Thread: Ward 7 candidate info

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Info on candidate Mimi Williams:
    http://www.twu-stt.ca/en/court-rules...ams-v-twu-case

Mimi Williams, a former Telus employee and TWU Business Agent (BA), lost her position as a BA in 2007 when her job was terminated from Telus for incidents that occurred during the 2005 labour dispute between the Union and the Company. The 2007 Convention upheld the acting President’s (Peter Massy) decision following her appeal to the Convention to overturn his interpretation of the TWU Constitution when he determined she could not hold her BA position. Mimi Williams sued the TWU for wrongful dismissal and sought to be paid to the end of her term, as well as aggravated and punitive damages.

The May 10 decision determined that Mimi Williams was not wrongfully dismissed and that the TWU did not act in bad faith as she had alleged.

http://www.twu-stt.ca/sites/default/files/20110511.pdf
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Colburn for me. Wish Van Alstein ran again tho
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Colburn for me. Wish Van Alstein ran again tho
    As far as I know, I've read most of the tweets by Colburn and he is consider a poor man's Caterina.

someone should put this on twitter. get her to explain herself.

C2E SME

Not many great choices in Ward 7. Caterina has only improved marginally since he was re-elected.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Caterina isn't that bad these days. His thing was bringing back scheduled service to City Centre Airport. I think he realizes that's now a dead horse and has concentrated on more beneficial things, such as advocating for Alberta Ave...and by extension, concern for more urban issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Caterina isn't that bad these days.
    Yup. I hated him when he re-started the ugly ECCA debate again, but since that has been put to rest he has been OK. He has even come around somewhat on the new arena.

Another old High School buddy of mine is running

http://tishprouse.com
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Interesting. Have never head from this fellow before.. he brings up valid points about the ward and the poor attitudes, misconceptions and biases by Edmontonians, including many on this board, towards the area. It'll be interesting to hear how he plans on changing that
    Parkdale

Super nice guy, very approachable so be sure to go grab a coffee.
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

Default Mimi Williams called out on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    someone should put this on twitter. get her to explain herself.
    Under the #yegarena #yegvote hashtag on Twitter, Mimi Williams is being called out on her past, she admits being fired by Telus twice but not saying anything about her lawsuit against TWU. In fact she called someone a ***** on the #yegarena debate

Mimi Williams ‏@willmimi 2 Sep
    @margih99 Your feedback is helfpul. Next time I'm trolled by ##yegarena supporters, I'll respond with answers about food security. #yegvote

Someone from CTV, Global, The Edmonton Sun, The Edmonton Journal & The CBC should investigate her past! http://www.twu-stt.ca/sites/default/files/20110511.pdf

Checkout section 32 of the report: admitted to alcoholic and gambling problems and misappropriated funds through Improper use of credit card. (Paraphrasing)

I don't think she can be trusted on council if she had a shady & controversial past!

Candidates running so far:

Tony Caterina

Dave Colburn

Tish Prowess

Mimi Williams
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Prouse
    www.decl.org

read up on Prowse... liked what I read. Caterina.. I dunno. It seems like the only time he does anything is around election time. A few years ago, roads in Beverly were finally repaved. This last election, he finally got off his *** and helped Abbottsfield get the much needed new rec center. Sure, he shows up almost weekly to the Beverly Farmers Market... but other than that you rarely see the guy around.

Met with Prouse last night, good to catch up as I went to high school with him. Great guy and really wants to better connect the communities he represents to City Hall and with City Hall to the various communities.
    www.decl.org

Prouse actually took the time to sit in and listen to one our our community league meetings last month. I'm sure it wont continue if elected but its a great start. I know the MLA for the area did the same thing.

And then there's me. Terry Rolls. Ran in 2010. Running again.

http://terryrolls.org/

This place is even deader than 2010. Took me 2 weeks to remember the name.

^ Yikes. That's quite a platform, Terry.
    Parkdale

Re: Tish's blog post re: Residential infill and Don Iveson's well intentioned but mis-guided approach

I absolutely agree that what's being proposed by the city with regards to residential infill is not considerate enough for our unique area. We need to have certain areas designated to not only promote infill but make it fit the character of the neighborhood, like in the 118th ave area should have some sort of "historic urban" designation that ensures infill occurs that also fits the area.
    Parkdale

And he just happens to redo old buildings for living....

No one lives on 118th avenue. All the pawn shop owners must be grateful though.
    And everyone is so glad of the giant baseball bat on 97th. Forget about the problems in the Ward. We got a Big Bat!!!

"Historic Designations' is why we have the Transit Hotel on the corner of 118th and 66st. It's 'historic' and can't be touched.
    The beautiful old art deco Eatons and Woodwards were torn down. The twisted up wooden Transit is a landmark. One example of historic screwups.

Ward 7 is blue collar. How concerned are they about such things over streets and home repairs?

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    If you didn't realize your girlfriend [or boyfriend] was playing around, why would you break up with them?

I'm just telling you the truth. Look where the money went. That's the truth of it.

^ Actually there are quite a few residences on the upper floors of those commercial buildings along 118th. And of course, the neighborhoods bordering 118th have thousands of residents

It's too bad you focus your attention on the pawn shops (That are ubiquitous on many of the city's major streets) and neglect to mention the many successful boutique restaurants, food stores and service shops that line the ave. I sense a strong feeling of pessimism in your platform.

As for the designation of the neighborhood surrounding the area, I am not talking about specific designations, more of an overlay that works in the same manner as the MNO. Only tailored to the area. I think a lot of areas in the city could benefit from something like that.

So what if much of ward 7 is blue collar ? Much of the city is blue collar. Why should people who work in industry be treated any differently than people who work in office towers ? Blue collar people shop, eat, travel, enjoy their homes and pay taxes, just like other people.

If you didn't realize your girlfriend [or boyfriend] was playing around, why would you break up with them?

I'm just telling you the truth. Look where the money went. That's the truth of it.
    I have no idea what you are talking about there
    Parkdale

Yeah, I can tell.

I'm sure the people of the Ward are really concerned over the welfare of the businesses. They lay awake at night worrying about them.
    Most businesses fail. Having a pretty street in front of it will not help.

I was a garbageman and a Teamster. I bet I know blue collar better than you.
    But it's not pessimism I have, it's realism. It's realism you get from seeing this crap go on for decades. Of hearing dozens of times that it's good for the city so go to work to pay for it and shut up.

I sense a strong feeling of artsy fartsy in your world. But it's your feeling. Go ahead and feel it.

^ most of the established businesses have been around a long time. I was at the Paraiso last weekend and there was a 20 minute line-up at the cashier. I think most established businesses are doing fine.. and I bet if you ask them whether they'd rather have frontage on a nice street or an ugly street, they'd all prefer the nice one

Funny, I was a teamster too! Mid- late 90's, local 464 out of BC when I worked for a dairy. My background for the last 14 years has been in construction and operations management. I've successfully run teams of IBEW members on million dollar construction contracts. I think this is the fist time anyone's called me "artsy-fartsy" But I digress, I fail to see what worthwhile contribution you'll bring to city hall with the pessimistic attitude you have towards a ward that, despite it's warts, has a lot of great virtues.
    Parkdale

To say the least... Wow. Good on you for running with your beliefs, but I take issue with your Indy thoughts.

We had mediocre corporate pickup, but the 3rd highest ever attendance at over 200,000 for a weekend and strong attendance each year. It had good visibility on an international scale, was a blast to be at and IMO a good investment on return, even with a gross loss.

As for Castrol, they are a great group, but run races on a different scale.

As for the arena, there was plenty of public input be it at design open houses over 2-3 years, public meetings and the community benefit agreement meetings. We elect Councillors to make decisions on our behalf and can reach our councillors should we want to convey an opinion or pose a question.

The arena deal, design and CRL has had input and perfect or imperfect needs to move onward into construction when the GMP is provided later this rear or early 14. Reopening this debate will only serve to cost us even more.
    www.decl.org

TonCat

The race was tighter than I thought it would be, with Dave Colburn running a great campaign

Look forward to working with you again over the coming years Tony. Keep fighting to make sure the ward receives the respect it deserves.
    Parkdale

highlander

It was an interesting group of candidates, all somewhat focused on alberta avenue. It's a legitimate focus, it's the heart of the ward, but we are more diverse than that.

There were 4 candidates who appeared capable of being effective councillors, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. I didn't vote for Tony, but I can't really complain about the outcome. As much as I liked some other candidates ( I voted for Tish) Tony is a good guy to have around in an inexperienced council like this one. He knows how to deal with administration, he thinks for himself, and even when he disagrees he knows how to work with others.

Meh. Doesnt seem like we are gonna get him outta office till i run :P
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Rolls View Post
    And he just happens to redo old buildings for living....

No one lives on 118th avenue. All the pawn shop owners must be grateful though.
    And everyone is so glad of the giant baseball bat on 97th. Forget about the problems in the Ward. We got a Big Bat!!!

"Historic Designations' is why we have the Transit Hotel on the corner of 118th and 66st. It's 'historic' and can't be touched.
    The beautiful old art deco Eatons and Woodwards were torn down. The twisted up wooden Transit is a landmark. One example of historic screwups.

Ward 7 is blue collar. How concerned are they about such things over streets and home repairs?

Indeed. More of the same.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

I am amazed at the outcome. Not only myself but others candidates and the public at the forums were very vocal concerning the incumbents shortcomings, mismanagement, and perceived favoritism. And yet nothing changed. I am more upset that he won than I lost.

Do people just vote for the 'boss'? Or just want to be on the winning team? Or are they just sheep? Even though we try to sheepdogs to fight off the wolves, they still can't vote against the farmer.

Is the fix in? Several people said this to me in 2010 and 2013. 'What's the point of voting when they've already decided the outcome?"
    As I saw the same smirky grin no matter how much evidence was presented, I ran that thought through my head.

Or does the biggest sign win? Biggest signs were the incumbents, followed by whatisface, I would say.
    Does the public say "don't tell me stuff, just show me big pictures"?

For my campaign I also wonder. Many of my flyers ended up deep in other wards. People contacted me with the info; "hey *****, we're not in your ward".
    How did Canada Post screw up so badly when it had postal codes on it? Delivering stuff to the proper address is all that they do. They practice everyday. How do they screw up like this? I paid for 30,000. How many got there?
    Maybe we'll find out. I've laid a complaint with the Post Office Ombudsman.

The Public doesn't care. They'll get into big internet arguments about stupid stuff like 'what sports team is going to win the big sports award?' or 'who's stronger Superman or The Hulk?' like their soul was on the line, yet over matters that control their lives they have no interest. They shrug. They'd let slavery come back without arguing about it.

So I guess they get what they deserve.

Maybe the incumbent was more timely and on top of things??

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

You shouldn't take it personally, Terry. In municipal elections, the incumbent has an almost insurmountable advantage no matter who s/he is mostly because of the name recognition. Very few people follow municipal politics on a granular level. This is not just true in Edmonton.

Eve
    Last edited by EveB; 14-11-2013 at 10:43 AM.

I am amazed at the outcome. Not only myself but others candidates and the public at the forums were very vocal concerning the incumbents shortcomings, mismanagement, and perceived favoritism. And yet nothing changed. I am more upset that he won than I lost.

Do people just vote for the 'boss'? Or just want to be on the winning team? Or are they just sheep? Even though we try to sheepdogs to fight off the wolves, they still can't vote against the farmer.

Is the fix in? Several people said this to me in 2010 and 2013. 'What's the point of voting when they've already decided the outcome?"
    As I saw the same smirky grin no matter how much evidence was presented, I ran that thought through my head.

Or does the biggest sign win? Biggest signs were the incumbents, followed by whatisface, I would say.
    Does the public say "don't tell me stuff, just show me big pictures"?

For my campaign I also wonder. Many of my flyers ended up deep in other wards. People contacted me with the info; "hey *****, we're not in your ward".
    How did Canada Post screw up so badly when it had postal codes on it? Delivering stuff to the proper address is all that they do. They practice everyday. How do they screw up like this? I paid for 30,000. How many got there?
    Maybe we'll find out. I've laid a complaint with the Post Office Ombudsman.

The Public doesn't care. They'll get into big internet arguments about stupid stuff like 'what sports team is going to win the big sports award?' or 'who's stronger Superman or The Hulk?' like their soul was on the line, yet over matters that control their lives they have no interest. They shrug. They'd let slavery come back without arguing about it.

So I guess they get what they deserve.

Whoa. What a sore loser.

Note to self: Never vote for Terry Rolls.

So it's everyone else's fault when someone else gets elected?

I don't buy it.

Note to self; ignore buttkissers.

I forgot one. When we have the Rob Ford affect. When the public votes for someone even when they are so totally unsuitable for the job. See also Marion Barry in D.C..
    Or here in Edmonton. Mayor Hawrelak was so corrupt he went to prison. When he got out they re-elected him, and re-named the park after him.

What is it that gets them in? Does the public want somebody so beneath them so they can laugh at their antics and feel superior to politicians? Or so they feel like they're one of the boys?
    I guess that explains TV shows like Alligator Trucker Storage Swamp Bubbahs.

I forgot one. When we have the Rob Ford affect. When the public votes for someone even when they are so totally unsuitable for the job. See also Marion Barry in D.C..
    Or here in Edmonton. Mayor Hawrelak was so corrupt he went to prison. When he got out they re-elected him, and re-named the park after him.

What is it that gets them in? Does the public want somebody so beneath them so they can laugh at their antics and feel superior to politicians? Or so they feel like they're one of the boys?
    Wow Terry Rolls, the way you've conducted yourself on this thread I'm very glad you didn't get it. You have no place in politics. You have no poise and your certainly lack tact.
    But ya, start drumming up conspiracies as to why you lost. The answer lies within you. I will remember this thread and your name should you ever try to run in my ward or for mayor or god forbid any thing higher.

Good riddance !!!

Hawrelak never went to prison. While I didn't vote for Caterina in this election, I can't say the guy hasn't done right by his ward. Things get done. Beverly has new community rinks and a new rec center in Abbottsfield. Roads are in great shape in the ward.
    You sir, fit in perfectly with politics... you have no clue, no facts and you talk out of your ***. It makes my head spin why you didn't win the election.

Aw muffin

C2E SME

Terry, two things:

(1) How was your fundraising prior to the election? Some people have additional resources during election time.

(2) There are still many other capacities where you can perform as a leader, like volunteering or community leagues.

Please learn the lessons from your campaign. I'm sure you still grew from this experience.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

So does anyone care about the Caterina empire Tony is trying to build at city hall with his son?
    I don't think a father-son collaboration should ever happen in municipal elections. Although I respect Tony's politics and his views, this can hurt his career.