Page 105 of 107 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107 LastLast
Results 10,401 to 10,500 of 10627

Thread: Downtown Retail | Discussion

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    I see a lot of empty spaces at Commerce Place right now. Has there been some movement by the owners of the building to try and get more occupancy? Looks pretty sad.
    I hear crickets.
    There's empty spaces in Manulife as well.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Industrial areas are often coveted by municipalities to serve as way to offset the 'real cost' of urban sprawl.
    ??? i have no idea what you mean by this IanO or how you or any municipality thinks that would happen or how there would be a direct correlation between two such disparate things.
    Last edited by kcantor; 11-07-2018 at 08:51 AM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I wonder if part of the challenge in filling these retail spaces in Commerce/Manulife is the impending glut of CRUs which will be opening in the ICE District.

Commerce also tries hard to rent out its CRUs to tony clientele to varying degrees of success and failure (luxury swimwear, luxury olive oil, chocolaterie, Sam Abouhassan, etc, etc), but the office tower itself is occupied primarily by more modestly-heeled government workers. Perhaps luxury retail would rather cluster itself around the new Stantec/J.W. Marriott?
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Industrial areas are often coveted by municipalities to serve as way to offset the 'real cost' of urban sprawl.
    ??? i have no idea what you mean by this IanO or how you or any municipality thinks that would happen or how there would be a direct correlation between two such disparate things.

Seems that Vancouver has been sacrificing their industrial land:

Metro Vancouver running out of industrial land

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...land-1.4117401

Downtown Edmonton had rail land and lumberyards etc. Today it’s downtown retail sprawl.
    Last edited by KC; 11-07-2018 at 08:57 AM.

I see a lot of empty spaces at Commerce Place right now. Has there been some movement by the owners of the building to try and get more occupancy? Looks pretty sad.
    I think Commerce Place will always struggle to fill those empty spaces because the second tower never went ahead and never will. Which means their podium is too big.

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    I've been told Scotia Bank is closing both its Jasper Avenue locations - 107 street and 115 street.
    I had to look those up cause I didn't even remember seeing any Scotiabanks on Jasper. Those buildings are not exactly noticeable.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Oh my lord. Reading this thread you wouldn’t know if it was 2018 or 2008. Same old bull$hit, different decade lol
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    I wonder if part of the challenge in filling these retail spaces in Commerce/Manulife is the impending glut of CRUs which will be opening in the ICE District.

Commerce also tries hard to rent out its CRUs to tony clientele to varying degrees of success and failure (luxury swimwear, luxury olive oil, chocolaterie, Sam Abouhassan, etc, etc), but the office tower itself is occupied primarily by more modestly-heeled government workers. Perhaps luxury retail would rather cluster itself around the new Stantec/J.W. Marriott?
    It doesn't help matters when the escalators are down 1/2 the time.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Job No 284926015-002
    Description: To Construct a Temporary Publicly Accessible Private Park which is Accessory to a Professional, Financial and Office Support Service Building (Alberta Blue Cross) for Ten (10) Years.
    Plan NB Blk 7 Lot 54
    10006 - 107 STREET NW
    Plan NB Blk 7 Lot 55
    Applicant: ABC BENEFITS CORPORATION
    Create Date: 7/10/2018 8:44:30 AM

hmmmm
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

Thanks Alberta Blue Cross for putting a successful business out on the street, and leaving the building vacant for 10 years. This temporary park will totally make up for it!

Last time I saw the For Lease sign had a 403 number on it - that's not a good sign, so I'm not surprised. It might help if they had someone local to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Thanks Alberta Blue Cross for putting a successful business out on the street, and leaving the building vacant for 10 years. This temporary park will totally make up for it!
    I understand they bought it for future expansion, but they seem to prefer to pack their employees into their current space like sardines. I don't think the employee are very happy about this, but I am not sure senior management cares.

Of course I believe there also happens to be a totally empty office building immediately north of them now, so perhaps they might pursue that in the meantime.

Is this maybe the redevelopment of the Il Portico building into a temporary park?
    www.decl.org

I think you are off the 'marc' here (pun intended) regarding putting a business out on the street. My understanding from the owners is they sold the building and then moved to a new space with a different restaurant concept - the very successful The Marc restaurant on 106 Street/99 Avenue.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I understand they bought it for future expansion, but they seem to prefer to pack their employees into their current space like sardines. I don't think the employee are very happy about this, but I am not sure senior management cares.

Of course I believe there also happens to be a totally empty office building immediately north of them now, so perhaps they might pursue that in the meantime.
    i believe that "empty office building immediately north of them" sold some time ago and is planned to be a residential conversion... it's a good candidate for that.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

i believe that "empty office building immediately north of them" sold some time ago and is planned to be a residential conversion... it's a good candidate for that.
    Yes I had heard it was planned to be a residential conversion. I suppose it has a fairly good location, but it is rather square and has no balconies so I don't think most residential tenants would find it that desirable. It sure wouldn't be my first choice if I was looking for a place to rent in the area and I don't think the rental market is so booming right now that it will fill quickly. I would imagine they would have to spend a fair bit of money and time to convert it, so I am thinking it might be easier and cheaper to find a good potential commercial tenant nearby, say whose existing space was already packed to the gills to fill at least some of the space.

Job No 287278928-001
    Description: To develop a Cannabis Retail Store
    Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lot 159
    Applicant: MCCOLL (ARMSTRONG BLOCK CANNABIS CORP.), HUNTER D.
    Create Date: 7/11/2018 11:42:04 AM

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Job No 284926015-002
    Description: To Construct a Temporary Publicly Accessible Private Park which is Accessory to a Professional, Financial and Office Support Service Building (Alberta Blue Cross) for Ten (10) Years.
    Plan NB Blk 7 Lot 54
    10006 - 107 STREET NW
    Plan NB Blk 7 Lot 55
    Applicant: ABC BENEFITS CORPORATION
    Create Date: 7/10/2018 8:44:30 AM
    Is this just the parking lot or also that restaurant building?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    I think you are off the 'marc' here (pun intended) regarding putting a business out on the street. My understanding from the owners is they sold the building and then moved to a new space with a different restaurant concept - the very successful The Marc restaurant on 106 Street/99 Avenue.
    My recollection is that ABC bought the building/land with the intention of knocking it down for parking for their staff. So they terminated Il Portico's lease and then found out the city wouldn't actually let them knock the building down for more parking. Yes, the Marc came together a year or two later, but that was out of necessity when they got the boot from their previous location.

It was boneheaded decision making on the part of ABC, and at a time when there wasn't a heck of a lot of good dining options in the area.

Job No 287278928-001
    Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lot 159
    Lol, I guess they can try.
    www.decl.org

Is your post an attempt to indirectly show that you dont believe they will succeed on their request, or that you are not favorable to the request?

^Yeah, what's the problem? Seems an obvious location for a head shop. No schools nearby, no playgrounds. Wasn't DECL arguing on behalf of a dispensation to alter the proximity of liquor stores to one another based on some "unique" downtown requirement? Pretty sure there's a healthy contingent of pot smokers living in downtown condo's.

What about Central High?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Job No 287278928-001
    Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lot 159
    Lol, I guess they can try.
    what's funny about this is that Armstrong Block is a "Dry" Housing Project...so no Alcohol cannot be consumed on the property but Cannabis???...why not!!! haha

Lol you guys are high-larious. 1) They missed the lottery, 2) they won't meet any separation distances.
    www.decl.org

Lol you guys are high-larious. 1) They missed the lottery, 2) they won't meet any separation distances.
    Exactly, because there are two parks within proximity - Michael Phair and Beaverhills. Oh some of the drama on this forum, now that's 'high'-larious.

Teddy's is currently undergoing renovations.
    Gas Pump is still undergoing renovations - based on peeks thru windows, probably won't be done until autumn.

Job No 287376737-001
    Description: To change the use from "Common Space" to a Cannabis Retail Store
    Plan NB Blk 4 Lots 61-62
    10405 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 4 Lots 63-64
    10405 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 4 Lots 64-66
    Applicant: 10663824 CANADA INC
    Create Date: 7/12/2018 9:39:44 AM

Anything other than Cannabis stores being built in the city?

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I'm willing to bet we will be seeing more restaurants popping up after the Cannabis stores open.
    Edmonton is a very exciting place to be right now.

^zing.

^^This is the rush and then things will subside.
    www.decl.org

Job No 112702204-037
    Description: To change the Use from Restaurants to Convenience Retail Stores and to construct interior alterations.
    Plan 1622175 Unit 1
    10238C - 103 STREET NW
    Condo Common Area (Plan 1622175)
    Applicant: CTM DESIGN SERVICES LTD
    Create Date: 7/13/2018 11:46:21 AM
    www.decl.org

I believe this is moving from The Coast Hotel to across the street:

Reference ID: Job No 287159457-001
    Description: To change the use from Professional, Financial Office Support Services Use to Personal Service Shop (AHAVA SALON)
    Plan B2 Blk 5 Lots 191-192
    Applicant: AHAVA SALON, VERONICA GREEN-HASHMI
    Create Date: 7/10/2018 12:55:03 PM
    Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
    www.decl.org

Not a new build, but Fire and Flower has vinyl signage on the windows on a storefront on the north side of Jasper avenue, just east of 116 st. Have the licenses been allotted yet, or are they jumping the gun? The store is about 385 metres away from Oliver School as the crow flies, so it is farther away then the 200 metre limit from a school

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Not a new build, but Fire and Flower has vinyl signage on the windows on a storefront on the north side of Jasper avenue, just east of 116 st. Have the licenses been allotted yet, or are they jumping the gun? The store is about 385 metres away from Oliver School as the crow flies, so it is farther away then the 200 metre limit from a school
    Many cannabis retailers are securing their space and are 'hoping' to be selected by the City to open up shop.

Finally seeing some positive evidence that two restaurants being built in the MNP tower. Workers placed coverings on the windows in the northwest corner of the tower announcing the coming of a new pasta place.

Quote Originally Posted by edmguy111 View Post
    Finally seeing some positive evidence that two restaurants being built in the MNP tower. Workers placed coverings on the windows in the northwest corner of the tower announcing the coming of a new pasta place.
    Amoré Pasta. I’m pretty excited!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't often bus it through 107th to get to 124th street, but just passed the graveyard on the #3 yesterday I noticed the old Discount Jim's location gated off with a blue gate surrounding the premises. How long has this been gated off?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Do you mean the Brick clearance centre? They're planning a new retail strip mall development there. The renders looked pretty interesting, like they're trying to mimic an old European street or something. I know some people hate that "faux historic" stuff but I thought it looked pretty cool.

That's way outta downtown, you know! Might as well be discussing WEM or SEC in this thread!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its always been known as "Discount Jim's" to me, but yes that's the location. Sounds interesting, are there any renders available? Thanks.

The downtown boundaries have always been confusing to me and I've lived here since 1978. To me, downtown exists West up to the General hospital, and East up to 97th street along Jasper Ave proper. There's lots of posts on this thread (including mine) that carry dt to 107th etc. Downtown and the downtown core of course are 2 different things.

I only saw the renders on CTV news, but they don't have the video on their website and I don't remember the name of the development.

Manchester Square.
    Renderings and criticisms found in the Edmonton Construction Projects, Proposals and Rumours 2
    thread, pinned at the top of this very forum.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Its always been known as "Discount Jim's" to me, but yes that's the location. Sounds interesting, are there any renders available? Thanks.

The downtown boundaries have always been confusing to me and I've lived here since 1978. To me, downtown exists West up to the General hospital, and East up to 97th street along Jasper Ave proper. There's lots of posts on this thread (including mine) that carry dt to 107th etc. Downtown and the downtown core of course are 2 different things.
    Depends on who you ask:

DBA - 95st-109/111st from 97ave-105ave
    DECL/EFCL - 97st - 109st from 97ave-105ave
    General public/news media - 97ave to 111ave from 82st-124st
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Manchester Square.
    Renderings and criticisms found in the Edmonton Construction Projects, Proposals and Rumours 2
    thread, pinned at the top of this very forum.
    Thanks! No actual thread for this yet?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Depends on who you ask:

DBA - 95st-109/111st from 97ave-105ave
    DECL/EFCL - 97st - 109st from 97ave-105ave
    General public/news media - 97ave to 111ave from 82st-124st
    Good to know. I need a map, lol

July 17, 2018
    170, 10235 - 101 STREET NW
    Plan 8822518 Lot 79C

To construct interior alterations for a restaurant. Change of Use from Personal Service Shop to Restaurant (Delicious Pho).

Drunken Ox Sober Cat opens tomorrow

You mean DOSC.

AGLC did not permit the use of 'Drunken' in the name.
    www.decl.org

Review of the DOSC (xrunken Ox Sober Cat) on 104st/102Ave.

https://fafifotography.com/2018/07/2...sc-restaurant/
    www.decl.org

Posters for Amore Pasta are up on the MNP tower podium windows.
    On the other side? They really should do something about the closed sidewalks due to the HSBC tower renos.

Ya, it's good to see more restaurants opening up in that area. Interestingly I learned today that the owner of Amore Pasta is the brother of the owner of Joey across the street. And they have a third brother who apparently owns the Earls chain, and altogether they own 65% of Cactus Club. That's a very competitive family. Maybe we'll see an Earls in the area soon too.

Sounds like you just heard about the Fuller family. Bus Fuller (Leroy Earl Fuller) had restaurants around town, and throughout Alberta and BC in the 60s, 70s and 80s called Fullers which later changed to Earls when son Stan came onboard. They owned a bunch of A&Ws back then too. The Fullers on Whyte is now the Humptys beside Mill Creek ravine. I used to hang out at this Fullers location as I lived nearby back then. The one on Jasper became Earls. Jeff Fuller and Stewart Fuller, two other sons of Leroy, are involved in Joey and Cactus Club Cafe chains and a few other restaurants.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 23-07-2018 at 06:34 AM.

Ya, I'm sure it's not news for a lot of people but it was news for me.

Ya, I'm sure it's not news for a lot of people but it was news for me.
    Whats news to me is you think its the Fullers who own Amore. Its the Crudo family.

Exactly.
    www.decl.org

Ya, it's good to see more restaurants opening up in that area. Interestingly I learned today that the owner of Amore Pasta is the brother of the owner of Joey across the street. And they have a third brother who apparently owns the Earls chain, and altogether they own 65% of Cactus Club. That's a very competitive family. Maybe we'll see an Earls in the area soon too.
    not true at all.....somebody fed you a lot of BS.

Well, clearly I have no clue. I don't know these people. I'm just passing on what I heard. In any case, good to see more restaurants opening up in that area.

http://www.buokfresh.ca

Opens on 100ave/107st this week it (or very soon) seems. Heading to the opening Wed.
    www.decl.org

http://www.buokfresh.ca

Opens on 100ave/107st this week it (or very soon) seems. Heading to the opening Wed.
    I was lucky enough to attend Buok's soft opening on Saturday. Food was fantastic! I think the concept will work great, fast and fresh traditional Bibimbap bowls with lots of options. Sandwiches and Korean Taco's in the evenings with a more drinking and snacks focused atmosphere. The Soju pork was addicting.

I wish them all the best and know I'll be back!

Well, clearly I have no clue. I don't know these people. I'm just passing on what I heard. In any case, good to see more restaurants opening up in that area.
    https://www.hicksbiz.com/Home/tabid/...6/Default.aspx

This will help.

^^That sounds awesome, looking forward to trying it.
    www.decl.org

You mean DOSC.

AGLC did not permit the use of 'Drunken' in the name.
    OK then...

Anyway
    New cafe, steakhouse and tasting bar opens on 104 St. as DOSC debuts

First One is Always Free

Stopped by last night.

-a most beautiful renovation
    -expanded kitchen
    -much more open, interactive
    -food looked/smelled good, but I was only there for a beer
    -great local beer selection
    -Feels like the Downtown Holy Roller

Quote Originally Posted by coldrsx View Post
    Stopped by last night.

-expanded kitchena

Coldrsx/IanO? Multiple accounts? wtf

Just a carry over from SSP Matt. You should ease up, take a Midol.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilers99 View Post
    https://www.hicksbiz.com/Home/tabid/...6/Default.aspx

This will help.
    My story was similar but not as elaborate

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Stopped by last night.

-expanded kitchena
    This is kinda funny, mostly because it's an account that's been dormant for 12 years and suddenly he's logged in. Like the username and password were saved on a computer he hasn't used since then. Based on the number of posts on it he probably abandoned it and decided not to be anonymous just a few hours into C2E's existence.

Though I guess as the guy who couldn't get my old password and had to create a new account when the software changeover happened I have no right to talk.
    There can only be one.

Stopped by last night.

-expanded kitchena

HAHAHA... did some computer cleaning/cache/memory work and it was muscle memory.
    www.decl.org

12 years! lol.
    www.decl.org

105 St just south of 104 Ave, on the former Map Town space.
    Not sure how I feel about this, to be honest.

Backstreet Bistro is still shutdown, and still in a state of half-demolition.

^^Silk is only open in evenings till late. Entendre only one or two nights a week.

^Patio area is being filled in for a Mac's Convenience Store.
    www.decl.org

Stopped by last night.

-expanded kitchena

Medwards, are you getting pouncy about someone posting to the board with multiple accounts?

Just wanting to be clear about this..

The silk space looks good but the flashing already looks damaged.

^Metal always 'oil cans' like that, or I guess it could have been bent in installation.
    www.decl.org

Is the Days Inn on 106 St north of 100 Ave still open?
    I do remember that this hotel was closed for a bit but can't recall the details.

C2E Continued Contributor

Days inn still open as of last Wednesday
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Thanks. Days Inn is indeed open as of tonight.
    There is a Leased sign up on the old Albert's space, presumably for the Cora.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Albert's is closing? We have a Cora across the street from us. We've been there once for lunch. Kind of meh just like this post.

I remember when Day's Inn was the Ambassador.

Albert's is closing? We have a Cora across the street from us. We've been there once for lunch. Kind of meh just like this post.

I remember when Day's Inn was the Ambassador.
    Try the Sherwood Park Cora’s. I’ve been there numerous times. Everytime has been good. The last time was fantastic as the waiter joked around with the kids and they had a really great time. I’ve also been to the Cora’s on the west side of Edmonton and it was good too.

The hotel didn't close, but Albert's left many months ago now and yes, Cora is the rumour.
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Has it been mentioned yet that GoodLife is opening up in Commerce Place?

That's the word on the street, former KPMG space.
    www.decl.org

The hotel didn't close, but Albert's left many months ago now and yes, Cora is the rumour.
    Alberts left years ago...not months....Cora is going in; no longer a rumour.

Coming soon to the northern 1/3 of the former Earth's General Store on 104 St (the other 2/3 still up for lease)

Job No 227088968-011
    Description: To Change the Use of an Accessory Specialty Food Service to a Restaurant (Soulful Ingredients) and Operate a Spectator Entertainment Establishment (Special Events) within a portion of an Indoor Participant Recreation Service (gym)
    Plan 1622431 Unit 878
    204, 10125 - 109 STREET NW
    Plan 1622431 Unit 879
    205, 10125 - 109 STREET NW
    Plan 1622431 Unit 880
    201, 10125 - 109 STREET NW
    Plan 1622431 Unit 881
    202, 10125 - 109 STREET NW
    Plan 1622431 Unit 882
    203, 10125 - 109 STREET NW
    Plan 1622431 Unit 883
    Plan 1622431 Unit 891
    10125 - 109 STREET NW
    Condo Common Area (Plan 9020932,1522596,1622431)
    Applicant: SOULFUL INGREDIENTS
    Create Date: 8/1/2018 1:45:36 PM

Filistix is opening near the SE corner of 100 Ave and 107 St

^Beside Subway in the old Trendz?
    www.decl.org

What's a filistix?

What's a filistix?
    From filistix.ca
    Quote Originally Posted by filistix.ca
    Back in 2008, Filistix took to the streets of downtown Edmonton as one of the city’s earliest mobile kitchens. We felt compelled to introduce Filipino inspired street food, the cuisine of our heritage, to the masses. We soon found ourselves as a popular staple at the downtown City Market, and various music festivals and special events across the city.

In the fall of 2011, we opened our first indoor location in the heart of the University of Alberta campus. The subsequent winter, we opened up shop at Macewan University downtown campus. Then a second U of A branch opened the following fall.

It sure wasn’t easy but we have built a great relationship with both of the city’s major universities. Working closely with our partners and our devoted customers, our intention is to change the way people perceive food on campus one ricebowl at a time.

– Ariel del Rosario and Roel Canafranca

Vivo is apparently opening a second location at 105/105, I believe. Not sure if that's public knowledge, or if that's the one "near" Amore.
    And apparently it's already in receivership or some sort of creditor protection...

Vivo closes its downtown Edmonton location
    West end location remains open as staff makes bid to purchase downtown space

http://edmontonjournal.com/life/food...ntown-location

Vivo Ristorante’s downtown location (10505 106 St.) has closed due to bankruptcy, and receivers have taken over the space, says Vivo’s managing director, Gregg Kenney.

The restaurant’s west-end location at 18352 Lessard Rd. remains open and operating as usual, says Kenney.

Kenney says he and Wilbur Randall, the restaurant’s general manager, are hoping to buy the downtown location and re-open the restaurant under new ownership, but no deal has yet been struck.

“I can’t say we’ll be open tomorrow — it’s day-by-day still. There are still a couple of hurdles to jump through with the bank and the landlord to get sign-off.”

At two floors, 300 seats and over 15,000 square feet, Vivo downtown had three venues for lunch and supper — a pizzeria and a taverna on the main floor, and a restaurant on the second floor. It opened in early 2017.
    This building is still for lease. With the arena in easy walking distance and a large parking lot, would this make a good spot for the Pint owners' sports bar/night club they failed to get in the Fox? You could get the MacEwan crowd, too, and its stumbling distance home to 104 ave, Ultima, and the ICE district condos/offices. They would just need to advertise its location well. There is no residential neighbours to worry about, and the local businesses would likely appreciate a spot in addition to Dirtbag Cafe, the Lingnan, and Cafe Amore to go to. Offer game day/concert day parking with in-restaurant purchase like 1st Rnd and they'd be golden. Thoughts?

^I think it will be a tougher place to fill than you think. It has no visibility, 104 Avenue is a barrier to cross, isn't right in the Downtown or Oliver. Has some parking, but that's not enough of a draw to fill the amount of seats I'm guessing it has. They need walk-in traffic in addition to the parking. Maybe MacEwan, but also need residents to go there.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

It's a really bad location, as MacEwan/104th avenue are a massive barrier to attract business from office workers and the core. Any food service business is going to struggle there, I would think. They'll get basically zero lunch time business. And the large size works against it. Many of the old-school large, out of the core/Whyte bars have shut down or converted to concert only venues like the Union because the atmosphere is terrible when there's only 20 people in a place that can hold hundreds.

Vivo is apparently opening a second location at 105/105, I believe. Not sure if that's public knowledge, or if that's the one "near" Amore.
    And apparently it's already in receivership or some sort of creditor protection...

Vivo Ristorante’s downtown location (10505 106 St.) has closed due to bankruptcy, and receivers have taken over the space, says Vivo’s managing director, Gregg Kenney.

The restaurant’s west-end location at 18352 Lessard Rd. remains open and operating as usual, says Kenney.

Kenney says he and Wilbur Randall, the restaurant’s general manager, are hoping to buy the downtown location and re-open the restaurant under new ownership, but no deal has yet been struck.

“I can’t say we’ll be open tomorrow — it’s day-by-day still. There are still a couple of hurdles to jump through with the bank and the landlord to get sign-off.”

At two floors, 300 seats and over 15,000 square feet, Vivo downtown had three venues for lunch and supper — a pizzeria and a taverna on the main floor, and a restaurant on the second floor. It opened in early 2017.
    This building is still for lease. With the arena in easy walking distance and a large parking lot, would this make a good spot for the Pint owners' sports bar/night club they failed to get in the Fox? You could get the MacEwan crowd, too, and its stumbling distance home to 104 ave, Ultima, and the ICE district condos/offices. They would just need to advertise its location well. There is no residential neighbours to worry about, and the local businesses would likely appreciate a spot in addition to Dirtbag Cafe, the Lingnan, and Cafe Amore to go to. Offer game day/concert day parking with in-restaurant purchase like 1st Rnd and they'd be golden. Thoughts?
    ^I think it will be a tougher place to fill than you think. It has no visibility, 104 Avenue is a barrier to cross, isn't right in the Downtown or Oliver. Has some parking, but that's not enough of a draw to fill the amount of seats I'm guessing it has. They need walk-in traffic in addition to the parking. Maybe MacEwan, but also need residents to go there.
    It's a really bad location, as MacEwan/104th avenue are a massive barrier to attract business from office workers and the core. Any food service business is going to struggle there, I would think. They'll get basically zero lunch time business. And the large size works against it. Many of the old-school large, out of the core/Whyte bars have shut down or converted to concert only venues like the Union because the atmosphere is terrible when there's only 20 people in a place that can hold hundreds.
    Points taken. Still, I think it has potential. Its only a block south of the apartments north of 106 avenue. And I could see it being a nice spot for people from the suburbs who want to park outside the downtown core prior to a concert or game, and grab a meal and a pint or two before paying through the nose at the arena. If you could make deals with some of the pubs in the burbs to make it the default park'n'ride bus drop off and pick up zone, that would help too. And if people are willing to walk cross 104 ave and walk east to 1st Rnd for a less hipstery, more sports bar experience, then they should be willing to go north of MacEwan to get to bar at the former Vivo's space. You just need some good street sign advertising combined with some advertising on sports stations and in Roger's Place itself to bring people in. It would still be a gamble, but if the Fox people are looking for a spot, I think they could pull it off.

Maybe in the near future. But not right now - not when 105 St NB is closed due to the never-ending sewer project.

^December 18' it is to clean up, but likely not completely until spring 2019.
    www.decl.org

Points taken. Still, I think it has potential. Its only a block south of the apartments north of 106 avenue. And I could see it being a nice spot for people from the suburbs who want to park outside the downtown core prior to a concert or game, and grab a meal and a pint or two before paying through the nose at the arena. If you could make deals with some of the pubs in the burbs to make it the default park'n'ride bus drop off and pick up zone, that would help too. And if people are willing to walk cross 104 ave and walk east to 1st Rnd for a less hipstery, more sports bar experience, then they should be willing to go north of MacEwan to get to bar at the former Vivo's space. You just need some good street sign advertising combined with some advertising on sports stations and in Roger's Place itself to bring people in. It would still be a gamble, but if the Fox people are looking for a spot, I think they could pull it off.
    This area is AT LEAST 10 years out...

Page 105 of 107 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107 LastLast