Thread: Academic upgrading - distance/online

First One is Always Free

Default Academic upgrading - distance/online

Wondering if anyone here can recommend the best distance/online academic upgrading school in Edmonton, or all of Alberta? I'm trying to get some math upgrading taken care of for entry into an engineering program, and have looked at both ecampus Alberta and ADLC, however the format these schools offer their math courses in seem outdated and sloppy.

I took an online math course - for free - in BC last year before moving to Edmonton, and the course quality was superb, with recorded instructional videos - almost like taking the course in a classroom, only better because I could pause the lesson when needed. Here, i'm looking at nearly $700 per course, and it seems they are offered as a haphazardly thrown together online textbook - with no recorded instructional component - and it appears they want you to buy the textbook to go along with it to boot - what the hell is up with that?

So I figure, maybe i'm looking in the wrong places, and maybe someone here has had a good learning experience with an online upgrading school.

Any recommendations? Perhaps one of the local colleges has better quality online courses that i'm not finding on ecampus Alberta?

Thanks for any help!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Was the video course a credit course through a college or through one of the B.C. school systems? I can't say about the textbook but I haven't seen a video course, even with the continued ed. course I'm taking through SAIT.

If you have your evenings or Saturdays free, you should look into taking your math in the classroom.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Was the video course a credit course through a college or through one of the B.C. school systems? I can't say about the textbook but I haven't seen a video course, even with the continued ed. course I'm taking through SAIT.

If you have your evenings or Saturdays free, you should look into taking your math in the classroom.
    Thanks for the reply.

The course I took was a provincially recognized credit course through an online distance education school - part of the BC public school system. For their math program, they used a third-party software program that delivered the course in a series of video instructional modules, complete with quizzes and tests. Exams were still done in the classroom, and assignments were still done on paper, scanned and submitted via email. Textbooks were obviously not required using this instructional method.

I have to wonder why more schools are not using this type of delivery system for their courses. I look at the success of MIT open courseware and Khan Academy and have to ask why the educational system has not picked up on this style of teaching. It works so well.

As for evening classes - well they won't work for me as I work nights. I also considered daytime classes but that means waiting for the next intake - which doesn't appear to be until May and goes until August. Also, going with the classroom route, it'll take much longer to complete the courses. I finished my last math course (online) in 6 weeks with a 93% final grade.

Oh well, I suppose i'll keep looking. I may just use Khan Academy to learn the material, and then just register for the course to take the tests. Meh. That sure would be an awful waste of $700.

If you want a daytime fast track course, the Edmonton Public School Board is offering Math 20-1 that starts on Thursday from 8:30 AM to 1:50 PM and runs until the last week in March, then Math 30-1 that starts on April 12th and runs until the first week in June. Math 20-1 would be grade 11 and Math 30-1 grade 12. Both are the upper level math courses (at least I imagine they are, as I last took the equivalent back in the 90s and the upper level were 20 and 30, middle level were 23/33 and lower level were 25/35).

Cost of both are $499 plus $30 textbook rental.

http://edmonton.augusoft.net/index.c...nt_catalog_id=

If you also need Math 31 (calculus), there might be a summer course, but I can't say at the moment.

BTW, I'd like to see more video instruction myself, especially live and on demand from the current semester.

First One is Always Free

Thanks again!

Math 30-1 is the one i'm looking at right now. I did 20-1 (BC Pre Calculus 11) last year. I made the mistake of taking the minimum graduating requirement for math out of high school, also in the 90's - Math 11A - obviously nowhere near good enough for engineering. But it was enough to get into Business Administration which is why I took it. Ahhh the wasted years.....

Thanks for the link - though I looked at that one as well about an hour ago. It would almost work, but for the early start to the classes. It'd be awfully challenging to start school at 8:30 in the morning when my shift isn't over until 1 AM. Another reason i'm looking for an online option.

But it's something to think about.

Try Bow Valley College. They have real time high school courses with the sessions recorded for later studying. Perhaps they'll have the format best suited for you. The next course won't sart until May but if you want to start university in September, you should be able to get in.

http://bowvalleycollege.ca/programs-...ng-online.html

I also see they have an "anytime" online schedule as well.