Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greedy People (and the frivolous lawsuits that follow)

I'd rather C2E than work!

More detail on that angle:

Insurance system may be to blame for aunt's lawsuit against 12-year-old

“It’s amazing the power that the internet has that something can go viral, completely out of context,” she said. “I’m certainly not trying to retire to some villa in the south of France. I’m simply trying to pay off my medical bills.”

Legal experts told the Guardian that there may be more to the story than a simple act of material vindictiveness if in fact Connell’s insurance didn’t cover her medical bills, and there was a chance that they might be covered under her nephew’s family’s homeowners insurance.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Woman Who Sued Nephew for $127K Over Birthday Hug Gets Nothing

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/l...332458242.html
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Long Term Contributor

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...e-at-waterpark

A Stettler woman is suing West Edmonton Mall for $50,000 after claiming she injured her big toe while going down a slide at the World Waterpark.

According to a statement of claim filed in Edmonton’s Court of Queen’s Bench on Jan. 26, Nicole Rae Sanders alleges the incident happened on Feb. 15. 2014.

Sanders claims she was “lawfully proceeding through the Blue Bullet waterslide” when “suddenly and without warning, her left big toe was caught in a drain.”

As a result, Sanders alleges she suffered a left non-displaced fracture at the base of the left big toe and into a nearby joint, lacerations to the left big toe and contusions and swelling to her left foot.

Sanders also alleges she suffered mental anguish, a loss of enjoyment of the amenities of life and now faces a susceptibility to arthritis and other degenerative changes.

As well, she claims she incurred a loss of income and income earning capacity, expenses for treatment and medication and required painful therapy for her rehabilitation.

The lawsuit also names as a defendant ABC Ltd. and says that both the World Waterpark and the subcontractor involved in the maintenance and care of the premises were responsible for making sure there are no dangers, hazards or unsafe conditions.

It is also alleged that the injuries were the result of the defendants’ negligence for not keeping both the premises and Sanders, as a visitor, safe and for failing to adequately warn her of the presence of any dangers.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

LOL just saw this story and was seconds away from posting it.

Someone stubbed their toe and is now suing for $50 000. Unreal.

They need to start dinging these people more often for the court costs.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ actually it happened in 2014
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Yeah, I edited my post thinking it was 12 days ago. Regardless, still silly. If we all hired a lawyer every time we got slightly hurt the courts would have no time for the real criminals.

Was it a totally open drain with no cap or like many water drains a divot in the floor to catch runoff that's slightly recessed that if you're NOT PAYING ATTENTION to where you're walking can indeed stub your toe.

We've all done it. Dozens of times over years. And sometimes it can bloody hurt.

Family of suicide victim sues Alberta Hospital for $750,000 for alleged non-admittance

A mentally ill Edmonton woman’s family is claiming she jumped to her death from the seventh floor of the Chateau Lacombe after being turned away at Alberta Hospital.

And the family says in a recent $753,000 lawsuit against the province that it was the third time she was refused admittance at a psychiatric facility — despite her clear need for treatment — and sent away in a taxi.

In a statement of claim filed in court on Feb. 19, the daughter, parents and brother of Janette Peterson allege she was a diagnosed psychiatric patient who had been hospitalized for suicidal tendencies a number of times.

The family claims she took “definite and extreme steps” to attempt suicide in February 2014 — including renting a hotel room and hiring strangers to harm her — and say that and all of her treatment records were fully available on the net care system for medical professionals to review.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...non-admittance

I get the whole she needs help thing, but where was the 'concerned' family in all of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Yeah, I edited my post thinking it was 12 days ago. Regardless, still silly. If we all hired a lawyer every time we got slightly hurt the courts would have no time for the real criminals.

Was it a totally open drain with no cap or like many water drains a divot in the floor to catch runoff that's slightly recessed that if you're NOT PAYING ATTENTION to where you're walking can indeed stub your toe.

We've all done it. Dozens of times over years. And sometimes it can bloody hurt.
    Did you even read the article ? She was in the slide and the injury and consequences sound awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarsands View Post

Did you even read the article ? She was in the slide and the injury and consequences sound awful.
    There is no drains on the slide itself only in the splashdown pool i should know because i used to work there when i was a teen.

Family of suicide victim sues Alberta Hospital for $750,000 for alleged non-admittance

A mentally ill Edmonton woman’s family is claiming she jumped to her death from the seventh floor of the Chateau Lacombe after being turned away at Alberta Hospital.

And the family says in a recent $753,000 lawsuit against the province that it was the third time she was refused admittance at a psychiatric facility — despite her clear need for treatment — and sent away in a taxi.

In a statement of claim filed in court on Feb. 19, the daughter, parents and brother of Janette Peterson allege she was a diagnosed psychiatric patient who had been hospitalized for suicidal tendencies a number of times.

The family claims she took “definite and extreme steps” to attempt suicide in February 2014 — including renting a hotel room and hiring strangers to harm her — and say that and all of her treatment records were fully available on the net care system for medical professionals to review.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...non-admittance

I get the whole she needs help thing, but where was the 'concerned' family in all of this?
    You mean the family that tried to get her admitted several times, probably we're stressed beyond belief dealing with such psychiatric trauma for years, that were told their loved one would be properly assessed, and were not even informed of the latest release?

Everybody having dealt with trying to obtain a Psychiatric bed for a loved one, family member, or client would be applauding this needed lawsuit. The lack of Pschiatric beds in this province and the extreme difficulty trying to gain admittance for psychiatric at risk patients is a disgrace.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Alright Replacement, here's another person's lack of personal responsibility you can defend.

Parents of Edmonton Institution inmate who died of a fentanyl overdose sue Correctional Service of Canada

The parents of an Edmonton Institution inmate who died of a fentanyl overdose have launched a $295,000 lawsuit against the Correctional Service of Canada.
    In a statement of claim filed July 14, John and Debilyn Witvoet allege the federal agency responsible for Canadian prisons was negligent in the Aug. 20, 2015, death of Ryan William Witvoet, 31.

The Witvoets allege the correctional service failed to protect their son, who had drug-addiction issues, from access to illegal drugs within the maximum-security prison in north Edmonton.

As well, the Witvoets allege the service negligently failed to provide drugs to counteract the effects of fentanyl, a highly toxic painkiller responsible for 274 deaths in Alberta in 2015, when the agency knew or ought to have known that there were other previously reported fentanyl overdoses within the prison.

The statement of claim says Witvoet was found unresponsive in his cell early in the morning and he died at Royal Alexandra Hospital at 11:10 p.m.

The Witvoets are seeking $100,000 in punitive damages, $100,000 for the violation of their charter rights, $82,000 for bereavement damages and $13,000 for funeral-related expenses.

A statement of defence has not yet been filed.

Statements of claim and statements of defence contain allegations which have not been proven.

At the time of the death, prison officials said Witvoet was the fourth inmate to overdose that week, prompting a lockdown and search for narcotics. Two of the inmates who were hospitalized recovered while another suffered health complications.
    What a bonus for the parents hey! Dying in prison where they can blame someone instead of in their own basement where it would be all their fault! Such a stroke of good luck. Perhaps the taxpayers need to get a class action lawsuit together for having to spend money on this sack of sh1t.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crim...vice-of-canada
    Last edited by Kitlope; 13-08-2016 at 05:06 PM.

OK, I will.

1) I draw a distinction between the general concept of drug availability in prisons in Canada and alternately what should be the case. These are supposed to be controlled settings. So exert proper control. It is kind of ridiculous that we have drug OD's like this occurring in prisons.

2)By statement of claim the hospital failed to provide drugs to counteract the effects of fentanyl. The standard issue countereffect drug is Nalaxone and is very effective in countering Overdoses of Fentanyl.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ives-1.3185768

3) Its perfectly reasonable to expect a major correctional facility would have Nalaxone kits available and be trained in their use.

4)Simply transporting the patient to the hospital, instead of administering immediate pertinent medical aid, (Nalaxone administration is something that can be admininistered by anybody), quite possibly resulted in a profound delay of the patient receiving the antidote, if they did at all (in the hospital)

5) A rethink needs to be made and I would counter that lives in prison still should have value and rights to medical treatment should be available to anybody. We do not have the death sentence in Canada and yet this young mans death occurred in incarceration and where there is a reasonable expectation that it could have been prevented. If the Institution is shown to be negligent in providing proper preventative surveillance, screening, monitoring, to prevent the drug access, and/or negligent in attending to the medical emergency then I would think there would be a claim award. As far as the claim amounts what value can be put on human life?

6)As to the specific issue of negligence the institution in question has apparently encountered several prior fentanyl Overdoses occurring. One would suspect that would result in greater precautions, policy, to prevent the same. So that a known problem was persisting and that arguably resulted in this death, and the other men also OD ing.

7)These parents are human beings, and are parents of a child(now adult, now deceased) who has died not through their actions. You assume different, without knowing that. Even the article cites the youth had everything he needed growing up, good grades, good environment, normative environment (seemingly) and like many kids hit a rebellious teen streak that often occurs regardless of upbringing. He never pulled out of it.

Aside from that my own personal take is I wish all these claims also went after pharmaceutical companies that made these drugs available and misrepresented the risks to the public.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-08-2016 at 09:21 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I feel for the parents in this case. If a person is put in a Canadian jail the expectation is that that person will be kept safe. General population kept away from violent offenders and gang bangers etc. I should imagine that one of the expectations would be that if the person has a physical or mental (addictions) problem that problem will also be taken care of in jail. If withdrawal meds are prescribed they should be given etc. We don't know if meds were prescribed for this person or not. If an antidote could have been given in jail without a prescription then why was it not done. That is a big oversight. When people go to jail hopefully they come out having done their time and also be rehabilitated. Family members don't want to get a call from the Justice Dept telling them that their loved one had passed away from illegal drugs giving to them while in jail.
    Last edited by Gemini; 14-08-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Spot on with points 1 and 6, Replacement.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

1. Name me a prison in North America that is drug free. Even the world. Be my guest. Use google. It happens. It shouldn't, but it does. One of them fact of life things. That's what happens when your dealing with the criminal element.

2. It's your tax dollars folks. You don't have an issue with people cashing in your tax dollars, be my guest. But if I EVER see you in this forum complaining about your tax dollars going to waste regarding anything, I'm going to call you out. Every time.

3. Personal Responsibility. Even his grandfather in the article said that it was his responsibility. You speak like he's a child but I'll remind you he's a grown man that has made his own decisions.

4. Where the heck is society heading when we can point fingers/blame/cash in for our conscious, personal mistakes? How much more absurd does this need to get?

NA? Not likely as we're in the dark ages here in prison reform.

But other jurisdictions have found success combating illegal drugs;

http://paulflynnmp.typepad.com/my_we...y-prisons.html

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...828-24yim.html

you'll remember as well that Harper was interested in passing a bill on drug free prisons. Its a difficult thing, but a worthy, and indeed needed step.

Tax dollars? The biggest cost to society is recidivism. The #1 factor in that is continued addiction. We can't afford NOT to be effectively addressing this in correctional rehabilitation facilities.

Personal responsibility? Theres nothing like drug addiction to rip that away from people. No easy answers to that and a societal problem that continues to need to be addressed everywhere.

Where is our society headed? I sure hope its not the monolithic US model where longterm incarceration is the answer to almost every sentence.

1. Name me a prison in North America that is drug free. Even the world. Be my guest. Use google. It happens. It shouldn't, but it does. One of them fact of life things. That's what happens when your dealing with the criminal element.

2. It's your tax dollars folks. You don't have an issue with people cashing in your tax dollars, be my guest. But if I EVER see you in this forum complaining about your tax dollars going to waste regarding anything, I'm going to call you out. Every time.

3. Personal Responsibility. Even his grandfather in the article said that it was his responsibility. You speak like he's a child but I'll remind you he's a grown man that has made his own decisions.

4. Where the heck is society heading when we can point fingers/blame/cash in for our conscious, personal mistakes? How much more absurd does this need to get?
    Thing is about personal mistakes and personal responsibilities. Mistakes are made by mere mortals who by just being human are open to all kinds of temptations and impulses. Who hasn't done something against their better judgement at one time or other. Sure the guy had a responsibility to himself not to take these drugs. On the other hand he was an addict who was not being properly treated in jail for his addiction. Some might say that the temptation should not have been placed in front while in jail. It would be like having a fridge full of sugary food in a ward full of diabetic people then telling the nurses to turn a blind eye. If temptation is not there then you cannot succumb to it.

Woman mauled by tiger after exiting car sues Beijing safari park for US$300K

BEIJING — A woman who was mauled by a tiger after getting out of her car at a Beijing safari park, reportedly because she felt carsick, is demanding compensation of more than 2 million yuan ($300,000) from the facility.

Her mother was killed in the incident after also leaving the vehicle to come to her assistance.

The attack happened in July in the animals’ enclosure at Beijing Badaling Wildlife World near the Great Wall of China.

The park confirmed media reports that the survivor, identified only by her surname, Zhao, is requesting 1.5 million yuan for her “serious injuries,” including nerve damage, scarring of her face and psychological trauma, along with 1.24 million yuan as compensation for the death of her mother.

Spokesman Cao Zhijie said Friday that even though a district government investigation found the park was not to blame, they were willing to pay some compensation “out of our humanity.” No figure has been decided.

Media reports cited Zhao as saying that she got out of the car because she felt carsick and thought they had already driven out of the animals’ enclosure.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/news/wo...ark-for-us300k

U.S. widow, blinded soldier lose bid for urgent freeze of Omar Khadr's cash

TORONTO — A Canadian judge wasted precious few minutes on Thursday in refusing to freeze a reported $10.5-million payout to Omar Khadr so the widow of a slain American soldier he was accused of killing in Afghanistan can have more time to go after the money.In his ruling, Ontario Superior Court Justice Edward Belobaba said he had heard nothing to show Khadr planned to hide assets to thwart possible enforcement of a massive American court award against him.

"People might have a lot of opinions. But this is not a coffee shop. This is a court of law," Belobaba said during the hearing. "We don't, thank goodness, in Canada have one law for Omar Khadr and one law for all other Canadians."

Tabitha Speer, widow of U.S. special forces soldier Sgt. Chris Speer, and a former American soldier Layne Morris blinded in one eye, wanted an injunction freezing Khadr's assets pending their battle to have a Canadian court force him to pay the US$134.1-million judgment from Utah.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lawyers-om...080003052.html

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    U.S. widow, blinded soldier lose bid for urgent freeze of Omar Khadr's cash

TORONTO — A Canadian judge wasted precious few minutes on Thursday in refusing to freeze a reported $10.5-million payout to Omar Khadr so the widow of a slain American soldier he was accused of killing in Afghanistan can have more time to go after the money.In his ruling, Ontario Superior Court Justice Edward Belobaba said he had heard nothing to show Khadr planned to hide assets to thwart possible enforcement of a massive American court award against him.

"People might have a lot of opinions. But this is not a coffee shop. This is a court of law," Belobaba said during the hearing. "We don't, thank goodness, in Canada have one law for Omar Khadr and one law for all other Canadians."

Tabitha Speer, widow of U.S. special forces soldier Sgt. Chris Speer, and a former American soldier Layne Morris blinded in one eye, wanted an injunction freezing Khadr's assets pending their battle to have a Canadian court force him to pay the US$134.1-million judgment from Utah.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lawyers-om...080003052.html
    You want to start the same discussion in a second thread? In terms of frivolous lawsuits, the one by the convicted terrorist scumbag (scumbag = pig who plants IED's to kill out soldiers) for cash re his "charter rights", which was stupidly settled by the Canadian government of our day, was far more greedy.
    Last edited by moahunter; 14-07-2017 at 07:51 AM.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

No.

Just.

Don't.

Keep the Khadr conversation in its own thread.
    Ow

Yes moa, we all know your desire for vengeance & revenge is greater than your respect for the constitution & you're more than content to take other people's rights whenever it's politically expedient.

Thank goodness that's totally not how the law works in Canada.

Keep on spouting your alt-right fascist rhetoric though, as it's kinda amusing to watch you swirl even farther down the bowl.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

What part of DON'T was misunderstood?
    Ow

Note the timestamps? I didn't see your post as I was writing mine. Feel free to move the posts.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12