Thread: Openly gay hip hop artists?

Default Openly gay hip hop artists?

Good for him. Now Hip Hop just needs to break down that barrier and have an open gay rapper.

{Admin edit - moved these posts from http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=32637 }
    Last edited by Admin; 08-03-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Thread move
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Hip Hop just needs to break down that barrier and have an open gay rapper
    And would anyone care? Or is it important to the HipHop genre?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Hip Hop has opened up recently, not to a gay rapper but to a pretty prominent gay rights song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVBg7_08n0

Sure he's white, but this does kind of demonstrate that people would be open to a gay rapper or a gay hockey player for that matter.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Good for him. Now Hip Hop just needs to break down that barrier and have an open gay rapper
    Frank Ocean isn't a rapper, but he's definitely appeared on rap albums and could definitely be considered hip hop.

this is what I'm getting at. Does Hiphop have this 'barrier'? I didn't think it did, but...
    Last edited by bpeters; 07-03-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    this is what I'm getting at. Does Hiphop have this 'barrier'? I didn't think it did, but...
    Definatley does. Hip Hop is notorious for being homophobic.

Forgot about Frank Ocean. He is R&B but definatley a groundbreaker in the Urban community
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

C2E SME

I thought it was fairly well known, although never admitted to, that 50 Cent was gay? No question though that the rap/hip-hop community is if anything outright hostile to gays.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I thought it was fairly well known, although never admitted to, that 50 Cent was gay? No question though that the rap/hip-hop community is if anything outright hostile to gays.
    Yep, I assumed that was pretty common knowledge too?

I've never heard that 50 Cent was gay...?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Yeah me neither...
    Go down a few dark alleys.

C2E SME

I don't even know where I first heard it, but it's been pretty pervasive. So pervasive that even GTA IV (or one of the DLC's/expansions) had a mission that joked about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    Definatley does. Hip Hop is notorious for being homophobic.

Forgot about Frank Ocean. He is R&B but definatley a groundbreaker in the Urban community
    It just seems hiphop as a unique underground urban movement has been swallowed by gangsta rap that is prevalent today. And this seems alot of 'image before substance'. this gangsta wanna be stuff that is appealing to a certain demo abet getting a lot of play and press. Seems to be a lot of peacock feather, puffy chest display. Hmmm posturing perhaps...

C2E Long Term Contributor

You can liken this to metal. It's long had a tough macho mentality c/w its share of homophobes (e.g. Kerry King from Slayer) and yet Judas Priest's lead singer came out about 15 years ago.

So yes, it wouldn't surprise anyone if some gangsta rap stars are closeted.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Their has been rumors in Hip Hop that many stars are Gay. None have admitted to it. That includes 50 Cent, Dr Dre hell even Eminem.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    There are a lot of stories that Drake is gay, although might just be jealousy. A friend of mine bumped into him in a strip club in US recently, he can often be found with strippers, how that goes with the gay thing I don't know, lol.

and this relates to/important to Edmonton how???
    mandel is a cry baby

I didnt move this into its own thread lol. Ask the Admin dupa
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim