Page 113 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113
Results 11,201 to 11,296 of 11296

Thread: Greater Downtown Retail | Discussion

April 12, 2019
    10556 - 97 STREET NW

To construct a General Retail Store use building.

^Good to see that gap filled.
    www.decl.org

Tiffin window vinyl off!
    www.decl.org

C2E Long Term Contributor

How much longer til they're done?

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^ They were really beavering away at it today. I saw lots of workers and equipment. But I'm not expert enough to say how long the job is going to be.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    ^ They were really beavering away at it today. I saw lots of workers and equipment. But I'm not expert enough to say how long the job is going to be.
    it will be a good couple weeks yet - some of the detailing and some of the workmanship isn't where it should be and needs to be addressed but it will be a nice change the owners can be proud of when it's done.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

From onlyhereforthefood.ca:

• Say Uncle has taken over the space formerly occupied by Aarde at 10184 104 Street, and is aiming for a May opening. The restaurant comes from some of the folks behind Sandwich and Sons (which, at one time, was actually housed at this location), and Chefs Andrew Cowan and Matt Phillips of Northern Chicken are involved in designing the small plates menu.

Former Chartier chef Steve Brochu launches own business with new cafe MilkCrate (EPCOR Tower)

https://edmontonjournal.com/life/foo...box=1556652949
    www.decl.org

It's early May and Tiffin is still not open even though all the hoarding is gone. Are they gonna open sometime this year, or what?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^They posted on Facebook about a week ago that it's opening any day now.
    www.decl.org

Goloso Italian Bar has shutdown in the World Trade Centre even though the sign is still up outside. Oh the irony...

^ I could be wrong, but I think that happened a long time ago. I feel as though that place was only open for a very brief period of time.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

^Ya that was like a 6-12 month ago I believe.
    www.decl.org

Reference ID: Job No 312882325-001
    Description: To install (1) Fascia On-premises Sign (DORINKU OSAKA STREET FOOD)
    Plan NB Blk 3 Lot 155
    Applicant: PERMIT SOLUTIONS INC
    Create Date: 5/6/2019 10:10:52 AM
    Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Reference ID: Job No 312794912-001
    Description: To change the use from Professional, Financial and Office Support Services Use to Restaurant Use (416.21m2, 130 pax) and construct interior alterations
    Plan B2 Blk 6 Lot 162
    Applicant: NAI COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE, JULIE LAM
    Create Date: 5/3/2019 2:48:06 PM
    Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
    www.decl.org

I noticed when I walked by the Westin yesterday that they have Marriott
    branded window coverings by the entrance. Has anyone heard if Marriott purchased The Westin? I know The Westin was put up for sale a few months ago

The Westin is part of the Marriott corporate brand. Still for sale.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    The Westin is part of the Marriott corporate brand. Still for sale.
    Ah ok then. My bad. Has there been any rumours about who may be interested in it?

It is packed with Calgary and Ottawa, so there should be some decent interest.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

It is packed with Calgary and Ottawa, so there should be some decent interest.
    Not sure what this means Ian?

Correct, Marriott bought Starwood (both Westin and Sheraton) - I am assuming they are KEEPING it as a Westin branded property. If not, fine - they do a complete gut job and give us a "W" = which would be nice. But thinking it's gonna a Westin for a while.....with the JW and all.....

Packaged with two other properties.
    www.decl.org

Holt Renfrew is closing its Edmonton store. Today's announcement says the closing date is set for Jan 11, 2020. Company says its ongoing strategy is to focus on large-format stores. The #yeg location is considered small-format.

https://twitter.com/CarolAmadeoCBC/s...31904623742976

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

That's really unfortunate to hear.

Sad day for downtown. Holt is most going for big stores where they lease out space to luxury brands. With Holt out, I wonder if this will entice Nordstrom to get into our market.. but I doubt that they would choose downtown. The writing was on the wall since LV decided to move to WEM.

C2E Posting Power

Can't they open a "large format" store in West Ed? Why so glum?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yet more downtown revitalization that the arena brings.

Has anybody been downtown on a Sunday lately ?

Top_Dawg makes his rounds every Sunday.

Holy f*ck.

The vagrancy, the homelessness, the meth heads, the screwballs, the BMX riding dial-a-dopers were bad last year.

It now looks like they've multiplied tenfold.

Hardly a severely normal person anywhere.

Unreal.

C2E SME

Well it's unfortunate.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Holy f*ck.

The vagrancy, the homelessness, the meth heads, the screwballs, the BMX riding dial-a-dopers were bad last year.

Unreal.
    I went last Sunday, there were lots of people at the Funicular, a few a Churchill Square (probably mostly homeless to be honest) and lots of people out for Brunch but not on the street.

Once you get around 102ave and the LRT construction it's terrible and Churchill being in a construction sandwich has not helped at all.

The LRT construction should never have been allowed to take this many seasons with nothing getting done in Winter.

Most of these areas will recover when the major construction is done this year and in 2020, but it's be a very rough couple years.

C2E Posting Power

Holy f*ck.

Unreal.
    Haha!!! "BMX riding dial-a-dopers," is that a thing? Are they recruiting that young that they don't even have a learner's yet? Or is it that they are just your "regular, unemployed, skid mark, [email protected] head?"

Quote Originally Posted by FlyYeg View Post
    Sad day for downtown. Holt is most going for big stores where they lease out space to luxury brands. With Holt out, I wonder if this will entice Nordstrom to get into our market.. but I doubt that they would choose downtown. The writing was on the wall since LV decided to move to WEM.
    Downtown has to hit a tipping point in terms of population, plus major construction projects still underway.

Reminder that Ottawa, Winnipeg and Quebec City locations are already closed, Mississauga maybe closing.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post

Holy f*ck.

Unreal.
    Haha!!! "BMX riding dial-a-dopers," is that a thing? Are they recruiting that young that they don't even have a learner's yet? Or is it that they are just your "regular, unemployed, skid mark, [email protected] head?"
    In my observation it seems like most of the sketchy gang-banger looking (adult) down&outers on bike are usually on a BMX. The homeless bottle-pickers and generic poor have mostly Canadian tire mountain bikes.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Downtown has to hit a tipping point in terms of population, plus major construction projects still underway.

Reminder that Ottawa, Winnipeg and Quebec City locations are already closed, Mississauga maybe closing.
    Tipping point?!? Is there even a scale operating that can measure against such an infinitesimal blip as the current wave of "downtown revitalization"?

As DanC optimistically points out, the downtown office crowd will return to summertime lunching in Churchill Square once major construction is finished. And they will be greeted with pom-poms by the usuals as evidence of "successful revitalization efforts". Edmonton - Celebrating Mediocrity Since the Late 80's

Too bad they didnt try to move into the Ice District.
    Their current location is sad, antiquated, dark, unassuming and uninviting.

We knew that this would happen eventually. Although I don't think that all is lost. For example, they left Ottawa because they couldn't find a large space by Rideau Centre which is what they wanted. I would assume that if they found the space they would return. Also remember that they left the Calgary market in 1988 and returned 2 years later when Eaton Centre (now the core) opened. I would think that if they found the right space in Edmonton, like WEM for example, they would return.

Full article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...pOgH6TX-_UDGWM

I guess it's a loss, I won't deny that, but I personally had poor customer service there and didn't have much of an appetite to support it. Hopefully the Manulife podium can be reformatted for other opportunities.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    We knew that this would happen eventually. Although I don't think that all is lost. For example, they left Ottawa because they couldn't find a large space by Rideau Centre which is what they wanted. I would assume that if they found the space they would return. Also remember that they left the Calgary market in 1988 and returned 2 years later when Eaton Centre (now the core) opened. I would think that if they found the right space in Edmonton, like WEM for example, they would return.
    Doubt we'll ever see Holt in West Ed, especially as the mall has been pushing hard the last few years to agglomerate many high-end brands into that 2nd floor strip.
    Twenty one, thirty one, and seven twenty-seven.

Funny, should Holt decide to re-enter the market, I'd think Southgate would be the more likely location.

It's smaller than WEM, but has some high end stores (Crate and Barrel, Restoration Hardware, Apple, etc.)

And frankly, closer to higher end neighbourhoods.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post

Tipping point?!? Is there even a scale operating that can measure against such an infinitesimal blip as the current wave of "downtown revitalization"?

As DanC optimistically points out, the downtown office crowd will return to summertime lunching in Churchill Square once major construction is finished. And they will be greeted with pom-poms by the usuals as evidence of "successful revitalization efforts". Edmonton - Celebrating Mediocrity Since the Late 80's
    Not sure what you're on about, but specifically about population numbers is outlined in DBA report from last summer. And its something commercial realtors talk about a lot.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Funny, should Holt decide to re-enter the market, I'd think Southgate would be the more likely location.

It's smaller than WEM, but has some high end stores (Crate and Barrel, Restoration Hardware, Apple, etc.)

And frankly, closer to higher end neighbourhoods.
    I agree Southgate would make good sense, but I'm not sure of they understand Edmonton that well. It's unfortunate they are going, but they were really just treading water here for the last 10 years or so. However, it could be a good thing for Manulife, it could free up space for a new retailer or retailers that might make the space more vibrant. They were stodgy and the layout was not that inviting. It was a space so many people walked by, but most did not go in. Its funny, the Calgary space was so open and bright when I went there, it was almost like a totally different company ran it.

Let's face is, Holt here sucked and they either always planned to close it or set it up to becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. Bad store, bad selection, bad customer service.

I would have rather, and did, shop at any other high-end men's wear retailer.

This is really disappointing. We try to spend all as much of our retail dollars downtown as possible. Manulife and City Centre are our go to places for clothing. Our Holt's does suck compared to the other ones, however, we do try to support it as much as possible. Henry Singer and Alligator Pie are now the only decent shops left for men and children respectively. How long will Blu's last now?

The population has grown exponentially since I was a kid, but the retail offerings downtown have diminished exponentially too. There is a lot of wealth in Edmonton, however, it is not being spent downtown. The city really needs to reflect on this and come up with a retail strategy to help lure shops back into the core. Landlords, hopefully behind the scenes are also offering every incentive possible to attract and retain. People will return or begin to frequent places if given a reason to do so.

Maybe this is a chance for the Bay to up its game and make the city center location a destination but from what I can see, they are slowly diminishing their offerings as well. This will give them the excuse to say there was no market.
    Last edited by metro; 14-05-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Edmonton just isn't as rich as it thinks it is.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Only a few Canadian cities, only a few North American cities, have healthy retail in the core. In Canada, its really just Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary (one mall - the core), which matches where Holt have their downtown stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    You don't have to be rich to shop at Holts, they have some items available that you cant find anywhere else.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Zenaris is about to relocate to Enbridge, so I have to question the competency of Manulife.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Zenaris is about to relocate to Enbridge, so I have to question the competency of Manulife.
    on the other hand, tenants move all the time for a host of reasons - bigger premises, smaller premises, exterior access, signage, patios... none of them - or any combination thereof - is necessarily a reflection on their previous landlord's competency. besides, isn't that same level of competency responsible for deep mind locating in the same building zenari's is moving out of? these are business decisions that respectfully deserve more than emotional cheap shot responses.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Yes, you know not much. 2010 numbers tell us Edmonton is #2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ties_in_Canada

^ 9 years ago...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

^ 9 years ago...
    Well 2016 Edmonton was 3. But you can go find out the stats in greater detail - I don't need to change your little boy diaper for you.

I think that's part of the problem. I recently brought up a concern with them about a repair taking a long time and was given the brush off. I think they were used to being the premiere building in downtown Edmonton, but that's changing with several new buildings open or opening soon. They are going to have to up their game a bit, if they want to stay in it.

I suppose it happens to many buildings of a certain age and also retail, especially downtown, is not what it used to be. I think it might be a good opportunity for them to reinvent themselves and perhaps bring in some more appealing new retail tenants. They still have a good location and a good office tower. Holts was a bit tired and stodgy and even though it was a reliable tenant I think it was starting to bring Manulife down. Ultimately, they may be better off without it.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Yes, you know not much. 2010 numbers tell us Edmonton is #2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ties_in_Canada
    Its not crazy boom times now, but a lot of the fundamentals haven't changed - more affordable housing, lower taxes than most other provinces and above average incomes = higher disposable incomes still than most other cities in Canada. I gather Holts has decided it only wants to focus on the larger markets and that is their strategy. I am not sure it is a good stategy. When a retailer starts to retreat like that, it usually is not a good sign for them.

C2E Continued Contributor

Do we blame the ol ndp government for this

Because spending money at Holts qualifies one as rich
    Last edited by Bill; 14-05-2019 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    on the other hand, tenants move all the time for a host of reasons - bigger premises, smaller premises, exterior access, signage, patios... none of them - or any combination thereof - is necessarily a reflection on their previous landlord's competency. besides, isn't that same level of competency responsible for deep mind locating in the same building zenari's is moving out of? these are business decisions that respectfully deserve more than emotional cheap shot responses.
    There's a difference between office space (which Deep Mind has taken) and retail podium space. And when you look at the latter? Just in the past year alone, Holt Renfrew announced their departure, Zenaris will be leaving soon, Escada pulled out along with several other retailers, and I'm sure Second Cup is gone. And who knows what will become of RBC, Blu's, Headlines, Night Owl, Henry Singer, Swish and Alligator Pie? When you end up with just empty CRUs in the Manulife Place podium in such short order, blood will need to be spilled in leasing.

^Not to mention Birks folding shop.

Too much damn never ending construction downtown.

And the new retail bays opening in the various new towers.

Speaking of, apparently Henry Singer will be relocating from Manulife to one of the arena district properties:

The future of the Manulife Place, as well as downtown Edmonton, is now more uncertain than ever. Holt Renfrew’s vacating downtown Edmonton leaves a huge hole in the core, and the city will lose its only true luxury ‘department store’. The Manulife Place has seen several prominent store closures over the past couple of years, including a Birks jewellery store and German luxury brand Escada. Sources say that menswear retailer Henry Singer will relocate its Manulife Place store to the nearby ICE District, and that the large Zenari’s cafe on the ground floor of Manulife Place, across from Holt Renfrew, will also be relocating.
    Perhaps that was mentioned elsewhere, but it's news to me.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...edmonton-store

You realize that Canada only has a few major cities period, and you listed apx 80 percent of them.

I corrected that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Too much damn never ending growth downtown.
    www.decl.org

i was a proud edmontonian who vigoursly supported downtown, but i live in suburbia. and many changes downtown are making it more difficult for suburban residents like me and my family to cont supporting it. bike lanes which few use, but which used up strageticially placed paid on street parking. an lrt system which will be too slow for me to want to give up my car and takes away important travel lanes into the downtown.

perhaps most importantly, the appearance. it's just as dirty as ever with litter, ample amount of winter sand, no diligence by the city to clean it up. it feels gross. and the vagrancy is appalling/ unsafe. the social agencies exist to grow that, they don't want to solve that because the executive directors will lose their six figure salaries. and so, downtown is left to become one big homeless shelter keeping the well heeled with disposable incomes in their sw enclaves and resulting in the holt renfrews of the world closing up. sad

Some clarification:

Bike lanes - ~144 on-street were removed from the entire Downtown, very little impact on each block actually and the lane counters show thousands of cyclists/day in many areas, but certainly improvement in numbers is important.

LRT will improve things, not take things away in the context of Downtown.

Apparence is my #1 issue and we just submitted a portion of a report going to Exec Comm to raise the standards. MUCH work is being done, more required.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    i was a proud edmontonian who vigoursly supported downtown, but i live in suburbia. and many changes downtown are making it more difficult for suburban residents like me and my family to cont supporting it. bike lanes which few use, but which used up strageticially placed paid on street parking. an lrt system which will be too slow for me to want to give up my car and takes away important travel lanes into the downtown.
    Leaving aside your anti-anti-poverty tangent, I realize it may be tempting to assume that downtown bike lanes are not well-used, but I will say that, from my experience as a pedestrian who used to walk home from DT along the 102 Ave bike route regularly, it's more well-used than you probably think.

You probably don't remember downtown from the mid-90's to the mid-2000's do you? Are we there yet, no. Have we made significant progress, yes, and I challenge you to prove me otherwise. Do we have a ways to go, absolutely.

It's funny, I live in an inner suburb and the LRT and bike lanes make life better for me getting around Downtown. Maybe that is just luck of being close enough where either mode is pretty convenient.

The real issue I have is the price of transit and the silly 90 min window for a transfer. If I want to take transit downtown for an extended brunch/lunch/dinner/movie I have to pay both ways to travel on transit for less than 10 mins in each direction...so we drive and park for $1 or $2 underground off peak or bike.

Apparence is my #1 issue and we just submitted a portion of a report going to Exec Comm to raise the standards. MUCH work is being done, more required.
    Maybe DBA should spend some of the money they collect from every downtown business and hire some people to do downtown clean up 265 days a year. Doing so would help attract more people than lobbying for fancy sidewalks and custom light standards.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post

Maybe DBA should spend some of the money they collect from every downtown business and hire some people to do downtown clean up 265 days a year. Doing so would help attract more people than lobbying for fancy sidewalks and custom light standards.
    Doesn't the DBA provide financial support to Downtown Proud?

^^Mid nineties to early 2000's I lived downtown.

Since that time, considering the vast civic and private infrastructure investments made, the increased population, not to mention the unrelenting harangue from officials, advocates and cheerleaders of the place Top Dawg's description of downtown on a Sunday afternoon is painfully accurate. It doesn't look to me a whole lot different than it did in 1998 (or whenever the Save-on 109st got built) - maybe from the 15th storey window of a shiny 104st condo tower things look greatly improved but walking around, trying to do errands, searching for entertainment options very little has changed. A clutch of pretentious restaurants opened? Big whoop.

^in reply to thatguy

In terms of the bike lane comment, this is a common opinion I have heard from family and friends who live/work outside the core. The 102 avenue lane in particular is used much more than you would think for rush hour commuting. Do we not hold the same opinion for vehicle road usage? These important travel lanes take up so much walk-able space and are empty outside of 8-5 weekdays and event nights. There is still ample street and parkade parking, much of it free! It is actually laughable how much free parking there is compared to Calgary.

The comments on appearance are fair. I don't see how key areas (124th street, 104th street, Whyte avenue strip) do not have designated machine sidewalk sweeping. Responsibility also falls on tenants, I know I would be sweeping my sidewalk if I was paying that kind of rent for a small business.

The safety comments I can understand, especially since you mentioned your family. I maintain an opinion that the majority of homeless I interact with downtown are not dangerous, but the intoxication/hard drug usage/severe mental illness is very noticeable. And I take a bus from outside commerce place Timmies, so I won't even get started on the BMX riding, face-tattooed young gentleman who are always looking for trouble.

My two cent summary: we still have a ways to go, but the more people who stick through these growing pains and speak up about their concerns the better. Downtown still beats the Lonesome Crowded Windermere to me.
    Last edited by captain_yosha; 15-05-2019 at 11:23 AM. Reason: reply clarification

I took the below picture of cyclists stopped at the light at 102 ave and 116 st, on the Oliverbaun portion of the 102 ave bike trail in May of 2018 . I'm not usually around the trail at rush hour, but I suspect the trail is even more utilized now.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    You probably don't remember downtown from the mid-90's to the mid-2000's do you? Are we there yet, no. Have we made significant progress, yes, and I challenge you to prove me otherwise. Do we have a ways to go, absolutely.
    The residential population of Downtown more than doubled between 1996 and 2008, and since then has increased at a more moderate pace. Particularly transformative during the late 90s and early 2000s were the per residential unit incentive payments. These incentives helped get Railtown, warehouse conversions, and several other projects built.

Historical population data here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Edmonton

The 2016 population was 12,768 which was down a bit from two years earlier: https://www.edmonton.ca/city_governm...NTOWN_2016.pdf

With several major residential towers completed since 2016, there should be a healthy increase in Downtown's population when the 2019 municipal census results are released in a few months time. IMO, this is not about tipping points, it's about steady growth in the numbers of people who both live and visit Downtown. This in turn will increase the profitability of existing retail and encourage new retail to locate Downtown.

^Looks to me like they're headed 124st way. A great place to hang (has been ever since I moved to Dirt City in the mid-nineties), has received a sliver of the civic treasure spent downtown and continues to improve impressively.

Quote Originally Posted by nickv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post

Doesn't the DBA provide financial support to Downtown Proud?
    We were an original partner/founder of the program and just cut another significant cheque to support the fantastic work that they do.
    www.decl.org

Some clarification:

Bike lanes - ~144 on-street were removed from the entire Downtown, very little impact on each block actually and the lane counters show thousands of cyclists/day in many areas, but certainly improvement in numbers is important.

LRT will improve things, not take things away in the context of Downtown.

Downtown bike lanes: great addition to downtown for a relatively small investment though better connections to surrounding areas would be nice. Tough cookies to the people complaining about loss of parking spaces; there's lots of other spaces still left.

LRT: yes.

Appearance: my God but Edmonton fails badly in this department. Maybe when all the construction is finished things will get better? But if the neglect rendered upon Edmonton's public spaces by the COE is anything to go by (see Louise McKinney Park, for example) then any short-term gains from the end of construction will be quickly overcome by entropy and endemic social malaise.

^ with regards to appearance, we do have an issue with "cleanliness" for sure.
    Compared to our southern neighbour, we have trash everywhere, cigarette butts everywhere, dirt and dust everywhere.

Perhaps the chinooks also have the benefit of blowing all their trash all their streets and out of the city, but Calgary feels like a very clean city compared to Edmonton.

Our "dirtiness" only seems to magnify the closer to the core you get. Also doesn't help when we have a large population of the sort of folks who like to dumpster dive and then walk off.

BuT NoBodY EvER UsES thE BiKE LAnes!

C2E Posting Power

I hear that all of the time....I just chalk it up to the fact that YYC is practically in a desert, with hardly any natural vegetation to speak of - with a ton of wind....so NO garbage ever gets caught up in the bushes or trees.....

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    ^ with regards to appearance, we do have an issue with "cleanliness" for sure.
    Compared to our southern neighbour, we have trash everywhere, cigarette butts everywhere, dirt and dust everywhere.

Perhaps the chinooks also have the benefit of blowing all their trash all their streets and out of the city, but Calgary feels like a very clean city compared to Edmonton.

Our "dirtiness" only seems to magnify the closer to the core you get. Also doesn't help when we have a large population of the sort of folks who like to dumpster dive and then walk off.
    I 10000% agree. My girlfriend moved to Eau Claire in Calgary, and walking all across downtown with her is stunning how cleanly it is. What is the City of Calgary doing that the CoE is failing so bad with?

City Council and the City Civil Service (aka, The Social Engineers)are so obsessed with its anti-motor vehicle agenda as exemplified by useless bicycle lanes everywhere and regulating speed limits (we can only speculate what the new Police Chief's report about speed limits says due to the alarm it created with the Social Engineers that they suppressed it yesterday with spurious claims of "privilege') that the fact that they have allowed the core part of 102 Avenue to be shut down for so-called construction almost all winter with minimal activity, while the Ice District is still being built, while at the same time as the never-ending rebuild of the Library was taking place along with the closure of the wading pool, it never dawned on them that that would make downtown look like a war zone and take away areas where the less fortunate citizens east of downtown used to gather thus seeing them disburse into the business areas.

Once upon a time Churchill Square was a pleasant grassy area where people could actually sit and eat lunch or laze about during the warmer months but now it is nothing more than a barren concrete rectangle that is surrounded by the construction war zone.

Then during our bitterly cold February the Social Engineers opened up the LRT Stations without providing any extra security personnel and many of the people who took advantage of that also took advantage of the opportunity to wander in and out of buildings downtown and discovered all sorts of nooks and crannies where they can drink, use drugs , urinate, panhandle and accost passersby. Just last week again they had to remove someone from the stairwell on the 26th floor of our building. Now downtown office buildings have hired extra security personnel to patrol ceaselessly in their Kevlar stab-proof vests in order to try to establish lawful order.

I have worked downtown for almost 38 years and it is unbelievable how this disgrace came to be. Sad and pathetic.

^When I see posts from people like you I always wonder.... what city exemplifies your ideals here? What great cities are there that have this supposed pro-car approach that you'd want Edmonton to emulate?

Because, at least from my view, the world's best cities typically have a lot of this "social engineering" in spades compared to Edmonton. Don't get me wrong CoE still often bungles it up, but that doesn't really undermine the ideas of things like bike lanes, walkability, etc.

Edit: also a thought, was the city engaging in "social engineering" when they removed the trolleys and widened the roads for cars? Or were they reacting to demand just like they are now for bikes?
    Last edited by Aaron_Lloyd; 15-05-2019 at 03:09 PM.

My ideal is that the reality is that Edmonton is a northern city where it gets very cold in the winter with plenty of snow that stays and to pretend otherwise is a waste of limited resources. Go back to Post 11621 above that sets out how the so-called vision has failed the majority of Edmontonians who don't think living in a 600 ft2 condo downtown is in any way attractive.

Again people like you like to point out that the "social engineering" doesn't work, but again it does every else in the world (even places colder than here believe it or not!). Again, the city could implement the specifics much better, no doubt. I don't think there's a leg to stand on though blanketly saying they don't work.

Also I'd be interested in reading the posts you're referring to but we're only at post #11282 in this thread, so I'm not sure which post you mean.

My mistake. Post 11261. As for your snobbish "people like me" comment shows your character.

Does it? I'm just saying there are a lot of NIMBYs and car zealots who unfortunately think like you.

Also I was hoping that you had something more substantive to point to, your two paragraph rant doesn't really undermine much a pro-urbanism vision of the city. You're not wrong about downtown being dirty and vagrant infested though, I'm certainly with you on that. Problem is that I imagine you'd be pretty opposed to the solutions. I can't imagine you'd be in favour of them moving some of the social services from the Quarters to Twin Brooks to spread out the burden, I'm also skeptical you might be in favour of spending more tax dollars on cleaning the streets based on the sorts of things I hear from anti-urbanist types and their fear of increased municipal taxes.
    Last edited by Aaron_Lloyd; 15-05-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Pro-urbanism as defined by who? You of course. Car zealot indeed I am as are the overwhelming majority of Edmontonians.

I suggest you take a night off from 'urbanizing' and volunteer at the Spady Centre a few evenings to see what it's really like in the 'Quarters.'

The Quarters. The fancy name that self-styled 'urbanists' are trying to put on one of the most poverty stricken and mental illness plagued areas of the city. It's the community of Boyle-McCauley and what used to be known as skid row. Fancy talk doesn't change its character. Talking a big game and doing nothing substantial is a specialty of the 'urbanists' and the Social Engineers. How much money could have gone to affordable housing that went instead to hardly-utilized bike lanes? Or that is going to be spent on new speed signs from 50 to 40 to 30? Millions.

As for Twin Brooks, I couldn't help but laugh when the NIMBYs there lost their whiny battle to lower speed limits followed by their failure to stop the townhouse development on the surplus school lands. At least they have moved the 30 k sign to the east edge of the new townhomes being built as it is no longer a 'playground.'

Be careful who and what you label.

Good to see everyone is passionate about making this city and downtown better.

Don't want to completely derail the General Retail part though. In terms of Holt's and Manulife, I hope they subdivide that space and open up more retail onto 102nd avenue.

Pre-lrt construction set up isn't very inviting https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.54310...7i13312!8i6656

2 points:

similar to multiple posts in this thread, I find the cleanliness and the safety feeling as major concerns and why our family, while living close to downtown, doesn’t utilize as mush as we like this otherwise great urban area for strolling, dining or shopping.

On the usage of cars: I think thee should be a balance. Whether we like it or not, Edmonton is a sprawling city. So except for small distances, such as if you live and work in or around downtown, cars are very necessary here. Particularly for families. Particularly given our climate.

And this discussion is directly related to the thread. If retailers of the caliber of Holt or Nordstrom are desired to be in downtown, it is only sustainable if downtown can compete for consumers with the other shopping destinations in the city.

'On the usage of cars: I think thee should be a balance. Whether we like it or not, Edmonton is a sprawling city. So except for small distances, such as if you live and work in or around downtown, cars are very necessary here. Particularly for families. Particularly given our climate.'

Concur and akin to any, other, city, in N.A.
    www.decl.org

Tiffin opens on Tuesday, May 21.

Habitat Etc is closing.
    Last edited by GreenSPACE; 16-05-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    www.decl.org

^mildly disappointed about Habitat.... though I'm hardly surprised, they kept some weird opening hours.

Non restaurant street front retail is just dieing. Too bad

Tiffin opens on Tuesday, May 21.
    Finally. Feels like they've had their signage on the windows forever.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Hard to say. In this case the Habitat owner is related somehow to the landlord and had a decent rental agreement.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Hard to say. In this case the Habitat owner is related somehow to the landlord and had a decent rental agreement.
    Wouldn't that mean it's doing really poorly?

What's really left? The way things are going for retail downtown period, there's almost nothing left. Luckily restaurants are filling in spaces.

Whyte has the same issue.

Retail doesn't include services like dentists, salons, etc.

^She could have decided to close, nothing to do with retail on the street. I haven't talked to her to find out, so it's just all speculation at this point.
    www.decl.org

^^Mid nineties to early 2000's I lived downtown.

Since that time, considering the vast civic and private infrastructure investments made, the increased population, not to mention the unrelenting harangue from officials, advocates and cheerleaders of the place Top Dawg's description of downtown on a Sunday afternoon is painfully accurate. It doesn't look to me a whole lot different than it did in 1998 (or whenever the Save-on 109st got built) - maybe from the 15th storey window of a shiny 104st condo tower things look greatly improved but walking around, trying to do errands, searching for entertainment options very little has changed. A clutch of pretentious restaurants opened? Big whoop.
    Some so pretentiously minimalistic and low-key/cryptic with their storefront name/aesthetic that they go out of business before I even realized they ever actually opened.

Page 113 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113