Thread: What was your first concert

Default What was your first concert

My first concert was video games live about 2 years ago, went out with a few coworkers had a lot of fun that night, listening to all our favorite video games music. What about you guys when was your first concert and what made you go

C2E Long Term Contributor

Do Sharon Lois and bram count? Fred pen?
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Well more what you went too in your teens or adult life.

Rush with Max Webster. No need to ask why.

Stompin' Tom before that but I don't like to talk about it ...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Alanis Morrisette with Our Lady Peace as an opener
    August 1997 I believe

Had to answer this one.
    1981 - Loverboy with Bryan Adams as a back up. No one knew who Bryan Adams was.

Smashing Pumpkins
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E SME

Our Lady Peace, Dinwoodie Lounge, 1994ish?

^damn you... I still regret missing that one, turned down tickets in H.S.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

Van Halen
    October 1991
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Alice Cooper, 1989.

Before I moved to Edmonton, there wasn't many bands that came through, but I would say the first concert I went to, that I had a choice of going to was Our Lady Peace, maybe around 1994 I think.

Amanda Marshall I think in '97 I think. I was literally dragged by my highschool buddy who bought an extra ticket so he'd have someone to go with.

1980s - Motley Crue! \m/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

1985ish... Genesis. I was in elementary school at the time!

David Bowie's Glass Spider Tour at Commonwealth back in '87... though I'll admit my 12-year old self was there more for opener Duran Duran.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Well, if I may drop in amongst all you youngsters, my first was The Beatles in 1963 at a dance hall in Dunstable, England. We were the support band.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Phwoar!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Not sure, but I'd guess it was Def Leppard in 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    Alice Cooper, 1989.
    I was at that one too. Don't ask about my mental state.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

First: 1994 Rolling Stones, Commonwealth

Best: 2003 OokFest, The Tea Party, crowd surfing on a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Not sure, but I'd guess it was Def Leppard in 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    Alice Cooper, 1989.
    I was at that one too. Don't ask about my mental state.
    Oops, I was actually at the 1988 Alice Cooper show where Motörhead opened.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Mega concert at the old Edmonton Gardens. Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Fats Domino and his band, Frankie Lyman and the Teenagers, Clyde McPhatter, Paul Anka, Everly Brothers, Sarah Vaughan and several others.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

LOL! $5 admission too, I'd bet.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Heart. 1979ish at the Kinsmen Field House.

2005 All Ages Show at Rum Jungle with "The Game"
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

arcade fire at red's in 05? with wolf parade opening. first canada wide tour for Funeral.
    you missed when time and life shook hands and said goodbye.

Don't think I've ever been to an honest-to-god stadium rock-concert. I was obsessed with going to one in junior high, when it seemed everyone else was, but my mom was pretty much against the idea. Nowadays, you couldn't pay me to attend such an event.

That said, I think my first concert was Jane Siberry, when she played outdoors in the space next to the downtown library. This would have been in the mid to late 80s some time.

Quote Originally Posted by bicycles View Post
    arcade fire at red's in 05? with wolf parade opening. first canada wide tour for Funeral.
    What a great show that was. Finishing it off with an encore in the bowling alley was rough considering I was right up front and had absolutely no chance of getting upstairs to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Don't think I've ever been to an honest-to-god stadium rock-concert. I was obsessed with going to one in junior high, when it seemed everyone else was, but my mom was pretty much against the idea. Nowadays, you couldn't pay me to attend such an event.

That said, I think my first concert was Jane Siberry, when she played outdoors in the space next to the downtown library. This would have been in the mid to late 80s some time.
    I haven't been to a stadium or arena concert in more than a decade I think. It seems everyone I want to see is either playing the various auditoriums or smaller venues around town.

Toronto and Goddo , 1982 , Northlands Coliseum.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Nazareth with the Guess Who opening (minus Cummings & Bachman) at 'The Coliseum' in 1977

C2E Super Addict

Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, Gustav Holst - Prom 55, Royal Albert Hall, Sept 1980.

Motörhead - Ace of Spades tour, Hammersmith Odeon, Nov 1980.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

The Ventures 1962... Winnipeg Arena
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Heart in Aug 1987 on the Bad Animals tour was my first. Then Inxs on the Kick tour in May 1988. I haven't been to a concert since that I've paid for... but I'm not counting all the small venue shows I saw in the 90s like Limblifter, Furnaceface (twice), Minstrels On Speed... stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post

I haven't been to a stadium or arena concert in more than a decade I think. It seems everyone I want to see is either playing the various auditoriums or smaller venues around town.
    The aforementioned Jane Siberry is now giving shows in peoples' living rooms.

http://www.janesiberry.com/salons

First Concert was something at the Jub symphony. But first Pop Rock Funk was Stevie Wonder at Northlands. The first concert in the new arena. Or Queen at the Kinsmen Field house

Led Zepplin, fronted by local band Troika at the Kinsmen Field House.

Poster at Route 99 diner says it was $2.00

True. Also true is that a toonie is about all that the acoustics at the field house are worth.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Led Zepplin
    \m/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The aforementioned Jane Siberry is now giving shows in peoples' living rooms.
    Yep, I've heard this too. She also released her entire catalog for free on her website in mp3 and lossless which to me is an amazing and noble thing in this day & age. I'm also a big fan of hers, her 1980's releases were a big influence in the women's Canadian music scene that eventually took the entire world by storm in the mid - late 90s. For all of you not familiar with Siberry just think of a quirky Sarah McLachlan with IMO a better voice and overall talent. So underrated it's a shame but I know Siberry doesn't mind that as she's a bit of a recluse. I also think she has one of the best voices in the entire music industry and about once a month I throw The Walking on the turntable and give it a spin. Sometimes twice. Just love it and would die if she were to perform in my livingroom. I should send her an email

Anyway, a little off topic but just had to say it.

Bachman-Turner Overdrive with opening acts Charlie Gearheart & Goose Creek Symphony followed by Trooper at the Coliseum in 1976.

First live show
    Joey Did and the Necrophiliacs 1980

First Concert
    The Police and XTC at the Coliseum 1980

Loudest Concert in one weekend 1981, Seattle
    DOA, Ramones and Dead Kennedys

Most awesome
    The Clash, Combat Rock Tour, 1982

Best place to see
    Tom Waits, at Massey Hall 1987
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 30-01-2013 at 09:15 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

First ever concert (hey I was real young) KISS 1976 Cheap Trick was backing band.

Best Concerts ever:

1)David Bowie Serious Moonlight Tour 1983 with Peter Gabriel and The Tubes as backing bands. Bowie had a great band on that tour, a great album, Peter Gabriel was unbelievable. I went to Glass Spider as well but this was a far better show.

2)Pink Floyd. Nuff said.

3)Fleetwood Mac Tusk tour.

4) I've seen Queen, Max Webster, Rush at Kinsmen field house. Faint memories, mostly of being impaired.

5)Black Sabbath Mob rules tour. Legendary. Simply loudest concert I ever went to. Ears were ringing all night and next day.

6)Smashing Pumpkins- Melancholy tour. Corgan can shred.

7)Summerside concert (Ambleside beach/park, Vancouver) Sarah Mclachlan, Neil Young, Sheryl Crow. Great beach, great day, unforgettable. Seen Sarah countless times. Neil as well.

8 ) Pretenders/Iggy Pop (Both on top of their game) 1987

9) Rush Permanent Waves tour. Wanted to see Farewell to Kings tour but this was good. Had 6th row seats. I've seen Rush several times.

10Yes Under rated. Got to see them film/record 9012live. Trevor Rabin possible best guitarist I've seen live. 2 concerts for price of one. Great time.

11)St Vincent/Roberta Flack Calgary Folk Fest. I love St Vincent. Great summer day.

12) Dead Can Dance. Fantastic.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    First live show

First Concert

Most awesome

Best place to see
    Great list. How on Earth did I miss the Police with XTC? sigh

Where did you see The Clash?

That Seattle concert must've been unforgettable. What a lineup!
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Guess Who , Edmonton Coliseum, July 1975. Wet Willie was the opening act.

The Guess Who broke up 3 months later. This was the line-up with Domenic Troiano on lead guitar. Lotta stuff in 5/4 time...

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    First live show

First Concert

Most awesome

Best place to see
    Great list. How on Earth did I miss the Police with XTC? sigh You have to buy tickets

Where did you see The Clash? Kinsmen field house

That Seattle concert must've been unforgettable. What a lineup!
    Forgot to list The Jam, Vancouver, their last gig

Buster Poindexter and his Banshees of Blue, Toronto 1988? Highly entertaining, over the top performance

Buster Poindexter & Bill Murray. It gives you some idea what the show was like

Most regrettable missed show: Passed a Toronto nightclub in the late 80's on a Saturday afternoon, there was a line up that I passed, couldn't find parking to check what was happening. Got home to find out on the news that David Bowie was announcing his tour and CD release, played 10 songs on his acoustic guitar in front of 100 people

Used to see a lot of local shows.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 31-01-2013 at 07:02 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    First ever concert (hey I was real young) KISS 1976 Cheap Trick was backing band.

Best Concerts ever:

1)David Bowie Serious Moonlight Tour 1983 with Peter Gabriel and The Tubes as backing bands. Bowie had a great band on that tour, a great album, Peter Gabriel was unbelievable. I went to Glass Spider as well but this was a far better show.

2)Pink Floyd. Nuff said.

3)Fleetwood Mac Tusk tour.

4) I've seen Queen, Max Webster, Rush at Kinsmen field house. Faint memories, mostly of being impaired.

5)Black Sabbath Mob rules tour. Legendary. Simply loudest concert I ever went to. Ears were ringing all night and next day.

6)Smashing Pumpkins- Melancholy tour. Corgan can shred.

7)Summerside concert (Ambleside beach/park, Vancouver) Sarah Mclachlan, Neil Young, Sheryl Crow. Great beach, great day, unforgettable. Seen Sarah countless times. Neil as well.

8 ) Pretenders/Iggy Pop (Both on top of their game) 1987

9) Rush Permanent Waves tour. Wanted to see Farewell to Kings tour but this was good. Had 6th row seats. I've seen Rush several times.

10Yes Under rated. Got to see them film/record 9012live. Trevor Rabin possible best guitarist I've seen live. 2 concerts for price of one. Great time.

11)St Vincent/Roberta Flack Calgary Folk Fest. I love St Vincent. Great summer day.

12) Dead Can Dance. Fantastic.
    I am jealous of you because you went to the Black Sabbath Mob Rules concert. I've always been a faithful fan of Ronnie James Dio lineup.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

First One is Always Free

Moby @ Edmonton; October 2009.
    "Wait for me"
    I will never forget it!

C2E Posting Power

The CULT w/GNR opening up at the Shaw -1987 I think

Most obscure with hardly anyone in attendance - Lenny Kravitz - Dinwoodie - Let Love Rule tour - 1989 maybe

Hmmm, best concerts ever. In no particular order:

• Fugazi - Metropolis, Montréal, 1993
    • Me, Mom and Morgantaler - Metropolis, Montréal, 1994 - Farewell Concert
    • Multiple Iron Maiden shows in the 80s
    • Dropkick Murphys - 2011
    • U2 with the Pixies - Montréal Forum, 1992
    • Radiohead - Dinwoodie Lounge, 1996
    • Shooglenifty - Sidetrack Café, late 90s
    • 24 years of Folk Fests.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I am jealous of you because you went to the Black Sabbath Mob Rules concert. I've always been a faithful fan of Ronnie James Dio lineup.
    Great show.

To me as well Dio was the best vocalist for Sabbath. They played much of Heaven and Hell and Mob rules.

I had tickets to "Born Again" in 83 as well (with Ian Gillan as vocalist) but show was cancelled. Ticket sales were poor for that tour here as that album didn't do well on this continent. Strangely, for younger people, thats the album they love. For Oldtime Sabbath Purists it wasn't really sounding like a Sabbath Album.

Anyway, heres a great DVD of the band with Ronnie James Dio done under the name of "Heaven and Hell" (copyright reasons) its 2007, but well recorded very good DVD and Bluray. I have the Bluray and it gets a regular blast.

http://heavenandhelllive.com/?cat=6
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-01-2013 at 07:28 PM.

How could I forget

Best show I ever went to.

REM, Live outdoor concert, Wiesbaden, Germany, 2003
    I can see me twice in the DVD

The first...
    Roger Whittaker

ZZ Top in the Kinsmen, with Chilliwack opening up.

Chilliwack just changed their name (I think they were the Collectors?), and they had a regional hit, called "Groundhog". I know the drummer, and he said it was only in Alberta that people asked for that song, and it was puzzling to them.

Seeing ZZ Top in the 70's was the best. That's when they were at their peak, IMHO. Still playing. Still sound like the 70's.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

ZZ Top was my 2nd ever concert - this was about the time when they released Eliminator and were going through their MTV Star phase.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 07-02-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Deep Purple... word.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    ZZ Top in the Kinsmen, with Chilliwack opening up.

Chilliwack just changed their name (I think they were the Collectors?), and they had a regional hit, called "Groundhog". I know the drummer, and he said it was only in Alberta that people asked for that song, and it was puzzling to them.

Seeing ZZ Top in the 70's was the best. That's when they were at their peak, IMHO. Still playing. Still sound like the 70's.
    I think the Collectors big hit was Lidia Purple. Bill Henderson was not the lead singer then,although he should have been.

My first Concert:Alice Cooper Vancouver Agridome 1971
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

First concert circa 1971 or 72: Rory Gallagher, Fleetwood Mac, and Deep Purple at the Edmonton Gardens. Tickets were under $10.

Strangest concert 1973 or 74: Kiss at the cafeteria at Lister Hall on the U of A campus. Free.

^Their first road tour stop outside of New York. I used to work in the cafeteria. Lots of room but not a concert venue. Gene Simmons talked about the weird crowd that showed up. I tried finding anything in the Gateway for KISS or Gene Simmons, around Feb. 5th, 1974, but there was absolutely no mention.

My first concert was when Northlands featured some big name stars and groups in the then newish Coliseum during Klondike Days. I want to say the Eagles but I can't remember and, anyways, I went by myself (I was either 15 or 16) and only stayed for the warmup band, whom I've also totally forgotten.

<<Had to answer this one.
    1981 - Loverboy with Bryan Adams as a back up. No one knew who Bryan Adams was.>>

I was at that one too. Wasn't impressed with the warm-up act -- predicted he wouldn't amount to anything. LOL

My first concert was in about 1978 when I was 11 or 12 -- Supertramp "Crime of the Century" -- courtesy of a 14-year-old friend of the family. I had no clue who they were but I guess I liked them as I went to see "Breakfast in America" a few years later.

The first concert I bought my own tickets for was Bill Joel "Glass Houses" in maybe 1981? -- stood in line for 5 hours at the Woodward's Westmount Ticketmaster location -- tickets were $15.

The Ventures 1960-Winnipeg Arena
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.