Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Premier Redford to make an announcement at 6pm today.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default Premier Redford to make an announcement at 6pm today.

Amid rumours and speculation, Premier Redford has called a press conference for 6 pm today to give what she feels is an important announcement.

This thread is to discuss that announcement. It is the continuation of an older thread LOCATED HERE.

Journal Article
    Ow

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

The announcement is 20 minutes away. Let's wait and discuss what is actually said.
    Ow

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

An interesting media tweet...

Mariam Ibrahim

@mariamdena

For those wondering, Redford will not be taking questions following her important announcement today. #ableg #ejlive
    Ow

Popcorn ready......................
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I'll be cracking a cold beverage for this...

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Like I mentioned before, let's keep the speculation out of this for now. When the announcement is made, we can then analyse.

I am OK with the popcorn like comments. This is an interesting announcement, and I admit I am even a bit "excited".
    Ow

Admin! Why you torturing us!

ok I can wait

I'm watching CFRN Chanel 2. Cameras waiting in the rotunda.

www.decl.org

Blah, Blah, Blah. Typical Alison bull crap. Does not sound like a resignation speech.

Hallelujuah

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Resigns.

Discuss.
    Ow

Rinse/lather/repeat... election coming. find a new popular leader! We have new ideas!

Yup. Lots of time for the party to try and undo her damage.

i dont have faith that the next leader will be any better.

best to just give this party the boot.
    be offended! figure out why later...

Enter centre stage doofus deputy Dave Hancock. The blind leading the blind.

Mandel for premier!
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

It's for the better. Low approval rate and a caucus that wasn't going to put up with much more. We'll have to see when the leadership vote will take place and who's in the running. I have a feeling there won't be a back of the pack candidate getting in through a block of temporary party memberships.

This is a golden opportunity for the Wild Rose party to fill the void.

Let's face it. She got the top job in the province and she squandered it. 2 years at the helm and we are not further forward than we were back then. She whizzed that job down the toilet. Just used it to pad her resume and broaden her travel experiences. Worst premier the province has ever had.

What will she be remembered for? The fact that she was Alberta's first female premier, or for her failure? Anything else?
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Apparently she is staying on as an MLA. Please take her passport from her.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Let's face it. She got the top job in the province and she squandered it. 2 years at the helm and we are not further forward than we were back then. She whizzed that job down the toilet. Just used it to pad her resume and broaden her travel experiences. Worst premier the province has ever had.
    Agreed. But it doesn't stop with her. There's still a 43 year old Ol' Boys Club to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    What will she be remembered for? The fact that she was Alberta's first female premier, or for her failure? Anything else?
    She does have good hair.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    This is actually the worst case scenario for the Wild Rose party.
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Montrosian View Post
    What are your reasons for thinking so?

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Montrosian View Post
    What are your reasons for thinking so?
    They have a better chance in two years with a weak PC leader. The door is now open for the PCs to turn it around again.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Too bad her resigning does not trigger an immediate election.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

How many times can the PC's run the same play and have it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Too bad her resigning does not trigger an immediate election.
    It's a parliamentary system not a presidential one.

Now it makes sense.

The announcement came just as Progressive Conservative riding association presidents in Calgary were about to vote on whether Redford had lost the confidence of the membership and should be asked to resign.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...mier-1.2579356

So the Calgary caucus is at it again.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    How many times can the PC's run the same play and have it work?
    Lots and lots of times

Redford could have fixed the travel expenses mess she got herself into with a little humility and a clear lowest available cost travel policy going forward, but instead she was arrogant and hoped it would blow over. When it didn't, she took her ball and went home. I'm not sad to see her go, but I don't think her replacement will be any better.

As much as I think Redford had her struggles in office this is not even close to something that should lead to what it has, unfortunately, with her resignation.

I say that because in all my years of viewing politics I've never seen a voted, elected leader given so little if any licence by the opposition. From the word go Redford was afforded no reasonable room for her mandate, no time for her mandate, and zero respect. She was attacked mercilessly day in and day out by the opposition parties not the least being Danielle Smith.

The biggest irony in all of this is Redford being branded a Bully that doesn't play well with others by two defectors that didn't even make a solid case for it.

If theres a bully here, and one that regularly attacked both personally and politically, with no hesitation and for any reason its Danielle Smith.

I do feel that Redford stepped down because the degree of criticism had gone far past politics and had veered into personal vicious attack for some time. Even long before she was elected.

Not since Joe Clark have the knives been out this selectively on an elected leader. Redford was afforded only 11mths elected mandate. If that.

I'm not surprised Redford is stepping down. I would too. I don't know anybody that would endure this level of day to day abuse.

Well maybe Rob Ford but he self medicates and is high a lot of the time..

This IS a sad moment in Alberta politics. Ironically its one woman denying the first female leader in the Alberta legislature her rightful elected place.

I can only wish Danielle her befitting Karma. Although that sounds mean.
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-03-2014 at 01:39 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

That does sound mean. What are these eleven months you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Interestingly Ford has been doing a lot better in polls than Redford, at the end of the day political failure isn't somebody elses fault, its your own, we all control our image through our actions (even who we make friends with), for better or worse.

That does sound mean. What are these eleven months you are talking about?
    That would be a good question.

I think I'm getting senile. I could swear it was one, instead of nearly two years in office as premier elect. lol mybad.

my timeline is shot..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Interestingly Ford has been doing a lot better in polls than Redford, at the end of the day political failure isn't somebody elses fault, its your own, we all control our image through our actions (even who we make friends with), for better or worse.
    I don't necessarily disagree.

Except there are a lot of warranted serious reasons to question Rob Ford in office.

I find a lot of the Redford stuff has been selectively trumped up.

I'm on record stating it was silly of her not to have more closely considered her travel expenditures. This should've been an area of obvious careful monitoring.

That said on a par and level of powers that be malfeasance through history Redfords 45K that she reluctantly actually paid back is small fish fry. This is a relatively honest politician stepping down. Because she has a conscience. Which in todays world of politics is everybodies loss.

Careful what is wished for...

I already dread partisan Danielle Smith in that seat. Won't this be good for Edmonton...
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-03-2014 at 02:03 PM.

The travel expenditures were just the straw. What killed Redford was the total lack of support from her own caucus and that failure is hers. While she gained the leadership without caucus support she should have then spent time building it up. Instead she isolated herself and started implementing policies without a lot caucus consultation. Some of those policies, in particular, the drastic post secondary cuts and the frontal assault on AUPE, generated a lot of blowback from constituents and party supporters to MLAs, further weakening her support within the party.

When the travel thing broke her own party didn't support her, the opposition saw this and did not back down. If the party had drawn ranks and she had admitted mistakes (whether they were or not), she would still be premier.

There certainly is a lesson to be learned in that comparison. Obviously polls reflect the attitudes of the target group so the degree of tolerance for various types of behavior will vary. But a large part of Ford's appeal lies in his ability to connect with the average person by taking calls from taxpayers and trying to help address their issues. Whereas Redford appeared aloof and more than willing to avail herself to perks at the public expense.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Some of those policies, in particular, the drastic post secondary cuts and the frontal assault on AUPE, generated a lot of blowback from constituents and party supporters to MLAs, further weakening her support within the party.
    She had to hold the costs on education and the AUPE because she needed money for her proposed “Alberta Future Fund.”
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

The travel expenditures were just the straw. What killed Redford was the total lack of support from her own caucus and that failure is hers. While she gained the leadership without caucus support she should have then spent time building it up. Instead she isolated herself and started implementing policies without a lot caucus consultation. Some of those policies, in particular, the drastic post secondary cuts and the frontal assault on AUPE, generated a lot of blowback from constituents and party supporters to MLAs, further weakening her support within the party.

When the travel thing broke her own party didn't support her, the opposition saw this and did not back down. If the party had drawn ranks and she had admitted mistakes (whether they were or not), she would still be premier.
    In fairness she inherited widescale division and infighting that was rampant in the party. Indeed with many pundits wondering how the party would pull together even after they found a replacement for for the fractured Stelmach leadership.

It seems highly critical to suggest that caucus and other division in the party is on Redford. I can see people saying it, and to some extent who is saying it, but with some of those being divisive rather than problem solving factors. Also with that some of that division likely being resurfaced never supported her leadership anyway type division.

Redford inherited a lot of baggage with this party and a lot of the faults of her predecessors that went with it. I wonder whether question period would've involved whole weeks or months of questioning King Ralph on a 45K expense claim.

Redford got buried on relatively specious grounds here.

Given the vitriol and constant attack one would've expect widescale corruption involving millions would be the issue.

A 45k fare she paid back and yet it was never going away.

I do think the PC's are doing a good job burying themselves here. But they've doing that for some time before Redford.

Lets Remember Redford won an arguably unexpected election result.

But not much licence with it apparently. I wonder how much people even within her party truly empowered and actively supported her leadership.

Looks like a lot of backstabbing instead.

As a result the PC's have set the trapdoor for yet another temporary non elect leader, hasn't that been going well?

Danielle Smith again will be all over that like she was with Redford.
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-03-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    There certainly is a lesson to be learned in that comparison. Obviously polls reflect the attitudes of the target group so the degree of tolerance for various types of behavior will vary. But a large part of Ford's appeal lies in his ability to connect with the average person by taking calls from taxpayers and trying to help address their issues. Whereas Redford appeared aloof and more than willing to avail herself to perks at the public expense.
    The funny thing in this is that nobody availed themselves more than King Ralph yet he was rarely if ever perceived in that light.

I don't doubt what you're saying somehow became the opinion. But how was that opinion reached?

Why so selectively?

Nothing specious about the level of criticism from major party donors last year after the post-secondary cuts nor the amount of direct response MLAs got from constituents over Bill 45 and 46 last fall. The reality is long before this particular crisis donors and voters were making their displeasure clear to MLAs and the MLAs were getting extremely nervous about their seats. Caucus was listening to the voters but Redford was not listening to caucus.

Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

This conversation isn't about Allison really it;s about the party...

The party has been flooded with more progressive members, those members elected a leader that no one in the party wanted except one MLA.... and ultimately the party threw her under the bus.

The Party Brass wants to the the wildrose... Voters who reelected them want left of center.

The PARTY needs to change much more than the leader did.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Nothing specious about the level of criticism from major party donors last year after the post-secondary cuts nor the amount of direct response MLAs got from constituents over Bill 45 and 46 last fall.
    As I think I noted above, if education cuts and anti-labour policies are what people are upset about, then it seems strange that that discontent would supposedly be benefitting Wildrose.

^ The wildrose is going to have it's own Identity crisis soon.

They move more and more and more and more to the Center.... but they were elected to their current position by the far right in rural areas.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

^i don't see the Federal Conservatives having an identity crises, they moved to the center, just as the Federal liberals are trying to do. The WR are quite comparable to Federal Conservatives, they have some wing nuts at the extreme (all parties do, left or right), but are learning to silence them. Every party wants power and once they get it they seek to maintain it, this moderates extreme views. None of the 'scary' harper will ban abortion, guns on streets, etc happened with Federal PCs and it won't with WR either.

^ The Feds are def undergoing an identity crisis and the old reformers have had to be qwelled more than once.

It is constantly brought forward that the conservative gov't is not really conservative and you have seen outright attacks by true conservative think tanks and organizations towards Harper.

You are focusing on simply social policy...

^i don't see the Federal Conservatives having an identity crises, they moved to the center, just as the Federal liberals are trying to do. The WR are quite comparable to Federal Conservatives, they have some wing nuts at the extreme (all parties do, left or right), but are learning to silence them. Every party wants power and once they get it they seek to maintain it, this moderates extreme views. None of the 'scary' harper will ban abortion, guns on streets, etc happened with Federal PCs and it won't with WR either.
    Harper has had to contend with a right-wing faction that wanted to revisit same-sex marriage(and in fact succeeded in holding a vote), impose restrictions on abortion, as well as some Cold War nostalgists who don't like his open-door to China.

For the most part, Harper has managed to keep the right-wingers at bay. Whether Smith would have the same success managing her fringe is anyone's guess. I suspect that for the moment, whoever calls the shots for Wildrose knows that she, and the moderate image she represents, is their best shot at attaining power.

EDIT: Cross-posted with Daily Photo.

We elected Allison to undertake progressive change.... We should ask ourselves what happened or what stopped her from doing so.

Why did she have to "fight" so hard....

She was very clear on her mandate, she was elected by party members under that mandate, she was elected by voters under that mandate..... why are party brass raging against said mandate? Why is party brass chewing leaders up and spiting them out.... why is an unlected party controlling our gov't.

I think time will ring to light many of the GOOD changes Allison tried to ram through a party that didn't want to change...

The PC party needs to be the focus....... they are the Cancer, they are the unelected"ruler" of Alberta. I would have loved to See Allison give it to them in her pvt meeting.. and I am certain she did such a thing.

The "Party" does everything behind closed doors, the party "decides" what is best... The PC party needs to change.

The platform she ran on got conveniently thrown out the window of one of her new fleet of government SUV's that she traded in for the government sedans. I should imagine that piece of paper is floating in the North Saskatchewan river somewhere between here and Devon. Remember, it went something like more money for schools, raises, more money for hospital, raises blah, blah, b's b's. Then she does the exact opposite once she was crowned. No wonder the caucus was confused. The only thing Alison ever rammed was the taxpayers wallet.

One could blame the caucus if there was a lot of dirty laundry being tossed around but it was a very low popularity of the PCs that did it. Looking over the past couple of months, it's gone from 40% in January to 25% in early March to 19% a couple of days ago. I don't think it can be blamed on rot within the electorate.

http://www.threehundredeight.com/201...dford-and.html

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Wildr...678/story.html

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/To...857/story.html

Well, Redford was the catalyst to bringing them to an all time low. If they had issues with her leadership style, her spending, her attitude it should have been dealt with months ago. It also has to do with their instincts for survival. If they think they are going to sink they will throw anyone under the bus. Some of those older guys in the P.C. party are career politicians. Stuck in their ways and dithering along. Lurching from one portfolio to another and slavering over the anointed one. When that anointed one is out of favor the knives get sharpened. Maybe there should be terms on how long they can stay at the taxpayers trough.

Didn't take long for the sexism card to be played.

Politicians weigh in on whether sexism was part of Premier Redford's downfall

The departure of Alberta's first female premier this week, in the face of mounting public and party pressure, has reignited a familiar question: Did sexism play a role in her demise?

The Canadian Press contacted more than a dozen past and present politicians across the country for their thoughts. Some didn't respond and others didn't want to wade into the debate.

Former Edmonton Liberal MP Anne McLellan said while it's a complex issue, she's sure Alison Redford was treated differently because of her sex.

The Progressive Conservative premier made mistakes, McLellan said, but her caucus and voters — both male and female — had unfair expectations of her as a female leader.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...131/story.html

Gotta love when a woman screws up and consequences are to be had it's because of sexism. Alison Redford did this to herself. Nobody else. And you better not discuss it but if you do choose your words about as carefully as you possibly can because someone is just waiting to take something out of context and call you sexist.

For sure Redford brought this on herself. You are either a nice person or you're not. It appears she was not a very nice person. I have noticed that when she gets into a vehicle she expects some flunky to close the door for her. Your not that special, close it yourself. There is definitely an air of arrogance and superiority about her that gets under peoples skin. Breaking the rules by taking her daughter & friends on government planes and when called out on it plays the mommy card. In fact, that remark about working mothers set women back 40 years. There are plenty of women in high office who do their jobs just as well as men (if not better). Angela Merkel, Hilary Clinton, Margaret Thatcher, Condoleezza Rice etc. Being female never stopped them from getting on with their jobs or the people they worked with. Of course some of the blame should also be put on the P.C. party for not nipping dissenters in the bud.

Five things that led to Redford's resignation:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...116/story.html
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Default Morton: Three strikes, and Redford is out

"Why is Alison Redford gone? It’s not because of the alleged misuse of government aircraft. Yes, that was the fuse, but it ignited three deeper, more dangerous political landmines.

First, Redford never had the support of the PC party — top, middle, or base.

She won the 2011 leadership race not by engaging the PC faithful, but by going around them. She won by promising $500 million of new spending on teachers, nurses and other public sector workers; Albertans who would otherwise never vote PC, but became “two-minute Tories” just by buying memberships at the door on the last day of voting."

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Mo...430/story.html
    Last edited by TerryH; 22-03-2014 at 07:25 PM.

It seems she never did try to engage her caucus. She hired outsiders from down east who did not understand the nature of Albert politics and it's people. She got advice from these people and her caucus members were ignored or shunned. There is no i in team but it was all about her. The only word I can use for her time in office is 'squandered'. She squandered a golden opportunity. Although, there is plenty of blame to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post

The departure of Alberta's first female premier this week, in the face of mounting public and party pressure, has reignited a familiar question: Did sexism play a role in her demise?

The Canadian Press contacted more than a dozen past and present politicians across the country for their thoughts. Some didn't respond and others didn't want to wade into the debate.

Former Edmonton Liberal MP Anne McLellan said while it's a complex issue, she's sure Alison Redford was treated differently because of her sex.

The Progressive Conservative premier made mistakes, McLellan said, but her caucus and voters — both male and female — had unfair expectations of her as a female leader.

Gotta love when a woman screws up and consequences are to be had it's because of sexism. Alison Redford did this to herself. Nobody else. And you better not discuss it but if you do choose your words about as carefully as you possibly can because someone is just waiting to take something out of context and call you sexist.
    Its great you think the world is a equitable place and as a Caucasian male I am sure it seems that way but when you actually study the issue and use imperial data female leaders face a totally different set of expectations than a male leader.

there are numerous articles on it studied/endorsed by such people as the Harvard School of Business.

Are you saying you know better than the Harvard School of Business? Or are you saying Alberta is the "magical land" where the rest of the world has no influence and we all hug and sing and hold hands.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    "Why is Alison Redford gone? It’s not because of the alleged misuse of government aircraft. Yes, that was the fuse, but it ignited three deeper, more dangerous political landmines.

First, Redford never had the support of the PC party — top, middle, or base.

She won the 2011 leadership race not by engaging the PC faithful, but by going around them. She won by promising $500 million of new spending on teachers, nurses and other public sector workers; Albertans who would otherwise never vote PC, but became “two-minute Tories” just by buying memberships at the door on the last day of voting."

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Mo...430/story.html
    Did you see the very SCATHING reply to this?

Outspoken Tories play blame game over party’s crisis
    BY TAMARA GIGNAC, CALGARY HERALD MARCH 22, 2014

“Ted Morton is lecturing us about the PC party and its principles. I think it’s time for him to take a look in the mirror and talk a bit about what he did to the party.”

Morton’s decision not to support former leadership candidate Jim Dinning back in 2006 — and subsequent disagreements with Ed Stelmach while he was premier — contributed to the Tories’ current spate of troubles, Lipert argues.

“He decided it was going to be anything but Jim Dinning and ended up throwing his support to Stelmach — but then never worked well with Stelmach and his people and ended up being one of the reasons Stelmach resigned,” he said.

“It irritates me. When we were sitting in caucus together, he always had to lecture us. And here’s Ted lecturing Albertans again.”

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ou...792/story.html
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 24-03-2014 at 10:20 AM.

No kidding.What happened to Redford is not much different than what happened to Stelmach (won leadership race by coming up the middle, suffered high-profile MLAs leaving the party in protest over spending, etc.)

The "sexist" argument doesn't hold much water when you consider the popularity of Danielle Smith over Redford and the "guy" leaders like Raj and Brian Mason.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

No kidding.What happened to Redford is not much different than what happened to Stelmach (won leadership race by coming up the middle, suffered high-profile MLAs leaving the party in protest over spending, etc.)
    Was Stelmach publicly put on a PIP (Performance Improvement Program) by the party?

Ralph used the gov't planes like his fav Sunday drive.....

The Alberta Gov't is not Google we are not talking about a workforce of young fresh people... we are talking about a body that is full of people who openly rallied against things like gay rights.

There is a reason why women don't enter into politics and we should all question that.

PS I AM REALLY tired of reading BS about Redford using her daughter as some sort of MEAT SHIELD. Her daughter was there on a school trip, she was there as part of here entire Class.

I was lidtening to the Press Gallery over the weekend and they were far from Redford Lovers, as am I, but on some fronts she did some amazing things. Sadly a lot involve marginalized populations that the general public simply doesn't care about. Such as FAS and the criminal system. Did she fix the problem, now, did she start down the right road.. Yes! I hope she can continue this work in her new role because on the social/justice side of things she really is a champion.

In spite of everything, I don't think this resignation will hurt Redford's political career in the long run. She doesn't really owe anybody any favors for her becoming Premier, and nobody really owed her any favors, either. It's as close to "mutual" without being "mutual" as you can get.

I agree with Gemini that she kind of wasted the opportunity, though.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I was lidtening to the Press Gallery over the weekend and they were far from Redford Lovers, as am I, but on some fronts she did some amazing things.
    Yeah, Top_Dawg read and heard several of these so-called analysts and commenters say and write that granny did some amazing things.

Then invariably, every one of them fails to mention what they are.

Makes Top_Dawg wonder if there hasn't been some errors in translation.

Perhaps those quoted are analists.

Not analysts.

In spite of everything, I don't think this resignation will hurt Redford's political career in the long run. She doesn't really owe anybody any favors for her becoming Premier, and nobody really owed her any favors, either. It's as close to "mutual" without being "mutual" as you can get.

I agree with Gemini that she kind of wasted the opportunity, though.
    I really think that she was fought every step of the way by the party... and that is becoming clearer and clearer. at least in my eyes.

ps...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle17634215/

Redford’s tenure follows a familiar script for women in politics

First, the expectations placed on women party leaders are greater. Women are more likely than men, by about 25 percentage points, to be chosen to lead minor parties that were not serious contenders for power at the time of their selection. When we shift the gaze to major parties, the glass cliff phenomenon of women being more likely to be chosen to lead parties in electorally challenging situations appears. Christy Clark in B.C., Alison Redford in Alberta and Olive Crane of PEI were chosen when there were serious doubts about their party’s electoral chances. Pauline Marois was selected when the Action Démocratique du Québec had displaced the Parti Québécois as the official opposition in the previous election. Kathleen Wynne was chosen to lead the Ontario Liberals with the party in a precarious minority situation. Ms. Redford and Ms. Clark brought their parties back from the electoral precipice, but not even this miracle was enough to secure Ms. Redford another shot at an election.

Second, women party leaders are offered weaker support by the party that selects them as leaders than men. Focusing exclusively on major parties, women are on average likely to garner 57 per cent of the leadership vote; men, on the other hand, are likely to gain 69 per cent. Alison Redford won 51 per cent of the vote on the second round preferential ballot employed to select the leader, even less than the average.

And finally, women party leaders experience significantly shorter tenures than their male counterparts. Among major parties, women’s average is 2.4 years; for men, the equivalent figure is 5.3 years. It is rare, but not unheard of, for a male party leader who has won an election not to get a chance to defend his position in the next election. On the other hard, this is the norm for women party leaders. Again, Alison Redford fits the pattern; not only was her tenure just under the average, but she also wasn’t given the opportunity to contest a second election. Pauline Marois, on the other hand, has bucked the trend: she is the first elected woman provincial premier to survive long enough in her position to seek re-election. Yes, that’s not a misprint; she is the first and only one.

end...

Redford got some things wrong, but so have other leaders in other gov'ts. We have seen more men get away with worse than what Allison did. Its not all one thing but sexism is clear and present and it is PART of the conversation. many of you simply return to the "If she was only Nicer" well I hate to break it to you.. I know A LOT of "not nice" male leaders who demand respect. PKP is a perfect example. He is dam near a psychopath, which has been studied in successful male "leaders. He is a beacon to the conservative crowd. If a woman acted as he has she would be labeled a B Itch....
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 24-03-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Kathleen Wynne gives her support for Redford and suggests it was sexism that drove her out. Not exactly a glowing endorsement considering her and her party's incompetence in Ontario. It's interesting to see how much poor leadership is being blamed on others and some perceived slight. Should I bring up Pauline Marois?

Kathleen Wynne gives her support for Redford and suggests it was sexism that drove her out. Not exactly a glowing endorsement considering her and her party's incompetence in Ontario. It's interesting to see how much poor leadership is being blamed on others and some perceived slight. Should I bring up Pauline Marois?
    I pay little attention to Wynne, she should stick to her own problems

ok so what about Anne McClellan. Former Deputy PM of Canada, Senior Law Prof at the U of A and all round amazing women who did some pretty awesome things for Alberta.

What excuse do ya have to put down her opinion that sexism played a part in Redford stepping down....
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 24-03-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    ok so what about Anne McClellan. Former Depravity PM of Canada, Senior Law Prof at the U of A and all round amazing women who did some pretty awesome things for Alberta.

What excuse do ya have to put down her opinion that sexism played a part in Redford stepping down....
    McLellan always seemed to be be nothing more than a western herald for Chretien and Martin, rather than a voice for Edmonton. Not surprising that she served as a director on the Canadian Civil Liberties Association. What civil liberties club hasn't made a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to perceived slights.

What civil liberties club hasn't made a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to perceived slights.
    No kidding.

Redford made some screw-ups that snowballed and eventually got away from her. A better political tactician (whether male or female) would've been able to make it right much sooner.

^ that has nothing to do with my point and I never billed here as someone who simply did things for Edmonton. I said Alberta.

Regardless a very smart and well respected lady who was able to get elected in a riding that needs to appeal to both a progressive social base and a conservative one.

She has come out saying that sexism played a role... She could have take a partisan approach... she didn't.

I think its really easy to dismiss this portion of the drama that played out, but we will be much better as a society and politically if we really examine it and take steps to correct it.

What civil liberties club hasn't made a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to perceived slights.
    No kidding.

Redford made some screw-ups that snowballed and eventually got away from her. A better political tactician (whether male or female) would've been able to make it right much sooner.
    Mr Oilers.. even the Wildrose has changed their tune saying it really isn't Redford who was the problem, it's the Party.

I agree... it really is the party.... I have no doubt that the Party Directors had a HUGE part in this. How DARE unelected party brass openly shackle the leader. The party members had every opportunity to deal with this via the leadership review... and they have her huge support. The PARTY BRASS didn't like the results... THE PARTY BACKERS complained.

The PARTY is the real problem... not Allison, who was able to lead her gov't to a resounding majority on certain promises that "THE PARTY" likely didnt want.

The PARTY still thinks that their base is with them.. when their far right base went to the wildrose... and are not likely to return.

^Smith isn't going to say it was all Redford's fault. That would be claiming that the PCs are still a credible party that's just going through some bumps along the way. Better for the WR to say that it's the whole PC party that's the problem.

Exactly.

It is politically unwise to blame the leader for a party's woes, because leaders can always be replaced.

^ That't not what they were saying before however.... their attacks were largely and overwhelmingly directed at Redford.

Redford stepping down, I don't think, is what they wanted. They expected her to be the ferocious tenacious fighter she is and to plow ahead so they would be facing her in the next election.

The PC party needs someone like Mandel. They need someone who can out wit the opposition. Take their antics and turn them against them who will also restore a sense of common person to the party.

someone who also carries a lot of weight within the party who has the ability to navigate the change that is needed there. They need a closer... they need someone who will be in there for 1.5 terms.

In short they need a smart, slightly sarcastic, tephlon coated, change manager who is a policy wonk that is well connected in the party.

The change must come swift and deep, or at least the foundation of change needs to be there.

Teh gov't needs to open up. oversite committees need to be funded and given teeth. We need someone who will look at the oil industry and tells them that the gov't will not be the PR person for them but they will provide the oversite to allow them to be their own PR reps. We also need someone to address the tax code.

Despite the rhetoric the WR spouts we want our gov't to spend, we largely are ok with debt for the right reasons. We see no reason to save as we have been given no savings goal. All this province has to do is introduce progressive taxation and we will likely never have a budget "crisis" where we are slashing money to needed programs ever again..... I think the average Albertan has had enough of this absurdity laid before us via Ralph.....
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 24-03-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Perhaps if Redford could have contained her toxic personality she would still be premier.

QUOTE:

"^ That't not what they were saying before however.... their attacks were largely and overwhelmingly directed at Redford.

Redford stepping down, I don't think, is what they wanted. They expected her to be the ferocious tenacious fighter she is and to plow ahead so they would be facing her in the next election. "

UNQUOTE

Yes, I think think that EDP is basically in agreement with Terry and Mr. OIlers here: Wildrose is NOW blaming the party because Redford is no longer around to attack.

Whether Wildrose can keep the momentum of animosity going is anyone's guess. Often, an unpopular leader does so much damage to the party's rep that they can't recover, even after he or she has been turfed. The BC Socreds got wiped out even after Vanderzalm had resigned, for example. Though it didn't help that they stupidly picked a Vanderzalm loyalist as their new leader.

re: Mandel.

Granted, I'm observing this from a distance, but I really don't see him having much selling-power outside of Edmonton and maybe a few other urban locales. I suppose if he won every seat in Edmonton, AND every seat in Calgary, and/or a few others(mostly in the Edmonton area, I'd imagine), he might be able to scrape together a bare majority, but I think it would still be a bit of a risk.

Perhaps if Redford could have contained her toxic personality she would still be premier.
    Lets have you win an election which was the Tories to loose, have you backed into a corner from internal forces and have teh "party" nerfing you at every turn and lets see if you don't become a rage monkey.

Again I point out that there are MANY celebrated "not so nice " leaders... who are male.

The reality is... she was elected, she won against all odds, she brought with here a progressive element that left the party YEARS ago.... and people couldn't stand that change. the party funders... complained. THE PARTY... rules this province, not our elected leader and this should give us concern.

I could careless if redford was "not a nice lady" frankly speaking... the Tories need someone to rock their soul. They need to clue in that it was the PROGRESSIVE vote that got them re elected. The "conservative" aspect largely fled to the Wild Rose...

Via the national post.

People need to start taking a DAM HARD look at these results and accepting the results. The PC party continues to think this is 1994. Alberta has changed and we cannot continue rding on the once amazing infrastructure the was built for the babyboomers.

The Wildrose adds next to NOTHING in way of vision for this province. Redford did and i am sure after the Tory party falls Redfords tell all book will be SCATHING and very interesting to read.

Alberta has a HUGE progressive population now. Its time for Alberta to stop being controlled by rural farmers. Calgary elected LIBERALS for the love of things holly.....

For the record, the Post map is not accurate, and shows, among other things, Wildrose winning more seats in the north than they really did. I think it was made when the votes were still being tallied, and they've never updated it.

Wikipedia has the definitive map...

http://tinyurl.com/khaccba

^ still paints a good picture... and is very telling of the Wild rose support....

Point is...we need to stop being beholden to a noisy group of Southern Alberta farmers/ranchers.

We need to clue into who actually can control the political agenda.... that is people more left of center....

I will be buying a PC membership to vote once in the upcoming leadership race to once again hit home that the PC party is not the home for the FAR right. That being said the PC party has moved from a 3 participant ranked ballot to only two... we can also expect them to increase the entry cost.. it went from 15,000 to 30,000... I expect the next one will be $50,000 plus for the ability to run. The PC party brass wil do EVERYTHING they can in order to control the next leadership race as to get exactly WHO they want which has not happened in... a VERY long time.

^ still paints a good picture... and is very telling of the Wild rose support....

Point is...we need to stop being beholden to a noisy group of Southern Alberta farmers/ranchers.

We need to clue into who actually can control the political agenda.... that is people more left of center....

I will be buying a PC membership to vote once in the upcoming leadership race to once again hit home that the PC party is not the home for the FAR right. That being said the PC party has moved from a 3 participant ranked ballot to only two... we can also expect them to increase the entry cost.. it went from 15,000 to 30,000... I expect the next one will be $50,000 plus for the ability to run. The PC party brass wil do EVERYTHING they can in order to control the next leadership race as to get exactly WHO they want which has not happened in... a VERY long time.

We also have to remember that the P.C's were voted in by only 44% of the population. 56% of the population did not want them. How many of the 56% that did not vote P.C's did that because they did not like Redford. At least the 56% that did not vote P.C. managed to get an opposition that kept them on their toes. If the opposition got the P.C. caucus to the point of near submission well, that's a good thing.

^ that's an interesting parable but not much in the way of facts. My story is I elected a progressive leader expecting progression... The wildrose is not my fuel. It may be some... But not mine. I won't be the only person that thinks along these lines. So great story Gemini but not really fact

^Gem didn't say that the 56% was all Wildrose...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Yes, but I think that EDP's point was that the electorate is not majority right-wing. Tallying up the Tory, Liberal, NDP and Alberta Party vote, that's a little over 65% of the vote for parties that are to the left of Wildrose. Compared to 34.3 for Wildrose.

Of course, whether or not you consider that 65% to be wholly left-wing depends on how you regard the Tories. Suffice to say, at the very least, the solid majority of voters in 2012 did not want something as right-wing as Wildrose.

But it will be interesting to see if Wildrose can successfully purge its SoCon element, which supposedly turned off the electorate last time, and if the Tories can successfully erase the public's memory of Redford. If Wildrose gets rid of the Lake Of Fire clan, while the Tories fail to shake off Redford, that could spell trouble for the latter party.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Yes, but I think that EDP's point was that the electorate is not majority right-wing. Tallying up the Tory, Liberal, NDP and Alberta Party vote, that's a little over 65% of the vote for parties that are to the left of Wildrose. Compared to 34.3 for Wildrose.

Of course, whether or not you consider that 65% to be wholly left-wing depends on how you regard the Tories. Suffice to say, at the very least, the solid majority of voters in 2012 did not want something as right-wing as Wildrose.

But it will be interesting to see if Wildrose can successfully purge its SoCon element, which supposedly turned off the electorate last time, and if the Tories can successfully erase the public's memory of Redford. If Wildrose gets rid of the Lake Of Fire clan, while the Tories fail to shake off Redford, that could spell trouble for the latter party.
    My point is that Gemini has put forward what speaks to him as the finite answer to life the universe and everything. I am pointing out that I don't follow it. I did not vote for the PC because of the wildrose. I voted them because they put forward a progressive platform. Too much credit is given to the wildrose too often.

As far as the Socon point you raised.... its great to try to be a home for everyone.. but you simply cant. I don't care how how much you move to the center the wildrose is still the elected home of the right. That's no issue. The right needs a home. The Right is part of Alberta and deserve a home.... I am done with partisanship. What I do have a problem with is thing that the wildrose will not end up with the same trouble the Tories are having. A more progressive agenda with a base that doesn't want that.

The wildrose is simply another party that will do anything and say anything to get power. a nice new glossy policy book doesn't change the party base. I am not seeing wildrose version 2.0 as a real change. The wildrose is now standing up for big labor?

Look at their building alberta hand out... http://www.wildrose.ca/media/2014/01...ld-Alberta.pdf

Not a single city shot... Combines, ranchers... This speaks to the culture of the party. How do you havea "Building alberta position and totally neglect the urban when over half your population lives in two cities... The wildrose at one point said they would axe LRT funding... These people are the majority of the party no matter what their "policy wank book says"

What ever happened to Smith "learning to understand Edmonton" my god what a bunch of bullsh*t. She was learning to understand Edmonton... where was her trying to champion LRT funding for us? where was the recognition for our single biggest priority. The party is supposed to be a home for the libertarian movement as well, but when she viewed a political opportunity she was willing to waltz into Edmonton like Godzilla and start razing years of planing and progression in order secure rural votes.

with that I will stop ranting.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 25-03-2014 at 09:58 AM.

^Ah, yes, your point about Gemini and the finite answer to the universe and everything.
    Hey, dude, most of us are still wondering when the mother ship picked you up and if its going to bring you back.
    Last edited by Gemini; 25-03-2014 at 07:41 PM.

^ mmmmhmmm

More info on South Africa trip

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03...ong-documents/

The prime minister’s office invited Ms. Redford, who had a personal connection to Mr. Mandela, to attend the service in December; according to the documents, the invitation was extended for only one seat on the plane and one hotel room. No staff could attend. All air and ground transportation and security were to be provided by and at the expense of the federal government.
    Neither Mr. Stables, nor anyone else offered an explanation as to why he needed to come along.
    I am starting to have some thoughts, which I think I'll keep to myself lest I get the poor Admin in trouble!

'The same doofus accompanied Redford to London for a taxpayer funded weekend retreat. They should change the party name form P.C's to C.P's (conservative parasites).

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03...at-to-england/
    Last edited by Gemini; 27-03-2014 at 10:31 PM.

I also posted this in the Federal Building thread:

Redford ordered personal penthouse suite in Federal Building
    Suite shelved after months of planning

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ding-1.2589713

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast