why? A seasonal flight to Vegas. Dont we have that already? I dont want to share half a bone; i deserve a whole bone! Had this been a South America destination, my ears might have perked just a bit.

Oh ya you have those regular business trips to Columbia. lol. jk

Holidays but i still demand a full bone you know.

So far only Toronto signed up but wonder if Flair is talking to them about code sharing. YEG would be perfect. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/norw...ghts-1.4572198
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Very interesting and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Any new flight is good news. Air Canada has been showing some love to Edmonton recently. All positive.
    I'm sorry, but if this is seen as 'progress', we need a bigger mirror.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by booster View Post
    So far only Toronto signed up but wonder if Flair is talking to them about code sharing. YEG would be perfect. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/norw...ghts-1.4572198
    Argh! Dreamliners! https://www.norwegian.com/us/about/o.../our-aircraft/ Already flying out of SEA to LGW for $159.90 USD one way.

Hello Norwegian! Come to Edmonton with that Dreamliner.

They have 136 aircarft and 260 on order.

I'd just like to rant a bit about my recent experience shopping for convenient affordable flights from YEG.

So I'm planning a trip to South Africa this year and have been shopping airlines and connections. Obviously I've been looking for something affordable but also something practical (ie as few stops as possible). Here's the problem I've found, almost EVERY airline only offers 2 layovers and I hate layovers. The only one I've found with 1 layover is KLM. Which goes Edmonton to Amsterdam, then a 24 hr layover in Amsterdam, then Amsterdam to Johannesburg.

The issue is it's a little pricey. Luckily for me I have the means to afford this one but I can really see why some people fly through YYC. YYC has the same flight that YEG has but for something like $300 less. That said, I am purposefully avoiding anything to do with YYC and am more than willing to shell out a few extra hundred dollars to spend more time in Amsterdam and no time in Cowgary.

Most of the flights that I've looked at that have the 2 layovers have connections in YYC or other Canadian destinations. I've contemplated flying Edmonton to Seattle, Seattle to Atlanta, then Atlanta to Johannesburg. But I'm pretty sure I'm doing the KLM flight.

Anyways, sorry if this post is a waste of time. I just wanted to share my experience. It's a little frustrating that we keep getting shafted. It'd be nice if YEG could get a direct flight to New York or Atlanta so more options to far flung continents become available to us.

AMS is a good option.

Anything through MSP or ORD?
    www.decl.org

The only way to get a reasonable one-stop to JNB used to be via the direct to LHR, but without that you're sorta hooped, given how long the AMS layover is & our extremely scant direct international direct connections, along with the difficulty of accommodating your ideological crusade to avoid Calgary and/or Toronto.

I'd just like to rant a bit about my recent experience shopping for convenient affordable flights from YEG.
    I hear you. I face similar challenges when traveling to non European international destinations and I have two kids under 10.
    I've learnt it's better to do a 24 hour layover which allows the kids to rest in a hotel vs an 8 hour layover inside of an airport.

And yes, Calgary does have much better international connection times, options, and prices across the Atlantic and Pacific (the only exception is Scandinavian Europe where Icelandair gives YEG the edge).

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    AMS is a good option.

I believe MSP had one but it wasn't direct to Johannesburg either.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    The only way to get a reasonable one-stop to JNB used to be via the direct to LHR, but without that you're sorta hooped, given how long the AMS layover is & our extremely scant direct international direct connections, along with the difficulty of accommodating your ideological crusade to avoid Calgary and/or Toronto.
    Lol I guess it is an ideological crusade. I could connect in Toronto but why do that when I can connect in an airport outside of Canada?

Lol I guess it is an ideological crusade. I could connect in Toronto but why do that when I can connect in an airport outside of Canada?
    Because of your options being limited to either an in-Canada connection or the AMS 24 hour layover you griped about in the first place? It's not like you've got a plethora of direct international destinations that're conducive to flights onward to Africa, so you've either gotta suck it up & transfer in Canada or take the bullet & spend a day among the Dutch.

Hate to say this, but British Airways through YYC is also has a lot of connections to South Africa from Heathrow.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    AMS is a good option.

I believe MSP had one but it wasn't direct to Johannesburg either.
    It is not direct nor 1 stop, but on our one and only trip to South Africa, we flew KLM to Amsterdam, then to Cape Town. I wonder what the internal flight connections would be from Cape Town to JNB? Maybe that would save you some time.

Who do you think impedes Edmonton from that angle...?

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Who do you think impedes Edmonton from that angle...?
    What do you mean?

Who tries tiofunnel us down there for flights? At least WJ gives us something, so there is your hint.

I'm not overly upset about the 24 hr stay in Amsterdam. I'm just disappointed in the complete lack of options that YEG has compared to YYC. Similar metro pops and we really have a lack of options.

Similar metro pops and we really have a lack of options.
    It's almost as if the population isn't the only factor in building a business case & there might be a multitude of other factors at play.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...you mean like economic impact, historic routing, propensity to buy bigger ticket seats, proximity to international tourism, proximity to a more business friendly climate, logistics and distribution channels....

Nah...can't be...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

That just goes to show how deep the vast anti-Edmonton conspiracy goes! Layers upon layers of people, organizations and businesses all conspiring to deny us our owed, deserved air connections that we are entitled to just by our mere existence!

Didn't take layers of people, organizations and businesses. It just took one premier with a vision to create a national head office centre. A premier who felt that there could only be one such centre in Alberta and picked his home town.

No point in beating a dead horse....I think this year's transatlantic program from YEG is awful. 15 or 20 years ago, we had a better service with Air Canada to LHR, Air Transat to FRA, LGW and Berlin, Martin Air to Amsterdam, and the occasional flights on several UK based charters to LGW as well.

Despite the increase in population and income, Trans-Atlantic flights from YEG have taken a set back. I think the EIA management has been trying, but we lack in-bound tourism and we lack major local corporations flying their staff in front of the cabin. And thus, YYC gets LHR flights on both AC, and BA; FRA on both AC and DE; daily to AMS; and other charter flights. In the meantime, we can't even keep Icelandair to fly year round or daily during the summer.

At the end it's about $$$. I have finally come to accept that our international market is much thinner from a yield perspective than I thought.

I would say it is better than 15-20 years ago as Air Canada was the only scheduled service, the rest when they did run were charters and lacked connections (if any). Flying in from LHR via YVR last night was brutal and reminded me why we try to fly FI and KLM when available. YEG needs to continue to work with carriers to improve what we have. For people coming from Europe and those of us in Business that require flights to Europe from Edmonton it is taxing and really shows why it is hard to do business in Edmonton on a Global level at times. I will say that BA really really needs to up their game, the product they produce for a International carrier is poor compared to even Air Canada.

Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast