Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Edmonton Air Cargo News

C2E Long Term Contributor

Excellent news. We certainly need to continue to develop YEG as a cargo stop between Asia and the USA.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Posting Power

Speaking of which, does Air China Cargo still fly to YEG? I haven't noticed them for a while.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    Speaking of which, does Air China Cargo still fly to YEG? I haven't noticed them for a while.
    Yes.

C2E Posting Power

Glad to hear it.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Excellent news. We certainly need to continue to develop YEG as a cargo stop between Asia and the USA.
    YEG is on a great circle route, so cargo makes sense. Two national railways, burn less fuel and because with cargo you're not in the business of treating passengers as cattle through pens, I mean hubs - makes perfect sense.
    ... gobsmacked

From Dansk on SSP

Airlinerroute confirmation: Korean Air Cargo to operate scheduled weekly service to Edmonton with 747-8F from 28OCT17 (arr YEG 29OCT17)
    www.decl.org

Korean Air Cargo at the launch of winter 2017/18 season is launching regular scheduled service to Edmonton in Canada, with Boeing 747-8 Freighter. Operational routing from 28OCT17 will be Seoul Incheon – Los Angeles – Edmonton – Osaka Kansai – Seoul Incheon, once a week.

The airline’s Cargo unit previously served Edmonton 6 times in 2016, and one time in April 2017, based on OAG Schedules Analyser.

KE9209 ICN2320 – 1845LAX 74N 6
    KE9210 LAX0100 – 0520YEG0720 – 0930+1KIX1230+1 – 1420+1ICN 74N 7

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...late-oct-2017/

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I dare say this freighter will get loaded with frozen pork for the Japanese market

Importers and exporters need to pay attention. Use it or lose it!

Hello Port Alberta, where are you?
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

@FlyEIA

Today we're celebrating the newest addition to our #AirportCity. @AirCanada has made a significant investment in our region with this new #cargo facility!

https://twitter.com/FlyEIA/status/1055485576776867840

The Edmonton International Airport (EIA) is continuing to expand with the construction of a new Air Canada facility.

A groundbreaking ceremony is being held Thursday morning. The EIA says the new building will modernize air cargo handling and ground service equipment operations.

The 50,000-square-foot facility comes at a cost of $19 million.
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4594805/a...GlobalEdmonton

Fantastic news. Keep it coming! We really need to work on growing our cargo sector. Vis a vis other major cities we are about 40-60% of where we need to be.
    www.decl.org

What we need is for AC to get some proper international passenger routes out of here.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I wonder if the YYC cargo by truck subsidy finally ran out?

I wonder if this airline is trying to win us with crumbs. Why now?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    I wonder if the YYC cargo by truck subsidy finally ran out?
    i always got the impression that AC only does what is absolutely necessary at EIA not really interested in developing the market only reacting to it. So they have gone from a small facility of about 10,000 square feet to 50,000 sf. Hmmm.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Exactly! Here we are Edmonton... we are part of your community.

Air Canada's Ground Support Equipment team will utilise 30,000 square feet (2,787 square metres) of the new facility, while Air Canada Cargo will occupy the remaining 20,000 square feet (1,858 square metres). The new facility is expected to open in September 2019.
    https://www.stattimes.com/air-canada...port-air-cargo
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Chinese logistics firm to build hub at EIA, boosting North America-China trade
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018
    EHL International Logistics Co. expansion bolsters EIA’s international trade hub status, spurring new jobs and export/import opportunities for Alberta businesses

(Edmonton, AB) – EHL International Logistics Co. and Edmonton International Airport (EIA) signed an agreement on Nov. 9, 2018 in Shanghai, China, making the airport EHL’s new North American logistics consolidation centre for goods, including e-commerce, moving between China and North America. The deal will generate many new jobs for the Edmonton Metro Region and significantly increase real-time access to global markets for small- and medium-size businesses across the region, Alberta and Canada.

EHL, a subsidiary of the Henan Provincial Government, will operate its North American flights from Zhengzhou, Henan to Edmonton, and continue to the US mainland. Trial 747-400 flights through Edmonton are already underway, in preparation for an expanded freighter schedule.

http://corporate.flyeia.com/news/chi...ca-china-trade
    www.decl.org

Aahhso.

Good news - more jobs - more revenue - more reason to locate your import / export biz here.

Thanks
    ... gobsmacked

Tremendous news. Always new we were in the right location just needed someone to find us.

Wondered when someone would wake up and say, "guys, there's this international airport right on a great circle route ......"
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Congrats Leduc

Default Hicks on Biz: Edmonton — air-cargo gateway to Asia

Readying for the next 20 years, the Edmonton airport authority sees itself ideally positioned as a major distribution hub for North American/Asian air cargo.
    Today, 100 jets a day fly the Pacific polar route back-and-forth from Asia to North America. A good portion of the cargo-only jets stop in Anchorage, Alaska, to refuel before heading to mega-distribution centres in the American mid-west and Eastern Seaboard.
    The EIA has a better idea. Why not fly the polar route to Edmonton, where cargo jets can not only re-fuel, but pick up/drop off cargo?
    https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/colu...ateway-to-asia

It took them this long to push this agenda while it was clearly known for how long our geographical, production, services, and expertise are abundant to challenge any difficulties. No insult to Aksaska, we have way more advantages including emergency response to tackle the potential outcome. Does Alaska even have equivalence to Star Air as an example? These things count in winning arguments. Positive direction for sure.

Anyone know if EIA own properties to the West of the Airport. If not, should thereally be further land procurement be considered now? As well, if they decide north of the airport is also feasible for development, how will they mitigate the future augment highway and connect that land portion to the free flow transaction of this hub such as a tunnel to allow free traffic flow etc. I'm no expert, but that area is developing quite quick, so there is no recourse if it gets develope before they have a chance to ...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

The ERAA leases 7,000 acres from the Federal Government...there is plenty of room to expand the cargo capabilities. They have the largest land mass of any airport in Canada, so if YYZ and YVR can be the scale they are...

They do not own any land west of the airport that I know of, yet. The third runway conversation would potentially change that.

The roadway designs to the north (specifically HWY 19) have EIA's growth projections in mind - it is even contemplating a sweeping curve near Rabbit Hill Road to accommodate the third runway.

As for Edmonton v Alaska...

While yes, we do have some geographical advantages, and they are well known, don't sell Alaska short. The Alaska National Guard is stellar in their SAR capabilities, and they even brought their new J model C-130 to the airshow last year to show this off. They stand at the ready...and they're good.

They have fuel. Lots of it. In earlier years, planning ANC or others would save in fuel loads from Asia...meaning more cargo on board. Edmonton was just that much further...aka more fuel = less paying cargo. The new engines are incredible, so this helps get Edmonton on board.

Their main advantage for years was that they are the US. US carriers and cargo counts for significant volumes...far more than Canada. Until the free trade zones were established...customs played a huge factor. Remember...'Merica...

Don't get me wrong...I agree that Edmonton always had a good case. It is exactly why the Feds built YEG in the first place, for the coming 707, DC-8, etc. Our own missteps and political BS caused a lot of the malaise, and once airlines establish a pattern (especially after deregulation), changing their minds is next to impossible. In 2018, with geopolitical changes and technology, Edmonton is becoming a more attractive place to do things.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Default EIA to be North American entry for Chinese company

An agreement was signed today between Edmonton International Airport (EIA) and Plant Box, a Chinese-based company that specializes in LED lighting systems designed for indoor plant growth, such as hydroponics. EIA will be the North American entry point and logistical hub for this company, as well as home for its main manufacturing and distribution centre in North America.
    “We looked at multiple venues across North America for this investment and determined that the Edmonton Metro Region and EIA was the perfect fit to be our north American home. EIA offers several advantages not seen at other airports and we hope this will be the start of a long and successful relationship for our company in North America,” Steve Loo, Executive Director of Plant Box in China.
    http://corporate.flyeia.com/news/eia...nese-company-0

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234