Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105
Results 10,401 to 10,449 of 10449

Thread: Downtown Retail | Discussion

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    I see a lot of empty spaces at Commerce Place right now. Has there been some movement by the owners of the building to try and get more occupancy? Looks pretty sad.
    I hear crickets.
    There's empty spaces in Manulife as well.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Industrial areas are often coveted by municipalities to serve as way to offset the 'real cost' of urban sprawl.
    ??? i have no idea what you mean by this IanO or how you or any municipality thinks that would happen or how there would be a direct correlation between two such disparate things.
    Last edited by kcantor; 11-07-2018 at 08:51 AM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I wonder if part of the challenge in filling these retail spaces in Commerce/Manulife is the impending glut of CRUs which will be opening in the ICE District.

Commerce also tries hard to rent out its CRUs to tony clientele to varying degrees of success and failure (luxury swimwear, luxury olive oil, chocolaterie, Sam Abouhassan, etc, etc), but the office tower itself is occupied primarily by more modestly-heeled government workers. Perhaps luxury retail would rather cluster itself around the new Stantec/J.W. Marriott?
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Industrial areas are often coveted by municipalities to serve as way to offset the 'real cost' of urban sprawl.
    ??? i have no idea what you mean by this IanO or how you or any municipality thinks that would happen or how there would be a direct correlation between two such disparate things.

Seems that Vancouver has been sacrificing their industrial land:

Metro Vancouver running out of industrial land

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...land-1.4117401

Downtown Edmonton had rail land and lumberyards etc. Today it’s downtown retail sprawl.
    Last edited by KC; 11-07-2018 at 08:57 AM.

I see a lot of empty spaces at Commerce Place right now. Has there been some movement by the owners of the building to try and get more occupancy? Looks pretty sad.
    I think Commerce Place will always struggle to fill those empty spaces because the second tower never went ahead and never will. Which means their podium is too big.

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    I've been told Scotia Bank is closing both its Jasper Avenue locations - 107 street and 115 street.
    I had to look those up cause I didn't even remember seeing any Scotiabanks on Jasper. Those buildings are not exactly noticeable.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Oh my lord. Reading this thread you wouldn’t know if it was 2018 or 2008. Same old bull$hit, different decade lol
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    I wonder if part of the challenge in filling these retail spaces in Commerce/Manulife is the impending glut of CRUs which will be opening in the ICE District.

Commerce also tries hard to rent out its CRUs to tony clientele to varying degrees of success and failure (luxury swimwear, luxury olive oil, chocolaterie, Sam Abouhassan, etc, etc), but the office tower itself is occupied primarily by more modestly-heeled government workers. Perhaps luxury retail would rather cluster itself around the new Stantec/J.W. Marriott?
    It doesn't help matters when the escalators are down 1/2 the time.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Job No 284926015-002
    Description: To Construct a Temporary Publicly Accessible Private Park which is Accessory to a Professional, Financial and Office Support Service Building (Alberta Blue Cross) for Ten (10) Years.
    Plan NB Blk 7 Lot 54
    10006 - 107 STREET NW
    Plan NB Blk 7 Lot 55
    Applicant: ABC BENEFITS CORPORATION
    Create Date: 7/10/2018 8:44:30 AM

hmmmm
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

Thanks Alberta Blue Cross for putting a successful business out on the street, and leaving the building vacant for 10 years. This temporary park will totally make up for it!

Last time I saw the For Lease sign had a 403 number on it - that's not a good sign, so I'm not surprised. It might help if they had someone local to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Thanks Alberta Blue Cross for putting a successful business out on the street, and leaving the building vacant for 10 years. This temporary park will totally make up for it!
    I understand they bought it for future expansion, but they seem to prefer to pack their employees into their current space like sardines. I don't think the employee are very happy about this, but I am not sure senior management cares.

Of course I believe there also happens to be a totally empty office building immediately north of them now, so perhaps they might pursue that in the meantime.

Is this maybe the redevelopment of the Il Portico building into a temporary park?
    www.decl.org

I think you are off the 'marc' here (pun intended) regarding putting a business out on the street. My understanding from the owners is they sold the building and then moved to a new space with a different restaurant concept - the very successful The Marc restaurant on 106 Street/99 Avenue.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I understand they bought it for future expansion, but they seem to prefer to pack their employees into their current space like sardines. I don't think the employee are very happy about this, but I am not sure senior management cares.

Of course I believe there also happens to be a totally empty office building immediately north of them now, so perhaps they might pursue that in the meantime.
    i believe that "empty office building immediately north of them" sold some time ago and is planned to be a residential conversion... it's a good candidate for that.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

i believe that "empty office building immediately north of them" sold some time ago and is planned to be a residential conversion... it's a good candidate for that.
    Yes I had heard it was planned to be a residential conversion. I suppose it has a fairly good location, but it is rather square and has no balconies so I don't think most residential tenants would find it that desirable. It sure wouldn't be my first choice if I was looking for a place to rent in the area and I don't think the rental market is so booming right now that it will fill quickly. I would imagine they would have to spend a fair bit of money and time to convert it, so I am thinking it might be easier and cheaper to find a good potential commercial tenant nearby, say whose existing space was already packed to the gills to fill at least some of the space.

Job No 287278928-001
    Description: To develop a Cannabis Retail Store
    Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lot 159
    Applicant: MCCOLL (ARMSTRONG BLOCK CANNABIS CORP.), HUNTER D.
    Create Date: 7/11/2018 11:42:04 AM

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Job No 284926015-002
    Description: To Construct a Temporary Publicly Accessible Private Park which is Accessory to a Professional, Financial and Office Support Service Building (Alberta Blue Cross) for Ten (10) Years.
    Plan NB Blk 7 Lot 54
    10006 - 107 STREET NW
    Plan NB Blk 7 Lot 55
    Applicant: ABC BENEFITS CORPORATION
    Create Date: 7/10/2018 8:44:30 AM
    Is this just the parking lot or also that restaurant building?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    I think you are off the 'marc' here (pun intended) regarding putting a business out on the street. My understanding from the owners is they sold the building and then moved to a new space with a different restaurant concept - the very successful The Marc restaurant on 106 Street/99 Avenue.
    My recollection is that ABC bought the building/land with the intention of knocking it down for parking for their staff. So they terminated Il Portico's lease and then found out the city wouldn't actually let them knock the building down for more parking. Yes, the Marc came together a year or two later, but that was out of necessity when they got the boot from their previous location.

It was boneheaded decision making on the part of ABC, and at a time when there wasn't a heck of a lot of good dining options in the area.

Job No 287278928-001
    Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lot 159
    Lol, I guess they can try.
    www.decl.org

Is your post an attempt to indirectly show that you dont believe they will succeed on their request, or that you are not favorable to the request?

^Yeah, what's the problem? Seems an obvious location for a head shop. No schools nearby, no playgrounds. Wasn't DECL arguing on behalf of a dispensation to alter the proximity of liquor stores to one another based on some "unique" downtown requirement? Pretty sure there's a healthy contingent of pot smokers living in downtown condo's.

What about Central High?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Job No 287278928-001
    Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lot 159
    Lol, I guess they can try.
    what's funny about this is that Armstrong Block is a "Dry" Housing Project...so no Alcohol cannot be consumed on the property but Cannabis???...why not!!! haha

Lol you guys are high-larious. 1) They missed the lottery, 2) they won't meet any separation distances.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Lol you guys are high-larious. 1) They missed the lottery, 2) they won't meet any separation distances.
    Exactly, because there are two parks within proximity - Michael Phair and Beaverhills. Oh some of the drama on this forum, now that's 'high'-larious.

Teddy's is currently undergoing renovations.
    Gas Pump is still undergoing renovations - based on peeks thru windows, probably won't be done until autumn.

Job No 287376737-001
    Description: To change the use from "Common Space" to a Cannabis Retail Store
    Plan NB Blk 4 Lots 61-62
    10405 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 4 Lots 63-64
    10405 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 4 Lots 64-66
    Applicant: 10663824 CANADA INC
    Create Date: 7/12/2018 9:39:44 AM

Anything other than Cannabis stores being built in the city?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I'm willing to bet we will be seeing more restaurants popping up after the Cannabis stores open.
    Edmonton is a very exciting place to be right now.

^zing.

^^This is the rush and then things will subside.
    www.decl.org

Job No 112702204-037
    Description: To change the Use from Restaurants to Convenience Retail Stores and to construct interior alterations.
    Plan 1622175 Unit 1
    10238C - 103 STREET NW
    Condo Common Area (Plan 1622175)
    Applicant: CTM DESIGN SERVICES LTD
    Create Date: 7/13/2018 11:46:21 AM
    www.decl.org

I believe this is moving from The Coast Hotel to across the street:

Reference ID: Job No 287159457-001
    Description: To change the use from Professional, Financial Office Support Services Use to Personal Service Shop (AHAVA SALON)
    Plan B2 Blk 5 Lots 191-192
    Applicant: AHAVA SALON, VERONICA GREEN-HASHMI
    Create Date: 7/10/2018 12:55:03 PM
    Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
    www.decl.org

Not a new build, but Fire and Flower has vinyl signage on the windows on a storefront on the north side of Jasper avenue, just east of 116 st. Have the licenses been allotted yet, or are they jumping the gun? The store is about 385 metres away from Oliver School as the crow flies, so it is farther away then the 200 metre limit from a school

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Not a new build, but Fire and Flower has vinyl signage on the windows on a storefront on the north side of Jasper avenue, just east of 116 st. Have the licenses been allotted yet, or are they jumping the gun? The store is about 385 metres away from Oliver School as the crow flies, so it is farther away then the 200 metre limit from a school
    Many cannabis retailers are securing their space and are 'hoping' to be selected by the City to open up shop.

Finally seeing some positive evidence that two restaurants being built in the MNP tower. Workers placed coverings on the windows in the northwest corner of the tower announcing the coming of a new pasta place.

Quote Originally Posted by edmguy111 View Post
    Finally seeing some positive evidence that two restaurants being built in the MNP tower. Workers placed coverings on the windows in the northwest corner of the tower announcing the coming of a new pasta place.
    Amoré Pasta. I’m pretty excited!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't often bus it through 107th to get to 124th street, but just passed the graveyard on the #3 yesterday I noticed the old Discount Jim's location gated off with a blue gate surrounding the premises. How long has this been gated off?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Do you mean the Brick clearance centre? They're planning a new retail strip mall development there. The renders looked pretty interesting, like they're trying to mimic an old European street or something. I know some people hate that "faux historic" stuff but I thought it looked pretty cool.

That's way outta downtown, you know! Might as well be discussing WEM or SEC in this thread!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its always been known as "Discount Jim's" to me, but yes that's the location. Sounds interesting, are there any renders available? Thanks.

The downtown boundaries have always been confusing to me and I've lived here since 1978. To me, downtown exists West up to the General hospital, and East up to 97th street along Jasper Ave proper. There's lots of posts on this thread (including mine) that carry dt to 107th etc. Downtown and the downtown core of course are 2 different things.

I only saw the renders on CTV news, but they don't have the video on their website and I don't remember the name of the development.

Manchester Square.
    Renderings and criticisms found in the Edmonton Construction Projects, Proposals and Rumours 2
    thread, pinned at the top of this very forum.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Its always been known as "Discount Jim's" to me, but yes that's the location. Sounds interesting, are there any renders available? Thanks.

The downtown boundaries have always been confusing to me and I've lived here since 1978. To me, downtown exists West up to the General hospital, and East up to 97th street along Jasper Ave proper. There's lots of posts on this thread (including mine) that carry dt to 107th etc. Downtown and the downtown core of course are 2 different things.
    Depends on who you ask:

DBA - 95st-109/111st from 97ave-105ave
    DECL/EFCL - 97st - 109st from 97ave-105ave
    General public/news media - 97ave to 111ave from 82st-124st
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Manchester Square.
    Renderings and criticisms found in the Edmonton Construction Projects, Proposals and Rumours 2
    thread, pinned at the top of this very forum.
    Thanks! No actual thread for this yet?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post

Depends on who you ask:

DBA - 95st-109/111st from 97ave-105ave
    DECL/EFCL - 97st - 109st from 97ave-105ave
    General public/news media - 97ave to 111ave from 82st-124st
    Good to know. I need a map, lol

July 17, 2018
    170, 10235 - 101 STREET NW
    Plan 8822518 Lot 79C

To construct interior alterations for a restaurant. Change of Use from Personal Service Shop to Restaurant (Delicious Pho).

Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105