Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637
Results 3,601 to 3,661 of 3661

Thread: Walterdale Bridge Replacement | U/C

The bridge already looks dirty as is and it doesnt help that the pigdons have now taken up their spots on the cross beams

Oh wonderful...

If they had round or angled tops on the crossbeams, it would have reduced the pigeon issue.

Just need to hire some feral cats with suction cup grips...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 13-05-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

They will eventually add spikes on the crossbeams so birds can't land.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

How about creating a falcon nesting box on it. I'm only partly facetious.

I like pigeons. They're smart and entertaining. But they create a lot of damage to structures. And being cliff dwellers (I had to do research on this when I lived in a couple of highrises), the Walterdale would be ideal habitat for them. I'm not sure that the pigeon spikes would be very aesthetic though. I'm hearing all these people complaining about the welds, they'd complain about the spikes too.

They'd just complain to hear themselves complaining...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Long Term Contributor

Wow y'all.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Still wondering about the lighting elements of the bridge. Haven't seen any variation in colors other than in testing late last year. Also still wondering why the white lights are shut off at midnight...I'd expect it to be on through the night.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

The lights should be on till the sun comes up.

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Its so nice now that i dont have to basicly stop at eather end of the bridge to let someone pass (i know not many others do that but their just ********)

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Is that a suggestion or are you saying that they are?

Quote Originally Posted by millwoods View Post
    i watch the live cam they turn off at around 11pm/ 12 am range and during the winter they turned back on at 5/6 am till daylight but i havent seen them on all night

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Suggestion.

C2E SME

So I wonder when they will start cleaning up and clearing out the area south of the bridge. Yes the bridge is open but it would be nice to see all of the work done soon.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

They've been doing it daily for months, at both ends.

C2E SME

I just hope though that they complete all that work by summer.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

They probably ordered the grass for landscaping from Korea so it may be while yet.

As always, you can get the bird's-eye view on what's happening on both sides of the river from the long-running webcam at
    http://earthcam.net/projects/islengi...slengineering/

Much better than the limited view of a drive-by, and you can go back in time to see what's been changed.

They are already starting to clean up im not sure what they will be doing with the massive pile of dirt still on site though.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    They probably ordered the grass for landscaping from Korea so it may be while yet.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

They don't seem to be making any effort to remove the south footing for the old bridge. Anyone know why that appears to be staying?

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Is it just me or have the LED lights been shut off for a few nights on the bridge? What's going on? They tested alternate colors back at the end of last year and those were never to be seen again and now the default white lights are off...also awaiting the removal of scaffold decking on both ends.

Work in progress. This is still an active construction site. The bridge may be open to traffic, but there's still lots of work to be done and finishing touches to still be applied.

They tested alternate colors back at the end of last year and those were never to be seen again and now the default white lights are off...
    Since the High Level Bridge already has lots of colour/variety with its lights, I actually like clean look of white lights on a white bridge. I do hope the default are back soon.

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Any word of why the arch lights have been shut off for the last few weeks?

A few more from last night:

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

There have been lights along and under the multi-use walkway installed so maybe that's why the arch lights have been off.

Drove through for probably the 20th time over the last number of weeks and the Arch lights seem to never be on. I'm starting to worry that something's gone wrong. With this project who knows...

Itís light till eleven right now, why bother

I could certainly see that type of logic with the City of Edmonton. Man I hope not...

Is the Walterdale lit up tonight?

The arch is currently lit.

Here's a photo update from yesterday illustrating the state of the cleanup and landscaping around the bridge.

The south abutment of the old bridge is still there and fenced off with no signs of removal. What's the plan?

Landscaping around the southwest corner of the new bridge is progressing with a new trail and sod there. They're still working on the bank down to the river with a trail parallel to the river under the bridge.

Landscaping on the northwest corner of the new bridge is more advanced. Stairs and trail not yet open.

The area around the north abutment of the old bridge is also fenced off and overgrown. Again, not sure of the plan here.

Landscaping on the northeast corner of the new bridge is also progressing. It will be nice if anything is ever done about the Rossdale power plant.

Landscaping on the southeast corner of the new bridge. South end is generally behind the north end.

Trail under the south end of the new bridge.

I must say it's looking nice overall. It will certainly be great once all this landscaping is done. Hopefully sometime this year? I suppose that depends on the plan for the old abutments.

Great update! Thanks OffWhyte.

Thanks as well for the updates. Bike trails in this city seem not to get updated much so hard to know what the status has been. I had assumed that the trail on north bank at least would be open by now. Was going to check it out. Anybody aware of the timeline for completion of these trails? The Northside trail has been a detour now for so many years.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I have been walking across this probably at least once a week since it opened. Progress on the landscaping, trails, etc. has been glacial.

C2E SME

Yes, they are taking way too long, and it's very likely they'll still have significant work left by the time the construction season wraps up this fall and things will drag in to 2019. Just a total charlie foxtrot by the JV.

It seems like forever since one could cycle the trail from east through to River Valley road without a monumental detour.

Such a tragedy. Decades ago the city had this vision of connecting ribbons of pathways and we've been hammering it to shreds since. Now virtually no traffic found anywhere between LMP and Walterdale. This whole area at one point humming with traffic.

I think its been 6-7 years of closure now for the trail @ Walterdale.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

It's not like they haven't been doing anything... and it looks like all the earthworks for the south end are done and pathway prep has started this morning. Plus most of the yard has been cleaned out. The north side required less work because it's smaller and it looks ready for trail paving and landscaping. I can't see what's going on in the northwest corner but when I've driven and can gawk there's stuff going on.

Mostly I use the webcam: https://www.earthcam.net/projects/is...ring/?cam=cam1

C2E Continued Contributor

They were paving a trail on the SE side earlier today. Looks not far from opening but who knows
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Why is everyone so concerned about the lights always being lit up? It's a bridge. Just be happy it's finally done. The lights are just an extra nicety. Maybe they restrict how much they're turned on to reduce cost, which means they have less to clawback from the people, which is a bonus in my books. I don't see a need for it to be lit up past 10PM on weekdays when most people are getting ready to hit the sack...

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Why is everyone so concerned about the lights always being lit up? It's a bridge. Just be happy it's finally done. The lights are just an extra nicety. Maybe they restrict how much they're turned on to reduce cost, which means they have less to clawback from the people, which is a bonus in my books. I don't see a need for it to be lit up past 10PM on weekdays when most people are getting ready to hit the sack...
    We havent talked about the lights for over a month now.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    This isn't exactly a busy forum. Many threads span several years between posts. I just scrolled through 4-5 pages where people were talking about the lights. I just don't get why it was such a big concern, and it doesn't matter if it was this week, last month or last year, my question is still valid.

This isn't exactly a busy forum. Many threads span several years between posts. I just scrolled through 4-5 pages where people were talking about the lights. I just don't get why it was such a big concern, and it doesn't matter if it was this week, last month or last year, my question is still valid.
    Can you over exaggerate more please there is like 3 -4 comments on this page alone and that's it again from a month ago it seems to be it is you who is focused on this subject now also fyi the lights are back on but i guess you missed that didnt you

Can you over exaggerate more please there is like 3 -4 comments on this page alone and that's it again from a month ago it seems to be it is you who is focused on this subject now also fyi the lights are back on but i guess you missed that didnt you
    Uh, there's at least 10 that I just counted in the last few pages actually, TWO being from you. Guess I didn't exaggerate enough.

So here you go!:

Still wondering about the lighting elements of the bridge. Haven't seen any variation in colors other than in testing late last year. Also still wondering why the white lights are shut off at midnight...I'd expect it to be on through the night.
    i watch the live cam they turn off at around 11pm/ 12 am range and during the winter they turned back on at 5/6 am till daylight but i havent seen them on all night
    Is it just me or have the LED lights been shut off for a few nights on the bridge? What's going on? They tested alternate colors back at the end of last year and those were never to be seen again and now the default white lights are off...also awaiting the removal of scaffold decking on both ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcedTea View Post
    They tested alternate colors back at the end of last year and those were never to be seen again and now the default white lights are off...
    Since the High Level Bridge already has lots of colour/variety with its lights, I actually like clean look of white lights on a white bridge. I do hope the default are back soon.
    Any word of why the arch lights have been shut off for the last few weeks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    There have been lights along and under the multi-use walkway installed so maybe that's why the arch lights have been off.
    Drove through for probably the 20th time over the last number of weeks and the Arch lights seem to never be on. I'm starting to worry that something's gone wrong. With this project who knows...
    Is the Walterdale lit up tonight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    The arch is currently lit.

I'll accept your expected apology for saying I exaggerated.
    Last edited by alkeli; 01-08-2018 at 01:41 PM.

I'm tempted to be a jackass and quote the above post and superheat the server..

hella important stuff being discussed here.

Oh hey they got the bridge to change colors now about damned time.

So there's the answer. It wasn't being used because they were doing some sort of upgrade. Case closed. Everybody move along.

That looks stunning.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    That looks stunning.
    Indeed. That is fantastic. And to the poster above who was complaining about the "lights" discussion, this is exactly why...It's a major and distinctive feature which makes this bridge all the more exciting.

Shame on me for not finding them exciting. It's a bridge... Can I cross over water on something that doesn't look like arse? Yes? Good enough. No need for extra costs for building and maintenance for anything fancy. I guess it must be the same people that think the Whitemud shiny balls are a good purchase as well. You do know that this extra money gets clawed back in taxes and increased costs within the city right? I'd personally prefer seeing the money better spent on things that people need and things that matter. But I guess that's just crazy-talk to people who prefer the expensive pretty things...

Pretty astounding they couldn't at least get this going for Canada Day festivities DT. Looks nice. Hopefully some better light programming than HLB.

^^Your bitterness is showing

Here is another city repurposing an old bridge as a popular pedestrian focus point. To bad our city has a long history of demolishing anything older than 60 years.

Smack dab on the front of their 2018 Visitor's Guide.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^ low level, high level, dawson bridge are older than 60 years.

Just because the Walterdale couldn't be saved... and your still bitter about the plates, even though you've probably yet to see the bridge in person.

That's a good point. Dawson would be a pretty great spot for a repurposed bridge cafe or something along those lines.

Low level could be a pedestrian/food truck/event space and commuter conduit to the funicular paths. Even if it's just the original bridge that could be cool

More fresh paving on the south side Big Open Area (dunno what to call it) this morning, to connect the multi-use trail to the old trail. The bit going under the bridge still awaits...

https://www.earthcam.net/projects/is...ring/?cam=cam1

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637