Thread: Edmonton's Radio Music repertoire

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default Edmonton's Radio Music repertoire

There are 10's of thousands of songs out there. Why do Edmonton radio stations need to play so few repeatedly?

C2E Posting Power

It is annoying, far from an "edmonton station" problem
    i love lamp

I'd rather C2E than work!

^^ Probably because everthing is controlled from corporate hq in the big T.O.

^ Correct.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Satellite radio.....No more terrestrial radio for me for 10 years.

CRTC Canadian content requirements for Popular Music (Category 2)
    Commercial, community, campus and native radio:
    "English-language and French-language stations must ensure that at least 35% of the Popular Music they broadcast each week is Canadian content.

Commercial radio stations also have to ensure that at least 35% of the Popular Music broadcast between 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday is Canadian content."

One out of three songs!

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ Canadian content laws are the reason why you hear Tragically Hip and April Wine every 15 minutes on every rock station, and Nellie Furtado and Mia Martina every 15 minutes on every Top 40 station.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

The one thing I wish that local radio stations would do, would be to play a wider range of the genre they are based on.

For instance, on The Bear, I've heard them play Schism by Tool a number of times, but never any other song by them, why not? Also why not some harder stuff once in a while? If they need some Canadian content, play some Alexisonfire. I can't recall ever hearing them on The Bear, or if they do, play a wider range of songs, not just the same song over and over again.

CJSR 88.5 plays plenty of different music.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    CJSR 88.5 plays plenty of different music.
    As well as CKUA.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Quote Originally Posted by knowitall View Post
    CRTC Canadian content requirements for Popular Music (Category 2)
    Commercial, community, campus and native radio:
    "English-language and French-language stations must ensure that at least 35% of the Popular Music they broadcast each week is Canadian content.

Commercial radio stations also have to ensure that at least 35% of the Popular Music broadcast between 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday is Canadian content."

One out of three songs!
    That doesn't explain why classic rock stations are required to play Led Zeppelin and Van Halen at least once an hour.

Someone mentions Satelite.

We rented an Explorer last summer for a trip to BC and it had Sirius in it, and I have to say I was exteremely underwhelmed by the programming

Stupid campy themed channel names like "The coffee house" and "Margaritaville" and "the Loft" playing terrible, terrible canned music.

I'd never invest in that. I'd rather download podcasts for long trips (which is what I do now)

As for radio here in the city, it's horribly repetitive. But that's true of all radio. My best friend is morning show DJ at a popular Vancouver top 40 station and I'll listen to her show online every once in a while in the morning just for fun while getting ready for work. It's no better there, trust me/

I do like some shows on CJSR and CKUA.. don't listen to it nearly as much as I sued to now that I am practically never in my car. Sonic is repetitive but still the best station in the city IMO
    Last edited by 240GLT; 31-01-2014 at 12:33 PM.
    Parkdale