Thread: Edmonton Queen

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Thumbs down Edmonton Queen

I visited Winnipeg last week and inquired as whether the 2 paddle wheel boats and one cruise ship they have will sail this summer. Yes I was told. And so I looked further to find they have several choices of cruises. All are 3 hours long for under $20 for adults and $10 for kids.Since I enjoy ships, I thought a cruise on the Edmonton Queen was in order this year. To my surprise, they have only one hour runs at the same price as a 3 hour on Winnipeg's ships.The fares are very high for a dinner cruise for only an hour at just under 60 bucks a head. I can see why this "attraction" does not garner much attention nor interest. My question is the same as I will ask of the Queen's operators. Why only an hour and so expensive?
    Compare them if you wish.
    http://www.paddlewheelcruises.com
    http://msrouge.com
    http://www.edmontonqueen.com/index.php?area_id=1001
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

I know the queen is limited to where it can travel to due to bridges and certain sandbars, so the length of time is explained in that... but as for cost? Another Edmonton Advantage!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yes, and Ghod forbid the city or province put a weir on the river to make it navigable.

Why the high, mighty and righteous editorial board of the Edmonton Urinal would be outraged!

Outraged!
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Long Term Contributor

Time to build that canal in Rossdale.
    As for the Edmonton Queen...it's 1 boat without any competition vs Winnipeg's 3 competing boats, yes?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Canal costly and unnecessary. Improve what we have, don't try to reinvent.

We enjoyed our hour long cruise 2 yrs ago. Ended up on the boat for closer to 2 overall and had a few pops on the upper deck.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Time to build that canal in Rossdale.
    As for the Edmonton Queen...it's 1 boat without any competition vs Winnipeg's 3 competing boats, yes?
    The 3 in the peg are the Queen, Princess and Rouge.

The first 2 are owned by the same operator while the Rouge is separate. in essence 2 operators of 3 vessels.

If the river levels were held to a consistent height, the boat would be able to travel further up or downstream. As for a canal, I don't see the necessity although it would be very unique to say the least.
    Last edited by cnr67; 02-01-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I know the queen is limited to where it can travel to due to bridges and certain sandbars, so the length of time is explained in that... but as for cost? Another Edmonton Advantage!
    Can a larger flow of water from the Brazeau Dam not raise the water level to permit better navigation? Sandbars can be dredged can they not? As for the bridges, why would a ship be commissioned that couldn't navigate under the structures with the area it ply's? The Queen in Winnipeg has had several alterations over the past 4 decades that allow it to pass under all the structures and still charge a paltry $20 bucks a head. The boat is a great idea. Just not planned nor designed properly for this river.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Yes, and Ghod forbid the city or province put a weir on the river to make it navigable.

Why the high, mighty and righteous editorial board of the Edmonton Urinal would be outraged!

Outraged!
    Both Calgary and little Saskatoon have weirs.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Their River area is almost a Lake like atmosphere. On hot days Saskatoonians head to the River too catch some rays.

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post

Outraged!
    Both Calgary and little Saskatoon have weirs.

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Can a larger flow of water from the Brazeau Dam not raise the water level to permit better navigation? Sandbars can be dredged can they not?
    The Brazeau and the Bighorn dams both control some of the flow. Sustained releases would have to be monitored extremely costly and would require monitoring rainfalls throughout the NS basin. But the makeup of the river valleys is not conducive to weirs and dredging. The sand, gravel and silt build up quickly. I have spent over 30 years on the river in the summers and have always needed to relearn the pattern every spring and after major flow events. And I can safely say that the flow patterns can change daily. Dredging may give you a year or 2 but the cost of yearly dredging would not be economical. Also you would probably destroy a great many fish habitats in the process. A weir would silt up quickly as well. Next year head down to one of the boat launches after the high water and look at the silt build up, it can get up to a meter thick.

Would I like to have a constant river level, YES! But the costs would be too great. River boats used to be quite common on our river, there were no dams upstream at the time, but they ran aground quite often. The old Klondike Queen was the last Commercial paddlewheel boat before the EQ. It ran aground at Big Island.

I have been on the Red, South Sask and Bow. The SS and Red are big slow rivers very different from ours, The SS also has sand bar problems.
    Last edited by BalancedOP; 03-01-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Would a hovercraft be too noisy and expensive to operate on the river? I could see running one of those if you wanted a longer trip; you could maybe go all the way to Fort Saskatchewan or Devon on a cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Would a hovercraft be too noisy and expensive to operate on the river? I could see running one of those if you wanted a longer trip; you could maybe go all the way to Fort Saskatchewan or Devon on a cruise.
    That's a cool idea actually providing the nimby's stay quiet.

If a hovercraft is too expensive and/or noisy, I wonder if an amphibious hybrid tour bus/boat would work here, like the Harbour Hopper in Halifax. Imagine motoring through a downtown tour, taking cruise down to Fort Edmonton and/or the Valley Zoo, then coming back down river for a rolling tour of White Ave

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    If a hovercraft is too expensive and/or noisy, I wonder if an amphibious hybrid tour bus/boat would work here, like the Harbour Hopper in Halifax. Imagine motoring through a downtown tour, taking cruise down to Fort Edmonton and/or the Valley Zoo, then coming back down river for a rolling tour of White Ave
    That would take an envisionary. Something lacking in this city. A good idea though.

Addicted to C2E

While these landing craft type amphibious vehicles look like fun , there has been several tragic accidents in the past with this type of tourist craft . I would not want my family on one at all.

I think that my choice for a water attraction in the city would be a modern day version of John Walters current powered cable ferry ( this time passenger only) crossing from some future development at the power plant accross to the Kinsmen centre area. This would have the advantage of being Green , have some historical context and be a unique attraction to the river valley trail system.

It would certainly be cheap to run and would function well in our river.

Quote Originally Posted by Hull534 View Post
    While these landing craft type amphibious vehicles look like fun , there has been several tragic accidents in the past with this type of tourist craft . I would not want my family on one at all.
    The majority of incidents seem to have been with either unregulated or poorly regulated/inspected craft. I would hope that any amphibious tour vehicle used within the city would be carefully inspected and regulated, given we only have one other tourist craft to worry about

Addicted to C2E

The inspection of the Edmonton Queen is under Transport Canada Marine Safety and due to the size and number of passengers is quite strict . Requiring hull and machinery and emergency equipment inspection , crew licensing and inspected performance of emergency drills.

The inspection of small water craft is considerably less rigorous and a motor vehicle inspection does not cut it as far as safety on the water goes.

I think that this type of craft would be poorly regulated in comparison to the "Queen" and maintain high a level of risk.

How about a simple water taxi running between a few spots (including perhaps Fort Edmonton Park?), say $5 per trip (or less)? Wouldn't have to be as fancy as this one, and could be smaller:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=water+...,r:2,s:0,i:128

^I like that idea. But I don't know if there are enough areas at this point beside the river with the critical mass to make it feasible? Maybe it would draw more people in. It would, however, blow away our existing water taxi technology:

http://photos.edmonton.ca/Attraction...4QSK2&lb=1&s=A
    Go down a few dark alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    How about a simple water taxi running between a few spots (including perhaps Fort Edmonton Park?), say $5 per trip (or less)? Wouldn't have to be as fancy as this one, and could be smaller:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=water+...,r:2,s:0,i:128
    http://www.splashdash.ca/riverspirit.htm

It has been as hit for some time in Winnipeg as well.

I like the water taxi idea! How about these stops:
    - Rundle Park
    - Capilano Bridge
    - Dawson Bridge/Riverdale
    - Cloverdale
    - Louise McKinney Park near the Shaw Conference Centre
    - Kinsmen/Rossdale
    - Government House
    - Hawrelak Park
    - Valley Zoo
    - Fort Edmonton Park
    - silver balls at Quesnel Bridge
    - Terwillegar Park
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I like the water taxi idea! How about these stops:
    - Rundle Park
    - Capilano Bridge
    - Dawson Bridge/Riverdale
    - Cloverdale
    - Louise McKinney Park near the Shaw Conference Centre
    - Kinsmen/Rossdale
    - Government House
    - Hawrelak Park
    - Valley Zoo
    - Fort Edmonton Park
    - silver balls at Quesnel Bridge
    - Terwillegar Park
    The challenge here as opposed to the peg is the our river has a very strong current compared to the Red and Assiniboine rivers. Still, we are a river city and the list here is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    ... the makeup of the river valleys is not conducive to weirs and dredging. The sand, gravel and silt build up quickly. I have spent over 30 years on the river in the summers and have always needed to relearn the pattern every spring and after major flow events. And I can safely say that the flow patterns can change daily. Dredging may give you a year or 2 but the cost of yearly dredging would not be economical. Also you would probably destroy a great many fish habitats in the process. A weir would silt up quickly as well. Next year head down to one of the boat launches after the high water and look at the silt build up, it can get up to a meter thick.
    What about only operating a weir for part of the year (maybe July to October), allowing the river to cut a channel naturally instead of having to dredge?

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    Would I like to have a constant river level, YES! But the costs would be too great. River boats used to be quite common on our river, there were no dams upstream at the time, but they ran aground quite often. The old Klondike Queen was the last Commercial paddlewheel boat before the EQ. It ran aground at Big Island.

I have been on the Red, South Sask and Bow. The SS and Red are big slow rivers very different from ours, The SS also has sand bar problems.
    I've always thought of the NSR as "big and slow", at least compared to the Bow in Calgary and most rivers in BC. It suppose it is kind of intermediate - not fast enough to have scoured all of the silt from it's valley millenia ago, but fast enough suspend a lot of silt during high flow periods.

Has the Edmonton Queen cut back their operations?

I could have sworn that they used to sail several times every day.
    But now it's down to just 2-3 sailings on just 4 days a week.

Has the Edmonton Queen cut back their operations?

I could have sworn that they used to sail several times every day.
    But now it's down to just 2-3 sailings on just 4 days a week.

I think that's the same schedule as last year (I seem to remember that Thursday sailings were late June through August only). As you can board an hour before departure time there's not much room for additional sailings.
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

I heard that some douche nozzle vandalized the boat sometime a couple of days ago.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

We went on a cruise on Saturday and didn't notice any, was a great view of the city

Was there Saturday, there was a cracked window but other than that it was fine.

Hope floats: Edmonton Queen owner determined to cruise the river this summer
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ueen-1.4658957

The owner of the Edmonton Queen is confident the vessel will set sail down the North Saskatchewan River this summer after years of remaining moored at Rafter's Landing.

Jay Esterer bought the riverboat two years ago and said Thursday that the riverboat has received regulatory approval to sail. Esterer spent last summer renovating the interior — installing new flooring, fixtures, furniture and a new bar. He overhauled the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.

All the while, he was waiting for a development permit from the city to open the dining area and have a floating restaurant.

In order to sail last year, the 25-year-old vessel needed an inspection by Transport Canada. Esterer said that would have required a costly move to dry ground. CBC News has not yet confirmed the boat has cleared that hurdle.

Esterer is banking on water levels being high enough to travel up the North Saskatchewan and back to dock at Rafter's Landing. Low water levels have prevented the vessel from sailing in the past.

Esterer says he's looking for a captain, a first mate and a riverboat engineer. "The Prairies aren't exactly teeming with
    these professions," he noted in a press release. "But I'm confident we'll be on the water soon."

I hope so, he was so tied up with stupid red city tape, he couldn't use her last year..

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I hope so, he was so tied up with stupid red city tape, he couldn't use her last year..
    City or federal?

So, has he gotten the required inspection? Has he pulled it out of the water or does he think that he shouldn't have to follow the regulations?

In order to sail last year, the 25-year-old vessel needed an inspection by Transport Canada. Esterer said that would have required a costly move to dry ground. CBC News has not yet confirmed the boat has cleared that hurdle.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    City or federal?
    City. He was interviewed last year...

Seems like the Queen was on the move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeJbwvhzFoY

From the Edmonton Queeen website:
    Quote Originally Posted by www.edmontonqueen.ca
    Edmonton’s iconic riverboat is almost ready–we have permits to operate! We are busy staffing and working out our schedule, so stay tuned to this page or sign up to our newsletter to stay in the loop.

Now hiring experienced marine personnel, specifically Master / Captain / Chief Mate (500GT certifications required), and Chief Engineer (SVMO-R certificate) and MED B certified Deckhands. For more information, check out our Edmonton Queen Marine jobs. You can also email us at [email protected]

For anything important we can be reached at [email protected].

We’re not quite ready for general inquiries about bookings but you will see everything announced on the Edmonton Queen Riverboat Bookings and Reservations page.

After renovation, name change, Edmonton Riverboat to sail North Sask. River

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/after-re...iver-1.3975348

For the first time in more than three years, the riverboat formerly known as the Edmonton Queen is set to take to the North Saskatchewan River.

Now dubbed the Edmonton Riverboat, the renovated 25-year-old craft will be open to public river cruises starting next weekend.

The riverboat was purchased by its current owner in 2016 for $553,000.

Since he bought it, owner Jay Esterer has given the riverboat a facelift, with major renovations and upgrades throughout the boat.

This year, with a new name and a new crew, she is ready to sail.

“Finding a crew for a ship in Edmonton is difficult, because there are not a lot of ships in Edmonton,” Esterer said. “[It’s] very easy to get this boat stuck, the boat is a little bit too big for this river.”

A tour of the river, between the Walterdale Bridge and the Dawson Bridge lasts about an hour.

Details on riverboat sailings can be found online.

Great to see and cannot wait to take another cruise.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I have the Walterdale bridge north live cam sorta-streaming on a spare laptop and usually don't notice much, but earlier tonight -something- caught my eye and it was a big something: The Edmonton Queen working its way back downstream under the bridge. I never knew it could go so far upstream in the first place.

Neato!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

and there it is again... paddling upstream to about south of the Royal Glenora and the back downstream

Pretty sad Wikipedia article on it. Doesn’t even mention the original guy that built it.

Edmonton Riverboat - Wikipedia
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_Riverboat

Some history here:

May 4, 1995: Edmonton Queen finally launched | Edmonton Journal

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...nally-launched

Meet the new king of the Edmonton Queen | CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ueen-1.3666999
    Last edited by KC; 15-06-2018 at 09:44 PM.

From about 15 minutes ago:

Sailing starting tomorrow!

Cruise plus a BBQ on:

Wednesday at 5:00 PM, 8:00 PM
    Thursday at 5:00 PM, 8:00 PM
    Friday at 5:00 PM, 8:00 PM
    Saturday at 11:00 AM, 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM, 8:00 PM
    Sunday at 11:00 AM, 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM, 8:00 PM

BBQ Boat Cruise Menu
    • Grilled beef or salmon burgers; (Mac & cheese for kids)
    • Classic Caesar plus salad assortment

Tickets are $39 for guests 12 years and over.
    Kids 6-12 are $24
    Children under 6 years old are free.

If you don't want a BBQ, we are offering cruises on:
    Wednesday at 8:00 PM
    Thursday at 8:00 PM
    Friday at 8:00 PM
    Saturday at 2:00 PM, 8:00 PM
    Sunday at 2:00 PM, 8:00 PM

$25 adults, $15 children, 6 and under free

Canada Day!

We will be celebrating Canada's Birthday with Juno award-winning Nuela Charles and Nature Of on the tranquil waters of the North Saskatchewan River for a sunset cruise. We will anchor down by the Walterdale bridge for the best seat in the city to watch the fireworks!

Boarding is at 8:00pm

Ticket includes a Prime Rib buffet style dinner with delicious sides and fresh salads.

We will be leaving the dock at 9:30, don't be late!

We will also be announcing details for a 5 PM cruise

Tickets can be purchased here.

This is a 18+ event**

Check out our events page for more information. See you soon!