Thread: Capital Modern: Edmonton Architecture & Urban Design

First One is Always Free

Default Capital Modern: Edmonton Architecture & Urban Design

Hello,

Along with DesignEdge, one can check out the Capital Modern: Edmonton Architecture and Urban Design 1940 to 1969 exhibition at the Art Gallery of Alberta from June 8 to August 26, 2007.

It will also have a symposium entitled "Making the Modern" associated with the exhibition. The symposium brings in Kenneth Framptom (who literally wrote the textbook on Modern architecture), John Patkau, Brigitte Shim, Brian MacKay-Lyons, Fred Valentine and Trevor Boddy.

This exhibition is curated by Troy Smith, Shafraaz Kaba, and David Murray. New photography is by James Dow. The exhibition is organized by the Art Gallery of Alberta.

See http://capitalmodern.blogspot.com for more info/registration details.

C2E Long Term Contributor

yah saw the ad card when i was at china sensation...CANT WAIT and good on you!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Partially Addicted to C2E

I have to wait two whole months?

Ouuuuu, already on the edge of my seat!

First One is Always Free

We have also organized a Exhibition & Bus Tour of remaining Modern Buildings around Edmonton as part of Doors Open Alberta/Edmonton & Athabaska District Historic Festival in July!

the tour will begin at 1pm on July 28th at the AGA with the curators walking though the Capital Modern show.

and space is limited for the symposium- so, I'd register before it is sold out...

Quote Originally Posted by shafraaz
    We have also organized a Exhibition & Bus Tour of remaining Modern Buildings around Edmonton as part of Doors Open Alberta/Edmonton & Athabaska District Historic Festival in July!

the tour will begin at 1pm on July 28th at the AGA with the curators walking though the Capital Modern show.

and space is limited for the symposium- so, I'd register before it is sold out...
    great news...thanks for the heads up, i hope im in town
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

Default Silent Auction of James Dow's Achitectural Prints, too!

At the end of the Capital Modern exhibition, James Dow has allowed us to have a silent auction of the prints/new photography he has taken in the show!

The silent auction will take place on the last Saturday (August 25th) at the Art Gallery of Alberta.

All proceeds will go to the AGA's new Centre for Architecture and Design!

let me know if you need more info...

shafraaz

Fantastic news and information, thanks for sharing!

Default Re: Silent Auction of James Dow's Achitectural Prints, too!

Quote Originally Posted by shafraaz
    At the end of the Capital Modern exhibition, James Dow has allowed us to have a silent auction of the prints/new photography he has taken in the show!

The silent auction will take place on the last Saturday (August 25th) at the Art Gallery of Alberta.

All proceeds will go to the AGA's new Centre for Architecture and Design!

let me know if you need more info...

shafraaz

Good to know. See you there. ANyone from your firm coming to Design Edge?
    Thus the task is not so much to see what no-one yet has seen, but to think what nobody yet has thought that which everyone sees. - Schopenhauer

Just got back from Art Gallery. Finally got to see the Modern Chinese art exhibit which was cool, but loved the Capital Modern stuff. Now I just have to figure out where all the buildings actually were/are.....

Loved that they included the furniture, household objects and art from the correct eras.

I like the space as well. Not bad for a temporary home!

im hitting up capital modern this week some time...

as for the space, i love it.
    www.decl.org

Just got back from the AGA and have to report:

1) Surprisingly busy for late Sunday afternoon. This pleased me greatly.

2) Shafraaz et al. did a fabu job of putting together the exhibit. The layout, the wall graphics, the context info ... and of course the pieces on display. Beyond impressive.

3) Was disappointed that a few buildings that I expected to be in the exhibit were not. Had to chuckle at some that were included ... namely the Baker St (sp?) building (it's on the corner of 105 st beside the Arlington) because it's received so much derision on these boards. That structure and several others perfectly illustrated how buildings can take such a bad turn when baffoons add a bunch of crap to their facades, or muck with the surrounding landscape, or just neglect the thing all together.

4) Which leads me to the Tabernacle. Beautifully impressive. Am I the only one here that thinks so? It drives me mental how properties are allowed to become dilapitated then decades later people "hey! it's historical! Treated like shite for the past X years, but it's old so let's keep it!" Why oh why does this happen?

5) Also had to laugh of what I perceived to be evidence of how cheapening out kills the beauty of the original model. Example: Jasper House compared to Mies van der Rohe apartments. The latter will be admired for generations. The former... wouldn't be missed. Yet these sloppy seconds continue being built all over the city today.

6) Loved seeing my darling Provincial Museum profiled. Prettiest in Edmonton, I believe.

7) And finally, as delightful and enlightening Capital Modern was, it was the China Sensation exhibit that knocked me on my ***. Go!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    ...I like the space as well. Not bad for a temporary home!
    It's temporaty for the AGA but it will be permanent gallery space for the U of A. Kudo's have to go to two local contractors - Clark who is doing the "base building" and Ledcor who did the interior of the AGA space.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor
    Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    ...I like the space as well. Not bad for a temporary home!
    It's temporaty for the AGA but it will be permanent gallery space for the U of A. Kudo's have to go to two local contractors - Clark who is doing the "base building" and Ledcor who did the interior of the AGA space.
    I agree...Kudos to Clark & Ledcor. And Stantec, Ardnt and soon to be Kasian, BJAL, and I think Barr Ryder!
    Thus the task is not so much to see what no-one yet has seen, but to think what nobody yet has thought that which everyone sees. - Schopenhauer

Came across the following link not listed above. Great and extensive information!

ESSAY: David Murray / Marianne Fedori

OVERVIEW 
OF 
THE
 PRACTICE
 OF
 ARCHITECTURE 
IN
 EDMONTON

‐ 1969

David Murray / Marianne Fedori
    August, 2007

"In In the 1930s Edmonton architects, like many of their contemporaries across Canada, were starting to embrace the theories and practices of Modernism. They were experimenting with Art Deco and its offspring, the Moderne (Streamline) Style and eventually the International Style. Early commissions were modest in scale: schools, churches and some houses. The acceptance of Modernism and the post‐war building boom led to a maturation of the architectural community and set the foundation for a culture of modernist expression. In this period, many sophisticated Modern buildings were constructed, culminating with the internationally acclaimed Housing Union Building (HUB) at the University of Alberta in the late 1960s.

University of Alberta Architecture Program

Modernism Takes Hold in Edmonton

Edmonton’s citizens and builders were keenly interested in new Modern styles. In 1936, the “The Home of Tomorrow”, now located at 1 St. George’s Crescent, was built through the sponsorship of the Edmonton Bulletin as a way to give homeowners a glimpse of modern construction, form and decoration. Built by local contractor Ernest Litchfield from the award‐winning plans of a competition sponsored by the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, the home was considered the last word in a modern low‐cost Canadian residence and was Edmonton’s first model home. This public display of Modern architecture helped to set the stage for architectural commissions that soon followed.

The following year, Session ’57 proceeded and was viewed as a milestone in Canadian architectural history by the participants. Richard Neutra returned and set the theme of the meeting: to have architects understand ...” Neutra and his wife, Dione, who also participated in the session, were toured through Alberta, and were very late for the gatherings as Neutra insisted on visiting the Hobemma Reserve in sub‐zero temperatures where he took many photographs of housing on the reserve.

Edmonton City Hall

The 1957 Edmonton City Hall was one of Canada’s first modernist city halls. It was designed by Dewar Stevenson Stanley. A 1954 Edmonton Journal article reported that Max Dewar was the partner in charge of the project, although he didn’t live to see its completion. Trevor Boddy, in Modern Architecture in Alberta writes that the City Hall was “a version of the International Style that refers to many periods and elements of buildings in the career of renowned French architect Le Corbusier. One of the first major downtown projects in Edmonton after World War II, the City Hall and its controversial “spaghetti tree” fountain captured the imagination of the bustling city as few have before or since.” City Hall incorporated luxurious materials, a Council Chamber on stilts, various types of window shades and a delightful undulating canopy over the rooftop cafeteria. It made Edmontonians feel they were very progressive. The building was replaced in 1992.

http://capitalmodernedmonton.com/ess...rianne-fedori/

Last edited by KC; 01-08-2017 at 08:37 AM.