Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108
Results 10,701 to 10,779 of 10779

Thread: Rogers Place - Arena | Entertainment & Sports Facility | Completed

C2E Continued Contributor

Rogers Place was the 77th busiest arena for concerts in the world in 2017 with 256,850 tickets sold.

https://www.pollstar.com/Chart/2018/...Venues_628.pdf

This is a big drop, Rexall Place was 44th in 2015 with 374,684 tickets sold.

https://www.pollstarpro.com/files/ch...renaVenues.pdf

C2E Long Term Contributor

One big factor in that drop is that all of last year both arenas were open and hosting concerts and events.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Rogers Place was the 77th busiest arena for concerts in the world in 2017 with 256,850 tickets sold.

Good thing we built that expensive new arena...

In some cases ticket prices at Rogers are horrendous. Wonder how much this has to do with it.

Rexall was an excellent turnkey facility and with pretty good event turnover time and tons of bookings.

Quarter million concert tickets sold over the year is really not all that impressive. A fair proportion of those was Garth Brooks.

Some questioning should go on about this and nor does the operation of Rexall have much to do with this. what act that played Rexall would have alternately appeared at Rogers?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

This doesn't tell the whole picture because in Rogers there are a lot of premium seating (Chairman's Club, Theatre Boxes, Regular Boxes, Loge Level), so the actual seating numbers may be somewhat lower but in terms of days booked Rogers definitely is busier than Rexall. Looking at actual ticket numbers is not a proper barometer.

C2E SME

2017 was essentially a partial year, given that Rexall was continuing to operate. This isn't a difficult concept to understand, unless you have an agenda of taking a dump on absolutely everything (see #10703). 2018 will be the first full year where a comparison could be made to Rexall's numbers prior to Roger's opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    Some questioning should go on about this and nor does the operation of Rexall have much to do with this. what act that played Rexall would have alternately appeared at Rogers?
    Going forward, all of them. Pretty simple.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I think you have to give another year before you can make too many assumptions. I know I attended 8 concerts at Rexall in 2016 and they had pretty outrageous ticket prices as well. I never spent less than $250.00 per ticket and four times over $400.00 so it adds up when you're taking your GF as well. The more expensive tickets were floor but the Fleetwood Mac with McVie were $550 each and that was about 25 rows back. Even John Fogerty was over 400. I have yet to attend a concert at Rogers but I gave my GF $1000 at Christmas and said this is for a Roger's concert although I think she is trying to change the terms and use it and her air miles for ELO in Toronto (I hate them but she loves them). My point is that I don't think price has as much to do with it as much as actually having acts that tempt people and from my point of view this varies wildly from year to year because I either had no interest or scheduling problems with Rogers events. I would actually like to see attendance figures that include Oilers and Oil Kings as well because I think this would tell a different story about venue use.

Something's odd with those numbers and not just for Edmonton. They have the Saddledome at only 80,326 whereas Garth Broooks alone sold 101,000 tickets for his shows there.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/garth-bro...hows-1.3523181

I call into question the validity of the data.

^maybe, but I'm not really surprised there has been a drop off given the economy. People are more cautious, I'd love to go to a few more concerts, but I struggle to justify the prices some artists are asking (like the Eagles).

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post

Something's odd with those numbers and not just for Edmonton. They have the Saddledome at only 80,326 whereas Garth Broooks alone sold 101,000 tickets for his shows there.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/garth-bro...hows-1.3523181

I call into question the validity of the data.
    Concur. I would say top 50, but barely. We are usually around Vancouver and lower than Montreal.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Moa The Eagles are probably my favorite band of all time but with Frey gone, replaced by his son, and having seen them twice before I would hesitate to pay those prices as well. I really didn't think they were all that great in concert either being very laid back and without the studio sound / enhancements. Aerosmith was probably my favorite concert in Edmonton when they played here right after 9 11 but I have seen them twice since and they fell to the bottom of my acts to see list after those performances so any one concert can be really iffy. I have just been trying to knock off all of my bucket list shows (retired a few months ago) and am not worrying too much about the money but really want to see good performances for the money. I also grew up when rock and roll was king and don't like hip hop, rap or a lot of the music in general these days so finding concerts that appeal to me is becoming harder and harder as the old guys die off (saw Tom Petty in 2016 so my timing and concert was good there).

^Thanks, I almost saw Don Henley a couple of years ago but it got rained off. That makes sense on the Eagles though, I can imagine they wouldn't be the best live performer, as amazing and meaningful as the music is (how many bands today write songs, like "after the thrill has gone" about couples becoming indifferent / double meaning the band becoming boring, versus just the standard in-love / break up stuff?).
    Last edited by moahunter; 05-01-2018 at 03:22 PM.

It also depends on how many tours took place that year as well. Some years will have more acts touring than others, but as some alluded, it was split between two arenas, so I think that is quite excellent imo. 77 in the world , and in the US alone, There are probably 30+ cities with population larger than Edmonton let alone Europe, South America, Asia, and so forth. I still think that is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilers99 View Post
    This doesn't tell the whole picture because in Rogers there are a lot of premium seating (Chairman's Club, Theatre Boxes, Regular Boxes, Loge Level), so the actual seating numbers may be somewhat lower but in terms of days booked Rogers definitely is busier than Rexall. Looking at actual ticket numbers is not a proper barometer.
    Wait, what? The main purpose of a civically funded arena is being of some benefit to the public. If the blue blood design of it is so precious that attendance is down than that's failing its missive to be a service for Edmontonians. Period.

not that it should be the case. The design is supposed to be able to seat more people for concerts than Rexall did.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    It also depends on how many tours took place that year as well. Some years will have more acts touring than others, but as some alluded, it was split between two arenas, so I think that is quite excellent imo. 77 in the world , and in the US alone, There are probably 30+ cities with population larger than Edmonton let alone Europe, South America, Asia, and so forth. I still think that is outstanding.
    How is it outstanding for Rogers Place to have appreciably worse pollstar numbers than Rexall had?

Also just to put to bed the fictionary notion that the continuance of Rexall Place adversely impacted Rogers Place numbers how is this the case?

These are the concert events held in Rexall place in 2017;

https://www.songkick.com/venues/3391...eum/gigography

So 4 listed concert events, none of which would have appeared at Rogers Place or made much difference in any case. (The Kenny Rogers show btw was 2016) I've also taken the time to cross reference that these were the only concerts held at Rexall in 2017;

So the Rogers place pollstar numbers are just bad, and for none of the stated reasons expressed on this board. Which is curious because invariably an arenas first year of operations usually features its highest ticket sales, volumes, impact etc.

That Rogers place moved LESS concert ticket sales than Rexall did is sad, disappointing performance, and requires some explanations by OEG. Which doesn't seem to be forthcoming.

Nor is the picture getting any brighter in 2018. These are the listed events (a couple of these are not even concerts, and 3 of them are past events)

http://www.rogersplace.com/upcoming-events/

So by my count 14 Concert bookings there and some of those being half arena type promotions. WWE was cancelled. Even if these averaged say 14K that's under 200K in concert ticket sales. About halfway of what the New facility should be offering when one looks at comparable facilities like T-Mobile arena getting almost twice as much concert numbers than Rogers Place.

Should be mentioned as well that in 1 of the events held at Rogers Place that were sold out, for instance Lady Gaga, the Pollstar sold out figure being reported is 15,002. (Rogers Place site lists 20K for concerts but that is a figure that is for a hypothetical in the round show which rarely occurs. Most shows of course can't sell all seats due to where stage is configured. ) The interesting thing about the 15,002 figure is its in the range of Rexall for concerts.

Finally, not sure if mentioned but 21 NHL arenas are posting better concert numbers than Rogers Place. That's a concern in itself given that these are comparable facilities and that Edmonton, prior, had not been considered a small market when it came to concert ticket sales. Edmonton has always punched above its weight, except with this Rogers Place facility. So questions should be asked.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-01-2018 at 07:37 AM.

This is interesting too. A lack of attendance disclosure is often a sign that ticket sales were disappointing. Guess which venue, in the entire tour, the only one, refused to post attendance to the Lionel Richie/Mariah Carey All the Hits tour;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_th..._Mariah_Carey)

Nor has Rogers Place posted official attendance numbers for any concert event.

I mention this because its a show the wife dragged me to and so I was there, and saw the thousands of empty seats. The tour also averaged just over 10K. But the Edmonton show probably had less numbers than the other Canadian shows on the tour.

In anycase why is Rogers Place not posting concert attendance numbers and we're only getting Pollstar tallies? If their numbers differed at all one would expect there would be rebuttal by now from Rogers Place/OEG.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    This is interesting too. A lack of attendance disclosure is often a sign that ticket sales were disappointing. Guess which venue, in the entire tour, the only one, refused to post attendance to the Lionel Richie/Mariah Carey All the Hits tour;

I mention this because its a show the wife dragged me to and so I was there, and saw the thousands of empty seats. The tour also averaged just over 10K. But the Edmonton show probably had less numbers than the other Canadian shows on the tour.

In anycase why is Rogers Place not posting concert attendance numbers and we're only getting Pollstar tallies? If their numbers differed at all one would expect there would be rebuttal by now from Rogers Place/OEG.
    Hit the nail on the head dude.....We suck, Edmonton sucks, Rogers sucks and OEG sucks!!!!!! Smash "er down and lets go back to Rexall! Where are you going with this?! You crack me up!!!!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Because everything is now more expensive, including the rent the acts must pay for using it. High costs all around for everybody is the turn off. It was a mistake to turn everything over to OEG. Should have kept the coliseum going. Without the no compete agreement for Katz it still would have drawn a lot of concerts and we would still have CFR. It would still pay for itself plus would be great for tournaments to have both. Stupidity imo
    Last edited by Drumbones; 11-01-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Because everything is now more expensive, including the rent the acts must pay for using it. High costs all around for everybody is the turn off. It was a mistake to turn everything over to OEG. Should have kept the coliseum going. Without the no compete agreement for Katz it still would have drawn a lot of concerts and we would still have CFR. It would still pay for itself plus would be great for tournaments to have both. Stupidity imo
    Agreed. Rexall was a turnkey operation that cost less to operate and that requires less draw to reach break even. It was actually punching at a higher level in ticket sales than the present arena, built at considerable cost.

More, as suspected the Concert industry continues to decline overall. There are less and less acts capable of filling todays arena's.

Keep in mind as well that Most big Arena's have two primary big league tenants. For instance an NHL team and a NBA team. This is significant as the binary tenants provide more than twice the revenue, sales, than an NHL team alone does.

So that we build this arena for one tenant (who does this) (Oil Kings in terms of sales don't even warrant mention, many other arenas would have a third regular booking that is more significant) and whatever low Pollstar numbers we are getting. So that a major facility with 2 big league tenants, other events, healthy pollstar numbers can get in excess of 3M ticket sales/yr.

Rogers Place might not be getting even 1.5M

Agreed. Rexall was a turnkey operation that cost less to operate and that requires less draw to reach break even. It was actually punching at a higher level in ticket sales than the present arena, built at considerable cost.

More, as suspected the Concert industry continues to decline overall. There are less and less acts capable of filling todays arena's.

Keep in mind as well that Most big Arena's have two primary big league tenants. For instance an NHL team and a NBA team. This is significant as the binary tenants provide more than twice the revenue, sales, than an NHL team alone does.

So that we build this arena for one tenant (who does this) (Oil Kings in terms of sales don't even warrant mention, many other arenas would have a third regular booking that is more significant) and whatever low Pollstar numbers we are getting. So that a major facility with 2 big league tenants, other events, healthy pollstar numbers can get in excess of 3M ticket sales/yr.

Rexall had its golden years, but was also a 40 year old building and was probably soon due for major maintenance which would have added considerably to the cost.

That's a really great question. Given that the the arena is notionally owned by the City of Edmonton (whence, by extension, owned by the citizens of Edmonton) and is allegedly being paid for (in part) by a ticket surcharge one would think attendance should be a matter of public record and such data easily attainable. Alas, the riddle wrapped up in an enigma that is the relationship between the Katz Group and the City of Edmonton means this isn't the case.

Because the management company is now a private corporation as opposed to a public non-profit.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Because the management company is now a private corporation as opposed to a public non-profit.
    So we'll never know if the ticket surcharge revenue is meeting forecasts?

There have been numbers for a few shows last year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Se...ing_World_Tour (74% sold for John Mayer - $583,674)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Head...of_Dreams_Tour (100% sold for two nights Coldplay - $3,003,657)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24K_Magic_World_Tour (100% sold for two nights Bruno Mars - $2,957,232)

I'm sure if you search for more they are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

Rexall had its golden years, but was also a 40 year old building and was probably soon due for major maintenance which would have added considerably to the cost.
    Basically some roof repair and a new ice plant if it was to continue to have good ice. I am privy to the expected lifespan of Rexall being much more than 40years as my family worked in Construction of the Coliseum. My father had ongoing contact with the architects and engineers involved in the project. At the time arena facilties were engineered to last 80-100yrs. Also, The Edmonton Coliseum, from what I recall was a very similar blueprint to several other arenas that were built before it (I believe 5) including Nassau Coliseum, Pacific Coliseum, Inglewood coliseum. Despite some minor exterior differences these are all the same basic blueprint and they were all build before the Edmonton Coliseum and were not reporting significant problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Se...ing_World_Tour (74% sold for John Mayer - $583,674)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Head...of_Dreams_Tour (100% sold for two nights Coldplay - $3,003,657)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24K_Magic_World_Tour (100% sold for two nights Bruno Mars - $2,957,232)

Keeping in mind I specifically stated that Rogers Place is not releasing numbers. Other facilities often do. The numbers I have been able to find are almost always pollstar numbers. The Wikipedia numbers, in cases where they are cited are usually Pollstar obtained numbers. Occasionally an artist themselves release numbers. But as per the tour I mentioned Rogers Place was the only one not to release numbers.

I found several numbers already, either Pollstar of artists release of concert ticket sales. Surprisingly Roger Waters didn't do too well here. Average of 10-12K/show depending on using the artist, or Pollstar numbers. That same 2 show set used to sellout at Rexall Place.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-01-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Keeping in mind I specifically stated that Rogers Place is not releasing numbers. Other facilities often do. The numbers I have been able to find are almost always pollstar numbers. The Wikipedia numbers, in cases where they are cited are usually Pollstar obtained numbers. Occasionally an artist themselves release numbers. But as per the tour I mentioned Rogers Place was the only one not to release numbers.
    Pollstar data is garbage as it has been pointed out above for Calgary numbers being out of sorts relative to what Garth Brooks sold there. I'm guessing they don't count sports related events? If there were 41 games in a season and a full calendar year, and most were close to sold out, you'd have 738k alone. 762k for sold out. Regardless, the three shows I posted alone are about 50k in sales. Garth Brooks in Edmonton was 115k alone.

Pollstar data is garbage as it has been pointed out above for Calgary numbers being out of sorts relative to what Garth Brooks sold there. I'm guessing they don't count sports related events? If there were 41 games in a season and a full calendar year, and most were close to sold out, you'd have 738k alone. 762k for sold out. Regardless, the three shows I posted alone are about 50k in sales. Garth Brooks in Edmonton was 115k alone.
    Without even realizing it you posted "garbage" pollstar citations above. What do you think the sources for those wikis usually are?

Pollstar numbers are actual tickets sold of concert events. Period. I'm not sure why they are "garbage" its the cited publication world wide for these numbers and the essential source. The publication that everybody refers to for concert numbers. Given its their business I'm not sure how you are so convinced their numbers are so inaccurate. Other than the Brooks shows there was around 30 concerts at Rogers Place last year. Several of those being half arena shows. The Brooks shows were essentially sold out at 9 shows. A lot of the other shows at Rogers were not. Some of the shows scheduled for Rogers were cancelled as well. For instance Halsey and afairc WWE.

Also, if you could keep up with the thread I just had made the point that most significant NA arenas have two primary big league tenants, i.e. NBA, and NHL, the Oilers have just one primary tenant, and the negligible Oil Kings. The better draw facilities have in excess of 3M tickets sold/yr all in. Just for perspective.

We've built a Barclays, T-Mobile level of arena here but with far less to show for it.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-01-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Higher cost, but a bette experience and value proposition. While I loved Recall, it was a relatively low quality experience.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Higher cost, but a bette experience and value proposition. While I loved Recall, it was a relatively low quality experience.
    The primary experience I have in the upper bowl is how deplorable the facilities, user experience, and ugly the roof is when not thinking about the stupendous cost of this White Elephant. Nor is having to ride the escalator all the way to the top then walk down the exceedingly steep stairs a reasonable level of access. It takes anybody on upper level far longer to get in and out of facility, to washrooms, concessions etc. With what meager concessions are available to people on the top concourse.

Value?

I go in the north entrance, hop up that stairway to heaven, grab a snack and a beer and hit 217 very easily. Washrooms are essentially right behind us and with the expansion of the urinals it works much better now at intermission, although not perfect. The large bar in the NW corner serves us well.

I often stop on the main concourse pre-game/concert for some better food options and enjoy the different scenery and seating.

While there are some elements of Rogers that I would have done differently, 217 certainly works well in most regards versus the comparable 216 in Rexall.
    www.decl.org

The upper bowl at Rogers is awful. IanO even you have to admit despite your described experience in the upper bowl, it is a very poor set up.

A large number of people that I know, that had season tickets in the upper bowl last year has moved to the lower bowl.

When we were in 207, I would wholeheartedly agree, but 217 works much better. That said, it is far from ideal up there.
    www.decl.org

Sat in 217 for the game against San Jose and it was pretty sweet. My only complaints are that there's never enough leg room, and the line for the escalator after the game was slightly ridiculous. That said, I probably should have just turned the other way and taken the stairs.

Didn't wait too long for beer, bathrooms, or snacks. Gotta pick your spots though.

Without even realizing it you posted "garbage" pollstar citations above. What do you think the sources for those wikis usually are?

Pollstar numbers are actual tickets sold of concert events. Period. I'm not sure why they are "garbage" its the cited publication world wide for these numbers and the essential source. The publication that everybody refers to for concert numbers. Given its their business I'm not sure how you are so convinced their numbers are so inaccurate. Other than the Brooks shows there was around 30 concerts at Rogers Place last year. Several of those being half arena shows. The Brooks shows were essentially sold out at 9 shows. A lot of the other shows at Rogers were not. Some of the shows scheduled for Rogers were cancelled as well. For instance Halsey and afairc WWE.

Also, if you could keep up with the thread I just had made the point that most significant NA arenas have two primary big league tenants, i.e. NBA, and NHL, the Oilers have just one primary tenant, and the negligible Oil Kings. The better draw facilities have in excess of 3M tickets sold/yr all in. Just for perspective.

We've built a Barclays, T-Mobile level of arena here but with far less to show for it.
    The Brooks shows, plus two Coldplay and Bruno Mars shows, as well as the John Mayer show, take the numbers closer to 170-180k. The numbers are from Billboard Boxscore, not Pollstar by the way, so no, I did not post Pollstar numbers. Billboard Boxscore is a major competitor to Pollstar in the North American market for stats on events. Please, do try to correct me again though.

We all get that you hate Rogers Place and Katz; your post history shows it, but no need to take a dump on the rest of us via your own ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Sat in 217 for the game against San Jose and it was pretty sweet. My only complaints are that there's never enough leg room, and the line for the escalator after the game was slightly ridiculous. That said, I probably should have just turned the other way and taken the stairs.

Didn't wait too long for beer, bathrooms, or snacks. Gotta pick your spots though.
    Definitely take the stairs down post-event.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Yeah, I think people complaining about the upper bowl are operating on outdated information. We'll see how it is in the playoffs (haha), but I've sat in the upper bowl a couple times this year and it's seemed quite a bit better for lines for washrooms and food. And I never had any concern about the seating.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Yeah, I think people complaining about the upper bowl are operating on outdated information. We'll see how it is in the playoffs (haha), but I've sat in the upper bowl a couple times this year and it's seemed quite a bit better for lines for washrooms and food. And I never had any concern about the seating.
    There is a sweet spot where almost no one goes for beer or good on Level 2...but I ain't telling.

The Brooks shows, plus two Coldplay and Bruno Mars shows, as well as the John Mayer show, take the numbers closer to 170-180k. The numbers are from Billboard Boxscore, not Pollstar by the way, so no, I did not post Pollstar numbers. Billboard Boxscore is a major competitor to Pollstar in the North American market for stats on events. Please, do try to correct me again though.

We all get that you hate Rogers Place and Katz; your post history shows it, but no need to take a dump on the rest of us via your own ignorance.
    Just tried to find any concert numbers on Billboard Boxscore and its basically just a list of recent concerts being the closest I could come to seeing any attendance listings. Can't find any total tabulations like Pollstar does. Nor could I find one Canadian concert attendance listing there. Talk about a site not being user friendly. Plus the load times on that are insane. Page timeouts galore. Pollstar is laid out so much better and easy to use information. This is one reason virtually everybody in the industry or in the media posts Pollstar attendance numbers. They have their annual list which is basically the Forbes list of concerts.

So I'm curious, how did you find any Canadian attendance numbers on the Billboard site?

ps even Rogers place is linking all the Pollstar information on its main review page. This doesn't seem to reflect that they consider Pollstar stats "garbage".

http://www.rogersplace.com/a-must-stop-destination/
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-01-2018 at 02:41 PM.

As recently as September it was still a gong show. Womens washrooms especially. didn't have trouble with lineups with the Mens room but I'll try a hockey game when ticket prices go down to 25bucks resale..

I just mean in relation to the lower bowl it is drastically different. It didn't need to be that stratified, I don't have as much of a gripe with Rogers as Replacement. But I don't like the fact that the second deck is basically second class, it didn't need to be built that way.

They post the exact same numbers. Concert attendance figures are reported by either the venue or the promoter to both sites. Billboard posts theirs publicly, Pollstar posts theirs for subscribers.

Actually any of the Pollstar numbers can be backdoor obtained by some reasonable good googling and searches. Not much difficulty doing that. Several sites even just copy and paste the Pollstar data. Billboard Canadian attendance numbers I still can't find anywhere. I find Billboard really difficult to use and the site is really slow loading.

As mentioned all I see for Billboard, ever, is US concert attendance listings. Don't see any Canadian shows listed.

Everybody uses Pollstar, even Rogers Place, lol, because they make their data so much easier to find compare, and do really great year end reports etc. As long as I've followed the music-concert industry people talke about Pollstar numbers. I haven't heard people quoting billboard much since before the internet when you would look up Billboard mag in a library...

City of Edmonton & Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation launch new skate program
    January 16, 2018

Media are invited to speak with the City of Edmonton and the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation (EOCF) to learn about the [email protected] program at the Downtown Community Arena.

Date: Wednesday, January 17
    Time: 11 a.m.

The [email protected] program is the first learn-to-skate program funded through a partnership between the City of Edmonton and Oilers Entertainment Group. It is administered by the EOCF as part of the Downtown Community Arena Agreement.

For more information:
    edmonton.ca/downtowncommunityarena
    https://skatecanada.ca/skating-lessons/

Media contact:
    Christopher Webster
    Communications Advisor
    Community and Recreation Facilities
    780-496-8259
    780-868-0103
    www.decl.org

'The downtown levy is the city’s most recent and best performing development play. City officials already approved spending $487 million on Rogers Place, a new park and drainage upgrades. They estimate private projects complete or under construction since 2015 are worth $4 billion.'

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...f-the-quarters
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Excerpt from the report going to City Council next week:

The pace and volume of development underway and proposed within the Capital City Downtown Levy Area significantly exceeds what was anticipated when the plan was prepared in 2013. However, economic changes since 2014, coupled with the increase in supply of office space Downtown, is resulting in decreases to the assessed value of existing properties, particularly older office buildings.
    This is why I never liked the Downtown CRL. It has this 'robbing Peter to pay Paul' shell game aspect to it. Development is shifting to what was previously the less developed part of Downtown at the expense of the previously more developed part of Downtown.

Proponents always focus is on how much revenue the CRL is generating within its boundary without looking at the flip side, i.e. the declining assessment values of existing properties, particularly office buildings, in the part of Downtown outside the CRL boundary.

The new office space would have been built regardless if they went into Ice District. The new Enbridge tower is not in ID and I am sure it is contributing to lower values property values elsewhere. The net gain in assessment downtown comes from the hotel retail and residential which orher wise would not have been built.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Old Dominion last night at Rogers with guests. LOVED the half stadium bowl layout.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

This is the one specialty we excel so well. We proved time and time again that we are a city of champions. Even sports that the mass in our country don't care for, we end up with tremendous results. World Track & Field Championship was a great example. This will become a world affair in no time imo.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

In you can't make this up department at the game last night as Mrs Hlinklova came out with Wayne Gretzky the public address actually called her Mrs Hlinka, then corrected, and said Mrs Hlinkova. A cringe worthy moment. Heres a widow that has been a widow for over a dozen years, she's out representing the namesake tournament in honor of her departed husband(well not really its just to sell tickets here) and they can't even have the decency to say her name right. She actually reacted, I would too.
    This would be like Moscow co-opting a Gretzky tournament and he's marching out on ice and they say Vain Grassky.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-03-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Jesus Christ - I'm sure replacement, you've never made a mistake, and then corrected yourself

example:
    Last edited by Replacement; Today at 12:11 PM.

Its patronizing, patriarchal, and pure bad manners to get someone's name wrong on a public address to thousands in person and a Million on TV, when you have that very person on the ice, as part of the celebration and ceremony.

But its fine because it perfectly personifies the ineptness of the whole OEG that things like this occur. I admittedly laughed.

I should edit this post just to bother you. No, it would be to re-correct such things as auto correct and punctuation, spelling.

But I'm not heading a billion buck empire and broadcasting to Millions doing it.

Man, you find the smallest things to nitpick about. It's a mistake. It was corrected. Shiites happens, move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Man, you find the smallest things to nitpick about. move on.
    done

#TheGreatOne is in town today along with Ivan Hlinka’s widow Libena Hlinkova to discuss the newly-named #HlinkaGretzkyCup U-18 tournament coming to Rogers Place in August! Visit RogersPlace.com/HGCup for details & to secure your 7- or 10-game ticket packages.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Lots of good concerts coming, Pink, Rod Stewart, Shinia Twain for 2 shows etc.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I have to agree with Replacement on this. It does reflect on our reputation as this is an International figure. The presentor should have done a quick rehearsal. Fine details are very pertinent to this type of engagement. You don't want guests leaving our city disappointed. Why do we do clean ups to our house prior to guests coming over? We want them to leave with a good impression without any ambiguity of us.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 03-03-2018 at 05:50 PM.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

By some stroke of luck I was given a couple tickets to a luxury suite for yesterday's game. Having previously sat in the upper and lower bowl for Oil Kings and Oilers games, this was a treat. Firstly, the separate entrance and elevator directly to the suite level (also serves loge level), was nice in that it completely sidesteps the huge lines at security. Still have to go through a metal detector and all that, but a much more pleasant experience. Bob Nicholson was making his way from the alumni/hall of fame room while I was trying to figure out where I was supposed to go. Seems like a nice guy.

The suite level itself if basically just a smaller, less populated, and more nicely appointed version of the concourse without any vendors. Separate washroom facilities (not right in each suite like Rexall Place) were a nice touch and allow more room in each individual suite. I enjoyed the dedicated ticket scanning device that unlocks each door, as it negates the need for knocking and someone having to miss the game to go answer.

Staff came by to restock fridges and deliver food during periods, and there was even a dessert cart out in the concourse that was swarmed by kids.

The seats are ridiculously comfortable, have 2 cup-holders per, and a small table between. Sightlines are unreal, as would be expected, even from inside the suite. There are glass partitions between the interior of the suites so you can see your neighbours and it doesn't feel quite so isolated.

All in all a very cool experience. I can't imagine ever actually buying such tickets, but if offered you'd better believe I'll take them every time. Next up, Loge and Sportsnet Lounge!

Permanent public washrooms needed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ting-1.4604100
    www.decl.org

Feel like the Edmonton Tower should have had a dedicated space for public washrooms.

Kind of makes sense: city administrative/services tower and right in Ice District.

While a washroom like the one on Whyte would be nice, there simply isn't enough pedestrian or even vehicular traffic outside of peak and event hours to keep them free from shady dealings. Unless you lock them outside of event hours.

105st/Jasper there certainly is.
    www.decl.org

Opportunity exists with Ice District, whatever happens with the Baccarat site, one of the parking lots on 104th, and probably a handful of other areas I'm forgetting.

Yea I supposed Beaver Hills is a possibility with one right at the SW corner. My mind was stuck around 104th Ave and around RAM....can be a bit of a ghost town at times.

Regardless of the location, they should reproduce the open design of the Whyte Ave ones downtown. What you loose in privacy you gain in safety of seeing who's in ahead of you, and it makes it easier for by-law and police to keep people from camping out inside it. I haven't been to the Whyte Ave one in winter, but do they keep it pretty low temperature to discourage its use as a shelter?

Low temp and bingo to your points.
    www.decl.org

I sense a business opportunity for mobile shitters.

If you privatize it, they’ll go where they’re most needed without the bureaucratic money burning.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

interestingly enough, neither of our two new public parks include any provisions for public washroom facilities (except - at one of them - if you're a canine).

and it's also worth noting that edmonton isn't alone among canadian cities with this failure although attitudes and responses here may still be somewhat more uncouth than other cities and exacerbate the problem.

some of that problem isn't just a simple lack of public washrooms, it's (a) that they're typically hidden or buried in the bowels (pardon the expression) of our public buildings (with the exception of city hall) and (b) whether hidden or not, they aren't accessible "after hours" when they're sometimes needed the most.

it would have been interesting to see at least some of the washrooms in the new library for example having been accessible from outside and not just inside, even if security has to be provided to prevent abuse.

same goes for the new arena - i wonder how much less a problem there would be if some of their washrooms were accessible from the outside so those "fans" who forgot to look after their needs before stepping out into the cold would have someplace accessible other than nearby streets and lanes and back yards to rectify things.
    Last edited by kcantor; 05-04-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I would love to see one on 105st/Jasper.
    www.decl.org

I would love to see one on 105st/Jasper.
    Might not be a bad idea when the park space gets developed. So long as they’re properly maintained and monitored.

C2E SME

Isnt this where Beaver Hills park is?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its actually called Beaver Hills House Park across the street the Chatime café on Jasper Ave.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Looks like they've taken down all the boards at the south entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Its actually called Beaver Hills House Park across the street the Chatime café on Jasper Ave.
    Translated to European English yes.

Proper name though is amiskwaciy waskahikan ... so not sure a public toilet would properly respect the heritage.

Think we would want to consult wituh our Indigenous elders first.
    ... gobsmacked

Extremely disappointed that Rogers Place no longer offers the will call option to pick up tickets for concerts. Only mobile entry. I have a ticket stub for every concert I've ever attended. What's worse is that other arenas in Canada offers will call or tickets by mail.

June 11, 2018
    283900421-001
    10220 - 104 AVENUE NW
    Plan 1425251 Blk 9E Lot 5

To construct interior alterations to two men's public washrooms to increase fixture count (Rogers Place main concourse sector A and upper concourse sector B)

Extremely disappointed that Rogers Place no longer offers the will call option to pick up tickets for concerts. Only mobile entry. I have a ticket stub for every concert I've ever attended. What's worse is that other arenas in Canada offers will call or tickets by mail.
    Snap a photo when you bring it up on your mobile or desktop device, print if need be. I do it all the time. I am glad they are trimming operating costs to be more efficient - maybe thats how they are finding $$ to install some additional urinals.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Snap a photo when you bring it up on your mobile or desktop device, print if need be. I do it all the time. I am glad they are trimming operating costs to be more efficient - maybe thats how they are finding $$ to install some additional urinals.
    I'm sure that is covered by the increase in ticket prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    I'm sure that is covered by the increase in ticket prices.
    Its the total of what goes into the bottom line ... shaving off (what might be at least) 250K for a tix office staff, supervision, accounting and mail out costs and fees to 3rd party is not chump change.

Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108