Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Air Canada | London-Heathrow | Discussion

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    I was at Heathrow the other day and saw the AC direct flight to Halifax on the board, and it made me see red. Halifax is a glorified small town!
    Folks, if you ever want to see a textbook example of why the mention of Edmonton elicits such roars of laughter both in the media and abroad, look no further... That myopic sense of entitlement and total lack of self awareness is truly a wonder to behold.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Entitlement? A metro area of 1.4 million - does include northern Alberta, B.C and Saskatchewan - we deserve flights like the rest of Canada. I see you're let out of the coo coo ward and not much has changed.

Won't be surprised if they drop below 20% by the time the Stantec Tower opens.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    I was at Heathrow the other day and saw the AC direct flight to Halifax on the board, and it made me see red. Halifax is a glorified small town!
    Halifax has flights from other carriers too:

London (Gatwick) via St John's., Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Reykjavik and Reykjavik (from WestJet.)

Halifax is close enough to Europe to use narrowbodies.

London is barely farther from Halifax than Vancouver is from Halifax. Madrid and Lisbon are comfortably in certifiable range from Halifax as well.

i.e., you can legally fly the same planes Halifax to London that Air Canada or Westjet fly from Edmonton to Ottawa.

In our case, to get anywhere overseas (other than Hawaii or the Caribbean), we'd need an airline to devote an entire day of an piece of capital at least twice as expensive as they would for Halifax.

e.g., an A319 for Halifax-London would cost $86 million, while an A330 for Edmonton-London would cost $220 million.

Source

Understand this is an incredibly oversimplified but telling discussion.

The more appropriate anger inducer is, as always, Calgary's vastly inflated service.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

St. John - London: 3743km

Edmonton - London: 6804km

Going from Edmonton to St. John is almost the same distance as St. John to London.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Looks like this flight has finally come to its end. Not bookable next summer, and the slot at LHR has gone to a second YVR flight.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Looks like this flight has finally come to its end. Not bookable next summer, and the slot at LHR has gone to a second YVR flight.
    Bastards.
    It was a slow agonizing death and predictable.
    Bring on BA.
    Last edited by Glenco; 28-10-2015 at 02:36 PM.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Rumors had it BA was negotiating with EIA last year but it didn't work out.
    I wonder if this makes both parties reconsider?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Even with the low price of oil I would be curious to see if BA now had more interest in YEG with one of their new 788s.

The big advantage that BA would have compared to AC is that they have a massive hub on one end of the flight that would help feed the flight, plus WS regional connections on our end. This is something AC never had since it seemed like they did not try to feed the LHR flight on the YEG-end while at LHR the amount of Star Alliance onward connections are fairly minimal.

On the other hand, BA does seem to rely on higher yielding passengers compared to AC and full planes don't always equate to a profitable route. However, I have to think that a YEG-LHR flight could at least be worth BA's consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by DClan View Post
    Even with the low price of oil I would be curious to see if BA now had more interest in YEG with one of their new 788s.

The big advantage that BA would have compared to AC is that they have a massive hub on one end of the flight that would help feed the flight, plus WS regional connections on our end. This is something AC never had since it seemed like they did not try to feed the LHR flight on the YEG-end while at LHR the amount of Star Alliance onward connections are fairly minimal.

On the other hand, BA does seem to rely on higher yielding passengers compared to AC and full planes don't always equate to a profitable route. However, I have to think that a YEG-LHR flight could at least be worth BA's consideration.

What you are saying is true...but AC always ran near full flights YEG-LHR. So there was never a major issue filling the planes - at least based on my observations and most anecdotes.

Quote Originally Posted by JustYeggin View Post

What you are saying is true...but AC always ran near full flights YEG-LHR. So there was never a major issue filling the planes - at least based on my observations and most anecdotes.
    Oh I agree! I flew the AC flight to LHR a couple times per year for pretty much the entire time the flight has been around and it was always full.

However, BA operates on a different model than AC and the fact that AC was able to fill its planes doesn't necessarily mean that it would translate to profits for BA should they step in and fill AC's shoes.

But I would be hopeful that due to the amount of demand from YEG to Europe along with the fact that BA has a massive hub to connect to at LHR that BA would be more interested in YEG than before AC exited the market

C2E Continued Contributor

LHR is a huge market for YEG - BA would be the logical choice to fill it.

Lets hope they have more discussions with EIA and come to some sort of agreement

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Oh well, every cloud has a silver lining and all that. Sweet.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Quote Originally Posted by JustYeggin View Post

Oh I agree! I flew the AC flight to LHR a couple times per year for pretty much the entire time the flight has been around and it was always full.

However, BA operates on a different model than AC and the fact that AC was able to fill its planes doesn't necessarily mean that it would translate to profits for BA should they step in and fill AC's shoes.

But I would be hopeful that due to the amount of demand from YEG to Europe along with the fact that BA has a massive hub to connect to at LHR that BA would be more interested in YEG than before AC exited the market
    Also BA would be flying from hub to non hub whereas AC were flying non hub to non hub which creates logistical problems for planes and flight crews.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Three possibilities: BA, Virgin, or AC again (unhindered by Calgary Harper political interference).

Transat might return, but to Gatwick.

No no no no.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Three possibilities: BA, Virgin, or AC again (unhindered by Calgary Harper political interference).

Transat might return, but to Gatwick.
    True, no political back room interference from Harper - who did sweet nothing for the Edmonton Region. Absolutely nothing!

I think the return on the flights depends on 787 metal delivery to Air Canada which is taking forever. YEG-LHR is a perfect route for the 788; a plane that makes this pairing way more economical. Also think this is going away temporarily as AC moves 767 metal to Rouge or out the door and their secondary long haul routes suffer in the meantime due to available equipment.
    Last edited by PJC; 30-10-2015 at 03:51 AM.

It's official.

Posted at 0600GMT 30OCT15

Air Canada in summer 2016 season is adjusting service between Western Canada and London Heathrow, including service cuts for Alberta. Planned changes as follow.

Calgary – London Heathrow Service in summer 2016 operates 7 weekly, instead of 11 weekly
    AC850 YYC1750 – 0935+1LHR 333 D
    AC851 LHR1105 – 1315YYZ 333 D

Edmonton – London Heathrow 3 weekly seasonal service cancelled in 2016

Vancouver – London Heathrow 01JUN16 – 29SEP16 Increase from 1 to 2 daily (LHR departure 02JUN16 – 30SEP16)
    AC854 YVR1830 – 1140+1LHR 77W D
    AC896 YVR2110 – 1420+1LHR 788 D

AC855 LHR1005 – 1135YVR 77W D
    AC897 LHR1615 – 1745YVR 788 D

I hope this will cause BA to reconsider YEG and WS to perhaps shift a couple weeklies from YVR to YEG. Not that I fly AC very much now but I will be making an extra effort to avoid this airline now. It's like they have a hate on for this city. Their flights were full to LHR but their service is very much inferior to KLM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
    I hope this will cause BA to reconsider YEG and WS to perhaps shift a couple weeklies from YVR to YEG. Not that I fly AC very much now but I will be making an extra effort to avoid this airline now. It's like they have a hate on for this city. Their flights were full to LHR but their service is very much inferior to KLM.
    Likewise, I will be trying to avoid AC like the plague from now on. A big F to you AC.

I have not flown Air Canada for maybe 20 years and avoid them at all costs.

As said before they make their choices and I make mine.

We need to support the airlines that are willing to invest in YEG and look for new opportunities. I sympathize with EIA for having to deal with Air Canada but wish them well in finding new routes
    Last edited by Rocket252; 30-10-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Good riddance to a part time flight connection that can be filled by another airline that's more interested.

bye bye Air Canada!
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Note the metal being used in Vancouver. My bet is Air Canada will be back in a year.

The other thing to consider (in concert with losing DFW) is that this is a byproduct of $45 oil...

Or we can just keep blaming AC and the NDP...

Addicted to C2E

^I believe it's a combination of things. The oil doesn't help. Remember Calgary also loses 4x weekly service with this so maybe the loads just aren't as good in Alberta as they could be for YVR-LHR who is getting this flight. YVR is also getting this flight with a 787 i may add but there may be another story at YVR. WS is starting the 6x a week YVR-LGW route and BA is upgrading the YVR-LHR route to an Airbus 380. AC may want to bring in a bit more fight to the YVR-London market.

By all means keep blaming AC and the NDP although the NDP has enough blame from so many others that it would be a waste of your time.

Our market is okay with this now that we have FI, KL, WS. Would like to see a n/s flight to LHR, but don't see BA entering our market in the short term.

It's oil, it's the dollar, it's first class passengers, it's high cost landing slots at LHR, and yes, it's political douchebaggery.

Nice to see Calgary getting some blade as well though, to be honest. If I were Air Canada, I'd be completely Air Vancouver/Toronto because that's following the market and structuring for profit and resillience. Calgary has been hugely overserved at our direct expense and at Air Canada's alike. Their remaining daily to Alberta should now be split into halves for each airport. That's following the market.

^ AC would never do that - no matter how bad it is in Calgary economically and load wise

^ never know, markets have ways of persisting beyond politics. Just need the politics to tilt "less-South" and "more-market."
    Last edited by JayBee; 30-10-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: hatchety hatchet hatchet...

Quote Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
    ^I believe it's a combination of things. The oil doesn't help. Remember Calgary also loses 4x weekly service with this so maybe the loads just aren't as good in Alberta as they could be for YVR-LHR who is getting this flight. YVR is also getting this flight with a 787 i may add but there may be another story at YVR. WS is starting the 6x a week YVR-LGW route and BA is upgrading the YVR-LHR route to an Airbus 380. AC may want to bring in a bit more fight to the YVR-London market.

By all means keep blaming AC and the NDP although the NDP has enough blame from so many others that it would be a waste of your time.
    We only need blame AC. I find it really strange that they flood the YVR market with more service to compete with WS and BA, a Johnny come lately day late dollar short, strategy whereas they withdraw service to YEG in the face of new competition. It is hard to say exactly what their plan is but providing service where there is a demand and being proactive does not seem to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    Note the metal being used in Vancouver. My bet is Air Canada will be back in a year.

The other thing to consider (in concert with losing DFW) is that this is a byproduct of $45 oil...

Or we can just keep blaming AC and the NDP...
    The last thing we need is for AC to return to YEG when the mood hits them. We need year round consistent service to LHR uninterrupted be the internal politics of an airline.
    DFW is most likely the result of the low oil prices however I see KLM and IA INCREASING SERVICE TO EUROPE in spite of the low oil. Please stop with the excuses.

Only KLM fly to Europe. WS will be flying to the UK (if the aircraft meet the safety requirements) and FI fly to Iceland which is geographically in North America and requires a connection to get to Europe...and had not Newfoundland agreed to join Canada in 1949 we might have thought flights there and onward into Europe the same way we see Iceland lol.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 30-10-2015 at 10:09 PM.

C2E Posting Power

^ As per Wikipedia: Iceland is closer to continental Europe than to mainland North America; thus, the island is generally included in Europe for historical, political, cultural, and practical reasons. Geologically the island includes parts of both continental plates.

It's oil, it's the dollar, it's first class passengers, it's high cost landing slots at LHR, and yes, it's political douchebaggery.

Nice to see Calgary getting some blade as well though, to be honest. If I were Air Canada, I'd be completely Air Vancouver/Toronto because that's following the market and structuring for profit and resillience. Calgary has been hugely overserved at our direct expense and at Air Canada's alike. Their remaining daily to Alberta should now be split into halves for each airport. That's following the market.
    Oh please your hate for Cgy is tiring, same thing over and over...

^ crybabies gonna cry.

JayBee is not home alone...ET has zero love for anything Calgary. But then ET and his friends are Edmonton boys - from sperm and eggs or maybe sperm and sperm or egg and egg and hatched here. One can never be too socially correct. Except when it comes to YYC and a thorough bashing, the whip and and kick in the jewels is called for. On bad days I take out the knife and with surgical precision cut out that "heart of the West" and eat it. Relax ... It's Halloween ☠

"I take out the knife and with surgical precision cut out that "heart of the West" and eat it."

If you ever see that printed on a shirt, just walk up and introduce yourself (to me.)

By the way, about the cuts to YYC-LHR, I think it's important to note the decrease of people driving YEG-YYC then flying LHR, who are now flying via KEF and AMS. Plus some numbers of other Western Canadians flying via YEG as well. No question our Calgary Habit used to be more profitable for them.

By attempting to injure Edmonton, AC essentially sparked a rival Alberta hub here instead.

Karma. Very glad they left.

Again, AC undoubtedly made a decision based on financial metrics and best use of available metal. This whole "got it in for Edmonton" argument is tiresome. They'll be back with this route when their fleet and the economy make it worthwhile. Remember, Calgary got a haircut here too.

Clearly, protecting YVR-LHR means greater returns for AC.

^ I think you think I need telling that, but actually I already said it:

You've missed the point. The point about injury comes from Calgaryan Dereck Vanston's innuendo in his letter, published in the Journal. Shall I dredge up a link for you?

And where are all these customers coming from to fill the KLM, Icelandair, and AC-LHR-2015 flights? We're talking more than 2.5 times the number that were formerly served by AC alone from YEG.

More than 2.5 times.

Were they not previously flying through other North American hubs, Calgary primary among them?

Or out of thin air?

During this "economy" which should have us flying less often?

Zero question that YYC's Transatlantic service took two big hits with KLM and Icelandair serving YEG.

It's too bad that people from EIAA can't publically speak about the meetings they had with Rovinescu et al after the Vanstone letter and the arrogance he displayed. (As an aside, I am going to watch with great interest what happens to him and AC given the close connection to the now defeated Harper government)

Quite simply put AC's business model does not include YEG for international and Transborder flights.

Even more simply put, the Edmonton communities' (business and leisure) model does not include connecting through AC's network and in particular YYC.

I have not connected through YYC in well over a decade and only fly AC perhaps twice a year non-stop to either YYZ (BTW the UP Express Train is great!) or YUL so I can credit the Q-miles to my United Gold Elite account.

Everyone who is serious about Edmonton and YEG (the people who post here whose friends and associates see them as serious flyers) should be telling everyone they know to fly other carriers ex-YEG and not to connect in YYC in particular and anywhere else in the AC or WestJet world. Yes, I include WestJet where they want a YYC connection as opposed to non-stop.

If the focus were on that as opposed to AC then we would all be better served.

No connections on WestJet for us - we would fly through a US city first.

^ I think you think I need telling that, but actually I already said it:

You've missed the point. The point about injury comes from Calgaryan Dereck Vanston's innuendo in his letter, published in the Journal. Shall I dredge up a link for you?

And where are all these customers coming from to fill the KLM, Icelandair, and AC-LHR-2015 flights? We're talking more than 2.5 times the number that were formerly served by AC alone from YEG.

More than 2.5 times.

Were they not previously flying through other North American hubs, Calgary primary among them?

Or out of thin air?

During this "economy" which should have us flying less often?

Zero question that YYC's Transatlantic service took two big hits with KLM and Icelandair serving YEG.
    No doubt AC shot themselves in the foot now they are off fighting another fire without any clear strategy except to make YYZ a world hub. I expect they will make a come back in the Edmonton market in a futile attempt to protected their share by which time the horse will have already bolted.

For a national airline to treat one of its home markets in such a way is a disgrace

If/when Air Canada returns to YEG it may be too late. They have poisoned the environment and proven themselves to be unreliable partners.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    For a national airline to treat one of its home markets in such a way is a disgrace

If/when Air Canada returns to YEG it may be too late. They have poisoned the environment and proven themselves to be unreliable partners.
    Bull... If/when they do, their butt will receive copious quantities of kisses, and boosters here will proclaim it a "Putting Edmonton on the Map" event of epic proportions.

^ All academic as we have no idea when they will return but they have burned a lot of bridges here and even the normal passenger is perturbed by the inconsistent service.

Saying that if AC shows a genuine desire to serve our market and makes the appropriate effort I will support them.

Don't see that happening with their present model.

Air Canada is NOT a national airline. They are an airline just like United, West Jet or even American Airlines. They care about profits and will only have flights where money is to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by GranaryMan View Post

Air Canada is NOT a national airline. They are an airline just like United, West Jet or even American Airlines. They care about profits and will only have flights where money is to be made.
    Brilliant observation. How come Icelanair can make money? How come KLM is happy as a pig in sh*t flying to Europe from YGR? There is absolutely no reason AC could not make money flying out of Edmonton they just chose not to prioritize this market like other airlines do.

Default A little refresher

Air Canada shuts down direct flights Edmonton-to-London for 3 months
    The head of the Edmonton International Airport says he is concerned by a letter from Air Canada, saying it suspended its direct flight to London after the airport promoted Icelandair's direct flight to Reykjavik.

"When you get a letter like this from a partner as significant as Air Canada, obviously you're going to be concerned because this route is extremely important to us," said EIA president Reg Milley.

"It's important to our community, and so to receive notice from Air Canada that they were going to suspend the route was a major concern to us."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...223651?cmp=rss

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GranaryMan View Post

Brilliant observation. How come Icelanair can make money? How come KLM is happy as a pig in sh*t flying to Europe from YGR? There is absolutely no reason AC could not make money flying out of Edmonton they just chose not to prioritize this market like other airlines do.
    I dont think its a matter of making a profit at YEG, i think for Air Canada its a matter of being able to make more of a profit by using their metal in other markets such as YVR and YYC.

But does that logic apply to Air Canada's hubs ie how many current flights out of YYZ are less profitable than YEG-LHR but continue to operate because of the fact it is a major hub and part of Air Canada's overall business plan?

Surely they must have some duds coming out of YYZ that they feel they have to nurture or maintain to keep the competition out but in any other scenario would have been cancelled some time ago.

Bottom line is YEG is not in Air Canada's international or transborder business plans and will not be in the near future.

Air Canada shuts down direct flights Edmonton-to-London for 3 months
    The head of the Edmonton International Airport says he is concerned by a letter from Air Canada, saying it suspended its direct flight to London after the airport promoted Icelandair's direct flight to Reykjavik.

"When you get a letter like this from a partner as significant as Air Canada, obviously you're going to be concerned because this route is extremely important to us," said EIA president Reg Milley.

"It's important to our community, and so to receive notice from Air Canada that they were going to suspend the route was a major concern to us."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...223651?cmp=rss
    2013 article....

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    2013 article....
    That's why the post was titled "A little refresher"...
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

C2E Long Term Contributor

Air Canada cuts non-stop Edmonton-Heathrow flights for 2016

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...ights-for-2016
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Heather Hamilton was politically correct in her statement and that's disappointing while on the other hand Brad Ferguson was spot on and laid it out there as it should be.

The spokesperson for Air Canada read the party line but if the situation is so bad here why is WestJet starting flights to London in 2016.

Oh well this has been discussed forever and I am tired of it. Goodbye Air Canada.

C2E Posting Power

It was wise of Heather Hamilton not to burn bridges with Air Canada in her statement. Love 'em or hate 'em, Air Canada still accounts for a significant number of seats in the Edmonton market, and pays landing fees to EIA accordingly.

They were burned a long time ago and by Air Canada
    No Transborder routes
    No vacation routes
    No international routes

Time to say it like it is EIA

While the EIAA can't really say much above and beyond what Ms. Hamilton has said, Edmontonians can in a number of ways.

One is to contact the EIAA and ask that they not waste any further resources in trying to get AC to provide flights to YEG and instead devote such time and money to attracting competitors and marketing them.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Disappointing, but even more reason to support KLM and Iceland along with our new WJ.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

They were burned a long time ago and by Air Canada
    No Transborder routes
    No vacation routes
    No international routes

Time to say it like it is EIA
    Pretty sad and pathetic, AC won't be getting another dollar out of my family.

Heather Hamilton was politically correct in her statement and that's disappointing while on the other hand Brad Ferguson was spot on and laid it out there as it should be.

The spokesperson for Air Canada read the party line but if the situation is so bad here why is WestJet starting flights to London in 2016.

Oh well this has been discussed forever and I am tired of it. Goodbye Air Canada.
    I am tired of it as well I just don't want anyone to forget.

At the end of the day AC is following many airlines in becoming more and more hub-centric. A good example is how British Airways essentially cut all non-London originating flights a few years back.

EIA is wise not to burn bridges with AC and at the end of the day AC has a business plan to follow, but I think it's become clear to everyone now that EIA's current and future success is clearly based on our ability to court (and for the most part retain) new, non-Canadian carriers and the odd new route from WS. Hopefully EIA keeps being successful in convincing other airlines to come and take advantage of the opportunities at YEG that AC has decided not to pursue.

^ Bang on.

Time to move on.

EIA needs to aggressively pursue other airlines to fill the gaps

I am quite certain they are already doing that.

At the end of the day AC is following many airlines in becoming more and more hub-centric. A good example is how British Airways essentially cut all non-London originating flights a few years back.

EIA is wise not to burn bridges with AC and at the end of the day AC has a business plan to follow, but I think it's become clear to everyone now that EIA's current and future success is clearly based on our ability to court (and for the most part retain) new, non-Canadian carriers and the odd new route from WS. Hopefully EIA keeps being successful in convincing other airlines to come and take advantage of the opportunities at YEG that AC has decided not to pursue.
    Have not flown AC since 2007 on this route. Have to say KLM is much better in terms of price, connections, and service. Feels good that we are at a place where this has little to no impact on air service at YEG.

^ I think you think I need telling that, but actually I already said it
    Sorry Jay Bee, I actually agree with you.

My post just came directly after one of yours and was a general comment about the attitude of many on this thread thinking air Canada has it in for YEG. Wasn't referring to you all all.

If I am directly referring to the post above I always use the ol"^".

We were just booking flights to England for wedding in June and discovered Air Canada is now flying into Gatwick. Managed to scoop up round trip tickets (via Toronto) at $900 per person. Perfect for us as the wedding is in Surrey.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    We were just booking flights to England for wedding in June and discovered Air Canada is now flying into Gatwick. Managed to scoop up round trip tickets (via Toronto) at $900 per person. Perfect for us as the wedding is in Surrey.
    That is with Rouge isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    That is with Rouge isn't it?
    Tango

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678