Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 36768283848586
Results 8,501 to 8,521 of 8521

Thread: Metro Line - North LRT | Churchill to NAIT | Under Construction

I'd rather C2E than work!

If they walk away from Thales and the contract can they then hire someone else to fix it?

Perhaps, but if they do expect years of lawsuits from various parties

C2E SME
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if the city had the balls to actually sue, and win. However, at the end of the day, I just want the fukkin thing to work.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    If they walk away from Thales and the contract can they then hire someone else to fix it?
    Not that I'm an expert or anything but I have a close friend in commercial Law with an active practice here in the city. My lawyer friend suspects that as long as there is a on going Lawsuit, chances of the city or a 3rd party, can't do anything with Metro. I'm wondering that if both parties drag this out in litigation, would the city even be able to still continue day-to-day operations of Metro? I asked and he didn't have an answer.
    Could such a scenario play out with Metro?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Continued Contributor

Curious to know how much getting the two lines running on the same system would cost. If we do walk away from the contract, would the retained money cover such a venture?

Also, have these announcement errors the past few days screwed any one up? They're announcing nait trains currently as approaching southgate for every stop. The signage and vocal announcements are glitchy as hell too. I only made it to class yesterday on a gamble of which train was which headed from Corona Station.

^ The CBTC system was approved by the then Transportation manager back in Feb/2010.

In July 2010, LRT Design and Construction staff expressed concerns about potential risks, including delays, due to splitting the CBTC contract. And imo that is the crux of the problem we face today.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...t-history.aspx

There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

The worst part of all that is the post only pays $105K/year.

Worst part is that they have to know how to use Gmail.
    It is an actual requirement on the job posting.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    The worst part of all that is the post only pays $105K/year.
    ya no doubt on that. They want an engineer for 105k max a year, who could likely work just about anywhere else for more, and on a project like our botched LRT signalling, the poop to pay ratio just doesn't seem adequate

Likely this is the guy or gal that will figure it all out once Thales is fired and wobbled off the job. I think my autistic boy may know how to fix it. He's a genius at that kind of stuff. Lol. My suggestion is to match the old system of the capital line which has only had two events over all these years. Practically flawless. They will then work well and work well together. Newest technology isn't always the best technology. We have the proof of that. Keep things simple and running.

On the plus side, I saw more community spirit on the train the past couple days. Everybody talking amongst one another laughing at the gross incompetence of the city.

And albeit I was rolling my eyes and snickering too this stuff is unacceptable. We pay a tonne of taxes in this city and that number keeps going higher for services that are supposed to be functional after billions are spent. If you wanna be a big city with big ambitions you have to be willing to build things right the first time and resist the urge of value engineering. Now this is the current admin's mess, is gonna cost the tax payers possibly hundreds of millions of dollars (between this and the intersection adjustments), and those people got canned for their monumental ignorance.

I wouldn't be so upset if they hadn't rolled their eyes at me as a 1st year student voicing my objections about some of these things years ago. But they know better then the commoner!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Likely this is the guy or gal that will figure it all out once Thales is fired and wobbled off the job. I think my autistic boy may know how to fix it. He's a genius at that kind of stuff. Lol. My suggestion is to match the old system of the capital line which has only had two events over all these years. Practically flawless. They will then work well and work well together. Newest technology isn't always the best technology. We have the proof of that. Keep things simple and running.
    I could be wrong, but I think part of the problem was the old signalling system worked well on a single line, but didn't mesh well with converging lines.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Except that signalling upgrades to the Capital Line were done while the Metro Line was still under construction to supposedly accommodate interlining and make the old and new signalling technologies compatible.

According to the Journal story earlier this week, Thales latest excuse is that the technology they installed was designed for subways and skyways not for street level trains. Setting aside that the interlined portion is fully grade separated in the Downtown to University tunnel, why would they be allowed to install the wrong technology?

There are many other street level systems that are extensively interlined. For example, Calgary where there two lines interline down 7th Avenue at 2 to 2.5 minute intervals. Or, Portland where three lines share the same set of tracks and signals east of their Downtown.

Nor does this explain why the signalling problems affecting trains seem to be happening only on the Metro Line. For example, barriers not coming down in sync with approaching trains, or trains being sent down the wrong track.

There ya go Thales Get going on tearing out the signalling equipment and installing the appropriate one for street level transit systems. Problem solved. $$$

^ Its a little more complicated then that I'm afraid.

I don't think Thales is entirely at fault here. It goes back before 2010 but does anyone know who the other bidders for the singling contract were?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley
    Nor does this explain why the signalling problems affecting trains seem to be happening only on the Metro Line. For example, barriers not coming down in sync with approaching trains, or trains being sent down the wrong track.

I'm not sure that remains the case. A friend of mine was stuck on one of the avenues (either 51 or 54) on 111 street last week, with a green traffic light but the LRT barriers down. He took a picture, so there's evidence!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley

I'm not sure that remains the case. A friend of mine was stuck on one of the avenues (either 51 or 54) on 111 street last week, with a green traffic light but the LRT barriers down. He took a picture, so there's evidence!
    even rob ford could understand the concept of not running trains at grade... as you wait for those stupid barriers to raise think of your federal income dollars building the Eglinton line properly

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Also, have these announcement errors the past few days screwed any one up?
    The glitchy announcements has screwed me up, screwed my wife up and have screwed my kids up a few times in just the last year.The only thing worse than the LRT signalling is the frequent errors that the communication system makes (incorrect signage for destinations, incorrect station announcements, etc.). People rely on the LRT to get to work and to post-secondary classes. The fact that the city just lets it operate like this is an absolute disgrace.

Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 36768283848586