Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Beautiful shot. Wow.
    Ditto.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Another wowzers.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Many thanks for the wows and wowzers.

That was yesterday. Less laurel resting. More photos. ... SVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    Wow! Look at all the activity!!!

Default Waterdale at Night

www.decl.org

Cool textures Ian. I can see a scull image in each one. I'm guessing it's Scotia Place (or Commerce Place, the one that changed from gold to blueish)?

Energy Square.
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

Accidental first shot of an enormous moon.

There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Stinning - thanks!
    ... gobsmacked

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

I know it's their building but there is something wrong with an old looking TELUS sign in what should be a museum of genuine signs. Even AGT or Edmonton Telephones would be better. At least they put it around the corner.

First One is Always Free

I know it's their building but there is something wrong with an old looking TELUS sign in what should be a museum of genuine signs. Even AGT or Edmonton Telephones would be better. At least they put it around the corner.
    Nonsense - anything that brings the glory of neon back into common usage is to celebrated!

The City by Glen Bowe, on Flickr
    Interesting. I like it.

Are there many older photos taken from this direction? It would be interesting to go back in time from this angle of view.

For another thread but I’d be happy with some reproductions. Better than nothing at all.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

@ 1118

Yeah, that's a really interesting angle. Actually kind of confusing, because it makes it look as if the CN Tower is on the polar opposite end of downtown from the Telus building. Which it is, in a way, but it doesn't feel like that when you're actually walking between the two places.

Quote Originally Posted by OLM View Post
    Nonsense - anything that brings the glory of neon back into common usage is to celebrated!
    It's called The Neon Sign Museum. Tossing in a bunch of new signs defeats the reason for gather all the old ones in one place.

A grand boulevard?

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

There were no trees along this road 25 years ago.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Default Funicular

Yesterday was the grand opening of the new funicular and everything seemed to work really well. I tried it out later in the day. It may be one of the shortest funiculars in the world but it will get a lot of use. As one person said on the news last night, "the stairs were not really an option for a noon walk in the summer as you end up returning to the office all sweaty". So now we will have fewer sweaty office workers. Every little bit helps. I like it.

Funicular - 2 of 3 by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

Funicular - 3 of 3 by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

Funicular - 1 of 3 by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

Those seemingly-randomly-placed concrete blocks - what do they do? Seating?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Those seemingly-randomly-placed concrete blocks - what do they do? Seating?
    They could be designed for kids and highly athletic people to use,
    they could be for lunch seating, or
    they may be there just to break up the look of the stairs.

I found them a little disorienting. When I walked down the stairs my eye would see the block and tell my foot there is a step there when there wasn't. Maybe I was just too focused on looking for the next image to capture but the next time I walk down I will check for the effect. I only walked half way up to get a different angle. Now that there is a funicular why else would I be walking up?

Seating. We sat and they are at the perfect height for a variety of folks.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Default A Bench and a View in one Evening

Bench - 16:51 by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

Bench - 17:30 by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

Bench - 17.59 by Glen Bowe, on Flickr
    You can even see the funicular lit up on this last one. All images captured on 2017-12-13 at more or less the same spot (one lens change).

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    city of edmonton example of a new widened pedestrian friendly sidewalk?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

www.decl.org

Default Gibson Block and Hyatt Place

Gibson Block completed in 1913 and Hyatt Place completed in 2017

Hyatt Place 2 by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

Hyatt Place 1 by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

I have yet to photograph the new Hyatt Place without some orange construction signs in the image.

^ permanent feature.

DSC07225

Gibson Block completed in 1913 and Hyatt Place completed in 2017

Hyatt Place 2 by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

Hyatt Place 1 by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

I have yet to photograph the new Hyatt Place without some orange construction signs in the image.
    What's with all the yellow reflective posts? Are those permanent?

Right turn in guidance...
    www.decl.org

Right turn in guidance...
    What?
    More useless clutter you say!

Isn't the right turn a temporary solution over what was supposed to be pedestrian space? The clutter isn't ideal, but there's it's not a normal corner of a normal road so even the permanent solution will have to be a little different than the typical.

But yeah, silver or black bollards do the job without the visual issues.
    There can only be one.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^ ^^ ^^^

that whole intersection is just silly.

96th street should be a full intersection with jasper avenue and 96th street should be two way at least from jasper to 102 avenue. it should actually be two way all the way from jasper to 103a avenue and the bike lane should be moved east through kinistinaw park to facilitate that because the most expensive street we've ever built doesn't have enough pavement to allow for it otherwise (unless they widen it to what it should have been).

101a avenue should dead end at the lane instead of being the "through" street at that corner (noting that it's a left turn only route) as it's already a dead end at 97th street since they allowed canada place to screw up that end of downtown and its links to jasper east village (now the quarters).

as it stands, taking someone on a tour of the quarters is pretty much like to trying to drive through a street version of pacman - there is almost no way to get from "here" to "there" in a straight line regardless of the direction you're trying to travel in.

^ when i drive through the Quarters, I ALWAYS end up cutting through the surface lots because you never know what changes they make on the roads and when/where construction is occurring.

I still don't understand why those two corners of all the corners in the city needs a bunch of yellow tooth picks for you to know there is a curb there. I'll have to go have a look in person I guess.

Default Lighting up the Bridge

The lights were turned on for the Walterdale Bridge on Wednesday. They also opened the east walkway. It's looking better all the time.

A Bridge in Solstice by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

The City at Winter Solstice by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

Love your pics as always but if there's just one critique I can share? If you posted your them in the appropriate topics instead of using this as your personal photo thread.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Love your pics as always but if there's just one critique I can share? If you posted your them in the appropriate topics instead of using this as your personal photo thread.
    maybe because lots of readers are only interested in pictures regardless of subject matter and don’t browse all of the other threads? regardless, how does one complain about pictures being posted to a picture thread???

Great pics Voice.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    maybe because lots of readers are only interested in pictures regardless of subject matter and don’t browse all of the other threads? regardless, how does one complain about pictures being posted to a picture thread???
    Probably because I hate having to wade through debates and discussions about the Walterdale Bridge, funicular, Quarters, etc in multiple threads. But you all do whatever, I'm close to zero effs with this forum.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Probably because I hate having to wade through debates and discussions about the Walterdale Bridge, funicular, Quarters, etc in multiple threads. But you all do whatever, I'm close to zero effs with this forum.
    ??????

I think it's fine that Voice posts his photos here. That's what this forum is for, for heaven's sake. It would be different if he was trying to smuggle in debate about the things he photos, but I don't see that that is what he'd doing.

And I too am confused about SDM's last post. If he hates having to wade through discussion about other topics, then this is the perfect thread for him to look at. So I'm not sure why he was earlier suggesting that the pics be posted to discussion threads.

You can leave any time thread police

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    I think it's fine that Voice posts his photos here. That's what this forum is for, for heaven's sake. It would be different if he was trying to smuggle in debate about the things he photos, but I don't see that that is what he'd doing.

And I too am confused about SDM's last post. If he hates having to wade through discussion about other topics, then this is the perfect thread for him to look at. So I'm not sure why he was earlier suggesting that the pics be posted to discussion threads.
    It's obvious he's the thread police and he wants things where he says

All I was requesting is that, say, Walterdale Bridge pics, news, discussion and debate to stay in its own dedicated thread. Likewise with Quarters, Jasper Ave redevelopment, etc. But I'll just stop. Carry on then.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 23-12-2017 at 12:02 PM.

SDM, Voice and other photographers can post their photos in any appropriate thread they choose, this thread Voice chose is appropriate. If you think the photo should be posted elsewhere, do it yourself. Better yet, go out and take your own photos and post them where you want on the forum. Stop being an a s s by telling others what to do.

Since the derail is my fault, I'll bring it back on track then.

From twitter user @britl https://twitter.com/britl/status/941007632327892992

That is a very nice picture SDM!

Excellent image of the beginning of the walkway. I've been meaning to go there someday myself. Merry Christmas Sonic Death Monkey.

The lights were turned on for the Walterdale Bridge on Wednesday. They also opened the east walkway. It's looking better all the time.

A Bridge in Solstice by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

The City at Winter Solstice by Glen Bowe, on Flickr
    Amazing shots of the bridge and I absolutely love how much more colourful and lively our Downtown is looking.
    www.decl.org

All I was requesting is that, say, Walterdale Bridge pics, news, discussion and debate to stay in its own dedicated thread. Likewise with Quarters, Jasper Ave redevelopment, etc. But I'll just stop. Carry on then.
    Didn't realize that this was the "The one shot (of Edmonton) by you of something that's not covered in another thread" thread, thanks Forum Gestapo!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Didn't realize that this was the "The one shot (of Edmonton) by you of something that's not covered in another thread" thread, thanks Forum Gestapo!
    come on noodle - the man already apologized. after all, it is the season and all that isn’t it? Thanks

come on noodle - the man already apologized. after all, it is the season and all that isn’t it? Thanks
    I give SDM the respect & courtesy he deserves all year round!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Amazing shots of the bridge and I absolutely love how much more colourful and lively our Downtown is looking.
    The bridge was a great design choice, nice shots, the second picture of Edmonton is a beauty

It's a cold one:

DSC07252

Great photography all round.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Default First in 2018

Awesome.

Crisp and beautiful. When do I get lessons
    www.decl.org

Crisp and beautiful. When do I get lessons
    Ian who's teaching who here? I want to learn how you do the cold winter scene like yours just above. I really like the look of the steam and smoke rising. I know the first step is being out there when it's bitterly cold but timing and post processing must be a factor.
    The one unique thing on my image that distinguishes it from my earlier ones is a new (used but new to me) high end lens. I used a 50-135 constant f/2.8 lens. When I zoom in with Lightroom I can actually see some detail in the offices in the TELUS building.

I wish that I had those skills, that was someone else from twitter/insta. Just bought a new D5300 and want to dive into it more than my old D40.
    www.decl.org

Youtube university has hundreds of courses on any topic you can imagine.

The human touch my friend.
    www.decl.org

Humans get mad when you don't understand, youtube patiently repeats what it says.

^In photographer terms would that picture be a classed as wide lens or panoramic or non of those terms?.

Panorama done on my iphone.

It's amazing what can be done on a phone these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I love how you got from past Pearl in the west all the way to the Edgewater in the east. Great Photo!

Indeed. Fill in a few gaps east of 97st-82st and we have a very significant top of bank skyline going from 82-124st.
    www.decl.org

Default 2018-01-13

MacEwan-7 by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Man, that is a very cool run of shots from #1180 to #1182. Thanks Voice and Ian.

Love the geometry in 1182. And I'm really curious as to where 1181 was taken.

Thanks.

1181 was from my condo looking South and slightly west.
    www.decl.org

Cool photos, folks. Thanks.

Ian, try letting in less light when you photograph the chrome LRT stations... or even, wait for a train to pull in, and you get some really great lighting effects.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

^just starting to play around the f and shutter stuff.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Twas a beautiful walk to work today, almost magical. Still don't get people who look miserable, but have no gloves or hat.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Pretty much sums it all up today. JW and Stantec in the distance.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Last edited by IanO; 27-01-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    www.decl.org

Default Victoria Park

by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

Question, does anyone know where or if there is somewhere that sells photos of Edmonton, (landscapes, streets) blown up on say canvas, or framed etc?

I'm looking for a piece above my couch I think it would be neat to have an Edmonton photo.

Glen Bowe, any of his photos? They are amazing, or any local photographers selling prints. (not sure if my terminology is correct) Id want one say 40" x 26" or something for example.

It says where is it at the very top of the pic as a title
    Victoria Park

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    Victoria Park
    Indeed it does. But was anyone asking about the location where the photo was taken?

Victoria Park
    Indeed it does. But was anyone asking about the location where the photo was taken?
    do you happen to have hungryman4000 blocked?

Quote Originally Posted by hungryman4000 View Post
    Question, does anyone know where or if there is somewhere that sells photos of Edmonton, (landscapes, streets) blown up on say canvas, or framed etc?

I'm looking for a piece above my couch I think it would be neat to have an Edmonton photo.

Glen Bowe, any of his photos? They are amazing, or any local photographers selling prints. (not sure if my terminology is correct) Id want one say 40" x 26" or something for example.

https://fineartamerica.com/art/digit...dmonton?page=2

Or you can go on line too and just enter 'Edmonton painting artist' or something on those line. You may get a web site of painting/photo's you like.

Victoria Park
    do you happen to have hungryman4000 blocked?
    Re-read that post fella.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast