Thread: Who will be running for Council in Ward 11?

Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Who will be running for Council in Ward 11?

With Kerry running for Mayor, I wonder who is going to jump at this Ward. I hope we aren't going to get 10+ people fighting for the seat. All that does is dilute the vote.

Will Chinwe run again?

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Generally when a seat becomes open you do see a whole bunch of people enter the race. However, most of them can easily be discounted because they rarely get over 100 votes.

Eve

Last edited by GreenSPACE; 29-05-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ Dave Colburn is running in Ward 7, not 11
    Parkdale

^sorry my apologies.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Mike Nickel
    Based on past experience, I would hope that Mike Nickel isn't running. He is sort of cut from the same cloth as Kerry and would be a counter-productive choice, imo. I know Mike was helping Kerry in the last elections but not sure if he is this time.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    Generally when a seat becomes open you do see a whole bunch of people enter the race. However, most of them can easily be discounted because they rarely get over 100 votes.

Eve

Thanks for the memories Eve.

Over the years Top_Dawg has met a handful of these so called candidates.

They mention that they ran for city council and proceed to lecture Top_Dawg on how well they understand the process and how well versed they are on the issues.

So Top_Dawg looks up how well they did.

And it looks like their own family couldn't even bring themselves to vote for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Eve

Thanks for the memories Eve.

Over the years Top_Dawg has met a handful of these so called candidates.

They mention that they ran for city council and proceed to lecture Top_Dawg on how well they understand the process and how well versed they are on the issues.

So Top_Dawg looks up how well they did.

And it looks like their own family couldn't even bring themselves to vote for them.
    Candidates generally fall into 3 basic categories.

1) Those who have a good understanding of what is required
    2) Those who think they have a good understanding
    3) Those who are real interesting "fringe" candidates.

Those that have a well organized Team behind them generally fall into the first category but not always. If you have a good Team behind you, your chances of being elected (or re-elected) is greatly increased, regardless of which category you fall into.

There are many that I have met in the past that appeared to have been good candidates however were lacking in the Team area. They ended up loosing because of that.

Just my 2 cents worth.

^Successful candidates tend to fall into a single category.

The ingredients for political success for Council non-incumbents can be summarized by the acronym MOM (money, organization, message), and probably in that order as well. As Don Iveson proved in 2007, those ingredients can even overcome NR (name recognition).

My 3 cents worth.

www.decl.org

Are you saying that Harvey is planning on running in Ward 11?

Shane, are you going to run again?
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

Isn't that the $69 question. I am trying to decide if it makes sense this time around.

Yeah, Top_Dawg sees that you didn't get slaughtered.

But you didn't do all that great either.

Tough call.

Yeah, Top_Dawg sees that you didn't get slaughtered.

But you didn't do all that great either.

Tough call.

You are correct, Top_Dawg. I didn't do that great. Big ideas, great potential, but lacking the money required to get people's attention. I was a little naive but such is life.

When I do run again, I will take the lessons learned and work a little smarter. It takes about $25K at a minimum to run a successful campaign. Most are about $40K+. Amarjeet Sohi was just over $100K last election.

Unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees (wouldn't that be nice) or else I would be a tree farmer. When you are challenging for a Council seat, donations are hard to come by. Once you are on Council, everyone is willing to donate to your election fund.

I am still unsure if this election is the time to run or not. In the mean time, I will continue to watch and comment as constructively as possible.

With 1 confirmed Councillor not seeking re-election (Jane Batty), 1 confirmed to be running for Mayor (Kerry Diotte) and 2 more considering to run for Mayor (Karen Leibovici and Don Iveson), 2013 is turning out to be a very exciting election year.

I wonder if more Edmontonians will actually get out and vote?

I think the fact that there is no incumbent Mayor is a more critical factor in election turnout. And we have that too. In my own ward, that's basically my reason for doing my pre-vote homework. The incumbent councilor for my ward is fine with me and I'll just check off his name while voting for the Mayor.

Eve

I think the fact that there is no incumbent Mayor is a more critical factor in election turnout. And we have that too. In my own ward, that's basically my reason for doing my pre-vote homework. The incumbent councilor for my ward is fine with me and I'll just check off his name while voting for the Mayor.
    Eve
    Hi Eve,
    I am guessing that you don't live in Ward 11 as there is no incumbent there. I also believe that choosing a Councillor is just as important as choosing a Mayor. While the Mayor may set the tone for Council, we have a better chance in discussing issues with our local Councillor than we would with the Mayor.

I believe that we need to pay attention to both levels of candidates. I do applaud you for doing some pre-vote homework, though. Many don't.

I'm not disputing your viewpoint and I agree. But from the point of view of both the media and the general public, it often seems like the Mayoral race is the only one in town. In past elections, I had to dig deep to find any information about the councilor candidates (aside from lists of names). The Mayoral race is on the front page every day.

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Bergdahl View Post
    Yes, and he has a strong team together with lots of backing from what I hear.
    www.decl.org

Yes, and he has a strong team together with lots of backing from what I hear.
    Then Harvey better get a website going. This twitter page didn't capture my attention.

^All in due time.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Hmmmm, I'm curious who will be running in this ward. If I weren't so busy with every other thing I've got going I wouldn't mind running.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Mike Nickel
    Based on past experience, I would hope that Mike Nickel isn't running. He is sort of cut from the same cloth as Kerry and would be a counter-productive choice, imo. I know Mike was helping Kerry in the last elections but not sure if he is this time.
    I have it on good authority that Nickel will indeed run in 11.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Mike Nickel made it official: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...144/story.html

Former councillor Mike Nickel to seek council seat in Ward 11

BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTON JOURNAL JUNE 12, 2013

EDMONTON - Former city councillor Mike Nickel will try for a comeback as a candidate for Ward 11, Nickel announced Wednesday.

The seat will be vacant because current councillor Kerry Diotte is seeking the mayor’s chair.

Nickel was elected to city council in 2004. He was defeated by Don Iveson in 2007 after one term as councillor for the former Ward 5 in southwest Edmonton
    Don't feed the trolls!

It is going to be interesting how many people come out of the wood work between now and nomination day to run in this Ward. Could get really entertaining.

I only hope that one of them will be a real keeper but experience tells me it will be the one with the most money. People generally go for flash, not substance.

Uh-oh spaghettios !

Better dig those dusty ol' lawn signs out of the garage Shane.

Dem south enders iz gonna need a lifeline.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Too bad Nickel isn't running for Mayor. If he did so then he and Diotte would split the Archie Bunker vote down the middle.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Uh-oh spaghettios !

Better dig those dusty ol' lawn signs out of the garage Shane.

Dem south enders iz gonna need a lifeline.
    LOL ... You're funny, TD. Dem south enders iz gonna have to figure things out themselves. Dey iz smert nuf.

I will sit on the sidelines and poke and prod but, at this time, I have no plans to become part of the adventure this term. I have far more important things to focus on, such as family.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Too bad Nickel isn't running for Mayor. If he did so then he and Diotte would split the Archie Bunker vote down the middle.
    Mike was helping Kerry in the last election. It makes sense that Kerry would try his hand higher up the food chain, leaving his seat open for Mike. Would you say that is professional courtesy?

Actually, I was just reading a couple of articles and Nickel is saying he's going to take a more balanced approach instead of just being a fiscal hawk (though he'll do that).
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Careful SDM, someone might take exception to you writing the same thing here and on SSP....

Don't feed the trolls!

http://daveberta.ca/2013/06/karen-leibovici-edmonton/

Citizenship judge Sonia Bitar and former Edmonton City Councillor Mike Nickel announced their candidacies in southeast Edmonton’s Ward 11.

C2E SME

So a tiny recap. So far we have running for Ward 11 the following?
    Harvey Panesar
    Mike Nickel
    Sonia Bitar
    Is that all confirmed right now?

Candidates running so far:

Sonia Bitar

Mujahid Chak

Roberto Maglalang

Mike Nickel

Harvey Panesar

Brent Schaffrick
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Candidates running so far:

Sonia Bitar

Mujahid Chak

Roberto Maglalang

Mike Nickel

Harvey Panesar

Brent Schaffrick
    Might be interesting. Then again, might not. I will wait for the Tow Hall meetings to see.

C2E SME

All the websites are interesting but nothing is making anyone stand out. I hope to hear from these candidates soon and really see what they are about.

Sounds like Mike Nickel has changed his tune
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...023/story.html

Nickel, a businessman, was a city councillor from 2004-07. He had a penchant for fiscal conservatism and a record of never seeing a city budget he could support.

He lost to Coun. Don Iveson in the 2007 election, then got back into the Nickel family business in stone countertops and tile. He traveled the world on business, going to India and China. There he saw both skies of grey smog and rivers of garbage, an example of how not to do things, but also massive dynamic cities building rapidly. Nickel realized his old austerity was yesterday’s worldview, and that if Edmonton was going to compete, it needed a new focus.

“I have a much different perspective than I did in 2004 to ’07. We’ve got such a great city and we’ve got such great potential here compared to what I see overseas. I think we’ve got to get our act together a lot faster.

“We don’t have time. We’ve got to get moving. … Because the world is moving. And it’s moving very fast.”

Money is tight, with the city near the top of its borrowing limit, Nickel says, but it’s not time to get fearful and do nothing. “Austerity isn’t the word. Now it’s about opportunity. Now we have to start talking about what brings us value to the corporation.”

Mike Nickel wins. Hopefully he's true on his word that he's changed his ways for the better.

^I feel like he's gonna be a different version of Kerry Diotte. We'll see.

Does Mike Nickel have a second chance? or is it true he's running for mayor to get back at Iveson for kicking him out of his seat?