Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Retail | Discussion

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by dwells
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    The map shows the formal definition of the "Downtown" neighborhood. In common man terms, downtown also encompasses Oliver and 107 Ave,
    That's the point my questions, SDM. A lot of misunderstanding and pointless arguments arise from focusing on different areas and assuming that everyone is looking at the same block.

At one time the area east of 109 Street was considered downtown-west and Oliver was the west end. In fact, I was told that the Oliver swimming pool was once officially known as the West End Pool and was renamed sometime in the 1960s.
    My two cents worth. Anything west of 109 street I refer to as "Uptown". East is "Downtown". Like I said two cents worth.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by dwells
    At the risk of offending some people here, I applaud you and point out that you are exceptional and do not represent the majority of Edmontonians.

In that vein, you walk that distance because you want to. Many of your neighbors would probably not think twice about taking the car to Oliver Square.
    I drive to Oliver Square too.

And for 6 months of the year walking really isn't a valid method of transportation for most people in Edmonton.

But we're now into the good 6 months.

And as m0nkyman said, the downtown area really isn't that large.

A walk from the legislature to the arts district shouldn't be viewed as an exceptional activity, because it actually is really easy.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled
    A walk from the legislature to the arts district shouldn't be viewed as an exceptional activity, because it actually is really easy.
    I didn't say the activity is exceptional. I said that the people who choose to walk "that far" are exceptional; meaning that the majority would not even consider walking since the LRT stations are so convenient at both ends of the journey. However, many would still choose the car for even that short trip.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Losing another retail space on Jasper Ave

Club Fit is expanding into the Jugo Juice space. That's going to be their new office/admin space, while their old office/admin space will be turned into exercise space (spin class is moving from downstairs, I believe). I know the gym needs the space because the equipment is almost on top of each other, but it is sad that we're losing the street-front retail there.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

As long as it's not a dark stretch of streetfront with lifestyle photos, I'll allow it.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

It'll be okay if Club Fit has a store front window so that people can see activity going on, like those martial arts clubs you see at the odd strip mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    As long as it's not a dark stretch of streetfront with lifestyle photos, I'll allow it.
    What, you don't like fake photos of EXTREMELY happy, medicated people? Cause if these photos are for a pharmacy, you know why they're happy...
    www.decl.org

I have worked out at Club Fit since around August 2008. Jugo Juice has been out of business since around that time.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I wonder how Jugo Juice in that location could have failed... The space is part of Club Fit, is it not? So perhaps Club Fit is the one making the decisions here. How unfortunate...

Partially Addicted to C2E

^Booster Juice has the Edmonton market cornered, I guess.

How's parking for the downtown clubfit?

You are supposed to run there

Those blended smoothie things are for uber-yuppies. Check around UofA campus and in Sherwood Park and St. Albert malls for successful smoothie shops.

Personally, I've only seen big girls drink them, as if they're getting a cup of exercise between meals.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I wonder how Jugo Juice in that location could have failed... The space is part of Club Fit, is it not? So perhaps Club Fit is the one making the decisions here. How unfortunate...
    Yes, Club Fit owns that space but they did lease it out. I know that they initially tried to lure Booster Juice from City Centre Mall but couldn't agree on a lease rate. So they went with Jugo instead.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Jugo juice is from Calgary, and I have to say that their smoothies are not nearly as good as Booster Juice's, who are Edmonton area based.

Chalk me up to the Booster>Jugo crowd. I was disappointed that all I could readily find in Vancouver was Jugo. Whatever's in that juice blend they call "nectar" overpowers any other flavors. Blech.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Booster Juice is damn good. I noticed quite a few while in Toronto this past weekend.

perhaps it will move 'near by'

as for parking BARHONDA, meters are free before 9am and after 6pm
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^^hey stop using my name!
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    perhaps it will move 'near by'
    I think I read somewhere that Jugo Juice was going to reopen in Icon II.
    Also, Health Fare is opening across the street from Club Fit.

Looks like a Good Earth cafe is opening in City Centre East, main floor between TD Bank branch and the TD office tower.

^ Yay! Overpriced baked goods ftw!

I've had a bit of a bad take on Good Earth since they opened on Campus. Every time I go in there SOMETHING goes wrong. What? You put milk in a latte? [email protected]?#! (I'm not kidding)
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Sounds like a parody that SNL or Mad TV would do on GAP or Abercrombie and Fitch......

C2E SME

Well unfortunatly right now Starbucks and Subway are being the most aggressive to putting in new locations, they obviously have the money to do so. It's too bad though that there weren't some other fast food chains that were that aggressive too.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Well unfortunatly right now Starbucks and Subway are being the most aggressive to putting in new locations, they obviously have the money to do so. It's too bad though that there weren't some other fast food chains that were that aggressive too.
    why is that unfortunate?

both are well recognized
    well patroned
    well respected

and show other main brand names that downtown Edmonton is a great place to invest and expand
    www.decl.org

It would be nice to have other options too...

why is that unfortunate?

both are well recognized
    well patroned
    well respected

and show other main brand names that downtown Edmonton is a great place to invest and expand
    It's unfortunate because it is only one or two brands instead of more. Maybe they will help bring up the confidence level for other investors, but so far they just seem to be snatching up retail spaces so that other brands have less places to expand.
    Strathcona City Separatist

^
    ^^

oh i do not disagree, but these are typically found in vast numbers in many downtowns and help encourage non coffee/sandwich places to come in which IMO is a better thing.

I do wish/hope OPA is still going on the corner as well. It would compliment the other 2 well.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Don't get me wrong, if they want to establish a location on every second block all the power to them. I just wish other businesses would step up to the plate and help provide a variety and selection.

I'm surprised that McDonalds isn't in on that game. There's a large gap between the City Centre and Oliver Square locations. Wouldn't mind seeing Burger King return downtown too.

C2E SME

It would be nice to see another McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC, Arby's, Tokyo Express somewhere in the core. Anyone of these in this building would draw more people to the building.

I would LOVE to see a Cobs bakery open up somewhere downtown, maybe in the Quest.

Didn't know where else to post this without starting a new thread.

I really like the seating change in the west food court of CCM. They added 103 seats and more two person seating. Annoying as hell to see one person sitting at 4 person table.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

^ I noticed that too, it's what they put in at the new food court at Southgate.

^that would be a very nice smell for the new residents.

C2E SME

Yes a bakery would be quite nice for there.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I would love a mcdonalds in quest or somewhere streetfront in that area. why is there a lack of mcdonalds near Grant MacEwan or U of A?

Quote Originally Posted by Base View Post
    I would love a mcdonalds in quest or somewhere streetfront in that area. why is there a lack of mcdonalds near Grant MacEwan or U of A?
    Ummm, there's a McDonalds in Oliver, only 7 blocks away from MacEwan, and there is also a McDonalds on 109 Street, only 4 blocks away from the U of A.

C2E SME

And there are how many Subways one a few blocks apart? I think one more McDonalds wouldn't hurt. If not McDonalds then Burger King.

If I wanted to open a Rotten Ronnies right now, I'd be looking at the Jasper/109 St area.

C2E SME

Yeah but in another way think of it this way, if I were to open a fast food restaurant why not try to get it as close as possible to the future hockey arena and as well also next to a busy school like MacEwan.

I see that there is a bakery opening in the west base area of the parkade on Rice Howard way !!

^REALLY?!?! Do you know what kind of Bakery? Like a Cobb's or Dutchess??? That would be wonderful!

Hang on to you mouses folks "It May NOT be A Franchise" perish the thought
    Do not know though

The empty Hy's building on Rice Howard Way really offends me. I would love to see a Keg or something like it go in there.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    The empty Hy's building on Rice Howard Way really offends me. I would love to see a Keg or something like it go in there.
    yup... sad it sits empty.

KEG would be IDEAL there, but again... downtown still seems to have a hard time convincing people it is indeed a good venture.

Their lunch would be PACKED with suits and would do very well with the hotel crowd. Mind you I would prefer another brand for we have Ruth's and Lux with a steak focus.
    www.decl.org

I wonder how a good seafood place would do in that (old Hy's) spot?

^Wasn't an office building (Westcorp?) proposed for that space?

Has anyone heard of any retail tenants for the spaces in the Meridian? Or the extra spaces in the new Intact Tower on Jasper Ave and 109 Street?

Quote Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
    ^Wasn't an office building (Westcorp?) proposed for that space?
    correct....
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    yup... sad it sits empty.

KEG would be IDEAL there, but again... downtown still seems to have a hard time convincing people it is indeed a good venture.

Their lunch would be PACKED with suits and would do very well with the hotel crowd. Mind you I would prefer another brand for we have Ruth's and Lux with a steak focus.
    On the other hand...why did Hys go out of business in the first place?

^Hy's closed all but one location if i recall...
    www.decl.org

Looking on their webpage, they still have several locations across Canada.
    http://www.hyssteakhouse.com/hys-locations.html

But yeah, bring on The Keg or Milestones or some-effing-body.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Looking on their webpage, they still have several locations across Canada.
    http://www.hyssteakhouse.com/hys-locations.html

But yeah, bring on The Keg or Milestones or some-effing-body.

So Winnipeg can support a Hy's at Portage and Main while Edmonton can't?
    Huh? Edmonton's market 1 150 000 vs The Peg's at 760 000, again Huh?

Did the local manager take off to Rio with all the reciepts the entire time they were open?

The Keg
    Milestones
    Montana's
    Joey's
    Cactus Club.........Anybody!
    Last edited by NielCole; 26-03-2010 at 07:32 PM.

^ no the owner got old and retired

The Edmonton Hy's was Pvt owned.. the Calgary on too I think.

The ones that remained open are likely owned by the keg and thusly Hy's Son.

From the Keg website

In 1997, Vancouver businessman David Aisenstat purchased The Keg. Mr. Aisenstat also owns a number of fine-dining steakhouse establishments, including the Hy's Steakhouse chain.

David Aisenstat was born into the restaurant business. His father, Hy Aisenstat, was one of the giants of the Canadian restaurant industry and founder of the famous Hy's Steakhouse chain.

After graduating from university, David joined Nabisco Brands, moving quickly through the corporate ranks in Montreal, Toronto and New York. In 1981, David returned to Canada as Vice-President of Hy's. His contributions to the company were recognized by his appointment first to Executive Vice-President, and then to President of Hy's in 1988.

During his time at Hy's, David also played an active role on both the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee of Keg Restaurants Ltd. This involvement continued until the sale of Keg Restaurants Ltd. to Whitbread PLC, a large British brewing and hospitality conglomerate, in 1987. Ten years later, and armed with a lifetime of knowledge in the steakhouse market, David seized the opportunity to purchase The Keg Steakhouse & Bar chain from Whitbread in 1997.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 26-03-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

the owner should have sell to new owner to keep HY's running

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    So there was nobody to keep it up and running?

Either Hy's in Edmonton was a tad inept or, I would suspect that our local restaurant groups were better at reading the market and what Edmonton's corporate crowd wanted and could provide for? Or were they providing too much competition that Hy's could not meet?
    Last edited by NielCole; 27-03-2010 at 02:45 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

edit: nevermind, lost in translation

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Has anyone heard of any retail tenants for the spaces in the Meridian? Or the extra spaces in the new Intact Tower on Jasper Ave and 109 Street?
    So... Anyone?

As of yesterday, Canadian Soup and Sandwich closed down in City Centre East (basement level near food court). Hopefully another lunch spot opens up there.

C2E Posting Power

As of yesterday, Canadian Soup and Sandwich closed down in City Centre East (basement level near food court). Hopefully another lunch spot opens up there.
    There is another 'brand name' restaurant going in there, should be some sort of announcement publically on who fairly soon.

^The Sorentinos there is doing very well at lunch time. If I had the wherewithal, I would set up the first one of those in Calgary.

That is very sad... I really liked that place. Very simple, but quick and a quality bite to eat there.

Quote Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
    That is very sad... I really liked that place. Very simple, but quick and a quality bite to eat there.

yeah, yesterday I was at the food court and saw that it was closed for good . but I hope something good food is being planned for this.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
    There is another 'brand name' restaurant going in there, should be some sort of announcement publically on who fairly soon.
    Wonder who that would be?
    I know the space is too small for a Keg/Earls/Milestones.
    As long as it's not a fast food place, there's already some vacant food court slots in both E and W.

jugo juice will be opening 4 th at Edmonton city centre but did not say anything about icon II

http://www.jugojuice.com/locations/alberta/edmonton

C2E SME

While that space is going, has anyone seen any spaces on Jasper Ave available for Lease?

Looks like a Good Earth cafe is opening in City Centre East, main floor between TD Bank branch and the TD office tower.
    Grand opening is on April 27

Mucho Burrito is opening in the HSBC tower north of City Centre West

Job No 98556491-001: To change the use from a General Retail to a Restaurant (Mucho Burrito)
    10250 - 101 STREET NW
    Plan 2137RS Blk 1 Lot F
    ISI HOLDINGS 786-3 LTD
    DOWNTOWN

A couple of new places on 97 st around 102A Ave. Oil lamp is a Mediteranean resto. Vey good ambience and good food. Second place is Early Bird Cafe a few doors south. Been open a couple of weeks. Could this be the start of the Quarters? Would love to see a restaurant/pub in the south corner bay of the Dub low income housing apartment. Large potential patio and directly across from Canada Place and could provide some company for Hardware Grill.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Quote Originally Posted by booster View Post
    A couple of new places on 97 st around 102A Ave. Oil lamp is a Mediteranean resto. Vey good ambience and good food. Second place is Early Bird Cafe a few doors south. Been open a couple of weeks. Could this be the start of the Quarters? Would love to see a restaurant/pub in the south corner bay of the Dub low income housing apartment. Large potential patio and directly across from Canada Place and could provide some company for Hardware Grill.
    Yes, a resto-lounge in the City Market building would be great. The large windows would add some animation to the street plus alot of room for a patio.

Looks like another clothing store is opening up on 104 Street. This one is in the Great West Saddlery Building.

coup boutique
    #101 10137 104 Street
    Edmonton, Ab

Coup Boutique is an upmarket women’s contemporary clothing store located in the historical warehouse district in the heart of downtown Edmonton. Coup will be opening in early Autumn 2010.

^yup saw that... good to see as we need to diversify 104st a little.

Also noticed that 'a touch of grey' on 124st is a clothing store, not a seniors hairstylist.
    www.decl.org

^Yes and Black and Bold moved to the little trendy area along 124 St and 108 ave-ish

The Kabsa space (Jasper Ave and 103 St, west of Second Cup) has been leased. Anyone know what's opening up in there?

I would love to see a deli go in there.
    www.decl.org

I'd like to see a resto-bar open up in the NW corner of Jasper Ave and 103 St where Calgary Connection used to be.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

There are more than enough bad places to eat downtown -- and they are all bad.

Would be nice to see some real retail of all kinds. Like the boutique on 104 -- wish it luck.

^ What do you like? And what makes them ALL bad.

Anyone know what will be going in ICON II (when is the retail there supposed to open? Fall?)? Any offers on Serenity or Illuminada II?
    ----

I just happen to saw help wanted classified saying hiring is for fat burger at city centre east meaning there is grand opening very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
    Anyone know what will be going in ICON II (when is the retail there supposed to open? Fall?)? Any offers on Serenity or Illuminada II?
    All asking far too much... so dont expect anything for a little while.
    www.decl.org

What is with condo's asking ridiculous leasing rates for their retail spaces? Considering the frontage of Serenity and Illuminada II both have poor to mediocre retail podiums, I am constantly amazed to hear what is being asked PSF.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercucio View Post
    ^ What do you like? And what makes them ALL bad.
    As regards food, my tastes were wiped off the fashionable/nice menus by the mid-eighties; but that's me. (I LIKE what the Monte Christo sandwich represents. )

But in general as far as I am concerned the downtown restos and bars are either rude, pretentious, too expensive for what they are, or some or all the above.

And the more new places open, the more "predictable" gets added to the list of negatives.

Monte Christo? Didn´t he host ¨Let´s Make a Deal (with GOD edition)¨?
    ¨I do have six clothespins in my purse. Eternal peace or what´s behind the curtain? I´ll take my chances on the curtain Monte!¨
    I generally agree that mid range dining downtown is sorely lacking. We need a street food revolution in this town.

^concur in full... $8-15 food is very weak in this city, but still available and not pretentious or rude in many locations.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    What is with condo's asking ridiculous leasing rates for their retail spaces? Considering the frontage of Serenity and Illuminada II both have poor to mediocre retail podiums, I am constantly amazed to hear what is being asked PSF.
    Poor to mediocre? Uh... right on jasper, huge density in the area, good visibility???
    www.decl.org

^That stretch is no Whyte Ave. The area hasn't reached that potential, therefore unless you actually know something Ian, I'm going to say you can see it with the noticable LACK of tenants at both. So nobody knows when ICON II is opening?
    ----

no whyte, but great potential with good incomes and high densities.

Icon II retail? nothing is signed for main to my knowledge since praha got nixed.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    I dunno, it's almost a chicken and egg situation downtown right now for retail. There's not a lot of new, prime, retail spaces so the lease rates for what there is tend to be stupid high. And then on the other hand, there's not a lot of critical mass or shopping foot traffic, so there's not a huge demand or a development push for more similar, quality, retail space.

^I agree. I think that both the developer / property owners believe that their space is worth the $psf given that there is a lack of good quality space out there. At the same time the tenants aren't sure that the market is 'there yet' to buy into the higher rates. It's at a tipping point imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    ^Yes and Black and Bold moved to the little trendy area along 124 St and 108 ave-ish
    Just to derail the thread for a moment. has anyone else noticed the new Electronic Jumbotron billboard above the former Black&Bold space.They were testing it today, probably visible from space and should be enough to distract east bound traffic on Jasper after coming around the corner of 124th.

C2E SME

^hmmmm, haven't seen that.

Actually I'm surprised that there hasn't been anything installed somewhere more in the core of the downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    ^hmmmm, haven't seen that.

Actually I'm surprised that there hasn't been anything installed somewhere more in the core of the downtown.
    Trust me when it's up and running you WILL see it....I'm sure the people in the towers across the street will JUST LOVE IT!

" It's at a tipping point imo."

Don't use my line
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Then don't use Gladwell's title!

^trust me, not in reference to him, the last thing I want to do is reference mr. connect the dots obvious.
    www.decl.org

Jasper Ave west of 105 St - both the Fantasia Noodle House and Raleigh convenience store are closed and the retail bays cleaned out.

^Interesting...hmmm, I wonder what is going on there.

no whyte, but great potential with good incomes and high densities.

Icon II retail? nothing is signed for main to my knowledge since praha got nixed.
    I thought I saw a sign just the other day for some sort of hair styling place, if I go by there again soon I'll be sure to take a look.

Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast