Thread: Fence Builder

Default Fence Builder

Hi.

I couldn't find any existing threads on some fence builders, so wonder if some can recommend some.

I know right now they are VERY busy, but hoping to get some quotes now then make a decision and book for next spring.

One I did call, abruptly just said he's too busy this year and pretty much hung up (nice customer service), didn't even let me get in word wise that I was looking for building next year.

Others that I have contacted are:
    Aspen
    Paragon
    Wildrose
    CO BE
    Fencetech
    Supreme Fence and Landscape

So far have only 1 getting back to me and will come out.

Can others recommend others or if they have used any of the ones I mentioned above, how was it?

Thx
    Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

I'd rather C2E than work!

If you're looking to build next spring, I'd suggest going to the upcoming Home & Garden show and talking to a few builders. If you bring some measurements they might be able to do a quote for you on the spot. Might also result in a discount just because you're talking to them at a trade show.

Just a thought.

Try this guy. He built my fence and deck and has done work for neighbors. He's out of Morinville but does work in Edmonton.

Den's Contracting: Cell (780) 916-4251
    Ph: (780) 939-3565
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I'd bet 95% of people who specialize in fence building won't be thinking about next season anytime soon. I doubt anyone would give you a quote now for next year's project.

Just start contacting people in February.

A person does not know until they try. If it is not a very big fence it's a couple of days work for a contractor. Dig fence posts, put fence posts in, pour concrete. Wait over night until concrete sets. Next day, build panels, place panels. If a contractor builds a lot of fences they can put those fences up in no time flat.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Makes you wonder why people just don't do it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Makes you wonder why people just don't do it themselves.
    I have helped my dad do his and if you do take the time (and have the time), yes, most can do it.
    But after doing it once, I'd rather just have it professionally done and do the staining myself. After working all day and sometimes on weekends, the last thing I want to do do come home and do more work haha.

I used Wildrose for my fence and they did an excellent job. Really high quality workmanship. Not the cheapest but a neighbour used someone cheaper and his fence doesn't look nearly as good and he is having issues already.

I used Lechuza for my new deck. This is a small one-man operation but he too did a great job.

I would recommend either of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Try this guy. He built my fence and deck and has done work for neighbors. He's out of Morinville but does work in Edmonton.

He did our fence and ones for others at work, no issues nor complaints with reasonable prices too. Some quotes we had were 2 to 3 times higher for the same material, either they were very busy or gouging. I wish more contractors would be frank say 'I'm too busy right now' or 'This job has too many problems, I won't give you a quote'.

Now if you looking for that all Cedar fence with 8 x 4 posts to accent a manicured garden then I would go with the reputable - very expensive guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wilson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post

He did our fence and ones for others at work, no issues nor complaints with reasonable prices too. Some quotes we had were 2 to 3 times higher for the same material, either they were very busy or gouging. I wish more contractors would be frank say 'I'm too busy right now' or 'This job has too many problems, I won't give you a quote'.

Now if you looking for that all Cedar fence with 8 x 4 posts to accent a manicured garden then I would go with the reputable - very expensive guys.
    Yep, I agree.
    I have more respect for a business that would just call back and say "sorry, I'm unable to do your job or provide a quote at this time", then no call backs or be unprofessional.
    I called a few companies to do a paint job. One got back and came out in a few days to give advice and quotes. While another one just said to take some pics and send it. Guess which one I hired?

Any ways, I will probably go with Cedar fence, I know it'a bit more than pressure treated, but won't warp or crack as fast if taken care of. I did look at vinyl but decided against it since want to stick to a budget and have some landscaping to do too.

Appreciate all the feedback

Any recent experiences and/recommendations on builders?

When we had one side done a few years back 3 or 4 guys didn’t seem like they knew a lot about fencing. The guy for the company we selected however knew his stuff. Unfortunately the guys building it didn’t but it was good enough.

Now, 6-7 years later, I don’t think I’d hire them again as the shortcomings I see in ours are also in fences in their website’s portfolio. For instance I’m going to have to fix a number of things myself as the gate fell off from PT corrosion of the standard issue gate hinge screws, some boards are really badly warped due to using wet PT wood, there is no cap board and there isn’t an intermediate rail to keep the vertical boards straight and evenly spaced. They also drilled post holes through my side driveway as if I wanted to fence it off despite the plan for two gates to close together across it. Just a communications screwup between the guys building and the concrete driller paid by the hole I suppose. Was an easy fix by myself and the fencing dudes to cement the cores back in the holes.

The owner of the company realized things had gone wrong with the new hires and didn’t even invoice us for the last 1/2 of the cost even after I called them twice to tell them that there was the final payment due.
    Last edited by KC; 16-06-2019 at 09:30 AM.

ive worked with sterling from https://fenceedmonton.ca on a few projects.