Thread: The shrinking airline seat

Default The shrinking airline seat

So which airline ranks the best for seating?

Feeling cramped? How to battle the shrinking airline seat
    By Daisy Carrington, for CNN
    updated 8:57 AM EST, Fri November 8, 2013

"To fit in the extra seat, passengers are now facing a width that is 17 inches and in some cases as narrow as 16 inches, a state of affairs that has pushed airplane manufacturer Airbus to launch a new marketing campaign called "it's the seat." "

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/07/travel...rticle_sidebar

Why you sleep better if your plane seat is just one inch wider | Mail Online
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...nch-wider.html

Airbus Is Trying to Convince Airlines to Make More Room for Your … Behind | TIME.com

http://business.time.com/2013/11/02/...r-your-behind/

BBC News - Men's average height 'up 11cm since 1870s'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23896855

Last edited by KC; 10-11-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Talk about bassakward. Every study being done on the human form says people are getting bigger and wider (unfortunately). Enter the airline designers and make the seats smaller. That's real forward thinking.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I'd rather C2E than work!

more seats makes more money for airliners that's what they are going after.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Hey, it used to be that if I got to the airport 3 hours early for a flight I could get an exit row seat. Now I either have to pay a ton more for it, or I have to suffer being crammed into a seat where my knees dig into the seat in front of me (and have to hope the person in front doesn't put their seat back). I'd absolutely love to fly business class, but that's not affordable for most people. Being 6'8" has some advantages, but flying certainly isn't one of them.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Here's a seat pitch reference guide:
    http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/seats_global.htm
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Even the width for medium to large dog pet carriers are bigger than airline seats, L O L

http://www.dryfur.com/shipping_container_guide.htm
    Last edited by Gemini; 10-11-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Haven't flown Transat, Sunwing et al - so possibly unfair - but if you want discomfort - fly Rouge.

Yowzer
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

I flew economy in this past Oct.Upper deck on a vintage......well sort of, on a 1989 Air Pacific B744 and it had far better room than the 737 and 739's. Granted each airline stipulates the seating. However, Comparitivley speaking, AP's 744 was the best followed by WJ's 737and then Alaskan 739. It seemed the newer the craft, the less room there was. Good thing I'm only 5'9. I feel for anyone over 6 feet.
    Last edited by cnr67; 13-11-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

And Wardair left them all in the dust. *sigh*
    ... gobsmacked

Meet Morph.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    The best airline this country ever had and ever will.IMO
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

you want uncomfortable , try Ryan air , europe.

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    The best airline this country ever had and ever will.IMO
    Canadian Pacific was pretty darn good too. The three course meals with your choice of the chicken, steak or the fish served on china plates with real silver ware on a milk run to Whitehorse with stops in Grand Prairie, Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson, Watson Lake to Whitehorse. Those stewardesses had to work fast & hard to serve each course and clear everything away before landing on each short hop. The 737's could barely land on those short runways.

They also flew Edmonton direct to Europe by 747.

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by steve semchuk View Post
    you want uncomfortable , try Ryan air , europe.
    True, but they're all mercifully short hops.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

^^ Cool. I thought the dude in the CP ad was Tom Jones.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Interesting concept but not sure about implementation...
    http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/11...airline-seats/

Oh, the good old days...

The future
    Think flying economy is bad now? New aircraft design puts passengers face-to-face in rows for budget travel

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2nkJBBt3e

Like sardines in a can...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

For me personally, I think those new "standing" seats would be better. Of course I'd have to be able to move the bum thing up a lot, and it would be pretty bad for little kids.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

If you think this is a joke, well it's not.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...se-toilet.html

They'd better be charging a lot less for those torture racks.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Maybe someday they will be able to just knock everyone out with gas and stack them like boxes on a FED EX plane.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The Telegraph

Seatbelts on planes are pointless, says Ryanair boss

Those wishing to fly on holiday should instead be permitted to stand at the back on a plane, which he considers to be “just a b----- bus with wings”.

Mr O’Leary, the chief executive of budget airline Ryanair, dismissed the notion seatbelts were an essential safety requirement, saying: “If there ever was a crash on an aircraft, God forbid, a seatbelt won’t save you.”

"Seatbelts don't matter,” he proclaimed.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

^ Presumably turbulence doesn't happen to Ryanair planes. What a tool.

O'Leary walks into a bar in Dublin and asks for a Guinness. The barman says "Certainly Sir, that'll be tree pounds", opens the bottle and places it on the bar.

"You forgot the glass," says O'Leary.
    "Oh, so I did", replies the barman. "That'll be another five pounds, then."
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    The Telegraph

Those wishing to fly on holiday should instead be permitted to stand at the back on a plane, which he considers to be “just a b----- bus with wings”.

Mr O’Leary, the chief executive of budget airline Ryanair, dismissed the notion seatbelts were an essential safety requirement, saying: “If there ever was a crash on an aircraft, God forbid, a seatbelt won’t save you.”

I think it mattered to the lucky to be alive passengers of flight 243 after landing successfully following an “explosive decompression” in flight. 1988. Only one flight attendant lost her life, the other 94 people survived.

Remind me not to fly Ryanair with a CEO who has such disregard for safety and the many passengers who survived countless 'unsurvivable' crashes. I wonder if O'Leary cut off the seat belts from his car?

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    The Telegraph

O'Leary's a money grabbing tool, it's only a matter of time before he suggests strapping the luggage to the roof of the plane so he can stuff more passengers in the hold.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

^ off topic but IMHO, most highly paid CEO's are money grabbing tools that are more interested in shaving costs and outsourcing, to bolster their stock options and golden parachutes than building a strong, well managed company.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Maybe someday they will be able to just knock everyone out with gas and stack them like boxes on a FED EX plane.
    Two words: cryogenic freezing
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

one visual

In the advent of a crash O'Leary is probably right a seatbelt will not make much of a difference, just too many G-forces to endure. They do help in low speed incidents when taxiing or approaching a gate too fast, perhaps hard landings. Still Ryanair ranks as #1 ... worst airline
    http://www.businessinsider.com/worst...d-2010-12?op=1

And yet another idea...
    http://www.wired.com/design/2013/12/...irplane-seats/
    Last edited by sundance; 30-12-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    ^ Presumably turbulence doesn't happen to Ryanair planes. What a tool.

O'Leary walks into a bar in Dublin and asks for a Guinness. The barman says "Certainly Sir, that'll be tree pounds", opens the bottle and places it on the bar.

"You forgot the glass," says O'Leary.
    "Oh, so I did", replies the barman. "That'll be another five pounds, then."
    I think you have to look at the constant provocative statements of this CEO in context of his operation.

He is really serving to force a conversation on all aspects of air travel. This is not the first statement of such nature that he has made. Conversations and throwing around new ideas is never bad. Even if the ideas are bad. you never know what may come out of it.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Oh, the good old days...

Are these the same old days that cause Pam Am to Tank? That saw female flight attendants exposed to harassment, weigh ins and forced to wear gurdles. So the question needs to be asked.. Good old days for whom?

Adjusted for inflation the cost of these tickets in today's dollars would have been very expensive (First class expensive). (I just looked it up) The common middle class could not afford to fly.

So yes bemoan the gold old days but realized that if it was the good old days we would be taking the bus/train and the cost of those seats above would be equal to 1st class today.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 30-12-2013 at 12:56 PM.

From a fit-person perspective, these shrinking seats just mean more opportunity for the mega jumbo lard butt next to me to spill into my seat. On one of my last flights, the extremely large lady next to me was nearly taking up more of my seat than I was.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance
    In the advent of a crash O'Leary is probably right a seatbelt will not make much of a difference, just too many G-forces to endure. They do help in low speed incidents when taxiing or approaching a gate too fast, perhaps hard landings. Still Ryanair ranks as #1 ... worst airline
    Seatbelts in planes are mostly about in-air turbulence, not crashes. It would be extremely unsafe to have "standing room" tickets, unless people were wearing some sort of harness to prevent them from pinballing in to each other when the plane hits some weather. I think someone invented that already, and called it a "seat."

The Secret Business of Cheap Airplane Seats: Video - Bloomberg

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/the-s...kmrZ4dxTw.html

Airbus plane seat patent application: These horrifying seats are a good idea for tall passengers.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...pisrc=obinsite

I was told at one time that going on a plane was just as big a part of the holiday as the actual holiday. People got pampered and service was good even in economy. Now the whole aspect of plane travel is a nightmare. Long line ups, security clearances, delays and that's before you even leave the airport. Then you are herded onto a plane, tethered onto a seat, squished up against cripes knows who for a 2,6, 8, 10 hour trip and get charged an exorbitant prices to be treated like a sardine for the duration.

^ Excellent summary.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Crap, I had thought of something very similar about 5 or 6 years ago while jammed into a coach seat. Guess I should have written it down and filed a patent!

I think these new seats would be amazing for someone of my height.

C2E SME

^ Excellent summary.
    Perhaps, but only if you ignore the actual facts about the economics of airplane travel:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...oticed/273506/

I'm sure we would all be pampered if we were willing to pay double for flights like we used to:

The fact is, the buying public has been getting what it asked for: ever cheaper flights, to the exclusion of all else.

To me I think in sardine class the reclining angle should be limited, it would be nice to have the seat detect if the one behind you is empty, but that would add more cost, complexity and weight into the seats. So I guess it is up to the flight attendants to advise people to be courteous.
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2...t-recline.html

"Knee defenders" and a new kneeing seat for tall passengers are now in the news.

I travel with an anti-reclining "feature" with me at all times - unfortunately they're my knees.

Airbus plane seat patent application: These horrifying seats are a good idea for tall passengers.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...good_idea.html

I've encountered some really inconsiderate people on flights. People who would talk incessantly so you cannot rest. Noisy toddlers, are the worst of course. Wide bodied people and people who take up both arm rests the entire flight.

The people with noisy kids should pay a premium and or else be seated in an area with a dome of silence.

I was travelling alone on an 8 hours flight and was one of the first on the plane. I sat down and was watching everybody else board. It seemed every tenth person that walked on was a kid between the ages of 3 to 9. Then there were a about 3 couples boarded with babies/toddlers. I'm thinking there could be one big racket on this plane at some point in the flight. Man, those kids were good. Heard the babies cry a couple of times but none of the older kids got into any temper tantrums. In fact, I have been on flights where the adults have caused more ruckus than the kids.

I'd pay a premium for an adult only flight.

I had to laugh when EDP mentioned wearing a girdle and adjusted for inflation in the same breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    ^ Excellent summary.
    Perhaps, but only if you ignore the actual facts about the economics of airplane travel:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...oticed/273506/

I'm sure we would all be pampered if we were willing to pay double for flights like we used to:

The fact is, the buying public has been getting what it asked for: ever cheaper flights, to the exclusion of all else.
    Exactly!

Seatbelts in planes are mostly about in-air turbulence, not crashes. It would be extremely unsafe to have "standing room" tickets, unless people were wearing some sort of harness to prevent them from pinballing in to each other when the plane hits some weather. I think someone invented that already, and called it a "seat."
    Actually the seats and seat belts are rated for fairly severe crashes and are proven to have saved lives many times.

In some cases survivors have even been found still belted in their seats, with the seats no longer in the aircraft as the airframe disintegrated.

But if we were to truly focus on crash safety we would be doing what Canadair did back on the early 60s....turn the seats so you are facing to the rear. Spreads the G load the body has to endure and carries many other safety benefits.

It was discontinued because passengers didn't like it.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    I'd pay a premium for an adult only flight.
    Funny. I like life and that includes kids, teens, adults and seniors. (Never much cared for the screaming at hockey games, etc. but again - that's real life. If I go where people gather, I can expect people of all ages to behave in some way that is irritating to others - I usually find it amusing and interesting however. Long before we had a kid I enjoyed them being around, even screaming. It's real life.

Since I've long had to politely put up with listening to whining adults complain about their flights with kids we made sure we had movies and toys etc with us and so when we travelled with kids most of the adults around us were rather entertained by their presence. When a baby cries, on takeoff and landing I wonder if it isn't the change in air pressure. I've had times where it's felt like someone driving spikes up my nostrils - so I have some empathy towards a child that can't speak.

Plus, an adult only flight may have to have military escorts bring you back home. Not so with kids.

Air Travel 101: bring headphones (anything from earbuds up to powered active noise cancelling) and a sound-generating device (anything from an old cassette walkman to a phone or tablet), or earplugs.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Off topic but, any recommendations on noise cancelling headphones?

I've only ever used the airline supplied buds and I hate having to crank up the volume to overcome the engine noise.

I have some Bose Quiet Comfort 2s, and they're awesome. They take up a ton of room which is one reason I don't really travel with them anymore, but they worked well. Turn them on during a flight and you can hear the noise get sucked away. The new ones are smaller.

I use canalphones in general vs earbuds or headphones. Much better sound isolation, but some people find them uncomfortable. I find most comfort issues can be assuaged through finding the right tip & size for your ear.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I have some Bose Quiet Comfort 2s, t and you can hear the noise get sucked away.
    I'll second this, I made the mistake of purchasing a cheaper imitator, its useless compared to my gf's Bose. If you want noise isolation, then Bose is the way to go. The Beat noise isolation ones are supposed to be OK as well, but not as good on the noise isolation.

C2E SME

Buy Other Sound Equipment.

Sennheiser will get you better performance for less money. And agreed on canal phones. My Sennheiser CX300's are fairly inexpensive, block out most external sound (they double as ear plugs), and sound great.

http://www.engadget.com/products/sennheiser/cx/300/ii/

You don't however get a giant "B" logo that you can color coordinate with.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 05-09-2014 at 01:55 PM.

^That's not a noise cancelling headphone, that will give you silence on aircraft without music for sleeping or similar. There are other brands that are good, but the good ones cost $:

http://www.cnet.com/topics/headphone...ise-canceling/
    Last edited by moahunter; 05-09-2014 at 02:08 PM.

^This reminded me: I was in a store the other week and a sales guy suggested that I could just buy regular ear protectors and put ear buds under them.

I asked him where he'd learned about that trick and I said he didn't think he'd heard it anywhere - it just came to him as he talked with me. I had to congratulate him on thinking outside the box (or is it, outside the Bose).

I've always preferred passive isolation to active noise cancellation, FWIW. Less complicated means less to go wrong or maintain.

My UE900s are the best sounding canalphones I've used & I can change the tips to cater to increased sound dampening at the cost of making them a little harder to take in & out. I use different tips at work, for instance, as I've gotta pull my headphones out at a moment's notice when someone comes by my desk, versus on a flight where I'm far less likely to get random interruptions.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^This reminded me: I was in a store the other week and a sales guy suggested that I could just buy regular ear protectors and put ear buds under them.

I asked him where he'd learned about that trick and I said he didn't think he'd heard it anywhere - it just came to him as he talked with me. I had to congratulate him on thinking outside the box (or is it, outside the Bose).
    Long ago, when I was running an old combine or tractor on my Dad's farm, I would use that trick To give you an idea of the time period, one of the things I listened to was reruns of Star Trek: the Next Generation recorded on an audio cassette recorder

Anyways, a conventional pair of noise-protection ear muffs allowed me to hear my radio or tape over the clatter of the engine and various mechanisms of the farm equipment; if it worked for that, you should be able to dampen the noise of the plane well. It works best with older-fashioned ear buds or modern in-ear buds; anything bigger, and you'll compromise the seal of the ear muffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post

Long ago, when I was running an old combine or tractor on my Dad's farm, I would use that trick To give you an idea of the time period, one of the things I listened to was reruns of Star Trek: the Next Generation recorded on an audio cassette recorder

Anyways, a conventional pair of noise-protection ear muffs allowed me to hear my radio or tape over the clatter of the engine and various mechanisms of the farm equipment; if it worked for that, you should be able to dampen the noise of the plane well. It works best with older-fashioned ear buds or modern in-ear buds; anything bigger, and you'll compromise the seal of the ear muffs.

Obviously, necessity is the mother of invention. Star trek - very apropos.
    In a tractor out on a field is fine, but I think I'll just buy a pair of superficially appropriate noise cancelling headphones rather than run the risk of public ridicule (for wearing "industrial" ear-muffs) by the guy behind me getting even for me tilting my seat back into his poor little defenceless knees.

Sigh welcome to sardine class ...
    http://www.wired.com/2015/04/oh-good...ngers-one-row/

^Luckily just the 380. As I posted in another thread, the 380 is probably going to be the last commercial jet designed with more than two engines, nobody is buying them now, the market has gone to the 777, a plane only possible thanks to modern engine technology. Very bad bet by Airbus.

I often wonder if the economy class seat is shrinking at the expense of making first class seats bigger.

And just when you think it can't get any worse ...

We Cannot Allow This Awful Idea for Airplane Seating to Become Real
    http://gizmodo.com/we-cannot-allow-t...-to-1716748515

Bad enough being treated as cattle, now they want to treat us as sardines.

thetravelinsider.info

Wow, that's hilarious. Notice in the drawing that the passengers knees are pressed right up against the seat in front of them? That's how I fly now... I wouldn't even fit into one of these seats.

What are they talking about? It's not so bad. In fact its day has come. No one looks up anymore or makes eye contact with ANYONE anymore. Everyone's eyes are glued to their screens, so any configuration will now work just fine.

After you, KC.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Long Term Contributor

Perhaps it is time that we consider shrinking the passenger.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Ian, if you find a non-surgical way to shrink my height, please let me know! Being this tall sucks when flying (and buying pants).

Besides people getting fatter than in the 70's , people are getting taller and hips are wider. Meanwhile, seats are getting smaller.

If you are a frequent flyer they must assume you are getting thinner because they don't feed you.

highlander

On the plus side, my knees are a built in "seat defender". It's impossible for the person in front to recline once I'm sitting down.

I am getting myself a pair of Knee Defenders

Bob Newhart said it best

The Grace L. Ferguson and Storm Door Company

Everybody who uses a knee defender should be sure to lend one to the person behind them as well.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Probably the worst kept secret ... forget the 1st class travel pods and suites, you're more likely to see 11 across seating.
    http://www.wired.com/2015/04/oh-good...ngers-one-row/

^desperation move, as nobody is buying 4 engine jets anymore (aside from 747 freight variants). That trulely looks horrific.

I can see this happening, with children or larger people it might work out better then the current seats.

Bench Seating Is the Latest Idea to Make Flying Even More Horrible
    http://www.wired.com/2016/02/bench-s...more-horrible/

You would think airlines would hold off on trying to cram as many people as possible into a tubular steel object. What with the price of fuel at low prices you would think there would be seat sales advertised in every paper. If we are going into an age of lower fuel prices you would also think they would hold off on these cost cutting measures and try to make air travel as comfortable as possible again. I was told that years ago if you went on holiday on a plane the ride was just as pleasant a part of the holiday itself. Now most passenger planes are just a slight rung up from cattle cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    You would think airlines would hold off on trying to cram as many people as possible into a tubular steel object. What with the price of fuel at low prices you would think there would be seat sales advertised in every paper. If we are going into an age of lower fuel prices you would also think they would hold off on these cost cutting measures and try to make air travel as comfortable as possible again. I was told that years ago if you went on holiday on a plane the ride was just as pleasant a part of the holiday itself. Now most passenger planes are just a slight rung up from cattle cars.

"Pleasant". "You would think" - but you'd be wrong.

There's a high "demand" for seats these days.

Fly United, we beat the competition and our customers!

Twitter
    "Board as doctors, leave as patients"
    "We will seat you, beat you, and blame you for our overbookings"
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have reached the Bruising Altitude"
    "Volunteer, or we'll make you volunteer"

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 11-04-2017 at 08:33 AM.

You have been selected for re-accommodation.

First Trump and now United - its no longer just the ugly American but now it's the ugly USA.

Air Canada over book all the time! They often don't have room. Its not a US problem.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

United has a history of terrible customer service. This video went viral in 2009, after it came out United supposedly turned it's customer service culture around.
    Obviously they didn't.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    Air Canada over book all the time! They often don't have room. Its not a US problem.
    I read that West Jet is the only airline in North American that doesn't. I can live with overbooking, but they have to compensate properly then (no forced off), and do it before people board the plane, not after.

Last week, due to storms, Delta customers got bumped and we're offered up to $1,400 per person to delay one day. One family traveling on vacation took the offer. When they arrived on Sunday, they were again offered to be bumped to Monday. They accepted and then canceled their trio and pocketed a total of $11,000 USD to not take Delta. A profitable situation for the family who choose to take their holidays in the summer.

^ is it $11K in cash or United travel vouchers?
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

I had heard the story on CBC news.

Here is a detailed account

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe.../#65477d2b4de1

Thought this was worth sharing for a different perspective on United's mess.

BTW, laws in Canada are pretty much the same.

https://thepilotwifelife.wordpress.c...t-flight-3411/

IMO

^ So tired of seeing 9/11 used as a justification for overzealous law enforcement. The terrorists just keep on winning. Also tired of the "they did nothing wrong, odious business practice xyz was included in the very long list of conditions of sale" excuse. Just because it is legal doesn't make it right. If you sell a service and later find yourself unable to provide that service, you need to make things right with the customer. In this case, that would have been offering increasing incentives until enough people volunteered to get off the plane, or finding an alternate crew arrangement. Yes, that could get costly, but it is a cost of doing business. If airlines are not willing to do this themselves, then it is time for governments to force them to.

United Airlines putting the hospital back in hospitality.

Dr. Dao the guy who was dragged off United's flight has a broken nose and lost two teeth.
    Puts a whole new meaning on fly the friendly sky's.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...-teeth-lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    ^ So tired of seeing 9/11 used as a justification for overzealous law enforcement. The terrorists just keep on winning. .
    I agree. Overzealous brownshirts wannabe mall cops.

Thank God that we all have cell phones that can record the event and instill justice. Little Brother is looking back at Big Brother tactics.

A few years ago I was coming back from an overseas trip and had a 4 hour stop over in Toronto. After going to the gate for my flight to Edmonton the agent said I was on stand by. I told her my trip had been booked four months in advance so how come. She said that the computers were down therefore no record of me being on the overseas flight. Should not be my problem I told her. The seat was paid for and it was mine. She said in the case of over booking somebody could have bought the same seat. Anyway, she then proceeded to do that to a couple of other people. Everybody had boarded then the three of us were told (after waiting 10 or so minutes) that we could board. All this being done with an air of 'we don't care attitude' from the airline staff.