Thread: Freezing rain warning. take heed

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default Freezing rain warning. take heed

I'm stuck in the west end. Please obey the freezing rain warning. The roads are a nice curling rink with a little heavy draw weight. In other words, stay home unless you absolutely have to drive.

This warning is not to be fooled with. The roads are sheer hell.
    Ow

My wife just got home saying there are accidents everywhere, buses sideways across roads, cars on the medians, etc.

...and wait until those Christmas partiers, late shoppers hit the roads tonight.

Now about those heated downtown sidewalks...

I guess it's time to sand our walks to save our bones and brains.

From the gc site...

"Warnings

City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park
    3:41 PM MST Saturday 14 December 2013
    Freezing rain warning for
    City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park continued

Freezing rain developing this evening.

A warm front moves into the province early this evening with a band of freezing rain setting up from Peace River to Lloydminster. The freezing rain will begin in the Peace country early this evening spreading east towards Edmonton later this evening and onto the Lloydminster and Cold Lake regions near midnight.

Southwest winds gusting up to 90 km/h will begin overnight in Grande Cache. They will diminish tomorrow afternoon. "
    Last edited by KC; 14-12-2013 at 09:04 PM.

I just got home & it is terrible out there. I sure wouldn't want to be driving anymore tonight, but I've got to get to the airport in the morning!!!!!!!
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I made the mistake of lingering over my coffee at Second Cup (across the road from me). I barely made it home with my life. I was going to go to Sobey's on my way home but the forecourt is just a sheet of ice and I didn't give myself great chances to make it both ways.

If I go tomorrow I can use the back entrance (via our parkade) but I really intended to go to the campus and to Ikea tomorrow.

Yes, take heed of the warnings.

Eve

ETS has shut down all BUS service in the city of Edmonton until further notice.

LRT is still running but running slowly.

DO NOT DRIVE. STAY HOME OR WHERE EVER YOU ARE. MY GOD ITS BAD OUT THERE.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Earlier tonight I could see cars having a hard time climbing up McDougall Hill Road. The city is laying down sand and salt, thankfully.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Earlier tonight I could see cars having a hard time climbing up McDougall Hill Road. The city is laying down sand and salt, thankfully.
    Now if this had happened during rush hour.

Heated Strips on Hillside Roads
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...=Heated+strips

I'd rather C2E than work!

Took over an hour to get from SEC to the westend. 2 KPH on Fox Drive. 3 bus accidents on the way home[ major one on Whitemud & 149st
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Was at the westend and drove back at midnight to the northwest and Anthony Henday is terrible.
    Saw a few cars in ditch and a huge semi-truck flipped over.
    Shook my head at the number of drivers going over 110 like it was summer, even after seeing these vehicles in the ditch.
    Was black ice all over, not a fun drive!

C2E Continued Contributor

I found it quite slippery around 9:00 when I left the west end, but it was very manageable if you weren't trying to rush. Didn't find Anthony Henday in the south to the west end not too bad when I was headed home at midnight. Was able to do about 80 with no problems. By that time, the sanders had probably hit those areas.

Time to get the ice melt out. The sidewalks are pretty treacherous in places.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

i intentionally didnt shovel before the ice rain so that the rain would just fall on top of the snow then i could easily shovel it away leaving nice non slippery concrete underneath.

worked out pretty well judging by how slippery the neighbours areas are.
    be offended! figure out why later...

C2E Continued Contributor

Sidewalks in my neighbourhood were still quite icy in places this afternoon. I don't think I've seen freezing rain this bad in Edmonton in perhaps years.

Good thing I have a pair of ice cleats.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

We drove the High Level today at 3:12 and it was raining; that bank of clouds had moved south enough so the sun could heat the bridge's beams and the snow and ice was melting fast onto the deck. Huge drops and globs catching the low winter sun making for terrible visibility as you headed southbound. It was raining in the bridge.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^Think of the positive it was trying to be the highest car wash.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    i intentionally didnt shovel before the ice rain so that the rain would just fall on top of the snow then i could easily shovel it away leaving nice non slippery concrete underneath.

worked out pretty well judging by how slippery the neighbours areas are.
    This is my preferred method for dealing with freezing rain as well - don't let it touch the sidewalk. It happened by default this time as I was out of town last weekend.

Who's ready for some more freezing rain? Someone was trying to tell me somewhere on these forums that these patterns are normal for this time of year? -25 to +5 to -25 over the course of 7-10 days all winter is not normal.

City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park
    4:37 AM MST Saturday 21 December 2013
    Special weather statement for
    City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park issued

Risk of freezing rain Sunday night into Monday.

The next wave of warm air that will push into Alberta Sunday night will bring with it a moderate risk of freezing rain to portions of West-Central Alberta. Current guidance is suggesting that areas near the BC border will see freezing rain starting Sunday night and areas nearer the Capital region Monday morning. There is still some uncertainty in the extent of the areas that will be affected and the accumulation expected.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts when making their holiday travel plans as warnings may be issued as the event approaches.

Please monitor the latest forecasts and warnings from Environment Canada at www.weatheroffice.gc.ca

http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?ab33