Thread: Multiple Usernames

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default Multiple Usernames

I need to remind all that you are allowed 1 username per person. This is to prevent people from using multiple usernames to appear to bolster any opinions.

I will be approaching people who I have discovered have multiple usernames and asking you to pick only 1.

This reminder is in repsonse to the many recent attempts to sign up with multiple usernames.

As for some who accuse old banned usernames from being another user, the only way I allow a new username to be used is when the banned poster and I come to an agreement that the new username will follow the guidelines of C2E.

Thank you.
    Ow

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

there is, of course, another approach to limiting multiple usernames...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I know.
    Ow

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Tell us who they are!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Tell us who they are!
    I think that's a fair request.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

I wonder how Admin intends on forcing this rule, especially for some of the more crafty users who may or may not be part of a certain political group that likes to post a lot here that can easily shift/mask their hostname/ip/email etc.

I'd rather C2E than work!

One thing I do on my forum is look up the IP address for everyone that registers on the site, then watch those with "fishy" IPs (their posts are moderated), or I just block people that register using a proxy server. I've also blocked the usage of any disposable email address services. Of course that's easy when you only have a couple of people registering a day.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    One thing I do on my forum is look up the IP address for everyone that registers on the site, then watch those with "fishy" IPs (their posts are moderated), or I just block people that register using a proxy server. I've also blocked the usage of any disposable email address services. Of course that's easy when you only have a couple of people registering a day.
    not sure how reliable the "disposable" email address service is as an indicator. i've had the same hotmail address for more than two decades and still use for things like forum registrations where the registration is entirely personal and not corporate address and sometimes even for the corporate ones where the "shared file" designations etc. won't make it past the corporate firewall...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^
    I think Gord's referring to email services where the email account is destroyed after very short amount of inactivity. I wouldn't consider gmail or hotmail to be "disposable" email addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    ^
    I think Gord's referring to email services where the email account is destroyed after very short amount of inactivity. I wouldn't consider gmail or hotmail to be "disposable" email addresses.
    Who cares if the account is destroyed or not? A hotmail account or gmail account can (and has been) used just to sign up for an account, complete the registration and ignore it.... A non-disposable one would be one like your corporate work email, or shaw or TELUS email account, as you can at least tie those back to someone at some point....

But any restrictions we place will limit the accessibility of this site... and the ease of sign-up and post/tr oll.

There are many people who do not have company emails (or do not use them for personal stuff), do not have an ISP based one, or choose to use a service like Gmail so they have consistency in their email address. Completely blocking the big online email services would block a lot of legitimate users.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Why do we care in the slightest? A bolstered opinion doesn't make it any more right or reasonable than an un-bolstered opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Why do we care in the slightest? A bolstered opinion doesn't make it any more right or reasonable than an un-bolstered opinion.
    For once I totally agree with KC on this!

Signed,

K alter ego C

BTW, I can confidently assure everyone that TerryH and Terry_H are two different people.

Ok, ok, you guys forced it out of me. I'm also Medwards, Admin and IanO - plus all the rest of you.

Hey, it might be fun just to change the "offenders" existing names so we can see how they argued with each other.

Pseudo1 (Pseudo2)
    I'm buying an iPhone5

Pseudo2 (Pseudo1)
    Oh, Pseudo1, you're a technological wunderkind, so I'm mindlessly doing whatever you do!
    Last edited by KC; 16-10-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I wonder how Admin intends on forcing this rule, especially for some of the more crafty users who may or may not be part of a certain political group that likes to post a lot here that can easily shift/mask their hostname/ip/email etc.
    That is my secret. I am well aware of this. It is reflected in many of the online polls we host as well.
    Ow

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

From the history of this site, when it happens to you, it is surprising at how quickly the person being ganged up on "cares".

It also extends credibility to C2E.
    Ow

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post

Thank you Gord. I employ several tactics, some mentioned here.
    Ow

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    From the history of this site, when it happens to you, it is surprising at how quickly the person being ganged up on "cares".

It also extends credibility to C2E.
    Good points. (Though I have posted on many unpopular concepts like Alberta bringing in a sales tax, charging water royalties, wishing for falling house and stock prices, eliminating corporate taxes, etc. and... I've even revived old threads. Gangs of one or many just force me to reconsider, reinforce or abandon arguments.)

Here's an off beat idea or two... Give every user two names. One would be their real name and one a pseudonym. Require some ratio or some measure of posting usage of real and pseudonym to maintain an account.

Or give random numbers but validated to eventually reveal their real name (after 5 years maybe). Still, "whatever you do or say WILL be used against you."
    Last edited by KC; 17-10-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

There is another method I am looking at for this. It is not to actually force a real name, but it still protects C2E.
    Ow

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    ^
    The disposable email addresses are ones created with the push of a button, and are valid for minutes (usually 10-30). The services exist for things like registering for a forum in order to tr0ll it. Push a button, get an email address and click on a link to check for email. It's so easy, which is why so many trolls use them when they want an account to tr0ll from. I had a guy who created tons of accounts using those disposable email addresses, and once I blocked them he stopped.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I just wanted to denote that my username is not um, you know, a replacement.

I'm the same poster always and have not been somebody else. As much as I know and assuming no existing multiple personality or significant dissociative disorder.

I also only get one vote in elections and complete one income tax return.

afaik

just wanted to put that out there.
    Last edited by Replacement; 17-10-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Ok, ok, you guys forced it out of me. I'm also Medwards, Admin and IanO - plus all the rest of you.

Hey, it might be fun just to change the "offenders" existing names so we can see how they argued with each other.

Pseudo1 (Pseudo2)
    I'm buying an iPhone5

Pseudo2 (Pseudo1)
    Oh, Pseudo1, you're a technological wunderkind, so I'm mindlessly doing whatever you do!
    Although it doesn't involve smartphone war trolling, that has happened within the last week on a thread here...
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

I think it would be easy to figure out who is duplicating names etc for the fact that i become familiar with style of presentation. They may get away a couple of times per se, but once you recognize their signature- vocabulary, thoughts, and input- you can easily identify who they are. As to why they think multiple user names to suppprt their argument would have any affect on my opinion is, quite frankly, idiotic.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Once a bunch of users said I was a multiple account holder. I still to this day have one and only one account.

So I guess there's only about 7-8 actual c2e users the rest are just multiples lol

I really think they should be named, once they have been approached. They have deceived us all on a site many people put quite a lot of time into, shouldn't we all know who was found to be a duplicate?

How about it RichardS?

How far back should Richards go? I wouldn't make allegations I couldn't prove without a doubt.

Two years. That's manageable.

You don't think multiple posters should be identified?

Damn skippy they should be. Some of the "debates" would all of a sudden make some sense.

You're way nicer than Medwards represents himself on this forum.

You may be as good as Admin -- I do appreciate your contributions even though some **** all over new threads you start.

You don't even come close to having IanO's online ego.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post

You may be as good as Admin -- I do appreciate your contributions even though some **** all over new threads you start.

You don't even come close to having IanO's online ego.
    I'm also MJ.

I'm tempted to say that we need to be sensitive to those with multiple personality disorder, but, that would be insensitive.
    Last edited by KC; 18-10-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Booster Sock-Puppets! Noooooooo - say it ain't so.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    there is, of course, another approach to limiting multiple usernames...
    Yup - see 'DeadBoardWalking'!

Just to appease your hobby-horse, the names Bond, Jeff Bond!

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post

I don't think its possible to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by reportsyourpost View Post

"Pseudolus: Wait!
    Hero: Yes?
    Pseudolus: A brilliant idea!
    Hero: Yes!
    Pseudolus: That's what we need, a brilliant idea."

- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post

I'm not much different in real life. I don't sugar coat things, and shoot from the hip. Some might think I'm an ******* because of this... but its the way I am.

I was working in Drumheller when I joined where there are tons of dinosaur bones so I used Drumbones. Then I came back and now I'm stuck with it.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 18-10-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Partially Addicted to C2E

I must be boring .... only use one name and it's my real name. Could be cuz I have nothing to hide and stand behind everything I say, right or wrong.

I could never be wrong, would I?????

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by reportsyourpost View Post

As someone who has only ever used one name on this board—the one I'm writing from—I think they should give it a shot.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

All,

Thank you for your input.

I have several ways to identify multiple usernames, and until very lately, it hasn't been an issue. To those who say that there is no way, or even it is idiotic to have multiple usernames, this recent election cycle has more than its fair share try.

The only multiple names allowed are moderators, and with permission, very public figures. This was explained some time ago. Those public people (like politicians and local celebrities) are forbidden to use both names in a single discussion, or topic. To date, not one has violated this rule.

I do suspect a few others, and will work to substantiate the claim. I am not sure a public flogging is in order, but I will ask the person to stop using the alternate and publicly admit which multiple is being used.

Similar to "like farming" and the fake ratings online, multiple usernames and ID's are used to appear to bolster support for things. Here, it is not so much of an issue, but I try to keep some integrity in this place.

Thanks again. I will consider everything said here.
    Ow

I appreciate and comprehend to that logic; that still wont influence me at all as i process pros and cons of the candidates through their own orations of platforms. Sane people stick with their convictions and course. I hope everyone is strong will enough to do the same.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Problem with allowing multiple accounts is if there's trouble makers aka trolls the harder it is to get rid of them . That shouldn't be a problem here. I'm a Admin on another site and is pretty strict when it comes to not allowing more then one account.